PDA

View Full Version : 61 Says it all....

HomeBred_Texan
09-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Total rushing yards for 4 full quarters...

Dayne 14 att 58 yds 4.1 avg
Carr 3 atts 3 yds 1.0 avg
Gado 1 atts 0.0 yds 0.0 avg

This is not good at all. We have to make this better or our defense will continue to spiral out of control. You know they get tired too, which is no excuse. But we ran the ball with RB's only 15 atts? What is up? Passing 19/29 for 208 yds. We need more offense and let the defense rest... But that is just my opinion....

HomeBred_Texan
09-25-2006, 08:04 AM
If this keeps up I will be addicted to valium in no time. Just took 2, will get back with ya in 8 - 10 hours... :hides:

gtexan02
09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Our rushing was totally fine today. You can't run the ball 30 times a game when you are down 21-7 at half time. You pass to get the lead, run to preserve it. Running the ball when you are down late is not a good gameplan.

powerfuldragon
09-25-2006, 08:07 AM
we used to have good run blocking...

Runner
09-25-2006, 08:16 AM

Now we seem to prefer lineman that can play multiple positions to having the best player available at each single position. This saves one roster spot for 0-lineman. 9 instead of 10.

What stellar player are we keeping on the roster in place of this 10th lineman? Is he worth the cost to our running and passing game?

If Kubiak is taking responsibility and therefore looking for things to change in his approach, he may want to look at this philosophy and see if there is room for improvement.

Cjeremy635
09-25-2006, 09:41 AM
I agree about our rushing being OK. We are averaging over 4 YPC. That's not the problem. We don't have the ball enough to get into an offensive rythm and we don't get the other team's offense off of the field, EVER. When you have other teams having drives that eat up huge chunks of the clock, it kills anything you can do on offense. The defense has to step up, period. I would take last years D and this years O in a heartbeat. Before you start saying I'm crazy, we lost several games last year by 7 points or less. I think we can score now, we just can't stop anyone from scoring on us and we aren't like a Colts or Chiefs offensive unit that can have a sorry D and outscore you 49 to 45 for a win.

profan
09-25-2006, 09:44 AM
our defense sucks so much it takes our running game away. We will never have the stats until the other even guys opposite of the offense do something to keep the games close.

Hulk75
09-25-2006, 09:48 AM
our defense sucks so much it takes our running game away. We will never have the stats until the other even guys opposite of the offense do something to keep the games close.

Right on Right on Right on! We can run the football, the Defense needs to get some 3 and outs and get us on the field.

I believe we had less then 40 snaps on Offense yesterday? I cant remeber if that is right but I believe it is.

40 snaps on Offense and we gave up 500 yards on Defense, I think I know what the problem is.

Runner
09-25-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree about our rushing being OK. We are averaging over 4 YPC. That's not the problem.

We averaged slightly less than 4 ypc if you take both RBs who got carries into account. I think that is a problem if you are a run oriented team. 58 yards? That is not good.

RBs 15/58 = 3.9 ypc

Add in Carr's three rushes for 3 yards and you get 3.4 ypc, but I'm assuming all of his were on scrambles and don't count them.

D-Vizzl
09-25-2006, 09:58 AM
I will be rewatching the game when I get off work but from what I saw the run game is part of the problem. All we really see is Dayne breaking off let's say a 7 yard gain, but if you look at the play again it shows he got 7 yards but a simple cut or juke would have allowed him to gain 27. The holes are there for a big play run game but our backs are slow and plodding, including Gado (as he has been dubbed a speed back)

Samkonfan
09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Gado does have a better speed burst than Dayne. He is not by any means a speedster but he has enough moves to take it to the house. For example the spin move on Brian Dawkins last year against Philly. He needs to be able to get in the flow of the game. but like someone else says if you are down by 2-3 scores at half. Its hard to establish the run. The Defense needs a lot of work!!!

