PDA

View Full Version : Why is our defense stinking so bad?

DocBar
09-24-2006, 01:46 PM
After watching 3 games, it seems like our D-line is more interested in dancing with O-linemen rather than shedding a block and harrassing a QB. Is there a reason for this? Are they "trying to clog the running lanes"? I just don't get it. Maybe we should just swap our lines. Our O-line isn't much interested in stopping anyone.

sprtsfanatic
09-24-2006, 01:54 PM
probably because our defensive scheme really sucks. as bad as it looks i'm not too sure we can right the ship defensively...it really does look THAT bad

MrMeToo
09-24-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't know why. I remember in the off-season almost everyone on the board was saying our defence was going to be improved this season.

sprtsfanatic
09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
something to do with their mentality...cant get it right for gameday

ComstockLode
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
We have no talent on defense. A rookie is our best defensive player.

MrMeToo
09-24-2006, 02:13 PM
We have no talent on defense. A rookie is our best defensive player.

Mario Williams?:sarcasm:

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 03:08 PM
The talent level is not up to par. period. You can't blame Mario solely for how bad this defense is playing. They aren't getting these guys in 3rd and long very often & when they do, they can't stop them. Wash. 3rd down conversion % will be sky high like Indy & Philly's was & Brunell wasn't throwing past 10 yards very often.

Napa Auto Parts
09-24-2006, 03:09 PM
because we dont have reggie bush to keep our defense on the bench while he runs over what ever team we are playing.

HJam72
09-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe we should just swap our lines. Our O-line isn't much interested in stopping anyone.

As bad as our O-line has always been, any 4 of them probably would give us a better pass rush on D than these jokers we've got playin' now. That's our biggest problem by far, but the safeties also suck. Not just bad, they suck.

That's OK though, let's just blame Carr, one of only about 4 descent players on this team, like usual and start screamin' for the next rookie #1 QB.

HoustonFan
09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
because we dont have reggie bush to keep our defense on the bench while he runs over what ever team we are playing.

I'll admit that I'm still wanting to give Mario a chance, but this statement here is right on the money. Brunell and Portis were having a field day. Redskins must have the ball for like over half the game.

edo783
09-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Why....because we have limited/marginal defensive talent and a rookie coordinator. That's a formula for a disaster.

texasguy346
09-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Why....because we have limited/marginal defensive talent and a rookie coordinator. That's a formula for a disaster.

Agreed. To add to it we've got someone who's at best a backup SS/special teamer starting at FS. One starting caliber CB & a rookie MLB who are the best players on the defense. We can't get pressure, and we end up making Mark Brunell look like Peyton Manning.

pancho
09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Without doing research, Im sure we have more 1st round picks on D than the Redskins. For that matter, Colts or Eagles for that matter.

HJam72
09-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Without doing research, Im sure we have more 1st round picks on D than the Redskins. For that matter, Colts or Eagles for that matter.

Eventually they'll figure out that that's our problem and start trading 1st round picks straight up for 4 round picks. I have a crazy theory that it may actually work for us.

MrMeToo
09-24-2006, 03:51 PM

This could be a reason.

underdog65
09-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Unless RB can tackle and put pressure on the opposing teams qb, then he would not have made anything any better. It is a shame that our oldest (Seth Payne) and newest (Demeco Ryans) are the only play makers on defense. MW is too green and needs a lot of tutoring to improve and we need to find someone to cover the middle of the field.

The Pencil Neck
09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Our offense would be better and the defense would not be any worse

I don't think that RB would make this offense any better.

DocBar
09-27-2006, 11:10 AM

Is RB short for running back in this statement? I've been keeping tabs on Reggie Bush and he's exactly what a lot of people thought of him: Dante Hall in black and gold.:brickwall
MW will be OK if given the chance.

real
09-27-2006, 11:12 AM

riiiiiiight....:ok:

Mr teX
09-27-2006, 11:31 AM

He'd make them better, but not enough to overcome the inept defense we play. It would've been nice to see him catching those DC dump passes & see what he'd do with them. I bet you guys wouldn't mind see DC throw dumps all day then!

