PDA

View Full Version : Why We Lost Today, the swtbound07 edition

swtbound07
09-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Here is what I think. I took off work today, and this is the first game i've gotten to see live and probably the last one for awhile. We lost today for a variety of reasons, and i think they are worth at least discussing.

1) We got outcoached. The very first play of the game the colts came gunning for carr, almost as if they saw the play coming. I think Dungy had a pretty good idea of what kubiak was going to run as his scripted plays.

2) Our secondary is deplorable. CC Brown and Glenn Earl shouldn't be starters. We need a legitimate free safety, and we need our safeties to pick up assignments, especially against a top shelf team like indy. Our corners are left without help

3) Our D-line gets no push. Not only was manning rarely sacked, he was rarely even rushed. Mario will get better, or he might not, but some package of personnel + some package of plays has to be able to generate pressure.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Now, before i post this i want to make this very VERY VERY clear. The offense didn't cost us this game. Vince + Reggie + God weren't going to outscore the colts today. Defense wins championships and we don't have one.

1) David Carr
David Carr didn't look comfortable. I know your going to say that is because of the pressure, but say it or not, he doesn't look comfortable in the pocket. I don't think this is reversable. Yes, he completed his passes. Yes they were short. The WCO uses short passes like running the ball. Vince or Brady Quinn or whomever would be throwing short passes too. So will Sage. Not a big deal. My issue is with Carr hitting the recievers in a manner to allow them to make some Yards after the Catch. Several times he would complete his throw but in a manner that forced the reciever down to the ground and didn't allow for any gains afterwards. If he can pick up his throws and be a little more reciever friendly in his delivery i think it will be better on that point.

2) Andre Johnson- Come on now...the drops are getting a bit ridiculous. He does good things, like the catch where he drug the pile about 5 yards after the contact out of brute strength, but nfl recievers catch footballs.

3) Wali Lundy- Doesn't look as good as one would hope, but in fairness he is a rookie. I hope the 3 headed monster can rip off some big gains, but i worry about the rushing attack.

as a small side note, Eric Moulds is a beast that just won't quit. Best offseason acquisition in quite some time

Goatcheese
09-18-2006, 08:35 AM
=swtbound07]We got outcoached.

This is the same Indi coaching staff that embarassed the Bronco's in the first round of the playoffs. It shouldn't be a surprise that they would have our number. People can say what they wanted about Capers, but he almost always played the Colts tough. His game plan forced the Colts to play to our strengths and DD ran roughshod over them.

Our secondary is deplorable. CC Brown and Glenn Earl shouldn't be starters. We need a legitimate free safety, and we need our safeties to pick up assignments, especially against a top shelf team like indy. Our corners are left without help

I couldn't agree more. I was surprised when Kubiak started saying the safeties were a bright spot on this defense. I couldn't believe it then, and nobody believes it now.

Hopefully we will draft in a position where we can get Landry.

Our D-line gets no push. Not only was manning rarely sacked, he was rarely even rushed. Mario will get better, or he might not, but some package of personnel + some package of plays has to be able to generate pressure.

I thought Babin and Thomas(?) Johnson were getting good pressure on Manning and McNabb. I think Babin needs to get more playing time, even if it means sitting our big $$$$ free agent or even the #1 pick in the draft. We need to play the guys who are out there getting it done. It looked like they were flipping Mario back and forth between LDE and RDE the entire game. Idealy I would like to see Babin at RDE any time Mario is at LDE, with Weaver in when Mario moves to RDE.

David Carr didn't look comfortable. I know your going to say that is because of the pressure, but say it or not, he doesn't look comfortable in the pocket.

Carr didn't look confortable because of the O-line and the pressure(You knew I was going to say it). What do you really expect when he gets sacked 208 times in 4 years and 9 times in the first 2 games. I've been really dissapointed with this coaching staffs attempts to fix the pass protection. If it doesn't improve the draft pundits projection that we take Joe Thomas in the top 5 may become reality.

Andre Johnson- Come on now...the drops are getting a bit ridiculous.

This has been comming up alot and every time people scream blasphemy and say Carr just needs to force the ball to Johnson more. The kid has amazing physical talent, but to me lacks the skill set of a top reciever. His route running, hands and knowledge of where he is on the field leave a lot to be desired. Between the drops and him not understanding how to drag his feet to make a side line catch this kid drives me insane. Him taking a 4 yard stride to plant his second foot out of bounds has lost us atleast 2 games where we settled for a field goal instead of a TD and lost by 3 or less.

Eric Moulds is a beast that just won't quit. Best offseason acquisition in quite some time

QFT

swtbound07
09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
bump