Cjeremy635
09-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I will be rewatching the game when I get off work but from what I saw the run game is part of the problem. All we really see is Dayne breaking off let's say a 7 yard gain, but if you look at the play again it shows he got 7 yards but a simple cut or juke would have allowed him to gain 27. The holes are there for a big play run game but our backs are slow and plodding, including Gado (as he has been dubbed a speed back)

I agree with you about the holes being there and Dayne not getting to them on time. He's a power back that can pound it. Why didn't we play Gado much or Lundy ever? That made no sense to me. I would have used RBBC in that game to see which one would have shined. Our defense is now known as "the silk curtain" around the league. Not the nick name we were hoping for this offseason when we had the discussion on this board. They suck and need to be aggressive and put pressure on the opposing team. I am happy to see us airing the ball out down the field though. One bright spot I guess. :shades:

D-Vizzl
09-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Our defense is now known as "the silk curtain" around the league.

Man, that one is classic, and it hurts, but it's so funny.

TexanFanInCC
09-25-2006, 10:34 AM

This is not good at all. We have to make this better or our defense will continue to spiral out of control. You know they get tired too, which is no excuse. But we ran the ball with RB's only 15 atts? What is up? Passing 19/29 for 208 yds. We need more offense and let the defense rest... But that is just my opinion....

4.1 rushing average is pretty good, but number of carries is down bc the defense couldnt stop anything.

HomeBred_Texan
09-25-2006, 11:51 AM
4.1 rushing average is pretty good, but number of carries is down bc the defense couldnt stop anything.

Not when you don't rush much. 1 big gain can make the whole stat look misleading. This was suppose to be a "any rb can run" offense and it's not. If everytime we got the ball in the 1st quarter, we ran it like we owned it, the defense would not have been on the field. We are NOT getting those long time consuming runs we are suppose to. The running game is broke, period. But this is all just my opinion.

Along with the whole defense scheme currently in play...

JDizzle
09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
We ran the ball 10 times in the first half, 5 in the second half (Not counting the 2pt conversion). When you are trying to erase a 3 score deficit in 2 quarters your running game goes bye-bye.

HomeBred_Texan
09-25-2006, 12:07 PM
We ran the ball 10 times in the first half, 5 in the second half (Not counting the 2pt conversion). When you are trying to erase a 3 score deficit in 2 quarters your running game goes bye-bye.

Don't know if that was thrown at me or not, but I will try to catch it, LOL.

I guess my point is, that if our running game was on track, that every possession we have, we gain 4.1 or 3.9 yards a carry, we would eat the heck out of the clock. Then we wouldn't be down by 21 points. The other team only scored when they have control of the ball, excluding fumbles and interseptions. We have to control the ball. We cannot become 1 dimensional on offense. Does that make sense or am I just flapping in the wind?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
09-25-2006, 12:15 PM
A good offensive line has to become a Gelled unit. These guys have not even been playing together for a 1/2 season yet. The reason Favre looked so good is because he had the same offensive line for 5+years. He lost 3 offensive linemen in 2 consecutive offseasons and now he is sucking right now as well.

I hate to say it, but it will probably take until game 8 or so before I think we will see an offensive line gelling to be on the same page and be comfortable.

The reason the Bears offensive line is tight right now is because they have been playing together for 2-3 years now and they are ALL veterans, senior veterans at that. I think we only have 2 more years with 3 of these guys before they retire or want to end their career elsewhere, then we will be suffering again unless the coaching staff has grooming lineman behind these great vets. (sorry Bears digression)

Needless to say, it is going to take time. I think you can see this because they are keeping TEs in on the line instead of spreading the field with AJ, Moulds, and Walter as I think they had planned to do before the season began.

With DD going down and the offensive line not showing opponents a threat to run, Defenses are scheming with many blitz packages making the offense react to what the defense is giving them versus the offense dictating what they will do to the defenses!!!

IT WILL GET BETTER~!!! It has to

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Our rushing was totally fine today. You can't run the ball 30 times a game when you are down 21-7 at half time. You pass to get the lead, run to preserve it. Running the ball when you are down late is not a good gameplan.

