PDA

View Full Version : Corner was turned today

txhoosier
10-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Mark it down...Today was the day...The rushing TD by Carr was the play on which this team turned it around. Had that play happened early in the game, you would have seen a 30+ point performance by the Texans offense today.

Carr walked to the line of scrimmage, and sold the Miami Defense on the play going to the right, and then walked in. The swagger that he put on heading into the end zone, and the subsequent heave of the ball into the stands (that's one lucky fan, IMO) was what Kubiak has been putting in his ear since he arrived, and the light bulb came on today. Had the Dolphins made that 2 point conversion, I had NO worries that Carr would march the team downfield to win the game. I was actually kind of hoping they would make it, so that he would HAVE to do it.

In the past...Carr would curl up and drop when he was certain to get hit in the pocket...today, I saw him MANY times get the pass away, and take the hit. He's been knocked around...and GD it, he's not going to take it any more. That's the attitude that I saw in the second half today. Congratulations, Texans fans...you have witnessed a rebirth. What sucks is that you have a bye week.

Truth be told, I said at the beginning of the season that I had a bad feeling in my gut that this would be the season that the Texans take their first game against the Colts...Christmas Eve should be an interesting game...I will say it now that the Texans will be battling for playoff position on Christmas Eve, and I expect a shootout.

Go Colts! (and the Texans if they aren't playing them!!!) :D

Grid
10-01-2006, 03:39 PM
If you are right I will buy a Peyton Manning jersey.

Snapple
10-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks... hey, nice win for the Colts today. They got down, but Peyton was clutch on those last two TD drives.

Good thing, because I had the Colts in survival football today!

txhoosier
10-01-2006, 03:46 PM
If you are right I will buy a Peyton Manning jersey.
I'll put my money where my mouth is...

I just picked up Carr in one of my fantasy leagues. I'll start him against Dallas. THAT's how confident I am in what I saw today.

It is the EXACT same look that Peyton had in a game against Cincinnati towards the end of his first season in the league. (they were 3-13 that year). I was in the end zone seats...and was looking right in his face. The very next season, they were 13-3, and on track to be where they are now.

I moved here 4+ years ago, and have watched the Texans just like I watched the Colts in the lean years. They are going to be exciting to watch.

jerek
10-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I can't wait to read from the Haterade crowd about how Carr was being cocky and has nothing to show off about ... the game guys that two weeks ago might've been complaining about lack of heart, fire, leadership, etc.

His INT was just unfortunate, I thought it was a good decision on Carr's part. He didn't blow my socks off today but I thought he played well and as someone pointed out earlier (might have been Vinny) I thought he made big passes in traffic and when they counted, and in that sense it might be his best showing in terms of maturity and improvement. The deep ball to Andre comes immediately to mind.

We should've beaten Miami and we did. A W is a W and I'm glad we came up with it.

Vinny
10-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I thought this was a Dunta thread at first. I thought it said, 'corner was burned today' instead of 'corner was turned today'.

jerek
10-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Speaking of Dunta, he's looked very average lately. Opposing QBs are still targeting Sanders much more frequently but Dunta has looked very ... average.

Vinny
10-01-2006, 04:00 PM
His INT was just unfortunate, I thought it was a good decision on Carr's part. He didn't blow my socks off today but I thought he played well and as someone pointed out earlier (might have been Vinny) I thought he made big passes in traffic and when they counted, and in that sense it might be his best showing in terms of maturity and improvement. The deep ball to Andre comes immediately to mind.Carr probably played his best game today as far as making plays in the flow of the game when the game is on the line. Even though we beat a really bad Dolphin team Mario played decent and Carr played well sans a few brutal moments. About time the guys that get paid the most play a decent game. :fishing:

I was watching the 9er game on streaming net.....ugh, dat was ugly. :francis:

bckey
10-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm very happy the Texans won today. Our offense is improving every week. Unfortunately our defense is horrible. Dunta was burned really bad when it was critical to stop Miami and retain the lead. Richard Smith worries me.

phan1
10-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Carr is going to continue to get better too. However, I would still like to see him lead our offense to a W in the closing moments of a game. Those are the things that turn "good" QBs into "great" QBs. Can you believe it's been 3 1/4 years and he's never done that before. I think it's definitely going to happen this season hopefully.

He was really clutch in his own way though. Converting those 3rd and longs was great to see. I was thinking "man, Carr is either gong to get sacked or dump it off to one of his backs", but to see him convert those 3rd downs was amazing to see. I've never seen him do that before! Kubiak is really making his mark on Carr.

Now, for gawd's sake give this man a running game! Oline needs to step it up!

txhoosier
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM

I just picked up Carr in one of my fantasy leagues. I'll start him against Dallas. THAT's how confident I am in what I saw today.

