PDA

View Full Version : What we need to draft and how many years it will take

Rightnow
09-18-2006, 09:19 AM
07 Draft (Assuming DD is not coming back.)
These are in no particular order, it would be the best available from these positions:

SS
FS
LB

Then:

RB
WR
CB
OG/OT
C

08 Draft (assuming we got what we needed in 07)
These are in no particular order, it would be the best available from these positions:

DT
LB
CB

Then

OT/OG
CB
WR
LB

If all goes well we can be a playoff competitive team by 2009. Three years out. Yes, three years out. Assuming that DC isn’t replaced or killed by sacks we won’t need another QB. Or safeties are literally killing our chances at winning games. They are terrible. Or LB core except Ryans is inept and slow—we need a LB that can rush the passer. We have to pick up some later round picks on the O-line since some of our guys are getting old and we need more depth. We need a third WR. We need another CB, but if we get some stud safeties next year we can fake it. We will need near perfect drafts to be playoff ready by 2009, if we blow some picks it will be 2010 and beyond.

Yes, we are really that bad and the whole team is going to be rebuilt.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 09:31 AM
2007 we make the playoffs.

Next year we draft CB, S, RB, LB , OL, WR.

We are right on schedule.

HomeBred_Texan
09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
2007 we make the playoffs.

Next year we draft CB, S, RB, LB , OL, WR.

We are right on schedule.
I agree. If and that is a big if, we get some stud RB like Adriann Peterson, it would help us out a great deal. Then Def the rest of the draft as far as I am concerned.

Looks like we are gonna have to put a system togeather and just flat out outscore Indy. I don't know that anyone can stop them when Manning is hot...

TheOgre
09-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Secondary and RB are clearly our two biggest needs next draft. I'm still concerned about LB, but I think Ryans, Greenwood, and Orr are about average as a group.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 09:37 AM
I agree. If and that is a big if, we get some stud RB like Adriann Peterson, it would help us out a great deal. Then Def the rest of the draft as far as I am concerned.

Looks like we are gonna have to put a system togeather and just flat out outscore Indy. I don't know that anyone can stop them when Manning is hot...

I love Peterson, but just do not see us drafting that high to get him. There is always value to be found in the 2nd through 4th rounds to get a back.

CB and S have been issues and will be issues and must be addressed. I do not see this unit getting better. The first change should be getting rid of Hoke.

HomeBred_Texan
09-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I love Peterson, but just do not see us drafting that high to get him. There is always value to be found in the 2nd through 4th rounds to get a back.

CB and S have been issues and will be issues and must be addressed. I do not see this unit getting better. The first change should be getting rid of Hoke.
We are going to have to start drafting O players with the 1st round instead of D players if we plan on getting to that next level. We cannot continue to try and hold a team if we want to get to the dance. If and when Super Mario becomes Super, it will take allot of pressure off of the D Backs. They cannot continue to run around back there all day trying to cover so many weapons...

gtexan02
09-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Don't forget there is such a thing called "Free Agency." With Wade, Smith, Walker, etc gone, we will have a lot of room soon

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Don't forget there is such a thing called "Free Agency." With Wade, Smith, Walker, etc gone, we will have a lot of room soon

If Keith's projections are right at HPF I do not see us resigning many Texans back next year and using a good portion of that projected 14.5 million cap room on one impact Defensive secondary player.

Do not forget we add Wong, Mathis, Dom Davis and Spencer back later this year and next year.

Cjeremy635
09-18-2006, 10:01 AM
I think we need to go defense. We have drafted that way and I think we are missing a few key players that can make us a top tier defensive team in the league once we get the new scheme down. Everyone knows that defense wins championships. I think our offense can be sufficient enough, once we learn the system as well, to put up around 14-25 points a game and if our defense can stop some teams, we could win some key games down the road.

yourfavoritetexan42
09-18-2006, 10:07 AM
we need to draft tom zbikowski out of notre dame for our secondary, he is a punisher, a huge playmaker and a leader, exactly what we need in the secondary. with him and earl back at safety I would say our defensive backs could start making some plays.

We need to keep dunta and earl at d back...and give pbuch is chance at corner...but man...cc brown.... i gave him a nickname

Big Play Brown...because everytime there is a big play, its right over his head.

V Man
09-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Secondary and RB are clearly our two biggest needs next draft. I'm still concerned about LB, but I think Ryans, Greenwood, and Orr are about average as a group.

Greenwood is an average plus Weakside LB
Ryans is a good to great Middle LB
Orr is the weak link. One tackle for a Strongside LB in two games is flat out terrible.

