PDA

View Full Version : I miss Robaire

gtexan02
09-25-2006, 09:16 AM
At least when the rest of our awful DL was stinking it up last year, he didn't play too awful.

Runner
09-25-2006, 09:19 AM
At least when the rest of our awful DL was stinking it up last year, he didn't play too awful.

Money was certainly a factor in his release, but when the defense performs the way it has you have to review if that was a good decision. It can't be undone, but you don't want to make the same mistake again.

When they cut Robaire they picked up the now well known Thomas Johnson to fill his roster spot, IIRC.

infantrycak
09-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Our best DLmen is our only non-1st rounder. Anyone still in favor of cutting Payne because he is "old?"

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Our best DLmen is our only non-1st rounder. Anyone still in favor of cutting Payne because he is "old?"

And injury prone. :rolleyes:

JustBonee
09-25-2006, 10:02 AM

yeah ... if ever there was a team in need of direction and experience, it is the Texans. .. Sharper ... Glenn .. bigtime mistakes also.
They shot themselves in the foot with those decisions. Get rid of leaders and exciting players and you get what you have now.

Tulip
09-25-2006, 11:56 AM
And injury prone. :rolleyes:

I thought you were serious about Payne at first, lol.

I am still questioning the decision to cut Robaire. He accounts for a lot of dead cap space, and I'm not a fan of dead money. We could be getting something out of him instead of letting another team get something out of him. I know he got injured early this season playing for the Titans, but that doesn't mean he would have been injured here.

texasguy346
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
I thought you were serious about Payne at first, lol.

I am still questioning the decision to cut Robaire. He accounts for a lot of dead cap space, and I'm not a fan of dead money. We could be getting something out of him instead of letting another team get something out of him. I know he got injured early this season playing for the Titans, but that doesn't mean he would have been injured here.

He's got to be better than Thomas Johnson or even Travis Johnson. At least with Robaire and Payne in the middle of the line we wouldn't see draw plays go for a touchdown.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't miss Smith....he was a dog. He has his obligatory 1 tackle so far this year so it's not like he is lighting it up for the tacks. If we are going to rebuild we may as well launch the dogs who have massive contracts.

BlueThunder
09-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Payne would already mostlikely already be gone if his price tag wasn't going to hit the cap so hard last year.He may be a servicable player but we need to get younger and get fight for jobs around here..

I could see a major battle in the trenches between UDFA's next year...

We may not be able to challenge the NFL but we can da**' sure challenge the players we have..

FILO_girl
09-25-2006, 12:45 PM
yeah ... if ever there was a team in need of direction and experience, it is the Texans. .. Sharper ... Glenn .. bigtime mistakes also.
They shot themselves in the foot with those decisions. Get rid of leaders and exciting players and you get what you have now.

The voice of reason. :) Totally agree Sassy!

Vinny
09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Payne would already mostlikely already be gone if his price tag wasn't going to hit the cap so hard last year.He may be a servicable player but we need to get younger and get fight for jobs around here..

I could see a major battle in the trenches between UDFA's next year...

We may not be able to challenge the NFL but we can da**' sure challenge the players we have..
What the heck good does getting younger do if you aren't getting better? Payne is clearly the best D linemen on the Texans right now.

Tulip
09-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Constantly striving for youth makes it harder to find leadership in the locker room and on the field. I definitely do not advocate cutting deeper and getting rid of Seth Payne. To me, that's just moving faster in the wrong direction.

aj.
09-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Robaire was/is a slug.

He had a good understudy in TJ. Two peas in a pod while they were together.

tburdette
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM

Yes, I am all for getting rid of Payne and maybe picking up a 5th or 6th rounder for him. I think Payne is holding us back. If he is gone then we can move Weaver inside and put Peek or Babin outside so maybe we could get some kind of a pass rush. Payne is a good player and might be our best DL but this team is going nowhere fast and we need to develop some of our younger players skills. This would be a great time to do it and still get something for Payne while we can.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
I take it you haven't seen them play...Payne isn't setting anyone back. No sense getting younger if you aren't getting better

Scooter
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Yes, I am all for getting rid of Payne and maybe picking up a 5th or 6th rounder for him. I think Payne is holding us back. If he is gone then we can move Weaver inside and put Peek or Babin outside so maybe we could get some kind of a pass rush. Payne is a good player and might be our best DL but this team is going nowhere fast and we need to develop some of our younger players skills. This would be a great time to do it and still get something for Payne while we can.

"might be our best DL". "payne is holding us back". help me here because i'm apparently a little slow, how is our best player holding us back? this isnt madden where you can stockpile young guys with big speed ratings. in the NFL, veterans carry the team, especially when things are going poorly. right now payne is the only veteran presence on our defense and he's a soft spoken DT. if anything we need to get rid of some of this youth (T & T Johnsons) and try to find more seth paynes.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 02:17 PM
this isnt madden where you can stockpile young guys with big speed ratings.lol good point...way too much video game logic going around now days.

