PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gonna call?

Cjeremy635
09-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Is anyone gonna call in on the Gary Kubiak weekly interview on 610 today? I would, but I have to take my daughter to cheerleading practice. Someone call in and ask about our defense.......PLEASE????? I would like to listen to what he has to say about who is calling the schemes and the reason for not blitzing as well as if he plans on making any changes or going with the :brickwall plan. Is anyone planning on calling and if so what are you planning on asking? Just curious...

Marcus
09-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I was planning on calling. (if you hear them say Marcus from Stafford, that's me)

I was going to try to phrase a statement into a question regarding Mario . . to go something like this:

"Knowing that Mario is a rookie, and accepting the fact that he's raw, and has a lot to learn, are you not still concerned that he hasn't shown any hint of the talent that you'd expect to see from a 1st overall pick?"

Any way I could phrase that better?

Blake
09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I was planning on calling. (if you hear them say Marcus from Stafford, that's me)

I was going to try to phrase a statement into a question regarding Mario . . to go something like this:

"Knowing that Mario is a rookie, and accepting the fact that he's raw, and has a lot to learn, are you not still concerned that he hasn't shown any hint of the talent that you'd expect to see from a 1st overall pick?"

Looks good, but I would change "are you not still concerned that he hasn't shown any hint of the talent that you'd expect to see from a 1st overall pick?"

TO:
"are you concerned that he hasnt shown any hint of the talent that you'd..."

The "are you not still" kinda makes it hard to follow.

Mr. White
09-25-2006, 03:20 PM

It's an actual question...I like it. Usually questions on that show
a. Come in 3 parts.
b. Are opinions with no actual questions.

Cjeremy635
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
The thing is Marcus, be careful with the question you ask or it won't make it past the screening. So to say "are you concerned that you haven't seen any talent "may be harsh and that may enough to not let them air the question to him. JMHO though, I heard it's tough to get the real questions put on the air unless you disguise them.....:spy:

gjmac2
09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Here's a question for you Coach Kubiak....

Um, why does our defensive coordinator SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK?

I will hang up and listen. Thank You.

Scooter
09-25-2006, 03:40 PM
i dont plan on calling, but i'd like to hear kubiak responding to a question about blitzing. something in the form of "the texans have had arguably the worst pass rush since becoming a team. why is it that we tried to remedy this lightly with personnel, but havent done anything as far as scheme to put more pressure on opposing quarterbacks?"

Marcus
09-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Looks good, but I would change "are you not still concerned that he hasn't shown any hint of the talent that you'd expect to see from a 1st overall pick?"

TO:
"are you concerned that he hasnt shown any hint of the talent that you'd..."

The "are you not still" kinda makes it hard to follow.

Thanks for the advice, and good point. I don't know if the screener will allow me to ask it, since more than likely those two clowns hosting the show will cover Mario in a more sanitized fashion. And they will have their guard up considering what happened yeaterday.

I could throw caution to the wind and try to fake out the screener, and then when I get on, I say, "Hey Coach, Welcome to Houston! What did you think of Mario getting manhandled by that tight end and running back?"

I have more tact than that. Don't worry!:)

Double Barrel
09-25-2006, 03:48 PM
We're not going to get any REAL answers. It'll all be coach-speak and 'accepting responsibility' (whatever that means), but it'll be the same old, same old and we'll still get our butts handed to us by a bad Miami team next week.

Good luck for trying, though!

Mycco
09-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Here is a question for the coach

Why are we having the same defensive problems that the last coaching regime had? Is it a reflection on the coaching or the personell? Because even though the names have changed the results are still the same if not worse.

Tulip
09-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I would focus on the game planning/play calling/blitzing and not on Mario. You already know all of their reasons for choosing Mario. So I wouldn't waste your question on something you already know the answer to.

However, I think a legitimate personnel question would be how they deal with a injury-depleted secondary. Perhaps how they dealt with it last week, did it work (try not to laugh), how they will deal with it this week.

Also, another safer question might be - knowing that Brunell was struggling after the first two games, why weren't they able to exploit it? Why did they choose not to blitz?

Marcus
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
We're not going to get any REAL answers. It'll all be coach-speak and 'accepting responsibility' (whatever that means), but it'll be the same old, same old and we'll still get our butts handed to us by a bad Miami team next week.

Good luck for trying, though!

Hey DB, I'm not naive, I know it will be coach-speak, (what coach doesn't speak coach?;) and you know he ain't gonna dog his players on some local talk radio show. But I wouldn't mock the 'accepting reponsibility' bit. At least that's a welome change from Capers 'execute' lines.

If y'all will help me out a little bit, maybe we could come up with something unique that I could ask him, that maybe would get him to shed more info than we already know. It's 4 o clock. I'll need to call in around 50 minutes or so.

Marcus
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Please someone ask Kubiak this exactly.

"Does Defensive Coordinator Richard Smith have the freedom to call Blitzes as often as he wants and whenever he wants to during a game? "

If Kubiak says, "No ", then the follow up should be:

"Why not?"

If Kubiak says, "Yes ", then the follow up should be:

"Why then are we not seeing the more aggressive playcalling we were told we would see before the season started?"

That's a good one.

powerfuldragon
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Someone tell him to stop moving mario around and to let him just balls to the wall bullrush.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 04:07 PM

I donno if I can help but I ran your request through the snoop dog translator and perhaps we can listen for your style...

I was plann'n on call'n. (if you hizzy T-H-to-tha-izzem say Marcus from Stafford, that's me)

I was going ta try ta phrase a statement into a question mackin' Mario . and my money on my mind. ta go sum-m sum-m like this:

"Knowing thiznat Mario is a rookie, n trippin' tha fizzle that he's raw, n has a lot ta learn, is you not stizzay concerned that he hasn't S-H-to-tha-izzown any hiznint of tha mad skillz that you'd expect ta see friznom a 1st overall pick?"