We need to draft an SLB, and at least 3 DBs next year.

Rightnow
09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
It's 08 for playoff run at the very earliest. Even if we drafted two stud safties, a great OLB and a CB it takes at least a year before the safties and CB can be truly effective in the NFL. Dunta is about as good as they come and even he was benched a couple of times in his rookie year.

I can see us getting a good LB in free agency. They are easier to come by than safties. We will probably have to go to the draft if we want really good safties. The safties we have now will make excellent backups, but they aren't starter material.

Kubiak has a long road ahead of him. I hope that the Houston fan base doesn't grow so discouraged that they stop showing up completely.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Orr is the weak link. One tackle for a Strongside LB in two games is flat out terrible.

Maybe we should wait on Orr before we put him out of your misery. He was possibly our best defensive player last year and just like everyone else is adjusting to a new system.

http://yeee.football.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/396874

Shantee Orr corralled 7.0 sacks, 38 solo tackles, four forced fumbles and two pass deflections in 12 starts in 2005.

V Man
09-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Maybe we should wait on Orr before we put him out of your misery. He was possibly our best defensive player last year and just like everyone else is adjusting to a new system.

http://yeee.football.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/396874

Shantee Orr corralled 7.0 sacks, 38 solo tackles, four forced fumbles and two pass deflections in 12 starts in 2005.

Don't get me wrong I like Orr, but I think he is a great Special Teams and certain spots player (like 3rd down blitzing off the edge). I just starting to wonder if he can play every down.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
I hope that the Houston fan base doesn't grow so discouraged that they stop showing up completely.

I do not believe there is any worry of that, save for the vocal minority. Football fans like football, but prefer good football which we can get almost any day of the week these days. In the interim some of us who know how to surf the net prefer to engage in online banter as we wait for our Texans to turn the corner. It will happen and when it does it will be very sweet.

HOU-TEX
09-18-2006, 10:20 AM

Man, Orr hardly played this past game due to the nickle D and ya'll are bagging on him. What's up with that?:spy:

AustinJB
09-18-2006, 10:24 AM
We are going to have to start drafting O players with the 1st round instead of D players if we plan on getting to that next level. We cannot continue to try and hold a team if we want to get to the dance. If and when Super Mario becomes Super, it will take allot of pressure off of the D Backs. They cannot continue to run around back there all day trying to cover so many weapons...

I don't know about this...maybe I'm missing something, but when your defense gives up 43 pts/game, you're not going to win many of those.

And, while I agree that Dline pressure on the QB has an affect on the DBs, it was also evident in the Colts game (as if we didn't know already) that we need a better FS. It works both ways. The secondary has to cover the opposing WRs at least long enough for the Dline to get out of their stance (a little sarcasm.) The Dline never even had time to apply pressure before Manning had taken a 2-3 step drop and quickly fired the ball to "X" receiver who had just burned CC Brown. When the Dline has two seconds to sack the QB or you give up a monster gain over your safety's head, you're not going to get many sacks and/or QB pressures....and you're going to give up a LOT of points. See exhibit A (Game1) and exhibt B (Game 2).:twocents:

V Man
09-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Man, Orr hardly played this past game due to the nickle D and ya'll are bagging on him. What's up with that?:spy:

Fine I will give him a pass against Indy, but that still only gives him one tackle against Philly. It is not that I don't like the guy, I do. I think his is a high energy player and is a player we need to keep for specific down and special blitz packages. I think he might not be a starter or everydown player at that position.

dat_boy_yec
09-18-2006, 12:48 PM
You know who we should go after this off-season. Lance Briggs, the guy would really help our linebacking group and would give us a little more manuevering room for the draft. Maybe I'm being a dreamer, but I think if we got Briggs and drafted a top FS (Laron Landry anyone) in the first or hope someone's available in the second. (Crosses fingers Merriweather) then that should really help our Defense.

mikoto
09-18-2006, 01:20 PM
'07

CB
FS
Interior OL

Then:
BPA
"
"
"

'08

OT or DL (depending on development of Spencer/Winston)
LB
BPA

Then:
BPA
"
"
"

tburdette
09-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I know we have drafted D Line in the first round the last 3 years but we still are getting no pass rush. I do not want us to get another D Lineman in the first but I think we need to look for one in the second. We should go SS in the first and the DL in the second. We need a big run stuffing DT. I think Babin should see more playing time rushing off the edge and that we should try to trade either Peek or Payne for some kind of DB help.

jlam
09-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Ball hawking safeties can really be shot in the arm for a D. Someone mentioned Zbikowski earlier, who I like, but also LaRon Landry from LSU is someone to maybe take a look at.

