PDA

View Full Version : Richard Smith stinks!

TexanFanInCC
09-24-2006, 01:59 PM
begin venting ur anger! :brickwall

sprtsfanatic
09-24-2006, 02:01 PM
was waiting for this thread to pop up.

TexanFanInCC
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
i was surprised that i was the first to start it...

hot pickle
09-24-2006, 02:04 PM
yah was excited about him at the begining of the season, but now im gonna say that richard smith should be fired, and we should put john joke there, at least we would have more emotion for the defense

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
We have the worst secondary in the NFL, the worst defensive line in the NFL.

What did you expect? Our 2nd round rookie MLB is our best player on defense easy.

TexanFanInCC
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM

What did you expect? Our 2nd round rookie MLB is our best player on defense easy.

and even demeco hasnt been perfect

sprtsfanatic
09-24-2006, 02:20 PM

hell he hasnt even played very well at all today....looks very tenative and slow to react...perhaps too much portis on the brain...that missed INT didnt help us much either...but I do agree he is the best on our defense

Scott D
09-24-2006, 02:21 PM

Aw come on now. Was too somewhat perfect. Perfect at screwing up like the rest of them.:francis:

Houston_Fanatic
09-24-2006, 02:27 PM
He needs to be treated the same way players are treated who don't perform and don't step up. Fire his a**.

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Seems like he doesn't have too much faith in the CB's in man coverage b/c every 3 & resonablly long he has them sitting back. And am i the only one who sees that our team is losing their footing way too much to be on their home field?:wild:

HeartofHouston
09-24-2006, 02:59 PM
No Pass Rush...

Poor Tackling..

Secondray is playing horrible..

Ryans and Robinson are the only people that I have my respect on this defense.. something needs to change quick... we're giving up and average of 30+ points a game.

HoustonFan
09-24-2006, 03:03 PM
];450096']I shall second this notion!

Richard stinks!

I 3rd, 4th, 5th, on up until this defense stops getting pushed around. Pass rush??? What pass rush? It's like they run up against wall that they can't push down trying to get to the QB.

Honoring Earl 34
09-24-2006, 03:07 PM
This is going to be a record setting defense . The way we've had a record setting offense ,

NEROtheZERO
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Should we bring Capers back as defensive coordinator? :yahoo:

Porky
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree. He stinks.

My first move would be too call out number 96 right in the middle of the meeting, then tell him to pack his bags and leave. My second move tommorow would be to tell Richard Smith to accompany him to the airport, and oh by the way, get on the flight with him.

Fire his asssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

CowboysTexansFan
09-24-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree with all of you who are calling for Smith to get fired.

Our defense was absolutely pathetic. I left with about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, and could only recall ONE occasion where Smith called a blitz, which forced Brunell to get rid of the ball and the Redskins to settle for a field goal.

Too many times the team gave up first downs on 3rd and 12+ yards on FREAKING RUNNING PLAYS!!!!

Smith may be an even worse coordinator than Fangio.

The team's offense looks better to me, but the defense looks even worse. With Weaver and all the 1st round draft picks on the defensive line, the team's complete inability to stop the run is inexcusable.

Smith will need to be sent packing soon if the defense's performance doesn't improve SOON.

HJam72
09-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Should we bring Capers back as defensive coordinator? :yahoo:

Yes! But, do NOT EVER consider him as head coach.

edo783
09-24-2006, 03:22 PM
If you have limited/marginal talent on the defense and a rookie coordinator, that is a formula for a disaster.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't think it has much to do with the defensive coordinator. We don't have ANY legitimate LB except a ROOKIE. We have no legitimate DL. We have one solid player in the secondary. We have NO legitimate stars. It's the players who PLAY the game, not the COORDINATOR.

Ibar_Harry
09-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't think it has much to do with the defensive coordinator. We don't have ANY legitimate LB except a ROOKIE. We have no legitimate DL. We have one solid player in the secondary. We have NO legitimate stars. It's the players who PLAY the game, not the COORDINATOR.

Where is the other Smith - as in GM. Has he brought in one player who has been effective since he has been here. Sorry, its just not him, but we keep patching what we don't have. Its hard at this time of the year, but something is dreadfully wrong defensively.

TexansSeminole
09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Where is the other Smith - as in GM. Has he brought in one player who has been effective since he has been here. Sorry, its just not him, but we keep patching what we don't have. Its hard at this time of the year, but something is dreadfully wrong defensively.

Who wants to play for this team, seriously? Please tell me what veteran player who has any skill would want to play for this team.

gg no re
09-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Is Richard Smith using the "Ask Madden" feature in his playbook?

It's bailed me out in a few close games with some choice calls. He should look into it.

TexanFanInCC
09-24-2006, 04:33 PM
i dont want to hear the excuse of "new defensive schemes with new defensive coordinator" crap.....you STIll shouldnt give up an average of 500 yds per game through 3 games. thats inexcusable....i dont care what the situation is.

TexanFanInCC
09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
all of the problems i see on defense are fixable with better preperation and better coordination. guys look clueless out there, and smith's job is to prepare our guys each week to prevent games like this....but it has been 3 straight weeks.

dbspi
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Who wants to play for this team, seriously? Please tell me what veteran player who has any skill would want to play for this team.
After watching the past 3 games and see how the Texans have performed, I can say we will have the top pick in the next draft. Last year we were very lucky to win 2 games, but the way things are looking right now, there is good chance we may go winless in 16 games this season.

I didn't see any improvement on offensively or defensivly. Our Offensive line totally stinks, No running games or passing games with any consistency. QB play stinks. Defensively we are on pace to break all time record of giving up more then 500 yards a game. Defensively - No defensive line what so ever, No linebackers worth keeping in the future except Demeco Ryan, No secondary what so ever, and even DRob is not performing like his rookie season, No DB's worth keeping.

As a Houstonian and Texan fans, I am very disappointed with the team. I think it is time for the coaches and management to come forward and accept that we are a bad football team instead of blaming every thing on player technique and player motivation factor.

Everytime I listen to radio 610 all they ever do is sugar coat everything and blame everything on player bad technique. We are loosing not due to player technique but we have absoulutely no talent what so ever offensivly or defensively. Only bright spot the past 5 years that we have produced is Andre Jonhson offensively and this year Demeco Ryan. Atleast these two players play hard every games.

As a fan I can accept loosing but atleast one like to see some improvement in any area of the games. If last 3 games are any indications then I am sorry to say but I have not seen any improvements from Texans so far. I haven't seen any sign of pulse within a team that can tell me we can compete because as of now our team is not even competing on the field. This is the most discouraging about this post.

Defensively Richard Smith is not even on par with Vic Fangio. This should tell us something. Despite loosing 14 games last year, our defense was much better then this current team.

the wonger need food
09-24-2006, 04:45 PM
This defense is on pace to be worst in NFL history. Richard Smith is obviously in over his head. I know it's only 3 games, but if any coach in the NFL deserves to be fired already, it's him.

dantem
09-24-2006, 04:59 PM
This is the first time I really watched our secondary at the game instead of on TV. They really did look lost. The Skins ran the same play at us 6-8 times with the same result every time. our entire secondary bit on the run to the right, leaving one corner to tackle a runner with 2 blockers to the left. on one of these plays Mario Williams had to come from across the field to make the stop. It's not that these guys are bad players, Dunta has proven himself before. It has to be coaching, or lack of preparation. They looked confused on every play.

the wonger need food
09-24-2006, 05:02 PM
The entire team looks lost, especially on defense. No one knows if there even supposed to be in the game, much less their assignments. I've never seen so many guys running around with their hands in the air looking confused. Richard Smith is worse than Vic Fangio... and that is bad.

CowboysTexansFan
09-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Richard Smith needs to be fired post-haste. In Richard Justice's blog, he writes that Smith wouldn't even talk to reporters after the game. If he's not man enough to answer questions after the gutless performance of his defense the last few weeks, he needs to be run out of town. He should be embarrassed to be collecting paychecks from the organization.

No wonder Saban got rid of him after last season.-

dbspi
09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
This defense is on pace to be worst in NFL history. Richard Smith is obviously in over his head. I know it's only 3 games, but if any coach in the NFL deserves to be fired already, it's him.
Sorry for some of the mistakes in my writing but I am just very frustrated with our performance on the field. As a true fan, I had expected a better performance from our team. I don’t necessarily care wining or loosing so much but at least I had wanted to see better efforts from our players both offensively and defensively.

WWX
09-24-2006, 05:14 PM

Our defense was absolutely pathetic. I left with about 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, and could only recall ONE occasion where Smith called a blitz, which forced Brunell to get rid of the ball and the Redskins to settle for a field goal.

Too many times the team gave up first downs on 3rd and 12+ yards on FREAKING RUNNING PLAYS!!!!

Smith may be an even worse coordinator than Fangio.

The team's offense looks better to me, but the defense looks even worse. With Weaver and all the 1st round draft picks on the defensive line, the team's complete inability to stop the run is inexcusable.

Smith will need to be sent packing soon if the defense's performance doesn't improve SOON.

Thank you for the info. I'm in Dallas and once the Texans start playing bad (game one) the network channels carry other games instead.

You say we are not blitzing then I say FIRE SMITH. If we can't attack the QB with a 4-man rush obviously change up and blitz. Especially if we are playing in a zone, you HAVE to blitz.

Jezz we had hopes of building a defense around Mario, and that's by leaving him alone to get doubled all day. NOOO! If we build around Mario we must repeatedly blitz around him.

I'd bring one LB to to blitz right behind Mario, then a LB and safety, and every 3rd and long I might bring 3 to help in the attack.

