PDA

View Full Version : Being a Texans fan is really hard.

gtexan02
09-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Heres what I mean:

First and foremost, I'm a football fan. But because I'm born and raised in Houston, I love the Texans as if I had grown up with them. They are my team, and I will always cheer for me.

But herein lies the dilemma. Do you watch the Texans play, knowing they will be inept and embarassing, or do you watch a good, close game between towo better teams? yesterday I watched the Redskins Texans, but in retrospect, I don't know if it was a good choice. I Tivo'd the game, and ended up fast forwarding through all the defense posessions. It was just not good football to watch the defense stand up and let the Redskins walk right by them.

What do you do?

HOU-TEX
09-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Heres what I mean:

First and foremost, I'm a football fan. But because I'm born and raised in Houston, I love the Texans as if I had grown up with them. They are my team, and I will always cheer for me.

But herein lies the dilemma. Do you watch the Texans play, knowing they will be inept and embarassing, or do you watch a good, close game between towo better teams? yesterday I watched the Redskins Texans, but in retrospect, I don't know if it was a good choice. I Tivo'd the game, and ended up fast forwarding through all the defense posessions. It was just not good football to watch the defense stand up and let the Redskins walk right by them.

What do you do?

Right now I guess we just take the punch in the mouth and move on. I see the offense improving and the defense regressing.

powerfuldragon
09-25-2006, 10:11 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/stand_firm.jpg

K.D.
09-25-2006, 10:13 AM
To tell you the truth, I'm working off-shore and I haven't watched the game yet, but my son recorded it for me and the way I'm feeling right now I don't think I'm going to watch it Wednesday when I get home. I've seen hi-lites and read this MB and putting all of this into account, I have a pretty good picture of how the game went. Defense sucks, can't get a 3rd down stop, no pass rush, reciever's wide ass open, no sacks, no int's, CB lead the game in tackles(which really is pathetic). As for the O, fumbling snaps, run-game is wishy-washy, but actually the O shows some signs which is alil exciting, but man you got it right, it's getting pretty hard to root for this team.

BTW, it's painful to watch a replay of the game when you know they lost by a f##king blow-out.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
:texan: but we need :sos:

Capster67
09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
I can certainly relate to the frustrations of rooting for a losing Houston football team. When I was in high school (81-85), I had to endure 7-9; 1-8; 2-14; and 3-13 records. My buddies teases me about improving by saying if we kept winning one more game each year like we did between 82-85, we'd eventually be undefeated - by the year 1997 (little did they now the franchise would finally reach the Super Bowl in 2000! Anyway, while the down years were tough to endure, the good years (87-93 - the years when Houston had the long stretch of playoff appearances of any team in the league) even better. I'll hang in there knowing better days are ahead.

D-Vizzl
09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
To tell you the truth, I'm working off-shore and I haven't watched the game yet, but my son recorded it for me and the way I'm feeling right now I don't think I'm going to watch it Wednesday when I get home. I've seen hi-lites and read this MB and putting all of this into account, I have a pretty good picture of how the game went. Defense sucks, can't get a 3rd down stop, no pass rush, reciever's wide ass open, no sacks, no int's, CB lead the game in tackles(which really is pathetic). As for the O, fumbling snaps, run-game is wishy-washy, but actually the O shows some signs which is alil exciting, but man you got it right, it's getting pretty hard to root for this team.

BTW, it's painful to watch a replay of the game when you know they lost by a f##king blow-out.

At least you are not watching sportscenter where they show you Mark Brunell's first 23 passes.

K.D.
09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
At least you are not watching sportscenter where they show you Mark Brunell's first 23 passes.

Oh I've seen SC, but got so pissed off I HAD to change the channel. I had to endure the Colts/Jaguars game, BTW, which pissed me off even more yesterday. Working out here in Louisiana waters, I have to hear the Saint's **** about tonight's game. Man I am so rooting for the Falcons like it aint no joke!!:yahoo:

Mycco
09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
I've tried and tried to root for this team, and the sad part is we have been getting worse and worse as the years go on.

New regime - same old eneptitude same lame attitude.

New O and New D - still can't put points on the board and still can't tackle, pressure, or cover anybody.

And they wonder why the fans don't get behind them. They need to give us some glimmer of hope or something to cheer about in order to get behind them. Otherwise, people will only attend the games to see the visitors play.

Yankee_In_TX
09-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I stand by my 'any given Sunday' belief.

But I find myself, at a 2-18 stretch (regular season), giving up hope easier. You can only witness too many brutal losses before it affects you.

How? I told people in the third, if we didn't score, I was going out to the parking lot. Tailgating games, free food and drink. Sadly, everyone around me agreed. In fact, a large portion of the front rows of the Bullpen were gone (myself included) by the 4th.

I am sorry we aren't there to support our team and the cheerleaders, but hey, give us a win and we'll stick around.

I'll be there Sunday, 7:30 AM, expecting a win. I'll walk into the stadium believing that. But, if we're getting the beat down of a lifetime, expect to see me out tailgating again by the 4th quarter.

nflnutswife
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I've tried and tried to root for this team, and the sad part is we have been getting worse and worse as the years go on.

