PDA

View Full Version : Let's do a fair comparison for Mario.

BattleRedToro
09-23-2006, 05:26 AM
How about we compare Mario Williams to Richard Seymour.

Richard Seymour is a 4-time Pro Bowl Defensive Lineman.

As a Pro Bowl player he is considered one of the best at his position in the NFL.

He is considered irreplaceable by his teamates and coaches and yet he has never led the league in sacks.

Like Williams, Seymour has been asked to play multiple positions on the line, instead of just playing defensive end all the time like more high profile players such as Freeney or Peppers.

Here are Seymours stats:
Regular Season Tackles Interceptions Miscellaneous
Year Team G/S TT UT A S Yds No Yds Avg Lg TD PD FF FR Blk
2001 Patriots 13/10 44 25 19 3.0 18.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 0 0 1
2002 Patriots 16/16 56 33 23 5.5 42.0 1 6 6.0 6 0 3 0 1 2
2003 Patriots 15/14 80 45 35 8.0 57.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 10 1 0 1
2004 Patriots 15/15 67 37 30 5.0 30.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 1 1 0
2005 Patriots 12/12 69 41 28 4.0 33.0 0 0 0.0 0 0 4 1 1 0
Totals 71/67 316 181 135 25.5 180.0 1 6 6.0 0 0 19 3 3 4

phantom17
09-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Good comparison! But I'm hoping that Mario will surpass R. Seymore big time! Of course Mario is only a rookie so it will be awhile before we can feel his impact on the team.:redtowel:

dat_boy_yec
09-23-2006, 04:06 PM
There are alot of differences between Seymour and Williams. First one being that Seymour is a DT. He plays DT in the 4-3 and moves outside to DE in the 3-4. As we all know in the 3-4 ends are usually transitioned DT's. The Pat's run a hybrid system which makes this possible. Seymour does not have the speed one would desire to play DE in the 4-3 so that comparison isn't really accurate. I mean maybe I'm missing the point, but simply because Seymour is on the D-line does not make him an elite DE.

Grid
09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FMd_RLuZKU

gtexan02
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
I like the post, but I think its silly to keep doing this. Sure you can find a great DE that did poorly in his first years. You can also find DEs that did great in their first years. Williams is Williams, no one else, and will either be a great player, a decent player, or a bust (thats all the choices). Only time will tell, not the success of other players.

Honoring Earl 34
09-23-2006, 05:22 PM
:fireball: Dear Mario , please watch this video .

aj.
09-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Mix Peek and Mario's DNA in a vat and you get Peppers.

Mario is not Peppers. Mario is a lot thicker in the lower body - much more of a power guy than Peppers who is more cat quick, explosive, and dare I say, a more athletic big man than Mario. Not a knock on Mario - just testimony on the freakishness of Peppers.

Peppers is the super athletic power forward that can run the floor (or drop into coverage in the NFL). Mario is the big body power forward that will wear you out in the paint.

stingray
09-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Mario, Mario,Mario........ This is getting old. While Bush is doing great in New Orleans, Williams looks lost in Houston. While things can change, everybody will be laughing at us until Mario does something special. maybe the texans will have a chance to pick up A. Peterson next year, but then again, the Texans will suprise everyone by drafting a punter. They'll say that it's a need...

NEROtheZERO
09-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Mario, Mario,Mario........ This is getting old. While Bush is doing great in New Orleans, Williams looks lost in Houston. While things can change, everybody will be laughing at us until Mario does something special. maybe the texans will have a chance to pick up A. Peterson next year, but then again, the Texans will suprise everyone by drafting a punter. They'll say that it's a need...

While I expect great things out of both players you're being a bit myopic here. The learning curve for a lineman is much greater than it is for a running back, especially given the fact that not only is MW being asked to learn a new system in a superior league but he is being asked to learn a new position, in a new system, in a superior league.

Also, your assesment of Reggie Bush is a bit exagerated. He is averaging a little over 5 yards every time he touches the ball which includes 3.4 yards per carry and .8 yards per carry last week against that tremendous GB defense.

