PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio: Ron Dayne most likely starter against Skins

Texans34Life
09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Per ESPN Radio, they heard reports out of Houston say that Ron Dayne is emerging to be the starter against the Skins. With him and Gado, Lundy can sit on the bench and just observe.

Just wanted to pass it along to my fellow Texans.

blockhead83
09-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Crap, when we picked up Dayne I thought he was going to be our back up's back up. Is anyone else really missing DD right now?

TexanSam
09-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Crap, when we picked up Dayne I thought he was going to be our back up's back up. Is anyone else really missing DD right now?

I'm missing him. But, I do think Dayne is better than Lundy. He didn't get to play much against the Colts, but when he was in there I was more impressed with him than I was with Lundy. I think Gado will eventually be our starter, but becuase he's still relatively new he still has to get used to the system.

TEXANS84
09-21-2006, 11:12 PM

Yeah, sure I'm missing DD. But Dayne knows the system. And this isn't anything that we should be shocked about.

-Dayne knows the system
-Gado is going to get more carries, and eventually emerge as the starter
-Lundy is going to drop down the depth chart

Its all about a business. And whatever works is fine with me, as long as we start to win. Heck, they could sign Burger King man for a ridiculous contract, as long as we start winning I don't care.

Goldeagle
09-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Dayne just looks so bad out of shape and he cant carry the ball for a long run or drive.

Brandon420tx
09-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Yeah, sure I'm missing DD. But Dayne knows the system. And this isn't anything that we should be shocked about.

-Dayne knows the system
-Gado is going to get more carries, and eventually emerge as the starter
-Lundy is going to drop down the depth chart

Its all about a business. And whatever works is fine with me, as long as we start to win. Heck, they could sign Burger King man for a ridiculous contract, as long as we start winning I don't care.

We need him to shore up our defensive backfield.

TexanSam
09-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Dayne just looks so bad out of shape and he cant carry the ball for a long run or drive.

He looks out of shape but he isn't. If he were out of shape, I don't think he would get many touches. He's not a breakaway back for sure, but I think he can run for some long gains.

vast321
09-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Whats he at right now, 240 something? Thats pretty low for his weight. He just needs to see more carries, and i think he will really work well as a starter or 2nd stringer.

TheOgre
09-22-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm missing Adrian Peterson.

Kaiser Toro
09-22-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm missing Adrian Peterson.

I love AP.

I have no qualms with Dayne starting based on his limited touches last week. With Spencer out, Flanagan banged up and Wand not with us I would rather see less Lundy and more Dayne and Gado.

Texas
09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Gado???I havent been around whos that :o

TheOgre
09-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I
I have no qualms with Dayne starting based on his limited touches last week. With Spencer out, Flanagan banged up and Wand not with us I would rather see less Lundy and more Dayne and Gado.

Dayne and Gado ran with authority. I cannot say the same for Lundy. I hope he is moved to 3rd string by the time we come back from the bye week.

V Man
09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
It is on their webpage also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2598563

And of course Len Pasquarelli, can't do an article on the Texans with out reminding everyone who we didn't draft.:brickwall

powerfuldragon
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Gado???I havent been around whos that :o
S. Gado... Formerly of the Packers.

Vinny
09-22-2006, 11:33 AM
It is on their webpage also.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2598563

And of course Len Pasquarelli, can't go an article on the Texans with out reminding everyone who we didn't draft.:brickwall Get used to it...it is our legacy to hand down to future Texans fans now. I think Gado will be the starter before too long.

V Man
09-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Get used to it...it is our legacy to hand down to future Texans fans now. I think Gado will be the starter before too long.

Oh I know, it will only stop if Bush turns out to be like Eric Metcalf (sp). I just think it is getting funny that no matter what the article deals with, Bush has to be mentioned. (you know that laugh you do when there is nothing else you can do but laugh).

Vinny
09-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh I know, it will only stop if Bush turns out to be like Eric Metcalf (sp). I just think it is getting funny that no matter what the article deals with, Bush has to be mentioned. (you know that laugh you do when there is nothing else you can do but laugh).Speaking of bad drafts...I was listening to John and lance yesterday and John said that Casserly said that Merriman wasn't on our draft board because they didn't think he could play the 3-4 OLB. He was gone...but we probably would have passed on him too.

LOL!

HOU-TEX
09-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Speaking of bad drafts...I was listening to John and lance yesterday and John said that Casserly said that Merriman wasn't on our draft board because they didn't think he could play the 3-4 OLB.

LOL!

LOL. I heard that as well. Unbelievable!

phan1
09-22-2006, 01:21 PM

I'm missing him a whole lot. Seriously guys, when has our running game been not good ever since we discovered DD? Not until now. And it's really surprising how bad it has been the past 2 games. First cause we've always been a decent running team and second because of the great preseason we had. We can say the same thing about our defense too.

HOU-TEX
09-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm missing him a whole lot. Seriously guys, when has our running game been not good ever since we discovered DD? Not until now. And it's really surprising how bad it has been the past 2 games. First cause we've always been a decent running team and second because of the great preseason we had. We can say the same thing about our defense too.

I guess that's why everyone says preseason doesn't mean jack. On top of that, the teams we played in preseason aren't doing too good right now either. Even the Broncos, who we lost to, have started kind of sluggish. So take in account preseason games against poor to average teams=Texans looking good or average.:twocents:

edit; this was not a bash on phan1 by any means.

El Tejano
09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I have a feeling that Dayne will start the game but will see most of his action inside the twenty.