That's only 14 points.... IF we could establish our run game to start the third Qtr, and get some defensive stops, we could & probably should've ran the ball more to control & win the game.

Third Quarter
Washington Redskins at 15:00
J.Hall kicks 69 yards from WAS 30 to HST 1. P.Buchanon to HST 29 for 28 yards (K.Campbell).
PENALTY on HST-T.Evans, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at HST 29. Penalty on HST-C.Anderson, Offensive Holding, declined.
Houston Texans at 14:53
1-10-HOU19 (14:53) R.Dayne right guard to HST 21 for 2 yards (L.Marshall, W.Holdman).
2-8-HOU21 (14:26) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to J.Putzier (C.Griffin).
3-8-HOU21 (14:21) D.Carr pass incomplete short left to A.Johnson.
4-8-HOU21 (14:15) C.Stanley punts 49 yards to WAS 30, Center-B.Pittman, downed by HST-D.Polk. (Punt hang time 5.6 seconds.)

This in no way helped our cause.

Then Washington taking us down the field for 8.5 minutes, and scoring a touchdown, took the run game out of our offensive plans.

Well, we used to run a variation of the ZBS..... evidently, we don't have the players to run that system........ even though they are the same people from last year(from LG to RT & TE) and our LT is familiar with the ZBS.

I guess our avg at best runningback was a little more talented than we gave him credit for
Now we seem to prefer lineman that can play multiple positions to having the best player available at each single position. This saves one roster spot for 0-lineman. 9 instead of 10.

What stellar player are we keeping on the roster in place of this 10th lineman? Is he worth the cost to our running and passing game?

If Kubiak is taking responsibility and therefore looking for things to change in his approach, he may want to look at this philosophy and see if there is room for improvement.

How many Sacks did Hogdon give up?? How many sacks did Salaam give up??

How many sacks did we give up against Washington?? HOw many did we give up to Indy?? to Philly??

I agree about our rushing being OK. We are averaging over 4 YPC. That's not the problem. We don't have the ball enough to get into an offensive rythm and we don't get the other team's offense off of the field, EVER.
1st Qtr: 3 & out
4-1-WAS23 (12:54) D.Frost punts 52 yards to HST 25, Center-E.Albright. P.Buchanon to HST 34 for 9 yards (K.Campbell).

2nd Qtr 3 & out
Washington Redskins at 11:20
4-2-WAS18 (9:18) D.Frost punts 60 yards to HST 22, Center-E.Albright. P.Buchanon ran ob at HST 29 for 7 yards (J.Thrash). (Punt hang time 4.7 seconds.)

4th Qtr: hold to FG
4-9-HOU28 (14:55) J.Hall 46 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-E.Albright, Holder-D.Frost.
WAS 31 HOU 7, Plays: 6 Yards: 33 Possession: 1:59.

Your definition of EVER must be different from mine.
Right on Right on Right on! We can run the football, the Defense needs to get some 3 and outs and get us on the field.

I believe we had less then 40 snaps on Offense yesterday? I cant remeber if that is right but I believe it is.

40 snaps on Offense and we gave up 500 yards on Defense, I think I know what the problem is.

See above... yes we have defensive problems, but we got the ball back twice & our offense did nothing with their 40 snaps. Fumbling the ball & getting snaps on offensive possessions don't help your defense win games.

I agree with you about the holes being there and Dayne not getting to them on time. He's a power back that can pound it.

It's not that he didn't get to the hole on time..... he just didn't see it till it was too late. One cut here, one juke there..... he'd have been gone for sure.

& while he can break some tackles, and can run with power, it's not his strong suite.

Wrong.........

1-10-HOU19 (14:53) R.Dayne right guard to HST 21 for 2 yards (L.Marshall, W.Holdman).
4-8-HOU21 (14:15) C.Stanley punts 49 yards to WAS 30, Center-B.Pittman, downed by HST-D.Polk. (Punt hang time 5.6 seconds.)

We started the third Qtr down by 14. A bad throw to Putz(IIRC) & a dropped ball by AJ stopped our drive..... not a poor run game.

