PDA

View Full Version : Let's learn from Manning....

Cruuuuuuuz
09-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Manning wins by finding the weakness in a defense and exploiting it, with a sense of urgency.
Redskins secondary is kinda banged up.(Prioleau's out for the season and Springs prolly wont play)
Let's come out passing....Moulds, Johnson, Daniels & Cook, are chomping at the bit to make catches and Carr has been pretty effective as a passer so far...
Last 2 games we tried to establish a running game to make our play action passing work...it hasnt worked.
Lets try the opposite....
Make passing the primary component of our offense (at first) and maybe that will open up our running game....it's just an idea...whata we got to lose? another game?
Whata you guys think?

Ibar_Harry
09-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Manning wins by finding the weakness in a defense and exploiting it, with a sense of urgency.
Redskins secondary is kinda banged up.(Prioleau's out for the season and Springs prolly wont play)
Let's come out passing....Moulds, Johnson, Daniels & Cook, are chomping at the bit to make catches and Carr has been pretty effective as a passer so far...
Last 2 games we tried to establish a running game to make our play action passing work...it hasnt worked.
Make passing the primary component of our offense (at first) and maybe that will open up our running game....it's just an idea...whata we got to lose? another game?
Whata you guys think?

I've been talking about this until I'm blue in the face. That was exactly the scheme used by Walsh and the Montana lead 49ers. But then again who cares about winning SB's, you just have to run the ball.

Cruuuuuuuz
09-22-2006, 01:16 AM
awh...went back and read some of your posts...thanks for catching me up to speed...!
Pass first, run second is a GREAT FRICKIN' IDEA for this team.

HoustonFan
09-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Maybe if the Texans get better and are a playoff calibur team, they can run up the score on the Colts when they've got them on the ropes, too. One habit I hope they don't pick up when they eventually become a contender is to not choke. Seems to be the common theme w/ the teams in this division.

Colts choking in the playoffs the past couple of years, Though I think as the Baltimore Colts they won a championship or 2

Titans, made the Superbowl. Came up a yard chort of winning. As the Oilers, AFC championship and not to mention the many heartbreakers afterwards.

Jaguars made AFC championship in the second season, but have struggled to make it back ever since.

Texans.... *sigh we're just trying to get a winning season under the belt and go from there.

But back to Manning. He is a competitor that damn sure wants that win, and is not afraid to kick the opponent when they are down. Hopefully Carr and co can adopt that philosophy.

texflex513
09-22-2006, 01:58 AM
Forget about passing and running the ball we have to get the basics of pass BLOCKING and run BLOCKING to work first.. Key word BLOCKING!!! which starts with our O LINE. We are back to basics on both O and D then we can move forward.

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Whata you guys think?

I've been talking about this until I'm blue in the face. That was exactly the scheme used by Walsh and the Montana lead 49ers. But then again who cares about winning SB's, you just have to run the ball.

As long as that weekness is within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, we should be able to do just that.

Seriously though...... what makes you think our QB can read defenses & exploit their weaknessess??

Bamaborn-Texasbred
09-22-2006, 09:51 AM
As long as that weekness is within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, we should be able to do just that.

Seriously though...... what makes you think our QB can read defenses & exploit their weaknessess??

We won't know the answer to that question until he consistently has time to go through his progressions. I've never been under the impression that Carr is mentally deficient.

I think someday we are all going to look back at these first few years and laugh. I'll say, "The Texans used to suck bad, but now it's on."

D-Vizzl
09-22-2006, 10:12 AM
The redskins will just play some type of nickel package to counteract if we come out gunning. You have to prove that you can break off about 4.5 yards a carry before that defense will respect what you are doing, and Williams might disguise his blitzes but he is always rushing the QB. Really i'm cool as long as we don't run a naked bootleg on our first play!

run-david-run
09-22-2006, 11:56 AM

The one time he was able to call plays on his own we set a record for most points in a quarter, maybe? The fact he has not thrown an interception in over 60 pass atemtps this season? Since we have been behind in both games, defenses are obviously expecting us to pass, yet he still hasnt made any mistakes throwing the ball...22/26 last week...things along those lines make me think he can read a D...:brickwall

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 12:26 PM
The one time he was able to call plays on his own we set a record for most points in a quarter, maybe? The fact he has not thrown an interception in over 60 pass atemtps this season? Since we have been behind in both games, defenses are obviously expecting us to pass, yet he still hasnt made any mistakes throwing the ball...22/26 last week...things along those lines make me think he can read a D...:brickwall

So I guess the Colts were superhuman in the 1st half, since they obviously had no weaknesses until the second half. when they were leading by 24........:brickwall

Ibar_Harry
09-22-2006, 11:04 PM
So I guess the Colts were superhuman in the 1st half, since they obviously had no weaknesses until the second half. when they were leading by 24........:brickwall

All I know is Carr more than matched Manning in the 4th qtr, but our defense never made a stop. You can't simply match Manning TD for TD and win the game. The topic of this thread, however, was should we be a Pass 1st offense and I still say the answer is yes. If we can do that then our running game will be much more effective. It will be interesting to see how Kubiak calls the plays in this game.

dat_boy_yec
09-22-2006, 11:47 PM
I dunno, I think our mixture of plays have been pretty good. What I see is alot of drive killing mistakes. I mean the first play against the Colts was a bootleg that any of us who know anything about football know was intended as a pass play. Bad snap fumble. Okay moving on. Next fumble I keep looking at the replays and I think they should have tried to challenge. The arm looked to be moving forward I'm not saying we would have won the challenge, but it would have been worth a shot. Okay, Dayne comes in and it looks like our run game is starting to move then what happens Flanaggan steps on Carr's foot, he still gets the ball to Dayne, but the events were so unexpected Dayne never got moving. Samkon dropping the shovel pass, Carr fumbling the ball and recovering it. Cook getting called for the cut-blocking. I mean our offense shot itself in the foot too many times for me to even think play-calling had anything to do with it. You look at the third quarter we only had the ball for three minutes and some thing seconds. Fourth quarter was the only quarter where we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot. I mean if they can perform like they did in the fourth quarter I got a great feeling about our season, but c'mon you really think play-calling would have made any difference with all the mistakes we were making?

TexanFanInCC
09-23-2006, 10:59 PM
lets put it this way...watching manning run an offense is like watching monet paint a landscape. BEAUTIFUL

thunderkyss
09-24-2006, 12:48 AM
All I know is Carr more than matched Manning in the 4th qtr, but our defense never made a stop. You can't simply match Manning TD for TD and win the game. The topic of this thread, however, was should we be a Pass 1st offense and I still say the answer is yes. If we can do that then our running game will be much more effective. It will be interesting to see how Kubiak calls the plays in this game.

what about our offense this past sunday makes you think we weren't a pass first offense??

Or do you mean we should do away with the run all together??

infantrycak
09-24-2006, 01:53 AM
All I know is Carr more than matched Manning in the 4th qtr, but our defense never made a stop.

Clearly Fresno has cleared out some vineyards and put in ganja fields if you think Carr approached Manning's game. Yes the D needs to step up but stay somewhere on the flat earth map rather than falling off into the "here there be beasties" region.