PDA

View Full Version : Where are all of the Mario supporters?

Barkley
09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Still confident that this guy will ever be able to play? He SUCKS along with the rest of this crapola team. At least if we had Bush or Vince we would have something to look forward to this season. Now we can look forward to the first or second pick in the 2007 draft....thats it. We may be competitive by 2008

sprtsfanatic
09-24-2006, 02:10 PM
we are wearing blind folds and hoping that some defensive cord can come in and teach this unit how to play

Honoring Earl 34
09-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Still confident that this guy will ever be able to play? He SUCKS along with the rest of this crapola team. At least if we had Bush or Vince we would have something to look forward to this season. Now we can look forward to the first or second pick in the 2007 draft....thats it. We may be competitive by 2008

Does Reggie play defense ?

kfranco_utexas
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
To make matters worse, his teammate who was selected by the 49ers, Manny Lawson, has 2 sacks. Mario has none.

Lawson also has 9 tackles. Mario has 4. Ouch!!!!! To give credit to Mario, he has 1 assist. Pathetic.
http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/426006

:homer:

The Dream
09-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Mario Williams IS a bust........this guy isn't even decent....it's been 3 games plus the preseason and he's sucked in all of them.......dude is just flat out bad.

Wolf
09-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Peterson will be more of a RB than Bush will be (baring injury on either guy)

MrMeToo
09-24-2006, 02:20 PM

Probably better than Mario Williams.

The Dream
09-24-2006, 02:21 PM
If there was a WNFL Mario Willams would be the first pick.....followed by Carr.

MrMeToo
09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
LOL.....I am officially going to start calling him Sorryo Williams

That is a more fitting nick name than Super Mario

The Dream
09-24-2006, 02:24 PM
LOL.........I like Sorryo

Wolf
09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
http://www.forum-schuldnerberatung.de/forumneu/images/icons/troll.gif

MrMeToo
09-24-2006, 02:30 PM

LMAO. Funniest thing I've heard today...

The Dream
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm just waiting to see Mario get called out by Chris Collins on NBC tonight like he has the past 2 weeks.

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm just waiting to see Mario get called out by Chris Collins on NBC tonight like he has the past 2 weeks.

Though he hasn't made & impact whatsoever, This whole defense is just bad & the D-coordinator is not helping matters. you can tell the kid is a rookie & he's thinking too much, but having said that NOONE is making a tackle. the 2 stop gap guys aren't collapsing the pocket & getting killed the linebackers are too tiny & can't see what's going on in the backfield & the secondary is just not instinctive.......................... Add to that dumb penalties.:bomb:

The Dream
09-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Okay for nicknames so far we have

1. Sorryo
2. Sam Bowie

Any others?

and I agree our entire defense looks really bad, but Williams lack of skill is too obvious to ignore.

hot pickle
09-24-2006, 02:58 PM
i still am a supporter of mario williams, we could have drafted a real bad player at #1 and i will still support him and everyone on the team, and yall will come back to this thread next season, and say what was i thinkin, mario is the best

so yall need to stop *****in about everything, and just wait for it

Magnahorn
09-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Mario Williams is a joke. Number one overall draft choice? This is a monumental mistake.

We could have had Derrick Johnson last year; we traded down and took Travis Johnson. Another bust.

We wasted a first round draft choice on Jason Babin. Another bust.

Our defensive line is an entire unit of draft mistakes.

We should change colors next year to Maroon and white and change the name to Houston Aggies!

Porky
09-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Suckio? :brickwall

TexansLucky13
09-24-2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.forum-schuldnerberatung.de/forumneu/images/icons/troll.gif

Agreed.

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Agreed.

Hmm..........yeah. Seems a bit childish to call Mario "Sorryo". Is the play on words supposed to impress anyone?

Napa Auto Parts
09-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Okay for nicknames so far we have

1. Sorryo
2. Sam Bowie

Any others?

and I agree our entire defense looks really bad, but Williams lack of skill is too obvious to ignore.

Sorryo thats kind of a compliment to how he has been playing sorry would be a compliment. but he still is a rookie so its still early

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Nah...its actually supposed to be humerous becuase as a player, the guy is SORRY. He flat out cannot play. We wasted the first overall pick on this guy last year

heh.....SUPPOSED to be humourous? For little kids, sure.

As a MW supporter, I will agree that MW did not perform great at all. But to call him "Sorryo", just doesn't work for me. If I know a player sucks, I say his actual name, and not some lame nickname made up for him.

Magnahorn
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
If we are looking for a nickname for Mario, I suggest:

The Mirage!

–noun
1. an optical phenomenon, esp. in the desert or at sea, by which the image of some object appears displaced above, below, or to one side of its true position as a result of spatial variations of the index of refraction of air.
2. something illusory, without substance or reality.
3. (initial capital letter) Military. any of a series of supersonic, delta-wing, multirole French fighter-bombers.
[Origin: 1795–1805; < F, equiv. to (se) mir(er) to look at (oneself), be reflected (< L mīrārī to wonder at) + -age -age]

—Synonyms 2. illusion, phantom, fancy.

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:19 PM
How bout Suckio or Bustio?

Umm......those are just lame nicknames.

*But Mario's been lame too, LOL*

Can't we just show some maturity and call players by their real names?

kfranco_utexas
09-24-2006, 03:24 PM
It's amazing how many people have their battle red glasses on. I love the Texans but Im honest, WE SUCK.:francis:

Divebomb
09-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I cant hate on Mario, but I am getting the feeling that as a number one overall pick we made a mistake. We could go with Travis Johnson and Seth Payne at the DT. We keep R. Smith and let Babin and Weaver play DE and we would have just as much production. At least with Vince or Regie we have bigplay ability on offense. We are very young at every position!

Txn_in_Oki
09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
A name calling thread!?!?

I used to be good at this... hold on... okay I got one...

How about DoucheMagnahorn?

Eh... not one of my best but it'll do.

:ok:

gafftop
09-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Need to place blame where it belongs. Mario is Mario. We knew what he was from college. First he was benched because he was lazy. Coach sat him down and said play good and you will be a rich man. Well now he is rich and there is no way to motivate a lazy man. Second he has no real feel for the game. He was not even the best player on the defensive team in college. Third he has no real love for the game. He said he would quit football. Played up as feel good story. Said to me he has no real love of the game.
This is Mario. The blame goes to the brain trust that drafted him. Kubiak and Company.

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:27 PM
If we are looking for a nickname for Mario, I suggest:

The Mirage!

–noun
1. an optical phenomenon, esp. in the desert or at sea, by which the image of some object appears displaced above, below, or to one side of its true position as a result of spatial variations of the index of refraction of air.
2. something illusory, without substance or reality.
3. (initial capital letter) Military. any of a series of supersonic, delta-wing, multirole French fighter-bombers.
[Origin: 1795–1805; < F, equiv. to (se) mir(er) to look at (oneself), be reflected (< L mīrārī to wonder at) + -age -age]

—Synonyms 2. illusion, phantom, fancy.

Mario, the supersonic, delta-wing, multirole French fighter-bomber?

kfranco_utexas
09-24-2006, 03:27 PM
That is pretty creative MagnaHorn!! I needed a good laugh.

bigtex77
09-24-2006, 03:28 PM
LOL.....I am officially going to start calling him Sorryo Williams
That must have taken a long time to come up with, very mature.

Grid
09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Im soarly disappointed in Mario right now. But he isnt a bust. And he really REALLY doesnt deserve any lame nicknames from the part time fans here.

He is incredibly raw.. and thats worrysome because when a player is that green, you dont know if they will ever reach an NFL playing level, mentally.

Mario is a two year project, based on what I saw today. And as such, we really need more help on the defensive line.

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Now THAT is clever

Better than what you've come up with, and I wasn't even trying.

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Dude...you should learn how to take a compliment and not be so smug

I received a compliment from you, because I was mocking you. That's funny.

Wolf
09-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I dont' get into the nickname thing.. I think we forget that friends and family members and who knows maybe the Texan players/staff read on hear from time to time..

HomeBred_Texan
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Peterson will be more of a RB than Bush will be (baring injury on either guy)

This I agree on without a question...

Until we get a running game and keep the d off the field, we will always look like this. Sorry, but that is my opinion...

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
It sounded like a pretty clever nickname to me.....

Didn't deem liike mocking to me, but if that was your purpose.....

Great job! You are SO SMART

Says the guy who thought of "Sorryo". You're a REAL GENIUS.

Wolf
09-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I hope they do.......This team is an absolute distaster and everyone associated with the organization should be ashamed

You think the players/coaching/mgmt of this organization aren't scratching their heads? You think Kubiak and staff are happy with this?

BattleRedRaider
09-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't know.....I've had several compliments on the nickname. You are the only one who has told me directly that they didn't think it was funny.

Because the only other people who talk to you directly are MW haters like yourself?

Trap_Star
09-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Mario needs to dominate like the other Super Mario would a clogged toilet...

Texan1
09-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Im soarly disappointed in Mario right now. But he isnt a bust. And he really REALLY doesnt deserve any lame nicknames from the part time fans here.

He is incredibly raw.. and thats worrysome because when a player is that green, you dont know if they will ever reach an NFL playing level, mentally.

Mario is a two year project, based on what I saw today. And as such, we really need more help on the defensive line.

I don't like the name calling either - but Sorryio pretty much hits the nail on the head. I was at the game and watched him - dude has NO game. Don't know what this staff fell in love eith on this guys - but hope they can get it out of him soon.

Vinny
09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't like the name calling either - but Sorryio pretty much hits the nail on the head. I was at the game and watched him - dude has NO game. Don't know what this staff fell in love eith on this guys - but hope they can get it out of him soon.
They love him in shorts, working out, looking good. They fell in love with his measurables and his workout. 10.5 of his sacks last year came from 3 chump opponents.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
They love him in shorts, working out, looking good. They fell in love with his measurables and his workout. 10.5 of his sacks last year came from 3 chump opponents.

He is very young. Give him some damn time. Again where are his supporters? Can't make a defense by yourself.

Wolf
09-24-2006, 03:51 PM
I am hoping Mario comes around and I supported the decision of getting him..

with that said, I don't know what is going on with the whole D-line.

TJ,Payne/Weaver/Williams... can't recall hearing ANY of their names

or ANY of them doing something special

Texan1
09-24-2006, 03:51 PM
He is very young. Give him some damn time. Again where are his supporters? Can't make a defense by yourself.

Yeah, out 255 payers drafted - he was #1. We'll have to give him time.

Texan1
09-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I am hoping Mario comes around and I supported the decision of getting him..

with that said, I don't know what is going on with the whole D-line.

TJ,Payne/Weaver/Williams... can't recall hearing ANY of their names

or ANY of them doing something special

Good point. I was mainly watching Mario.

Texans Pride
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I hope they do.......This team is an absolute distaster and everyone associated with the organization should be ashamed

Then you should be ashamed, because you are posting on a Houston Texans message board. . . I'd say you are associated with the organization. . .

Food for thought

Texans Pride
09-24-2006, 04:02 PM
I am ashamed

I don't know why, but I laughed when I read this, but thanks Barkley, I needed that after this game.

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 04:09 PM

Finally someone with some sense. In case you guys aren't watching, there are supossed to be 10 other players on the defense with him & only 1 of them i'm sure of off the top of my head has the built in excuse that he's a rookie. Don't worry, though people will see how bad reggie bush looks against a functional Defense.

Vinny
09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Finally someone with some sense. In case you guys aren't watching, there are supossed to be 10 other players on the defense with him & only 1 of them i'm sure of off the top of my head has the built in excuse that he's a rookie. Don't worry, though people will see how bad reggie bush looks against a functional Defense.top 3 picks are supposed to be pro bowl caliber players....we are paying 50 mil for that in a cap league....if he flashed at least a QB hurry we wouldn't be so crapped out...but after watching him play in 7 games including preseason he has looked like an undrafted FA.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 04:16 PM
top 3 picks are supposed to be pro bowl caliber players....we are paying 50 mil for that in a cap league....if he flashed at least a QB hurry we wouldn't be so crapped out...but after watching him play in 7 games including preseason he has looked like an undrafted FA.

Not everyone can be productive right off the bat.

Vinny
09-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Not everyone can be productive right off the bat.

This isn't baseball. Every game means more in the NFL...we dont have 150+ game seasons. This is a 'win now' league....you keep waiting till 2008. Right now we are awful...and so is Mario.

Grid
09-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I actually have no issue with Mario right now.. hes a rookie. No he isnt living up to the #1 overall hype.. but I still think he could be turned into a solid Dlineman..and has the potential to be a star.

My issue is that we are playing him despite the fact that we have NO ONE taking up his slack. Letting a rookie play and make mistakes to speed up his learning is fine.. but we CANT go 2-14..or worse..again. We need to do something on defense, and that might involve benching Williams.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 04:21 PM
This isn't baseball. Every game means more in the NFL...we dont have 150+ game seasons.

What if he is a Pro-Bowl caliber player, he just doesnt develop into one until his second or third year. Maybe he just needs to mature more. I'd say that it was good for us to pick up a defensive player that can help us in the future because as of now the defense sucks HORRIBLY. When we get some more players around him, he will show is Pro-Bowl side.

Vinny
09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
What if he is a Pro-Bowl caliber player, he just doesnt develop into one until his second or third year. Maybe he just needs to mature more. I'd say that it was good for us to pick up a defensive player that can help us in the future because as of now the defense sucks HORRIBLY. When we get some more players around him, he will show is Pro-Bowl side.

Superstars make other players better. It isn't supposed to work the other way around.

Superdome
09-24-2006, 04:25 PM
I posted this on another thread but thought more of you would see it here...

Admittedly I am a Saints fan who now lives in Houston, but I try to be fair. I just feel for Mario. It was not his fault that he was picked first.

The Texans decided to give Carr the bonus so that kind of ruled out drafting Vince. Everyone then kinda of sighed and said, "OK, at least if we can't get the hometown hero, we will get Reggie, everyone says he is the type of back with a skill set that doesn't come around very often (I'm sure you heard all the pre-draft comparisons to Sayers, Sanders, Faulk, etc.) Then came that Friday before the Draft. I was sitting in line at Pappas BBQ listening to the radio when they came on and said, "We're NOT kidding...the Texans are going to sign Mario Williams tonight and make him the first pick in the draft tomorrow. <silence>

I quickly went home and checked online Mario's college stats...which on the surface looked impressive, but as the refs say, "upon further review..." most of those stats came against only a few team, the weaker ones, and in most of the other games he just seemed to disappear from the stats.

I was very happy to have Reggie fall in our laps...but I've worked very closely with NFL players for many years and I just felt sorry for Mario. He would never be able to live up to his draft status. I don't know the kid execept what I see on TV and read about in the HChron...He seems like a good kid. I suspect he may not be the "high motor" kind of player; I know what that is like - we drafted Jonathan Sullivan (& trading 2 #1s for that choice.)

Guys, I've supported a team for many years that has not had a great deal of success...but the team is back in the SuperDome Monday night and even thought this is the first year with the Saints playing in NOLA that I won't "be in that number" I am so glad they are back...WIN OR LOSE! Y'all lost the Oilers so you know what I mean.

Best of luck the rest of the season...and just think of Mario as just another rookie and be glad you found a starter in the draft.

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 04:27 PM

After 5 years of nothing but losing, what bandwagon fans are left? I would think the part time fans are already gone.

Texan Ned
09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Hmm..........yeah. Seems a bit childish to call Mario "Sorryo". Is the play on words supposed to impress anyone?

I thought it was quite creative, especially when the number 1 overall was held out of about half of the defensive snaps.

Grid
09-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks Superdome.. thats a great post.

Despite the struggles of Mario so far.. I still think he could be a great player given time. Of course, by the time he gets the chance to develop, most everyone will have already labeled him a bust.

Either way.. I still dont think Bush was the best pick for us.. not for the team we are trying to build. Bush isnt a one cut back.. and I dont think Kubiak wanted to run the kind of offense that Bush would shine in. Kubiak wanted his offense, and Bush didnt fit it.

Glad the Saints got him though, yall needed that media boost.. and the excitment that Reggie brings.

I hope Mario will turn into the pick we were expecting him to be..eventually.

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 04:31 PM

Players that are picked first overall are supposed to make immediate impacts unless they are qbs.

The Pencil Neck
09-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Personally, I don't expect any rookie to make an immediate impact regardless of where he's picked. While I would have liked to have some production out of MW, I'm not going to consider him a complete bust, yet. Our defense sucks.

Obviously, Kubiak knew coming into this season that our Defense was what needed the most work and drafted accordingly. He was right. And it still needs the most work. And Mario is included in that. And so is Demeco.

bayshorebevo
09-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Williams had 2 tackles and 1 assist. If that is not superstar stats, then what is? This just in --- that was the worst draft choice since Sam Bowie. It is not his fault, he just fell into a bucket of money.

blockhead83
09-24-2006, 05:25 PM
I did see Mario's first sack today..... but too bad Samuels was all over holding him with both hands from behind; atleast it got flagged this time. Mario is really not cutting it guys, which sucks because I really believed that he could, and I still believe he can eventually be a great player. It's just when you use the 1st pick in the draft you don't want to get a "wait and see" player, you want someone who will show you right away that they atleast have it in them to be a super star. Our whole defense is pathetic, but what was supposed to be the best elligible player in all of college football last year is invisible right now.

As far as the Sam Bowie talk goes, it's fine to say he sucks, but don't compare him with Sam Bowie yet as it's just not logical. If he goes on to have a crappy to average career, fine, bust. But you need two parts to this equation. For Mario to be a real "Sam Bowie", he has to bust and Reggie needs to have a Michael Jordan type career. He's looked decent so far, but not Jordanesque by any means. If you can look back 10 years from now and Mario is still living off his rookie contract while Reggie is polishing 3 or 4 super bowl rings, then you can call him Sam Bowie.

Tulip
09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
OK, so let me see if I can understand this.

David Carr deserves a 63rd or 64th chance in his fifth season because we "haven't seen what he can do if given the chance" - yet Mario Williams is a bust after 3 games?

Whatever.

LoneStarState
09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Demeco Ryans is the one playing like the #1 overall draft pick. Mario is playing like Mr. Irrelevant.

kenneth24
09-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Finally someone with some sense. In case you guys aren't watching, there are supossed to be 10 other players on the defense with him & only 1 of them i'm sure of off the top of my head has the built in excuse that he's a rookie. Don't worry, though people will see how bad reggie bush looks against a functional Defense.

Fine he's a rookie but at least show a flash of something. DeMeco is a rookie too but at least he shows up for a couple of plays a game. DeMeco makes rookie mistakes but Mario is just getting beat.

LoneStarState
09-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Mario is just getting beat.
Manhandled by Tight Ends no less...

kenneth24
09-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Manhandled by Tight Ends no less...

you mean those guys half his size?!?:embarrass

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I'd say by the end of this season we will see why we picked him. It just may take some games for him to get comfortable.

P.S. In the game today, Mario played very well in the beginning of the first quarter. Him and DeMeco both were playing very well in the beginning of the first quarter. The first few stops is what you want to see out of these two first picks. But our coverage started breaking down and the whole team lost composure. He, as well as the team, need to learn how to play full games.

texflex513
09-24-2006, 05:53 PM
I'd say by the end of this season we will see why we picked him. It just may take some games for him to get comfortable.

P.S. In the game today, Mario played very well in the beginning of the first quarter. Him and DeMeco both were playing very well in the beginning of the first quarter. The first few stops is what you want to see out of these two first picks. But our coverage started breaking down and the whole team lost composure. He, as well as the team, need to learn how to play full games. I agree totally!

kenneth24
09-24-2006, 05:57 PM
In the game today, Mario played very well in the beginning of the first quarter. Him and DeMeco both were playing very well in the beginning of the first quarter. The first few stops is what you want to see out of these two first picks.

you mean the 3 plays to start game when we actually stopped them.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 06:03 PM
you mean the 3 plays to start game when we actually stopped them.

I am talking about the first quarter those two players were playing well, the rest of the defense I am not talking about. As a team we need more pressure on the QB period. Weaver doesn't seem to provide any sacks, we may want to sub him and Babin.

thunderkyss
09-24-2006, 06:20 PM
A big problem, I think is that we went back to swaping players on every down. While not as bad as moving Mario to tackle every other play, putting linemen in & out that frequently makes it hard on any of them to "look" productive.

I thought Mario was going to have a great game today, and it started out looking that way. then the bottom fell out.

Washington started at us with those screens. We've got to find a way to turn a short pass into a short gain.... or an incompletion.

Another thing. It looks like we're running our Ends at the QB on every down, and expecting the rest of the guys to stop the run. Even on plays where we expect a run, we're sending our ends to the QB.

ON run downs, our ends especially need to zero in on the RB.... hit him, if he doesn't have the ball, go get the QB.

Again....... we lost our 3rd game..... I'm thinking I might have to change my 13-3 prediction.......

maybe.

LBC_Justin
09-24-2006, 06:36 PM
mario was not picked to be a super star this year. If he does come around great, but the bottomline is picking him with the #1 was a LONG TERM investment.

Is he a bust?
Ask me in 4 - 5 years, because that is when we will know.

Am I a Mario support? You bet your butt I am, in fact I am a supporter of any player wearing our uniform. That is what a fan does!! We root for our team and players.

Go Texans.

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Fine he's a rookie but at least show a flash of something. DeMeco is a rookie too but at least he shows up for a couple of plays a game. DeMeco makes rookie mistakes but Mario is just getting beat.

you guys are making it seem as if Mario is not doing his job. If you watched the game the Redskins rarely passed over 10 yds Most of their damage was done underneath and on the ground, up the middle no less. How is a guy supossed to do anything if its 3 step drops & ball out.:brickwall The redskins played Gibbs ball all day and the middle of that line was getting killed. Yeah payne & Demeco made a couple of plays, but were largely overmatched the entire game. Again, Mario didn't play great but he did get a couple of QB pressures when the opportunities presented. Pressure on the edges only works if the pocket is collapsed from the middle & the QB has no where to run but outside. You saw it in Indy/philly where Those guys on the edges were getting up the field & The QB's simply stepped up & made the throw. The point i'm trying to make is that the D period is not on the same page. the Secondary nor LB core are anticipating where the ball is going to go & Zones thrive off of that. I also think Smith isn't blitzing enough to keep the QB off balance.

pittbull
09-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Still here!

exclude
09-24-2006, 07:42 PM

This is easy...

Does Mario???

Porky
09-24-2006, 07:42 PM
There is absoutely zero doubt in my mind that Mario is a bust. None. Give him 3-4 years? Williams will be back to working at Subway by that time, because that's all he is good for. The opposing QB could eat a sandwich before Mario beats a 240 TE. He's worthless as a football player, but he is a fine human being, I will grant him that. :fireball:

Bullpen Drew
09-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Yep what has he done??

I am the laughing stock on my block!

Porky
09-24-2006, 07:55 PM
:neener: That's ok Porky we won't make you eat crow when he isn't a bust in 3-4 yrs. We'll let you eat Pork, maybe even from Subway.

You have no idea how much I hope I am wrong. It's a deal. If he makes a pro-bowl in his NFL career, even one, I will go to Subway and order Pork (which is like a form of cannabilism for me)

Napa Auto Parts
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
This is easy...

Does Mario???

Low Blow

RTP2110
09-24-2006, 07:58 PM
I know it's not fair/right/senesible/whatever to call a rookie a bust after 3 games, but Mario sure makes it hard not to. I mean come on, I saw him unable to shed a block from the FB on one of the skins TD. I couldnt belive it, he really couldn't shed the FB, unbelieveable.

TexansJunkE
09-24-2006, 08:32 PM
I still believe Mario will be a star in the league. and to all those opposed....:cowboy1:

texaslifter
09-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Mario doesn't deserve any of this. ITS HIS THIRD GAME.

LoneStarState
09-24-2006, 08:40 PM
it may be his 3rd game, but there are over $50 million reasons why he deserves this criticism.

Texan Ned
09-24-2006, 08:43 PM
you guys are making it seem as if Mario is not doing his job. If you watched the game the Redskins rarely passed over 10 yds Most of their damage was done underneath and on the ground, up the middle no less. How is a guy supossed to do anything if its 3 step drops & ball out.:brickwall The redskins played Gibbs ball all day and the middle of that line was getting killed.

The Cowboys sure figured out how to get to Brunell and they ran the same offense last week. Quit making excuses for the texans, defense and Williams, they just got the hell beat out of them...again.

Bobo
09-24-2006, 09:11 PM

Kubiak's to blame. Not Mario. Mario's just a rookie who has a lot to learn. Kubiak is a head coach who is screwing up this team for years to come with his nepotistic hirings and his lack of coaching experience. Mario will be fine. It's Kubiak who needs to go.

joetexan
09-24-2006, 09:23 PM
I think that if Mario Williams was not the No. 1 pick overall, and was just some undrafted free agent, he would not have a job in this league right now. Or at least, he would not be playing very much, and he certainly would not be starting. He's got a longer leash because he's got a bigger paycheck.

He's got bust written all over him. And, it's not about "potential" when the guy doesn't even show any single sign whatsoever of being dominant in this league. You take someone No. 1 overall, you expect a certain level of production. Mario has averaged a whopping two tackles a game, and hasn't shown much of anything at all to dispel the notion that he is a bust and that the Texans made a colossally stupid mistake - one that will identify this franchise for the foreseeable future.

Magnahorn
09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I think that if Mario Williams was not the No. 1 pick overall, and was just some undrafted free agent, he would not have a job in this league right now. Or at least, he would not be playing very much, and he certainly would not be starting. He's got a longer leash because he's got a bigger paycheck.

He's got bust written all over him. And, it's not about "potential" when the guy doesn't even show any single sign whatsoever of being dominant in this league. You take someone No. 1 overall, you expect a certain level of production. Mario has averaged a whopping two tackles a game, and hasn't shown much of anything at all to dispel the notion that he is a bust and that the Texans made a colossally stupid mistake - one that will identify this franchise for the foreseeable future.

What he said!

kbourda
09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorryo Williams

Love it! Let's make it offical, like a referee with a whistle!

kbourda
09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I know it's not fair/right/senesible/whatever to call a rookie a bust after 3 games, but Mario sure makes it hard not to. I mean come on, I saw him unable to shed a block from the FB on one of the skins TD. I couldnt belive it, he really couldn't shed the FB, unbelieveable.

I think this is what everyone is refering to. I'm not ready to call him a bust (yet) but he does need to have better showings.

profan
09-24-2006, 10:12 PM
While, i will not give up on mario, i am getting really ticked at his lack of production with each outing. I would imagine mr. mcnair is not very happy considering he's the one who's paying him. No impact at all. Our lower draft picks are having a stronger impact on this team than the #1. I was supporting him and will continue, but the product is not good and this does not look like a good draft pick.

Goldeagle
09-24-2006, 10:12 PM

Here comes Adrian peterson!

Gonzo
09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Bah, I'll wait till the end of the season before passing judgement on Mario. :hides:

edo783
09-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Still here and will reserve judgement until at least the end of the season and more likely not til the end of the 07 season. Am I thrilled in his production...of course not, but he is a rookie (the youngest in the league) and he plays the thoughest spot on the D-line with a target on him. Will he be a good player, IMO yes. Will he be a multi-ProBowler....TBD.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Bah, I'll wait till the end of the season before passing judgement on Mario. :hides:

Lots of stuff in this thread, here is some more.

Guess who is another quiet DE whose commitment to football was questioned, played running back in high school along with DE, was said to take plays off and get fat stats against chump opponents in college? He was fortunate in the NFL to play for a great defensive minded coach.

Almost 500 yards allowed puts the blame on pretty much the whole defense.

Scape! Goating! Is! Fun! :redtowel:

Scooter
09-24-2006, 10:49 PM
rookie defensive end. 3 games into the season. terrible defense around him. zero blitzing.

are you guys serious? mario shouldnt even be evaluated until ATLEAST half way through the season, if during this season at all. we did NOT draft a very raw 21 year old defensive end to average 3 sacks a game in his first year. we drafted mario as a cornerstone to build a defense around and it's not something that's going to happen overnight. i know we suck, but we're a 2-14 team that had to go into rebuilding with an entirely new staff and more than half of a new team. breathe.

underdog65
09-24-2006, 10:50 PM
The defense is completely lost. No leadership, no direction and no drive. I understand the rookie thing and switching to a different defensive scheme but that does not account for the lack of effort or lack of leadership. Hope Wong can help with the leadership issue and maybe by mid season, our defense will only give up 300 yards a game. Offense shows signs of hope and progression.

Vinny
09-24-2006, 10:52 PM
rookie defensive end. 3 games into the season. terrible defense around him. zero blitzing.

are you guys serious? mario shouldnt even be evaluated until ATLEAST half way through the season, if during this season at all. we did NOT draft a very raw 21 year old defensive end to average 3 sacks a game in his first year. we drafted mario as a cornerstone to build a defense around and it's not something that's going to happen overnight. i know we suck, but we're a 2-14 team that had to go into rebuilding with an entirely new staff and more than half of a new team. breathe.all players are only worth what they show on film. Right now it's fair to say he is not very good. Potential is something for tomorrow...and we can't do anything but remark on today.

Kaiser Toro
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Mario lost this game before it started. He sent the Redskins our playbook, did not tape anyone's ankles, forgot to wash the jocks, forgot to pick up Toro on the way to the game, ran along side Betts and Portis clearing the way for them in all their yardage, yelled boo every time Carr went back to pass, spit in Porky's beer, made three fans start "I am a fan thread," made two members start a poll for the first time and made Bush and VY both happy that they did not drafted by the lowly Texans. We stink and the way we stink is to great for one man.

This thread reminds me of the scene from the Holy Grail where they want to burn the witch. Somewhere along here someone is going to say Mario turned them into a Newt.

Scooter
09-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Somewhere along here someone is going to say Mario turned them into a Newt.

well ... i got better

hadaad
09-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Man, I'm glad I didn't sit through six pages of this.

My thoughts on "Mario Supporters".

Mario is a member of the Houston Texans.

I support the Houston Texans.

I support Mario Williams. It's that easy.

Do I think he was worth the hype that was generated after he was drafted? No. But I don't think any #1 has come in and been worth the hype after three games. At least, not since ESPN.

Still, I have faith in Kubiak, and I have faith in the talent-evaluators on this team. They will sit him down if he doesn't have what it takes, and since they haven't sat him down yet, I'm not ready to pull the plug on him.

I think it's absolutely silly not to support someone just because they're not playing as well as you would like. That sounds like something one of these ESPN guys would do. "You see, I was right when I said the Houston Texans shouldn't take Mario Williams. It is good to be right." Except you're not getting paid to be right, you're following a football team for the joy of it.

I'm not saying don't talk bad about a guy if he's not playing well. These guys get paid an awful lot of money so that you have the right to trash them when they suck. And our defense sucks. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to support them. When they're down is the time to support them. Or at least that's what I think. So, even though Clinton Portis ran for 30 yards for a touchdown with one second left on the clock at halftime and I wanted to throw my laptop out the window, I'll be back next week and support the Texans, just like I do every week, even if I don't like their chances. Even if I don't like what the defense has done. Even if I don't think Mario Williams was worth the #1 overall pick. That's offseason talk, and the team we're talking about now is playing real games, and is what we have to go with through the season.

GO TEXANS!

Koolbrz
09-24-2006, 11:13 PM
What a wasted pick

Hey dude!! He was signed before training camp opened and thats all that matters. LMAO!! Maybe we will do the same thing with this yrs top 5 pick.

Koolbrz
09-24-2006, 11:17 PM

It is his 3rd game. His teammate from NC state already has 9 tackles and 2 sacks with the 49ers. Whats Up With That!!!

texan279
09-25-2006, 08:09 AM
It is his 3rd game. His teammate from NC state already has 9 tackles and 2 sacks with the 49ers. Whats Up With That!!!

His teammate is playing OLB in a 3-4 and Mario is playing DE in a 4-3.

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 08:18 AM

His team mate is also playing on a team where 2 of the other 4 players on the defensive front have about 9 tackles and 2 sacks apiece..... 3-4, with a 5 man front, 3 out of the 5 have 9 tackles & 2 sacks. As a team, they have over 10 sacks.

Mario is playing a 4-3, where none of the other starters have a sack..... unless you count the one where McNabb slid before the LOS, & Weaver fell on him.

Mario will make things open up for our guys, like he did for Manny Lawson. Just like Bryant Young is opening things for Manny now. Manny is the final piece of that Defensive Force, Mario is our cornerstone.

Mr teX
09-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Man, I'm glad I didn't sit through six pages of this.

My thoughts on "Mario Supporters".

Mario is a member of the Houston Texans.

I support the Houston Texans.

I support Mario Williams. It's that easy.

Do I think he was worth the hype that was generated after he was drafted? No. But I don't think any #1 has come in and been worth the hype after three games. At least, not since ESPN.

Still, I have faith in Kubiak, and I have faith in the talent-evaluators on this team. They will sit him down if he doesn't have what it takes, and since they haven't sat him down yet, I'm not ready to pull the plug on him.

I think it's absolutely silly not to support someone just because they're not playing as well as you would like. That sounds like something one of these ESPN guys would do. "You see, I was right when I said the Houston Texans shouldn't take Mario Williams. It is good to be right." Except you're not getting paid to be right, you're following a football team for the joy of it.

I'm not saying don't talk bad about a guy if he's not playing well. These guys get paid an awful lot of money so that you have the right to trash them when they suck. And our defense sucks. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to support them. When they're down is the time to support them. Or at least that's what I think. So, even though Clinton Portis ran for 30 yards for a touchdown with one second left on the clock at halftime and I wanted to throw my laptop out the window, I'll be back next week and support the Texans, just like I do every week, even if I don't like their chances. Even if I don't like what the defense has done. Even if I don't think Mario Williams was worth the #1 overall pick. That's offseason talk, and the team we're talking about now is playing real games, and is what we have to go with through the season.

GO TEXANS!

Amen :ok:

Hulk75
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Right now I have been backing this guy since he got here. I AM NOT giving up on him AT ALL.

But from my experience at his possition he is scarying me right now.

Marcus
09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Again....... we lost our 3rd game..... I'm thinking I might have to change my 13-3 prediction.......

maybe.

:woot2 Ha! My vote for the most comical post of the entire thread. I guess you think you're like one of those hurricane forecasters who changes his prediction every week.:)

How bout making a prediction and sticking to it.

TERROR DOME
09-25-2006, 11:27 AM

This is not what they told us when they drafted him. If I am not Mistaken Bob Mcnair said that Mario Williams could make the same impact on defense that Reggie Bush could make on offense. Sorry I have'nt seen it. There is no way a guy with his size and speed should get man handle by a full back or a tight end alone, no way Rookie or not. Somethings should not have to be taught mostly with a guy you draft number 1. I have not seen any instinct plays from Mario, just something that says this kid is going to be awesome in a few years. I have seen nothing.

Mr. White
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't know.....I've had several compliments on the nickname. You are the only one who has told me directly that they didn't think it was funny.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=438429&postcount=263

What's funny is that you're trying to take credit for something that somebody else came up with a week ago. This is lame.

Porky
09-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Somewhere along here someone is going to say Mario turned them into a Newt.

Mario turned me into a Newt -

http://www.doublespeakshow.com/images/2006/04/gingrich_newt.jpg

Vinny
09-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Mario will make things open up for our guys, like he did for Manny Lawson. Just like Bryant Young is opening things for Manny now. Manny is the final piece of that Defensive Force, Mario is our cornerstone.LOL, I think you have that backwards. Lawson was voted team MVP- BY HIS TEAMMATES! Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

Superstars open the game up for lesser players...not the other way around....unless you are a Houston fan I guess.

BigDTexansFan
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Nope, but we might have something to look forward to on offense. The great Mario has made NO IMPACT on this team whatsoever

you must be Adam Schether's twin brother, he seems to think Mario doesn't make an impact (despite a number of knowledgable mnedia people saying otherwise) yet Adam and you both claim just because RB squats and takes a dump (6 carries for 5 yards) He is the reason Saints and any team are great....BECAUSE HE IS ON THE FIELD:crutch:

Blake
09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
If I am not Mistaken Bob Mcnair said that Mario Williams could make the same impact on defense that Reggie Bush could make on offense. Sorry I have'nt seen it.

I want to see this quote, because I think you are bull****ting us. This sounds like something you pulled out of your arse.

Blake
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

Ok we get it. You dont like players rising from combine results. But then why do they have them if they are so useless?

I still think Mario has the potential to become a sack artist, but we must put him in a position to succeed. IE blitz a linebacker or 2, overload one side. I Richard Smith or whomever is calling the shots on defense needs to stop this zone, non blitz approach.

real
09-25-2006, 12:29 PM
LOL, I think you have that backwards. Lawson was voted team MVP- BY HIS TEAMMATES! Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

Superstars open the game up for lesser players...not the other way around....unless you are a Houston fan I guess.

Honestly....At this point I think it's fair to say that Mario wasn't worth the #1 pick...Mario may have been the better choice for us as a team..as far as what we wanted to accomplish...But He wasn't the best player on the board...I think that is painfully obvious...

Im not saying Mario can't become a beast...But he needs a lot of work...Im not going to go back and watch any film on Mario, and I'm going to start going with my first instinct....He sucks...that is a fact....When I go back and watch film I can see all of the positives...all the reasons the Texans drafted him...I see him manhandling some OL...I see his str8 line speed...I see hints of his athleticism...But What I don't see are plays being made, and that is what counts....

And I keep hearing all these things about how he is going to make everyone around him better...I doubt it....He can't make anyone better if he isn't good himself.....We can sit here and argue potential and capabilities untill we're blue in the face...:hides: .......But One thing that can't be disputed is...that as of right now...Mario is not good...I wouldn't go so far as to call him terrible...but He is clearly not performing close to the standard that is expected out of a #1 pick....Now I wasn't foolish enough to expect Reggie White and Bruce Smith rolled into one out of this guy...But I was expecting a FOOTBALL PLAYER....I hate to say it...but Mario is looking like a bust...and not the kind in Canton...

P.S: IMO, Mario Would be a better 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE...He isn't quick enough to make plays out there by himself....

Vinny
09-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Ok we get it. You dont like players rising from combine results. But then why do they have them if they are so useless?

I still think Mario has the potential to become a sack artist, but we must put him in a position to succeed. IE blitz a linebacker or 2, overload one side. I Richard Smith or whomever is calling the shots on defense needs to stop this zone, non blitz approach.to correlate what you see on game film. 10.5 of Mario's sacks last year came from 3 chump teams against players who will never sniff the NFL. Mario was never nominted for any of the top lineman awards Nationally...he wasn't even voted team MVP last year. Manny Lawson has more tackles than Mario and 2 sacks so far in San Francisco...and their defense was worse than ours was last year. We have what is known as a "workout warrior" until proven otherwise.

Blake
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I think you will agree with me that the Texans out thought themselves. Is it that hard to take BPA when you pick in the top 10? I mean if you pick 12-32 then ok, take into consideration what you need, vs BPA. But when you are a top 10 pick, and especially top 3 you HAVE to take BPA. Its not that hard...

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 02:02 PM
:woot2 Ha! My vote for the most comical post of the entire thread. I guess you think you're like one of those hurricane forecasters who changes his prediction every week.:)

How bout making a prediction and sticking to it.

Ha. Just like areas of high & low pressure change daily & affect the course of Hurricanes......... we have some activity on our coastal front that will affect our season's outcome.

if it means anything, I predict Miami's game will be the beginning of a 13 game win streak.

real
09-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Mario Would be the perfect 3-4 DE...

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 02:06 PM
LOL, I think you have that backwards. Lawson was voted team MVP- BY HIS TEAMMATES! Mario had a better combine though...so he has that going for him.

I would argue with you, but you think Mario got stoned time and time again against Washington. That didn't happen. Especially not by a tightend. or a fullback.

I garuntee you those guys from Philly's Oline, Indy's Oline, and Washington's Oline are glad they survived the Mario Onslaught....... Indy will be concerned about him December 24th, when Mario Delivers us our first Victory against the Colts for Christmas.

hadaad
09-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Even a player guaranteeing games doesn't mean anything anymore. When a fan guarantees something... I dunno.

Recently, I heard something about how Williams was saying "They've got me double and triple teamed." Without seeing the games, and without Mark Vandermeer or Andre Ware saying anything about it, I have no way of knowing if that's true, but it sounds like BS. Where are the rest of the D Linemen if he's so bottled up? And if it's true, that's an embarassment for the rest of the team, not just Mario.

He has my support and I really hope we pull out of this funk.

GO TEXANS!

Vinny
09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
I would argue with you, but you think Mario got stoned time and time again against Washington. That didn't happen. Especially not by a tightend. or a fullback.

I garuntee you those guys from Philly's Oline, Indy's Oline, and Washington's Oline are glad they survived the Mario Onslaught....... Indy will be concerned about him December 24th, when Mario Delivers us our first Victory against the Colts for Christmas.this is hilarious. I can barely read most of your opinion day to day here since it is always incredibly inconsistent and you don't seem to understand what you are looking at...but this takes the cake.

whiskeyrbl
09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Mario has not set the leauge on fire, but who on this defense has? Where is the aggressive defense? However I still think Mario was the right pick (time will tell, not 3,4,or 5 games). And it.,s being said we should have taken Bush or Young! Lets look at their stats.
Bush:
RUSHING Carries Yards Ave. TD
21 72 3.4 0
RECEIVING Catches Yards Ave. TD
15 120 8.0 0
PUNT RET. # YARDS Ave. TD
7 58 8.3 0

YOUNG:
PASSING ATT COMP YARDS INT TD
23 10 133 1 1
RUSHING Carries YARDS AVE. TD
5 24 4.8 0

Yeah they are taking the leauge by storm! Get a life,and some patience.:stirpot:

Vinny
09-25-2006, 02:44 PM
actually you posted some figures from two players that have already flashed why they were top 3 choices. That is something MW hasn't done.

humbleone
09-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Even a player guaranteeing games doesn't mean anything anymore. When a fan guarantees something... I dunno.

Recently, I heard something about how Williams was saying "They've got me double and triple teamed." Without seeing the games, and without Mark Vandermeer or Andre Ware saying anything about it, I have no way of knowing if that's true, but it sounds like BS. Where are the rest of the D Linemen if he's so bottled up? And if it's true, that's an embarassment for the rest of the team, not just Mario.

He has my support and I really hope we pull out of this funk.

GO TEXANS!

I was at the Redskins game and watched Mario on quite a few plays (easy to do because we can't get our defense off the field against anybody these days). Anyway, it is true that he was sometimes double-teamed...but I never saw him tripled and would doubt that he was frankly.

That said, it would not be bad if Mario forced a consistent double-team (which I did not see btw) in exchange for Weaver, TJ, Babin or Peek having a better path into the backfield but for some reason, that did not happen on the few plays where I did see Mario draw the double.

Overall, it was a bad idea to move him around position wise as he "looks a bit slow" which I believe is mental not physical. In addition, I have seen him take what look like bad angles (too deep and wide) into the backfield several times only to have backs run delays to the "hole" he just left behind or little screen plays thrown there. He is not playing great at all but I am most surprised how poorly the DL has played as a group. 3 weeks ago, I would have bet a bunch of money that they or our WR's would have been the best part of our team this year.

whiskeyrbl
09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
actually you posted some figures from two players that have already flashed why they were top 3 choices. That is something MW hasn't done.

What flashes?????

Blake
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM

Actually the fact that you ONLY view offensive production as flashes of greatness negates your comments. You view Reggie running for 50 yards a game as more advantageous than Mario getting 3 tackles. They both dont make a damn of difference in the game, but since Reggie's 50 can be counted easier, you follow the flock.

Dont give me that Young and Bush have flashed more than Mario. All 3 are young, and havent shown much. But dont let that get in your way of knocking Mario down further than the other 2.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 03:19 PM
That's baloney. Mario hasn't flashed anything at all. He barely averages one tackle a game and he has yet to pressure the QB much less sack him. On running plays he hasn't been able to beat his man inside nor has he power rushed anyone right back into the QB. VY has made "NFL passes" and driven his team to a TD while Bush has been electric on some of those short passes that David Carr loves so much. The only reason the Saints are on MNF tonight is because of Bush. Check him out. If Mario flashes something over and above workman-like effort next game I'll give him that much. Since I gave the franchise the benefit of the doubt with the pick I'd like to see something I'd consider a snapshot of the greatness that is to come.

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
The only reason the Saints are on MNF tonight is because of Bush. Check him out. If Mario flashes something over and above workman-like effort next game I'll give him that much.

We understand your concern regarding Mario. I am am also very aware of his shortcomings to date. But to say Bush is the story and not the fact that this is the first game in the Superdome since Katrina is more hysterics than fact in my opinion.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
ok a correction... he averages barely over 2 tackles a game...my bad.

noxiousdog
09-25-2006, 03:48 PM

I can almost agree with you on Bush (though 6 yards on 5 carries negates most of the positives in my opinion), but what has Vince Young done that is so much better than Mario?

And let's at least be honest. Mario has had flashes. He basically single-handedly stopped a drive with the tackle for loss and batted down pass in the preseason, he forced two holding penalties yesterday against the 'Skins, and he does get an average number of tackles for a DE at 21 years old. The other D-linemen in the draft aren't exactly setting the world on fire:

Williams - 6 tackles, 2 assists
Ngata - 1 tackle
Wimbley - 6 tackles, 3 assists (playing linebacker)
Bunkley - 4 tackles
Lawson - 9 tackles 1 assist 2 sacks (playing linebacker)
McCargo - 2 tackles 1 assist
Kiwanuka - 2 tackles 1 assist

(those are the first two rounds)

And of course this is where you say stats don't mean anything, but he's producing more than any rookie defensive lineman by a wide margin. I don't know how to logically reconcile the two.

noxiousdog
09-25-2006, 03:52 PM
ok a correction... he averages barely over 2 tackles a game...my bad.

Which is roughly average for a 4-3 DE. Not that we can accept average with that pick, but if he's average 3 games into his career at 21 years old, there's a hell of a lot of upside to that.

The Dream
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Mr. Irrelevant

How ironic....I was walking to class this morning and was thinking of more nicknames for Mario.....this was the first to pop in my head....great minds think a like.

Texas_Thrill
09-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Mario has not set the leauge on fire, but who on this defense has? Where is the aggressive defense? However I still think Mario was the right pick (time will tell, not 3,4,or 5 games). And it.,s being said we should have taken Bush or Young! Lets look at their stats.
Bush:
RUSHING Carries Yards Ave. TD
21 72 3.4 0
RECEIVING Catches Yards Ave. TD
15 120 8.0 0
PUNT RET. # YARDS Ave. TD
7 58 8.3 0

YOUNG:
PASSING ATT COMP YARDS INT TD
23 10 133 1 1
RUSHING Carries YARDS AVE. TD
5 24 4.8 0

Yeah they are taking the leauge by storm! Get a life,and some patience.:stirpot:

totally agree with this. patience is a virtue here.

Rookie DE's very rarely set the world on fire their first year and one on a ALREADY bad defense certainly wont turn it around by himself.

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2006, 03:57 PM
How ironic....I was walking to class this morning and was thinking of more nicknames for Mario.....this was the first to pop in my head....great minds think a like.

You should make Mr. Irrelevant irrelevant by never posting about him again. That would be best the discourse for your sanity and others unless you want to bring some earnest points to the discussion.

Vinny
09-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Which is roughly average for a 4-3 DE. Not that we can accept average with that pick, but if he's average 3 games into his career at 21 years old, there's a hell of a lot of upside to that.Lawson and Wimbley are edge rushers. That was what Mario was supposed to be for us. Edge makers are difference makers. They have flashed (the post above this quoted). Otherwise you are just throwing out stats and names. That doesn't mean much to me. If you think Mario is playing average then hat's off to you, but I can draft this guy later on and pay a difference maker the big bucks.

BlueThunder
09-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Put me down as a supporter of our youngest addition to the bright new future of this team.I can't wait to see him with DT strenth and Julius Peppers speed.It will truley be scary when this guy puts it all together..:whip:

LoneStarState
09-25-2006, 07:57 PM
It will truley be scary when this guy puts it all together..
What do you base this on? Game footage of him getting sacks against crappy college teams?

yourfavoritetexan42
09-25-2006, 08:05 PM

followed by the other 31 qbs in nfl? because carr is rated above them.

I am tired of people saying carr sucks...good athlete... doing all he can to have his team win...without an o line...and maybe if we threw him a rb or a defense he could start putting up wins.

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
followed by the other 31 qbs in nfl? because carr is rated above them.

I am tired of people saying carr sucks...good athlete... doing all he can to have his team win...without an o line...and maybe if we threw him a rb or a defense he could start putting up wins.

Ron Dayne avg'd 4 yards a carry.

The defenses are taking away the short ball, and daring Carr to beat them deep. He isn't doing that with consistency to be a threat.

We need to find his effeciency rating to see where he ranks.

& you are right, it would help if our Defense would stop someone........ but 5 three & outs on offense doesn't help the defense at all......

Koolbrz
09-25-2006, 09:38 PM

He sure is isn't he. The way i see it, he is getting to the QB and making tackles. Mario is...Dancing with the stars...but then again we had him signed before training camp opened, right?? This dude is a joke as of right now. Don't get me wrong, i want the dude to be very successful because it will make the team better, but i just dont see it happening any time soon. I have gone back and watched the three games in slow motion while we are on defense and It Does Not Look Good!!!

Koolbrz
09-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Ron Dayne avg'd 4 yards a carry.

The defenses are taking away the short ball, and daring Carr to beat them deep. He isn't doing that with consistency to be a threat.

We need to find his effeciency rating to see where he ranks.

& you are right, it would help if our Defense would stop someone........ but 5 three & outs on offense doesn't help the defense at all......

Ron Dayne is done by the end of the second Quarter most of the time and Gado is not all that great. So the point i am trying to make here is with out a running game you can not go deep consistently. Maybe, if we had a stud RB it would open things up a lil more. As far as the defense goes they need to help themselves. How about they go 5 three and outs, maybe they will not be so tired at the end of the game.

thunderkyss
09-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Ron Dayne is done by the end of the second Quarter most of the time and Gado is not all that great. So the point i am trying to make here is with out a running game you can not go deep consistently. Maybe, if we had a stud RB it would open things up a lil more. As far as the defense goes they need to help themselves. How about they go 5 three and outs, maybe they will not be so tired at the end of the game.

Try telling Peyton Manning that.

4th Qtr
Houston Texans at 14:42
1-10-HOU29 (14:42) D.Carr pass short right to A.Johnson pushed ob at HST 44 for 15 yards (P.Daniels).
1-10-HOU44 (14:17) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to J.Cook.
2-10-HOU44 (14:10) D.Carr pass short middle to A.Johnson to 50 for 6 yards (W.Holdman).
3-4-50 (13:43) R.Dayne up the middle to WAS 39 for 11 yards (S.Taylor).
1-10-WAS39 (13:12) D.Carr pass incomplete short left to J.Putzier.
2-10-WAS39 (13:07) R.Dayne right guard to WAS 34 for 5 yards (K.Golston).
3-5-WAS34 (12:35) D.Carr pass incomplete deep left to A.Johnson.
PENALTY on WAS-C.Rogers, Defensive Pass Interference, 32 yards, enforced at WAS 34 - No Play.
1-2-WAS2 (12:28) D.Carr pass to O.Daniels for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. R.Dayne rushes. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.
WAS 31 HOU 15, Plays: 7 Yards: 71 Possession: 2:29.

