PDA

View Full Version : Early success?

jdog
09-26-2006, 11:45 AM
What does it mean when we do well early then worse as the game progresses?

It seems like two things to me. Please chime in with your knowledge on these issues.

One, we are not making good adjustments. Is this due to poor coaching, or is it because our players are learning a new system and unable to adjust well right now?

Two, we have no confidence. We score early, but when the other team ties it up we do not have the confidence that we can keep it up. I read a quote from David Carr about this recently. I know this is due to a 2-14 record last year. Our confidence from the preseason was crushed easily in the first game when McNabb tied it up. How do we overcome this problem? It seems like Coach Kubiak's answer is to get rid of the previous team and bring in a new team.

OzzO
09-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I think it's more the 2nd - no confidence in themselves. Even Carr mentioned that Monday morning seeing the fire go out of the guys when the Skins tied them at 7.

Though it also has to do with new coaches and I don't think they've quite figurerd out their players strengths and how to utilize them the best individually and as a complete unit.

It's crazy - to go out and just manhandle on the first series of each side, then just drop off. What the heck is up with that? How amazing would it be if we had that "first series" mentailty throughout the game (or "last few series" in the Colts game - don't want the first series from that one).

Texanfan4ever
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Seems positive to me that if we could do it against the Eagles in the first drive, against the Colts at the end, 2nd string or not, and against the Skins in the beginning, then we CAN do it! We just need to do it for the whole game, but it is possible, and we did DO it against 3 great teams.

I just wish someone could explain how that can happen that way. Do we know any other teams that it has happened to? It makes me crazy! Makes no sense. :wild:

kcwilson
09-26-2006, 02:30 PM
The team is a bunch of players taht really haven't won anything in their lives....

Andre has a national championship, but the rest aren't really a bunch of guys that have gone out and been part of a winning tradition, maybe TJ at FSU, but that is marginal in my mind.

From there, I think this is a group of guys that can execute but once the noose tightens (such as the game getting tied at 7-7 against the Redskins), the offense seemed to panic and press. Everyone was just a bit more nervous that it wasn't going to be an easy win.

The group has to learn to win games and that part is mental coaching. The team needs to build off of the opening drives against Washington and Philly and learn to play with a lead.

Denver surprisingly usually comes out a little more aggressive in the passing game and once they get an opening TD or early TD, then they start to grind the run. It is part of their mental makeup to play with a lead.

Our guys seem to think that it will be a track meet since the defense can't stop anyone and each possession we don't score, we are going to fall further behind. UNDER PRESSURE!

SanAntonioTexanFan
09-26-2006, 02:59 PM
It seems like they have the first set of plays down really well and run them to perfection and then it's like ok now what do we do. The offense is good for about 10 plays and the defense for 3. I would hope they go deeper into the playbook than that when game planning.

Wordem
09-26-2006, 03:54 PM
The team is a bunch of players taht really haven't won anything in their lives....

Which is why either Vince Young or Reggie Bush would have made more business sense than Marietta Williams.

jdog
09-26-2006, 04:49 PM

They are like a virgin on a date. Maybe we can go all the way with Miami. Maybe we should buy them some drinks before the game. :shots: