PDA

View Full Version : Can we Beat the Deadskins??

thunderkyss
09-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Can we beat Washington??

Or are we going to heae that they are a playoff team, and that it isn't reasonable to expect a win.

Many of us thought we'd beat Philly, and lose to Washington...

I'll admit I expected Philly to continue to fade post T.O. into the mire SF is currently clawing
it's way out of. I was wrong on that one.

I also expected some unfinished business between Manning & Dungy.... w/Manning turning the punting team around
and all.

I don't think I ever thought much of Washington(must be the Cowboy in me) so I've always counted that
as a win. Last year, it was the big play that kept them in games...... not the kinda big play Peyton Manning & McNabb
work on.. or that AndyReid designed. But the pure luck kind, the kind that you can't continue to expect.
The kind you can't plan on. Portis will be a chore, but if we make them one dimensional, we can nullify that.
& I am very much surprised with the play of TJ & Weaver as a tackle.... I've been hard on Weaver,
but I think he earned the starting tackle spot this past Sunday. If we can close the middle, which I think is possible
if Weaver & TJ have been taking the starting snaps in practice, & force him outside, then we've got a pretty good
shot at making them one dimensional.

Defensively..... They're pretty stout. & I don't know what we have planned for the LT spot. But I like our chances.

But anyway.

What do you think, can we win??

I know this thread is already started somewhere, but I wanted a poll so we can record our predictions.

Predictions (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=27433&highlight=predictions)

PeterKings (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=27324&highlight=predictions)

MorePredictions (http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=26751&highlight=predictions)

gg no re
09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
As long as Snyder is playing fantasy football, the Skins are never worth mentioning as a playoff team.

This is a winnable game, there's no excuse to get blown out, they're the Skins. Win or lose, I see this one as a struggle for both teams, one due to a stout NFC East defense, and the other is a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

gtexan02
09-20-2006, 09:03 PM
You forgot a choice:
They have way more talent than we do, better coaches, yet no team chemistry. We may win becuase of that

wicked_wayz
09-20-2006, 09:35 PM
no i say we just lose a close one........but it will be a struggle right down to the last second

Grid
09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
I said evenly matched.

kfranco_utexas
09-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Do i want them to?
Yes
Will it happen?
No

:spy:

run-david-run
09-20-2006, 10:32 PM
We can win this, Washington's D hasnt been as good as advertised this season (27 to Dallas? wtf!) and they have some inexperianced corners (Carlos Roggers) and Kenny Wright (remeber him). I dont know if Shawn Springs is coming back or not, but I think AJ and Moulds should beat up on the secondary if Carr has time to throw (where have we heard that before). Stop the big play to Santana Moss, this one's on you Drob, and we pretty much stoped their offense. Also, hope Portis cant go all out...

RTP2110
09-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't see Portis carrying a heavy load in this one, being his first game back from injury. One wrong hit may even send him back to the sideline. Honestly, Moss scares me more this week than Portis does. Call it a hunch, but for some reason I think Mario gets his 1st sack and Carr throws his 1st INT this week.

HoustonFan
09-21-2006, 07:58 AM
I think Carr has a good game - stats that won't lie like last week. RBs have a decent day running the ball. Mario gets to the QB this weekend at least once - gotta under promise and hopefully he over delivers.

It will be a pretty close , low scoring game.

Redskins - 17
Texans - 20

wicked_wayz
09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
i agree with the previous comment......carr throws his 1st interception and mario has his 1st sack

Cjeremy635
09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I think we will win this week. If nothing else, I think this game will give us a better understanding of how much or little our team as developed because the talent level is similar for both teams. I think this game will come down to "execution" (I know that word is taboo around here) and who makes the least amount of mental mistakes. Our coaching needs to be spot on if we hope to take this game. I am optomistic for the fact that we just played two playoff caliber teams and this game should be a refresher for our guys. I know they won't be looking past it though, we don't have that luxury.:texflag: :fans: :wherewill

BlueThunder
09-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Any team that can throw the ball is a threat to us..I still think we have more talent on offense.As for defense I see a complete overhaul next year.I can also see a new DC coming in and actually doing there job for a change.I think if there here next year it will be unbeliavable.I think someone needs to quit coaching because they clearly suck:whip:

:trophy: :logo:

thunderkyss
09-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I think Carr has a good game - stats that won't lie like last week. RBs have a decent day running the ball. Mario gets to the QB this weekend at least once - gotta under promise and hopefully he over delivers.

It will be a pretty close , low scoring game.

Redskins - 17
Texans - 20

I don't want to turn this into a Carr debate, and I'm not the staunchest Carr apologist...... but Carr did have a good game, and his stats didn't lie. Had we not turned the ball over twice in the first Qtr, we could have very well won that game...... 4TDs in the 4th Qtr or not. Had the defense did it's job, forced more than one punt in the entire game, forced a few turnovers..... we'd have won the game....

