PDA

View Full Version : Bush Showed a ton

Frills
09-26-2006, 04:25 PM
2 Attempts from inside the 2...Good thing they didn't need a TD.

Goldeagle
09-26-2006, 04:29 PM
He or Mario have not really shown to have been deserving of the #1 pick.

JDizzle
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Deuce was clearly the better option on that series of plays, and I saw Payton calling Deuce back to the sidelines after the first failed attempt. My guess is he was hoping to get Bush his first TD in the spotlight and probably would have taken him out if they didn't have a 17 point lead with the Falcons playing so bad on offense.

dtran04
09-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Deuce definitely would have gotten in. I guess in the end it didn't really matter though. I also noticed Bush was too busy pouting and almost didn't get off the field fast enough for the field goal.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
09-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Reggie Bush did fine.. Anytime you ammass a total of 73 yards while being a backup is impressive by itself. Especially considering it's his third game of action, against a Falcon front-seven triple the talent of any opponent he played his junior season. Do you honestly expect the guy to gain over 100 yards while being paired with another perrenial running back like Deuce McAllister?

I know you guys have heard it over and over from ESPN, but the mistake was huge. Reggie Bush single handedly ignited a city and organization together with enthusiasm. The situation Reggie was thrown into (playing alongside Deuce) couldn't have been more perfect for his development. While on the other hand, you shouldn't expect much from a first year DE in a 4-3, double covered each play.

Wolf
09-26-2006, 07:00 PM
problem is the MW isn't doubled on every play IMO..

he is learning the hard way..

I guess the good thing is that he came out as a junior

TNTitan
09-26-2006, 07:21 PM
plus reggie was getting doubled when he went to wide out. How the Saints got many of their big plays last night

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
2 Attempts from inside the 2...Good thing they didn't need a TD.

And every good running back ALWAYS punches it in from inside the 2. I mean I can't recall a time when Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders didn't get stuffed on the 2 yard line!

:sarcasm:

TexanSam
09-26-2006, 07:26 PM
He's showed a lot more than Mario has thus far though. Early analysis goes like this.

Saints: :francis: :banana:
Texans: :bag: :crying:

TNTitan
09-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Lesson 4: Know when you are staring at a rare football player with leadership. Notice I didn't say rare athlete, because even though Reggie Bush is a great athlete, he is first a rare football player. For a kid born three years after Morten Andersen kicked his first NFL field goal in New Orleans, he has the shoulders to take on the responsibility great players must take on. It wasn't hype when he was described last spring as a once-in-a-decade player.

/Pat Kirwan

threetoedpete
09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
problem is the MW isn't doubled on every play IMO..

he is learning the hard way..

I guess the good thing is that he came out as a junior

Every play ? I see a few TEs getting there licks in on Mario. Sometimes solo. I'm not ready to declare Mario a bust. I am how ever disappointed in his overall lack of improvement in his technique. His hand play is just aweful. He has no punch at all at the snap. Mind goggeling. They have people fighting for the chance to block the guy he's so soft. The pillsbury dough boy has more pop in his game than Mario at this point. He's a big 295 pound pillow looking for a body to absorb. Just yery disappointing.

And you're paying the king of the swamp How much for those numbers ? lol. Suck-aaaaars. Bush has shown so far that 201 is still 201 in the nfl. He's not good enough yet to clean the toe jam outta of Eric Metcalf's toe nails. Much Less Gayle Sayers.

Wolf
09-26-2006, 08:08 PM
very true

JDizzle
09-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I think some forget that the Saints have 3 pro bowlers on offense. Not saying that Bush has played poorly but he for sure hasn't done anything spectacular, and certainly nothing worth 50 million bucks.

StarStruck
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
I think some forget that the Saints have 3 pro bowlers on offense. Not saying that Bush has played poorly but he for sure hasn't done anything spectacular, and certainly nothing worth 50 million bucks.

What is Mario worth? Inquiring minds want to know.

