PDA

View Full Version : A Realistic View

FanFromCali
09-28-2006, 09:35 AM
I have to admit it is nice to be somewhere with die-hard fans whether they are all realistic or not Needless to say not very many people here in California even have the Texans on their radar except for the game against the Raiders (for which I will be there and also guarantee a Texan win). But I also think we need to be a little more realistic in our expectations of the team. Being a fan means realizing that we need to be in this for the long haulÖ

1. This team finished 2-14 last year. One pick and a new head coach was not going to put the team in the playoffs. Four to five wins may seem like a failure on paper, but that would be double to more than double of what the team had before.

2. There have been upgrades that are moving the team in the right direction. Improvements to the offensive line have already cut the sack total in half and a focus on improving the defense is going to equal a lot of wins in the future.

3. Injuries to Spencer and Mathis did not do us any favors, but they will be back.

4. There is a always a transition from one coach to the next. The new coach has to get the right players to run his scheme. Donít judge him too harshly this season.

5. The team is not that far away when it comes to the offensive line. One good draft pick, perhaps a free agent or two, and the continued development in the young guys and maybe, just maybe the line could be considered pretty good sooner or later.

6. The team is not that far away on offense. Defense needs to be the focus in the next couple of years.

7. Mario Williams, talent and all, is still a rookie. If he is creating double teams then he is doing a great job at this stage of his development. Having said that...

8. Not drafting Reggie Bush was the right way to go. He has never been an every-down back, even dating back to his high school days. Exciting? Yes, but we need every down results. I would rather have Adrian Peterson who will be able to carry a full load. The goal here should be winning games, not selling jerseys. Besides, apparently Bush wanted an obscene amount of money to be a part-time pack. This team has too many holes to invest that kind of money (especially in a hard salary cap) in just one player.

The team will win, lets give it time to come together. In the meantime, letís enjoy the development of the players and keep rooting for the upsets.

WiiBrawler
09-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Good to see some more knowlegable fans on this board, good post:-)

caspian
09-28-2006, 11:15 AM
8. Not drafting Reggie Bush was the right way to go. He has never been an every-down back, even dating back to his high school days. Exciting? Yes, but we need every down results. I would rather have Adrian Peterson who will be able to carry a full load. The goal here should be winning games, not selling jerseys. Besides, apparently Bush wanted an obscene amount of money to be a part-time pack. This team has too many holes to invest that kind of money (especially in a hard salary cap) in just one player.

I can appreciate your opinion on not drafting Reggie Bush, but your claim that he's never been an every-down back is absurd. How can you be from CA watching him play and say that? He has all the physical tools in spades without question.

Reggie Bush is a tough mf-ing bad-ass. He'll go through the middle; he'll hit someone. He's getting more production as a decoy than any of our backs get directly.

I want Mario to be the right pick also, but the homer bias here is annoying. And, for now, it ain't looking good. And I'm talking about just simply watching Mario's physical assets disregarding stats; they're not that impressive.

real
09-28-2006, 11:18 AM
I can appreciate your opinion on not drafting Reggie Bush, but your claim that he's never been an every-down back is absurd. How can you be from CA watching him play and say that? He has all the physical tools in spades without question.

Reggie Bush is a tough mf-ing bad-ass. He'll go through the middle; he'll hit someone. He's getting more production as a decoy than any of our backs get directly.

I want Mario to be the right pick also, but the homer bias here is annoying. And, for now, it ain't looking good. And I'm talking about just simply watching Mario's physical assets disregarding stats; they're not that impressive.

Not only that...but he can play WR,PR, and KR also....and on top of that Mario hasn't been an every down DE at this point either....FWIW....but if Mario becomes what he's supposed to then we made the right pick, regardless of what Bush does...that honestly doesn't matter.....

Mr. White
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Here we go again....:blah:

El Tejano
09-28-2006, 11:23 AM

Reggie, even as a decoy here, is not what this team needs and if he was an every down back he certainly would need to be on the field to do so. Our defense has a tendency to let 3rd and 17s become first downs on run plays.

