PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Walter?

Ezekiel Rage
10-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Man is it just me, or has this guy's play been pretty brutal? I hate to dog on the guy on too much, but after that play on the onside kick today I couldn't help myself.

Wasn't he brought in to be our #3 receiver behind AJ and Moulds? I seem to remember Kubiak and Co. calling him an up and coming player after they signed him away from the Bengals. So far I haven't seen anything from him to remotely justify that contract we gave him.

It's starting to look like the Bengals didn't have that hard of a decision to make when it came to offer him a tender or not...Am I way off here?

- James
Long time lurker, first time poster

gtexan02
10-02-2006, 12:48 AM
I agree. He had a good 1st down catch today, but other than that all i can remember him doing is fumbling the ball away. I've been very disapointed in this guy. He has great size and measureables, but no ability to get open or something.

K.D.
10-02-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty satisfied with him so far. He haven't had much playing time like he did today, but the guy made afew plays today. With more PT, he's going to be an asset to the recieving core. Remember he's not a burner, he's a possession guy and that's where he earn's his paycheck. On the onside kick, it's just one of those things that happens.

Mattheus_Rex
10-02-2006, 12:50 AM
I think we need to look at RB's harder. The recieving core is fine for now, and Ron Dayne is a good bruiser, but other than that, the Texans look like my fantasy football team, picking up other peoples scraps.

Grid
10-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Gado hasnt had a chance to show anything yet. Its entirely possible that Dayne and Gado could be the future of this franchise at RB.

clandestin
10-02-2006, 01:02 AM
While the onside kick was certainly nerve wracking, if you watch the onside kick again on tape it didn't go anywhere close to 10 yards. Even if the Phins had recovered it would have been overturned.

Scooter
10-02-2006, 01:09 AM
i've gotta tell ya, i'm not a walters fan. he's going to have to string together a probowl season to get on my good side ... and i'm not even sure that would do it. i'm sorry but walters wasnt worth trading a draft pick for to begin with. he's got a drop, an uncontested interception, a very costly holding penalty, and a near fatal muffed kickoff ... IN TWO GAMES. what kills me about this is he's taking the place of one of my favorite players - derrick armstrong. derrick "glue for hands" armstrong doesnt drop the pass, doesnt muff the kickoff, and if you've ever seen the kid play, his effort and uncanny leaping ability (which went unnoticed) turns that INT into a touchdown or atleast an incomplete pass. walters doesnt scare anyone with his size and doesnt have the "stickum hands" required for a slot receiver ... nor does he seem to have carr's trust. maybe i'm being overly critical, but walters has a LOT of ground to make up ... especially with a pair of probowlers surrounding him.

utahmark
10-02-2006, 02:05 AM
While the onside kick was certainly nerve wracking, if you watch the onside kick again on tape it didn't go anywhere close to 10 yards. Even if the Phins had recovered it would have been overturned.

once we touch it doesnt matter how far it goes.

LBC_Justin
10-02-2006, 03:07 AM
i've gotta tell ya, i'm not a walters fan. he's going to have to string together a probowl season to get on my good side ... and i'm not even sure that would do it. i'm sorry but walters wasnt worth trading a draft pick for to begin with. he's got a drop, an uncontested interception, a very costly holding penalty, and a near fatal muffed kickoff ... IN TWO GAMES. what kills me about this is he's taking the place of one of my favorite players - derrick armstrong. derrick "glue for hands" armstrong doesnt drop the pass, doesnt muff the kickoff, and if you've ever seen the kid play, his effort and uncanny leaping ability (which went unnoticed) turns that INT into a touchdown or atleast an incomplete pass. walters doesnt scare anyone with his size and doesnt have the "stickum hands" required for a slot receiver ... nor does he seem to have carr's trust. maybe i'm being overly critical, but walters has a LOT of ground to make up ... especially with a pair of probowlers surrounding him.
I am going to have to disagree with you here.

If you ask the Bengal fans the one thing they will say about Walter is that he has "Stickum Hands", saying that he catches everything thrown in his direction.

