PDA

View Full Version : My sincerest condolences

jagsfanincanada
09-18-2006, 11:21 AM
I just read your starting rookie LT is out for the year and Ephraim Salaam will now start.

Having watched Salaam as a Jag for the past 2 years, I am saying with no hint of sarcasm or ill will, I feel bad for you guys.

If you think you have seen bad offensive line play, you haven't seen anything yet. This scrub almost got Leftwich killed multiple times in 2004.

Doom Capers
09-18-2006, 11:24 AM
good to hear

powerfuldragon
09-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I just read your starting rookie LT is out for the year and Ephraim Salaam will now start.
This scrub almost got Leftwich killed multiple times in 2004.
Man... Leftwich is a tank. Will D.Carr be injured by week six?

[edit] I hope not.

SESupergenius
09-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Sage...Sage...Sage.

jagibelieve
09-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I've got to agree with my fellow Jaguar fan. Salaam got the name "turnstile" in Jacksonville last year for a reason. He was actually replaced and inactive for the last part of our season and replaced by a rookie. I feel bad for Carr...

rondog
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow. :sos:

TEXANS84
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Who took his spot, Barnes?

Ibar_Harry
09-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes, but remember what Kubiak has said. "Its his locker room presence that has inspired Kubiak"!!!!!

nunusguy
09-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Having watched Salaam as a Jag for the past 2 years, I am saying with no hint of sarcasm or ill will, I feel bad for you guys.

Can anybody wonder why DC is screwed up in the head and gets the yips
with regular frequency ? He is now about to embark on his latest adventure with another untested or over-the-hill NFL LT to cover his butt.

beerlover
09-18-2006, 12:51 PM
when Spencer layed there twisting in pain it was to date my lowest point so far as a Texans fan. I mean here is our promising rookie LT locked up on Freeney & in some freak accident is clipped by 275 lb Ron Dayne barreling down the lane Spencer had just opened up.

to his credit Carr never came out of the game and played a whole lot better in the 4th quarter but I can't see how the rest of the season can improve as expected without Spencer in there & solidifying the LT position.

Please_Evolve
09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
That we'll go out and look for help in the market?

How about Flannigan's Injury? I get sick of the thought of having McKinney play Center again....

Johnny Utah
09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm hoping Pitts will now become our LT over this Salaam scrub. Pitts has proven that he can play this position decently.

Texans Horror
09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
The only problem with Pitts at LT is that means McKinney has to play guard. Hodgdon moves forward to center. With one single move we have 0 backups at Center and 0 backups at Guard. Salaam and Winston are still backing up Weigert, who I don't think will make it to the end of the season. He's taking a beating. Either he goes down, or he's pulled, but I don't think he's going to survive another 14 games.

RiotCommander
09-18-2006, 01:10 PM

If you think you have seen bad offensive line play, you haven't seen anything yet. This scrub almost got Leftwich killed multiple times in 2004.

A Jags fan with class. Thanks for saying that. Spencer was one of my favorite players, and I feel he would have really improved this year. Next year will be like he is still a rookie again....

jdog
09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Can we bring in some sumo wrestlers for the line or something? Maybe we could put Carr in one of those foam sumo wrestler costumes instead.

gtexan02
09-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Time for open tryouts to find our "Invincible"

jdog
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I say we offer free food to the five biggest guys we can find on ebay.

jdog
09-18-2006, 01:46 PM
If you have five guys that weigh five hundred pounds...they might be slow...but they would make our line about twenty feet wide not counting Owen. I think Carr could make a pass before the defenders run around the corner.

jagsfanincanada
09-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Who took his spot, Barnes?

Yes Barnes took his spot and played well, our offense started playing much better after that, not coincidentally.

I doubt any of you saw it but if you saw the game in 2004 when we beat Green Bay in that super cold game in Green Bay, that's all you need to see. KGB ran right around Salaam that entire game and delivered vicious hits.

And the worst part is he's a laugher and joker. How can you be laughing and joking when you're getting your QB killed? Get ready for his standup comedian act in press conferences after he lets up 3 sacks and 5 pressures.

:rant:

19-10
09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Did he die? Now offering condolences to our season, that would be appropriate. But not b/c of Spencer - better than a blown out knee!!

AtheGreat
09-18-2006, 04:46 PM
what about Winston?

Runner
09-18-2006, 04:48 PM
what about Winston?

If he was ready he'd be in for Weigert already.

IMO.

Runner
09-19-2006, 09:02 AM

I've got to agree with my fellow Jaguar fan. Salaam got the name "turnstile" in Jacksonville last year for a reason. He was actually replaced and inactive for the last part of our season and replaced by a rookie. I feel bad for Carr...

Thanks for the thoughts, but we heard much the same thing from Saints fans last year about Victor Riley, and that turned out all right*.

* I'm in denial right now.

Malloy
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Time to get that roll-out working :)

texasguy346
09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I'd like to see the Texans perhaps pickup Wand. He's familiar with the system & I really can't imagine they want Winston seeing alot of action if one of the other OTs go down.

Texans Horror
09-19-2006, 09:15 AM
As good an idea as that may be (bringing Wand back in), it doesn't sound like it will happen. Kubiak is sold on Salaam. I pulled this from nfl.com:

"I wanted him to help Charles become a pro and teach Charles whenever we as coaches were not there for him," Kubiak said. "He has been doing that for us and he's done a good job. Now with the situation that we have, we couldn't have a better guy to go out there and play."

