PDA

View Full Version : Ryans was a nonfactor today.

Ibar_Harry
09-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Why was that, because Payton took him out of the game by passing over him and away from him. That is not Ryans' fault and I'm not saying he had a bad game. I simply saying one guy is not going to make the defense and other teams are going to avoid him and figure out how to avoid him. The Colts are a bigger passing team that they were before and that's by design.

No Pass RUSH, No Pressure on the QB - particularly Manning - is a tonic for disaster. What is wrong with the defense? Is it coaching again? Do we have the worst set of defensive palyers the worlds ever seen? You tell me, because it certainly looks like it. A poor defense puts a heck of a lot of pressure on your offense.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 01:00 AM
We are going to need a clean up on aisle nine, we got some spilled milk on the board.

Ibar_Harry
09-18-2006, 01:07 AM
We are going to need a clean up on aisle nine, we got some spilled milk on the board.

Let's throw out another interesting stat. The 1st time the Colts punted in the ball game was at the end of the 3rd series in the 2nd half. Does that tell you anything? The Colts did not have to punt the ball in the 1st half. There is no way you can play that way and win.........................

gtexan02
09-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Is it talent? Is it coaching? Lets take a look:

DL
DE - Williams - 1st pick 1st round
DT - Johnson - 16th pick 1st round
DT - Seth Payne - 4th round
DE - Anthony Weaver - 2nd round pick
Key Backups - Babin (1st round), Peek (3rd round), Kalu (5th round)

LBs
WILB - Greenwood -3rd round
MLB - Ryans - 2nd round
SSLB - Orr - undrafted

DBs
CB - Robinson - 1st round
CB - Sanders - 4th round
Nickel CB - Buchannon - 1st round
FS - Brown - 6th round
SS - Earl - 4th pick

So now that we see that, what do you think? We can't have that many busts on one team. Almost our entire DL is 1st round talent. We have 2 DBs who were 1st round picks. 2/3 of our linebackers were 3rd round or earlier.

Many of the players who aren't 1st round were evaluated and brought in as special FA acquisitions!

Unless we have the worst scouting division in football, we are wasting a lot of talent. There is no way that a DL whose worst starter in terms of draft position is Seth Payne should not get ANY pressure on a QB two weeks in a row.

JDizzle
09-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Giving him the ball in the red zone on the opening drive is a recipe for disaster as well. Fumbling the ball in the red zone on a decent drive doesn't help either.

You're silly to think our defense can roll into Indy and stone Peyton Manning cold in his tracks. However, I don't think it was too much to ask from the offense to stay on the field longer than they did. The best defense against a potent offense like that is to keep them on the sidelines for as long as you can and hope you are able to match them score for score, which we did not do. We didn't even come close, actually.

I don't think Indy's defense is the kind that strikes fear in O.C.'s, which is why I was extremely disappointed today. I knew we would lose but I didn't think our offense would do so poorly.

gtexan02
09-18-2006, 01:14 AM
We weren't asking them to stone him cold in his tracks. We were asking them not to give up 500+ yards of offense, 43 points, and let Manning have his 7th best day as an NFL passer (espn.com recap)

Scooter
09-18-2006, 01:15 AM
No Pass RUSH, No Pressure on the QB - particularly Manning - is a tonic for disaster. What is wrong with the defense?

manning averages 4,000+ yards a season, and is the least sacked qb in football. they started the season 13-0 last year, and are 9-0 against the texans. manning throws for 300+ yards every other week. c'mon now, none of this is new, the only thing that touches peyton is a pure blitz 3-4 defense. what took us out of the game is the fumbles ... a poor offense puts a heck of a lot of pressure on the defense. expecting for us to shut down manning is just silly, peyton's going to get his points, we just have to retain posession on offense longer to keep him off the field. an opening drive that moved forward as opposed to "sack, fumble, indy TD" would've changed the game entirely.

michaelm
09-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Why was that, because Payton took him out of the game by passing over him and away from him. That is not Ryans' fault and I'm not saying he had a bad game. I simply saying one guy is not going to make the defense and other teams are going to avoid him and figure out how to avoid him. The Colts are a bigger passing team that they were before and that's by design.

