PDA

View Full Version : McClain: Spencer out for year

Divebomb
09-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Thank goodness! Well at least the announcers said that his x-rays are negative!

RocKetHtown
09-17-2006, 02:27 PM
yup he is a good kid:whip:

the wonger need food
09-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Not so fast. Results unknown.

Divebomb
09-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Yea I heard that, damn!

rmartin65
09-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I wish him the best, please dont be hurt.

joetexan
09-17-2006, 04:29 PM
" Rookie LT Charles Spencer is gone for the year with an injury to his left leg. That's worse than losing one game. He's one of the things that had gone right. He's on his way to establishing himself as a Pro Bowl left tackle."

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

RiotCommander
09-17-2006, 04:31 PM
I thought so, I really didn't want to hear this. The lone bright spot for our offensive line goes down. I really don't know what to think about this.

jerek
09-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Maybe we'll look to bring back Seth Wand?

Mike Kerns
Is Eric Winston going to get a chance? Or are we sticking with Salaam?

the wonger need food
Wow.... way to go Ron Dayne.

I can't believe this season is over after week 2... again.

PapaL
09-17-2006, 04:33 PM
This totally sucks! Get whooped up on and lose Spencer. Well maybe Winston will have some time to prove himself. This still sucks though.

the wonger need food
09-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Is Eric Winston going to get a chance? Or are we sticking with Salaam?

Salaam is not a long-term option. Winston is going to have to step up. Either way, Carr is going to lead the league in sacks again.

PapaL
09-17-2006, 04:34 PM

I missed that play, what happened? (More ammo for my anti-Dayne ways)

wrestler4life
09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah. How is this Dayne's fault. Did not see it.

texflex513
:crying: man this kills my day.

Tulip
This is terrible news.

Hardcore Texan

Not only is the glass half empty, the half that has liquid in it is actually poison...oh and the sky is falling.

Relax a bit, I am disappointed too but we can stay positive.

GP
09-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Let me guess, its David Carr fault

LOL!

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner, Winner, Lobster Dinner!

You're 16 and already you are wiser than most.

Good post. Thanks for making me laugh today.

jerek
Dayne ran right into Spencer's knee. Hard to assign blame (Spencer for getting pushed back, Dayne for not cutting around him and avoiding him) but it's a bad blow.

Tulip
Yeah. How is this Dayne's fault. Did not see it.

He stepped on Spencer's leg while carrying the ball out of the backfield.

Mysteryhunt
dayne stepped on him or something i cant remember

K.D.
yeah, this really is some terrible news. I really don't like Ron Dayne now, he messed up the NEXT BIG THANG. You FOOL!!:shoot:

PapaL
09-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Dayne ran right into Spencer's knee. Hard to assign blame (Spencer for getting pushed back, Dayne for not cutting around him and avoiding him) but it's a bad blow.

Well we got him for his punishing run style. Maybe he forgot what team he was on.

bigtex77
09-17-2006, 04:37 PM
This really sucks. He is one of my favorite players. :crying:

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
I missed that play, what happened? (More ammo for my anti-Dayne ways)

Dayne tripped over Spencer's ankle.

Mr. White
09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Not really Dayne's fault. That kinda stuff just happens. He was looking for his run lane and Spencer's leg was stretched out in the way. He wasn't looking down to see that Spencer's leg might be there.

The Colts were knocking their own players out of the game, too. Just one of those days.

GP
09-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Dayne was signed from Denver to specifically run into Spencer's leg.

Now I can see why Kubiak wanted him in here so badly.

It was just unfortunate. Spencer had his man locked up, was standing the blocker straight up (as usual) with his legs farther out than his shoulder's length, and Dayne bumps one of Spencer's legs as he runs by Spencer. I think Dayne would have missed Spencer, but perhaps the blocker made enough of a push to get Spencer's leg(s) into Dayne's path right at the moment that Dayne was coming past Spencer?

Didn't look like a bad hit, but considering the size of Spencer, and all the weight that is on his own body (not to mention the weight of the defender that he was propping up during the block) and you can see how it could do some damage.

run-david-run
09-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Dayne was signed from Denver to specifically run into Spencer's leg.

Now I can see why Kubiak wanted him in here so badly.

It was just unfortunate. Spencer had his man locked up, was standing the blocker straight up (as usual) with his legs farther out than his shoulder's length, and Dayne bumps one of Spencer's legs as he runs by Spencer. I think Dayne would have missed Spencer, but perhaps the blocker made enough of a push to get Spencer's leg(s) into Dayne's path right at the moment that Dayne was coming past Spencer?

Didn't look like a bad hit, but considering the size of Spencer, and all the weight that is on his own body (not to mention the weight of the defender that he was propping up during the block) and you can see how it could do some damage.They showed it in slow motion, and his knee bent way in...painful to watch.

