PDA

View Full Version : VY starting Sunday vs. the Cowboys

nunusguy
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
"NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Rookie quarterback Vince Young will make his first NFL start for the Tennessee Titans on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys"
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2608713
I figured it would be maybe years before Vince gets his first start in the NFL.
Shows what I know, which is basically squat.
Good LUCK Vince in your first start in the bigtime.

Honoring Earl 34
09-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I hope Vince does well but I think the Titans are crazy to start him against Dallas . I guess the Titans need to fill the bleachers .

OzzO
09-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I was geting ready to post the same thing. Guess Bud is giddy to start him early and not have VY watch the vet from the sideline. (I think they did it better when Steve McNair came into the league.) We'll see if he enjoys starting a rook QB behind a "not so decent" o-line.

The Dream
09-30-2006, 07:44 PM
YES!!! :bananasplit:

Good luck to Vince.

TNTitan
09-30-2006, 08:05 PM
I hope Vince does well but I think the Titans are crazy to start him against Dallas . I guess the Titans need to fill the bleachers .

dont get us confused. our season ticket holders come to our games :cowboy1:

Honoring Earl 34
09-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Probably nothin better to do .

Tulip
09-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Media outlets have been sitting on this story for days. They all posted the report at exactly 5:00 CDT today.

I anticipated this because Fisher was acting pretty fishy all week after announcing Collins as the starter on Monday.

The Titans aren't going to win anything with Collins, so they might as well begin their future now. It's the right move. The Titans players and fans must be so pumped this weekend.

As a Texans fan, I really don't like that he's going to get to start a few games before the Titans play the Texans. Especially if our defense doesn't improve by then.

Tulip
09-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Guess Bud is giddy to start him early and not have VY watch the vet from the sideline. (I think they did it better when Steve McNair came into the league.)

The Titans were never going to need to sit VY as long as they sat McNair. He didn't play for Alcorn State or the like.

edo783
09-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Bud badly wonts to use VY to defeat the Texans when they meet. He needs him to have game experience before doing that. This is nothing but a training regimat to get VY ready for the meeting in Houston. Looks like he has written off the season and only really wants one win.

Tulip
09-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Bud badly wonts to use VY to defeat the Texans when they meet. He needs him to have game experience before doing that. This is nothing but a training regimat to get VY ready for the meeting in Houston. Looks like he has written off the season and only really wants one win.

It definitely makes sense. They aren't going to beat the Cowboys or the Colts, so why not get the rookie more comfortable by the time the Texans game rolls around.

This is exactly why I was dreading Vince coming out early. I just knew Bud would jump at the chance to use him to taunt us and to keep Titans fandom alive in Houston.

TexansLucky13
09-30-2006, 09:09 PM
To qoute Mr. T: " My Prediction? .... PAIN! "

Agreed. After this game he will be known as VINTs Young. :tease:

texasguy346
09-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I was under the impression that the Titans had a few injured OLinemen out for this game. Doesn't make sense to me to start a rookie QB behind a line with a few of the regular starters out for his first start, but then again maybe they figure his mobility will serve them better than Collins lack of it. I wish him luck.

gtexan02
09-30-2006, 09:30 PM
The Titans did as much as possible since the Miami loss to prep Young for his debut. Offensive coordinator Norm Chow said Young has made tremendous strides because he is very determined to be a great player.

"He studies, he works and he's disciplined. He has great leadership skills. He's determined, and because of that, the work ethic comes along with it. If you're willing to work at it like he is, you continue to get better," Chow said.

Sounds nice, huh?

blockhead83
09-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Good luck to Vince, I think he's going to be a good player. Should be interesting to see the effects he has relative to Collins on the Titans offense.

gtexan02
09-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I can tell you this much: the players believe in him.

Both Keith Bulluck and Bennett have called him to start. he will bring at least some morale to the team

gtexan02
09-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Please don't flame me for this, I'm really just curiouis and hoping to incite a discussion.

What has been the effect of having Williams on the team thus far? Have players spoken for him or about him? I know TJ defended his poor play last week, but other than that what have we heard? (I really don't know, I don't mean this in a pointed way).

I know that in Bush's case, the NO team was really excited to get him. Breese, McCallister, and Horn all came out publically talkling about how excited they were. Horn even has a nickname for him. This excitement spread, and the team seems to be playing a little more inspired. Even though he hasn't done anything remarkable on the field, is his presence at least a temporary catalyst?

In VYs case, I think his presence is a definite bonus. Bullucks came out and said he wanted Vy to start this weekend. Bennett has said he thinks VY is going to be a superstar and can't wait for him to lead the team. I feel like his leadership and confidence is spreading, and despite how he performs, should give at least a temporary boost to the team.

I think its a tough comparison because offensive players get all the glory and are usually the team leaders (except ray lewis). That being said, does anyone have any evidence to show that the team was excited with Williams or at least energized defensively? We haven't really played like it, but maybe its still on its way. I bet once he gets his first sack, the rest of the team will be relieved and play better.