No Pass RUSH, No Pressure on the QB - particularly Manning - is a tonic for disaster. What is wrong with the defense? Is it coaching again? Do we have the worst set of defensive palyers the worlds ever seen? You tell me, because it certainly looks like it. A poor defense puts a heck of a lot of pressure on your offense.

I agree with your post, but I will say one thing...
If the opposing team is consciously planning around one of our defenders, it may be the first time in franchise history.

:logo:

Ibar_Harry
09-18-2006, 01:26 AM
manning averages 4,000+ yards a season, and is the least sacked qb in football. they started the season 13-0 last year, and are 9-0 against the texans. manning throws for 300+ yards every other week. c'mon now, none of this is new, the only thing that touches peyton is a pure blitz 3-4 defense. what took us out of the game is the fumbles ... a poor offense puts a heck of a lot of pressure on the defense. expecting for us to shut down manning is just silly, peyton's going to get his points, we just have to retain posession on offense longer to keep him off the field. an opening drive that moved forward as opposed to "sack, fumble, indy TD" would've changed the game entirely.

Everyone makes mistakes, but the COLTS did not punt once in the 1st half. That means the defense did not stop the COLTS even once. That seems to me to be a little one sided. As a matter of fact the COLTS didn't punt until the 3rd series in the 2nd half. Of course in the 1st half the interception we had was nullified by a penalty which once again lead to a short touchdown after what looked like an excellent play. I suppose the offense is responsible for that too. In the 1st game we had the lead and couldn't hold it for very long and were playing catch up before you knew what happened. OUR DEFENSE JUST PLAIN SUCKS................................

dalemurphy
09-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Well, we have a SLB who is a converted DE, a rookie MLB, and an average WLB. In addition, we two young, inexperienced SS- one of them playing FS for us. Also, we have a dime CB starting opposite Dunta. I think that's a recipe for trouble against INDY.

By the way, I thought the DLine played fairly well. Mario got penetration quite a bit and had some legitimate pressure as well. Peek forced a hold. I thought TJ was very good. Weaver was solid and Babin beat his man a few times.

Things are going to get better this year. It's not like last season's 0-2. We were moving backwards fast last year. This year, there will be steady improvement all season.

Scooter
09-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Everyone makes mistakes, but the COLTS did not punt once in the 1st half. That means the defense did not stop the COLTS even once. That seems to me to be a little one sided. As a matter of fact the COLTS didn't punt until the 3rd series in the 2nd half. Of course in the 1st half the interception we had was nullified by a penalty which once again lead to a short touchdown after what looked like an excellent play. I suppose the offense is responsible for that too. In the 1st game we had the lead and couldn't hold it for very long and were playing catch up before you knew what happened. OUR DEFENSE JUST PLAIN SUCKS................................

no doubt, our D looked bad, and is probably going to continue to look bad for a while. the most seasoned vet in our backfield is dunta, and that's just scary. besides that, we played the entire game in a nickel defense (same thing capers did unsuccessfully) and tried to run spread blitzing which a line of their calibre is going to immediately pick up. to blitz manning you have to have an obvious overload to one side. i'm just trying to put the game into context. indy didnt punt in the first half, and we only punted twice. their first drive started at about our 10 yard line and they had 14 points within 5 minutes, effectively making us one dimensional immediately. once we got the offense moving however, the defense picked up a bit and we started getting into the backfield. not that we were able to stop manning at any point in the game, but i'm not going to lose any sleep because this is the result that the colts offense gives almost everyone else. what the difference is however, is that our self inflicted turnovers effectively gave them 14 points and gave peyton more time on the field.

*the INT actually turned into a fumble recovery for us

Cruuuuuuuz
09-18-2006, 02:08 AM
mark my words....3 years time...Ryans will be in Hawaii at the the end of the season.

Grid
09-18-2006, 02:12 AM
is there a point to this thread?