Carr throwing those short passes, he's putting more emphasis on our tightends to win the game, than he is putting on himself, but I'm a firm believer in taking what the defense gives you.

There were definitely some of his decisions, that I didn't agree with. 2nd & 20 he threw a 4 yard pass, then on 3rd & 16, he threw a 5 yard pass to Walter coming out of the backfield. What made him think Walter could pick up 11 yards on his own?? In those situations, I'd much rather he challenge the DBs with a deep pass, or buys time(putting himself at risk). But because of what we did to him last year, last game, and at the beginning of the 1st Qtr, I don't blame him for not buying time....... hopefully this will change in time.

If nothing else, Carr's stats may be misleading, but not an all out lie. He performed well considering. It also should say more than anything else, that we have other weaknesses.

Flanagan's been getting it handed to him for 6 quarters now...... I don't doubt he rushed that snap.

Right now, teams are preparing for our bootlegs more than our run game. Imagine if that was a handoff, and not a fake with Freeney & Mathis 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage......

Cjeremy635
09-21-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't want to turn this into a Carr debate, and I'm not the staunchest Carr apologist...... but Carr did have a good game, and his stats didn't lie. Had we not turned the ball over twice in the first Qtr, we could have very well won that game...... 4TDs in the 4th Qtr or not. Had the defense did it's job, forced more than one punt in the entire game, forced a few turnovers..... we'd have won the game....

Carr throwing those short passes, he's putting more emphasis on our tightends to win the game, than he is putting on himself, but I'm a firm believer in taking what the defense gives you.

There were definitely some of his decisions, that I didn't agree with. 2nd & 20 he threw a 4 yard pass, then on 3rd & 16, he threw a 5 yard pass to Walter coming out of the backfield. What made him think Walter could pick up 11 yards on his own?? In those situations, I'd much rather he challenge the DBs with a deep pass, or buys time(putting himself at risk). But because of what we did to him last year, last game, and at the beginning of the 1st Qtr, I don't blame him for not buying time....... hopefully this will change in time.

If nothing else, Carr's stats may be misleading, but not an all out lie. He performed well considering. It also should say more than anything else, that we have other weaknesses.

Flanagan's been getting it handed to him for 6 quarters now...... I don't doubt he rushed that snap.

Right now, teams are preparing for our bootlegs more than our run game. Imagine if that was a handoff, and not a fake with Freeney & Mathis 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage......

Nice post Thunder, I agree 100% with your assesment as well. On the last part, yeah it would have been nice for them to have bitten on the bootleg and then we rip one off on the first play of the game for 20+ yards....:drool:

afcman
09-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, we OUGHT to. If we can't beat them or the Titans, Raiders, or Cleveland then we will know that we REALLY STINK. Four games that we should win.

jlam
09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
I'll be there with some friends pulling for you. I think things start to come together for you guys a little more this weekend, if for no other reason, just because of my presence :D .

Cjeremy635
09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, we OUGHT to. If we can't beat them or the Titans, Raiders, or Cleveland then we will know that we REALLY STINK. Four games that we should win.

Technically 5 games...we should sweep the Titans. :homer:

jerek
09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
We can win and I expect us to but they will be just as hungry as us. I am sure Portis is looking at this as an opportunity for a career day. We are going to have to play very hard and our coaching -- including this week's X-factor, again Richard Smith -- is going to have to be superior. Our players can get it done but only if our coaches optimize them through gameplanning.

Texans_Chick
09-21-2006, 09:41 AM
No result in this game would surprise me.

Close game
Texans destroying Redskins
Redksins destroying Texans

Depends on who shows up and whether each of the teams can run the ball, and whether the Texans defense is just terrible or whether they just faced some tough offenses.

Special teams could make a difference.

thunderkyss
09-21-2006, 10:46 AM
I guess the real question I should've asked, should've been how disappointed would we be in a loss. So far, most everyone expects us to win this game..... but that it would be close.......

Would we be disappointed(i.e. "This team sucks break out the paper bags") with a close loss??

Would we be satisfied with a 4TD in the 4th Qtr performance??

Would we be satisfied with a zero sack day from YKW??

Double Barrel
09-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Hopefully Brunell is having another off-day. This will always help us.

And I'd really like to see our defense bring it to whoever has the ball. Make them pay with good, clean, HARD hits (like the Jaguars played against the Steelers last Monday). This could be effective against Portis, who is going to be rusty and still with an injury on his mind.

Our offense has to avoid shooting themselves in the foot. We've got enough problems without fumbling away opportunities. And make the running game a priority. That bootleg that got Carr killed on the first play of the game was just a bad decision.