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-26-2006, 09:06 PM

Yeah, how much has Mario done to deserve his pay?

blockhead83
09-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Bush looks like he will be a good RB. He also has the versatility to play WR, which is a big bonus, plus he's fun to watch. On the other hand, I don't see him as a once in a decade player. I thought Deuce was far more impressive as a runner last night, so I'm really not viewing our passing up Reggie as the colossal mistake the media is portraying it as. As has been proven over and over in the NFL, you don't need a top 5 pick to draft a great runner, so I'm looking for us to find ourselves a good runner next off-season. If Mario turns out to be a bust long-term then I'd obviously have wanted us to have gone in a different direction with that pick, but I'm not stuck on Reggie. I don't see him becoming as influential of a player as many others do.

thunderkyss
09-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Bush looks like he will be a good RB. He also has the versatility to play WR, which is a big bonus, plus he's fun to watch. On the other hand, I don't see him as a once in a decade player. I thought Deuce was far more impressive as a runner last night, so I'm really not viewing our passing up Reggie as the colossal mistake the media is portraying it as. As has been proven over and over in the NFL, you don't need a top 5 pick to draft a great runner, so I'm looking for us to find ourselves a good runner next off-season. If Mario turns out to be a bust long-term then I'd obviously have wanted us to have gone in a different direction with that pick, but I'm not stuck on Reggie. I don't see him becoming as influential of a player as many others do.

Duece was much more impressive as a runningback..... no doubt........ Colston much more impressive as a reciever..... but the defense was keying on Reggie?? Yeah right.

They didn't even consider JoeHorn out there.

JDizzle
09-26-2006, 10:01 PM

Are you blind? Nobody here has said Mario is playing like the #1 pick. Sometimes I wonder if you guys even read posts or if you're just here to spew anti-playerX garbage in every thread you stumble in to.

Goldeagle
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Id rather of had D Brick, but with all the hype Bush has been a bust. I expected much more and considering we've lost by like 3 TDs a game and he cant get in the end zone, he would not have helped much here.

thunderkyss
09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Id rather of had D Brick, but with all the hype Bush has been a bust. I expected much more and considering we've lost by like 3 TDs a game and he cant get in the end zone, he would not have helped much here.

from the two yard line wasn't it? He can't get into the endzone from the 2 yard line.

Mr. B
09-26-2006, 10:27 PM
New Orleans didn't need Reggie Bush to ignite them. The city was just primed for some football back on home turf. Regardless of 40 years of losing New Orleans and its fans love the Saints.

Texans and Fans have a long way to go and a lot to learn about being diehard fans.

They sold out every game this season and good for them but man I just can't stand that it comes at the hands of Tom Benson. If it was left up to him there would be no Saints in New Orleans.

New Orleans has seen bunches of Reggie Bushes in there years and many were better than he will ever be but the teams were so poor not really much they could do.

Bush is a good back but he isn't all they make him out to be.

Who Dat !!

StarStruck
09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Are you blind? Nobody here has said Mario is playing like the #1 pick. Sometimes I wonder if you guys even read posts or if you're just here to spew anti-playerX garbage in every thread you stumble in to.

Since I am not easily intimidated, again, I ask what Mario Williams is worth? A player's value has come into question, so since we are on the topic it would be interesting to see the preceived value of an individual who has the most to contribute to the Texans team.

mexican_texan
09-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Marques Colston and DeMeco Ryans. Don't they get some love?

mexican_texan
09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Since I am not easily intimidated, again, I ask what Mario Williams is worth? A player's value has come into question, so since we are on the topic it would be interesting to see the preceived value of an individual who has the most to contribute to the Texans team.
He's shown that he's a rookie playing in a horrible team. Same thing Bush woulda done.

Dr. Toro
09-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Bush has been less impressive than his fellow rookies Maurice Drew and DeAngelo Williams who are true backups. Bush has shown to be less effective than Colston who was almost Mr. Irrelevant. Everybody cites this all-purpose yards nonsense, but it's really misleading. Kickoff returns are pretty much 20 free yards every time and catches out of the backfield can be easy yards too. Bush impresses me lining up as a receiver, but as a running back he impresses me very little. He doesn't push the pile at all, and that's what separates the 3.5 YPC guys from the 4.5 YPC guys.

It's only been 3 games but the dude is getting tons of plays drawn up for him and is producing 40 yards per game rushing and 45 yards per game receiving. He's a really nice player. He's got some special skills. Does that make him an extremely productive pro?

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
/Pat KirwanLesson 4: Know when you are staring at a rare football player with leadership. Notice I didn't say rare athlete, because even though Reggie Bush is a great athlete, he is first a rare football player. For a kid born three years after Morten Andersen kicked his first NFL field goal in New Orleans, he has the shoulders to take on the responsibility great players must take on. It wasn't hype when he was described last spring as a once-in-a-decade player.

OOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKK:ok:

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 09:05 PM

At this point I'd say an old french fry & the lint in my pocket.

Reggie Bush: a pack of gum &............... the lint in my pcoket.

nunusguy
09-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Everybody cites this all-purpose yards nonsense, but it's really misleading. Bush impresses me lining up as a receiver, but as a running back he impresses me very little. He doesn't push the pile at all, and that's what separates the 3.5 YPC guys from the 4.5 YPC guys.

