PDA

View Full Version : Should Mario stay at DE or play up and down the D Line

HomeBred_Texan
09-15-2006, 06:41 PM
I know pretty much how this will go, but wondered anyways.

And I know we are not coaches and have no knowledge of what is going on, but what is your "opinion" on this subject?

texflex513
09-15-2006, 06:47 PM
I think the coaches should at least let him get comfortable with his natural spot first, and then let him roam after he gets accustomed to the NFL playing in one spot.

yumyum
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
They should just leave him at DE and let him tear ***** up. Yes, we played a good OL last week, we play a good OL this week, and i think washington has a pretty decent line too. so we prob wont see anything from Mario until week 4. If they should put anybody at DT it should be Weaver, he's big and slow enough and just leave Babin at DE all the time too, JMO.

michaelm
09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
I would've predicted that there wouldn't be a single vote for moving him around.
I'm surprised that there is one.

:logo:

HomeBred_Texan
09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I would've predicted that there wouldn't be a single vote for moving him around.
I'm surprised that there is one.

I wonder who voted that?

dat_boy_yec
09-15-2006, 08:25 PM
The more I think about it the more I realize Mario has to stay at one spot. I mean I just had a thought. How does moving Mario inside on critical downs affect the confidence of our current DT's. I mean it's like the coach basically says it's nice while your in there, but we don't trust you in this critical situation. We'd rather have a rookie who doesn't even play your position take your spot on critical downs. I mean to me it just gets worse the more I think about it and the thing I'm left wondering is. Why didn't Kubiak ever think of this, I mean even before pre-season started and they toyed with the idea Mario said his preference was DE.

Grid
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I see it like this.. its pretty obvious that Mario is struggling out there being moved around. On top of that, the Media and Mario himself have said they would prefer he stay in one spot, and would be more successful if he did. Additionally.. he looked bad against Philly, and we were having a hell of a time creating any kind of pass rush.

Taking all this into account.. I come to the conclusion that Kubiak, and probably everyone else who is allowed to put the title "coach" in front of thier last name, KNOWS that Mario would probably look alot better if we put him at DE and left him there.

So if thats the case.. why is he being moved around? I dunno.. but he is.. and im not yet prepared to say that our coaches are screwing up after one game.

So.. I voted "Stay put at DE"..but my official answer is "lets wait and see what happens"

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 08:48 PM
If we believe GaryK's word is enough to start David Carr...... to pay him an $8 mill bonus to stay on our team, then when the man says moving Mario is the best thing for us in the long run, then we need to trust him, and let him develop Mario.

He thinks Mario can handle it... I believe Mario can handle it.

Let me put it to you this way. When I learned to play piano, I was learning Mary had a little lamb. Right now, I can beat out a couple of show tunes.

My Daughter started off playing Mozart & Chopin......... let's just say she's better at her age, than I am now.

michaelm
09-16-2006, 09:14 AM
If we believe GaryK's word is enough to start David Carr...... to pay him an $8 mill bonus to stay on our team, then when the man says moving Mario is the best thing for us in the long run, then we need to trust him, and let him develop Mario.

He thinks Mario can handle it... I believe Mario can handle it.

Let me put it to you this way. When I learned to play piano, I was learning Mary had a little lamb. Right now, I can beat out a couple of show tunes.

My Daughter started off playing Mozart & Chopin......... let's just say she's better at her age, than I am now.

so, you're saying that Mario's behind the curve at learning the piano?
That's just great... another thing for us all to worry about.

mexican_texan
09-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Like I've been saying, Mario has to adjust to playing at a different speed and dealing with many linemen. I think the coaches are trying to speed up his development by having him face many linemen instead of just focusing on the LT and TE.

thunderkyss
09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Like I've been saying, Mario has to adjust to playing at a different speed and dealing with many linemen. I think the coaches are trying to speed up his development by having him face many linemen instead of just focusing on the LT and TE.