Not when you don't rush much. 1 big gain can make the whole stat look misleading. This was suppose to be a "any rb can run" offense and it's not. If everytime we got the ball in the 1st quarter, we ran it like we owned it, the defense would not have been on the field. We are NOT getting those long time consuming runs we are suppose to. The running game is broke, period. But this is all just my opinion.

Along with the whole defense scheme currently in play...

1st possesion...... 2 carries 11 rushing yards..... 2 reception 55 yards.... Touchdown.
Houston 7 Washington 0
2nd possesion.... 2 carries 14 rushing yards.... 1 reception 7 yards.... 1 QB fumble...... punt.

Houston 7 Washington 7
3rd possesion..... we are now down 14-7
David Carr fumble... pass incomplete...... pass incomplet.... we get a first down on a penalty... Pass incomplete.... Ron Dayne 7 yards.... Ron Dayne 4 yards..... False start go back 5 yards...... Ron Dayne 7 yards.... pass incomplete..... punt.

4th possesion.. our defense got us a 3 & out.. .. we are still down 14-7
Houston Texans at 09:04
1-10-HOU29 (9:04) R.Dayne right guard to HST 34 for 5 yards (D.Evans).
2-5-HOU34 (8:29) D.Carr pass short left to E.Moulds to HST 40 for 6 yards (C.Rogers).
1-10-HOU40 (7:56) R.Dayne right tackle to HST 40 for no gain (C.Griffin; M.Washington).
2-10-HOU40 (7:25) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to O.Daniels (A.Archuleta).
3-10-HOU40 (7:18) D.Carr pass to A.Johnson pushed ob at 50 for 10 yards (C.Rogers).
1-10-50 (6:50) PENALTY on HST-Z.Wiegert, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at 50 - No Play.
1-20-HOU40 (6:18) D.Carr pass short left to J.Putzier to WAS 48 for 12 yards (L.Marshall, C.Rogers).
2-8-WAS48 (5:45) S.Gado left guard to WAS 48 for no gain (W.Holdman).
3-8-WAS48 (5:07) D.Carr pass incomplete to E.Moulds (M.Washington). WAS-A.Carter was injured during the play.
4-8-WAS48 (5:02) C.Stanley punts 34 yards to WAS 14, Center-B.Pittman. A.Randle El pushed ob at WAS 18 for 4 yards (J.Simmons). (Punt hang time 4.4 seconds.)

5th possesion..... down 21-7
One small run...... two incomplete passes.

6th possession... down 28-7 with 5:25 left in the third.

Houston Texans at 05:29
1-10-HOU18 (5:29) D.Carr pass short middle to A.Johnson to HST 21 for 3 yards (K.Wright).
2-7-HOU21 (5:29) PENALTY on HST-J.Putzier, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at HST 21 - No Play.
2-12-HOU16 (4:56) D.Carr pass short left to A.Johnson pushed ob at HST 29 for 13 yards (S.Taylor).
1-10-HOU29 (4:29) D.Carr pass short middle to E.Moulds to HST 38 for 9 yards (W.Holdman, C.Rogers).
2-1-HOU38 (4:00) R.Dayne right tackle to HST 38 for no gain (P.Daniels, C.Griffin).
3-1-HOU38 (3:29) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 40 for 2 yards (P.Daniels).
1-10-HOU40 (2:55) D.Carr pass short right to A.Johnson to HST 47 for 7 yards (S.Taylor, W.Holdman).
2-3-HOU47 (2:23) D.Carr pass short left to E.Moulds pushed ob at WAS 46 for 7 yards (A.Archuleta).
1-10-WAS46 (1:58) D.Carr scrambles to WAS 43 for 3 yards (A.Montgomery). FUMBLES (A.Montgomery), RECOVERED by WAS-K.Golston at WAS 39. K.Golston to WAS 39 for no gain (M.Bruener).

Our next possesion ended in a touchdown..... & 2 point conversion. we are down 31-15.

