PDA

View Full Version : Richard Smith speaks-Article on chronic

MightyTExan
09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4203032.html

This is what sticks out for me:

Smith also admitted he didn't see it coming despite how poorly the Texans' defense fared against Philadelphia.

"Against the Eagles in the first quarter, there was a lot of belief and hunger and all that kind of stuff," he said. "Once they scored, it was like a light switch went off. It was, 'Oh no. This is like last year.' It was a glassy-eyed look I didn't like.

Blake
09-21-2006, 11:30 AM
How do you Spak? ;)

noxiousdog
09-21-2006, 11:32 AM
How do you Spak? ;)

Sofly and carry a big stik.

;)

Blake
09-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I like this line. This is exactly how I feel when I hear people defend our team with "well they are a great offensive team"

"I don't give a damn how powerful their offenses are," Smith said. "Sure, those are great teams. But if you look at it that way, you're looking at it as a loser."

kcwilson
09-21-2006, 11:40 AM
There are a few things that are very disturbing in this article though...

(1) "It's hard, especially when you feel like things were going to be so different this year," cornerback Dunta Robinson admitted........

I mean, it sounds like Dunta is kinda mailing it in... We thought it was going to be different this year, but to him it already doesn't. Using his words, it would seem that they think this will be a repeat of last year.

(2) "We've embarrassed ourselves," Kalu said. "(Gary) Kubiak, Richard they're such great coaches. We owe them a big apology. We've let them down, and we've let ourselves down. We've got good players. I don't know what we're doing wrong."

Again, lack of confidence, 'I don't know what we're doing wrong' is a pretty desperate statement to me. I'd like to think that the coaching staff has been able to identify some keys to focus on early this week and drill those thoughts into the teams head. Not blaming the coaching staff, but again think that the body language in the locker room is more negative than positive.

(3) Weaver weighed in on the question of the Texans' attitude, which he admitted is "fragile" going into this week's game.

Dude, two losses in a row to two top teams for a rebuilding team has to be handled better. They need to focus on the postive and work on correcting the problems that were noted in last week's game.

(4) "We're not doubting ourselves yet it's going to click," Kalu insisted. "The guys here are too good. Anthony he's the best defensive lineman I've played with in 10 years. DeMeco Ryans? He's going to be the Rookie of the Year. It has to click with these kinds of players."

Hey, I think Weaver has played ok, maybe not enough pressure but Ryans is playing really good. These are the two players I would expect to step up in the locker room and be leaders, but it seems they are being called out by Kalu... something with them is not clicking? Am I off here?

texflex513
09-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I love this quote by smith it really tells me he is a passionate coach...

"I don't give a damn how powerful their offenses are," Smith said. "Sure, those are great teams. But if you look at it that way, you're looking at it as a loser."

there is alot of truth to that statement. As a player you always respect your opponent but always believe you can win. They have to get that drilled into the players heads.

Kaiser Toro
09-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Very nice article from a coach and player perspective. He seems to have a finger on the pulse of the team which is huge.

TEXANRED
09-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I like this line. This is exactly how I feel when I hear people defend our team with "well they are a great offensive team"

Well if the shoe fits............

Heywood
09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
There are a few things that are very disturbing in this article though...

Hey, I think Weaver has played ok, maybe not enough pressure but Ryans is playing really good. These are the two players I would expect to step up in the locker room and be leaders, but it seems they are being called out by Kalu... something with them is not clicking? Am I off here?

i know you didn't mean anything by this, but if you knew n.d. you'd understand why he is showing leadership. he's a truly great person.

real
09-21-2006, 12:15 PM
(4) "We're not doubting ourselves yet it's going to click," Kalu insisted. "The guys here are too good. Anthony he's the best defensive lineman I've played with in 10 years. DeMeco Ryans? He's going to be the Rookie of the Year. It has to click with these kinds of players."

... Am I off here?