NEROtheZERO
09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't miss Smith....he was a dog. He has his obligatory 1 tackle so far this year so it's not like he is lighting it up for the tacks. If we are going to rebuild we may as well launch the dogs who have massive contracts.

I agree. The same people complaining about cutting Smith, are the same people complaining about rebuilding the team, are the same people ignoring the fiscal aspects of the game. If we want to rebuild we have to rid ourselves of the bad contracts left over from the Casserly era.

One step backward to make two foward...

Second Honeymoon
09-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Payne is not the problem on the defense. The problem was that we got rid of Robaire when we should have kept him, at least for depth reasons. Coming off a 2-14 season we need all the help we can get. Being under the cap is totally unacceptable and I place the blame squarely on McNair for this. McNair needs to realize that every player on your team can't be a choir boy. Bush obviously didn't come off too well with McNair and that led to our 'unpopular but wise' pick of Super Soft Mario. Getting rid of Glenn, Sharper, McRee, and R.Smith has obviously not worked out too well for us.

Tell McNair to stay the freak away from our team and to open up his damn wallet. Those empty seats will eventually turn into lost revenue for McNair and his billion dollar franchise will go the way of the dodo bird. This is the last year my family owns Texans season tickets and that is only because we had to pay the down payment before the debacle that was the draft. We can't even sell our tickets at face value and that should tell you something. This offseason we will definitely sell our PSL and will not re-up for next year's season. Until McNair, Kubes, and Co. show they can field a competitive product, I will just watch games at home or the local sports pub. My biggest fear is that things are going to get worse once our promising players defect to organizations that show they can make safe picks.

Oh another thing, what the hell is the problem with the Texans drafting Longhorns. Do the Texans have some sort of anti-Longhorn agenda? They pass on Derrick Johnson when he falls into their lap and they pick up that worthless pile of garbage that is T.Johnston. They draft Sloan at WR and the guy leads WRs in yardage last preseason and they cut the guy. Then we win the lottery and have our choice between Vince and Bush and pass on them both to pick up Mario. This is how our defense would have been changed if anyone with a brain had been running the franchise the past 2+ years.

IN:

Derrick Johnson
Aaron Glenn
Marlon McRee
Robaire Smith

OUT:

T. Johnston (fat and worthless)
M. Williams (pillow soft and worthless)
M. Greenwood (ineffective, expensive, and worthless)

oh and we would have had either Bush, D'Brickashaw, Hawk or Vince wearing a Texans uniform....needless to say we wouldnt be the laughing stock of the league that we currently are....the Texans are a bad joke at the moment and we only have to point to McNair, Asserley, and Kubiak to place blame. Kubiak's current record in the draft is a D+ and the only reason it isnt an F is because of DeMeco and the young OL that were drafted.....

I am sick of biting my tongue about Mario...the dude absolutely sucks and drafting him looks like it will set us back anothe 2-3 years....the fact that we have spent EARLY 1st round picks on DL for 2 years in a row and we have the worst defense in the league should tell you something....

disgruntled fan,
Doug from the Woodlands

Vinny
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Payne is not the problem on the defense. The problem was that we got rid of Robaire when we should have kept him, at least for depth reasons. Coming off a 2-14 season we need all the help we can get. Being under the cap is totally unacceptable and I place the blame squarely on McNair for this. Smith wasn't a player and sometimes you just have to admit you made a mistake in scouting players. He carries 5,566,667 in dead money the next two years....and the sooner he is off the books the better. No sense in keeping average players who are ridiculously over paid when you are trying to tell your young players they need to get better to get paid. If you keep Robaire you send the message that all you have to do is play like a chump and you will be a millionare and get a fat contract.

Second Honeymoon
09-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Smith wasn't a player and sometimes you just have to admit you made a mistake in scouting players. He carries 5,566,667 in dead money the next two years....and the sooner he is off the books the better. No sense in keeping average players who are ridiculously over paid when you are trying to tell your young players they need to get better to get paid. If you keep Robaire you send the message that all you have to do is play like a chump and you will be a millionare and get a fat contract.

The Texan's have been reinforcing the message of 'play like a chump, get paid like a champ' from the beginning. Walker, Smith, Carr, Greenwood, Mario, Travis Johnston, and Wade have all played like chumps for the better part of their Texan's careers, yet most are still on team. I don't see how holding one or two accountable for their bad play is sending the right message. Geez, Carr got rewarded with a new contract after a miserable 2-14 season in which he stunk up the joint weekly....I hear what you are saying Vinny, but I dont believe in getting rid of players for purely financial reasons....Smith would be helping this team if he was on it. Was he overpaid? Yes. Was he playing up to his potential? Probably not. But he could have helped and built more depth...

Doug from The Woodlands