Texans Pride
09-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I'd wait on thinking is gone a bit longer. That was Justice's blog and it was written during the game before the X-Ray reports were done. I think he was speculating. It could be true, but I'm not 100% buying into it just yet.

Hottoddie
09-17-2006, 04:47 PM
From the looks of things, I thought it was just a bad hyper-extension. Now, I'm wondering if he fractured a bone. This definitely blows chunks.

However, in Salaam's defense, he didn't do a bad job of replacing Spencer.

Grid
09-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Hate to see this happen... but I look forward to his return next season. At least we know that we have a true left tackle.

GP
09-17-2006, 04:49 PM
They showed it in slow motion, and his knee bent way in...painful to watch.

Man, I thought it looked more like when your knee hits someone else's knee-The bone-on-bone hit, if you will: Looks bad, feels bad, but not exactly a season-ending type of hit.

I guess we'll have a "for sure" word on what happened soon enough.

I saw the slow-mo, too. I didn't think it bent inward like you are saying. Maybe it did, though.

Grid
09-17-2006, 04:54 PM
It looked to me like the common (but serious) turf type injury.

When I saw the replay, it looked like Dayne kicked Spencer's left leg in the shin area... this forced Spencers knee to straighten, due to the angle his leg was at from the block he was laying on the DE.

The problem was that his cleats stayed stuck in the turf, so when the knee straightened.. the pressure of the DE pushing on him bent his foot up at an ackward angle. I thought he had probably ripped/pulled something in his ankle or his knee.

It didnt look to me like his knee "bent inwards".. looked more like his knee was just completely straight.. while his foot was still stuck in the turf.. and the linemen put alot of pressure on his knee/ankle, causing the injury.

Grid
09-17-2006, 04:58 PM
I guess I missed the All-Pro Charles Spencer. The one I saw was letting his quarterback killed, and on a running play - A RUNNING PLAY - got pushed 9 yards backwards, causing the running back to trip over him. Ron Dayne was making the play he was supposed to be making. Spencer was getting pushed around like a seven year old girl with a broken leg.

Our offensive line did perform better after Spencer and Flangan were out. Hey, I want these guys to succeed as much as anyone, but so far our O-line is the worst it has ever been. Probably the worst O-line in NFL history. Which is great since our defense is also the worst in NFL history.

Its important to remember that a tackle.. especially on a running play.. is not necessarily supposed to hold his guy at the line of scrimmage.

The "pocket" is called the pocket because it is a FREAKING POCKET. If the point of run blocking or pass blocking was to keep the defensive line stuck at the line of scrimmage.. then they wouldnt call it a pocket, they would call it the backfield.

Watch any game with any team..you will notice that the left and right tackles will USUALLY get backed up 7-10 yards.. that is because they are pushing that blitzer back BEHIND the quarterback.. creating a pocket that the quarterback can sit in. In running plays.. you DONT WANT the tackles to stay at the line of scrimmage..you want them moving those Dlinemen away so that a hole is created for the RB to run through.

In the case of the play in question..yah it would have been great if Spencer would have just picked up the lineman by the ankles and used him to beat back the rest of the colts defense so Dayne could walk into the endzone. But in the absence of superman.. I will settle for a guy that can open holes for our RBs to run through.

HomeBred_Texan
09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Now wait a minute...

How the heck does anyone know we have lost him for the season? He was taken to the ER in INDY and no reports have come out yet. I certainly don't put a grain of salt on what Justice says.

I will sit by and wait for the official report from the Texans before I believe he is lost for the season.

edo783
09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd wait on thinking is gone a bit longer. That was Justice's blog and it was written during the game before the X-Ray reports were done. I think he was speculating. It could be true, but I'm not 100% buying into it just yet.

I noticed that also. I'm with you on this and I'll wait for official word because I just don't trust Justice. He just pull to much stuff out of his backside just to make noise with for my liking. Hope he is wrong and it's just a hyper extension or bad bruise.

PapaL
09-17-2006, 05:04 PM
ESPN Reports:

Left tackle Charles Spencer fractured his lower left leg midway through the third quarter and could be lost for the season, Kubiak said. Center Mike Flanagan hobbled off in the fourth quarter with a left foot injury and did not return.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=260917011

Hervoyel
09-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Maybe we'll look to bring back Seth Wand?

I think so. If the Texans aren't on the phone to Seth Wand today then I'm very dissappointed with them and I think it means they really are dedicated to doing things the "Kubiak way" whether it's the right way or not.

Spencer didn't just blow Wand out of the water in preseason so bringing Wand back in would not be an immense drop-off. They felt that Spencer had more upside than Wand but I don't even completely know if that's true. Spencer didn't have Wand's "baggage" from previous seasons but I looked at them both as projects from the ground up this year.

