PDA

View Full Version : Titans Trade Volek

TEXANS84
09-19-2006, 12:52 PM
The San Diego Chargers have agreed to send an undisclosed draft pick to the Tennessee Titans in exchange for quarterback Billy Volek, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reported that the Chargers had offered a sixth-round choice; the Titans were asking for a fifth-rounder in exchange for Volek. The two teams had been discussing a trade for a couple weeks until both agreed to wait until after Sunday's matchup between the teams because the Titans didn't want to move Volek to a team they were playing two weeks into the season.

Conversations resumed Monday with hopes of reaching a quick resolution.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2593817

HOU-TEX
09-19-2006, 01:49 PM

The two teams had been discussing a trade for a couple weeks until both agreed to wait until after Sunday's matchup between the teams because the Titans didn't want to move Volek to a team they were playing two weeks into the season

I'm not sure why this makes a difference. It's not like Volek would even see the field anyways. Oh well, whatever.:rolleyes:

TEXANS84
09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure why this makes a difference. It's not like Volek would even see the field anyways. Oh well, whatever.:rolleyes:

Volek would have known the Titans playbook.

torontooilfan
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
They have a playbook?

More like the world's smallest leaflet.

Sigh, it sucks to root for a terrible team at the moment.

texan279
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Bud has lost whatever he had left of his mind. With the way Collins and Vince have struggled to date, if one of them goes down the tacks will be even worse off than they are now. I thought Volek should have been the starter on opening day but that is just MO.

Don'tHate
09-19-2006, 02:28 PM
I am calling it now, the Titans will be the basement dwellers of the division this year :fortune:

TheOgre
09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I am calling it now, the Titans will be the basement dwellers of the division this year :fortune:

So we will be 5-11/4-12 and the Titans will be 4-12/3-13? Call the press.

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
So we will be 5-11/4-12 and the Titans will be 4-12/3-13? Call the press.

The one after 909

Blake
09-19-2006, 03:33 PM
That's what I was thinking. That guy is saying the Titans will be a bottomdweller, I literally laughed out loud...I mean it's definitely possible, but to hear it from a Texans fan is just funny. Maybe that's his way of denial.

Im pretty sure dont hate is a Jags fan.

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Im pretty sure dont hate is a Jags fan.

Damn, didn't notice that, thanks. Will edit...

Blake
09-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I as well thought that Volek should have started this year. And I think that the whole "Im leaving because im not starting" line is crap. This dude went to a team where he is the back up perminantly. He just wants a superbowl ring. Plain and simple. So much for starting...

Rosewood
09-19-2006, 04:36 PM

I'm happy for Volek because he is a pretty good QB...although he did get traded to the wrong team..River wont be moving anytime soon...he should have pushed for oakland..

GuerillaBlack
09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
And who was the QB who had a rating of 1.3 this past Sunday? Why would they keep him.

real
09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
"The funny thing is, to this day, I still don't know why I am not starting (for the Titans)," Volek said. "The only thing that I can think of is I was kind of a scapegoat for the offense, not putting up 40-50 points in the preseason…If you want to point the finger at me, point the finger at me. I am fine with that. But let me know why I am not playing, and that never happened here. No one told me. Yes, I leave with some bitterness. But I am trying to think of the good times."

http://www.kffl.com/transactions.php/NFL

They shafted this man...

gwallaia
09-20-2006, 02:36 PM
So the Titans only have two QB's on the roster now?

Brandon420tx
09-20-2006, 02:53 PM
"The funny thing is, to this day, I still don't know why I am not starting (for the Titans)," Volek said. "The only thing that I can think of is I was kind of a scapegoat for the offense, not putting up 40-50 points in the preseason…If you want to point the finger at me, point the finger at me. I am fine with that. But let me know why I am not playing, and that never happened here. No one told me. Yes, I leave with some bitterness. But I am trying to think of the good times."

http://www.kffl.com/transactions.php/NFL

They shafted this man...

After what they did to McNair are you surprised?

Don'tHate
09-20-2006, 03:45 PM
My post was supposed to be sarcastic...guess it was lost on some of you :lightbulb:

real
09-20-2006, 03:55 PM

You're a Jacksontown fan....and you say the Titans will be bottom dwellers...yeah...dripping with sarcasm....:rolleyes:

FILO_girl
09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
My post was supposed to be sarcastic...guess it was lost on some of you :lightbulb:
Lost on some, over here? :sarcasm:

Hey chick! Long time no see!