It doesn't sound like he's calling them out to me...It sounds more like he's giving those two props; When he says "it has to click", IMO, the "it" he's referring to is the defense...Basically if you subsitute "the defense" where he says "it" you'll get what I'm saying....

samomin
09-21-2006, 12:15 PM
At least they are being honest (or it seems)

real
09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Im really not sure what you all expect these guys to say....I'd rather them be mad at themselves...know they haven't played good, be down on their self....as opposed to them saying we've played to the best of our abilities...we just aren't good enough...would that come off right ?

real
09-21-2006, 12:21 PM

We aren't coaches or players so we have the chance to look at the situation objectively...We aren't saying losing is acceptable...but real life must set in at some point....Of course the players aren't going to give up...why would they ?? But in real life as fans on the outside looking in, we can see certain matchups where the other team has the clear advantage...

wrestler4life
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
It is interesting that Kalu said nothing about Mario.

kcwilson
09-21-2006, 12:40 PM
It doesn't sound like he's calling them out to me...It sounds more like he's giving those two props; When he says "it has to click", IMO, the "it" he's referring to is the defense...Basically if you subsitute "the defense" where he says "it" you'll get what I'm saying....

I'd buy that EXCEPT... he says that it (the defense) has to click with these types of players... after directly referencing Ryans and Weaver. I am sure there is nothing to it, but it just seems weird to me that he says it has to click with these kind of players after specifically mentioned Ryans and Weaver....

unless he means that the rest of the defense has to click with Weaver and Ryans because they are doing the right thing...

We need these on audio so you can hear the inflection, otherwise *****s like yours truly twist them any which way.

I still think that saying I don't know is a crappy answer... I think they can say that we identified areas to work on, have addressed and will continue to address them... saying I don't know makes it seem like the player hasn't learned anything from the loss.

Second Honeymoon
09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Very nice article from a coach and player perspective. He seems to have a finger on the pulse of the team which is huge.

At least the guy seems to have a pulse and not always speak in 'coachspeak' like the previous regime. If I heard the phrase 'were not executing' again I think I would have puked. Smith seems quotable and the players seem like they are able to speak their mind. I dont mind any of the quotes I heard, but really liked smith refusing to blame our performance on the quality of our opposition. Seems like he is accountable and will make people accountable.....hopefully we can improve.

wrestler4life
09-21-2006, 12:50 PM
"We've embarrassed ourselves," Kalu said. "(Gary) Kubiak, Richard they're such great coaches. We owe them a big apology. We've let them down, and we've let ourselves down. We've got good players. I don't know what we're doing wrong."
The fact that these guys are professionals and they don't know what they are doing wrong scares me the most.

Vinny
09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
The fact that these guys are professionals and they don't know what they are doing wrong scares me the most.
To me that = 'our coaches have been outcoached so far'

real
09-21-2006, 01:02 PM
unless he means that the rest of the defense has to click with Weaver and Ryans because they are doing the right thing...

Bingo...I think he was just pointing out two of the players he felt had played good...And how talented they are....Then he goes on to say that they will eventually start playing well because of players like that...atleast that's how I took it...

I still think that saying I don't know is a crappy answer... I think they can say that we identified areas to work on, have addressed and will continue to address them... saying I don't know makes it seem like the player hasn't learned anything from the loss

Well whatever answer they give in this situation...you're not going to like it...He could have just come out with the old generic, "we did some things wrong, worked on them, and as long as we continue to work hard in practice we'll get better...We're just looking forward to this next game" response...He could have said that just to make people like you happy...But maybe said player didn't do anything wrong but the guy next to him messed up all game long...maybe he doesn't want to point out specific things as to not call out or embarrass his teammates...Is it really right for a D-lineman to say We got burned in the secondondary all game long....Or our linebackers need to step up? Maybe the coach but when you ask a player about things most of the time they are going to give generic answers....

wrestler4life
09-21-2006, 01:12 PM

I agree. As a defensive coordinator for the JV team where I teach, if I didn't know what was going on, my ass was in a sling and my team would be getting their butts kicked.
I usually knew what was going wrong, and if I didn't wee it, then someone in the box would relay wehat happened to me.
It shouldn't be that hard.

thunderkyss
09-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I would have expected to hear something more along the lines of, "the Eagles torched us on the underneath stuff, and we overcompensated for that this week"

real
09-21-2006, 01:42 PM
I would have expected to hear something more along the lines of, "the Eagles torched us on the underneath stuff, and we overcompensated for that this week"

Hmmm....you think thats what happened ? I honestly think that Richard Smith is a decent coach...Decent coach+poor players=42 points....Decent Coach+Talented players=Some success....Great coach+Talented players=a lot of success....I think it's as simple as that...Richard Smith is a decent coach working with a bunch of decent guys....The coach needs to get the most out of his players that he can.....

jgl35
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
When Kalu was with Washington, he played with Bruce Smith, Dana Stubblefield, Dan Wilkinson, and Marco Coleman. In Philly, Hugh Douglas, Corey Simon, and Jevon Kearse.