My recipe for fixing this (on offense) is: keep plugging away, bring back Wand to replace Spencer, start Dayne and leave him in there, and become the running team that Gary Kubiak likes to tell us we are.

On defense they need to learn how to tackle somebody. Smith's guys look like a bunch of clowns out there and I wish I could find some venue to tell him that to his face.

Sure he might kick my butt for making fun of his defense but I'd take one for the team if the defense could be there to see it. Then maybe they'd learn how to hit somebody at least.

Goldeagle
09-17-2006, 05:07 PM
That just stinks, Spencer seemed ok

Grid
09-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I dunno.. if Wand got his feelings hurt by Capers and company back when they benched him... then I can only imagine how distraught he is gonna be after being cut.

Rightnow
09-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I guess he will go on IR and Seth Wand will be brought back in. I swear that this offensive line must be cursed!

Hervoyel
09-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Hopefully he comes back pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. If he doesn't then he hasn't learned anything about playing at this level and we really don't want him back.

PapaL
09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I guess he will go on IR and Seth Wand will be brought back in. I swear that this offensive line must be cursed!

The Curse of Tony Boselli.

Sportsfan
09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Spencer is out for the year according to this report.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/09/track_the_texan.html

Grid
09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
A running pocket? WTF? A pocket is for the QB to pass from. On a RUNNING PLAY, of course you don't want the tackle to get locked up in place at the line of scrimmage...you want the tackle to push the defensive man back off the line of scrimmage, or to the side to open a hole. You don't want the defense in the offensive backfield on a running play where he can get a hand on the runner, or push you into the runner. I will also settle for a guy that can open holes for our RBs...don't know we will ever have that....

Well watch the play again, and you will see that Spencer had opened a hole. He just got pushed back a little too far and Dayne hit his leg.

Im not gonna dog on an LT that did his job and made the "mistake" of getting pushed back 6 inches further than what would have been "optimal".

Bullfan
09-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Broken tibia, he's out.

The Dude Abides
09-17-2006, 05:23 PM
How does he have a broken tibia if the x-rays were negative? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious

Grid
09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
the x-rays that they did at the stadium were "inconclusive" and they sent him to the hospital in indi for more x-rays.

The announcers said they were negative..and then immediatly corrected themselves and said "well they arent negative, they just didnt see anything so he has headed to the hospital for more"..

thats basicly what they said anyway.

Bullfan
09-17-2006, 05:31 PM
You can't believe evrything you hear from the media and you can't believe everything the Texan's spin machine put out about released players. But, I heard that Spenser broke his tibia and he's out. Say a prayer for a speedy recovery for him guys, he's had a bad NFL experience so far by being thrown to the wolves too soon.

Grid
09-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Or 20 yards further back than "optimal". If he pushed his man 10 yards downfield would be optimal. I am not going to dog a RB for getting tripped by his O-lineman even though everyone else seems to think Dayne ran into him on purpose.

The point is that Spencer has been a very solid LT for us in just his rookie season, and you are nitpicking some petty little crap that shouldnt even be considered as an issue.

gjmac2
09-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, it's a bad injury, if true, but not as bad as a torn ACL or MCL.

BTW, is Wand still available?

(No I do not ask this question toungue-in-cheek)

Texans Horror
09-17-2006, 05:55 PM
I don't see anything out there qualifying him as a player of x team, so I guess he is still an option. I think it's the right move, too. Salaam was never intended to be a replacement for the season. Even if he is, the Texans have no backup for Salaam. So hopefully Wand is brought back in, either as starter or as Salaam's backup.

Bullfan
09-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Wand is available, but, does Wand want to play for a head coach who doesn't want to work with him? And will Kubiak invite Wand back, that's the BIG question.

Grid
09-17-2006, 05:57 PM
well in case of an emergency.. there is Pitts. But yah, id like to see us bring someone else in..and if Wand is available, and can handle it.. he has been through the preseason with us so he seems the obvious choice.

Texans Horror
09-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Pitts is definitely an option at this point, but I'm not sure the coaches want to sacrifice guard duties. Either way, we are down a lineman and need to add a backup, whether at guard or tackle.

TexansFanatic
09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Wow. This is just an amazingly bad piece of news, topping a typically dismal Sunday afternoon performance by the home team. This team is really doing a great job of living up to the low expectations of an expansion franchise. I never, in my wildest nightmares, would have expected a team headed by such a smart, classy guy like Bob McNair to be such an utter failure for such a long time...

Texans Horror
09-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Wand is available, but, does Wand want to play for a head coach who doesn't want to work with him? And will Kubiak invite Wand back, that's the BIG question.

Good points, as always. But I have to think the opportunity to play in the game is better than watching the game. I would think this is something the coaches will address quickly, once they have a solid assessment of Spencer's injury.

