PDA

View Full Version : The root of the problem?

gtexan02
09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Richard Smith or the DL? Discuss.

I think its Richard Smith. These guys have looked progressively worse and worse every week, an indication of poor coaching. They played well with instict in the preseason, and have regressed since then.

texflex513
09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Richard Smith or the DL? Discuss.

I think its Richard Smith. These guys have looked progressively worse and worse every week, an indication of poor coaching. They played well with instict in the preseason, and have regressed since then.

thats actually a tough one most likely a combo of both... with an extra side dish of secondary..

Tulip
09-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm starting to think the staff has been spending too much time trying to "upgrade" personnel. At some point, you have to focus on coaching.

I didn't like Richard Smith's play calling today or the previous two weeks. I think he's making his players look worse than they are playing.

Honoring Earl 34
09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I think the players have a country club mentality ... their not very assertive out there .

NO PASS RUSH
09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I think its a LACK of Talent really!!

HoustonFan
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Just a little off topic, but how would you feel if we were 0-3 with Vince Young or Reggie Bush?

Reggie Bush has obviously made the Saints play much better. VY, well he's the home town guy that put his team on his back in the Rose Bowl to win the Natl. Championship, and is currently struggling a bit. But he does have the attitude to win.

Bottomline the Texans just need someone that is going to improve the morale on this team. get them fired up.

Tulip
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
The fans need a player to fire them up. The team needs a leader.

actionbull
09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Defense looks like a bunch of slugs. If I see Carr fumble another snap I am going postal. How hard is that? He probably needs to run over to Robertson to see a real quarterback at UH.

alphajoker
09-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Playcalling which basically means Richard Smith. Too many times was the wrong play called where the line stunted and the Skins would hand off right up the gut and there wasn't a defensive linemen within 3 yards.

Ibar_Harry
09-24-2006, 06:20 PM
The fans need something to fire them up. The team needs a leader.
Yes, but when you are scored on as much as we are its very difficult to play with any enthusiasm. We scored 1st just like in the Philly game only to see it disappear in a heart beat. It is very difficult to build any momentum under those circumstances.

Goldeagle
09-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Thank God for Demeco, and I was upset with the pick!

Grid
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
See..I dont think it was entirely playcalling..not by a long shot. Though it does appear as though we are NOT calling the plays that put us in a position to make a difference.

But, for example at the end of the second quarter when everyone in the stadium, and sitting at home, KNEW that the Redskins were about to hand it off to Portis so that they could pick up a few more yards and call a timeout and kick a field goal before the half... despite the fact that EVERYONE KNEW that was coming..even Richard Smith.. he still ran it in for a touchdown.

That wasnt bad play calling..that was shoddy play by our defense.

afcman
09-24-2006, 06:22 PM
The fans need something to fire them up. The team needs a leader.

Yeah. And, sadly, I don't see Carr doing it. Look, let me say this: I think Carr has fantastic potential. But maybe it would be good to try someone else. Maybe we should part for the betterment of both parties. I honestly think Carr needs a year off to clear his head.

And I'm glad we don't have VY. But Bush wouldv'e been a start. (Makes me wonder if they let Bush go just to help out the city of New Orleans)

As a side note: I'm glad the Colts beat the F'in Jags. :redtowel:

DRAMA
09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
It may not be playcalling but I know when the safeties are sitting 30 yards off the line of scrimmage even I would run the draw or the screen. I'm thinking maybe stack the box and at the VERY LEAST just SHOW a blitz and then drop back into your coverage...ya know? Something!

BTW - when exactly did Richard Smith learn to coach defense? Was it when he was coaching tight ends and OL with the Oilers? :brickwall

kenneth24
09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
it's got to be a combination of both. How can we be so bad at 3rd down defense? Seems like everytime, an opposing receiver will go one yard past the first down marker and catch a pass. And today the Redskins were running for 8-9 yards on 3rd down to keep the drive alive. How the heck??! And when the opposing team does throw underneath where are the defensive personnel? Even on the screen passes there is nobody within 5 yards! :brickwall i am :embarrass for the defense

bckey
09-24-2006, 06:38 PM
It's Richard Smith. Our entire defense looks totally lost.

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 06:53 PM
We have the worst defensive line in the NFL.

We have the worst secondary in the NFL(maybe a tie with lions)

We have a rookie DC.

The results arent pretty.

edo783
09-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Based on how poorly the defense has played in three games, I have to put it on the coaching. Seems to be a scheme that puts our guys in the position of reacting and we all know how well that has worked. The thing that really bothers me is that it isn't a secret that it isn't going well and yet we still do the same thing, like no blitzing.

