PDA

View Full Version : Interesting defensive fact......

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Heard this fact this morning on 610 on the drive into work. OK, we have the 32nd ranked defense, but who have we played? We played the Eagles and the Colts, top tier talent in the league. Who has the 31st ranked defense? Give up........ the Giants. What do we have in common with them? We both have played the Eagles & the Colts for our first two games. Yes, I know the giants pulled out a last second W against the Eagles, but they are further along than we are at this stage. The Giants D is a good system and if these two teams have made them look that bad statistically, then maybe we aren't as horrendous as we have appeared these last two weeks. Keep your heads up guys, it can only go up from here and I have faith it will. :wild:

Mr. White
09-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Good post. I'm glad to hear another angle besides "we suck just because."

mancunian
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Heard this fact this morning on 610 on the drive into work. OK, we have the 32nd ranked defense, but who have we played? We played the Eagles and the Colts, top tier talent in the league. Who has the 31st ranked defense? Give up........ the Giants. What do we have in common with them? We both have played the Eagles & the Colts for our first two games. Yes, I know the giants pulled out a last second W against the Eagles, but they are further along than we are at this stage. The Giants D is a good system and if these two teams have made them look that bad statistically, then maybe we aren't as horrendous as we have appeared these last two weeks. Keep your heads up guys, it can only go up from here and I have faith it will. :wild:

you must be a glass is half full kinda guy, me too. Do you know waht the break down is in terms of defence rankings v pass and v run?

My guess is we're middle of the pack against the run but dead last against the pass. 700 yards against too pass happy teams.......

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Good post. I'm glad to hear another angle besides "we suck just because."

Thanks man, just trying to stay positive and look for something we can build off of. We still have 14 more games to go and I think we won't look near as out of position as we have. Those two teams can make anyone look bad.

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
you must be a glass is half full kinda guy, me too. Do you know waht the break down is in terms of defence rankings v pass and v run?

My guess is we're middle of the pack against the run but dead last against the pass. 700 yards against too pass happy teams.......

No, I don't have that stat yet, but I'll try to pull it up somewhere when I get some time. I would think we are middle of the pack too against the run and I agree with you on the passing yards as well.

real
09-19-2006, 08:54 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-TOTAL/2006/regular?sort_col_1=4

You might want to check again...We're last....BUT the Giants are not second to last....

texan279
09-19-2006, 08:56 AM

You might want to check again...We're last....BUT the Giants are not second to last....

Only thing I found was that we are last in pass defense and the Giants are second to last in pass defense.

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Yeah, I see that. Hmmm, like I said I heard that on 610 this morning from the broadcasters. Still, those stats would have them at 29th and I know that their defense is still better than what it shows on that spreadsheet. Their numbers aren't much better than ours and I would bet that if we didn't play the top 2 passing teams that we wouldn't be near the bottom of that list, probably middle of the list at worst. :twocents:

feebleminded
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM

Wow, what really stands out is that we are allowing a 68% conversion rate on 3rd down. OUCH

real
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Here's an interesting fact:

I don't know if you knew this but...If you have the means go back and watch the Colts game...Mario would have had his first sack when Manning slid down, but he jumped over him and greenwood came in and touched him and got credit for the sack...Rookie Mistake...

1-10-IND18 (14:55) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 18 for 0 yards (M.Greenwood).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060917_HOU@IND

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Wow, what really stands out is that we are allowing a 68% conversion rate on 3rd down. OUCH

Yeah, I see all of those stats and all you can do is try to chalk it up to great teams that had our number! Hopefully this week against the Redskins we will look more like the team we had this preseason and get after them in a huge way. We have to keep looking forward and get some steam in this machine......:bananasplit:

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Here's an interesting fact:

I don't know if you knew this but...If you have the means go back and watch the Colts game...Mario would have had his first sack when Manning slid down, but he jumped over him and greenwood came in and touched him and got credit for the sack...Rookie Mistake...

1-10-IND18 (14:55) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 18 for 0 yards (M.Greenwood).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060917_HOU@IND

Nice find XTR, I didn't notice that in the game and I never rewatched it.....too painful. :crying:

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
How long does it take to make you move up statistically? I ask that because if we play great these next two games (which I think we will because we now have something to prove to ourselves as a team, moreso than to anyone else) and we don't allow a lot of yards against two struggling offenses, can we be middle of the pack after week 4 going into the bye? I know it depends a lot on other teams play, just curious about the stat column though. In all seriousness though, I would take dead last in all columns if we still end up with 8-8 or 7-9. :homer:

NJ Texan
09-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm excited about the Washington game because I might actually have a chance to watch it.

thunderkyss
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM

If it weren't for your avatar, I'd look forward to your posts......
Great post though.