Hulk75
09-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Defensive Leaders
RNK NAME YDS YPG RUSH RUSH YPG PASS PASS YPG PTS PTS/G
1 San Diego 347 173.5 142 71.0 205 102.5 7 3.5
2 Baltimore 592 197.3 103 34.3 489 163.0 20 6.7
3 Jacksonville 748 249.3 177 59.0 571 190.3 38 12.7
4 Chicago 798 266.0 246 82.0 552 184.0 23 7.7
5 New Orleans 800 266.7 265 88.3 535 178.3 44 14.7
6 Dallas 552 276.0 171 85.5 381 190.5 34 17.0

Good Luck Bud Adams.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-30-2006, 11:44 PM
The Big D in Dallas are going to make mince meat out of Vince.. Fresh off a bye-week, PO'ed about the media's shelling of disrespect for their fellow teammate.. he's going to look like a deer in headlights.

Shame in not starting Collins for the Titans. The guy is krytonite for the Cowboys-- see Raider game of last season.

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-30-2006, 11:45 PM
The Vince Young era has officially begun. About time....

I am pleased with you guys' reactions. Most of you seem to support Vince, which is good. I mean come on, how great would it be to see UT's savior beat the Cowgirls in his first NFL start???!

MrMeToo
09-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I can't wait to see what Vince can do.Hope he does well.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-30-2006, 11:54 PM
The Vince Young era has officially begun. About time....

I am pleased with you guys' reactions. Most of you seem to support Vince, which is good. I mean come on, how great would it be to see UT's savior beat the Cowgirls in his first NFL start???!

How great would it be to see a fan use something more original than "cowgirls", and how better it would be if we rip your team into pieces tommorrow! :D

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-30-2006, 11:56 PM
How great would it be to see a fan use something more original than "cowgirls", and how better it would be if we rip your team into pieces tommorrow! :D

Well, I grew up a Dallas fan (I lived in Dallas in the early 90s, good time to live there, huh?) so don't get too down on me.

But I am a die hard Titans fan now. Don't overlook the Titans, Kerry Collins was bringing us down. We will atleast cover the spread.

Texans_Chick
10-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Please don't flame me for this, I'm really just curiouis and hoping to incite a discussion.

What has been the effect of having Williams on the team thus far? Have players spoken for him or about him? I know TJ defended his poor play last week, but other than that what have we heard? (I really don't know, I don't mean this in a pointed way).

I know that in Bush's case, the NO team was really excited to get him. Breese, McCallister, and Horn all came out publically talkling about how excited they were. Horn even has a nickname for him. This excitement spread, and the team seems to be playing a little more inspired. Even though he hasn't done anything remarkable on the field, is his presence at least a temporary catalyst?

In VYs case, I think his presence is a definite bonus. Bullucks came out and said he wanted Vy to start this weekend. Bennett has said he thinks VY is going to be a superstar and can't wait for him to lead the team. I feel like his leadership and confidence is spreading, and despite how he performs, should give at least a temporary boost to the team.

I think its a tough comparison because offensive players get all the glory and are usually the team leaders (except ray lewis). That being said, does anyone have any evidence to show that the team was excited with Williams or at least energized defensively? We haven't really played like it, but maybe its still on its way. I bet once he gets his first sack, the rest of the team will be relieved and play better.

Check out the Weaver insider blog this week.

Lots of positive stuff was said during camp, but I can't imagine stuff being said otherwise.

Talked to a player at the Draft Party, and he was happy the Texans didn't take Bush and wanted a defensive player. Seemed sincere about it.

I have a sense the Texans do not want to be about individual players but want to create more team.

As to the topic of the post, I sure hope Bud Adams doesn't ruin VY. Never wanted him as a Titan because I dislike them, but also because I feared meddling Bud would ruin him.

McClain blog link about starting VY prolly being Bud's doin. (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/09/titans_decision_has_buds_finge.html)

Tulip
10-01-2006, 12:20 AM

Sometimes I think the Texans' ultimate goal is to amass the 53 bestest choirboys in the NFL. I don't know if a good leader can emerge from the Texans' current culture, but Mario Williams has stated in recent interviews that he does feel the responsibility to lead the defense. I'm hopeful.

tulexan
10-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I'm annoyed that I dropped the Dallas defense on my fantasy team this morning.

StarStruck
10-01-2006, 12:44 AM
I don't take any game for granted. On any given Sunday (or game day) strange things can happen to good teams. Remember when the Texans beat Pittsburgh in season 1. Yep, they also beat the Cowboys, who at that time was worse than a few colleges, but Pittsburgh, with virtuallly no stats.

Txn_in_FL
10-01-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm annoyed that I dropped the Dallas defense on my fantasy team this morning.

I've got Dallas' D this week since the Steelers have a bye. I think this is a bad idea on the Titans part. Maybe should have had a bit more patience and started him somewhere else. I hate Dallas but I'm willing to admit they look pretty good, not a team I want to start my rookie against. I hope Bud doesn't **** this kid up.

hollywood_texan
10-01-2006, 12:57 AM

This is great question about Mario in contrast to Bush and Young.

But is there any Texan that is an outright leader on this team?

I don't think so.

The more I think about it, this team really, just like last years, has not soul.

axman40
10-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, I grew up a Dallas fan (I lived in Dallas in the early 90s, good time to live there, huh?) so don't get too down on me.