Now I certainly agree we haven't seen this yet but let's give the guy a chance. Give him time.

I liked Armstrong too but at this point we have to trust Kubiak and company. Did Armstrong get picked up by another team? where is he at?

real
10-02-2006, 08:38 AM

uhhh....if a Texans player has touched the ball...it doesn't matter how far the ball goes....

real
10-02-2006, 08:42 AM
I am not sure what the uproar about Walters is about....He is our third best reciever...period....didn't we only give up a 7th for the guy ??? That is a steal IMO....he had some mistakes...but none of them were costly...some could have been...but they weren't....holding...everybody does it occasionally...and the muffed catch on the onside recovery...he needs to work on that..but overall he didn't have a great game, but I don't think it was horrendous either...

Mr. White
10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
I remember him getting a pretty clutch catch yesterday across the middle. I think that he's a good receiver. Not to say there isn't room to improve...

It seems like this was the first game in which Carr threw at him more than once. I think that once the offense hits a rhythm, he'll get better. (By using the word "rhythm," I mean that right now, the offense isn't exactly balanced. It doesn't seem like the ball even got thrown to the TE's yesterday.)

I think that Kubiak had Ed McCaffrey in mind when he made the trade for Kevin Walter.

phan1
10-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Well, when he was on the field he sure played well. He made some clutch catches in that game! But yeah, he needed to get it done on that onside kick. But I'm very happy with him. It looks like he replaced out TEs today. I think he lined up there if I'm not mistaken. I hardly remember any TE catching a pass today...

DocBar
10-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Gado hasnt had a chance to show anything yet. Its entirely possible that Dayne and Gado could be the future of this franchise at RB.

From what I've seen of our running game, if they're our future, we'll be a perennial contender for the 1st pick in the draft. Less than 3 YPC is horrendous, regardless of talent, blocking schemes or O-line. Dayne and Gado missed SEVERAL nice holes yesterday and ran into the pile like they had blinders on.

real
10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
From what I've seen of our running game, if they're our future, we'll be a perennial contender for the 1st pick in the draft. Less than 3 YPC is horrendous, regardless of talent, blocking schemes or O-line. Dayne and Gado missed SEVERAL nice holes yesterday and ran into the pile like they had blinders on.

I agree with you 100000%

marroncito
10-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I liked Armstrong too but at this point we have to trust Kubiak and company. Did Armstrong get picked up by another team? where is he at?

Armstrong is playing in the CFL now. I think he's on the Blue Bombers.

HOU-TEX
10-02-2006, 03:41 PM

HaHa! My wife was with me at the game yesterday and that's the first thing she noticed was Dayne running into the pile. She was saying "if my own player were to keep running into my back the whole game, I'd be kickin somebodies butt". It was funny, guess ya had to be there.:yahoo:

I agree, there was several times the one cut back was missing the cut part all together.:wild:

jerek
10-02-2006, 04:44 PM
IMO Walter is functional but I'm not sure why he was considered better than Armstrong; I think they play a similar game. I hope Mathis can develop as a WR because we could surely use his speed in the slot.

texan279
10-02-2006, 05:08 PM

God I hope not...

bigTEXan8
10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
i'd just like to see the texans get walter a little more playing time.

TexanFanInCC
10-02-2006, 06:00 PM

are you serious? :confused: :yawn:

Hervoyel
10-02-2006, 06:00 PM

Think about what you're saying there. "3 YPC is horrendous..."

ok, I'm with you so far.

"...regardless of talent, blocking, schemes or O-line"

Say what?

Ok, so you expect Ron Dayne to get more than 3 yards per carry running behind an offensive line composed of a group of guys where Jimmy Herndon and Ryan Schau are the cream of the crop. None of them block anyone, and the coaches scheme calls for them all to block the man directly in front of them regardless of where the play is going and whether or not there is actually a man directly in front of them. The coach also wants them to wear their helmets backwards for luck.

I didn't think so.

You can't look at a statistic like YPC by itself without regard to anything else and deduce anything useful from it.

By week 10 Ron Dayne could be tying together 100 yard games or he could be doing exactly what we're seeing right now. Nobody really knows at this point.