The only thing that has been taking Dayne out of the game, is a three touchdown deficit.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Mario Williams may turn out to be a bust, but until the good ol' Bob & Dick (Karmelowicz and Smith) Show coachs the kid and actually schemes for the team they are playing whos fault will it be. No blitzs on Brunell who had looked terrible so far this year uner pressure is a mistake. Not teaching a player of Mario's size and speed to get tackles off balance with misdirection, spin moves etc! One of their selling points on Mario was they knew he had not been coached very well in college and once they gave him coaching he would be a star! Well as far as I can tell Bob and Dick sure have not coached him worth a --it! The money not withstanding I feel for the kid, our defense blows and the guy drafted to help does not appear to be getting the coaching he needs to help. I like Kubiak and I know his focus is on the offense but as head coach he needs to get on his coordinators to get Williams some coaching and a scheme to take advantage of the players we have.

Koolbrz
09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Try telling Peyton Manning that.

4th Qtr

The only thing that has been taking Dayne out of the game, is a three touchdown deficit.

If Dayne is so great why did Denver let him go?? Dayne is washed up man. He can go for about 2 full quarters and he is done. We need a stud RB and we dont have one. Gonna be a problem al yr. long. Hopefully we can pick a good one up in this yrs draft.

thunderkyss
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
If Dayne is so great why did Denver let him go?? Dayne is washed up man. He can go for about 2 full quarters and he is done. We need a stud RB and we dont have one. Gonna be a problem al yr. long. Hopefully we can pick a good one up in this yrs draft.

Philly let T.O. go.... Tampa let Keyshawn go.

The Titans let McNair go, and the Chargers let Drew Brees go.........

I don't know why people do the things they do. but how are you going to tell me the man can't go for 4 Qtrs, when I quote you the play by play in the 4th Qtr, where he is pretty successfull.

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
09-27-2006, 01:39 PM

You'd rather have Vince Young than David Carr? In three years, Vince Young will be playing checkers with Akili Smith on Sundays.

joetexan
09-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe Vince and Akili can team up with Mario and Aundray Bruce.

Texans_Chick
09-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Do you have a link for that?

I was pretty certain that Lawson was voted Defensive MVP, and Mario was voted overall MVP of the team.

2005: All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report and Sports Illustrated…added second team honors from the Walter Camp Foundation and third-team accolades from the Associated Press…All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team selection…voted the team’s Most Valuable Player…played in every game, starting ten contests at left defensive end…came off the bench vs. Wake Forest and Maryland…finished fourth on the team with 62 tackles (32 solos) and led the squad with 23 quarterback pressures…deflected five passes and blocked a kick…recorded a safety, returned a fumble recovery 4 yards and caused two fumbles…set a school season-record, as he led the ACC and ranked fourth in the nation with 14.5 sacks for minus 75 yards…also set a Wolfpack season record and ranked second in the NCAA Division 1-A ranks with 27.5 stops for losses of 111 yards.

I can't give you the direct page link, click on "About (http://www.mariowilliams.com/)"

Vinny
09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Do you have a link for that?

I was pretty certain that Lawson was voted Defensive MVP, and Mario was voted overall MVP of the team.

2005: All-American first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report and Sports Illustrated…added second team honors from the Walter Camp Foundation and third-team accolades from the Associated Press…All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team selection…voted the team’s Most Valuable Player…played in every game, starting ten contests at left defensive end…came off the bench vs. Wake Forest and Maryland…finished fourth on the team with 62 tackles (32 solos) and led the squad with 23 quarterback pressures…deflected five passes and blocked a kick…recorded a safety, returned a fumble recovery 4 yards and caused two fumbles…set a school season-record, as he led the ACC and ranked fourth in the nation with 14.5 sacks for minus 75 yards…also set a Wolfpack season record and ranked second in the NCAA Division 1-A ranks with 27.5 stops for losses of 111 yards.

I can't give you the direct page link, click on "About (http://www.mariowilliams.com/)"NFL draft report all american?

The Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Lombardi Award are the awards with the most prestige....to my knowledge he wasn't a finalist.

http://www.touchdownclub.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=show_page&page_id=4

http://www.rotarylombardiaward.com/05finalists.html

Texan1
09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
You'd rather have Vince Young than David Carr? In three years, Vince Young will be playing checkers with Akili Smith on Sundays.

I like Carr and didn't think Vince would fit on the Texans - but you got to give Vince props - he's a winner.

I think your going to have to rethink the checkers thing...

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 07:02 PM
as head coach he needs to get on his coordinators to get Williams some coaching and a scheme to take advantage of the players we have.

That is exactly what he said he would do with Smith. He said he would be helping Smith more with tape & breaking down what the opposition's offense was trying to do. I heard him say this During his radio show on 610.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
NFL draft report all american?

The Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Lombardi Award are the awards with the most prestige....to my knowledge he wasn't a finalist.

Mario wasn't special NC state and was special in the NFL combine. Hopefully he can turn into something special on the field in the NFL. 7 games into it... no sign of anything special...

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I like Carr and didn't think Vince would fit on the Texans - but you got to give Vince props - he's a winner

i'm so tired of people talking this winner garbage. There have been tons & tons of Qb's who were labeled "winners" when they came out only to be "exposed" in the NFL, Do i even have to name them? when will people realize that being a winner depends on many factors, not just "well he won in high school & college so he'll automatically be a star on the next level."

Texan1
09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I like Carr and didn't think Vince would fit on the Texans - but you got to give Vince props - he's a winner

i'm so tired of people talking this winner garbage. There have been tons & tons of Qb's who were labeled "winners" when they came out only to be "exposed" in the NFL, Do i even have to name them? when will people realize that being a winner depends on many factors, not just "well he won in high school & college so he'll automatically be a star on the next level."

Really? Tons of "winners" who won NC championships on their own and were "exposed". Maybe I'm missing somehting - but I don't recall any. So yes, name a few...

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Really? Tons of "winners" who won NC championships on their own and were "exposed". Maybe I'm missing somehting - but I don't recall any. So yes, name a few...

If you believe he won the NC on his own, well i don't know what to tell you. You see, there is thing called Defense that Texas was really good at that year. & yes, THEY won the NC, but you don't neccessarily NEED to win the NC to be labeled a winner, Vince was labeled that before he even went to UT, but did he win the Texas high school state championship....No. But since you brought it up Ken Dorsey, Andre Ware, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer & pretty much every Heisman trophy winning QB the last what 15-20 years sans Carson Palmer. All the above did nothing but win in college & that's not even including guys like Heath Shuler & Tim Couch.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
If you believe he won the NC on his own, well i don't know what to tell you. You see, there is thing called Defense that Texas was really good at that year. & yes, THEY won the NC, but you don't neccessarily NEED to win the NC to be labeled a winner, Vince was labeled that before he even went to UT, but did he win the Texas high school state championship....No. But since you brought it up Ken Dorsey, Andre Ware, Chris Weinke, Danny Wuerffel, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer & pretty much every Heisman trophy winning QB the last what 15-20 years sans Carson Palmer. All the above did nothing but win in college & that's not even including guys like Heath Shuler & Tim Couch.

Ok, there ya go not making any sense again. We're talking about winning games - not trophies. Trpohies don't equate to W's or championships. Trophies don't make a winner - winnng games does.

Not sure many of those guys won championships. Doresy and Werffel did, but are not the same way or caliber as Young.

BTW I'm not a tsip - not even close, but did you watch the national championship game? I don't care how the Texas D played (btw it wasn't good against USC), Texas doesn't win without Vince. Or with any other QB for that matter. The boy has game. Gotta give him props for winning that game - thats all I'm saying.

He do well in the NFL too...

Texans_Chick
09-27-2006, 07:52 PM
NFL draft report all american?

Nice changing the subject. You made a point of saying how Lawson was voted MVP of the team, and that is just not correct.

Williams started his 2005 off slow and then had all of his fat stats in the second part of the season after the defensive coordinator finally unleashed him. By the time he had his fat stats, it was too late to be national award considered his final season.

He had three defensive coordinators in three years. Each of them wanted him to do different things.

I am sure you have read various pre-draft reports as well, such as this (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/williams_mario). Like most drafted guys, there are pros and cons to his play, but none of it says that he isn't a hard worker, isn't willing to learn, or isn't football smart.

Look. I am not clearing a space for him in Canton, but I do think that if people are going to pour haterade on him for his performance in three games working under a rookie DC and mostly young guys on the line with him, well then I guess they can go ahead and do it.