New O and New D - still can't put points on the board and still can't tackle, pressure, or cover anybody.

And they wonder why the fans don't get behind them. They need to give us some glimmer of hope or something to cheer about in order to get behind them. Otherwise, people will only attend the games to see the visitors play.
I have to agree here, I am horse this morning from screaming in the first half, but it just got uglier as the game went on. I had no more enthusiasm by the 3rd quarter. So I spent the rest of the game harrassing the Redskin fan next to me! (in a friendly way of course) Although he didn't appreciate my throwing his hat onto the field!:fireball:

ItsAJtime
09-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Heres what I mean:

What do you do?

You need to thank God that you don't own a PSL. I am assuming this because of the tivo reference. If you do own a PSL, well I feel your pain and greetings from another sucker that bought into this team.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-25-2006, 10:39 AM
My oldest Daughter still keeps asking, are we ever going to win Daddy? :crying:

nflnutswife
09-25-2006, 10:43 AM

Just simply tell her "Yes, honey. . .someday, and it will be a great day!"
:fans:

SheTexan
I stand by my 'any given Sunday' belief.

But I find myself, at a 2-18 stretch (regular season), giving up hope easier. You can only witness too many brutal losses before it affects you.

How? I told people in the third, if we didn't score, I was going out to the parking lot. Tailgating games, free food and drink. Sadly, everyone around me agreed. In fact, a large portion of the front rows of the Bullpen were gone (myself included) by the 4th.

I am sorry we aren't there to support our team and the cheerleaders, but hey, give us a win and we'll stick around.

I'll be there Sunday, 7:30 AM, expecting a win. I'll walk into the stadium believing that. But, if we're getting the beat down of a lifetime, expect to see me out tailgating again by the 4th quarter.

:rolleyes:

V Man

I am just glad my son doesn't know who is winning yet; he just gets excited when the Texans tackle someone (and sadly lately so am I). Hopefully the Texans will turn it around before he starts to understand.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I am just glad my son doesn't know who is winning yet; he just gets excited when the Texans tackle someone (and sadly lately so am I). Hopefully the Texans will turn it around before he starts to understand.

She was real quick to it yesterday, when fans were booing David Carr after the volleyball hit yesterday at the game........But I have told her someday we will have a winning team, but until then be proud to say your a Texan.....

:texflag:

TexanFanInCC
09-25-2006, 10:58 AM
i will be happy again once smith gets toasted. when ur defense is allowing 500yds a game and u wont speak to the media after games like a coward, then i think something is not quite right.

im not even that concerned about the offense. i know the weak area is the lack of a running game, but maybe the texans can find a speedy guy on waivers that can actually break a big gain.

david carr is playing pretty good

Mycco
09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
She was real quick to it yesterday, when fans were booing David Carr after the volleyball hit yesterday at the game........But I have told her someday we will have a winning team, but until then be proud to say your a Texan.....

:texflag:

Awww....the innocence of youthful optimism. Let's hope when someday comes we are all still young enough to enjoy it.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
i will be happy again once smith gets toasted. when ur defense is allowing 500yds a game and u wont speak to the media after games like a coward, then i think something is not quite right.

im not even that concerned about the offense. i know the weak area is the lack of a running game, but maybe the texans can find a speedy guy on waivers that can actually break a big gain.

david carr is playing pretty good

I don't think we'll know much on the running game until the D can stop the other team from scoring an average of 32 pts a game. When you're playing from behind the run game basically becomes extinct. Until we stop them, we will not see our true running game.:twocents:

Buffi2
09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Ya' know, it isn't so much that we are losing - it is that we aren't even in the game.:brickwall I've been around since the beginning of this franchise and when we lost, at least the game was fun to watch as the games were somewhat? closer than they have been lately. To quote Denzel in Remember the Titans, "Football isn't fun anymore, is it?" Nope, no fun, no fun at all sir.

I can deal with the losses, but giving up 500 yards/game isn't losing - it just isn't even playing. Losing a relatively close game still gives you hope. This season is beyond anything I've ever seen in all of my put togethers and I've been put together one helluva long time.

Having said that I feel better and I still have hope that we will become a winning team. I'm not giving up - I hope the players don't either. I'll be back in the stands next Sunday :yahoo: and :redtowel:

Go Texans!

Vinny
09-25-2006, 11:12 AM
I heard we were getting a NFL team in Houston. So far we get to see one in town each Sunday. Two bad we are still waiting to see two each week.

I used to say the NFL didn't have a Rice or Vanderbilt....this is what it is like to be a fan of Rice.

QB75
09-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Heres what I mean:

What do you do?

You watch the TEXANS.

Double Barrel
09-25-2006, 11:19 AM
This team does not deserve us fans.

I'll keeping renewing (WHY?!) my tickets, and keep tailgating, and even staying until 0:00 is on the clock...but I don't begrudge any fans for giving up, wearing bags, booing, or whatever else you need to do to vent your frustrations.

