PDA

View Full Version : Change our defensive scheme?

Grid
09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Just a thought.. figured id run it up the flag pole and see who salutes :cowboy1:

So, I cant think of any witty way to say that Mario is green and raw.. so lets just make it clear that he is VERY green, and VERY raw.. and making VERY big mistakes out there.

Now, its only his 3rd game.. but to be honest I was expecting to see him get a little better each week as he started to catch on. I thought he looked better against the colts when we left him at DE..and expected the same improvement today against the Redskins. Obviously we didnt see it...just the opposite actually.. his every flaw seemed to be magnified and shown in all its HD glory.

This leads me to beleive that if we are gonna get a return on the pick, he needs some hardcore coaching. I mean.. we have got to see if he has the mental tools to be a playmaker on defense, cause lets face it...thats where hes lacking right now. No one questions his physical abilities.. its his bad decisions and lack of technique.

Normally id say "leave him out there, he will learn faster if he takes every snap".. but when your defense is giving up 500 yards a game, and letting offenses score on almost every drive.. you have to decide if you want to play your rookie, or if you want to try and win a game this season.

Personally, im thinking that if we dont win some games.. its gonna put this team in such a mental hole that we arent gonna get anywhere for the next decade. Already you can see us fall apart when things start going wrong.

Anyway..this post is already getting long and I havent even gotten to the point.

The question is, do need need to change our defense? Obviously the players out there are not getting the job done.. I dont see how they could possibly be any worse..so why dont we just scrap this whole fiasco and do something different?

Specifically.. lets put Babin and Peek on the ends. Lets change our scheme from whatever the heck it is now, and see if we cant get some pressure on the QB. Lets put freakin Jason Simmons and Glenn Earl in at OLB.. How bad could they be? Its not like anyone on the defense can tackle anyway, so i dont see thier size being all that big of an issue. Heh.. change something..anything.. can we just try and actually PRESSURE the QB? Maybe even put Buchanan in at the #2 CB or FS position and try and come up with a freaking turnover.

Anyway..the big thing I think is doing SOMETHING to fix our front 7.. cause they ARE the weakness of this team right now. Meco is the only guy out there making a difference.

HJam72
09-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I like it, especially the Buchannon for FS idea. That's what he pretty much is anyway--all speed and jump on the ball, but stupid about turning around and looking at it (when his bach is too it in the first place--CB) and he also sucks at tackling. Free Safety in the genes. Besides, he can't do any worse than what we've got now.

rmartin65
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I also like the Pbuc at FS idea. That would have Brown back to his natural spot, SS. It would also put arguably our most athletic D player on the field.

PeekingDuck
09-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Just a thought.. figured id run it up the flag pole and see who salutes :cowboy1:

Personally, im thinking that if we dont win some games.. its gonna put this team in such a mental hole that we arent gonna get anywhere for the next decade. Already you can see us fall apart when things start going wrong.

I agree about this point for sure. I'm no doctor, but it really looks as if our team has mailed it in for the season. Why do I say that? Just from watching the body language and lack of intensity (especially on the D side) from both units. They just seem to have consigned themselves to thinking "Oh, we're the Texans, forever doomed" etc. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I really think they've already stopped playing for each other/the team this season and are now just trying to get whatever indiviual stats they can accumulate to get a better contract upon release.

I could be wrong, but they really look like they're just collecting a paycheck.

-Peek

FirstTexansFan
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Maybe moving folks around and playing different guys would help, but seriously, when you allow a team to constantly make 3rd and 13yrds into first down plays, you maybe need to adjust the scheme, not the players. I would think after the half that adjustments would be made to get more pressure on the QB, even if it leaves folks bare naked in the secondary, you have a glimmer of hope if the opposing QB is maybe thrown off in his timing or something. I'm not expert, don't claim to be, but I just felt like the Defensive Coordinator was being hard headed. He had a game plan, and he intended to stick to it successful or not.

Malloy
09-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Try something, anything. All out pressure at the price of giving up big plays (hey we're doing that already). Test it, see if it works.... something... anything....

edo783
09-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I find it interesting that the ONE time we blitzed (was there more?) we caused a hurried incomplete pass and then never blitzed again. Go figure.

ledzeppelin229
09-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I find it interesting that the ONE time we blitzed (was there more?) we caused a hurried incomplete pass and then never blitzed again. Go figure.

Don't forget we also tried a long pass early on and quickly realized that got us much too close to the end zone for comfort. I mean the two yard line, 53 yards in a single play? I'm sure that play was relegated to the bathroom afterwards. Honestly, this team figures out something that goes right and never does it again. I can't even comprehend it except that the entire organization enjoys being ridiculed as losers.

kenneth24
09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
PBuc at safety? He does have that hard hitting ability! or maybe switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4
:sarcasm:

Grid
09-24-2006, 06:05 PM
PBuc at safety? He does have that hard hitting ability! or maybe switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4
:sarcasm:

Well the point is that we arent stopping anyone anyway...whats the harm in experimenting :P. Maybe Buchanan could get us a turnover or two.. finally get our defense off the field.

kenneth24
09-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Well the point is that we arent stopping anyone anyway...whats the harm in experimenting :P. Maybe Buchanan could get us a turnover or two.. finally get our defense off the field.

i totally agree with the whats the harm thinking. I would like to see us blitz Dunta a few times and let him try and get to the QB. He's got the speed and tenacity.
(hope this post is a little more substantial than my previous)

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
I like it, especially the Buchannon for FS idea. That's what he pretty much is anyway--all speed and jump on the ball, but stupid about turning around and looking at it (when his bach is too it in the first place--CB) and he also sucks at tackling. Free Safety in the genes. Besides, he can't do any worse than what we've got now.

What we really need is a fs who cant tackle errrr refuses to tackle. That will definately make our defense alot better :yikes:

Any credibility to someone who thinks this would be a good idea has been lost.

Grid
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
read the two posts above your Comstock

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
read the two posts above your Comstock

While we are experimenting, why not start the speedy aggressive mario williams at FS. At least he wouldnt get stood up every play, and it couldnt be any worse :brickwall

Two reasons why this is a stupid idea and it would be worse:

1. Buchanon has the IQ of a small turtle. By playing free safety, his brain would have to be used.

2. Buchanon hits like a 5 year old girl. Except the 5 year old girl might put effort into the tackle.