It's simple strategy but there are many ways to utilize it and keep the offense on alert. Just like moving Mario to DT, bluff an inside LB blitz, then blitz two from the outside. Throw them off, attack, and always be aggressive. Bring fear into their gameplan.

Basically it would allow Mario (or someone else) to effectively penetrate towards the QB. I'm starting to think we might actually be an effective D if we're more aggressive and utilize some better strategy. Just think if the colts had to punt 4 or 5 times instead of 1.

Scott747
09-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Tired of hearing how bad the personnel on defense is. You will not find a more ill prepared group. It was telling to see no adjustments at halftime.

The bulls-eye of our ineptness in this game is squarely between the eyes of our coaching staff, and that includes Gary Kubiak.

done88
09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Why did caoch K choose a rookie defensive coordinator. It was not enough to have a rookie head coach and a rookie offensive coordinator but our rookie D-coach is just over the top. We do not have enough offense to pick him up. However if the defense was respectable this game would have been close. The offense was competitive. The defense just fell apart. The prevent defense does not work with a minute left they need to stop trying. It was hard to watch these gys walk off the field and get booed. I was embarressed for the team and I was embarressed to be in that crowed. This is your team booing your players is not ok. Calling them out and telling them to hold themselves accountable is ok, booing on TV not good. I will never boo my own players, However I will be here cheering them on until they are a good team.

UberDork
09-24-2006, 06:32 PM
This defence was lost...I refuse to believe that these players are this bad. The problem has to be above them...I almost feel that we need to act immediately so that these players do not accept sucking...and by act immediately I mean find a DC who can just keep these guys from quiting.

I think the offence will be fine...of course we will have three-and-outs and such, but jeese the redskins dominated the time of possession nearly doubling our TofP.

cuppacoffee
09-24-2006, 06:46 PM
IIRC Frank Bush was Kubiaks first choice. Just couldn't get him.

I only wished for improved play from our team. Ain't happened.

I have quit counting the Titans as a sure win.

:coffee:

devo-x
09-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Who would you recommend to replace Richard Smith as DC?

IIRC Frank Bush was Kubiaks first choice. Just couldn't get him.

I only wished for improved play from our team. Ain't happened.

I have quit counting the Titans as a sure win.

cuppacoffee
09-24-2006, 08:28 PM

If you are asking me I haven't a clue who is even available.

I am not in favor of coaching changes this early in the season.

I claim no expertise in x's and o's. I know nothing about schemes and all that technical stuff...:spy:

I am a casual observer.

But most of the time I can recognize BS before I step in it. :D

Not directed at your post.

Do you have a DC candidate?

jerek
09-24-2006, 08:29 PM

I hate agreeing with you Wonger. I really hate it. :)

gjmac2
09-24-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm wondering, where the agressive defense? All I heard in the offseason was how the defense was going to be aggresive. That we would blitz and try to make big plays.

So far, nothing. I was at the game today, and we looked terrible. No aggressivness, no fire, nothing!

Granted, Washington does like to max protect, but dang! At least try to put somr pressure on Brunell! I mean, we waited until Brunell completed 22 passes in a row before we decided to start trying to pressure him. Just terrible!

:brickwall

:crying:

Bobo
09-24-2006, 09:09 PM
He isn't the one who called a timeout for an extra point, call for a running play into the middle when the team was down by 24 points in the fourth quarter or flit away the time when the team was within 16 in the last stanza. He was Kubiak's choice. The person who should be blamed is obvious.

edo783
09-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I had zero problem with the concept of the ulta-aggressive defense with alot of blitzes they talked about. I knew we would get beat deep on occassion (like we aren't anyway), but we would also get sacks and turn overs due to hurried throws. The one time we blitz, Brunell is hurried and the pass is incomplet. Sounds like it worked to me.

Houston_Fanatic
09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Richard Smith needs to be fired post-haste. In Richard Justice's blog, he writes that Smith wouldn't even talk to reporters after the game. If he's not man enough to answer questions after the gutless performance of his defense the last few weeks, he needs to be run out of town. He should be embarrassed to be collecting paychecks from the organization.

No wonder Saban got rid of him after last season.-

I started a thread about being disappointed in Richard Smith when he left the stadium after the Philadelphia game to avoid the reporters. I did not get much support in my viewpoint that he was a coward and should have stayed to support his team who was having to field questions, even if he didn't want to talk to the reporters.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=28028

I stand by my original assessment and I am not impressed with his coaching ability or his leadership. I know there is much more to leadership than not avoiding reporters, but to me it is a symptom of other shortcomings.

TexanFanInCC
09-24-2006, 11:02 PM
as i said, i dont want to hear excuses explaining that the personnel are learning new schemes, etc. they had all mini-camps, training camp, preseason to do that. this defense has looked far from being prepared for gamedays, and they looked lost out there. i refuse to believe that our defense could possibly be that bad. timing and coordination are terrible. i see a bunch of guys trying to do their own thing. i dont think that the personnel are operating as one....blame smith.

underdog65
09-24-2006, 11:09 PM
The defense lack of production is strictly on the coordinator. Whether is scheme or lack of preparation, still his fault. Players do as they are told and what they are taught. Teams are a direct reflection of thier coaching staff. So far our coaching staff is not doing a good job at all.

