PDA

View Full Version : Stink & Golic breakdown Eagles film on Mario (on NFL Live)

GP
09-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Stink and Golic both say the Houston coaching staff is doing Mario no favors by making him a "Jack of all trades, and a Master of none." They want to see Mario stay at one position, as do many of us here on this board.

They both agree that he's a speed rusher being placed in unnatural positions and situations that hamper his productivity (biggest gripe is seeing him further inside the line).

Showed game film of Eagles where Mario is "giving o linemen his chest" instead of doing something to get the linemen's shoulders turned or off balance. They said he's playing right into linemen's plans bu giving up too much of his chest on the snap, and that it's how he is getting stood up and then doubled very quickly (and so easily).

Also said he had only one real counter-move in college, and that he'll need to learn more really soon.

Showed Eagles film of o linemen beating Mario off the snap and able to punch or stab Mario in the chest and therefore close the gap, not allowing Mario to gain separation or make a move upfield.

They were very respectful of the Texans, and of Mario, but they both agree that Mario is not fully to blame for his initial lack of production.

Was a good segment on NFL Live.

Snapple
09-15-2006, 06:26 PM
That's probably one of the more fair and unbiased evaluations of his performance I've heard.

Hey, he obviously is athletic. He just needs to work on his technique.

RiotCommander
09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I think that I have been very fair about everything Kubiak has done. This is the only one that really has been getting to me. I think at least Mario should be left at DE until he learns it. If you want to move him around after that then have at it.

Malloy
09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Let us know if this bit of video is accessable online at some point, would be cool to see it myself :)

texan279
09-15-2006, 06:35 PM
I agree with their take 110% and thanks for sharing.

Double Barrel
09-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Were any of the HoF great DEs moved around during their rookie years? I'd be interested to see the history of these players and how they were developed.

I heard an interview earlier this week on the radio where Mario said he'd prefer to play one position all game. Being a pretty reserved dude in interviews, I was a little surprised at his bluntness. He did not sound too happy about the constant change, but I'm sure he'll do whatever he's told to do.

I'm just not all that sold on Richard Smith, to be honest. I don't want to see another first overall pick stunted in growth because of improper coaching techniques.

mexican_texan
09-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Freeney said that Mario should play one position, and Mario told reporters that he agreed, that it would be nice to focus on just one positoin.

There has been no other player with Mario's athleticism, not to my recollection. Therefore, I think that the coaches are pushing him and trying him at various positions to show him that his college moves are now useless and must adjust to playing with various different linemen. He has to learn how to get in the head of his opponent and how to properly use his speed and strength all the while developing techniques.

K.D.
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
I totally agree with leaving him at one position but our DT'S have to step THEIR game up too. I think Kubiak would leave him at DE, if he was really comfortable with our DT's. He will continue to move around until we get that STUD at DT who can penetrate and let Mario do his thang.This will be a conversation piece all year long until we get that DT, via free agency or draft.

run-david-run
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I certaly understand the gripe about all the change, and want Mario to suceed, but you can also see the temptation to move him around. Getting Peek and Babin on the field along with Mario and TJ sounds great, in theory at least. Hopefully we will find a happy medium between what is best for the team and what is best for Mario (which hopefully will be the same thing).

Not sure any of that made any sense...oh well

bigTEXan8
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
the staff just needs to leave mario at de, and let him bum rush the qb. he doesn't have the mass (as in size, b=gut) like regular dts do. just let him rush the qb like he's supposed to from the de position. gonna screw this kid up. good take by mike and mike.

Porky
09-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Put me squarely in the leave him at DE camp. Let him master that spot (hopefully) then start teaching that dog some new tricks. You don't get a puppy and expect it to be in the circus the first week right? First, you teach it to sit until it has mastered it. Then you move to the next trick. So far, the only thing he seems to have mastered is the roll over and play dead trick.

hollywood_texan
09-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Is this another mishandling of another #1 pick in the draft?

Maybe from an overall defensive team perspective it is better to move Mario around? We won't know unless they let Mario loose at DE and see what happens.

However, managing the Williams vs. Bush discussion is also important. The more they keep this up, probably the more he will struggle (particularly from stat a perpsective), and then there will be more of this discussion that the Texans made the wrong selection at the #1 pick.