ArlingtonTexan
10-02-2006, 06:56 PM

Possible yes...probable no.

TexansSeminole
10-02-2006, 06:58 PM

I think the possiblity of this is something like 1%. Unless Gado can become twice as fast, as he has looked very very slow. Or Dayne starts running with authority or also becomes faster.

taxman
10-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Just keep in mind that this whole Texan team is in uncharted waters. Look how the coaches handled the 2 minute drill just before half time. They didn't. They all need alot of work to get this machine going. Oh, by the way, Walter did get 3 catches and 3 first downs to keep the chaines moving.

sprtsfanatic
10-02-2006, 11:43 PM

god lets hope not, because if they are our future there will be plenty of people who are going to be nagging about not picking you know who with the 1st pick eventhough our 1st pick looks to be coming on. And yes I said coming on...if the officials would throw a flag for everytime he gets held on those bullrushes and goes around the person defending him...there would be no telling how bad we would be winning the field position battle EVERY GAME.

run-david-run
10-03-2006, 01:18 AM
He made some very important grabs for first downs. If he can be a decent possesion receiver with Moulds and AJ on the outside and Daniels at TE, we should be a very good and very balanced passing team..cough cough Marvin, Reggie, Dallas, Brandon..cough cough

Bearfan Blue and Orange
10-03-2006, 04:46 PM
There are two things that are going to make this offense a threat...

1. Pass blocking has to give Carr the time to make more than 1 or 2 reads on the progression. second part of #1 - Carr has to be able to make reads faster and determine if he is going to be open enough to throw the ball and if not move to the next progression

2. need to put 3 WR sets on the field to make the best use of this 3 headed monster that can and will pick apart defenses.

Without #1 you will not see enough of #2 to keep defenses off balance. if you only do a couple or few 3wr sets, guess what the defense is going to think, back off and cover because it is a PASS!!!

I am sure Kevin wants to be out there more, but he has to wait for his opportunity and when his number is called produce... He has done that.

Kevin is a big guy with GREAT hands and very good speed for his size. a guy that is 6'3/6'4 215lbs and has 4.4 speed is a definite asset.

Every WR needs reps to get into a rhythm and Kevin is no different.

So in my opinion, you cannot really get down on him until he is getting more reps in a game and more looks for an opportunity to produce larger numbers.

As far as Armstrong, you cannot look as Kevin beat him out, there were 2 other WR positions behind kevin and he got beat out by those 2.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey guys, for some reason I can't start a new thread.

however, I wanted to mention that Carr is on the Jim Rome show tomorrow.

I need someone to give me skinny because I have to work tomorrow.

Texanfan4ever
10-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, for some reason I can't start a new thread.

however, I wanted to mention that Carr is on the Jim Rome show tomorrow.

I need someone to give me skinny because I have to work tomorrow.

When is it on and where?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Rome comes on at 11a.m. and runs until two. I don't know when DC is supposed to come on.

Meloy
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty satisfied with him so far. He haven't had much playing time like he did today, but the guy made afew plays today. With more PT, he's going to be an asset to the recieving core. Remember he's not a burner, he's a possession guy and that's where he earn's his paycheck. On the onside kick, it's just one of those things that happens. Isn't playing time earned by what a player does in practice? How did a rookie TE Daniels beat out Putzier & Breuner? Right now I'm skeptical of both Putzier & Walters.:twocents:

GP
10-03-2006, 11:57 PM
He made some very important grabs for first downs. If he can be a decent possesion receiver with Moulds and AJ on the outside and Daniels at TE, we should be a very good and very balanced passing team..cough cough Marvin, Reggie, Dallas, Brandon..cough cough

Yes, he did.

He made two very CLUTCH grabs on long yardage situations to keep the chains moving, one of those late in the game.

This guy is getting bagged on because he's not highlighting it. Wait until he pulls down a TD reception like Owen Daniels did, and then he'll be getting so much love around here.

