PDA

View Full Version : Spencer done for the season

hobie
09-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Rookie Charles Spencer, a third-round choice who won the starting job in training camp, suffered a fractured left tibia in the third quarter of Sunday's loss at Indianapolis and will be placed on injured reserve, a move that prematurely ends his debut campaign. The injury occurred about six minutes into the third quarter on a running play on which tailback Ron Dayne gained no yards.

"It's really sad," said coach Gary Kubiak. "The kid's going to be a great player. He needed this year. Now he's going to have to sit back and watch."

yourfavoritetexan42
09-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow...that hurts... he wasn't very mobile...so as much as Id hate to say it...maybe a smaller guy out there might help out our zone blocking scheme.

tburdette
09-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I was at the game and made a point to watch Spencer and I thought he did a very good job. Or at least when I was watching him he did. This is going to hurt his development which really sucks for us.

real
09-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow...that hurts... he wasn't very mobile...so as much as Id hate to say it...maybe a smaller guy out there might help out our zone blocking scheme.

Yes he was...

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 10:34 AM

Are you hating or is that an observation you have made by watching Pitt games, Texans preseason and our first two regular season games.

Rightnow
09-18-2006, 10:34 AM
This is probably the worst news of the entire season. I like Carr, but I'd rather see him get knocked out of the season than Spencer. As Kubiak said, he needed a season to be great and we will be a fat rookie next year and have to start all over.

(He has a tendency to put on too much weight in the off season and he can't even workout for weeks on end.)

His injury is much worse than the loss.

HJam72
09-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, gee, I wonder if cutting Seth Wand was a good idea? I guess Winston is gonna get to play after all, unless we're going to move Pitts to LT once again.

Runner
09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Spencer can still learn a lot by paying attention the rest of this year, and it appears he has the drive to do so. His physical skills were good in the short time he was playing, but there were times where it looked like the left side of the line wasn't adjusting to the defensive sets correctly.

So although he won't be getting the PT he'll still be improved in some aspects of the game at the start of next year, IMO.

Blu
09-18-2006, 10:44 AM
DAMN YOU RON DAYNE!!!:wild:
Sorry just had to vent.

Texans Horror
09-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I've always understood that most linemen need a year sitting on the bench and learning the game, and Kubiak's system is not a paint-by-numbers routine. So, in a weird twist, I think this could actually help Spencer to be a better player. I am not worried about the physical end. Spencer is an aggressive player and will work off any weight he gains.

Runner
09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
arg now we have to say spencer is injury prone! ughhh...

Just think, if he gets hurt next year he'll be (mis)labeled a bust like Joppru. :rolleyes:

phantom17
09-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Get well soon Big Spence we will miss you! This really sucks for this team....it seems like we are jinks in this position!!!! We just can't seem to win. Well, it seems Salaam got the startin' role, hope he will help! Now, how about Flannagan? YIKES! I feel sorry for Carr, he can't seem to get a break, no wonder he looks kinda shell shock .:wild:

MightyTExan
09-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Did Dayne take out Spencer and Flannigan?

Hervoyel
09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
I just read a short article in the Chronic from "The General" (jeez I hate that stupid nickname) and he's saying Salaam starts and Winston backs him up. No mention of bringing back Wand at all.

Runner
09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I just read a short article in the Chronic from "The General" (jeez I hate that stupid nickname) and he's saying Salaam starts and Winston backs him up. No mention of bringing back Wand at all.

I think they have to do some kind of roster move. Weigert isn't looking good, and his durability can be questioned. If Salaam and Winston end up playing, then what do we have for back-up?

If they don't make a strong roster move I think it indicates they are playing the season for the future and are sacrificing "learning to win" this season to build that future.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Spencer looked terrific before he went down and may have been the story of the game for us in a positive manner. Weigert needs to be let loose and bring back Wand in my opinion. Weigert or the TE on the right side have been the culprits of to many sacks to date or at least those that DC felt the pain from.

Get well big Spence.