In my opinion, I think they are asking too much of him. Stick him at DE and give him certain responsbilities, then cut the man loose to create some havoc. It just seems a little crazy to move the guy around because other guys can't fit in the system and carry their own weight. Which seems to be the reason they are moving him around.

phantom17
09-15-2006, 07:07 PM
I think this is a very good observation! They just have to let Mario master one position at a time! Free Mario!!!!:homer: :fireball: !

bigTEXan8
09-15-2006, 07:10 PM
well here's another thing i was thinkin' of...you keep throwing him around on all the dl positions, are the texans going to wear down even faster? rookies have a hard enough time playing 16 games compared to the 12 or 13 the played for 4 years in college. i just don't want to see him be a speed bump out there.

Grid
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
if anything this falls on our Dline coach.. with Kubiak taking a bit of blame for not stepping in and doing something.

But there might be a method to the madness, so im not gonna get my panties in a twist after just one game.

gtexan02
09-15-2006, 07:16 PM
Does anyone else find it disconcerting that they cut Robaire Smith, and now are so short at DT they have to move Mario there? I don't like it one bit

underdog65
09-15-2006, 07:17 PM
:ok: Leave Mario in one position. I believe that once he masters DE then he will be able to adapt to DT at a later date. Give him a chance to show everyone that he wasn't a bust.

Grid
09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Does anyone else find it disconcerting that they cut Robaire Smith, and now are so short at DT they have to move Mario there? I don't like it one bit

huh? Sorry I wasnt aware that cutting Robaire meant we were playing Mario at DT..due to "lack of depth". We were playing Mario at DT while Robaire was still on the roster.

hollywood_texan
09-15-2006, 07:35 PM

They played a clip of Kubiak's discussion regarding Smith's cut on Texans Huddle.

Kubiak said it was a function of two things:

1. Seth Payne playing well
2. Robaire playing under an expensive contract

I guess Kubiak is trying to make due while managing the salary cap.

I liked his answer, it seemed very straightforward.

Malloy
09-15-2006, 07:49 PM
It may be that Kubiak WANTS to leave him at one position, but WHAT position? He may be trying to figure out WHERE he should be... dunno.. speculating :)

underdog65
09-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I believe that Kubiac is treating these first few games as preseason. I believe he won't stand pat on positions or players until the bye week. By that time he will know what he has and what is the best way to utilize them.

dat_boy_yec
09-15-2006, 08:37 PM
I believe that Kubiac is treating these first few games as preseason. I believe he won't stand pat on positions or players until the bye week. By that time he will know what he has and what is the best way to utilize them.

He shouldn't be. He knows this is the regular season and every game counts. This is not anywhere near the time to keep evaluating our guys.

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 08:57 PM
He shouldn't be. He knows this is the regular season and every game counts. This is not anywhere near the time to keep evaluating our guys.

Until someone steps up to play DT, Mario at DT gives us the best chance to win, especially on obvious passing situations...

I think Kubiak was clear that he's looking for someone to step up at the DT position. & for some reason people play differently in the preseason than they do in the regular season. for some reason, people play differently in practice than they do on Sunday. LIke it or not, he has no choice but to evaluate players as the season goes along.

TJ looked like a changed man in the preseason, he got himself on the first team. Sunday.... he didn't look like a starter. Don't get me wrong, I'm in TJ's corner, and I know you can't judge TJ on one game(clean slate and all that) but the man didn't show up on payday. So we're looking for two people to step up at the DT position.

dat_boy_yec
09-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Until someone steps up to play DT, Mario at DT gives us the best chance to win, especially on obvious passing situations...

I think Kubiak was clear that he's looking for someone to step up at the DT position. & for some reason people play differently in the preseason than they do in the regular season. for some reason, people play differently in practice than they do on Sunday. LIke it or not, he has no choice but to evaluate players as the season goes along.

TJ looked like a changed man in the preseason, he got himself on the first team. Sunday.... he didn't look like a starter. Don't get me wrong, I'm in TJ's corner, and I know you can't judge TJ on one game(clean slate and all that) but the man didn't show up on payday. So we're looking for two people to step up at the DT position.