Wolf
09-24-2006, 07:01 PM
exactly EDO

I can't imagine a line of weaver,payne,TJ and Williams being that bad and even if you took williams out and put babin or peek.. how is our run defense so bad? I mean this history making bad

dat_boy_yec
09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
I gotta agree alot of the blame has to lie at the coach's feet. By the same token I gotta question our guys desire. I was in the stadium early and I was watching Weaver and Williams before the game. I dunno what to think, maybe you guys can tell me. I saw them walk over to where the field goal was and Weaver began practicing some moves against the goal post pads. Mario just stretched. He had on headphones so I dunno if he was scared he would knocked them off if he practiced with Weaver, but I don't really know what to make of what I saw. The other thing is our defense didn't look that lost last yr. so I gotta wonder if Smith isn't making things too complicated. Considering how vanilla we look out there I doubt it, but I just don't get how we can look so bad on D.

Bullpen Drew
09-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Holy cow can the defense TACLKE anyone????

Erratic Assassin
09-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I blame Charley Casserly and everyone who refused to hold him accountable because he's the "expert".

How many coaches will we have to go through before people realize we have no talent after 5 years of wasted draft picks?

How many of our starters would be starting for other teams? Would our safeties be starting? Would our running backs?

pittbull
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
COACHING. Football is not rokcet science. Of course, it takes some top of the line athletes to perform what the NFL does on Sunday afternoons, but it takes even more smarts in the X's and O's department. Football is a game of inches, and with no blitz schemes, no confusing strategies, nor inventive play calling, no team in the NFL could win. If the browns gave the Ravens all they can handle today, what about the TExans? What about the 49ers looking much better? Buffalo? New Orleans? Come on, it's an attitude and play calling. It's evident we have better athletes than some of the teams I even mentioned, but it's the same result as the past 3 years. The defense getting destroyed!

jerek
09-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Primarily coaching. We're not a Pro Bowl defense out there but it's primarily coaching. I don't mean to be mean but I hope Richard Smith is fired.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Primarily coaching. We're not a Pro Bowl defense out there but it's primarily coaching. I don't mean to be mean but I hope Richard Smith is fired.

Where was Rick Smith Today, anyway's at least Mcnair walked off the feild through the tunnel after the game today.....where is Rick hiding :hides:

Texans fans watching today's game :tvhorror:

Redskins fans watching today's game :tv:

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Got to be a combo of both. Lack of blitzing, Safties & corners playing 50 yds of the ball, thats all on Smith. But when they do get the opponents in 3rd & long they NEED to learn how to make a play. There is no excuse on this level for a team to be giving up almost 500 yds a game.

texaslifter
09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
We need to draft some winners. Not just top talent, and by position, but people who aren't okay with losing. People who have made a college career of winning, whatever it takes - regardless of stats.

utahmark
09-24-2006, 08:24 PM
just testing.

angeltexus
09-24-2006, 08:25 PM
We need to draft some winners. Not just top talent, and by position, but people who aren't okay with losing. People who have made a college career of winning, whatever it takes - regardless of stats.
Seth Payne is slow and always on the floor, he must go
Jason Babin is slow and always on the floor, he must go CC Brown plain and simple HE SUCKS and when Wong comes back please fire him too.

texaslifter
09-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Theres a good number of people who need to go. I'll agree we are talent poor, but we aren't this bad. IMO, its as much an attitude thingas much as anything else. We have Miami next week, maybe a first win?

kbourda
09-24-2006, 09:22 PM
I blame Charley Casserly and everyone who refused to hold him accountable because he's the "expert".

How many coaches will we have to go through before people realize we have no talent after 5 years of wasted draft picks?

How many of our starters would be starting for other teams? Would our safeties be starting? Would our running backs?

Bravo. It really just took me today to come to grips with that fact. Casserly has ruined this team before our very eyes and yet we still have people who refuse to see it.

As far as your question........ Dre, Dunta, Molds, DeMeco. Any others are a reach at best.

sleepwalker
09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
1000 yards in 2 games is unacceptable.

The *bend but don't break* defensive philosophy isnt working...If we are going to be this bad, we might as well man up and blitz with 9 in the box.

I remember when we used to blame this all on the 3-4, we were much better in those days with Sharper and Glenn who were *real* team leaders...We just don't have that leadership now and we will suffer until we do.

Our coodinator is doing a shady job calling plays...Other teams know it, you know it and everyone that has watched the past 3 games.