Seems like there's a contigency of message board fans here who try to find the "guy who isn't producing highlight reel material" and start doubting why "the guy" is even in the NFL at all. Pretty dadgum hard to get a ball thrown your way, as the No. 3 receiver on the field, when the No. 1 and No. 2 guys are AJ and Moulds.

I predict that as the season wears on, and as more teams attempt to stop AJ and Moulds, we will see more plays by Walter. He'll become the beneficiary of being overlooked. And THEN...well, that's when the real fun begins because teams will also start to focus on Walter, which leaves a few TEs on our roster open to also start getting those looks.

I think we don't even really understand how well Kubiak's system is going to produce. You're going to see a different "stud" each game, sort of like the 90s Cowboys when Aikman could go to Harper or Irvin or Moose or Emmitt or Johnston or Novacek...they had so many different ways to beat defenses, especially near the goalline. It was like "pick your poison," a lot like it is today with the Colts, and to some degree it's like that with the Bengals.

Lots of different ways to beat a defense that has to commit to one or two star-quality offensive players...and yet there's two or three more out there who can get it done in clutch situations, as well.

The thing I like the most about what I am seeing in Carr is that from game-to-game he is spreading the ball around. Over time, when upcoming opponents study film, they get the sense that our QB can go to any of those guys...at any time he chooses, if he truly wants to...and that sort of thing begins to wear on a defense because it's like, "Where do we start? Who do we commit to, and then how do we compensate for the guys leftover that we cannot cover?"

And that's the thing that I think is the best attribute about Denver's style: WRs who can play ball, TEs who can play ball, RBs who can play ball, and a QB who can distribute the ball to the right people at the right time. If we get a running game going, then you best look out.

Unless the train comes off the tracks, and if Kubiak can keep these guys tuned into his system and believeing in it, we have no clue whatsoever as to how good we can become. Kris Brown will need Tums again.

Man, that was such a good post...I'm going to make it its own thread.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
10-04-2006, 10:40 AM
Yes, he did.

He made two very CLUTCH grabs on long yardage situations to keep the chains moving, one of those late in the game.

This guy is getting bagged on because he's not highlighting it. Wait until he pulls down a TD reception like Owen Daniels did, and then he'll be getting so much love around here.

Seems like there's a contigency of message board fans here who try to find the "guy who isn't producing highlight reel material" and start doubting why "the guy" is even in the NFL at all. Pretty dadgum hard to get a ball thrown your way, as the No. 3 receiver on the field, when the No. 1 and No. 2 guys are AJ and Moulds.

I predict that as the season wears on, and as more teams attempt to stop AJ and Moulds, we will see more plays by Walter. He'll become the beneficiary of being overlooked. And THEN...well, that's when the real fun begins because teams will also start to focus on Walter, which leaves a few TEs on our roster open to also start getting those looks.

I think we don't even really understand how well Kubiak's system is going to produce. You're going to see a different "stud" each game, sort of like the 90s Cowboys when Aikman could go to Harper or Irvin or Moose or Emmitt or Johnston or Novacek...they had so many different ways to beat defenses, especially near the goalline. It was like "pick your poison," a lot like it is today with the Colts, and to some degree it's like that with the Bengals.

Lots of different ways to beat a defense that has to commit to one or two star-quality offensive players...and yet there's two or three more out there who can get it done in clutch situations, as well.

The thing I like the most about what I am seeing in Carr is that from game-to-game he is spreading the ball around. Over time, when upcoming opponents study film, they get the sense that our QB can go to any of those guys...at any time he chooses, if he truly wants to...and that sort of thing begins to wear on a defense because it's like, "Where do we start? Who do we commit to, and then how do we compensate for the guys leftover that we cannot cover?"

And that's the thing that I think is the best attribute about Denver's style: WRs who can play ball, TEs who can play ball, RBs who can play ball, and a QB who can distribute the ball to the right people at the right time. If we get a running game going, then you best look out.

Unless the train comes off the tracks, and if Kubiak can keep these guys tuned into his system and believeing in it, we have no clue whatsoever as to how good we can become. Kris Brown will need Tums again.

Man, that was such a good post...I'm going to make it its own thread.

GREAT POST!!!