AustinJB
09-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Smith is HORRIBLE. First of all, I don't understand WHY our Dline is so unproductive....it's not like we don't have good players there....we really SHOULD be able to be productive w/ the line we have...lack of scheme/training/preparation/motivation, etc.

WHY, WHY, WHY do we play prevent defense??????? I can not for the life of me figure out why we will NOT blitz and we play such soft pass coverage!!!! Just like the 3rd and 13 today (although this has happened all season)...when we gave up the pass for a first down, there was not anyone within 10 yds of the receiver!! Nowhere! Not in front, not behind, not to the left or right! What are we doing?! VERY frustrating.

SuperMario06
09-25-2006, 12:53 AM
They should have hired Jim Bates and just given him all the control, I dont care if he was power hungry, he at least turns arounds defenses (see green bay a couple of years ago)

painekiller
09-25-2006, 01:41 AM
After watching the past 3 games and see how the Texans have performed, I can say we will have the top pick in the next draft. Last year we were very lucky to win 2 games, but the way things are looking right now, there is good chance we may go winless in 16 games this season.

I didn't see any improvement on offensively or defensivly. Our Offensive line totally stinks, No running games or passing games with any consistency. QB play stinks. Defensively we are on pace to break all time record of giving up more then 500 yards a game. Defensively - No defensive line what so ever, No linebackers worth keeping in the future except Demeco Ryan, No secondary what so ever, and even DRob is not performing like his rookie season, No DB's worth keeping.

As a Houstonian and Texan fans, I am very disappointed with the team. I think it is time for the coaches and management to come forward and accept that we are a bad football team instead of blaming every thing on player technique and player motivation factor.

Everytime I listen to radio 610 all they ever do is sugar coat everything and blame everything on player bad technique. We are loosing not due to player technique but we have absoulutely no talent what so ever offensivly or defensively. Only bright spot the past 5 years that we have produced is Andre Jonhson offensively and this year Demeco Ryan. Atleast these two players play hard every games.

As a fan I can accept loosing but atleast one like to see some improvement in any area of the games. If last 3 games are any indications then I am sorry to say but I have not seen any improvements from Texans so far. I haven't seen any sign of pulse within a team that can tell me we can compete because as of now our team is not even competing on the field. This is the most discouraging about this post.

Defensively Richard Smith is not even on par with Vic Fangio. This should tell us something. Despite loosing 14 games last year, our defense was much better then this current team.

Wait, I have to throw the flag here. David Carr is looking better each game. Is he back to his rookie year? No not yet, but he has improved. And your not acknowledging it, makes your post very dismissable.

Heywood
09-25-2006, 03:09 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought kubiak was one of those megalomaniacal control freaks who didn't let his assistant coaches talk to the media.

painekiller
09-25-2006, 04:09 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought kubiak was one of those megalomaniacal control freaks who didn't let his assistant coaches talk to the media.

And Heywood comes out of hiding. To answer your question Yes Kubiak is. I want to add I read a quote by Kubiak around the end of training camp or around the start of the season, in the quote Kubiak stats he does not like blitzing his defense, that the front 4 should be able to get enough of a pass rush by themselves. Could this be the source of the toned down Richard Smith, he is doing the HC's wishes.

Did anyone else see the quotes I am talking about?

V Man
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM

And he is playing out of position, he should be where Greenwood or Orr is on the outside.

Mr. White
09-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Gene Chizik.

Porky
09-25-2006, 09:15 AM

I would elevate Hoke on an interim basis, and see what he can do. Now, if it is true that Kubes is behind this week kneed softer than Charmin defense, then he should be fired if he doesn't change it. I'm tired of waiting for compentent coaches. Some of us were worried about all of the inexperience on this staff, but as usual the homers shouted us down. It's like you cannot have a contrary opinion to the homers who swallow every decision whole like it's strawberry pie. To them, the Texans have never made a bad decision, but by some miracle 53 pro-bowlers have managed to go 2-18 in their last twenty.

Holden135
09-25-2006, 09:29 AM
When we hired Richard Smith all I heard was that we would have a very aggressive defense. They said we may give up some big plays but we will also make some plays. Thus far I have seen nothing more than a high school level defense. Its not that we don't have any talent on the field. We just don't utilize it. More often than not, in the nfl the coaches win the games. Every team for the most part has exceptional players. It is up to the coaches to design a game plan that takes advantage of the opponents weaknesses and cover up your own weaknesses. I don't think we have the worst secondary in the league (although close) I just think we have put them in a bad situation. I almost feel sorry for the guys. They are expected to cover receivers for 5 or 6 seconds each pass play because the opponents qb has all day to pass. In order to cause turnovers and incompletions in the passing game you must pressure the qb. Our blitz packages thus far have been elementary. This is the nfl, you have to be creative to succeed. I wouldn't mind getting burnt deep on a safety blitz. Atleast we would be trying to make a play. What do we have to lose? They will either hit the big play or have a methodical drive down field. Either way, they score.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-25-2006, 10:25 AM

He should of been fired this morning after the game.........