Kalu really gave Weaver something to live up to.

dat_boy_yec
09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I take it with a grain of salt. (First time I use that saying so don't blame me if I used it wrong.) but I mean the I dunno thing I think is more to avoid calling out his players. I'm sure he can go to any specific play and say boom right there that's what went wrong and that's who was responsible, but over the whole game it becomes more complicated because you have so many mistakes you have to question what caused all of them and if it's something maybe he did coaching wise. I mean I put myself in that position and I don't know how else I would respond. I teach the guys as best I could and they seem to pick it up, but when it comes time to apply it they fail to do so. I think it's a difficult question, because you either have to put it on your teaching methods or on the players and if you call one of them out and your wrong the words will always hang in the air. I guess that's kind of self explanatory so I won't keep elaborating.

The other thing that had me thinking all day was he said something along the lines of we cut back in order to minimize mistakes and they still happened. What did he cut back on? I know he's the only one that can answer that, but it's just something I thought I'd put out there. I still think this defense can get it together and they came close so many times against Manning, but he was just able to find all our weaknesses. I mean that one touchdown pass to Addai, Mario had his hands on his shoulders. I know close doesn't cut it and Addai was so freaking wide open it's not funny, but I keep thinking we're making progress and against any other QB that pass would not have made it.

blockhead83
09-21-2006, 10:18 PM
The player's are saying the right things after this inauspicious beginning. They, and the coaches, are owning up for their failures and promising to try and improve. Too bad I already have a bad taste in my mouth from the past four seasons of hearing the right things after a loss. Words are empty, show me something on the field.

Ibar_Harry
09-22-2006, 12:10 AM

Yep! Colts also outfoxed us Defensively with our 1st offensive play which set the tone for the rest of the game. How you can not expect Fenney to slam a Rookie LT is beyond me. There was no question what was going to happen on the 1st play by us. I don't think there is any question about what is going to happen on the 1st play this week. It would be a major surprise if Washington doesn't try to blitz on the 1st play. Changes in the line with a new player at LT, spells blitz.

Kaiser Toro
09-22-2006, 07:01 AM
You guys kill me with the coachng thing. I did not realize the Colt's coaches were lining up on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. :rolleyes: Moreover, the Colts have done pretty well the last couple of years in the regular season even tinkering with a perfect season. Turn the page to the Eagles, how many Conference Championship games were they in a row until injuries and the TO flare up last year.

Blaming it on the coaches and not opening up the passing game are not the reason. They are two of many means to an end. The sky is falling crowd from Fresno and Houston is a downer and reeks of immaturity and/or they have no idea what professional team sports are about to say the least.

This mentality is more reach for the straws than reach for the stars.

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
B'sides, it's not like our coaches aren't trying...... the first play was going to be a pass....... didn't quite work the way we had planned.

But later on.........
Houston Texans at 05:57
1-10-HOU20 (5:57) D.Carr pass short left to O.Daniels to HST 21 for 1 yard (G.Gardner).
2-9-HOU21 (5:24) D.Carr pass short middle to J.Putzier to HST 31 for 10 yards (M.Jackson).
1-10-HOU31 (4:52) D.Carr pass short middle to O.Daniels to HST 37 for 6 yards (C.June, G.Brackett).
2-4-HOU37 (4:16) D.Carr pass short left to A.Johnson to IND 44 for 19 yards (M.Jackson, C.June).
1-10-IND44 (3:34) D.Carr pass incomplete short left to J.Cook.
2-10-IND44 (3:29) D.Carr pass short right to J.Cook to IND 33 for 11 yards (A.Bethea, G.Gardner).
1-10-IND33 (2:51) R.Dayne up the middle to IND 32 for 1 yard (M.Reagor).
2-9-IND32 (2:10) D.Carr pass incomplete short middle to S.Gado.
3-9-IND32 (2:04) S.Gado up the middle to IND 25 for 7 yards (G.Brackett, B.Sanders).
4-2-IND25 (1:58) K.Brown 43 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Pittman, Holder-C.Stanley.

it's not like we didn't try to pass the ball.....
Houston Texans at 08:07
1-10-HOU20 (8:07) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 20 for no gain (D.Freeney). HST-C.Spencer was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.
2-10-HOU20 (7:50) D.Carr pass short right to J.Cook to HST 21 for 1 yard (N.Harper).
3-9-HOU21 (7:14) D.Carr scrambles right end to HST 23 for 2 yards (R.Mathis).
4-7-HOU23 (6:36) C.Stanley punts 43 yards to IND 34, Center-B.Pittman. T.Wilkins to IND 45 for 11 yards (B.Pittman).