But you make it soundlike we didn't have a chance in the Philly game.. we were 4 yards away from Carr putting the team on his shoulders, and winning us that game.

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
If it weren't for your avatar, I'd look forward to your posts......
Great post though.

But you make it soundlike we didn't have a chance in the Philly game.. we were 4 yards away from Carr putting the team on his shoulders, and winning us that game.

You don't like my avatar? lol.. I'll see what I can do about that. No, I seriously thought we had a chance in the Philly game, it just didn't turn out that way in the end. I had a feeling we would be 0-2 in my gut and if we weren't it would just be icing on the cake. It's not so much that we lost, it's the way we lost both games that I feel may hamper the defensive moral on this team. They have 2 options at this point, they can go out their with a chip on their shoulder and show everyone that they are not as bad as the stats show or they can walk around with their heads down and wait for next season. I prefer option #1, we are only 2 games into the season and anything can happen. :shades:

real
09-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Nice find XTR, I didn't notice that in the game and I never rewatched it.....too painful. :crying:

Im pretty sure that it was pointed out to him when watching the film...I can almost gaurantee a sack vs. the redskins......After knowing how close he was to having his first sack, and what could have been....I know he is going to come out like all hell on wheels....

And I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the D-line played differently against the Eagles...They were trying to stay in their lanes to make sure McNabb didn't scramble...thats why they weren't rushing as hard as they did in the Colts game...but some of you probably already knew that...:shades:

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Im pretty sure that it was pointed out to him when watching the film...I can almost gaurantee a sack vs. the redskins......After knowing how close he was to having his first sack, and what could have been....I know he is going to come out like all hell on wheels....

And I was listening to the radio yesterday, and the D-line played differently against the Eagles...They were trying to stay in their lanes to make sure McNabb didn't scramble...thats why they weren't rushing as hard as they did in the Colts game...but some of you probably already knew that...:shades:

Yeah, I had heard that after the game. It did work, McNabb didn't have many rushing yards that game at all IIRC.

HOU-TEX
09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I had heard that after the game. It did work, McNabb didn't have many rushing yards that game at all IIRC.

Considering he was very rarely pressured. Why would he even attempt to run? He was nice and comfy sitting in the pocket going through every one of his progressions. I'm still waiting for the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I think we've got the talent on the front seven. I guess it's a matter of learning to work together.:)

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Considering he was very rarely pressured. Why would he even attempt to run? He was nice and comfy sitting in the pocket going through every one of his progressions. I'm still waiting for the improvement on the defensive side of the ball. I think we've got the talent on the front seven. I guess it's a matter of learning to work together.:)

I don't know about that. There were times where he had to throw the ball away IIRC, and normally he would have tried to scramble. Either way, the outcome was still the same whether we stayed home to spy or if we brought the house on the blitz. They had our number and new how to pick us apart. But, I do remember hearing our coaches say that they were trying to get pressure with the D-line only and until they can get that pressure then they were not going to start really bringing the blitz. I am assuming that they want to see what the players are made up of on their own and if you think about it, it does make sense in a way. When you bring a blitz, you want your D-line to tie up their O-line leaving free space for your line backers to run through and get to the QB. Now if our line can't tie up theirs and we bring the heat, we now have less help in the secondary than we would have if we had dropped that line backer into coverage. It's a gamble that pays off sometimes and bites you in the butt the other.

HOU-TEX
09-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know about that. There were times where he had to throw the ball away IIRC, and normally he would have tried to scramble. Either way, the outcome was still the same whether we stayed home to spy or if we brought the house on the blitz. They had our number and new how to pick us apart. But, I do remember hearing our coaches say that they were trying to get pressure with the D-line only and until they can get that pressure then they were not going to start really bringing the blitz. I am assuming that they want to see what the players are made up of on their own and if you think about it, it does make sense in a way. When you bring a blitz, you want your D-line to tie up their O-line leaving free space for your line backers to run through and get to the QB. Now if our line can't tie up theirs and we bring the heat, we now have less help in the secondary than we would have if we had dropped that line backer into coverage. It's a gamble that pays off sometimes and bites you in the butt the other.