Where is this guy, :hides: he never comes to the camera's to expalin the 70 plus points put up on our team in two games....I at least give Charlie credit for coming to the reporters, and showing his face.....but Rick :hides: where is he.....Mcnair has to be having a one legged a _ _ kicking contest right now with himself after watching two teams in two weeks have thier way with us

humbleone
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
He isn't the one who called a timeout for an extra point, call for a running play into the middle when the team was down by 24 points in the fourth quarter or flit away the time when the team was within 16 in the last stanza. He was Kubiak's choice. The person who should be blamed is obvious.

We actually called a time out on the 2nd touchdown to get set up for the 2-point conversion attempt and to get the correct people on the field. This was the right way to burn a timeout IMO because if successful (and it was) we would need only two scores (with 2 point conversions) to tie vs 3.

powerfuldragon
09-25-2006, 10:38 AM
was kubes calling the plays yesterday?

TexanFanInCC
09-25-2006, 10:38 AM
i think the texans need to bring in the defensive coordinator of the TC williams high school team from "remember the titans"

we are the texans (we are the texans)...the mighty mighty texans!

Mr. White
09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
We need to start blitzing. The zone isn't working. I'm aware that blitzing might cause us to give up some big pass plays, but we're already giving up big pass plays.

Capster67
As someone who appreciated what Richard Smith brought to Houston football back with the Oilers (special teams 88-92; tight ends 88-91; asst offensive line 92), I loved Smith's agressiveness. It almost singlehandedly gave the Oilers personality. This aggressiveness has been all but missing this go around. I think it's for one of two reasons. First, I personally think Kubiak has reigned him in. Probably said, play conservative and just keep us in games and the offense will win the games. If this is the case, this approach clearly isn't working and Kubiak needs to suck it up and turn finally Smith loose. Second, Smith is worried about looking good in his first solo defensive coordinator gig (wasn't he co-coordinator in Miami last year) and playing it safe. If this is the case, I would fly in Jerry Glanville (the man who unleashed the monster in Smith back in the 80's) for a little one-on-one, get back to your roots speech. Also, the Oilers turned things around in the late 1980's when they brought in a role player (Eugene Seale - former Marine) to shake things up and help give the special teams and defense a personality. The Texans clearly don't have this. They need to find a blue collar hero who is working for UPS or something to come in and shake up the high priced, highly drafted prima donnas and give them a "take no prisoners" approach. Until we have someone with a killer instinct mentality on the defense, we'll continue to settle for an early lead in games and then roll over and be road kill in the second and third quarters. Just my two cents.

Cjeremy635
We actually called a time out on the 2nd touchdown to get set up for the 2-point conversion attempt and to get the correct people on the field. This was the right way to burn a timeout IMO because if successful (and it was) we would need only two scores (with 2 point conversions) to tie vs 3.

Yeah, but they should have already had it in their minds they were going to go for 2. Basic math..... we were down by 24 points. What's 24 divided by 3? Anyone? 8...which means we had no choice but to go for the 2 point conversion if we wanted to tie the game up. JMHO

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-25-2006, 10:45 AM
i think the texans need to bring in the defensive coordinator of the TC williams high school team from "remember the titans"

we are the texans (we are the texans)...the mighty mighty texans!

I will second that ! :shades:

black00ls1
09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
I have to say something thats been bugging me Smith sucks!!!

I remember when Richard Smith:boxing: said this defense is supposed to be in your face, smash mouth, aggressive style of defense. I have yet to see it a aggressive or smash mouth. I don't think the defense has any (pardon my french) balls out there. I don't see them hitting any one, all I see is them missing tackles, giving up big plays all the time. The front 4 I thought was going to be a huge factor and the best the team has had since the 2002 season. They look lost out there!! Mario Williams?!? I was a huge advocate in the Texans drafting him instead of Reggie Bush, but after see him in the game yesterday he looks the worst. Yes, I know he is getting doubled teamed most of the time, but when he is not he doesn't know where is on the field. Mario has the physical ability to beat anyone and he is fast, but he doesn't know where he is or where the play is going most of the time. I hope to football gods that he proves me wrong as the season goes but if not this is going to set the Texans back a couple of years on defense. The linebackers are not playing that bad at all. Greenwood and Ryans are playing pretty good. Orr is not playing like he was last year. I hope Wong is 100 percent because we really miss him on defense. The corners and safteies need to start making plays!!! They need to start lighting up the recievers when they catch the ball. The corners need to be up on the line of scrimmage beating up the recievers and pushing them off there routes or make them change in there 5 yard cushion that they are allowed. Brown and Earl need to start making the wideouts pay and think twice about catching a ball in their area. They need to start taking chances and being aggressive on defense. The offense is not playing that bad but they do need a running game. I think they might have made a mistake and trading Morency but again that my opinion (and everyone knows what opinions are). Some MIGHT agree with me and some MIGHT think I am stupid for posting this and say what do I know about football.