Texans_Chick
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Not only that...but he can play WR,PR, and KR also....and on top of that Mario hasn't been an every down DE at this point either....FWIW....but if Mario becomes what he's supposed to then we made the right pick, regardless of what Bush does...that honestly doesn't matter.....

Can Bush play defense? Because that is the part of the team that is catastrophically the worst right now. The Texans can't prevent 3rd down conversions, they can't stop the run, they can't stop the pass, they are allowing over 100 yards on average more than the worst Texans teams in the past and the worst teams in the NFL.

Bad defenses are lacking players. Catastrophically awful defenses are lacking players and coaching.

With the failures of the Texans defense, people want to put it on the visible face of the team, the number 1 pick. But it ain't just one player. It's the whole defense, how they are working together (or not), and what schemes they are running when, and how they are doing substitutions, etc.

And please look at the list of the current top Dlinemen in the league and see how long they have been in it. And look at their rookie stats. Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/DL-TACKLES/2006/regular) Stats aren't everything, and clearly Williams has to play better, but let's just say I would feel a lot better if a more experienced defensive coordinator with a long track record of success was running this defense, but it ain't happening this year.

The Dolphins have a defense. The Texans do not until they show it. Not just Williams, the whole thing.

infantrycak
09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
He's getting more production as a decoy than any of our backs get directly.

So do you play football?

Yeah.

What position?

Decoy.

Does that pay well?

Well yeah actually way better than RB.

So do you have to dress up in a costume?

Well I guess--they put me in a football uniform.

Texans Horror
09-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I have to admit it is nice to be somewhere with die-hard fans whether they are all realistic or not Needless to say not very many people here in California even have the Texans on their radar except for the game against the Raiders (for which I will be there and also guarantee a Texan win). But I also think we need to be a little more realistic in our expectations of the team. Being a fan means realizing that we need to be in this for the long haulÖ

1. This team finished 2-14 last year. One pick and a new head coach was not going to put the team in the playoffs. Four to five wins may seem like a failure on paper, but that would be double to more than double of what the team had before.

2. There have been upgrades that are moving the team in the right direction. Improvements to the offensive line have already cut the sack total in half and a focus on improving the defense is going to equal a lot of wins in the future.

3. Injuries to Spencer and Mathis did not do us any favors, but they will be back.

4. There is a always a transition from one coach to the next. The new coach has to get the right players to run his scheme. Donít judge him too harshly this season.

5. The team is not that far away when it comes to the offensive line. One good draft pick, perhaps a free agent or two, and the continued development in the young guys and maybe, just maybe the line could be considered pretty good sooner or later.

6. The team is not that far away on offense. Defense needs to be the focus in the next couple of years.

7. Mario Williams, talent and all, is still a rookie. If he is creating double teams then he is doing a great job at this stage of his development. Having said that...

The team will win, lets give it time to come together. In the meantime, letís enjoy the development of the players and keep rooting for the upsets.

I am going to be very conservative with what I say here, but the line is not as near to perfection as many think. Carr is improving, and his ability is making the line look good, but that does not equate to a well-oiled offensive line machine. When the Texans have a good running game, sustained drives, no sacks, no penalties, and the receivers have an excellent day, then I will concede that there has been a big improvement and they are moving in the right direction. As long as the Texans can't run and keep getting penalties and sacks, or short drives (time-wise), then I am going to believe they have a long way to go.

Texans_Chick
09-28-2006, 11:34 AM
So do you play football?

Yeah.

What position?

Decoy.

Does that pay well?

Quack! Quack! Quack!

HOU-TEX
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Quack! Quack! Quack!

Aggie duck call: "HERE DUCK!, HERE DUCK! lol! Just kidding, I think.:redtowel:

real
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Can Bush play defense? Because that is the part of the team that is catastrophically the worst right now. The Texans can't prevent 3rd down conversions, they can't stop the run, they can't stop the pass, they are allowing over 100 yards on average more than the worst Texans teams in the past and the worst teams in the NFL.

Bad defenses are lacking players. Catastrophically awful defenses are lacking players and coaching.

With the failures of the Texans defense, people want to put it on the visible face of the team, the number 1 pick. But it ain't just one player. It's the whole defense, how they are working together (or not), and what schemes they are running when, and how they are doing substitutions, etc.