That's very true in theory. IIRC, most of the blitzes we ran were picked up easily against both the Colts and Eagles. If you saw the Pitt and J-ville game last night you'd be pissed about how different thier defenses appear to ours. Both Pitt and J-villes defenses were all over the place. They had everything going: speed, toughness and thier blitzes were somewhat successful almost everytime. That's the Defense I want to see in Houston. Right now the intensity and aggressiveness that I saw last night is not here in Houston, yet.:twocents:

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
That's very true in theory. IIRC, most of the blitzes we ran were picked up easily against both the Colts and Eagles. If you saw the Pitt and J-ville game last night you'd be pissed about how different thier defenses appear to ours. Both Pitt and J-villes defenses were all over the place. They had everything going: speed, toughness and thier blitzes were somewhat successful almost everytime. That's the Defense I want to see in Houston. Right now the intensity and aggressiveness that I saw last night is not here in Houston, yet.:twocents:

Oh, I saw the game last night and watched their D's perform with envy. The thing is though, both teams were built for defensive performace and they didn't get that way overnight. I think that we will get to a respectable place, with regards to our defense, within the next few seasons. We are in a "major" reshaping stage of this franchise with the switch to the 4-3 and the changing of personnel from coaches to players across the board. It will take time, Rome wasn't built in a day either.

HOU-TEX
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh, I saw the game last night and watched their D's perform with envy. The thing is though, both teams were built for defensive performace and they didn't get that way overnight. I think that we will get to a respectable place, with regards to our defense, within the next few seasons. We are in a "major" reshaping stage of this franchise with the switch to the 4-3 and the changing of personnel from coaches to players across the board. It will take time, Rome wasn't built in a day either.

I understand it's going to take a little time. That's why I ended the paragraph with a "Yet". I'm just looking for improvement, thus far I haven't seen it on defense.

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I understand it's going to take a little time. That's why I ended the paragraph with a "Yet". I'm just looking for improvement, thus far I haven't seen it on defense.

I know TEX, but hopefully it will start to show this week against Washington. Look on the bright side, we can only show improvement. You can't slip any lower than # 32 in the stats so all we can do is go up. (I know that isn't very comforting to hear)

HOU-TEX
09-19-2006, 10:57 AM
I know TEX, but hopefully it will start to show this week against Washington. Look on the bright side, we can only show improvement. You can't slip any lower than # 32 in the stats so all we can do is go up. (I know that isn't very comforting to hear)

LOL, Yea I guess that's true. Let us all bow our heads and pray for constant pressure on Brunell and Culpepper.:redtowel:

Double Barrel
09-19-2006, 04:15 PM
We were one of the worst defenses in the league last year, and nothing from these first two games leads me to believe that we're any better.

Washington & Miami are both 0-2 teams with problems, so we'll have a better picture of our defense after these two games are played.

I'd like to say that I have high hopes, but I would be lying. I'm not impressed with Richard Smith's overall defense in any way.

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
We were one of the worst defenses in the league last year, and nothing from these first two games leads me to believe that we're any better.

Washington & Miami are both 0-2 teams with problems, so we'll have a better picture of our defense after these two games are played.

I'd like to say that I have high hopes, but I would be lying. I'm not impressed with Richard Smith's overall defense in any way.

I know where you are coming from, but I don't think we will be anywhere as horrendous as we were defensively or offensively the last 2 years. Do I think we will be the same defensive unit that single-handedly beat the Steelers a few years ago? Absolutely not, but I think we will atleast be able to hang with teams that are around our skill level. We will be able to build from there in the next few seasons and hopefully turn into a respectable force. :fireball: :bowser:

Vinny
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
We are giving up close to 100 yards more per game than the Giants. Don't cheer me up like this.

oye

Cjeremy635
09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
We are giving up close to 100 yards more per game than the Giants. Don't cheer me up like this.

oye

I know that, but I am still curious where we would be if we didn't play two of the top NFL teams. Ofcourse we can all wonder if we'd be 2-0 right now if we played Tennessee & Oakland as well and revel in the glory for a few more days. :redtowel:

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
09-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm excited about the Washington game because I might actually have a chance to watch it.

No MIGHT ACTUALLY here I WILL FINIALLY GET TO SEE THE TEXANS GAME. too bad it will be the only one all year.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
09-19-2006, 04:45 PM

DB Just a question would you rather give Smith more time or would you rather bring back Capers?(the way the Fins are playing he might be looking for a job real soon)

dat_boy_yec
09-19-2006, 04:51 PM
DB Just a question would you rather give Smith more time or would you rather bring back Capers?(the way the Fins are playing he might be looking for a job real soon)

You bastard, I almost threw up in my mouth as I read that suggestion. Ca.... I know that question wasn't directed at me, but that shouldn't even be an option. Just seeing that name gave me horrible flashbacks.

Double Barrel
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Of course give Smith more time. The entire season, IMO. Firing coaches during the season is a recipe for implosion, and I still have a sliver of hope that this team will find itself with a sincere gut check and come out to play four hard-nosed quarters of football.

But let's see what Smith can do with an entire season, because it will either gel at some point, or he'll be revealed to be a poor d-coordinator.

And please, let's never bring Capers back. He is history with the Texans.