And never think that it's impossible to completely turn a team around in a relatively short amount of time, especially when speaking in reference to a team with a good amount of talent and good leadership. Realistically speaking, one may think that it won't be untill 08 or 09 untill Houston could contend, but just look at Carolina a few years back. They went from 1-15 in 2001 to Super Bowl in 03. It's the exeption to the rule of course, but with some good scouting and some luck in player aquistitions it's very do-able.

Xman
09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Talking about the draft, I just get a feeling that Tennessee will end up with Adrian Peterson. Talk about having hometown Houston players that kick our butt for years - Bud would love that.

Based on draft quality projections:

If we get a top 3 pick: Peterson or O'Quin (or whatever QB stands out as a #1 talent pick if there is one)
Talent is too good to pass up. We need the RB, and we may need the QB since the jury is out on Carr. The other top talent projected at this point is WR, which we don't really need. The only way I see us taking a QB/WR/RB in ths first is if it is high.

If we get a 4-7 pick: LB/DE/OT - I would say CB but it doesn't look like any CBs are worth a pick this high. But, if a CB does become worth a pick this high, then we take a CB.
I love Poluzsky, but he is a MLB, so unless Ryans can play OLB, not a good pick. Quentin Moses could be a stud DE, but do we need 4 #1 picks on our DL in addition to Weaver? Several OTs are projected in the top 10, so maybe we try that.

If we get a 8-32 pick: CB/S/LB
Just get the best player to fill the biggest need. In the first in this draft, I think we would go S or CB, with LB as a secondary option.

After the first pick (assuming BPA fills a need):
2nd - 4th rounds - CB/S/LB, with a slight chance of taking an OL or RB

2008 draft: Fill in the other holes at CB/LB/S/OL.

real
09-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I think if Tenesee were drafting high they'd take Calvin Johnson...

Xman
09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I think if Tenesee were drafting high they'd take Calvin Johnson...

Maybe, he would fit in well. But, if they take AP, then cut Henry and deal Brown for a 3rd round pick, they are set at RB with AP as the feature back and Lendale as a change of pace heavy back.

I just think AP is too good to pass up. But, of course I think he is the next coming of Disckerson also.

TheOgre
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM

I view Greenwood as average, Ryans as good and Orr as below average to poor. That is what I meant as an average group. Orr is clearly an inferior LLB, but he isn't nearly the liability that Brown, Earl, and CB2 (opposite Robinson) appear to be. Robinson hasn't played very well either. Our secondary looks like Kuwait circa 1991.

Also, our lack of a solid rushing game seems to have a trickle-down effect on the team. We cannot sustain drives and our defense is on the field a lot.

I think RB and DB have to be the top of our wish list next year unless a clear head-and-shoulders above the pack SLB is available.

real
09-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Not disagreeing with you(not agreeing with you either)...but just to be fair, the Texans used nickel as their base defense against the Colts...Orr didn't start...I don't think he played much...Greenwood and Ryans were the two starters at Linebacker...

Battle Red Flash
09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Texans needs in order, IMO.

FS, CB, LB, OL, SS, RB, DL, WR

beerlover
09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
with LT suddenly open I would not be surprised if the Texans take a hard look at Wisconsin OT Joe Thomas. FS at the top of the 2nd Laron Landry or Brandon Merriweather. CB in 3rd. then bpa @ need after that. The Texans should then be compeititive in 2007. :homer:

cred
09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I can't believe all of you, it is only the second game and you are already talking about the draft. What a shame!

real
09-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I can't believe all of you, it is only the second game and you are already talking about the draft. What a shame!

I was talking about the draft as soon as the last one was over...

Xman
09-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I was talking about the draft as soon as the last one was over...

Amen

We need at least one strong draft - and might need 3

TexansSeminole
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I think the type of player we lack the most is a run blocking offensive lineman. Most of the time it is better to have a good run blocking guard than a tackle. In next years draft I would go with a good run blocking guard (maybe tackle) in the first (or second). I would then get a coverage safety (Landry is the real deal) in the second (or first). I really dont see any other positions that we need to address in the first or second round. There are alot we would benifit from, but I dont think any other position is more needed than these two.

Top Safeties we should be looking at drafting next year:
Laron Landry, LSU
Brandon Mayweather, Miami
Michael Griffin, Texas

These guys can all cover the field very well; Griffin and Landry are both good hitters.