Malloy
09-18-2006, 03:40 AM
is there a point to this thread?

Ibar: "Do we have the worst set of defensive palyers the worlds ever seen? You tell me, because it certainly looks like it."

A valid question, I guess there is a point to the thread.

threetoedpete
09-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Ibar: "Do we have the worst set of defensive palyers the worlds ever seen? You tell me, because it certainly looks like it."

A valid question, I guess there is a point to the thread.

Yes our tallent sucks. The DBs are playing for contrats in '07. Gonna be fun to watch. If Culpper gets real healthy against us....pretty much says the preseason build up was coach speak. There is no pass rush therefor there will be no significant change in turnovers. We're circling the drain. We cannot establish the run, therefor, Carr & the offense is once again one demensional. He gets to bite the turff fifty or so more times in '06. ect. ect. ect. Be fun to see if this line can lay down for seventy sacks this year. Lock down an effort in futility that no franchise will ever match again in our life time.

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Is it talent? Is it coaching? Lets take a look:

DL
DE - Williams - 1st pick 1st round
DT - Johnson - 16th pick 1st round
DT - Seth Payne - 4th round
DE - Anthony Weaver - 2nd round pick
Key Backups - Babin (1st round), Peek (3rd round), Kalu (5th round)

LBs
WILB - Greenwood -3rd round
MLB - Ryans - 2nd round
SSLB - Orr - undrafted

DBs
CB - Robinson - 1st round
CB - Sanders - 4th round
Nickel CB - Buchannon - 1st round
FS - Brown - 6th round
SS - Earl - 4th pick

So now that we see that, what do you think? We can't have that many busts on one team. Almost our entire DL is 1st round talent. We have 2 DBs who were 1st round picks. 2/3 of our linebackers were 3rd round or earlier.

Many of the players who aren't 1st round were evaluated and brought in as special FA acquisitions!

Unless we have the worst scouting division in football, we are wasting a lot of talent. There is no way that a DL whose worst starter in terms of draft position is Seth Payne should not get ANY pressure on a QB two weeks in a row.

I cannot believe that you would post this without taking a deep breath, collecting your emotions before you hit submit reply. The reasons were known before the draft, after the draft and in the pre season. Moreover, playing against the Eagles and Colts offense also does not help.

The sky is not falling in Austin. Mr. McNair feel free to move the team when you are ready.

gtexan02
09-18-2006, 09:39 AM
I cannot believe that you would post this without taking a deep breath, collecting your emotions before you hit submit reply. The reasons were known before the draft, after the draft and in the pre season. Moreover, playing against the Eagles and Colts offense also does not help.

The sky is not falling in Austin. Mr. McNair feel free to move the team when you are ready.
Sorry if you took this the wrong way, and I don't know what you're fretting over in that post? The problem as I've said all along is that Capers coached this team to be losers. We rarely went for the win, and often just tried to work on basic fundamentals or keeping it close. Players out of position were forced to adopt schemes not favorable to their positions.

Again, I don't really know why you think I think the sky is falling. All I'm saying is that Capers coaching philosophy ruined a lot of players. We have way too much 1st round talent on our team to be playing this bad. Why? Because the majority of them are going to need to be brought back up to average, and then be given new opportunities to develop into their potential.

This wasn't meant to be an anti-kubiak or anythign type of post

TheOgre
09-18-2006, 09:40 AM
The key to beating Manning is not necessarily to sack him a lot so much as get him out of his rhythm. Putting pressure on him without "sending the troops" is key because you still need guys in coverage or he picks you apart. I like the idea of us taking a pass-rushing DE 1st overall, but I am just not sure that Mario was worthy of that draft position. Time will tell.

JDizzle
09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Now that I go back and watch the game again, it was Ryans who stoned Addai at the goal line and held him up for the strip. So, the "non-factor" stuff is bogus being that it was our only turnover of the day and came at a crucial point in the game. Big play by the rook.

rmartin65
09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
He did pretty well. 9 tackles or something like that.