That may be....... going against Tackles, he's going against the more athletic.... faster guys, going against TEs, he's going against the bigger stronger guys...

maybe.

tburdette
09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Someone on NFL LIve said it best. If he moves up and down the line he is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I really think that sums it up. We need him to be a great edge rusher and it takes time to learn the technique in the nfl so we should just leave him where he is supposed to be.

thunderkyss
09-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Someone on NFL LIve said it best. If he moves up and down the line he is a jack of all trades but a master of none. I really think that sums it up. We need him to be a great edge rusher and it takes time to learn the technique in the nfl so we should just leave him where he is supposed to be.

you do understand there is a reason none of the guys on NFL Live aren't coaching NFL football teams don't you?? If any of those guys were given the choice between being an NFL coach, or being a TV analyst, there is only one reason they would choose TV analyst...

That being said, if you take a guy like Jason Taylor, and move him around to DT from time to time, I doubt that he'd be less effective as a DE. He might not show you anything at DT....

But a guy like ReggieWhite........ especially when you can put your "DwightFreenish" guy on the weekside & another effective Power/Speed guy on the strongside..... Yeah, he'll make an impact. He'll be feared regardless where you put him on the line, and the advantage is given to him when he lines up at tackle, because the opposing gaurd ain't never had to work against someone that big, that strong, and that fast at the same time.

dat_boy_yec
09-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Here's a question if you think what Kubiak is doing with Mario is right. How would you feel if he started trying A.J. at RB? He's got the build and speed to do so. I mean you don't mind taking snaps away from Mario at his natural position, why not do the same with A.J. I mean the guy might be better than what we got in the backfield right now.

stevo3883
09-16-2006, 05:32 PM
54 million to "take up blockers"? uh, no thanks.

TexansMVP
09-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I wonder if we are still going to try to move him around this week against the Colts especially with their no-huddle offense. I'm rooting for Mario to have a big game soon but I'm not sure how he is going to respond against the no-huddle as it can cause a lot of confusion and fatigue.

TexanBronco
09-16-2006, 07:03 PM
I voted Stay Put at DE. cause I think its the best for him right now @ least till he get better and understands it all

mexican_texan
09-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Here's a question if you think what Kubiak is doing with Mario is right. How would you feel if he started trying A.J. at RB? He's got the build and speed to do so. I mean you don't mind taking snaps away from Mario at his natural position, why not do the same with A.J. I mean the guy might be better than what we got in the backfield right now.
AJ isn't a rookie, and if he was, he would be used as a utility player, returning kicks, running screens, and yes, even running, in some teams' offenses.

dat_boy_yec
09-16-2006, 07:30 PM
AJ isn't a rookie, and if he was, he would be used as a utility player, returning kicks, running screens, and yes, even running, in some teams' offenses.

What's that supposed to mean, AJ would be better to use as a utility player, because he's had time to master his craft. I mean if Kubiak says he wants to challenge his players why not try this with A.J. because he's not a rookie. That's a BS reason and you know it. Everyone complains about our DT's, but be honest our RB's aren't anything to write home about and well basically I say that using A.J. like that is a bad idea just like using Mario like that is a bad idea.

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Let Mario concentrate on one area. Even Dwight Freeney said that he thought it was a bad idea with what the Texans are doing to Mario. They need to keep him at the end, let him stay there, and master the position. Enough said.

vtech9
09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
I didn't vote....

I may be thinking a little outside of the box here, but I think Mario should be left at DT. I believe that the Texans have a much better D-Line when Mario is at DT with Peek and Babin at the DE's. IMHO, we are a much more devestating defense when they line up like that. Mario is just too strong and too fast for the slower interior O-linemen. Coming straight up the middle, Mario seems to get much better penetration, and with the other two coming off the ends, I think it would be so destructive to an offense, especially one like Indy's.

dat_boy_yec
09-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I didn't vote....

I may be thinking a little outside of the box here, but I think Mario should be left at DT. I believe that the Texans have a much better D-Line when Mario is at DT with Peek and Babin at the DE's. IMHO, we are a much more devestating defense when they line up like that. Mario is just too strong and too fast for the slower interior O-linemen. Coming straight up the middle, Mario seems to get much better penetration, and with the other two coming off the ends, I think it would be so destructive to an offense, especially one like Indy's.