But on Monday morning, you can say whatever you want.....
Houston Texans at 03:12
1-10-HOU21 (3:12) S.Gado right end to HST 23 for 2 yards (G.Brackett).
2-8-HOU23 (2:46) (No Huddle) D.Carr pass short middle to S.Gado to HST 26 for 3 yards (G.Gardner, G.Brackett).
3-5-HOU26 (2:08) D.Carr sacked at HST 20 for -6 yards (R.Brock). FUMBLES (R.Brock), and recovers at HST 23. D.Carr to HST 23 for no gain (G.Brackett). Minus 3 sack yards.
4-8-HOU23 (1:44) C.Stanley punts 46 yards to IND 31, Center-B.Pittman. T.Wilkins pushed ob at IND 31 for no gain.
PENALTY on HST-J.Simmons, Illegal Motion, 5 yards, enforced between downs.

When we were within 2 touchdowns, we did go to the run game..... it only makes sense against the colts...... ball control. Lundy fumbled the ball....
HOU 0 IND 14, Plays: 6 Yards: 63 Possession: 2:31.

Indianapolis Colts at 08:17
A.Vinatieri kicks 68 yards from IND 30 to HST 2. E.Shepherd to HST 44 for 42 yards (R.Morris).
Houston Texans at 08:09
1-10-HOU44 (8:09) R.Dayne left guard to HST 47 for 3 yards (R.Brock).
2-7-HOU47 (7:35) R.Dayne up the middle to IND 45 for 8 yards (C.June, B.Sanders).
1-10-IND45 (6:59) R.Dayne right guard to IND 37 for 8 yards (C.June).
2-2-IND37 (6:24) R.Dayne up the middle to IND 40 for -3 yards (Da.Reid).
3-5-IND40 (5:47) D.Carr pass short right to E.Moulds to IND 34 for 6 yards (N.Harper).
1-10-IND34 (5:14) W.Lundy up the middle to IND 32 for 2 yards (G.Brackett).
2-8-IND32 (4:38) D.Carr pass short middle to E.Shepherd to IND 25 for 7 yards (B.Sanders).
3-1-IND25 (4:02) W.Lundy up the middle to IND 23 for 2 yards (D.Klecko).
1-10-IND23 (3:29) W.Lundy left guard to IND 19 for 4 yards (M.Reagor). FUMBLES (M.Reagor), RECOVERED by IND-M.Reagor at IND 19. M.Reagor to IND 19 for no gain (W.Lundy).

24 yards on 7 Caries..... If Kubiak did anything wrong, it was putting Lundy in for Dayne.

Our next possesion:
Houston Texans at 11:58
1-10-HOU20 (11:58) R.Dayne right tackle to HST 26 for 6 yards (R.Mathis).
2-4-HOU26 (11:21) D.Carr pass short middle to O.Daniels to HST 31 for 5 yards (G.Brackett).
1-10-HOU31 (10:49) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 36 for 5 yards (G.Brackett).
2-5-HOU36 (10:13) D.Carr pass incomplete short right to A.Johnson.
PENALTY on HST-J.Cook, Chop Block, 15 yards, enforced at HST 36 - No Play.
2-20-HOU21 (10:09) D.Carr pass short middle to K.Walter to HST 25 for 4 yards (C.June).
3-16-HOU25 (9:33) D.Carr pass incomplete short middle to O.Daniels (C.June).
4-16-HOU25 (9:28) C.Stanley punts 38 yards to IND 37, Center-B.Pittman. T.Wilkins to IND 44 for 7 yards (T.Evans).

11 yards on 2 carries....... 6 offensive snaps. ONly two of them run plays.

we give the ball back to Indy. Hold them to a field goal, and then we come out passing. 9 snaps. ONe run by Dayne for 1 yard, one run by Gado for 7. WE kick a filed goal.

The Colts no-huddles their way to another field goal. we're down by 17.

The Colts come out and score on the first possesion of the Second half. We are down by 24...

