PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Johnson

HOU-TEX
09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Not the linebacker, the DB. Has anybody seen this guy play? It looks like we signed him along with Bedell. Does anyone think he might be a decent aquisition? He couldn't hurt, huh?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/transactions.php?section=N%20Transactions

hot pickle
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
stats dont look to bad for a 6th rounder

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7381/career;_ylt=AsqMQgP0F16VziCs4_GaJEP.uLYF

El Tejano
09-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Eh!!!! Came from San Fransisco. Hey we need whatever we can get.

Reddevil63
09-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Anybody is better than what we had I guess.

Hulk75
09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2003/09/27/2001749569.jpg

V Man
09-20-2006, 03:01 PM
More Info on him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/johnson_derrick_cb

and

http://www.49erswebzone.com/draft/2005/

Likes to hit, but a slow 40 time for a CB (4.54)

hot pickle
09-20-2006, 04:06 PM
4.5 aint that bad, if it gets into 4.6 then i would be worried

powerfuldragon
09-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't get the hopes up. If he ends up being good, it'll be a pleasant surprise. Get ready for some heavy roster restructuring next offseason.

hot pickle
09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Don't get the hopes up. If he ends up being good, it'll be a pleasant surprise. Get ready for some heavy roster restructuring next offseason.

at least its more exciting than losin all the time though

powerfuldragon
09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Yup. It'll be exciting as heck when Kubiak's pieces fall into place.

12Gage
09-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I wish Roc didn't get hurt. He's a player.

run-david-run
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I always laugh when someone says that .1 seconds differance in a 40 time on indoor turf not wearing anything but shorts and T-shirt is worrying...good times

40 time= most overrated stat of all time

ComstockLode
09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Stats for a cornerback is irrelevant.

Farough
09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, any help we can get at CB im all for it. Even if he doesn't make a big impact. I would be happy with a little impact.

yourfavoritetexan42
09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I run a 4.52 in the 40, and I guarantee i couldn't cover one receiver in the nfl, even the ones that run the 40 slower than me. 40 time is highly overrated. There is a receiver on my team that runs a 4.8, but beats me 70% of the time in 1on1 drills.

btw... interesting tidbit... we are playing kubiak's old team on friday...lol...

kfranco_utexas
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Ah yes, he was one of my favorite Longhorns:redtowel:

O.G.
09-21-2006, 06:53 AM

Remember when we got M. McCree for little of nothing......then didn't resign him and he went to Carolina.....

hot pickle
09-21-2006, 08:10 AM
i remember, i was kinda mad in the 04 season when one of our safeties went down, near the end of the season, and instead of puttin him im the game they put some other cat in, and i wasnt happy cause i always knew that he was a good player, but capers never gave him any playing time

nzbolt
09-30-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm waaaay late on this thread- but I feel like I've got some insight into Derrick Johnson's potential, so I'll share it with you guys. First of all, I'm a life long Charger fan, but I taught and coached track in Southern California and had the pleasure of knowing Derrick and his extended family (I coached his cousins) while he attended Notre Dame HS. I joined this board just so I could follow any news or comments on Derrick.

I followed his career at UW- he was a Frosh All American at UW and was a starting CB in the PAC 10 for his entire career- was almost the UW career INT leader- he's got the goods. He's one of the best raw athletes I saw come out of Southern California in the 12 years I was teaching and coaching there.

I was SHOCKED at the news that the 49er's released him- from what I can gather via internet, he had a groin injury in camp which slowed him down- coming into camp he was supposed to be battling for a starting position. He's an amazing athlete who has a nose for the ball- I hate to use cliche terms like "ball hawk" , but he had 3 picks in preseason last year and returned a fumble 78 yds for a TD in the regular season.

Flat out- the kid can play. I don't know the deal in SF, but I can tell you (based on my time knowing him and time spent around him) that I doubt it had anything to do with attitude or discipline. He was one of the most talented, friendly and respectful kids I spent time around as a coach.

He might not be a lock for the next 10 Pro Bowls, but I believe that given the chance to play, he could very well be a solid starting CB in the NFL for a few seasons.

bigbrewster2000
09-30-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm waaaay late on this thread- but I feel like I've got some insight into Derrick Johnson's potential, so I'll share it with you guys. First of all, I'm a life long Charger fan, but I taught and coached track in Southern California and had the pleasure of knowing Derrick and his extended family (I coached his cousins) while he attended Notre Dame HS. I joined this board just so I could follow any news or comments on Derrick.