Hervoyel
09-17-2006, 06:01 PM

I would hope that Kubiak isn't stupid enough to ignore a guy who almost made the team and who spent all off-season and preseason learning his offense. If he's that dumb then I'm not sure how I feel about his "regime".

At the same time I don't think Seth Wand can afford to let pride get in his way. He needs a job I'm sure and this is his ticket back into the NFL. Even if he doesn't make the team next year this is his chance to get better along with the rest of the Texans and to get on film for other teams.

rmartin65
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
NO! I am not happy about this. Hope him a speedy recovery.

Hervoyel
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow. This is just an amazingly bad piece of news, topping a typically dismal Sunday afternoon performance by the home team. This team is really doing a great job of living up to the low expectations of an expansion franchise. I never, in my wildest nightmares, would have expected a team headed by such a smart, classy guy like Bob McNair to be such an utter failure for such a long time...

I used to worry that we'd be "like Cleveland" but now I don't have any illusions about that. I know we're not that good. Now I just pray we don't end up being like Tampa Bay.

TexansFanatic
09-17-2006, 06:03 PM

Guys are cut all the time and brought back to the same team. The same way guys are benched and then brought back to start. If you can't take that kind of thing, you don't have the right to call yourself an adult, much less a highly paid professional athlete.

Texans Horror
09-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Guys are cut all the time and brought back to the same team. The same way guys are benched and then brought back to start. If you can't take that kind of thing, you don't have the right to call yourself an adult, much less a highly paid professional athlete.

I know this isn't where you're going, but I have to add: based on the antics of TO and many other sports celebrities, I would think that maturity does not qualify you to be a highly paid athlete.

painekiller
09-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I think so. If the Texans aren't on the phone to Seth Wand today then I'm very dissappointed with them and I think it means they really are dedicated to doing things the "Kubiak way" whether it's the right way or not.

You beat me to it. I think Wand is starting next week against Washington. Sad part is this sets Spencer back a year in his development. Yes he can get the mental stuff but there is nothing like doing it. I hope it is not an achiles tendon.

PapaL
09-17-2006, 06:56 PM
A note on the whole Pitts option (moving back to LT), we dont want two weaken to spots on OL by moving Pitts over. I think he really needs to stay at his current spot and start gel with the interior guys. Kinda like playing Mario at DE until he has that down. But then again it is tough to have lower quality player manning the LT spot.

Grid
09-17-2006, 07:14 PM
A note on the whole Pitts option (moving back to LT), we dont want to weaken to spots on OL by moving Pitts over. I think he really needs to stay at his current spot and start gel with the interior guys. Kinda like playing Mario at DE until he has that down. But then again it is tough to have lower quality player manning the LT spot.

I agree.. ideally we want Pitts to stay at guard. But it is an option if we NEED someone at LT.

hot pickle
09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
i thought salaam played good, or am i wrong?

Crazyhorse
09-17-2006, 07:26 PM
It is a terrible blow to lose Spencer, no one wants to see a player injuried. Wand was let go because he wasn't physical enough so how is bringing him back going to help us???
The best bet now is to give Winston his shot. With his experience at the position he may surprise everyone and do a great job. I wouldn't count him out, he is a young man on a mission and now he is going to get his chance.

mexican_texan
09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Winston is better suited at RT than LT right now. However, he and Salaam could be rotated.

Hutch13
09-17-2006, 07:28 PM
I hope he has a speedy recovery. I really liked this pick and i think he will be a good football player.

brewhaus
09-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I used to worry that we'd be "like Cleveland" but now I don't have any illusions about that. I know we're not that good. Now I just pray we don't end up being like Tampa Bay.

Right now, being like Houston is bad enough.

aj.
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
This is a huge blow. Spencer was on his way to becoming one of the best young left tackles in the league. Hopefully it was a clean break and there isn't any collateral damage in the leg so everything heals normally and he can come back strong next season. I feel bad for him.

But that's the NFL. You have to strap 'em up and go out there and fight again next week.

Scooter
09-17-2006, 08:56 PM
really is a shame, spencer has looked fantastic so far. what makes that incredible is he's a 3rd round rookie in only his second NFL game, playing the most demanding position on the line. this kid's going to be special, hopefully he recovers fully and quickly and we have our "franchise LT" in place.

i also hope they bring wand back in. i thought he looked solid during preseason (even stronger than spencer on running plays) and he would be the only other player with a chemistry already at LT. the only thing wand lacks is a mean streak, maybe this time of unemployment has put that fear and determination in him.

is there any word on flanagan's injuries?

edo783
09-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Haven't heard a thing on Flannagins injury, but that is potentially more of a problem than Spencers.

TexansFanatic
09-18-2006, 02:15 PM

or New Orleans....