PDA

View Full Version : Play calling

amazingandre
09-18-2006, 05:35 PM
week 2 and we still dont use the 2 best players on offense as we should. what do you think should change in our play-calling?

ronaldod1
09-18-2006, 05:59 PM
the first two options would produce nothing but "three and outs."

throwing deep is too low percentage, and the running game is weak.

hollywood_texan
09-18-2006, 06:17 PM
I think the play calling is the biggest problem on the offensive side of the ball.

It looks like small portion of the offense is installed, which why Kubiak called that naked bootleg on the first play.

Kubiak is really stuck. Until he starts calling plays to use the entire part of the field, Carr is going to have protection problems and the running game is going to be tough to get going. Meanwhile, he doesn't have faith in the personnel to execute the plays he wants. I heard last week they had horrible practices leading up to Indy.

But, it seems as though Kubiak just needs to install more of the offense, make the right call, and then see what happens. If someone screws up, then you have something fix.

Bottom line is, defenses know what the Texans offense is going to do.

Doesn't this sound famaliar with Capers? It's time to take the training wheels off...

gtexan02
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
The playcalling really isn't the issue. Look at teams like the Eagles, Cowboys, Redkins, Bucanneers, Raiders, Vikings, etc. They all have great dep threats, but how often do they just heave it up and hope? Not that often. Maybe once or twice a game.

its a low percentage play, that requires precise route running, a very accurate pass, a lot of ttime in the pocket, and luck that the offensive player is actually the one coming down with the ball.

RiotCommander
09-18-2006, 06:32 PM
We may want to consider going no-huddle more often. For some reason Carr does better when he doesn't have a lot of time to over think what he is doing. I was never really a fan of the old Houston Run 'n Shoot, but go with whats working for you.

hollywood_texan
09-18-2006, 06:46 PM
its a low percentage play, that requires precise route running, a very accurate pass, a lot of ttime in the pocket, and luck that the offensive player is actually the one coming down with the ball.

Well then, I guess you should never throw deep from how you described it. It just isn't worth it.

And if that is the case, then why do we need a QB with a cannon for an arm?

You have to go deep to soften up the secondary. I think Texans have a big problem using the middle (15 to 25 yards downfield) part of the field, which is causing most of these problems. Which is why naked bootleg blew up on the first play.

edo783
09-18-2006, 06:49 PM
We may want to consider going no-huddle more often. For some reason Carr does better when he doesn't have a lot of time to over think what he is doing. I was never really a fan of the old Houston Run 'n Shoot, but go with whats working for you.

No huddle isn't the run-N-shoot. Dolts use it all the time to keep the defense on their heels. Your right though that Carr seems to get into a much better rythem when he plays faster. Personally, I think the no huddle is good thing for us for the same reason Indy uses it.

RiotCommander
09-18-2006, 06:51 PM
No huddle isn't the run-N-shoot. Dolts use it all the time to keep the defense on their heels. Your right though that Carr seems to get into a much better rythem when he plays faster. Personally, I think the no huddle is good thing for us for the same reason Indy uses it.

thats not exactly what I ment, but I know its what I said. Just usually Carr is in the gun when he is going no huddle. I don't know a lot about the Run-n-shoot myself I didn't follow the Oilers then. I just knew Moon was in the gun and he was not someone to take lightly =)

Grid
09-18-2006, 06:53 PM
played two of the best pass rushing teams in the league so far. That just MAY have had an effect on our offense.

I look forward to seeing how we play the Redskins.

BTW I voted for the run.

Double Barrel
09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
played two of the best pass rushing teams in the league so far. That just MAY have had an effect on our offense.

Noooooo...you think? ;)

Quit inserting logic into threads....it messes with the flow. (j/k!)