PDA

View Full Version : Does the phrase "Any Given Sunday" still apply?

gtexan02
09-16-2006, 12:06 AM
In today's NFL, does the phrase any given Sunday still apply?

texan279
09-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Yep, except when we play the Colts...:hides:

Texans86
09-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Absolutely, every team has shot at winning every week. Teams in this sport are more evenly matched than any other sport I can think of...thank goodness for the salary cap. That's why I love this sport. Every game counts, and nothing can be taken for granted.

blockhead83
09-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Absolutely. The tide can turn on a dime in this league, and it always will. One great play can make as much as a 14 point difference in a game, ie. when Marcus Coleman intercepted that pass at the goal line against KC and took it back the distance. Little nick nack penalties and fouls can play a big role in the outcome of games as well. How many times have we seen the Texans run or throw for a big gain or even a TD only to get it called back. There's way too many variables to be able to say with certainty that any one team will win a game. If that wasn't true, I wouldn't have so much trouble stopping myself from watching/listening to the Texans' games.

gtexan02
09-16-2006, 12:26 AM
You don't think there are some games, that if the teams played each other 10 times, the same team would win every game? Pittsburgh vs. SF last year? I think they could play 100 times and the Steelers would have won every game

vast321
09-16-2006, 12:32 AM

underdog

One entry found for underdog.

Main Entry: unĚderĚdog
Pronunciation: '&n-d&r-"dog
Function: noun
1 : a loser or predicted loser in a struggle or contest
2 : a victim of injustice or persecution

:redtowel:

blockhead83
09-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I think if the Steelers played the 49'ers of last year 100 times, the 49'ers would take a handful of those games. Even bad teams have good days, and on a few of those good days the stars would align and the Steelers would lose. Look at the Texans of 2004 (I think), we beat the Panthers and took the Patriots to OT. Those two teams went to the superbowl that year, they were the best teams in the NFL. Even a bad team can give a contender problems under the right circumstances.

thunderkyss
09-16-2006, 12:36 AM
You don't think there are some games, that if the teams played each other 10 times, the same team would win every game? Pittsburgh vs. SF last year? I think they could play 100 times and the Steelers would have won every game

That is probably the perfect example. Pittsburgh was very streaky last year. Their road to the SuperBowl was just that, a streak......

They were not as dominating last year as they had been in years past.... I can't remember who was on that team, but the last time they made it to the AFC Championship, I thought they were the team to beat, the best team in the league. & I thought that was the best time for them to win it all.

Last year, I never would have picked Pittsburgh to go all the way.... they were a wild card.

Last year, the AFC Championship Game, I think the best team that Sunday won, but the best team in the league didn't even make it to the SuperBowl.

I'm not saying the Steelers don't deserve that championship. They won it fair & square, but any given Sunday applied to that team on a lot of Sundays.

bigtex77
09-16-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm not saying the Steelers don't deserve that championship. They won it fair & square, but any given Sunday applied to that team on a lot of Sundays.

Don't tell Seahawk fan that. :penalty:

HoustonFan
09-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Still applies.

Buffi2
09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Without a doubt! That is one of the reasons being a football fan is so exciting.....ya' nevah know.:poker:

riverside
09-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Texans have to beat the Colts someday. Could be tomorrow, could be in the year 2999.

TexansTailg8r
09-16-2006, 10:16 AM
I think Houston has a "puncher's chance", and to be honest, I really didn't feel that way last year about too many games.:boxing:

TexanBorn51
09-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Any given Sunday, Monday, Saturday, Thursday night, and/or rephrase the saying any Given Day. Yes the Texans always have a fair chance to win any game just like the one tomorrow. David shot down Goliath with a slingshot. Remember all teams favored or not lose at one time or another. No team is so called perfect and talent and injuries is proned to anyone at anytime. I know everyone out there has experienced surprises and will continue do do so. When all ends it will still be okay as long as the Texans just improve and play some very competitive football with all the so called good teams.:fans:

mexican_texan
09-16-2006, 11:13 AM
The game is not won on Sundays, it is won in the offseason and during the week. From what I've heard about Kubiak, this team can win many games this year, including the Colts. What we need is pressure on Peeton in order to force them to use the running game to beat us.