Both of these guys are rookies, give them a chance to develop.

LBC_Justin
09-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Mario, Mario,Mario........ This is getting old. While Bush is doing great in New Orleans, Williams looks lost in Houston. While things can change, everybody will be laughing at us until Mario does something special. maybe the texans will have a chance to pick up A. Peterson next year, but then again, the Texans will suprise everyone by drafting a punter. They'll say that it's a need...Bush has done GREAT. Bush is an AMAZING running back, I will even go as far as saying once in ten life times type player(Gale Sayers mixed with Superman = Michael Jordan X 10 = Reggie Bush), and his 6 carries for 5 yards against the stellar defense of the packers is proof of that.

:wild:

Honoring Earl 34
09-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Bush has done GREAT. Bush is an AMAZING running back, I will even go as far as saying once in ten life times type player(Gale Sayers mixed with Superman = Michael Jordan X 10 = Reggie Bush), and his 6 carries for 5 yards against the stellar defense of the packers is proof of that.

:wild:

Every carry converted a first down on a 4th an 8".

South Texan
09-23-2006, 11:53 PM
IMO it's gonna be a couple of years before we know what we really have in Mario.

I did find the Dunta interview interesting, Dunta mentioned Mario was closing down the corner and forcing the running backs inside where DeMeco was picking them up.

Koolbrz
09-24-2006, 12:46 AM
IMO it's gonna be a couple of years before we know what we really have in Mario.

I did find the Dunta interview interesting, Dunta mentioned Mario was closing down the corner and forcing the running backs inside where DeMeco was picking them up.

IMO Mario will be another avg. DE. I dont see him doing the things that everyone was talking about at the beginning of the season. Yes, its only been two games against two of the best teams in the league, but in order to be one of the best you have to perform against the best. 5 tackles in 8 quarters is not getting it done in my opinion, considering were he was picked in the draft and the 25 mil in guaranteed money he is owed. I would rather have DeAngelo Willams at the one position that is hurting the team right now...RB. Mario did not impress me in college and he definitley has not impressed me in the pros. Its all good though cause we were able to sign him before the draft. That is why we drafted him...Right??

thunderkyss
09-24-2006, 01:26 AM

he had what?? 76 total yards?? Including punt returns against an avg at best GreenBay defense??

One man brought him down, he was covered by a linebacker.... he looked pretty avg to me.

Mario will get there....... no doubt about it.

dirty steve
09-24-2006, 02:03 AM
Mario Williams was the #1 pick in the draft and is guaranteed over $25 Million. Where was Seymour picked?

#6 OVERALL, 2001 NFL Draft. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

infantrycak
09-24-2006, 02:17 AM
#6 OVERALL, 2001 NFL Draft. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

Exactly, and frankly an examination of the top 10 from that year shows how hit and miss the draft is:

1--Vick--dynamic but still wondering if he can be a QB in year 6
2--Leonard Davis--a marginal LT that Green keeps thinking about moving to guard--Pitts one round earlier.
3--Warren--a "bust" with his 1st team who seems to do better under a different coaching staff.
4--Justin Smith--solid player who has never double digited as a pass rusher.
5--LT--the bomb
6--Seymour--the bomb part deux
7--Andre Carter--hasn't found a spot or a team.
8--Terrell--bust
9--Koren Robinson--drunk bust
10--Jamal Reyolds--out of the league.

2 stars out of the top 10, plus one excitement gatherer who they may eventually be able to make into a QB.

bigtex77
09-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Mario hasn't sniffed the QB yet accept after the game when he has shaked his hand

Way to steal a line from McClain. Very original.

Vinny
09-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Richard Seymour is a 3-4 DE who does most of his work in a two gap technique...not a good comparison since the ROLB is the edge rusher in that scheme, not the DE. Mario was supposedly going to be our elite edge rusher.

Ryan
09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
mario williams is a rookie..you can see a little bit of improvement this week on open field tackles andhe is in around the ball alot more..he will kep on improving...he might not be a hall of fame defensive end..but we cant judge him until the end of the season. FYI, the texans suck!