Prediction for the season 8-8 (which includes wins with Dallas, Indy, Jacksonville, & Titans)

Laters,

Al (Texan for Life)

TexanFanInCC
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I will second that ! :shades:

you BLITZ... ALL.... NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mario:

real
09-25-2006, 11:08 AM
...They look lost out there!! Mario Williams?!? I was a huge advocate in the Texans drafting him instead of Reggie Bush, but after see him in the game yesterday he looks the worst. Yes, I know he is getting doubled teamed most of the time...
:pigfly:

He is not getting doubled "most of the time"...Sometimes, rarely... words that better fit...

I don't know where or why these exscuses have started surfacing...

But they need to stop....

He just isn't a very good football player right now...period....:twocents:

Tulip
09-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I remember being warned - "we're going to be an aggressive defense - so we will give up some big plays, but we'll make big plays." I was warned, and I was ready.

I'm still ready.

Seriously, after Brunell's performance in the first two games, I expected to see an all-out assault on him by the Texans D. And now they have the same opportunity against Culpepper this week. Are we going to see a difference in scheming Sunday? And if not, then maybe someone needs to have a come to Jesus meeting with Richard Smith.

Double Barrel
09-25-2006, 11:28 AM
:pigfly:

He is not getting doubled "most of the time"...Sometimes, rarely... words that better fit...

I don't know where or why these exscuses have started surfacing...

But they need to stop....

He just isn't a very good football player right now...period....:twocents:

I agree 100%. I specifically kept Mario in my binoculars EVERY play he was on the field, and he rarely got doubled. He was getting owned by everyone, including a TE that blocked him and went on to catch a pass for a gain.

Another time Williams was actually picked up by an o-lineman, and for a sec his feet dangled as he was trying to run but couldn't touch the ground. It was have been funny...if not for the fact that it's so sad.

At what point should we be seeing flashes of game from this guy? I mean, I've given him the benefit of the doubt, but he's just not showing even the slightest glimpse of greatness.

ps. I agree with the takes on Richard Smith. Dude has got to go!

QB75
09-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Why the pic of Vince? Not like he's playing.

AggieTexanFan
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
If they don't test Dunte's rebuilt knee by blitzing the ever-loving GOD out of him next week, they should just tell QB's to come and have career games against us every week.

When Peek is healthy just line him up at OLB and blitz him every play.

Ity would be better then anything we have done as of yet on the D-line

MightyTExan
09-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Excuses from Super Mario?

(on defense’s lack of pressure on QB Mark Brunell) “He was throwing the ball quickly for one thing, and I was getting double and triple-teamed. They were using play action pass with a tight end and a tackle blocking me. As a unit, though we still have to make strides to get better and get back there to disrupt the play.”

http://houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2914&section=N%20Latest%20News

Brunell had all day to throw. I thought he was being paid a gazillion dollas to get past the tackle and tight end. I was at the game, I don't think he was double teamed a lot.

Bad excuses if you ask me.

Cjeremy635
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Excuses from Super Mario?

(on defense’s lack of pressure on QB Mark Brunell) “He was throwing the ball quickly for one thing, and I was getting double and triple-teamed. They were using play action pass with a tight end and a tackle blocking me. As a unit, though we still have to make strides to get better and get back there to disrupt the play.”

http://houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2914&section=N%20Latest%20News

Brunell had all day to throw. I thought he was being paid a gazillion dollas to get past the tackle and tight end. I was at the game, I don't think he was double teamed a lot.

Bad excuses if you ask me.

I read that quote earlier and if someone didn't post it I was going to in this thread. If you guys said you were watching him and he wasn't being doubled/trippled teamed....why isn't someone calling him on his lame excuses? I don't expect him to get a sack every down, but the guy plays like he's 125 lbs soaking wet, not like a 6'7" 295 lbs S.O.B.! I don't know, I'm 6'3" and about 235 and I think I could tie up an offensive linemen. I am not saying I can shuck him off and make a play, but I can tie him up for the play and that's all Mario seems to be doing at this point. I did see the play where he got handed his jock by the TE from Washington...embarassing IMO. :tease:

ojthecat
09-25-2006, 01:04 PM

I would take Bozo the clown at this point.

painekiller
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
I love how the man who coaches one of the worse groups of player on the team is the one who gets the most love. Look Dunte best year was his rookie year, he has gone backwards. We were unable to do anything with McCree, the current safety's are playing horrible ball.

And what is the one constant, Hoke. And you guys want to make him the DC?