As a matter of fact, I hope fans can form a bond and avoid turning on each other. It's not our fault. We've supported this team with stadium sellouts, rabid tailgating, massive amounts of gear sold, and everything else that NFL fans do for their teams.

And what do we get in return? Garbage. We don't deserve that, and this team certainly doesn't deserve us.

I'm disgusted with that pathetic display we've seen on the field. Making Mark Brunell look like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana is insulting, and then letting him set an NFL record just adds salt to the wounds.

TexanfaninBigD
09-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Being a Texans fan and living in Dallas...how in the world am I going to ask a sports bar to put on the Texans game up here? ..Better yet WHY would I ask to watch the game?

The offense has not improved ...just gotten lucky to have scored points in the past three games and the defense, with our number 1 pick is horrible. Has Williams been anything to deserve his paycheck?!?

profan
09-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Being a Texans fan and living in Dallas...how in the world am I going to ask a sports bar to put on the Texans game up here? ..Better yet WHY would I ask to watch the game?

The offense has not improved ...just gotten lucky to have scored points in the past three games and the defense, with our number 1 pick is horrible. Has Williams been anything to deserve his paycheck?!?

i think the only time you can request this without being laughed at will be when the texans play the cowboys.

Mycco
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
i think the only time you can request this without being laughed at will be when the texans play the cowboys.

After seeing how Dallas did against Washington, who in Houston actually believes they stand a chance against the Cowboys w/ or w/o T.O.?

FILO_girl
09-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Heres what I mean:

What do you do?

This is what separates the men from the boys, the women from the whiners.

I knew going up the escalator yesterday that I would be leaving it with a loss. I just wanted them to show up and do their best, and they didn't. That pissed me off, but keep in mind, this is how I see it.

I am a Texans fan:

Through wins and losses
For better or for worse...or worser
Through good contracts and bloated ones (richer or poorer)
Embracing the IR and PUPs and Pro Bowlers (for sickness and in health)
To love and cherish, with license to complain whenever needed.
'Til death to us part

(FILOgirl's Texans' fan vows)

:)

Mycco
09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
This is what separates the men from the boys, the women from the whiners.

I knew going up the escalator yesterday that I would be leaving it with a loss. I just wanted them to show up and do their best, and I didn't. But keep in mind, this is how I see it.

I am a Texans fan:

Through wins and losses
For better or for worse...or worser
Through good contracts and bloated ones (richer or poorer)
Embracing the IR and PUPs and Pro Bowlers (for sickness and in health)
To love and cherish, with license to complain whenever needed.
'Til death to us part

(FILOgirl's Texans' fan vows)

:)

Passing on Reggie and trying to sell you on Mario should be grounds for divorce, but I admire your heart. Now if the team could somehow show some heart...we could enjoy more of the good instead of re-living the bad week after week.

kcwilson
09-25-2006, 12:15 PM
What is really tough to stomach sometimes is the 'plan' that people keep trying to sell us on. While I think that the run game to Kubiak is the most important, we just have too much talent in Moulds, Johnson, and depth at TE not to be a passing team. The OL has shown improvement but we just don't have the talent at RB right now to run the ball down someone's throat.

I was on the Reggie wagon and have bought into the Mario plan. I am not going to sell Mario off after three games, if so, I would have to sell off every member of the defense. Dunta hasn't even looked very good. Although, based on the number of times he has throw his hands in the air after a play, I am assuming that he id frustrated that the rest of the defense is not communicating well and maintaining the responsiblities.

I like the core of Earl, Robinson, Ryans and Williams, but this will take time... the current process is painful to watch. In the long run, I think we have the making of a solid core, the return of Kailee Wong I think will be a jump start to the linebacking core.

I would like for once to see Kubiak lose it on the sideline at how undisciplined we are.... the defense is always knocked for not making big plays, well, we have made two big plays of note recently, both negated by undiciplined penalties.

(1) the Earl int against Indy where c.c. brown tackled a WR
(2) Thomas Johnson's personal foul on the Orr TD return... based on little penetration that Johnson got, why in the hell would he do anything when he is so far out of the play?

Those were both momentum changes that could have made us believe in our defense a little, but instead, just end up making the Texans into the Charlie Brown blockheads (except we don't really block all that well) we are.

TexanBearkat
09-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree with Buffi2 completely.....losing is one thing, but not being competitive is another. I truly believe this is going to get turned around at some point. Most of my frustration has come on the Defensive side of the ball. I've yet to see the aggressiveness, no pass rush (that goes for the whole defensive line, not just Mario) and the secondary is giving the receivers was too much room. I understand they are in a new scheme, but the object is still the same; get to the QB when he is attempting to pass, cover the WR's and tackle the RB when they have the ball. The offense has not been great by any stretch but at least I can see improvements there.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
09-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I've said this before, but it needs to be aired out again: It is getting more and more difficult to get up before seven in the morning to go tailgating before these horrible excuses for football games.