DocBar
09-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah, RB's really tearing up the league. :brickwall

jerek
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Is RB short for running back in this statement? I've been keeping tabs on Reggie Bush and he's exactly what a lot of people thought of him: Dante Hall in black and gold.:brickwall
MW will be OK if given the chance.

I'd compare him more to Westbrook. A slightly more athletic however less experienced Brian Westbrook. A burner whom you have to account for but who is contained with proper gameplanning.

wrestler4life
09-27-2006, 01:17 PM
MW is going to be fine, and I think tht he will have his best ame so far against Miami. He is a hard worker, and a high character guy who is not going to follow up a bad performance with another one.:fireball:

RTP2110
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Ss/fs

Doug
09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Anyone can say what they would like but if the defensive gameplan doesn't change anything said doesn't really matter. When there's one or two breakdowns you fix them, move personnel around, changeout a player or two, etc. and move on. It's hard to move on when the same problem is staring you in the face week after week. The fact is that our WHOLE defense looks lost. Blame it on personnel, blame it on coaching, whatever you want but the fact remains that there is no reason we should be giving up 500 yards of offense to the opposing team for 3 weeks straight.

I'm sorry for the rant and negative post in this thread and it probably wasn't the time or place but enough is enough. For 4 seasons and 3 games I've heard that we either don't have the personnel or the coaching for the types of defenses we need to run. Well we were running a 3-4 and I kept hearing that we have personnel better suited for a 4-3 and a bad defensive coach. Now we have a 4-3 defense and new defensive coach yet we still don't have the personnel for that type of defense? Granted Capers and company did a horrible job but it's up to Smith to put the best players out there to accomplish his scheme of defense and you can't tell me that giving up 500 yards of offense in each game of the first 3 weeks is the best we can do. I don't know the answers and I'm not going to pretend that I do but even as a fan I can see that what we're doing isn't it.

Rightnow
09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
We have mediocre talent at CB (besides Dunta), awful safties, backup linebackers (besides Demeco), no pass rush, and a rookie first round pick (The Sackmaster) who is playing like a fourth round rookie.

Put that with a rookie defensive coach who wasn't Kubiak's first choice, and you have the defense giving up close to 500 yards per game.

This week is the final test for this group under Richard Smith. If sorry ol' Miami puts up 400+ yards against us, this season is basically over and we should start 2008 draft threads. Culpepper has been sacked around 15 times I think. This is Mario's chance to shine, he should dominate the pathetic Miami offensive line and put the hurt on.

wrestler4life
09-27-2006, 02:26 PM
We have mediocre talent at CB (besides Dunta), awful safties, backup linebackers (besides Demeco), no pass rush, and a rookie first round pick (The Sackmaster) who is playing like a fourth round rookie.

Put that with a rookie defensive coach who wasn't Kubiak's first choice, and you have the defense giving up close to 500 yards per game.

This week is the final test for this group under Richard Smith. If sorry ol' Miami puts up 400+ yards against us, this season is basically over and we should start 2008 draft threads. Culpepper has been sacked around 15 times I think. This is Mario's chance to shine, he should dominate the pathetic Miami offensive line and put the hurt on.

Now they will REALLY double team him!

cuppacoffee
09-27-2006, 03:55 PM

Is this a prediction that Smith will be gone with a bad defensive performance?

Or is it a prediction there will be player movement?

Just asking.

:coffee:

kocian1
09-27-2006, 04:47 PM
We should open the gates and let these guts get after the QB more. Our LBs are sitting back and expecting the run too much. Make them worry about our LBs some and they'll stop double teaming Mario Williams. They put two to three guys on him most of the game.

real
09-27-2006, 05:06 PM
We should open the gates and let these guts get after the QB more. Our LBs are sitting back and expecting the run too much. Make them worry about our LBs some and they'll stop double teaming Mario Williams. They put two to three guys on him most of the game.