...and just like that, I had to drop him...I have Vick and Leinart, and I picked up Carr, dropping Leinart, but alas...that would leave me with no QB for next week...My only hope is Favre next week...

but...I'm picking up Carr as soon as Favre's game is over next weekend. I'm playing him against Dallas in Week 6.

painekiller
10-01-2006, 04:32 PM

I want to point out how far behind you are. I started Carr today in 2 of my leagues. And BTW I was on the get rid of Carr bandwagon last off season. So I am not being a homer or DC apologist.

Mysteryhunt
10-01-2006, 04:34 PM
thanks for the update, we're all really interested in your fantasy team. please let us know if anything changes.

painekiller
10-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Carr is going to continue to get better too. However, I would still like to see him lead our offense to a W in the closing moments of a game. Those are the things that turn "good" QBs into "great" QBs. Can you believe it's been 3 1/4 years and he's never done that before. I think it's definitely going to happen this season hopefully.

Against Jacksonville diving over the OL for a TD doesn't jar any memories? That was a very late score and a come from behind win.

K.D.
10-01-2006, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=phan1;458207]Carr is going to continue to get better too. However, I would still like to see him lead our offense to a W in the closing moments of a game. Those are the things that turn "good" QBs into "great" QBs. Can you believe it's been 3 1/4 years and he's never done that before. I think it's definitely going to happen this season hopefully.

Think back to the first time we beat the dolphins in '04 I think. He drove the team down the field for the game-winning fg. But at this point I'll take a win by ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!:yahoo:

Ibar_Harry
10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
During the after game presser their were some interesting comments that I think bode well for our future. To begin with Mario actually anticipated the play when he tipped the ball. He was relaxed enough to think and realize and analyze the situation. That means he is no longer exploding brain wise and beginning to think. That could be a huge step.

Carr said the big play was to Moulds and that Moulds sensed and broke his routue off a little short sensing the pressure on Carr. Carr stated it was great to have the confidence of the coach to make that Pass. We are beginning to fire on all cylinders, its just needs some more tweaking. There wree some very hopeful signs regarding this team. Lets just hope they continue. People are beginning to be relaxed enough to think about what is happening. Again, that is big news.....

GP
10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Mark it down...Today was the day...The rushing TD by Carr was the play on which this team turned it around. Had that play happened early in the game, you would have seen a 30+ point performance by the Texans offense today.

Carr walked to the line of scrimmage, and sold the Miami Defense on the play going to the right, and then walked in. The swagger that he put on heading into the end zone, and the subsequent heave of the ball into the stands (that's one lucky fan, IMO) was what Kubiak has been putting in his ear since he arrived, and the light bulb came on today. Had the Dolphins made that 2 point conversion, I had NO worries that Carr would march the team downfield to win the game. I was actually kind of hoping they would make it, so that he would HAVE to do it.

In the past...Carr would curl up and drop when he was certain to get hit in the pocket...today, I saw him MANY times get the pass away, and take the hit. He's been knocked around...and GD it, he's not going to take it any more. That's the attitude that I saw in the second half today. Congratulations, Texans fans...you have witnessed a rebirth. What sucks is that you have a bye week.

Truth be told, I said at the beginning of the season that I had a bad feeling in my gut that this would be the season that the Texans take their first game against the Colts...Christmas Eve should be an interesting game...I will say it now that the Texans will be battling for playoff position on Christmas Eve, and I expect a shootout.

Go Colts! (and the Texans if they aren't playing them!!!) :D

LOL. OK, OK...it was a win.

But slow down on the "turned the corner" ideas.

IMO, this was about as close to a gimmee' win as it gets. That Dolphins team looked a lot like the Texans if you ask me. I had stated earlier that we were not better than the Dolphins, but that we are better than the Raiders and the Titans. I still stand by that statement even though we won today.

We still have a long long ways go. Savor today's win because I don't think we beat the Cowboys. Their passing attack is ripping up defensive backfields. It'll take a lot of blitzing by our defense, some turnovers that go our way, and an even MORE solid effort by our offense if we're going to beat the Boys.

I'll grant you this: We won, and that feels awesome. I just have seen enough ups and (mostly) downs with this team to know that it might still have to get worse before it gets better. Marios' sacks probably are turning the tide for our team's confidence more than anything else. We needed our big dog to come up with some firepower, and he delivered...it feeds their hunger for pressuring the QB.

txhoosier
10-01-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks for the update, we're all really interested in your fantasy team. please let us know if anything changes.
I'm assuming that your comment here is meant to be sarcastic...My point in starting this thread was to give Carr his props. Sorry if it turned into a FF thread, or if that bothered you. You would think with the crap that gets spewed on these boards by opposing team's fans, one would either appreciate some words of encouragement, or just skip the thread altogether, but hey...there are some people in this world who just naturally keep the discussion as negative as they can.