Texans Horror
09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Losing Flanagan and Spencer is going to hurt us. Our line has almost 0 depth right now. They need to bring somebody in.

nunusguy
09-18-2006, 11:56 AM
This is very frustrating and discouraging, and all I can think of is that it would
be the perfect opportunity for that tape that Rome loves to play again and
again about Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan where the latter does the erie "why...why ?" thing.
Easily the last guy we would want to lose on the OLine, and one of the last 2
or 3 on the whole team, given the critical nature of LT and our need to finally
develope somebody to play over there.
Don't be surprised to see Iron Man Chester at LT before the season ends.

Nbkan
09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
If I was heavy enough I would play LT as a walk on like Invinceable. Frankly though I ain't that heavy enough...245 won't cut it on the OL.

I could give 1 year at LB though purely on heart and I still am in shape ;)

HJam72
09-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, let's see. If I gain about 180 lbs. in the next week or two, then I'd only need to grow about 9 inches in height AND THEN I'M THERE MAN, I'LL PLAY LT FOR US!!! :redtowel: :ok:

Wharton
09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Rookie Charles Spencer, a third-round choice who won the starting job in training camp, suffered a fractured left tibia ... "It's really sad," said coach Gary Kubiak. "The kid's going to be a great player. He needed this year. Now he's going to have to sit back and watch."Does anyone know how bad the fracture is?

A broken leg, depending on the severity, can linger for years. Ron Gant, a professional baseball player from Victoria, suffered a broken leg and was never the same again. Gant was a 30-30 player before the break, but never came close to those type of numbers after the break.

Runner
09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know how bad the fracture is?

Kubiak said it was "bad" on his 610 show. I don't know exactly what that means.

He said it is the type of injury you can evaluate better over the next couple of months. He said Spencer had surgery today.

Erratic Assassin
09-18-2006, 07:38 PM
What a wuss!

That guy must be made out of chalk!

Regards,

Bennie Joppru

PapaL
09-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Didnt we have a long thread about this on gameday already? I know I posted when Kubiack broke the news Spencer was out for the season, but cant find the thread or post. Hmmmm...

nunusguy
09-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Still seems curious to me that tackles Spencer and Winston were drafted back to back, and by the same team no less, and yet there appears to be miles of difference between their readiness to play in the NFL. Or there was before Spencers season-ending injury. But Winston was the guy who was obviously very overrated, while Spencer was probably very underrated.

bigTEXan8
09-18-2006, 08:06 PM
got to feel for a kid when in his rookie year...he injures himself so early in the season. i hope he gets better and comes back soon.

as for football impact, let's start the carosel position going...aka t. looks like carr better get use to looking up at the ceiling.

Rightnow
09-18-2006, 08:27 PM
I heard Kubiak talk on the radio and he said the injury is very serious and they will know where Spencer is at in a couple of months from now. He said the surgery went well. I sure hope this injury doesn't linger.

Texans_Chick
09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Still seems curious to me that tackles Spencer and Winston were drafted back to back, and by the same team no less, and yet there appears to be miles of difference between their readiness to play in the NFL. Or there was before Spencers season-ending injury. But Winston was the guy who was obviously very overrated, while Spencer was probably very underrated.

Winston is used to playing left tackle. He was asked to play right tackle. He says that it is difficult learning hand placement and all the positional things switching sides.

We like to think of the players as plug and play on the line, but technique-wise, it isn't easy.

edo783
09-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I would imagin that Carr is popping ant-acids left and right with the prospect of ANOTHER rookie in the LT spot and one that wasn't able to be a starter. I like Winston, but this is at least a year to soon for him. I suspect that this ends badly.

gtexan02
09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Kubiak said in his press confered that the injury was "serious", "very, very serious", and then repeated "very, very serious" again. I think it sounds really bad, guys.

He said the surgery went well, but by the number of times he emphasized how "very, very serious" it was, I don't know if we can expect him to be back

Ibar_Harry
09-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Kubiak said in his press confered that the injury was "serious", "very, very serious", and then repeated "very, very serious" again. I think it sounds really bad, guys.