Double Barrel
09-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey DB, I'm not naive, I know it will be coach-speak, (what coach doesn't speak coach?;) and you know he ain't gonna dog his players on some local talk radio show. But I wouldn't mock the 'accepting reponsibility' bit. At least that's a welome change from Capers 'execute' lines.

yeah, I know, Marcus...you know I'm usually even-keeled about these things...but today my disgust is boiling over and I can't think straight.

You have better self-control than me if you can call up a radio show today without cussing. ;)

But what does "accepting responsibility" really mean, anyway? idonno: And is this going to be a Kubiakism the same way "execute" became a Capersism?

Tulip
09-25-2006, 04:14 PM
But what does "accepting responsibility" really mean, anyway? idonno: And is this going to be a Kubiakism the same way "execute" became a Caperism?

That was my thought. I was not exactly comforted by Kubiak's comments. I care a lot less about assigning blame than I do about finally getting some value out of the thousands of dollars I've spent on this team. It's really admirable for him to "accept responsibility" - but that's just words. I need action.

Marcus
09-25-2006, 04:22 PM
I donno if I can help but I ran your request through the snoop dog translator and perhaps we can listen for your style...

Good God Vinny! After 5 years, you finally cracked me up. :highfive: :D

Nbkan
09-25-2006, 04:26 PM

LMAO :ohsnap:

OzzO
09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Here's a question for you Coach Kubiak....

Um, why does our defensive coordinator SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK?

I will hang up and listen. Thank You.

LOL!! Maybe because I watched some of the blue collar comedy tour last night, but I thought of Ron White when you said "SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK".

I'm diggin Mycco's and Tulip's questions above about the similar defensive issues and scheming for pawpaw Brunell

May want to ask the coach how he felt SOME fans booing the team as they went off at halftime - how that may have affected them or was it discussed at all during halftime.

Marcus
09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Tulip, I can certainly understand that but I think what you really want to say is, " I need something to give me hope, to show me that we are headed in the right direction, and that in the near future saying that I'm a Texans fan won't be a cause for embarrassment."

How bout something like this:

After watching what we saw yesterday, can you point out something that shows that we are turning this thing around, or show that there is light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak?

Geez, that sounds lame.

Tulip
09-25-2006, 04:41 PM
At the very least, I would not hang up the phone without asking why they only blitzed once yesterday.

Marcus
09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
How bout more of a factual question then an opinionated one.

What were the total number of defensive plays? Of that number, how many blitzes were called. And were you satisfied with that number?

OzzO
09-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Ah another thing, not sure if noted somewhere else - but Carr noted this morning he was upset with how he saw some of his fellow team mates lose the fire as soon as the Redskins tied up the game 7-7. He said it's understandable for those that aren't playing the game (fans) to go "here we go again" but as a paid professional athelete in the NFL - that's how the game goes, you've got to get back in, get the chin up and continue to fight.

Now, not exact words, but somewhat close. Question for Kubiak would be something along the lines of if he saw the same thing and what's it gonna take to change that attitude of the team as that will be a major factor towards determining a win - can't go into / play the game with the "here we go again" mentality or your doomed right off the bat.... umm, hike.

Tulip
09-25-2006, 04:51 PM
I contemplated calling in myself, but the afternoon guys don't do the "ladies first" thing. I hate being on hold. I'm so lazy.

hollywood_texan
09-25-2006, 04:56 PM
My question to Kubiak would be:

"Did you expect this team to be worse than last year's squad, or was it a surprise?"

Tulip
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Rich just mentioned Carr's 58 fumbles in 63 games again.

JDizzle
09-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Ah, it's confirmed. Richard Smith has no balls.

Mr. White
Marcus just called.

valleytexfan
Marcus Is On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JDizzle
"Mario didn't play very well". Duh.

valleytexfan
09-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Just heard you, bro. Nice question.

Tulip
09-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Good job, Marcus.

Marcus
09-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow! Kubes said they couldn't get pressure even with a 5 man rush.

Man alive!

Vinny
09-25-2006, 05:13 PM
I heard snoop dog marcushizzledizzle :wild: represent

Marcus
09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Good job, Marcus.
Thanks. His answer was depressing though. Give him credit for his honesty.

valleytexfan
09-25-2006, 05:20 PM

WTG Marcus.

JDizzle
09-25-2006, 05:27 PM

What did he say? I was on the phone.

valleytexfan
09-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Somebody just told Kubiak that "He's in denial" and how was he gonna get the fans back?"
Kubes said "I think our fans our great. I'm just as frustrated as they are."
And then as to improving: "Im not gonna sit here and wish for things to get better, I'm going to get to work so they do get better."

Section 620
09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I am afraid that if one more caller ask coach how he is doing he may go POSTAL!! How the ******* you think I'm doing? I'm trying to stay positive.. Go Texans!

valleytexfan
09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I am afraid that if one more caller ask coach how he is doing he may go POSTAL!! How the ******* you think I'm doing? I'm trying to stay positive.. Go Texans!

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know if it was a delay, or if he was just like, "How do you think I'm doing?" before saying, "(Doing) Alright, ______"

hollywood_texan
09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I really think someone should ask him if he thought this team was going to be this bad.

He'll answer in a way that manages the press, but I would like to hear his response and read between the lines.

If he really thought all of this had a good chance of happening, then I feel a little better. At least wouldn't have his head in the sand.

What's the number?

I'll call...

I'll start of like this, "This is the Hollywood Texan, deep in the heart of Dirty Hollywood, California,..."