Our defense Forces a Fumblefor a touchdown which is negated by a penalty

with 5 minutes left in the Qtr...... Eric Moulds is on the bench.. 3 straight passes to Andre who doesn't get out of bounds on any of them. Andre is tired, he goes to the bench....... & who do they put in?? our 3rd & 4th string WRs.... & David underthrows Walter in the endzone......

Classic.

Scooter
09-25-2006, 12:56 PM

no, we really didnt. we used to have domanick davis making something out of nothing.

Runner
09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
How many Sacks did Hogdon give up?? How many sacks did Salaam give up??

Hodgdon is not a multi position player, so he is the type of player I want.

Salaam was pushed back to Carr frequently - Dave just got rid of the ball before he took the sack for a change. That is an improvement of Carr's that bailed out the line on a few occasions.

Ibar_Harry
09-25-2006, 01:22 PM

Normally, I would agree with you, but the running game is not our strength. We need to pass even more, not less to make our running game effective when we do it. We have to make them so unconcerned about the run they ignore it and then we will be effective. Running is not our strength.

Gado may eventually be effective, but I still do not believe Dayne is the answer. What we have are receivers and good ones and we must make even better use of them. I would use the backs as receivers as well.

When we have run successfully and long has been after a long series of passes. Our backs at this time are average at best and run best when they are not expected to be running the ball.

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Normally, I would agree with you, but the running game is not our strength. We need to pass even more, not less to make our running game effective when we do it. We have to make them so unconcerned about the run they ignore it and then we will be effective. Running is not our strength.

Gado may eventually be effective, but I still do not believe Dayne is the answer. What we have are receivers and good ones and we must make even better use of them. I would use the backs as receivers as well.

When we have run successfully and long has been after a long series of passes. Our backs at this time are average at best and run best when they are not expected to be running the ball.

OUr first two plays from scrimmage:
Houston Texans at 12:54
1-10-HOU34 (12:54) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 36 for 2 yards (M.Washington, S.Taylor).
2-8-HOU36 (12:17) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 45 for 9 yards (A.Archuleta).

OUr first two plays of our second possesion:
Houston Texans at 08:37
1-10-HOU21 (8:37) R.Dayne right guard to HST 22 for 1 yard (C.Griffin).
2-9-HOU22 (7:59) D.Carr pass short middle to R.Dayne to HST 35 for 13 yards (C.Rogers).

OUr third possession:
Houston Texans at 14:45
1-10-HOU29 (14:45) D.Carr FUMBLES (Aborted) at HST 29, and recovers at HST 29.
2-11-HOU29 (14:20) D.Carr pass incomplete to R.Dayne (L.Marshall).
3-11-HOU29 (14:13) D.Carr pass incomplete to A.Johnson.
PENALTY on WAS-M.Rumph, Illegal Use of Hands, 5 yards, enforced at HST 29 - No Play.
1-10-HOU34 (14:02) R.Dayne left end to HST 37 for 3 yards (A.Montgomery).
PENALTY on WAS-W.Holdman, Face Mask (5 Yards), 5 yards, enforced at HST 37.
1-2-HOU42 (13:40) D.Carr pass incomplete deep middle to A.Johnson (C.Rogers).
2-2-HOU42 (13:39) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 49 for 7 yards (M.Washington, L.Marshall).
1-10-HOU49 (13:10) R.Dayne right guard to WAS 47 for 4 yards (C.Griffin).
2-6-WAS47 (13:10) PENALTY on HST-C.Pitts, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 47 - No Play.
2-11-HOU48 (12:18) R.Dayne right end to WAS 45 for 7 yards (W.Holdman).
3-4-WAS45 (11:36) D.Carr pass incomplete short left to O.Daniels (M.Washington).
4-4-WAS45 (11:29) C.Stanley punts 35 yards to WAS 10, Center-B.Pittman, fair catch by A.Randle El. (Punt hang time 5.4
Notice all the incomplete passes.... the QB fumble.... the only thing working.. was the run.

I can do this for the whole game...... our passing game didn't open up our running game. OUr running game... or threat of... opened up the passing game.