I would rather see Johnny Holland.

sleepwalker
09-25-2006, 04:12 PM
That prevent defense call on the 30 just before half sums it all up.

Pitiful.

edo783
09-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I remember being warned - "we're going to be an aggressive defense - so we will give up some big plays, but we'll make big plays." I was warned, and I was ready.

I'm still ready.

Seriously, after Brunell's performance in the first two games, I expected to see an all-out assault on him by the Texans D. And now they have the same opportunity against Culpepper this week. Are we going to see a difference in scheming Sunday? And if not, then maybe someone needs to have a come to Jesus meeting with Richard Smith.

My sentiments exactly. I was fully prepared to get burned on occassion deep because we were being aggressive, but I hate this dang passive BS on defense. We have seen it for at least the last two years (first couple of years we played better defense) and it has not worked and just majorly sucks.

phan1
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I also see a D coordinator who can't trust his players. It looks like we're running a very vanilla defense against the redskins, and quite frankly why not? We tried blitzing the Eagles and they picked it up with ease every time. But I definitely think most of the blame has to be on the players. They just aren't getting it done. I hadn't heard any D player that doesn't like Richard Smith. I've only heard that they're upset that they let him down.

bigTEXan8
09-25-2006, 06:41 PM
i put my blame chip on the players. there was a lot of missed tackles, blown coverages, and it just seems the texans' safties can't get back deep. i guess the main question is, defensively; were the texans better last year or this year?

black00ls1
09-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Screw it lets get really crazy and bring old krusty Buddy Ryan to rebuild the defense and bring The House of Pain back to houston like he did with the Oilers!!!

Blu
09-26-2006, 08:45 AM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7439/blussigsmacknewsmallkbex7.gif
Self Smack helps easy the pain.

Texans_Chick
09-26-2006, 08:48 AM
I still can not believe kubes said there will be no personell changes right now or ever. So if the defense continues to struggle we still keep richard smith? Well once the fans stop comming then what?:cowboy1:

We don't have any reasonable alternatives in 2006. I am not sure how excited they were to just have Richard Smith because he wasn't their first choice, but at least they must have thought that he would be an okay placeholder until they could get the guy they really wanted.

As a practical matter, there ain't no candidates on staff to replace Smith in 2006. He is just gonna have to get it together.

For more information, please check out my most recent fanblog post: Link (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/09/if_the_texans_defense_were_a_t.html)

It has info on the key defensive coach positions and what happened when trying to hire for the position.

HomeBred_Texan
09-26-2006, 09:39 AM
We don't have any reasonable alternatives in 2006. I am not sure how excited they were to just have Richard Smith because he wasn't their first choice, but at least they must have thought that he would be an okay placeholder until they could get the guy they really wanted.

As a practical matter, there ain't no candidates on staff to replace Smith in 2006. He is just gonna have to get it together.

This says it all. We have no choice but to ride the storm. If nothing is done by the end of the season, then it becomes a fan's choice...

TexansSeminole
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Richard Smith doesn't seem to be the problem to me. You can't scheme with safeties who CANT cover and a Dline that CANT get pressure. What do you do, blitz a few linebackers? Then your pretty much guaranteed a 20+ yard gain. So then what do you do, leave all your guys out in a cover 2 or 3 situation? Well that isn't working either as we can't get any pressure and our coverage falls apart. Most of these people bashing Richard Smith do NOT know football and/or they are looking for someone to blame.

Texas
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Hire David Carrs wife...She watches her husband take the bulk of every defense so I bet could tell us exactly how to do it!

Texans_Chick
09-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Richard Smith doesn't seem to be the problem to me. You can't scheme with safeties who CANT cover and a Dline that CANT get pressure. What do you do, blitz a few linebackers? Then your pretty much guaranteed a 20+ yard gain. So then what do you do, leave all your guys out in a cover 2 or 3 situation? Well that isn't working either as we can't get any pressure and our coverage falls apart. Most of these people bashing Richard Smith do NOT know football and/or they are looking for someone to blame.

500 yards a game roughly for three games. 500?!!!

There have been all sorts of teams with all sorts of deficits at positions, and I submit, worse talent than the Texans have, and have not averaged 500 freaking yards a game allowed.

400 yards allowed will get you fired. 500 yards gets you tarred, feathered and hung in fiery effigy after having rocks thrown at you and beer spilled on your pregnant wife. (yes, that is hyperbole, don't really do that).

I am just about the last person on the MB to want to finger point at anyone or get overly alarmed about stuff and fly off the handle, and I am generally a pretty patient, reasonable person, and I realize that we don't have the bestest talent on the team on defense and are learning a new defense, but please you tell me how 500 yards a game is not a deficiency in the defensive coaching?

It is as bad watching this defense as it was watching Pendry's offense last year. Maybe worse. And that is saying a lot.

AggieTexanFan
09-26-2006, 03:59 PM
what is sad is that we knew Defense was our weak point coming into the season. So we draft D in the first two rounds which I supported big time, and we bought in good players, ex Weaver.