Houston Texans at 08:07
1-10-HOU20 (8:07) R.Dayne up the middle to HST 20 for no gain (D.Freeney). HST-C.Spencer was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.
2-10-HOU20 (7:50) D.Carr pass short right to J.Cook to HST 21 for 1 yard (N.Harper).
3-9-HOU21 (7:14) D.Carr scrambles right end to HST 23 for 2 yards (R.Mathis).
4-7-HOU23 (6:36) C.Stanley punts 43 yards to IND 34, Center-B.Pittman. T.Wilkins to IND 45 for 11 yards (B.Pittman).

The Colts Score
Houston Texans at 03:12
1-10-HOU21 (3:12) S.Gado right end to HST 23 for 2 yards (G.Brackett).
2-8-HOU23 (2:46) (No Huddle) D.Carr pass short middle to S.Gado to HST 26 for 3 yards (G.Gardner, G.Brackett).
3-5-HOU26 (2:08) D.Carr sacked at HST 20 for -6 yards (R.Brock). FUMBLES (R.Brock), and recovers at HST 23. D.Carr to HST 23 for no gain (G.Brackett). Minus 3 sack yards.
4-8-HOU23 (1:44) C.Stanley punts 46 yards to IND 31, Center-B.Pittman. T.Wilkins pushed ob at IND 31 for no gain.
PENALTY on HST-J.Simmons, Illegal Motion, 5 yards, enforced between downs.

The colts punt

We take 16 more snaps the remainder of the game 3 possesions..... 4 running plays....

I don't see where a failure to establish the running game cost us the game. I also don't see where Kubiak stubbornly tried to force the run.

highroller28
09-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I thought he was a mute and David Copperfield all rolled into one.

GP
09-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Dunta is mailing it in. I watched him vs. Colts and he would just stop sprinting and go into a jog if he was beaten or close to being beaten.

Smith should run them until they puke, high school "style" until they give up and DESIRE to see themselves as winners.

That's the only thing that can save them: Severe humiliation and extreme physical punishment.

So you think you're a loser? OK. Let's treat you like losers. Run till I puke.

And don't tell me it doesn't work in the NFL: I saw Cowher chewing #24 on Monday night after a blown assignment, and Cowher told him "Now go get your f------ a-- out there!"....on national television, and #24 took it like a man and sprinted hard back onto the field.

Teams that don't handle this "loser" mentality with hard core confrontation are the teams that remain losers, fearful of pissing off millionaire players when they ought to be drilling into their heads that if they CONTINUE to be LOSERS, or even THINK that they are LOSERS, soon there will be somebody to pay them a LOSER wage: McDonald's or Burger King.

All it takes is a spark. When will it come? Who will give it?

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 01:09 PM
And don't tell me it doesn't work in the NFL: I saw Cowher chewing #24 on Monday night after a blown assignment, and Cowher told him "Now go get your f------ a-- out there!"....on national television, and #24 took it like a man and sprinted hard back onto the field.

I don't think that kind of line would work with Kubiak.... he doesn't fit the persona....

Cowher, sure.... Hasslette... yeah, Parcells...... you better believe it. but not Kubiak.

GP
09-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think that kind of line would work with Kubiak.... he doesn't fit the persona....

Cowher, sure.... Hasslette... yeah, Parcells...... you better believe it. but not Kubiak.

There's an old saying: "Beware the wrath of a quiet man."

I think he could easily blow up on the sideline. He's not a coordinator anymore. This is HIM leading the whole team, it's a reflection of his coaching efforts. It's his first job. He inherited a mess. He's got guys quitting on him after playing against Super Bowl quality teams.

I personally think he could explode if they don't start "getting it" in the next two weeks. He's not Dom "The Silent" who preaches and never judges. He's a guy, IMO, who will call people out on the sidelines if he needs to.

Granted, he's a lot cooler than the guys you mentioned (on average). But I don't think that excludes him from doing a little rear chewin' if he needs to.

And frankly, that's where this defensive unit is headed if they don't get it together. Kubiak very much seems like a guy who isn't as interested in results as he is in seeing that his guys are performing to the best of their capabilities. And if they are both (1) Not performing up to their capabilities, and (2) Are not producing, then he is getting rid of them...isn't that right, Vernand?

You get a lot of chances with Kubiak, but he has shown that he can get out the Grim Reaper sickle if he needs to. Would be nice to see him chew someone out on the sideline and just wreak havoc on someone. Would be nice to see the other coaches do a little chewin' too.

edo783
09-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Don't think Kubes wont get in the grill of a player, because he did it frequently with the Broncos.