PDA

View Full Version : So who is starting at RB, and who get the most touches?

Pigskin Porkers
09-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Any insider info, or string thoughts on this topic?

rafterticket
09-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Any insider info, or string thoughts on this topic?

Wali Lundy just got the Royal Volek treatment. That's where you get the majority of reps in the preseason, and relegated to #3 in an instant. Gado, Dayne and Lundy will get the most carries, in that order.

But that's just my opinion.

Mr. White
09-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I think Lundy will start. Dayne will get the most touches. Gado will have the best YPC. :twocents:

HOU-TEX
09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Wali Lundy just got the Royal Volek treatment. That's where you get the majority of reps in the preseason, and relegated to #3 in an instant. Gado, Dayne and Lundy will get the most carries, in that order.

But that's just my opinion.

IMO. Lundy hasn't been running like he did in preseason. It appears he is not picking his feet up when he's breaking through the LOS. It seems he's down after the first touch from the knee down. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just appears he's not trying to break tackles.:twocents:

Vinny
09-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Dayne and Gado will touch the all the most imo. Lundy isn't impressive at all.

real
09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Lundy isn't impressive at all.

I agree. Dayne and Gado are obviously the better backs...I think Lundy will get the start, but I don't see him getting the bulk of the carries...I think they like Gado, and will probably try to make him our feature back...He's young...strong...and explosive....Hopefully he can prove capable of shouldering the load and we can stop this talk of drafting a back in round 1...

RiotCommander
09-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I'll tell you like I told coach. Gado should start, and use Dayne when Gado needs a breather. Lundy should be getting water for anyone who needs it.

O.G.
09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Dayne and Gado will touch the all the most imo. Lundy isn't impressive at all.

I agree. I think Gato will start. He has the most explosiveness of all 3 as well as being the fastest of all 3

El Tejano
09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I agree. I think Gato will start. He has the most explosiveness of all 3 as well as being the fastest of all 3

If our running game can work with Gado. I like the idea of Gado pounding and exploding through the defense and Dayne coming in for the short, pound it out kind of stuff.

texaslifter
09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm just happy we're getting in some competition for Lundy. I agree Gado should get the start with Dayne as his sub, but who knows. Lundy could benefit greatly by being pushed for his job.

Hervoyel
09-20-2006, 12:41 PM
If I'm making the call (and I'm not) then Dayne gets the start and Gado comes in and gets some carries. The guy who gets it done best starts the week after and I go with the man who produces the rest of the season.

ojthecat
09-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I'll tell you like I told coach. Gado should start, and use Dayne when Gado needs a breather. Lundy should be getting water for anyone who needs it.

I have to disagree with you on this. When a player has just ran for big yards and makes it to the sidelines for a rest there is nothing worse than having the water fumbled on him before he gets a drink. For that reason I think that we should use Bucannon as the water boy and let Lundy take care of any power cords that need moving on the sidelines.

real
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
I have to disagree with you on this. When a player has just ran for big yards and makes it to the sidelines for a rest there is nothing worse than having the water fumbled on him before he gets a drink. For that reason I think that we should use Bucannon as the water boy and let Lundy take care of any power cords that need moving on the sidelines.

Bump that...We need Buchannon on the field...

TheOgre
09-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Lundy might get some carries these next two weeks, but I think he might even be practice squaded after the bye week (when Gado and Dayne should be up-to-speed on the playbook).

GP
09-20-2006, 03:44 PM
How deflating must it be for Lundy to read the Kubiak quotes about "Lundy is going to be a star," or "Lundy has that hunger in his eyes" and to be tabbed "The Man" due to preseason performance...and then to very potentially being the third string back?

I'm not saying "Poor baby" because he's wealthy, he's not injured, and that's the way the cookie crumbles in show biz.

But you know that it must cross his mind from time to time. I can only hope he learns from the other two guys. This might be a good opportunity for him to grow into the position and learn, a chance to get some mentoring like Aj is getting from Moulds.

He's obviously not doing well (running into the pile and not seeing the holes) and it was fairly clear that Gado and Dayne have an edge on him right now.

My guess is that Kubiak still believes in Lundy (long term) but that he's letting Lundy sit and watch because he needs instant mashed potatoes if you know what I mean. We gotta' cook a meal like Rachel Ray right now.

Gado ; Dayne ; Lundy is my depth chart and who gets the carries. I think it might still be a 50-50 timeshare between Gado and Dayne for this weekend with us seeing that percentage rise for one guy or another over te next few weeks as it becomes clear who has found their groove the best.

GP
09-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Lundy might get some carries these next two weeks, but I think he might even be practice squaded after the bye week (when Gado and Dayne should be up-to-speed on the playbook).

Yeah, and is anybody talking about who we gotta' cut to make room for Mathis and Wong when they come off the PUP list?

How's that work?

Mr teX
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Probably Dayne & Gado mostly. I think Lundy has played himself to the 3rd string. I was never sold on him anyway.

powerfuldragon
09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Starting RB?

Samoroli Gundayne

O.G.
09-20-2006, 04:05 PM
If our running game can work with Gado. I like the idea of Gado pounding and exploding through the defense and Dayne coming in for the short, pound it out kind of stuff.

