PDA

View Full Version : Derick Armstrong signs with ...

Grizzled
09-19-2006, 01:19 AM
... the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL. I’m surprised he didn’t wait longer to see if some NFL team would pick him up as an injury replacement perhaps, but he’s going to a team that needs him now and he’ll get a chance to start and to have a lot of balls come his way starting next week. He knows the CFL and he knows the Bombers starting QB as he played with him in Saskatchewan, so he should be able to contribute very quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back in the NFL next year, though, if he has some good success over the last part of this season. I know there are quite a few Armstrong fans here and I thought you might like to know what he’s up to. :)
http://www.ourbombers.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=3866&sid=01146fa45393388c11ff8465fbdce269

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 02:33 AM
Best of luck to Derrick, he was a great player and person............

hot pickle
09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
thats awesome i live in winnipeg (for the time being, untill june) hope hes a starter, ill give yall an update when he starts playin

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 09:21 AM
thats awesome i live in winnipeg (for the time being, untill june) hope hes a starter, ill give yall an update when he starts playin

Yes please keep us posted, Derrick has great hands, I was sad to see him leave Houston, all the best to him.........:shades:

hot pickle
09-19-2006, 09:47 AM
and they got the one and only kwami cavil last month

this guy is such a joke, lol

kbourda
09-20-2006, 12:46 AM
and they got the one and only kwami cavil last month

this guy is such a joke, lol

My brother-in-iaw has season tickets to Bomber games. I'm glad for DA. I hoped he would have stayed here. I wish him all the best in Winter-peg.

Grizzled
09-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Former Texans Garrick Jones and Albert Johnson III are now with Winnipeg too. There are actually quite a few names on their roster that you might recognise. http://www.bluebombers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=14

Note that the N/I column shows whether the player is an non-import or an import player. About half of a CFL team has to be made up of non-imports, (which means essentially that they had to live in Canada for 5 years between the ages of 0 and 15), and most of these players will have gone to Canadian schools that you won’t have heard of, but some of the non-imports and most of the Americans will have gone to US schools and a number of them will be players you’ll recognise right away. Former Heisman runner up Brad Banks is on this team, as is college QB great Ryan Dinwiddie. Scott Regimbald is a Canadian kid who played for the Houston Cougars as a TE for 4 years, and there are probably others you many recognise too.

real
09-20-2006, 12:10 PM
97 Doug Brown DT N 6-8" 292
29-Sep-74 Simon Fraser

That is a tall DT...

Grizzled
09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
That is a tall DT...

Yeah, he played for the Redskins in the late 90s, so you may remember him from that time. He had an 8 tackle game once against the Eagles. He’s a Canadian and Simon Fraser University is in Vancouver BC.

Farough
09-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Good to see he's at least getting a shot to keep playing football, even if it's not in the NFL.

AustinJB
09-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Former Texans Garrick Jones and Albert Johnson III are now with Winnipeg too.

I'm not ragging on Armstrong b/c I liked him too, but it's just a little funny (as in sad) that some of our former players can't find a place on another NFL team and can only make it in the CFL....ouch.

SheTexan
09-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I guess he has his reasons for going CFL. I wish him the best of luck wherever his football career might take him.

Keep us posted if you will. I would like to keep up with his career.

blockhead83
09-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Best of luck to him, I always liked him. Hopefully he gets alot more PT up there.

Goldeagle
09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
All he did was play hard and make the tough catches. Now I have no clue who our 3rd WR is.

best of luck to him

Cruuuuuuuz
09-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I liked Armstrong. I thought him and Carr clicked pretty well, still dont know why he's not a Texan instead of Walters.

edo783
09-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Good luck to him. Always like him. It would help if some of his catching ability would rub off on AJ. The guy didn't seem to ever miss a catch.

TheOgre
09-22-2006, 09:05 AM
So that is what happened to Quentin McCord.

Grizzled
09-22-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm not ragging on Armstrong b/c I liked him too, but it's just a little funny (as in sad) that some of our former players can't find a place on another NFL team and can only make it in the CFL....ouch.

He signed a contract for $150,000 and, while I agree that that’s not NFL money, there are a lot of jobs that don’t pay 150k for 6 months work.

There are a lot of reason why players come and stay in the CFL, though. The biggest reason is that the rules are quite different and different kinds of players are better suited to each game, but in Armstrong’s case he has a game the suits both the CFL and the NFL games. There is a big lifestyle difference too, for a number of different reasons. Here’s a recent quote from someone you may have heard of before on that difference, some guy named Ricky Williams:

"If you want to live and be happy and be around good people, play in the CFL," said Williams, who has rushed for 231 yards on 57 carries in his brief career in three-down football. "If you want to make money, be in the NFL."
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2006/09/15/1843850-sun.html

There are a lot of players who had the right kind of game for the NFL who stayed in the CFL or came back to the CFL for this reason, and I would bet that this was a big reason Armstrong came back so quickly. Note that he has stated that he’d like to try the NFL again next year, however. I suspect he came back because he knew that with Winnipeg he’d get a chance to play and he knew he’d have a lot of fun here as well, but at the end of the day the NFL money will draw him back for another shot. When he’s done with the NFL he’ll be back in the CFL I’m sure, where he’ll probably be able to play until perhaps his mid 30s. It wouldn’t surprise me if Ricky comes back after he pays off his debt to the Dolphins either. His game is not that well suited to the CFL style game but because he’s so good at what he does I think he’d still be in the top 3 or 4 backs here, in spite of not being a prototypical CFL RB.