Just try not to poison everyone with misinformation.

Check out the stats for all the top defensive linemen so far in 2006:

link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/DL-TACKLES/2006/regular)

Check out how long they've been in the league, and how many tackles they had their rookie year.

I might be wrong, but to me, his play looks like someone who is not comfortable with what he is supposed to be doing yet. As an athlete, if you are thinking too much, it effects what you can do on the field. (reason #1 why my golf game usually sucks).

I understand the point of view that people would rather have Bush or Young or wish there was a trade partner for trading down, but putting all the blame on this horrible defense on a rookie seems to be a bit of a witchhunt.

dat_boy_yec
09-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Ok, there ya go not making any sense again. We're talking about winning games - not trophies. Trpohies don't equate to W's or championships. Trophies don't make a winner - winnng games does.

Not sure many of those guys won championships. Doresy and Werffel did, but are not the same way or caliber as Young.

BTW I'm not a tsip - not even close, but did you watch the national championship game? I don't care how the Texas D played (btw it wasn't good against USC), Texas doesn't win without Vince. Or with any other QB for that matter. The boy has game. Gotta give him props for winning that game - thats all I'm saying.

Are you serious. Maybe you didn't watch the game, but I remember the most important play as being the fourth and two. Where USC was stopped. You know who was in on that play. Not Young and Not Bush. However that was the decisive play of the game. Texas doesn't win without that play which was made by the defense, so don't give us that Vince is the reason they won.

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 08:09 PM

Yes i watched the NC & it was The D who got Vince the ball back in the 4th qtr of the NC, the D who had Lienart uncomfortable the entire 1st half of the NC & It was the D who kept Vince & Texas in the game after he turned the ball over twice in Ohio State. If that D isn't in place during the Ohio State game they most likely lose that game b/c no way you get away with turning the ball over like that without the other team at least punching one in for a TD. Like you said Texas doesn't win without Vince, but Vince doesn't win without that D either (see the year before). I too think he will be solid in the NFL, And if we're talking about winning games hmm...... I'm pretty sure all those guys won many many games for their respective alma maters, at the very least helped their teams get into BCS bowls.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I too think he will be solid in the NFL

Ok, we agree on my orginal point - Vince will be solid in the NFL. The rest is commentary.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Are you serious. Maybe you didn't watch the game, but I remember the most important play as being the fourth and two. Where USC was stopped. You know who was in on that play. Not Young and Not Bush. However that was the decisive play of the game. Texas doesn't win without that play which was made by the defense, so don't give us that Vince is the reason they won.

OK, and they won b/c the Texas kicker (Pino) made a 1st qtr field goal and the punter didn't fumble every snap. But Vince won that game bro.

blockhead83
09-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Nice changing the subject. You made a point of saying how Lawson was voted MVP of the team, and that is just not correct.

Williams started his 2005 off slow and then had all of his fat stats in the second part of the season after the defensive coordinator finally unleashed him. By the time he had his fat stats, it was too late to be national award considered his final season.

He had three defensive coordinators in three years. Each of them wanted him to do different things.

I am sure you have read various pre-draft reports as well, such as this (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/williams_mario). Like most drafted guys, there are pros and cons to his play, but none of it says that he isn't a hard worker, isn't willing to learn, or isn't football smart.

Look. I am not clearing a space for him in Canton, but I do think that if people are going to pour haterade on him for his performance in three games working under a rookie DC and mostly young guys on the line with him, well then I guess they can go ahead and do it.

Just try not to poison everyone with misinformation.

Check out the stats for all the top defensive linemen so far in 2006:

link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/DL-TACKLES/2006/regular)

Check out how long they've been in the league, and how many tackles they had their rookie year.

I might be wrong, but to me, his play looks like someone who is not comfortable with what he is supposed to be doing yet. As an athlete, if you are thinking too much, it effects what you can do on the field. (reason #1 why my golf game usually sucks).

I understand the point of view that people would rather have Bush or Young or wish there was a trade partner for trading down, but putting all the blame on this horrible defense on a rookie seems to be a bit of a witchhunt.

Great post, I agree for the most part. Mario looks way green at this point, and I think he was expected to have more savvy for the game right off the bat because he was selected so high in the draft. Mario's looked good busting into the backfield a few times, but he's been doing it in the wrong places/times. If that's a lack of experience and not a lack of instincts, then we don't have much to worry about yet. On the one hand he looks like he's not comfortable yet which can really impact a player's game, but then he hasn't done anything yet to show us that he does have the instincts to dominate in this league.

People can say we were stupid for passing up Reggie, but I don't think there's a foundation for debating that Mario always looked to be a bust. If Reggie was the consensus #1 pick, Mario was the consensus #1 defensive player, head and shoulders above AJ Hawk. Mario may never live up to Reggie's hype, but if he doesn't become a good player on his own merits then he pulled the wool over everyone's eyes, not just Kubiak/Casserly's.

dat_boy_yec
09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
OK, and they won b/c the Texas kicker (Pino) made a 1st qtr field goal and the punter didn't fumble every snap. But Vince won that game bro.

You wanna belittle what I said that's cool. Vince played a big part in the win I can admit that, but the guy didn't win the game. Texas won the game, will he be a solid player yes, maybe, but what about those around him. Tennessee doesn't look to good right now. Throw in Vince and I can almost guarantee he'll loose more than he'll win. If and I'm kinda hoping they don't, they surround him with better talent later on and he begins winning will it be because he's a winner or because he had solid talent added around him? Say what you want about the guy he may be great, but saying he's a winner doesn't mean anything if the team around him is a looser.

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2006, 10:03 PM

Are you saying QB's who won NCAA championships and didn't produce in the NFL? Just off the top of my head (some of these didn't win championships but were very close):

Gino Torretta (2 championships), Ken Dorsey (1), Danny Wuerffel (1), Rodney Peete, Chris Wenke (1), Danny Kannell, Casey Weldon, Shane Matthews, Rick Mirer (no championship as a starter), Eric Crouch (Heismann), Steve Walsh (1), Tommie Frazier (2), Tony Rice (1)...

I think most of those guys were big winners at their colleges, most won at least 1 NCAA championship, and they didn't produce at all (or at least, not alot) in the pros.

Frills
09-28-2006, 04:14 AM
I like the Mario pick, still do.

Bush had 2 att from the ATL 2 and was stuffed twice.

VY can't even dethrone Kerry friggin Collins.

TK_Gamer
09-28-2006, 04:52 AM
I like the pick for Mario, I liked it before it was a pick, when we were just considering him. I think he is little more of a project than you would want for a no. 1 pick but we tried to trade down and failed. I also think for different reasons he was a defensive version of bush. A player you dont wanna pass up, a once in a decade package of physical ability. what I see on the field now is a guy that wants to excell but hasnt learned yet how to apply those physical gifts at the pro level. I think he is an explosion waiting to happen. he thinks too much because he wants to succeed and make everyone proud. but his thinking is what is stopping him from showing us what he can do. He will explode though. maybe next game, maybe 5 weeks from now. but it will happen and I for one am glad it will be as a Texan.

thunderkyss
09-28-2006, 06:30 AM

an offensive genius decides to take the riskier of two options...... Punt..... which most people would do. Or go for it & give up a short field to the guy you are afraid will lead his offensive unit to a touchdown even if you pinned him(& the offensive unit) down to the two yard line.......

If you had DannyWeurffell(& I liked Danny)...... playing for Texas, or Major Applewhite for that matter..... it would have been a totally different decision, and a totally different outcome.

When people say VinceYoung won that game, they don't mean you can take the other 10 guys off the field, and there would still be a victory. They mean the University of Texas won that game because Vince Young was a big part of the two scores in the last 6 minutes of the game that put UT ahead of USC on the scoreboard.

arguing about it is just silly.

Koolbrz
09-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Philly let T.O. go.... Tampa let Keyshawn go.

The Titans let McNair go, and the Chargers let Drew Brees go.........

I don't know why people do the things they do. but how are you going to tell me the man can't go for 4 Qtrs, when I quote you the play by play in the 4th Qtr, where he is pretty successfull.

That was 2 carries! WOW!! 16yds. What happened with the rest of the drive? He tends to disappear, kinda like Mario, you know. Face the truth dude...we have no running game.

threetoedpete
10-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Congratulations Mario. 1 and a half down, 88 & a half to go.

The Dream
10-01-2006, 03:09 PM
have to give props Mario today....hopefully this isnt' a one game fluke.....let's keep it up!

Texansfan36
10-01-2006, 03:10 PM

Well from what I saw today Mario looks like he can play. What did "you know who" do today? Yep so good day, good bye, and good riddance(sp?).