Stop lying.

kocian1
09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Stop lying.

Thats what he says!!!!!!!

real
09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Thats what he says!!!!!!!

Mario needs to stop lying too.

real
09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
But you brought up something interesting.....Even if he was getting "doubled and trippled" the whole game...Whe you are being interviewed, how lame does it sound to use that as an exscuse...and then add to that the fact that he was lying....

kocian1
09-27-2006, 05:16 PM
But you brought up something interesting.....Even if he was getting "doubled and trippled" the whole game...Whe you are being interviewed, how lame does it sound to use that as an exscuse...and then add to that the fact that he was lying....

Maybe he gets banged around so much he sees two or three people. Or maybe he thinks its another person, but its really the Running Back running by him with the ball!!

infantrycak
09-27-2006, 06:02 PM

In the 1st half of the game Brunell had 16 passing plays. Williams was doubled on 4. On one there was a third guy standing around unengaged but ready to help out.

JMO but stating something like that would not be lame if true--it would simply be a statement of fact.

Vinny
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
The Skins were beaming down holograms of extra blockers...anyone would have been confused.

Double Barrel
09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Maybe it's the definition of "double teamed" that is in question.

For instance, I saw times where Mario was blocked by one player and then released, and as Mario moved toward the ball, another defender would block him. Is this a true double-team?

I thought double- and triple-teamed was where two/three dedicated blockers engaged a defender, and that was their jobs.

And honestly, Mario was hardly ever able to disengage or break free from a block unless the blocker let him go. I'm not criticizing him or calling him 'bust', but rather just commenting on the things that I saw at the game.

Once free, he did move quickly toward the ball carrier, but the play was usually over by the time when he arrived.

bigTEXan8
09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
The Skins were beaming down holograms of extra blockers...anyone would have been confused.

ha! brunell and the washington offense looked like some sort madden game. horrible.

infantrycak
09-27-2006, 06:18 PM
I thought double- and triple-teamed was where two/three dedicated blockers engaged a defender, and that was their jobs.

Mario needs to dress up in a Seth Payne suit if he wants to see frequent double teams.

Runner
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM

I've heard that a couple of times now. I don't think it's true.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
IMO, our D problems are:

1) Our D line is weak due to the fact that we have par\sub-par linemen and on top of that a player (mario) who is going thourgh on the job training. He is at 3rd string talent level right now and plays every down.

2) We need a good SAM linebacker

3) We need help at both safety positions

yourfavoritetexan42
09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
two reasons why our defense sucks right now: (in order)

reason #1, the main reason: We are blitzing not linebackers...the o linemen know every play who they are blocking so it makes it easier, if we start mixing up the blitzes and become unpredictable, then mental mistakes on the other side of the ball will start happenin and we can start capitalizing.

reason #2, no running game. Defense is always on the field and we have a lot more snaps on defense, therefor they are going to get more yards and score on us more often.

reason #3. no free safety, cc brown has got to go... maybe develop him a little longer as a backup or somethin, but we need another db that can complete our 4 and we can start doing something, I watch him every game and he makes many mistakes.

reason #4, Shantee Orr is a huge letdown... its like demeco ryans is doing everything, greenwood comes up and gets some...and orr is just sitting back and watching the big screen to see what happens.

infantrycak
09-27-2006, 06:34 PM
two reasons why our defense sucks right now: (in order)

Do number 3 and 4 not count or did they do something wrong so they don't receive recognition?

infantrycak
09-27-2006, 06:41 PM
1) Our D line is weak due to the fact that we have par\sub-par linemen and on top of that a player (mario) who is going thourgh on the job training. He is at 3rd string talent level right now and plays every down.