And please look at the list of the current top Dlinemen in the league and see how long they have been in it. And look at their rookie stats. Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/DL-TACKLES/2006/regular) Stats aren't everything, and clearly Williams has to play better, but let's just say I would feel a lot better if a more experienced defensive coordinator with a long track record of success was running this defense, but it ain't happening this year.

The Dolphins have a defense. The Texans do not until they show it. Not just Williams, the whole thing.

Thats true...It's not just on Williams....Just like in the past our offense wasn't just on Carr...but he is the face so he will get the criticism...thats just how it is...

And i never said we should have picked Bush...I never said we shouldn't have picked Bush....I said if Mario turns into what he is supposed to be then we made the right choice....regardless of what Bush does...That means that i recognize our defense sucks worse than our offense....and Bush wouldn't have helped us out there.....thats why I said "regardless of what Bush does"....meaning he could get 1,500 rushing yards and be R.O.Y, and that still wouldn't have helped our defense....I know this...i understand this...i've said it over and over...but here lies the problem...Mario first has to become what he is supposed to be...and I haven't given up on him...never even said he wouldn't be a beast...

I said I don't know...and currentl I haven't been given any positive signs that he will other than the old "look how big and strong he is" argument...athletic freak....yeah...yeah...at this point it's on our coaching staff to get this guy playing right...and it's on him to absorb and learn...How long will it take to happen...I don't know...Will it ever happen?? I sure hope so....

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM

RIIIIIGHT, thats why USC used him as their every down back in the national championship game. If I was the saints I would put him on the field every play but not because he's a god, because the fans love him and buy tickets and beer. someday Bush will be another brian westbrook, is that worth 50 million?

Runner
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
We need a decoy poster here. One that says crazy stuff so I'm free to look smarter because no one is paying attention.

real
09-28-2006, 11:40 AM
So do you play football?

Yeah.

What position?

Decoy.

Does that pay well?

LOL...you have to be respected to be a good decoy....:cowboy1:

real
09-28-2006, 11:41 AM
RIIIIIGHT, thats why USC used him as their every down back in the national championship game. If I was the saints I would put him on the field every play but not because he's a god, because the fans love him and buy tickets and beer. someday Bush will be another brian westbrook, is that worth 50 million?

You know Mario doesn't play ever series either....

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
well if you need mario to help make bush look better, I guess I win, thanks

real
09-28-2006, 11:48 AM
well if you need mario to help make bush look better, I guess I win, thanks

No...it's just that the old "he's not an everydown back" argument IMO, is played out....A lot of teams use two backs...and Mario hasn't been an everydown player either...nothing about the players just the case being made...

infantrycak
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
and Mario hasn't been an everydown player either...

OK--let's not go too far. Mario has played every down but for normal line rotation just like you see Weaver, Payne, and TJ come out of the game. We aren't talking about him being used as a situational down guy like Peek coming in only for passing plays. No one on the Texans DL or 99% of DL's plays every down.

[disclaimer--I didn't refer to anyone on another team--don't need a response about them]

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 11:53 AM
every down back is a label, not literal, tell shaun alexander he's not an everydown back why don't you, cuz hey, he gets to rest on the bench several snaps a game too right?

real
09-28-2006, 11:59 AM
OK--let's not go too far. Mario has played every down but for normal line rotation just like you see Weaver, Payne, and TJ come out of the game. We aren't talking about him being used as a situational down guy like Peek coming in only for passing plays. No one on the Texans DL or 99% of DL's plays every down.

[disclaimer--I didn't refer to anyone on another team--don't need a response about them]

Well thats kind of besides the point...in reference to the RB non-pick, the "not an everydown back" argument goes for naught when you consider all factors...

every down back is a label, not literal, tell shaun alexander he's not an everydown back why don't you, cuz hey, he gets to rest on the bench several snaps a game too right?

literal or not...we are talking about factual...and fact is they probably see about the same amount of action..considering PR,KR,RB,and WR....So the argument doesn't exsist...

*And Once again I must put a disclaimer...I am neither approving or dissaproving of the Mario pick....Only time will tell...