I know injuries hurt us, but they hurt every team

There is no way that after everything we did in the off-season that we should be a worst Defense as a result.

Vinny
09-26-2006, 04:01 PM
It is as bad watching this defense as it was watching Pendry's offense last year. Maybe worse. And that is saying a lot. :brickwall

humbleone
09-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I actually believe the defense we have seen so far this year is the worst I have ever seen (and I am 51 years old). I was sitting there Sunday in stunned disbelief at just how non-competitive we were. The only D-guy I saw show up and play Sunday was Drob.

Anyway, you are spot on T-chic and I will add that I have now had my first major disappointment with Kubiak (who I believe in btw).

First: It was only 3 weeks ago that he said that "Mario was smart and able to handle the mental part of playing multiple positions". Then, starting with the Colts and again Sunday, they left him at end almost exclusively where IMO he should have been all along. The disappointment is why not say something like "well check back with me on Mario after we have played him in the same position for a while"...in other words take some of the "heat" for him and then rip him privately if that is what you think you need to do. In any event, I am surprised that Kubiak did not take more of the blame for his progress so far.

Second: I was disappointed to hear the "blitzing more is not the answer blah blah blah". It does not matter to me one bit that long term he is right of course that this Dline should/needs to create its own pressure in opposing backfields. He has an offense built around the concept of taking what the defense will give in order to move the chains and put together consistent scoring drives. I am disappointed that he seems relunctant to push that same logic on his D...if blitzing is the only way to get it done right now, then we should take that option IMO.

Third: I am disappointed that Richard Smith has not been fired and that Kubiak asked him "what he could do to help". I can only hope at this point that what he really told him was something more like "you are killing me with this D and you need to get this cleaned up soon or you're gone".

Finally, can anyone tell me what the record is for most yards allowed in an NFL game and for a season? (I began wondering about those 2 numbers on Sunday) Thanks in advance.

edo783
09-26-2006, 04:43 PM
It is as bad watching this defense as it was watching Pendry's offense last year. Maybe worse. And that is saying a lot.

Ahhh, the good ol days of the Pe.....oh, I can't even type that with out wanting to puke.

dat_boy_yec
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I watch this team defense and I think are we even running the same schemes we ran in the pre-season. I mean honestly where are all these soft covers coming from what happened to the blitzing. I remember against the Rams we played our CB's right near the line of scrimmage, I remember this because I remember Buchanon jamming a guy so well he fell like three steps later. I look at that as something positive we were doing in the pre-season and I wonder where the hell did that go. I mean our guys may not be the best at coverage, but damn play tight let them get on the line and jam the guy. At least disrupt the timing on the route for a second. Our safeties suck in coverage then blitz them. I mean what is wrong with Smith. I mean the lack of faith in his players is astounding. Oh there's so many mistakes on defense that just piss you off and make you wonder what the hell is he thinking. I mean on that draw play that Portis ran to the endzone you know what I saw. #20 not blocked clear path to portis. Could have made the play and you know as pissed as I am about McCleon being out there what pisses me off even more is why the hell was he even out there on 2ND FREAKING DOWN! Not that Greenwood is an elite talent, but that was just garbage. You say it's the players and yes they have a hand in it as well, but really what the hell is Smith doing and why is he going away from what worked in the pre-season. I mean that's what's really frustrating. You practice something throughout the off-season so you can get better at it during the regular season why are you...... pissing uss off so much!!! DAMMIT SMITH GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER.

TK_Gamer
09-26-2006, 06:25 PM
maybe it's there strategy! maybe they want the whole world to think we cant put any pressure on the QB, then in the final game of the season to decide who is the worst in the NFL we go to our SECRET original plan and blitz the team into next season. after the game kubiak stands up in front of the camera and tells everyone "SEE! we are NOT the worst team in the NFL!"

dantem
09-26-2006, 06:53 PM
There are a lot of things that can be explained away, But how can you rationalize corners playing 12 yards off the line on 3rd and 3 against 2 wide outs. Maybee he's thinking "I know what there thinking, they think that we think that they think we're going to blitz, so we'll line up in a soft zone which will cause them to question the hail mary that they were going to attempt, and instead run a quarterback sneak. Then we'll have them in our trap."

Seriously, whay can't a Houston football team just for once play football like the rest of the NFL. Every since the run and shoot Oilers, this team has been one new scheme after another, Never going with proven offenses or defenses. Always trying to outsmart the rest of the league.

I wonder how well we would do if we just sent our coaches to NFL 101 classes and started playing generic football.

powerfuldragon
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't like the title of this thread.

Houston_Fanatic
09-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Finally, can anyone tell me what the record is for most yards allowed in an NFL game and for a season? (I began wondering about those 2 numbers on Sunday) Thanks in advance.

From the nfl.com site:

Most Yards Allowed, Season
6,793 Baltimore, 1981

We are on track to set a new record unless Smith changes his strategy.