The talent is not lacking on the DL--not to say it isn't underperforming for the picks and money but there is talent. Schemes are all important and this rush 4 on 5, 6, 7 and 8 isn't getting it done. Look at the difference in pressure applied thru the 1st half of last season compared to the 2nd with the same talent. The Texans went from bottom of the pile to mid-pack solely on scheme changes.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
The talent is not lacking on the DL--not to say it isn't underperforming for the picks and money but there is talent. Schemes are all important and this rush 4 on 5, 6, 7 and 8 isn't getting it done. Look at the difference in pressure applied thru the 1st half of last season compared to the 2nd with the same talent. The Texans went from bottom of the pile to mid-pack solely on scheme changes.

Ok, but your are still playing with only 3 NFL linemen. Mario is not an NFL caliber lineman right now - you lose 25% of your line play right there. It makes a difference. Teams may stop blocking him all together. He takes himself out of the play (on the run right at him).

rac
09-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Our D-line is not getting the job done. Travis Johnson sucks they should have cut him along time ago. No one stands out on the defense.

pancho
09-27-2006, 07:16 PM

When six are constantly blocking four its only natural for him to get picked up by another blocker.

doughboy
09-27-2006, 07:22 PM
any of you missing Robaire.

Texan1
09-27-2006, 07:33 PM
any of you missing Robaire.

No, Robaire is limping and the Titans stink. You can keep him and Bud Adams. Good Luck.

Anguyen
09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Reggie Bush having just as bad rookie season as M.W or V.Y
Reggie Bush 3.7 ypc and 0 TD

BTW M.W still sucks

misbell
09-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Our secondary looks to be the weakest link. Daunte Culpepper should have fun Sunday.:whip:

misbell
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Not impressed w/ Reggie at all so far....It's funny how the media is pumping him all up when he hasn't done a thing. And how Mario is getting slammed...

Texans_Chick
09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
The Texans defense is currently statistically horrific instead of just normal awful. They are averaging nearly 500 yards against them per game.

That has to be a defensive coordinator thing. Check out the average yards (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/09/redskins_beat_texans_3115_reac.html) allowed in previous years:

2002 - 326 (390 the worst in 2002)
2003 - 380 (381 the worst in 2003)
2004 - 341 (383 the worst in 2004)
2005 - 364 (391 the worst in 2005)

So even in the worst of the Matt Stevens era, or the 2-14, last place, no secondary defense of last year, they weren't nearly this bad.

Richard Smith in recent years has been mostly a linebackers coach. Last year, he co-ran the Dolphins 3-4 primary based defense, but it was Saban's defense, and Saban was at every defensive meeting (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/07/everything_i_think_i_know_abou.html).

Notably, this is not the worst three game scoring stretch in NFL history, just this season bad: Link (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/27/the-texans-do-not-have-the-worst-defense-in-the-history-of-the-n/)

Anguyen
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Too bad GK dont know jack about defense, seem like he put half of his life on DC Smith.

footballguy69
09-27-2006, 08:51 PM
See my post a few days ago. Coaching communication is one area which badly needs improvement.

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=28919

It is obvious, at least for now, that Richard Smith is over his head at a minimum with his organizational skills. Whether he is a good evaluator of talent or not, I'll give him the full season before passing judgement. As we all know he was not the first choice of Kubiak and the fact we had to wait on Kubiak to finish the season with Denver in the play-offs may have hurt us more than we ever thought. If there is no improvement this week or at least in the next two games after the bye, I seriously think Kubiak may need to pull the trigger on him and move Sherman to that side of the ball. What bugs me the most about Smith is his arrogance. It's the old management 101 saying, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". I have not heard one word from him as to what he thinks the problems are. Just knowing what his view is would be interesting. Remember, he had no problem telling us what he thought when it came to picking Mario.
:mario:

nunusguy
09-27-2006, 09:35 PM
At the beginning of the year before the regular season started, Kubiak said
that our DLine would be one of the strengths, if not "the" strength, of the
team. It's now apparent he was wrong, and that's twice as troubling because
it also may mean that Kubiak is unable to discern the difference between players who can and can't effectively compete in the NFL.