PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Scheme...

redbul41
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I know we run a 4-3 defense with Richard Smith, but do we have a specific sceme, such as the cover 2, or dont we?

K.D.
09-28-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't think we have an ideal right about now, but it's got to get better than this.

thunderkyss
09-28-2006, 09:19 PM
We don't even have a starting defensive line yet....... Every week it's different.

sleepwalker
09-29-2006, 01:23 AM
I just read that the Texans Defense has blitzed 46 times in 2 games and we only sacked the qb 3 times...We need Buchanon and Faggins back so we can take a few more risks with pressure.

The 4-3 is just our base defense...They also run a nickel and dime package in certain situations...They drop 2 safties *cover2* or drop 3 *cover3*...They even man up and leave 1 safty in the center...There are many alignments for each package.

Rick Smith has blitzing schemes for all of these packages, we saw them in the pre-season...The problem is when we do finally bring 5 or 6 guys, they get owned by 5 offensive linemen then we give up big plays in our secondary.

Buchanon should be ready for Dallas, hopefully.

HOU-TEX
09-29-2006, 01:59 PM
I just read that the Texans Defense has blitzed 46 times in 2 games and we only sacked the qb 3 times...We need Buchanon and Faggins back so we can take a few more risks with pressure.

The 4-3 is just our base defense...They also run a nickel and dime package in certain situations...They drop 2 safties *cover2* or drop 3 *cover3*...They even man up and leave 1 safty in the center...There are many alignments for each package.

Rick Smith has blitzing schemes for all of these packages, we saw them in the pre-season...The problem is when we do finally bring 5 or 6 guys, they get owned by 5 offensive linemen then we give up big plays in our secondary.

Buchanon should be ready for Dallas, hopefully.

He's been ready. He played against the Skins returning punts. I guess Kubiak just thinks he's not good enough as a CB. Who knows?

TexanFanInCC
09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
we run alot of prevent plays and not alot of blitzing. i think our scheme is "go out there, see the ball, run in the direction of the ball, but dont pay attention to recievers or blockers running near or by you."

thetexanator
09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
defensive scheme........whats that?

signed,
07 texans

DBCooper
09-29-2006, 02:45 PM
We don't even have a starting defensive line yet....... Every week it's different.

....and it changes every snap.

DBCooper
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I know we run a 4-3 defense with Richard Smith, but do we have a specific sceme, such as the cover 2, or dont we?

They call it the Vanilla Spongecake 2.

dantem
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
They call it the Vanilla Spongecake 2.

LOL!

Sportsfan
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
defensive scheme........whats that?

signed,
07 texans

This isn't the Jim Rome show. lol

dantem
09-29-2006, 03:35 PM

Against the Colts
It looked like Cover 2 most of the time, but with an ineffective pass rush. I don't understand why we tried to play that way against the Colts; it is a recipe for disaster, especially with our safeties. two guys trying to cover middle and deep the whole width of the field against Manning and his flock of targets, plus an O Line that is tough to blitz against.

I was not at that game so the TV makes it hard to tell for sure.

Against Washington.

It looked like mostly Cover 2 but with no pass rush, almost like a cover 2 that becomes man to man because the offense didn't pass downfield. It was mostly "Blown Cover" Our corners would try to flatten the WR routes at the line but the WR became blockers for the shovel pass or screen, leaving two safeties to come up and stop what was basically a run play (for 30 yards) Williams did a good job sprinting across the field to make the stop the first time they did it but they began double teaming him and drawing him to the outside and he got boxed out a lot.

I was in a good position in the stands to see the plays develop.

We had a lot of plays that looked strange last week, almost like half of the players were in the wrong formation. There were many 3rd down and short plays where our defenders were playing 10 yards off of the WR's, behind the first down marker (I do not understand that strategy, especially when Washington was not passing much). Add that to the front four rotating out almost every play and barley getting into their stance before the ball was snapped and. Well... it was ugly.

I am sure we will do better this week (there is hardly any room to play worse).