GuerillaBlack
09-22-2006, 04:02 PM
From that ESPN article:

As a team, the Texans, who passed on Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in this year's draft, have registered 178 yards on 43 carries and have yet to score a touchdown on the ground.

Why does Reggie Bush need to be mentioned? Straight dumb.

hollywood_texan
09-22-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a feeling that Dayne will start the game but will see most of his action inside the twenty.

I see it more that Kubiak is showing that he is committed to running the ball despite teams focusing on stopping the run and blitzing Carr. That naked bootleg play is pretty much gone now, so what else are they going to do for an offensive strategy? It doesn't seem like Kubiak is very confident in the passing game overall anyway.

The point of this I think is Kubiak wants to pound the ball between the tackles hoping to a call plays on 3rd down with only 4 or 5 yards to go.

This appears to me to be a signal of very conservative play calling on Sunday and Dayne will see a lot more action than inside the twenty yardline. I am assuming you were referring to the Red Zone.

RTP2110
09-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Speaking of bad drafts...I was listening to John and lance yesterday and John said that Casserly said that Merriman wasn't on our draft board because they didn't think he could play the 3-4 OLB. He was gone...but we probably would have passed on him too.

LOL!

un-freakin-believable!!

Hervoyel
09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I believe that Ron Dayne is going to roll Sunday and lock down the starting job.

run-david-run
09-22-2006, 10:30 PM
From that ESPN article:

I love how they mention "the Texans have not scored a TD on the ground" in relation to Bush. Ummm...last time I checked, Reggie hadnt scored a touchdown, period. Someone get the Schawb on the phone...

run-david-run
09-22-2006, 10:32 PM
I see it more that Kubiak is showing that he is committed to running the ball despite teams focusing on stopping the run and blitzing Carr. That naked bootleg play is pretty much gone now, so what else are they going to do for an offensive strategy? It doesn't seem like Kubiak is very confident in the passing game overall anyway.

The point of this I think is Kubiak wants to pound the ball between the tackles hoping to a call plays on 3rd down with only 4 or 5 yards to go.

This appears to me to be a signal of very conservative play calling on Sunday and Dayne will see a lot more action than inside the twenty yardline. I am assuming you were referring to the Red Zone.

Umm, naked bootleg is pretty much a QB run, it means there arnt any receivers. Mostly used for short yardage and such to get an athletic QB on the edge. A regular bootleg, such as the one we scored a TD on agains the Eagles, obviously has a pass option to it.

Note: I may be wrong about this, which would make me look like a jackass, but Im pretty sure Im right.

infantrycak
09-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Umm, naked bootleg is pretty much a QB run, it means there arnt any receivers. Mostly used for short yardage and such to get an athletic QB on the edge. A regular bootleg, such as the one we scored a TD on agains the Eagles, obviously has a pass option to it.

Note: I may be wrong about this, which would make me look like a jackass, but Im pretty sure Im right.

No jackass involved. In a pro-style/Kubiak system a naked bootleg will still often involve up to three throwing options with 2 WR's on the off side but a single side throwing option, a TE either chipping and releasing or a coming across the field and a RB/FB as a dump. No blockers doesn't have to mean no receivers.

tsip
09-23-2006, 12:28 AM

...now whose offense does this sound like? What happened to Kubiak's promise of aggressive play? Why do we have to 'slow' down just because we're in a learning 'mode?' Can the results be any worse? IMO, we've got to get in and stay in a 'coaching to win mode' and quit letting the opponent 'dictate' everything we do!! This was not what was promised!

Too, there are no excuses for being in this style of play, as we've already done this for 4 yrs! Remember, we had some good discussions before about how the team does not 'suddenly' get 'coached to win.' It has to start and begin developing from day one, improving week to week.

Everyone in the NFL knows Gary wants to run but having the:brickwall approach won't work. We simply do not have the players or experience to make this a game of 'butting' heads--we'll lose every time...using players strengths, devising creative game plans and adjusting them, attacking/being aggressive, doing whatever it takes to win...What happen to these ideas/promises?:confused: :twocents:

Nbkan
09-23-2006, 12:46 AM
Good running game opens up a lot of other things, but conversely so can a good passing game. Anything that gets us positive yardage and points I am all for it. I will await the game and watch and see how things workout. I am hoping to see lots of improvement as well as a win this week. We need to get the ball (no pun intended) rolling. And I hope Dayne can have some Bettis like runs...he kind of reminds of the bus. Maybe we can call him the 'Bull'.

Vinny
09-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Think happy thoughts!

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5918/5040pb5.jpg

http://tommcmahon.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/staypuft4.jpg

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170823&page=1&pp=15

Headlights of a Carr
09-23-2006, 12:50 PM
From that ESPN article:

Yeah I'm sick of it. At the time we thought DD would be ready if not close to being ready.

Headlights of a Carr
09-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Just for the record....Jerome Bettis never looked in shape. Did that matter?
No.

bigTEXan8
09-23-2006, 12:52 PM
i'm not suprised that dayne is starting...i figured it would be only a matter of time. dayne knows what kubiak wants from the run game, so there is no reason why he shouldn't be starting.

by the way vinny, solid pic. that's funny.

GP
09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Dude, they are seriously banging on our players with their "look-a-like" photos.

We ought to do the same thing (to them) here.

Mr teX
09-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Good, now if he can run and get his head on a swivel instead of running into his own man well be ok :hides:

Texans86
09-24-2006, 09:32 AM
But Gary Kubiak does show a resemblance to Will Ferrell.