What makes you say that. Is it just hypothetical or can you tell me a play I should look for to see evidence of this. Because when we played the Eagles it didn't look like that, matter of fact when Babin got his hands on McNabb, Williams wasn't even on the field. So tell me what makes you say that.

jmerog
09-16-2006, 08:31 PM
so, you're saying that Mario's behind the curve at learning the piano?
That's just great... another thing for us all to worry about.

haha-good one.:rolleyes:
i like to laugh-rep coming your way.

jmerog
09-16-2006, 08:32 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to michaelm again.

vtech9
09-16-2006, 09:04 PM
What makes you say that. Is it just hypothetical or can you tell me a play I should look for to see evidence of this. Because when we played the Eagles it didn't look like that, matter of fact when Babin got his hands on McNabb, Williams wasn't even on the field. So tell me what makes you say that.
I said what I thought, you say what you think. If you will notice, I said I believe or I think...It is my OPINION, if you don't agree with it, that's fine by me, because it won't affect me one little iota.

Speedy
09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
IMO, they should leave him in one spot until the game slows down for him. Then you can start moving him around.

HoustonFan
09-16-2006, 09:45 PM
If Mario was/is good at DE and it makes him an effective/productive pass rusher, then they should leave him at DE.

thunderkyss
09-16-2006, 10:46 PM
What's that supposed to mean, AJ would be better to use as a utility player, because he's had time to master his craft. I mean if Kubiak says he wants to challenge his players why not try this with A.J. because he's not a rookie. That's a BS reason and you know it. Everyone complains about our DT's, but be honest our RB's aren't anything to write home about and well basically I say that using A.J. like that is a bad idea just like using Mario like that is a bad idea.

I like the idea..... I think Babin & Peek are better DEs, than our DTs are at DT. I think it makes sense to put our 4 best pass rushers on the line in obvious passing situations.

if we need to pick up 3 yards, I'd rather have Lundy or Dayne in the backfield, and AJ wide right. There are about a half dozen other postions I'd much rather have AJ (to take advantage of his talents) than putting him in the backfield.

mexican_texan
09-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Rookies will almost always have a lot to learn when transitioning to the pro game. Coaches sometimes find a way to make their rookies of SOME use instead of just holding clipboards and playing special teams. AJ now should never be playing special teams considering he is an elite member of the WR position(Pro Bowler) and contributes to the team from that one position.

Kaiser Toro
09-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Let Mario concentrate on one area. Even Dwight Freeney said that he thought it was a bad idea with what the Texans are doing to Mario. They need to keep him at the end, let him stay there, and master the position. Enough said.

I have seen this a number of times on this board. Freeney can only play DE due to this size and the fact that he has an unbelievable motor allows him to go by much bigger Tackles due to his speed and mobility. Mario, much like Freeney, will offer a matchup problem where ever we put him on the line. I have seen or heard nothing that makes believe that Mario cannot handle the breadth of each position.

dat_boy_yec
09-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Of course Mario can play both positions, so can Weaver. Heck Babin and Peek could play that position if they had too. The question isn't if they can play the position, but if it's the best position for them to succeed. There was some fast twitch article floating around and while I didn't agree with most of it, one thing that really struck me was about elite pass rushers not being moved inside. What kind of message does that send. I mean speed is more important on the outside where the DE is on an island then it is on the inside where there is limited room to work with. Mario should stay on the outside, if he proves he can't be an elite pass rusher than sure move him in, but if that happens then it kind of signals that we didn't get the maximum value out of our pick, because a DE is supposed to be a pass-rusher and a DE taken 1st overall should provide exceptinal skills at his position.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
If you watch any of Mario’s games in college he survived on strength and speed and very little coaching, I think his biggest problem is actually one of his greatest strengths! He is a very contentious and hard working guy who accepts the pressure on him and wants to succeed. However, I think now that he is getting some coaching he is trying to think too much which is slowing him down! If you watch any of his film from practice on Hey Rookie or any of the many shows that have covered his progress you can see he is asking questions about foot and hand work trying to improve his game. That is a positive except is appears he is coming of the line to slow and allowing the O’linemen to get him squared up and then he is finished. In my opinion which is worthless to most they should leave him at DE and give him a few techniques and tell him to go all out until he gets a feel for the game. It is possible to over work at a position, over pursuit, getting to close into an O’lineman where they can get you blocked up etc. Mario will be fine but as it stands now I think he is being asked to do too much on a team that has weakness at multiple positions. A lot of the players Mario has been compared to were on teams with more talent that had come of an awful season allowing them a high draft pick.