My point exactly. Then that bootleg that coach likes will be more effective

SconnieGuy
09-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Dayne is the best bet. Gado was a nice pick-up and he had a nice run in garbage time, but he also had a little fumblitis problem with the Pack.

Give Dayne the ball 25 times a game and I guarantee he will bust off some big runs.

AlbinoRat
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Dayne is out of shape, so I don't think you'll see him starting just yet. Gado will get more carries this week, but will not start. Lundy gets the start, doesn't produce enough, and people complain again.

If you want to win, probably the best guy for the job isn't Lundy.
If you want Garrett Wolfe or Adrian Peterson, Lundy is the man to get you there. (obviously we'd prefer the win)

MasterBasser
09-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Garret Wolfe? Are you kidding? A knock on Reggie was that he was too small to be a RB in the NFL and he's way bigger than Garret Wolfe. Garret Wolfe is even smaller than Quenten Griffin.

AlbinoRat
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
He's small so what? Warrick Dunn is small. Garrett Wolfe is the best runningback in the NCAA. Bar none.

AustinJB
09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Garrett Wolfe is the best runningback in the NCAA. Bar none.

^
^
:pigfly:

run-david-run
09-20-2006, 10:49 PM
What was, 200 yards on Ohio State? Yes he is small, but he has produced. It will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft and to who.

And I dont think it will be in the 1st round

run-david-run
09-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Garret Wolfe? Are you kidding? A knock on Reggie was that he was too small to be a RB in the NFL and he's way bigger than Garret Wolfe. Garret Wolfe is even smaller than Quenten Griffin.
Reggie really isnt that small, he is only a few pounds lighter then AP of Lawrence Maronney, but its the way he runs that makes the differance. AP looks like he wants to hit you Earl Campbell style, while Reggie, well, Reggie is Reggie.:chicken:

bigTEXan8
09-20-2006, 10:54 PM
i say dayne is our starting rb, and should get 70% of the carries, splitting with gado. as far as i'm concerned, they proved they could move the ball on the ground consistently...jmo. i just wish the first like...10-20 plays vs. washington are pass plays, stretch that secondary out. then pound dayne and gado down the middle. that's what i'd do.

valleytexfan
09-21-2006, 01:17 AM
I say Gado should start, with Dayne sharing some of the load, too. Lundy can come in on 3rd down or simply bide his time. Gado and Dayne ran well against Indy...

RiotCommander
09-21-2006, 05:53 AM
He's small so what? Warrick Dunn is small. Garrett Wolfe is the best runningback in the NCAA. Bar none.

Your not serious. I just don't see anyone saying that without being a huge homer or related to him.

O.G.
09-21-2006, 07:01 AM

Nice back, but I'd take Micheal Hart from Michigan. That's another thread though. Listening to Sports Radio 610 interview with Gato, it sounds like he will see a large portion of the carries. He is becoming very comfortable with the playbook and when hearing him talk, you can hear the intelligence in his choice of words. He sounds confident like he wants to be the starter and I think that is one thing that we are lacking. One of the backs to step up and act like they want it. Being humble is nice, but going out with some passion and authority is what is needed.

Hulk75
09-21-2006, 07:27 AM
Gado NEEDS to be the starter that kid can run.

HoustonFan
09-21-2006, 07:40 AM
Give the start to Gado, Dayne, then Wali. I just think Wali needs more size to him. That size made a bit of a difference Sunday.

RiotCommander
09-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Its not Wali's size. Its never really about how small they are its how big they run. You can be a smaller running back, and still get it done in this league. Its been proven over and over. He is a fast back, but he shies away from contact, and goes down too easily. I expect that can be coached out of him. Just don't expect to see suddenly change over night.

MasterBasser
09-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Reggie really isnt that small, he is only a few pounds lighter then AP of Lawrence Maronney, but its the way he runs that makes the differance. AP looks like he wants to hit you Earl Campbell style, while Reggie, well, Reggie is Reggie.:chicken:

Maroney is 220lbs! Reggie is 205lbs and they say he is maxed on the weight he can put on. His frame just can't produce much more muscle. He is already ripped. Petterson is 225lbs.

Garret Wolfe is a talent no doubt. He may be one of the best Rb's in college but that doesn't mean anything in the pro's. There are alot of great college players (Heisman trophy winners) that are not cut out for the NFL. Because of his small size he won't be drafted on the first day.

HOU-TEX
09-21-2006, 10:31 AM
This is what coach Kub had to say about the RB situation for now.

(on who will start at RB) “No, we’ll decide that as the week goes through. It will probably be (RB) Wali (Lundy) or (RB) Ronnie (Dayne), on of those two.”

Personally, I'm hoping he's leaning towards starting Dayne. I have not liked the way Lundy has hit the holes and being tackled too easy.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2903&section=N%20Latest%20News

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-21-2006, 12:18 PM
My guess as well between Gado & Dayne, against the skins........hopefully we can move the ball this week.........