AustinJB
09-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I think this whole thing just means the Titans are getting rid of a guy that is bitter about not being the starter and could possibly be a cancer in the locker room....it means VY is about to begin his baptism by fire and can concentrate on gaining the team's confidence w/out having someone look over his shoulder.

texan279
09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I think this whole thing just means the Titans are getting rid of a guy that is bitter about not being the starter and could possibly be a cancer in the locker room....it means VY is about to begin his baptism by fire and can concentrate on gaining the team's confidence w/out having someone look over his shoulder.

I see what you are saying but I still think Volek should have been the starter at the beginning of the season. If he was that bitter about not being a starter I mean he's going to a team where he is going to ride the pine anyway.

TexanSam
09-20-2006, 11:58 PM
I think the Titans should just throw Vince Young into the fire. He's probably not ready to start, but the way the Titans have started the season, it's obvious they aren't going to be contenders. They might as well give Vince Young as much experience as he can get.

texan279
09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5985494

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Coach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.

The Titans finally traded Volek on Tuesday to the San Diego Chargers for a sixth-round draft pick that could become a fifth-rounder depending on playing time. Fisher said Volek asked to be traded the day the Titans signed Kerry Collins late last month.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

It was unprecedented public criticism by Fisher, who repeatedly has protected his players.

Volek inherited the quarterback job when the Titans traded Steve McNair to Baltimore in June, and Fisher claimed it was in the first week after Volek was made the starter during the offseason that the quarterback lied to the coach.

Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

Texans_Chick
09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
More about the lie will come out on Sunday: link (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/)

The hosts asked Mortensen what he thinks of the ongoing feud between Fisher and his recently demoted, then departed, quarterback, Billy Volek. Mortensen said Fisher had lost all trust in Volek when Volek lied to the coach. Mortensen then added, "I know what the lie is," but he said we'd have to wait 72 hours to find out the details when he reports about it on Sunday NFL Countdown

In any event, the most interesting tidbit on Mortensen's appearance was that Fisher never wanted the Titans to trade Steve McNair in the first place. You've got to wonder who's calling the shots in the Titans' front office. If the coach wants McNair, and the Titans just spent the third pick in the draft on a guy who could learn a lot from McNair (both came out of college as good athletes who needed to learn a pro-style passing game) why, exactly, did they trade McNair?

SheTexan
09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Has that bald headed BUD smell to me!!

Double Barrel
09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
More about the lie will come out on Sunday: link (http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/)

I'll be tailgating, so hopefully someone will watch it and post the juicy details accordingly.

Cruuuuuuuz
09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
HAHAHAHA! Man the Old Oilers are a mess! Makes me glad to be a TEXANS fan! We got our problems, but atleast we have the potential to get better...
I feel sorry for VY though, cuz overall that team is the worst possible situation for him....

Tulip
09-22-2006, 04:47 PM
I think I heard that the lie was that Volek was asked to meet with Fisher (and maybe Reese) at the team facility early this summer. He lied and told them that he was out of town and could not make it. They found out that he was in town when he said he wasn't.

Dr. Toro
09-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Deep down I think Volek was shown the door because they didn't want to open up a Brees-Rivers, Kitna-Palmer type situation that creates controversy and makes things more difficult for VY and the fans. Volek being a jerk, which multiple sources have suggested (McClain via Carr, Fisher, Mort, etc) probably didn't help the situation. If he was a good teammate and mature player Collins never would have been brought in, and Volek might have gotten a year or two to prove himself and earn his next contract and a starting gig.

I really believe they brought Collins in to be a straw man for VY to outperform. Collins stinking so mightily absolves Fisher of any guilt if VY gets the starting gig too soon, and it gives him an excuse for a bad team this year. Fisher is trying to keep his job, and develop the Titans for 2007, he knows this year is lost. It's a tricky thing to do... but getting VY out on the field and showing late season success with VY means he'll be given another year or two to turn it around.

NEROtheZERO
09-23-2006, 11:55 AM
This kind of stuff from Fisher is unprecedented, I am pretty sure the Titans have something going on comparable to what Oakland is going through. Our defense might not exist but at least our problems stay on the field. I don't think there is any way to compare the Texans and Titans. The Titans will be lucky to match our win total from last year.