I mean it Dr. Toro, that's a great post. OK, I'm biased because you articulated
my impressions of Bush far better than I could have. And I took the liberty to
edit out a couple sentences that most effectively express what Bush is about,
IMO.
Bush is not going to be a big-time NFL running back because he can't run inside the tackles. He just doesn't have the size and strength to get the job
done. To that list of rookie backs you mentioned, I'd add Lawrence Maroney
of the Pats, who would be super in our offense. He's got the power to run
inside the tackles, but also fast enough to carry if off tackle to.
But I also agree with you about Bush as a WR, and he would have been a great #2 with AJ for the long-term here in Houston, as we all know that
Moulds is probably in the league only another year or so.
Actually, Bush reminds me a lot of Mark Clayton, the X OU WR who is now in
his second year with the Ravens who I hoped the Texans would have drafted last year with their #1. Like Clayton, Bush is smallish but even faster and far more dangerous after he catchs the ball.
Even though I definitely don't think Bush was worthy of the #1 pick in this years Draft, so far I gotta say Mario is even less worthy. I dunno, but God I hope Kubiak really saw something in Mario that the rest of us haven't seen
so far ? I'm getting real anxious about his eye for NFL talent.

thunderkyss
09-28-2006, 10:01 AM
To that list of rookie backs you mentioned, I'd add Lawrence Maroney
of the Pats, who would be super in our offense. He's got the power to run
inside the tackles, but also fast enough to carry if off tackle to.

Sounds like Ronnie Dayne......

El Amigo Invisible
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Has there ever been a rookie that the NFL has cared about more than Reggie Bush? ESPN covers him more than his teammates(Drew B and Joe H).The Saints Defense played well as well as their offense line. Payton Manning went to the worst team and he didn't recieve this much publicity. It makes me sick. ESPN is going to be all over Reggies first (2 yard) TD and they will cover it all day .

tulexan
09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Eli got a lot of publicity

real
09-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Eli got a lot of publicity

So did Vick..

El Amigo Invisible
09-28-2006, 12:13 PM
But this much?

real
09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
But this much?

Whats it to ya ??? Why does it matter ?

real
09-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Be realistic with yourself...would you expect it to be any other way right now??? Nobody even knew who Mario was before the draft...I hope you aren't expecting him to get as much coverage as Bush...If he is a bust and ends up sucking then he will stop getting the coverage...instead of complaining just keep praying and hoping for him to fail...

thunderkyss
09-28-2006, 12:34 PM
But this much?

I think Vick did get this much.......

Ricky Williams got quite a bit as well....

Mr teX
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Vick, Peyton, Eli I remember & they were supossed to be the 2nd coming of (insert hall of fame player here) or were going to redefine the position.

afcman
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
What matters?

Saints 3-0

Texans 0-3

real
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
What matters?

Saints 3-0

Texans 0-3

Matters???....hardly....

El Amigo Invisible
09-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Whats it to ya ??? Why does it matter ?

I do not want to see any more specials on Reggie Bush. What about all the other players on his team or in the NFL?

real
09-28-2006, 01:24 PM
I do not want to see any more specials on Reggie Bush. What about all the other players on his team or in the NFL?

Well....the general public wants Reggie...If you were in the buisness of making money...and Reggie is what got the money flowing...wouldn't you market him???? I mean it's just the facts of life....hopefully Mario or other Texans can step up and become elite and we can see some of our own all over ESPN...But until that happens, we just kinda have to deal with it....

HOU-TEX
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM

Personally, you can throw TO in there too. I'm tired of hearing about him. Yeah, I glad he's ok, but dang let the man be.:brickwall

El Amigo Invisible
09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Personally, you can throw TO in there too. I'm tired of hearing about him. Yeah, I glad he's ok, but dang let the man be.:brickwall

I am not talking about the Texans because as far as they are concerned Reggie deserves the coverage. Let the Rookie develop and then cover him . I am sick of hearing about TO and Reggie. Mario doesn't deserve any publicity. There is just too much publicy on a few players(LT or Peyton)is well deserved .

jerek
09-28-2006, 01:45 PM
And the weekly Reggie Bush "sucks/no he doesn't/look at this stats/are you kidding me I just gave birth to his child" thread is alive and kicking.

Where's the nauseated smiley?

Mr. White
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
And the weekly Reggie Bush "sucks/no he doesn't/look at this stats/are you kidding me I just gave birth to his child" thread is alive and kicking.