CenTexNative
09-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I have faith in my team. They'll manage to pull it off. Just wait and see.

Seeing Red
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I think this is one of those defining games in a season. Sure, that gets said way to often and is completely cliche', but if we drop 3 in a row we could very easily spiral out of control. This is an extremely winnable game against a team that is struggling (And yes, I realize that Clinton Portis is finally healthy and will be playing this weekend). But if we at least compete and dont get blown out, I will be one happy fan. Please show up guys.....we need to make a move, and now would be a great time.

LBC_Justin
09-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Just like to point out that I hate when people use names like the "Deadskins". Just too Junior High-ish for me. Reminds me of the sad Jaguars forums that is full of little kids and every team has a nickname. We are above that. It is about the football for us.

Thunder, this is not meant directly at you individually. You are a good respected poster and I enjoy your posts/threads (including this one), but I just wanted to get on a soap box for a second. peace out.

eriadoc
09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I voted "We're way outclassed - it'll be a massacre", even though I don't think it'll be quite that bad. However, we are way outclassed in terms of talent. Their biggest question has been the play of Brunell. The way our defense has played to this point, I expect him to look like Manning and McNabb (OK, not quite that good, but you get the point). Portis should have a field day. We have no one that can really cover Santana Moss and our play vs. tight ends has been atrocious for quite some time, so I expect Cooley to get involved and hurt us quite a bit. Their offensive line has some pretty good players (Jansen and Samuels come to mind), so I think our front four is going to have their work cut out for them.

Offensively, however, I am encouraged. We moved the ball effectively against the Eagles and the Colts. Not stopping the Eagles killed us in that game and drive-killing turnovers killed us against the Colts. The offense has shown that it needs to be more consistent, but it's also shown that it can move the ball. So I am at least encouraged.

Redskins 27 - Texans 17

Mr. White
09-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Didn't vote. I got a feeling that this will be the week the Redskins get it together.

HJam72
09-21-2006, 03:12 PM
You end a thread complaining about perceived immaturity with, "peace out"? :)

WWJD
09-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think the Redskins are as bad as they have shown so far and Portis is playing but IF the Texans can get some pressure on Brunell they should win.

I think this will be a close game.

hollywood_texan
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
This should be a close game to the final possession. The score probably will be around 20-17, but I have feeling it will be lower and I just can't see offensive explosions, even though the defenses are little weak. I think the Texans will win, but they could be on the flip side of that score though.

But, the good news is since this game should be close all 4 quarters, for the first time this year we will get a good look at all the players and how they play a complete game. I think that has been seriously lacking thus far.

Oh, and let's not forget Kubiak's play calling in the 4th quarter. That will be very interseting. I hope he comes up with something better than that 4th call against the Eagles, ughhhhh. The blitzing saftey was all over that one. That was a classic Capers regime type call.

southtexan
09-21-2006, 11:33 PM
I think that we'll see our team play it's best game of the season.

cowboy62
09-22-2006, 07:46 AM
No!!!!!

GP
09-22-2006, 05:15 PM
The refs will decide this one.

Is it just me, or are they NOT calling "holding" like they should?

I've seen o linemen for the Eagles and Colts horse collaring and grabbing up under the shoulder pads and even under the helmet, preventing our rushers from getting around the edge as they try to get to the QB.

I see lots of "no calls," do you? I see lots of shoves in the back not called, too.

infantrycak
09-22-2006, 05:49 PM
The refs will decide this one.

Is it just me, or are they NOT calling "holding" like they should?

I've seen o linemen for the Eagles and Colts horse collaring and grabbing up under the shoulder pads and even under the helmet, preventing our rushers from getting around the edge as they try to get to the QB.

I see lots of "no calls," do you? I see lots of shoves in the back not called, too.

They have taken a very hands off approach the 1st two games. Don't know if it has been lopsided or not as it looked to me like Salaam horse collared Freeney on the Daniels TD. Some of the missed calls have gone far beyond just letting them play and straight into ridiculous though IMO.

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 07:45 PM
They have taken a very hands off approach the 1st two games. Don't know if it has been lopsided or not as it looked to me like Salaam horse collared Freeney on the Daniels TD. Some of the missed calls have gone far beyond just letting them play and straight into ridiculous though IMO.

I saw lots of it against the Eagles...... I don't know if they'd have "no called" as much in our favor, our guys played a lot cleaner.

Indy wasn't nearly as bad....... they played a lot cleaner than the Eagles.... but I too saw a hold or two go uncalled........ our way....

ArlingtonTexan
09-22-2006, 09:47 PM
I did not see the option, I would vote for. The Redskins are better the team 1-53 and should win, but the Texans can win and it would not be an earthshattering upset.