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Well thats kind of besides the point...in reference to the RB non-pick, the "not an everydown back" argument goes for naught when you consider all factors...

literal or not...we are talking about factual...and fact is they probably see about the same amount of action..considering PR,KR,RB,and WR....So the argument doesn't exsist...

*And Once again I must put a disclaimer...I am neither approving or dissaproving of the Mario pick....Only time will tell...

okaaay, you keep thinking reggie is as much an everydown back as Alexander is. what do I care lol

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
heck he's up there with tomlinson too, why not

nunusguy
09-28-2006, 12:21 PM

Bush is exciting, explosive in the open field (or in space as they like to say in
the contemporary vernacular), but he is not and I doubt will ever be an inside
runner in the NFL. Actually, and please excuse my sexist remark, but I thought he should have worn a skirt Monday night in NOLA as he ran inside
the 5 and the Falcon D guys were taking him down easily with an arm.
He was a real sweetie !
On the other hand, I'd love to have him here as the wideout opposite AJ. That's Bush's natural position in the NFL, and probable was in college to.
Throw in his ability as a punt returner, and he's a valuable player on any
NFL roster. But he is most assuredly "not" a full-time NFL running back.

kcwilson
09-28-2006, 12:39 PM
ALRIGHT! WHO TURNED THE TIME MACHINE BACK TO APRIL 30, 2006?

Next thing you know, someone is going to claim VY isn't an everydown QB because he hasn't played every snap this year.

Everyone cries about linking Mario to Reggie for their careers, yet the most banter and whining occurs on this board.

Why don't we gripe about C.C. Brown more? He has been more of a liability than Mario. Don't jump on Mario because he took the money the Texans paid him... what is he supposed to do?

Mario: "um, Mr. McNair, yeah about that $56 Million... I just feel that I won't be that productive until I learn the league a little more... can we knock that dollar amount down to oh ... I don't know... whatever the people on the messageboards are comfortable paying so that people will see me as a good value. Any publicity is good publicity."

Bobby: "Shoot, that is awfully nice... but don't you want to be a scapegoat for an entire defense that is underperforming in the future much the way David Carr is? Look how much attention David gets."

real
09-28-2006, 12:44 PM
okaaay, you keep thinking reggie is as much an everydown back as Alexander is. what do I care lol

o.k....Reggie doesn't = Alexander...as far as carrying the load....Alexander doesn't= Walter Payton ....as far as carrying the load...Whats your point???

L33Z71
09-28-2006, 01:52 PM

At this point, I believe most Houston fans would die for a 4 or 5 win season. Even another 2-14 win season is looking bleak this year.

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Reggie Bush is one of the strongest running backs in the NFL. He may be small in height, but not in stature.

HOU-TEX
09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Reggie Bush is one of the strongest running backs in the NFL. He may be small in height, but not in stature.

And how do you know this? Proof?:spy:

TommyS
09-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I would rather have Adrian Peterson who will be able to carry a full load.

i am interested why many people think we will draft Adrian Peterson.

i know this isnt the right thread for it, but still.

when was the last time anyone with any links to the Broncos spent a 1st round pick on an RB?

we'd be much better off spending what will be a high 1st rounder next year on the D again.

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree on the d pick, I think we will probably try to pick up another linebacker or a DB. free safety most likely.

FanFromCali
09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
i am interested why many people think we will draft Adrian Peterson.

i know this isnt the right thread for it, but still.

when was the last time anyone with any links to the Broncos spent a 1st round pick on an RB?

we'd be much better off spending what will be a high 1st rounder next year on the D again.

I agree. But something tells me a RB is in our future. I would love the team to focus on defense but I just have a feeling...

Anyway, I never wanted my post to be about Bush vs. Williams. The truth is I don't know who is going to be better, and it does not matter because we have Williams. But no one can deny that Bush obviously wanted more money than Williams and I don't know too many rookies worth 60-70 million. We need a lot of players, not just one sucking up the entire cap.

However if Bush ends up rushing for 2,000 yards someday then I will blow my head off.

HoustonFan
09-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Man. Reppin' all the way from Cali. Great insight.