He said the surgery went well, but by the number of times he emphasized how "very, very serious" it was, I don't know if we can expect him to be back

I'm afraid its very much like what happened to the Kentucky Derby winner. I think the bone may have shattered. Its the turf again. What can you say? Why that turf is not outlawed is beyound me. So many careers have been ruined by that turf, but they keep on using it.

BigBull17
09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Oh it was nasty, watching his whole leg shift when Dayne ran into him. Made me cringe, and I knew his season was over. Tough break and hope for a speedy and complete recovery.

RiotCommander
09-19-2006, 08:23 AM

From what he said he is hinting that he may not play again. Which for a rookie is very hard to swallow. I will hope for the best because I have not seen anyone actually come out and say that.

gtexan02
09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
I agree. If I had to imply anything from Kubiak's statement, it would be that Spencer's career is definitely in jeopardy, and most likely over.

However!,

Kubiak has implied things very clearly before which he didn't intend at all (see DD being cut). I think Kubiak hasn't learned to "coach speak" (thank goodness) and that ends up with him making implications he doesn't intend

kingh99
09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Sorry just had to vent.

And so the curse of the Bushbino begins. Ron Dayne wouldn't be here if we drafted RB. Mario Williams wouldn't be an out of place tweener on fast tracks if we drafted RB.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM

Truely sad, was hoping, for big things from him.......:crying:

Texans_Chick
09-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Here's a post about what the Texans are going to do to replace Spencer and then to get another backup:

Link (http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/19/arrrrrgh-the-texans-offensive-line-shuffled-again/)

As for getting another player, Kubiak in his press conference says they haven't decided who yet.

"We also have to look around and decide, do we bring in a young tackle here or do we go find another veteran guy? We have to go make that decision, but we definitely have to go get another player here pretty quick. [Seth Wand is] a possibility. He is somebody we have talked about, but that is going happen over the course of the next two days. We have to figure out what the best direction for us to go for the long haul, not the short term. We'll have to decide that here."

Personally, I would prefer Wand just because there is so much to do with so many positions of the team, it would be nice to get someone familiar with what the Texans are trying to do already.

Texans Horror
09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
The only reason I hope it's Wand is that he has shown improvement and he performed as well as Spencer in the pre-season. He has familiarity with the system and the team, and we've already added two new backs to the system.

Unless we trade for a powerhouse tackle somewhere, and I don't think that will happen, Salaam does not sound like the permanent fix. My amateur research shows that there is a lot of risk with Salaam. He has had multiple surgeries and was run out of Jacksonville for not protecting the QB. Here is the posting:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=28445&page=2

DayneBum
09-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry just had to vent.

dont blame Dayne, its not his fault....Spencer was pushed into the backfeild as Dayne was getting the handoff. it wouldve never happened if Spencer held his block.

Texans Horror
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Sometimes these things just happen. I hate trying to blame one player over another, so I just blame the astroturf.

BigBull17
09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
It was not Ron Daynes fault that Spencer broke his leg. Freeney pushed Spencer back and Dayne clipped the back of his leg. It was a freak accedent and is one of the things that happends in football. It is a shame that Spencer broke his leg and a shame people blame Dayne for it.:twocents:

Blu
09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
again..I just had to vent..:crutch:

DayneBum
09-19-2006, 02:31 PM
again..I just had to vent..:crutch:

well so did we.:twocents:

CoastalTexan
09-19-2006, 04:03 PM
This hurts bad, Do we draft Joe Thomas or someone similar or count on Spencer returning full strength?

Texans Horror
09-19-2006, 04:34 PM
We'll know better in the November/January timeframe. Personally, if the LT spot is still bad, I'd rather the Texans free-agent a solid, proven LT with years still on him rather than draft another project.

Crazyhorse
09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I'll say it again!! Hated to see Spence get hurt but Winston has had more time at left tackle than any other position. I watched him practice many times during the preseason and he excelled to the point of drawing Kubiak's praise.
They said they brought Salaam in to help school Spencer, so why not have him do the same with Eric????? After everything I have seen it appears that something is out of focus here. I have seen Eric play at all levels for a number of years. I have watched his progress in Houston this year closely and this kid is a lot better than the coaches appear to give him credit for?????