PDA

View Full Version : Manning's read of the defense

Line_Producer
09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Good Eveing All,
Just a quick question. As I was watching yesterday's game, I noticed that Manning was calling out instructions up and down the line whenever he stepped up. I was wondering what exactly he would have been calling out. I'm assuming that he was reading the defense and trying to exploit holes, but I've never seen such an animated quarterback before. :hmmm:

Anyway, thanks for the help.

-Wil

NATHANHALE
09-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Good Eveing All,
Just a quick question. As I was watching yesterday's game, I noticed that Manning was calling out instructions up and down the line whenever he stepped up. I was wondering what exactly he would have been calling out. I'm assuming that he was reading the defense and trying to exploit holes, but I've never seen such an animated quarterback before. :hmmm:

-Wil

That is Manning's 'trademark,' and he has been doing it for a long time. Some times he is reading the defense and calling plays or changing a play or re-aligning someone or just trying to confuse or throw off the defense....other QBs do it too but not with Peyton's animation.

Txn_in_Oki
09-18-2006, 08:50 PM
People can talk all they want him being a crybaby, but when Manning is on the field he has total control of that offense.

May not like him but gotta respect him as a QB.

TEXANS84
09-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm still confused as to why the Offensive Coordinator of the Colts has not been offered a job yet.

Oh yeah, nevermind. He's the starting quarterback.

OzzO
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm still confused as to why the Offensive Coordinator of the Colts has not been offered a job yet.

Oh yeah, nevermind. He's the starting quarterback.

Ha, I was thinking that as well when they showed the Colts OC on the sideline with the playsheet. I was thinking "now there's a cush job".

Oh, and LP - he wasn't calling plays, he was doing his next Sunday ticket commercial explaining how the viewer could switch to another game and watch what Buffalo was doing to Miami..... :tease:

Line_Producer
09-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Oh, and LP - he wasn't calling plays, he was doing his next Sunday ticket commercial explaining how the viewer could switch to another game and watch what Buffalo was doing to Miami..... :tease:

Seriously, I lmfao cause I couldn't get that retarded commercial out of my head everytime he was gesticulating.

-wil

TheCD
09-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Peyton has said in the past that a lot of those signals and "audibles" you see are just dummy calls designed to make the defense second guess itself.

ColtsFan in CA
09-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Good Eveing All,

-Wil
just a quick FYI...Peyton is calling out the protections to the lineman and he is also calling out which defensive guy is in what formation. He is basically reading the D knowing which package they are in and letting our O know what is happening. This is where all his studying of film comes into play. He watches film of your defense (usually for the last three seasons) and he recognizes what formation you are in based on past play. He sometime will watch film of college games on certain players if he does not have enough film from the pros.
The play is usually called in what we call the muddle huddle (when they are all milling around)

See you guys in a few weeks
I am sorry to hear about your player who went down, I know he is most likely out and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Texans86
09-18-2006, 11:49 PM
I've heard rumor that he actually goes to the line of scrimmage with more than one play (2-3) on every down and reads the defense and chooses which one to play from there. I don't know if he actually does that, but it looks like he is calling out defensive players and there is probably a lot of "acting" in his audibles. Every time he goes up to the line, he is moving is arms and yelling at all of his players, so either he calls every play at the line, or is just trying to show his players what they should look for. I personally think he is the smartest quarterback in the game, but that's just me.

dtran04
09-18-2006, 11:53 PM
It's actually well known that he gets 3 plays: run right, run left, pass. Of course then he can change the pass play so basically he calls his own plays.

ColtsFan in CA
09-19-2006, 12:00 AM
It's actually well known that he gets 3 plays: run right, run left, pass. Of course then he can change the pass play so basically he calls his own plays.
This has changed a bit in the last 2 seasons. He is more free to do anything he wants. I have heard Tom Moore(OC) telling him the gameplan and what they want to accomplish but Peyton has the ability to utilize any play in the playbook.
He reads the defense and then calls whatever play would best take advantage of that defense.
Which is why you must disguise your defense in order to confuse him. Show blitz and at the last minute pull back after he commits to the blitz...such as SD and Pitts did last season