Scooter
09-29-2006, 12:25 AM
fanfromcali, welcome to the texans board. as you've just witnessed, there are a couple of topics that when even added harmlessly at the end of a post, can veer the thread off into message board hell. this time you mistakenly picked reggie bush vs mario. for future reference, the name david carr has this same effect, nomatter how it's used. this thread would look entirely different if not for #8.

Cruuuuuuuz
09-29-2006, 12:45 AM

It's not the old days of real football and it absolutely makes my heart hurt deep inside when i hear people describe a team as a "product".... but at this point...
football is a business. Plain and simple.

Whatever Bush wanted would have been well worth the investment in the long run in terms of revenue, sales, being on the national stage in Mon & Sun nite football games..just gettin the TEXANS name out there (alot of the country doesnt even realize we have a team that isnt the oilers). Oh yeah it woulda made alot of the fans happy to draft Bush too! Me included. Just a SMART Business decision....

Nothing againist Mario...he's gonna be good in his own right...But drafting him over Bush was definitely NOT the right way to go....it's irrelevant now...hindsight is 20/20...but let's face it...this aint hindsight...we were just blindsighted.
thas all i gotta say about that.

rafterticket
09-29-2006, 02:30 AM
8. Not drafting Reggie Bush was the right way to go. He has never been an every-down back, even dating back to his high school days. Exciting? Yes, but we need every down results.

All of your points are excellent, but Reggie Bush is not exactly setting the NFL on fire. Rich Lord on 610 is cracking me up with what an exceptional talent that RB is supposed to be. Funny how the grass is always greener.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

Rich Lord makes Jim Rome seem knowledgeable.

pgitta
09-29-2006, 11:21 AM
From a Redskin fan - no gloat - just good luck wishes w/Miami

We had a pretty crappy start this year despite high expectations.

I know how it feels having no wins, and wish you guys luck against Miami.

I really don't think the Texans are going to be as bad as even you guys think!

Keep the faith.

Later

threetoedpete
09-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I am going to be very conservative with what I say here, but the line is not as near to perfection as many think. Carr is improving, and his ability is making the line look good, but that does not equate to a well-oiled offensive line machine. When the Texans have a good running game, sustained drives, no sacks, no penalties, and the receivers have an excellent day, then I will concede that there has been a big improvement and they are moving in the right direction. As long as the Texans can't run and keep getting penalties and sacks, or short drives (time-wise), then I am going to believe they have a long way to go.

Thank you for that. Rep coming. Everyone else on the board is scouting, Wr's and RB's for the day one picks. Ol' Pete is looking at the O-lineman, Lbs and Dbs. Seems like after five years, we'd get her fixed. I'll believe Spencer at OLT again when I see it. He's still a good player, But a broke leg is a broke leg. Got my fingers crossed no doubt. But the steel blue glasses are off.

threetoedpete
09-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Well, all i know is what i saw in the games last week. Grandma, draging people to the endzone is strong. RB getting suffed on an off tackle dive is not. Drink the coolaide buddy if you wish. But 201 is still 201.

So is 'ol pass me another biscuit (Lendale White) on line to see the feild this weekend big guy ? Inquiring minds want to know.

stingray
09-29-2006, 05:10 PM
[QUOTE=Texans_Chick;455306]Can Bush play defense?

Neither does Mario!!!!!!!

Buckle
09-29-2006, 07:51 PM
It is funny all of you who get all over Mario for not having a sack yet and say it was a wasted pick and blah, blah, blah....But then go on and say that we should have gotten Bush and that he is out performing Mario so far. Last time I checked Bush still hasn't hit paydirt, which I would equate to sacks for a d-lineman!