I want to point out how far behind you are. I started Carr today in 2 of my leagues. And BTW I was on the get rid of Carr bandwagon last off season. So I am not being a homer or DC apologist.
well...considering that he's available in BOTH of my leagues, I would say that i'm not the only one that hasn't considered him...not to mention that I'm 3-0 and 2-1, so I'm doing pretty well, i guess. Props to you for taking him, though. He's definitely playing better this season.

txhoosier
10-01-2006, 04:48 PM
LOL. OK, OK...it was a win.

But slow down on the "turned the corner" ideas.

IMO, this was about as close to a gimmee' win as it gets. That Dolphins team looked a lot like the Texans if you ask me. I had stated earlier that we were not better than the Dolphins, but that we are better than the Raiders and the Titans. I still stand by that statement even though we won today.

We still have a long long ways go. Savor today's win because I don't think we beat the Cowboys. Their passing attack is ripping up defensive backfields. It'll take a lot of blitzing by our defense, some turnovers that go our way, and an even MORE solid effort by our offense if we're going to beat the Boys.

I'll grant you this: We won, and that feels awesome. I just have seen enough ups and (mostly) downs with this team to know that it might still have to get worse before it gets better. Marios' sacks probably are turning the tide for our team's confidence more than anything else. We needed our big dog to come up with some firepower, and he delivered...it feeds their hunger for pressuring the QB.

2 bad teams played today. The Texans emerged as a team that has found it's identity. Had Carr run that TD in the 1st quarter, today's game would have been a blowout. He came RIGHT back the next series and threw that pass to AJ, and made it look E-Z.

The point is that when this season is over...that will be the play that marks the turning point, IMO. I could be wrong...I'm no expert...but I think that some things are going to start happening for the Texans.

GP
10-01-2006, 04:51 PM
2 bad teams played today. The Texans emerged as a team that has found it's identity. Had Carr run that TD in the 1st quarter, today's game would have been a blowout. He came RIGHT back the next series and threw that pass to AJ, and made it look E-Z.

The point is that when this season is over...that will be the play that marks the turning point, IMO. I could be wrong...I'm no expert...but I think that some things are going to start happening for the Texans.

I debate your assessment by only one factor: Mario's sack(s).

I think the roar of the crowd, the celebration of the defense, and the whole mood of the defense after that point was perhaps just as much of a turning point as anything.

Today was a big day because Carr "executed" well when he needed to, and Mario got that monkey off his back so that now he can just settle into the trenches and play football without fearing that he wasn't helping our team if he continues to go sackless all season.

Maybe those two can be co-turners of the corner: Carr and Mario.

txhoosier
10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I debate your assessment by only one factor: Mario's sack(s).

I think the roar of the crowd, the celebration of the defense, and the whole mood of the defense after that point was perhaps just as much of a turning point as anything.

Today was a big day because Carr "executed" well when he needed to, and Mario got that monkey off his back so that now he can just settle into the trenches and play football without fearing that he wasn't helping our team if he continues to go sackless all season.

Maybe those two can be co-turners of the corner: Carr and Mario.
LMAO.

Sounds like a plan.

Co-corner-turners...Super Carrio Brothers.

wags
10-01-2006, 04:53 PM
It was a good win, but we haven't turned any corners really. Carr is improving which is very nice but we still have some serious issues.

- Defense needs to learn how to tackle
- No depth along the OL and some questionable starters
- Our defensive secondary is burned quite a bit
- No starting RB
- LB crew

Our next game is against Da Boys (which I will be at) and I don't feel too confident about our corners being able to handle Glenn and OD, or our OL stopping the Cowboys pass rush.

Good win today, but I have a feeling we are still in for a long, tough season.

nunusguy
10-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Our next game is against Da Boys (which I will be at) and I don't feel too confident about our corners being able to handle Glenn and OD, or our OL stopping the Cowboys pass rush.

The Cowboys are a very good team this year, and its a real long shot that we could beat them up there, so a moral victory may be the most we can hope for.
One thing though, we might be able to get some pressure on Bledsoe since he is so immobile and their OL may be their Achilles heel.

GP
10-01-2006, 05:06 PM
The Cowboys are a very good team this year, and its a real long shot that we could beat them up there, so a moral victory may be the most we can hope for.
One thing though, we might be able to get some pressure on Bledsoe since he is so immobile and their OL may be their Achilles heel.

That's the ONLY way. Period.

Gosh, is Tennessee THAT bad that they cannot pressure Bledsoe?