Where's the nauseated smiley?

:deadhorse

This one's close.

DCSaints_fan
09-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Saints fan here. Before you start throwing the eggs, I'm not here to troll. I just wanted to weigh in with a couple observations.

1) Bush wouldn' t have helped your franchise much. They always say to take the best player available but I'm not sure I agree with that. You can't really win without a defense. The biggest change in the Saints this year has been on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense has gotten better too, but mostly in the lack of turnovers and penalties, and smarter play from our QB. The defense has stopped teams when it counts. Last year we put up points but couldn't stop the other team from making that late come back attempt. This year we stopped Green Bay and Cleveland on the last possession, and totally dominated Altanta.

2) The Saints weren't really going to draft Mario if Bush went #1. That was a big smoke screen by Loomis and co. We already have Charles Grant and Will Smith, who are two great ends. And Ninkovich looks like he is a quality backup (too bad he got hurt) We didn't need Mario. If Bush went #1 I bet we either trade down or take Hawk.

3) Don't delude yourself into thinking that not signing Bush was purely football decision. Well if it was purely about football, why did they even bother trying to sign Bush in the first place? If you say that it looks like there were trying to bait teams to trade for #1, then why didn't they wait until just before the the clock struck 12?

mexican_texan
09-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Saints fan here. Before you start throwing the eggs, I'm not here to troll. I just wanted to weigh in with a couple observations.

1) Bush wouldn' t have helped your franchise much. They always say to take the best player available but I'm not sure I agree with that. You can't really win without a defense. The biggest change in the Saints this year has been on the defensive side of the ball. Our offense has gotten better too, but mostly in the lack of turnovers and penalties, and smarter play from our QB. The defense has stopped teams when it counts. Last year we put up points but couldn't stop the other team from making that late come back attempt. This year we stopped Green Bay and Cleveland on the last possession, and totally dominated Altanta.

2) The Saints weren't really going to draft Mario if Bush went #1. That was a big smoke screen by Loomis and co. We already have Charles Grant and Will Smith, who are two great ends. And Ninkovich looks like he is a quality backup (too bad he got hurt) We didn't need Mario. If Bush went #1 I bet we either trade down or take Hawk.

3) Don't delude yourself into thinking that not signing Bush was purely football decision. Well if it was purely about football, why did they even bother trying to sign Bush in the first place? If you say that it looks like there were trying to bait teams to trade for #1, then why didn't they wait until just before the the clock struck 12?
2) We had our DEs before the draft as well, we paid Anthony Weaver something like $13 million to sign here and we had Babin/Peek on the other side.

3) The Texans found out that no one wanted to trade up for Reggie and that Reggie wasn't concentrated on signing.

thunderkyss
09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
...hopefully Mario or other Texans can step up and become elite and we can see some of our own all over ESPN...But until that happens, we just kinda have to deal with it....

You say that as if Reggie is already elite...... & that's what gets in our craw.....

When Houston didn't have a team, I followed Ricky Williams to the BigEasy(as a fan) I've got a bunch of Ricky Williams Jerseys, a JoeHorn, I've even got a KeithPoole, and MarkFields....

I still want them to win the AFC South..... I hate DelHomme.....

BPA depends on team needs.. always has. Matt Lienart "slipped" to #10, because NO, SF, GB, Oakland..... etc...... didn't feel they needed a QB. Not because Michael huff is a better corner than Lienart is a QB.

I just saw a stat, showing the Texans have been in the lower 3rd of defenses since 2002..... & while I have nothing against Reggie Bush, I could never imagine him in Denver......... so I never saw him coming to Houston.

You had Darren Howard when you drafted Will Smith & Charles Grant. I think you had Leroy Glover, JoeJohnson(DT I know) & another pretty good DE when you drafted Darren Howard.

You didn't take a LB in the draft..... as far as I know. You took a DE though(??). you didn't know how bad your LBs were until the preseason, then you got busy........ and did very well. If Colston works out, you guys are going to look like geniuses..... so far, so good.

regardless whether you were going to take Mario or not. Our draft specialist(on this board) told us even as deep as this draft is/was, we do not want to drop lower than 4, the NYJ pick. They just lost Abraham..... who knows what they were going to do.

We do have a history of signing the #1 overall before the draft...... 5 years into our history, I don't know if that's a good thing.

But I already said what I thought about Bush in Texas......

StarStruck
09-28-2006, 08:41 PM
If the Texans would have drafted Bush I bet the fans would be basking in the Bush publicity from every positive source. Incredible!