Salaam has played in 111 games and started 99.

"He's played a ton in this league," Kubiak said. "He played a great deal last year and I expect him to step up and play well."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9669362

I don't understand this move.

Sportsfan
09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Sage...Sage...Sage.

Thats not gonna matter if you got a weak left tackle, bud.

HJam72
09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm starting to reach that "I don't care" phase. I think a 2 tight-end set may become a necessity very soon.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
when Spencer layed there twisting in pain it was to date my lowest point so far as a Texans fan.

Yes very true, I told my wife that this does not look good, is this a sign of things to come.......my stomach was sick watching him lay there in pain..........One of the biggest obstacles for a team is injuries early on.....

run-david-run
09-19-2006, 10:34 AM
In the interview yesterday, Im prety sure Kubes hinted Winston would go to LT. One can only hope

Mr. White
09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
I didn't think Salaam played all that bad when he came in after Spencer's injury. It seemed like the OL played better as a unit.

Not to say you Jag fans are wrong. You guys would know about him better than us.

Texans Horror
09-19-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm interested in Salaam's history as a Bronco. It showed he started/played both seasons he had as a Bronco. I wonder why he was dropped, or was he traded?

One thing I do see is a history of injuries and surgeries. Orthoscopic surgery in 2002 and 2003. Arthroscopic in 2000.
This is a player sheet from his second year at Denver:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=755

Here is an editorial on the Jags. I don't know these people/website, so I'm not trying to spout truth, just something I found on the web.

Before head coach Jack Del Rio put Khalif Barnes in at left tackle week 5 against the Bengals, Ephraim Salaam and Mike Pearson played the position and may have done one of the worst jobs at blocking against the run or pass that I’ve ever seen in over 20 years of watching football. It is truly amazing that quarterback Byron Leftwich was not left handicapped after some of the hits he took early in the season.

http://jaguars.mostvaluablenetwork.com/2006/05/

And another from Jagnation:

They started the season playing a combination of an injured Mike Pearson and a totally ineffective Ephraim Salaam at the most important position on the line, left tackle, which the main duty is to protect quarterback Byron Leftwich’s blind side. The Pearson/Salaam combo led to a great deal of punishment throughout the first four weeks of the season for Byron Leftwich. So much so that it was simply amazing that Leftwich could even walk after the brutal beating he took against Indianapolis in week two. It appeared that the coaches simply gave up on that combo and in week five started the 2005 second round pick, Khalif Barnes.

http://www.jagnation.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=16

From the sounds of things, he was banged up in Denver and went to Jacksonville. In Jacksonville, the overwhelming response is that he was horrible and did lots of damage to Lefty. Much like Riley last year, five games into the season, Salaam was replaced at LT. Now he is here.

No disrespect to Salaam, but I'm not heartened to have Riley, Part II on the line. I hope he has improved.

Runner
09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I didn't think Salaam played all that bad when he came in after Spencer's injury. It seemed like the OL played better as a unit.

Not to say you Jag fans are wrong. You guys would know about him better than us.

I wouldn't judge him by the Colts anyway - it is tough to have a guy come in with cold legs and no expectation of playing.

I'm worried about day in and day out play.

cuppacoffee
09-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Before head coach Jack Del Rio put Khalif Barnes in at left tackle week 5 against the Bengals, Ephraim Salaam and Mike Pearson played the position and may have done one of the worst jobs at blocking against the run or pass that I’ve ever seen in over 20 years of watching football. It is truly amazing that quarterback Byron Leftwich was not left handicapped after some of the hits he took early in the season.

Try taking those hits all season long.....

Carr has been taking those kind of hits his entire career here.:dangit:

Web guy couldn't be too accurate. He obviously didn't watch any Texan games the last two years. :penalty:

:coffee:

threetoedpete
09-20-2006, 03:24 AM

Yeah it hurts. Took five years to find one. And to get hurt the way he did makes it sting worse. Had the guy he was blocking stoned and the RB just crashes into him. Jeeze, we got no luck. Wel'l find our this week if Jax is pretenders or contenders. Thanks for caring, GL

Texans Horror
09-20-2006, 08:14 AM
I pinged the Broncos Message Board to see what, if anything, Broncos fans remembered of Salaam.

Here are the responses I'm getting:

He is an ok tackle. He is a bust compare to the current Bronco's Tackles. Meadow is much better than him.

he was a average lineman when we had portis

I think we was decent, but not great.

solid run blocker, terrible in pass protection-- i was glad when we got rid of him. . . . sorry!

So take it for what you will. It doesn't sound like he impressed the fans much over there. The last comment has me concerned. Are we really improving the line by adding a tackle known for poor pass protection? Combined with what I've been hearing out of Jacksonville, it sounds like Salaam is a lineman who has been in a downward spiral for the last few years, and I'm wondering if it's something Sherman can fix...

TEXANRED
09-20-2006, 08:34 AM
No one could be worse than Victor Riley. Can they?

texasguy346
09-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Looks like we picked up Brad Bedell again to fill Spencer's spot. He'll likely be depth at guard which might mean we could see Flannagan missing some time. Leaving McKinney at C, Pitts & Weary starting at the guard spots, and then Bedell coming off the bench if one of them is injured.

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4199872.html)

Texans Horror
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Interesting story about left side of the offensive line:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4199873.html

Sportsfan
09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
In the interview yesterday, Im prety sure Kubes hinted Winston would go to LT. One can only hope

He said he'd like Winston to be their swing-tackle.