So Cal Texan
09-29-2006, 09:22 PM

From another Texans fan living in California... I totally agree with your assesment. I also agree with Adrian Peterson as a better choice for the Texans, and I love Reggie Bush. He is an exciting player. But not a great fit in Kubiac's system.

dat_boy_yec
09-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Bush or Mario, I can't believe the draft hasn't happened yet the way people are still arguing. Bottom line neither of those two guys have lived up to their billing. I don't care what you say Cadillac came in and had 3 100 yd. games TD's. So as far as Reggie is concerned who cares if he's a decoy, he hasn't produced yet. I'm sure HOF voters aren't going to look at his career and say to themselves, well he should be considered because he was the greatest decoy. Mario hasn't had any reason to be considered great yet. Both guys have shown glimpses of what may come, but get off it. We made the right choice with Mario. Imagine our D without him. Who would have stopped Santanna Moss in the first quarter? Not saying the guy is great, but he's helping on the D and he'll show improvements as the season goes on. So far none of the top picks have lived up to their billing so we should all just chill and wait until about mid-season to see where everyone's at.

dat_boy_yec
09-29-2006, 10:32 PM

Welcome to the forums. Good post, a few thoughts though.

1. It wasn't just one pick and a new head coach. It was a few key free agents, a rookie class and a coaching staff. I can live with the adjustment period. (Of course seeing other teams in the same situation succeed immediately doesn't help matters.) but 4-5 wins would be disappointing.

2. Exactly why 4-5 wins would be dissappointing. We can all see our team improving, we see they can deal with injuries on the offensive side of the ball. I'm thinking the defense will make strides in the right direction and even as bad as they've been we had chances to stay in the game and in the redskins case pull it out. I agree it will equal success in the future. However I think that future begins now. I'm expecting the defense to pay dividens by the end of the season and pull itself out of the bottom where it's placed itself.

3. Yeah, Mathis should be back real soon and Spencer should be back next season. As long as Spencer doesn't gain too much weight while he deals with his rehab I think he'll be our O-lines anchor.

4-6. Agreed.

7. Problem is even if he does create double teams the rest of our defense isn't taking advantage of it and right now he isn't creating double teams. Rookie or not he needs to step up.

8. Already discussed.

GO TEXANS!!! 1-3 by the bye!!

LBC_Justin
09-30-2006, 11:19 AM

I want Mario to be the right pick also, but the homer bias here is annoying. And, for now, it ain't looking good. And I'm talking about just simply watching Mario's physical assets disregarding stats; they're not that impressive.I have been here is Southern California for every snap of Reggie Bush's college career. Catching several games in person and many on TV. I will be the first to tell you he is NOT an everydown back!!!!

I agree with the first poster, he is exciting to watch but he is FAR from an everydown back. He struggles BIG TIME getting the short yards.(Which was very clear if you watched the monday night game.)

I feel one day he will be a force to be reconed with in New Orleans, but as of right now he is a Marketing Machine and an Insiration for the city.(Nothing More.....at least right now.) If the City of Houston had been destroyed in a Hurricane he might have been the right pick but given our situation, unless he can play Defense he wouldn't be the right pick for the Texans.

LBC_Justin
09-30-2006, 11:38 AM
It's not the old days of real football and it absolutely makes my heart hurt deep inside when i hear people describe a team as a "product".... but at this point...
football is a business. Plain and simple.

Whatever Bush wanted would have been well worth the investment in the long run in terms of revenue, sales, being on the national stage in Mon & Sun nite football games..just gettin the TEXANS name out there (alot of the country doesnt even realize we have a team that isnt the oilers). Oh yeah it woulda made alot of the fans happy to draft Bush too! Me included. Just a SMART Business decision....

Nothing againist Mario...he's gonna be good in his own right...But drafting him over Bush was definitely NOT the right way to go....it's irrelevant now...hindsight is 20/20...but let's face it...this aint hindsight...we were just blindsighted.
thas all i gotta say about that.
No offense but that is the attitude that will give you decades of losing. You get the guy that will help your team win. You don't think about selling jerseys and getting on National TV. That all comes with winning. Period.

Winning. <----That is the word you should be thinking about. Given our roster and our scheme, Reggie Bush would not of had the impact for the Texans that he is having even for New Orleans (which as of right now isn't that much).....ps I would kill to have their Defense right now. When you take into account the Salary Cap and how much Bush would have been paid as the #1 pick.....sorry, I wouldn't want Bush on my team. I want to win in the game, not in the "who can sell the most jerseys and get in the most Subway and ESPN commercials."