But I am a die hard Titans fan now. Don't overlook the Titans, Kerry Collins was bringing us down. We will atleast cover the spread.

Hope springs eternal!

:redtowel:

Kaiser Toro
10-01-2006, 10:23 AM
I am looking forward to Vince playing in the NFL. I am also looking forward to Dallas Defense shutting out the Titans for my fantasy team today.

It's just a fantasy. Whoa-o-oh. It's not the real thing. Whoa-o-oh.

TD
10-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I am looking forward to Vince playing in the NFL. I am also looking forward to Dallas Defense shutting out the Titans for my fantasy team today.

It's just a fantasy. Whoa-o-oh. It's not the real thing. Who-o-ah.

Sometimes a fantasy is all you need.:)

If Fisher keeps it simple, I think Vince will do OK.

HomeBred_Texan
10-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Probably nothin better to do .

Heard the golf courses are closed in Tennessee on Sundays... :stirpot:

nunusguy
10-01-2006, 11:01 AM
The Arlington vs. Tennessee game is not being telecast locally according to the info I have. This is very surprising to me, given there are quite a few
Cowboy fans here in Houston, and probably more who would want to see
VY, especially in his NFL debut as a starter.
This is of course a Fox game, and they are showing Detroit @ St. Louis in the second game on Fox, that's it ? The Cowboys vs. Titans is a noon start.

TNTitan
10-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Heard the golf courses are closed in Tennessee on Sundays... :stirpot:

lol not quite

kastofsna
10-01-2006, 11:23 AM
he's going to have a rough day against dallas' defense. good lord.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Well I'm leaving for the game now, I will be back this afternoon to discuss. Go Vince.

Khari
10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
go Dallas!.........cuz I picked them!

TD
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict he completes < 50% of his passes but scores 2 TDs (one run, one pass) and 2 INT in a losing effort.

nunusguy
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Apparently Fox is now on the Reggie Bush bandwagon, as it appears they are
in Charlotte today for NOLA @ Carolina as their featured game.
They just said Bush was leading the Saints in receptions, but didn't mention
he was not the leader in pass reciving yards. As a matter of fact, according to current stats I've seen he's not even amoung the top 30 in that department. And he is exactly # 30 amoung rushers. Deuce McCalister is their running game, of course.
At some point in time he will actually make a meaningful play, and then its gonna be like last year in USCs game against Fresno. All you're gonna see is
that one play over and over again. At some point, this is gonna wear thin on
the rest of the more deserving of attention Saint players.

BEERnBBQ
10-01-2006, 12:48 PM
hope vince has a good game, but i think this is not a good game to start him in. i'll be flipping channels to see how he's doing

Fiddy
10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
The VY game is on FOX and the Texans on CBS...BRILLIANT!!!

If we get blown out today I have something to turn to.

And lets not forget the Astros play at noon, too....this is gonna be tough.

nunusguy
10-01-2006, 12:53 PM
The VY game is on FOX and the Texans on CBS...BRILLIANT!!!
If we get blown out today I have something to turn to.
And lets not forget the Astros play at noon, too....this is gonna be tough.

I don't think we get this game in Houston.

The Dream
10-01-2006, 02:05 PM
no we don't

VY's numbers so far
8/12 for 81yrds

Dal - 14 Titans - 6 at the half

bigcarlos
10-01-2006, 02:27 PM
The Titans game isnt on in Houston?

The Dream
10-01-2006, 02:29 PM
no, probably because the texans are playing at 12 also......if they showed Vince and The Boys that would surely take away from the Texans ratings.

bigcarlos
10-01-2006, 02:35 PM
no, probably because the texans are playing at 12 also......if they showed Vince and The Boys that would surely take away from the Texans ratings.
Titans even would beat the Texans in ratings in Houston:hides:

The Dream
10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Vince just threw an INT.

bigcarlos
10-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Vince just threw an INT.
Im watching the game here in SA. One channel VY throws an INT, then I flip over and Carr just gives the ball to Taylor:hunter:

texasguy346
10-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Don't you mean Salaam gives the ball to Tayolr, or is Carr supposed to block the DE's as well as throw the ball?

Actually I believe Bedell was in on that play when Salaam came out with an injury. In all honesty I expect Taylor to hand Salaam his lunch all day, but to his credit he played fairly well against a Pro Bowl caliber DE.

thunderkyss
10-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Apparently Fox is now on the Reggie Bush bandwagon, as it appears they are
in Charlotte today for NOLA @ Carolina as their featured game.
They just said Bush was leading the Saints in receptions, but didn't mention
he was not the leader in pass reciving yards. As a matter of fact, according to current stats I've seen he's not even amoung the top 30 in that department. And he is exactly # 30 amoung rushers. Deuce McCalister is their running game, of course.
At some point in time he will actually make a meaningful play, and then its gonna be like last year in USCs game against Fresno. All you're gonna see is
that one play over and over again. At some point, this is gonna wear thin on
the rest of the more deserving of attention Saint players.

They are trying to get Reggie to the ProBowl as a Rookie.........