I followed his career at UW- he was a Frosh All American at UW and was a starting CB in the PAC 10 for his entire career- was almost the UW career INT leader- he's got the goods. He's one of the best raw athletes I saw come out of Southern California in the 12 years I was teaching and coaching there.

I was SHOCKED at the news that the 49er's released him- from what I can gather via internet, he had a groin injury in camp which slowed him down- coming into camp he was supposed to be battling for a starting position. He's an amazing athlete who has a nose for the ball- I hate to use cliche terms like "ball hawk" , but he had 3 picks in preseason last year and returned a fumble 78 yds for a TD in the regular season.

Flat out- the kid can play. I don't know the deal in SF, but I can tell you (based on my time knowing him and time spent around him) that I doubt it had anything to do with attitude or discipline. He was one of the most talented, friendly and respectful kids I spent time around as a coach.

He might not be a lock for the next 10 Pro Bowls, but I believe that given the chance to play, he could very well be a solid starting CB in the NFL for a few seasons.
Thanks for that post. If all your late posts come out that well then keep 'em coming. Good info.

nzbolt
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
It makes a big difference if the 2 of you were racing in track gear on a track or football gear on a football field. When you add the weight and wind resistance of the football gear as well as the loose traction of the grass it slows everyone down. The difference is the stronger runner with the better endurance wins out in the football situation. That is why I agree with Jerry Glanville's opinion that the combine would be better if the players worked out in full gear.

I think more importantly- especially for CB's- is change of direction speed. There are plenty of flat out burners in a 100m dash that can't cover a guy half their speed. Hip fluidity and the ability to change direction and to do it quickly and explosively is what makes guys players. I find the 20yd short shuttle times to be far more valuable in ranking CB's (or any position on the field) because it's taking into consideration the explosiveness that is valuable in game situations.

Pat Kirwan's means of measuring explosion (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8322692) has gotten lots of press the past couple of seasons around draft time- and rightly so. It takes into consideration the kind of quicks (not straight line running speed) that is required to be successful in the NFL.

Either way- back to Derrick- he's got the goods to play in this league. He's plenty fast, but more than that, he's got good hips and is fluid and explosive out of his breaks- THAT is what allows CB's to make plays on the ball.

Good luck tomorrow- I'll be enjoying the whippin' that my bolts will be putting on the Ravens. :cool:

gtexan02
09-30-2006, 07:52 PM
He is playing well but nothing spectacular. If Chalres Spencer becomes a player then it looks like we made a good deal.

Ah yes, he was one of my favorite Longhorns:redtowel:

lol some people missed the 1st post

nzbolt
09-30-2006, 08:52 PM
My main point was I think they should do the combine in full pads on grass, since that is what they play in. I agree with you that the ability to rapidly change direction is very important for cornerbacks as well as recievers.
Nowadays, they essentially have this with the Senior bowl and all the other "draft eligible" All Star games. Those games, and especially the practices, have turned into scout heaven. You get to see top offensive linemen matched up in 1 v 1 and full team battles against the nations top defensive players- individual drills- technique breakouts.....the Senior Bowl is a pre-combine, full pad workout week for scouts.

I do completely agree with what you're saying though- There is a huge difference between track fast and football fast- but that's why these GM's and scouts get paid good money to find the good ones~

nzbolt
09-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Likes to hit, but a slow 40 time for a CB (4.54)
If my memory serves me correctly, he was 3rd in the California State Track meet in the 400m (47.20-ish) and was a scorer in the 200m as well (20.90-ish). You could look those up somewhere and verify them, but the moral of the story is that he's pretty dang fast. I highly doubt he's going to find many WR's that will beat him in a flat out foot race-

I'm not all that sure about his 40 at the combine, but I do know his track history- he's got plenty of go and he's got the footwork and hip mobility to translate his speed onto the field, which is something lot's of combine hero's never do.

EDIT: Yes- I'm sounding a bit homerish- what can I say....I like the kid and I'm rooting for him.:redtowel:

Texas
09-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Well I guess we will see