Top Guards/Tackles
Justin Blalock, Texas (the perfect guard for us to run behind)
Joe Thomas, Wisconson (a good tackle)

Boston College and Auburn both have multiple lineman that we could really use as well.

Now in the 3-7 rounds of the 07 draft its all about depth.

We are really lacking in depth at corner, guard, defensive tackle, linebacker and wide reciever.

I say for picks 3 and 4 we should draft corner and wide reciever. The rest is really just the feel of players by the coaching staff.

Random Players I would love to have on the Texans next year:
1. Buster Davis, MLB Florida State. I've been watching him in person for two years now and I have got to say he is probably the biggest playmaker at linebacker in the NCAA. He has the instincts and speed to play all the linebacker positions (much like DeMeco). Downside is that he is something liek 5'11 or 5'10. I dont think it's much of a deal, its really a matter of opinion.

2. Justin Blalock, OG Texas. He blocks like a champion, because he is a champion.

3. Brian Leonard, FB Rutgers. He is a fast and hard runner, he blocks well, and he can catch. Everything that is needed for a FB in our system. Look at him as a running back with good blocking skills.

4. Paul Posluszny, OLB Penn State. What is there to say?

5. Michael Griffin, S Texas. I almost forgot Griffin, he is the leader of the UT defense and was Huff's complement last year. Huff is going to be a great player in the NFL and I beleive Griffin will follow suit, as they destroyed teams last year.

Napa Auto Parts
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM

1.QB
2.RB
3.FS
4.LB

We need help all over the place.

YoungTexanFan
09-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Well, I love college football and the draft, so I talk about it whenever I can.

IF we have a high enough pick, say in the 2-5 range, we coule concievibly end up with AP in the first, and Landry in the second. He is not a top 20 talent people. Yes, he is at the top of the FS class, but he is no ST or Ed Reed...damn, maybe follow that tradition and go with Merriwether from the U.

So much is left to be decided yet though.

I also feel Buchanon should be at #2 CB, but I also believe that Daunta will end up as a #2 CB for us if we draft a stud CB anytime soon. I love him, but I feel his rookie production was more the result of Glenn on the other side than his all-world skills. And yes, Deangalo Hall is better, and will only widen the gap.

YoungTexanFan
09-19-2006, 08:47 AM
bumping thread back up.

TheOgre
09-19-2006, 09:09 AM

When you come off of a 2-14 season, you know in all likelihood you are AT LEAST two drafts away from being worth mentioning.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Secondary, needs help bad.........but then again we need alot of help in many areas......

cdastros
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
1st pick: LaRon Landry - fs
2nd pick: Fred Bennet - cb
3rd pick: LB
4rth pick: Selvin Young - RB
5th pick: cb
6th pick: OG
7th pick: WR

real
09-19-2006, 09:22 AM
If we are picking in the top three I'd rather not get AP...I would rather get Calvin Johnson...Him and Dre together would be absolutely sick....I just think Running Backs are a dime a dozen..Almost every team in the leauge has atleast one good back, and most have two...I just think their is a surplus of good running backs, and Lundy was starting as a sixth rounder....We could get a good back in the third, or fourth...If we pick high I say we go Calvin Johnson, FS , RB or LB(Depends on best Available), CB...No matter what we won't be able to fill every hole...But I definitely think Johnson will be too good to pass....
http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_calvin00.html

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
According to Steve Mckinney, the O line looked good this week, he is on 610 radio right now, so I guess we don't need any help there, yeah right, Someone please give Steve Mckinney a drug test ASAP........:redtowel: He is getting some heat from the people calling in right now.....

Historyhorn
09-19-2006, 10:40 AM
NFL teams that are in the hunt for the brass ring all have the following:

1) O-line
2) Defense
3) coaching

Our O-line still isn't there. I love both picks from last year for the O-line. Spencer and Winston should be good ones for us for a long time. An OG and/or a C would be a good get in the upcoming draft.

Our Defense is still not what it should be. We haven't made the personnel transition to the 4-3 just yet. TJ and Mario will be good in the 4-3 and I'm a stone cold believer in Ryans. I think we could certainly use some secondary help as well as some added depth on the D-line. I think you pick up LBers later in the draft. Depending on how high we draft, I think we'll go CB or S in the first round. OL & DL in the next two. Then after that, who knows?

We've got to believe that Kubiak will be a coach that can take us to the promised land, but he needs at least two more drafts to have the personnel to do what he needs to compete at the highest level.