DayneBum
09-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Dayne should start and finish the game. Give the man 25-30 carries and watch him rumble. Let Gado get about 8 touches to spare. i dont think he has grasp the playbook and zone blocking scheme all that well. He id pretty good last week. Had a nice 20t run in garbage time and i think he'll be a great 1-2 punch. dayne needs his carries, the guy gets better and better as the game goes on and the more touches he gets. He's the only rb that knows the offense the best, and he's also the only rb to put the most numbers in this type of offense in football history. remember this is the same exact offense he ran in college. So give him the ball and watch the results u get..........

HOU-TEX
09-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Dayne should start and finish the game. Give the man 25-30 carries and watch him rumble. Let Gado get about 8 touches to spare. i dont think he has grasp the playbook and zone blocking scheme all that well. He id pretty good last week. Had a nice 20t run in garbage time and i think he'll be a great 1-2 punch. dayne needs his carries, the guy gets better and better as the game goes on and the more touches he gets. He's the only rb that knows the offense the best, and he's also the only rb to put the most numbers in this type of offense in football history. remember this is the same exact offense he ran in college. So give him the ball and watch the results u get..........

:confused: Huh? Can you show proof of this? I'm not trying to be an arse, but that statement seems kind of bold considering he couldn't break into the starting role in Denver.

DayneBum
09-22-2006, 08:09 AM
:confused: Huh? Can you show proof of this? I'm not trying to be an arse, but that statement seems kind of bold considering he couldn't break into the starting role in Denver.

its a known fact till this day, that Dayne still holds the NCAA rushing record. He has over 7000t rushing yards, running in this same exact zone-blocking scheme that Denver, Atlanta, and now Texans run. No one has beat or accomplished what he has done in this ofense. He got injured back on Aug 10th, and played no preseason games or the season opener this year. He was out with turf toe. Now had he not suffered the injury, he wouldve been the starter for the Denver Broncos. But due to the fact that 10-12 carries a game Tatum, and practice hero mike bell, did fairly well in the preseason. Dayne was the odd man out. It was an unfortunate situation, but hey, what r u going to do. It doesnt really matter anyway, b/c he's still running the same offense if he wasnt let go....so give him the 25-30 carries that he needs, and lets watch him rumble.:thankyou:

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 08:44 AM
its a known fact till this day, that Dayne still holds the NCAA rushing record. He has over 7000t rushing yards, running in this same exact zone-blocking scheme that Denver, Atlanta, and now Texans run. No one has beat or accomplished what he has done in this ofense. He got injured back on Aug 10th, and played no preseason games or the season opener this year. He was out with turf toe. Now had he not suffered the injury, he wouldve been the starter for the Denver Broncos. But due to the fact that 10-12 carries a game Tatum, and practice hero mike bell, did fairly well in the preseason. Dayne was the odd man out. It was an unfortunate situation, but hey, what r u going to do. It doesnt really matter anyway, b/c he's still running the same offense if he wasnt let go....so give him the 25-30 carries that he needs, and lets watch him rumble.:thankyou:

I honestly thought Denver was more impressed with him than Tatum Bell last year. Them making RonDayne the starter going into preseason pretty much confirmed it.

But for Mike Bell to leapfrog both Dayne & Bell..... tells me he's pretty special. Tatum still being billed as the second running back tells me there is something about him that puts them off..... he's played better than Mike Bell in both games so far this year...

DayneBum
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
I honestly thought Denver was more impressed with him than Tatum Bell last year. Them making RonDayne the starter going into preseason pretty much confirmed it.

But for Mike Bell to leapfrog both Dayne & Bell..... tells me he's pretty special. Tatum still being billed as the second running back tells me there is something about him that puts them off..... he's played better than Mike Bell in both games so far this year...

it still doesnt make any sense. Dayne avg over 5pc last year with them, and sigle hadley won 2 of the most important games for them last year. He gets injured and cant do anything about it but get treatment, misses all preseason, but with them believeing that they can stick whoever back there and they wil run for 1000, Dayne was cut and odd man out. They didn have to do that. They just had re-signed him to a multi-year deal , to cut him.....oesnt make any sense, but hey its the nature of the buisness. i'm glad to see he's a Texan, and i hope the Broncos regret every minute of it. Had dayne not gotten hurt, he would be in Denver starting right now as we speak.

real
09-22-2006, 09:32 AM
it still doesnt make any sense. Dayne avg over 5pc last year with them, and sigle hadley won 2 of the most important games for them last year. He gets injured and cant do anything about it but get treatment, misses all preseason, but with them believeing that they can stick whoever back there and they wil run for 1000, Dayne was cut and odd man out. They didn have to do that. They just had re-signed him to a multi-year deal , to cut him.....oesnt make any sense, but hey its the nature of the buisness. i'm glad to see he's a Texan, and i hope the Broncos regret every minute of it. Had dayne not gotten hurt, he would be in Denver starting right now as we speak.

Maybe Shanahan did Kubiak a favor...

El Tejano
09-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Alot of the fans from Denver posted over here saying there were times when the fans wanted to see more of Dayne because they thought he was the guy that best fit the system and showed the most production.

thunderkyss
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Maybe Shanahan did Kubiak a favor...

That's what I think.........

Same with Gado....

No reason to cut either player.