If that was the case then he wouldn't put Mario in at DT at all, but rotate them in and out through out the game to see who does better throughout the whole game. Not just 1st and 2nd down. If he's really in the evaluating mode he would want to see the DT's for more than half of the snaps wouldn't he. I watched the game again and you know who stuck out in my mind. TJ..... Thomas Johnson that is. Here's the thing I see, our DT's are doing an acceptable job, none of them are going beyond the call of duty, but really how can you expect them too. How can you expect them or any of our d-line for that matter to find any kind of real rhythm. 1st down 2nd down get out for the most important down and hope the guys on the field don't mess up. I mean what kind of evaluation is that? What is this let's waste half of our season to see where we're at. Then in the second half we'll come out to play. That's a BS attitude and no self respecting coach would take that approach. If that's the way Kubiak thinks of operating then maybe we would have been better off with another coach.

dat_boy_yec
09-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Okay TK explain that to me. How is Mario moving inside give us the best chance of getting pressure on the QB. If I recall correctly that wasn't the case this sunday. On the one play where Babin got to McNabb, Mario wasn't even on the field. You telling me that Babin and Peek are better at getting to the QB than Mario can be? If that's so then why in the hell did we even pick Mario if we were so set @ DE and needed a DT?

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Okay TK explain that to me. How is Mario moving inside give us the best chance of getting pressure on the QB. If I recall correctly that wasn't the case this sunday. On the one play where Babin got to McNabb, Mario wasn't even on the field. You telling me that Babin and Peek are better at getting to the QB than Mario can be? If that's so then why in the hell did we even pick Mario if we were so set @ DE and needed a DT?

I've already verbalized a theory, that Kubiak is wishing he didn't sign Weaver. That he now realizes we were actually weaker at the DT position than we were at DE.

It's an understandable mistake to make, being we did come from a 3-4 scheme, and Peek & Babin both were projected as 3-4 OLBs..... & they've been playing too good, not to put them on the field.....

I still don't see Peek as an every down DE...... he might be, but I haven't seen anything to prove he is yet..... I'd like to see him take Orr's spot on passing down, (heck, replace Orr alltogether) just to get Babin, Tj, TJ, Mario & Peek on the field at the same time, especially since they continue to drop him in coverage from time to time.

I agree, TJ (Thomas Johnson) looked impressive against Philly.

But Darren Howard, and Jevon Kearse weren't on the field for 3 of Philly's 5 sacks....... what does that mean??

Double Barrel
09-15-2006, 09:48 PM
if anything this falls on our Dline coach.. with Kubiak taking a bit of blame for not stepping in and doing something.

But there might be a method to the madness, so im not gonna get my panties in a twist after just one game.

I agree with both of these points. I believe Kubiak is a smart coach and has valid reasons for the way he's doing things.

I think Smith was cut for financial reasons more than anything.

And they're moving Mario inside to allow Peek and Babin to play, IIRC. There is also theory that moving him around will make him better, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

We shall see, though.

Dawgnme
09-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Ditka did an interview yesterday that they replayed on 610. He said that the Texans should play Mario across the line to exploit the other team's weaknesses. To a degree, I agree, but not for the same reasoning. We may just need to exploit HIS weaknesses. To be honest, Mario's technique just isn't there yet at ANY position on the D-Line. As an outside pass rusher, 1) he is getting beat off the ball (even when he lines up in a sprinter's stance). 2) Mario too often is letting the tackle nullify his outside foot and gain leverage by getting under his shoulder pads. The key to any O-Lineman's effectiveness is his hand placement - he's got to develop a swim move. As in interior lineman, 1) he too often overruns plays, biting at fakes only a channel 13 cameraman would fall for (how horrible is that broadcast?). Maybe exposing him across the line will show him that he needs to develop his skills more, with his physical gifts, he could really be a game-changer. I don't know if Mario's development speaks to the coaching proficiency at NC State, but I'm willing to bet Ron Meeks' job is safe. Hang in there, fellas!

dat_boy_yec
09-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I've already verbalized a theory, that Kubiak is wishing he didn't sign Weaver. That he now realizes we were actually weaker at the DT position than we were at DE.

It's an understandable mistake to make, being we did come from a 3-4 scheme, and Peek & Babin both were projected as 3-4 OLBs..... & they've been playing too good, not to put them on the field.....

I still don't see Peek as an every down DE...... he might be, but I haven't seen anything to prove he is yet..... I'd like to see him take Orr's spot on passing down, (heck, replace Orr alltogether) just to get Babin, Tj, TJ, Mario & Peek on the field at the same time, especially since they continue to drop him in coverage from time to time.

I agree, TJ (Thomas Johnson) looked impressive against Philly.

But Darren Howard, and Jevon Kearse weren't on the field for 3 of Philly's 5 sacks....... what does that mean??

I can agree with the first part. I liked Weaver and when we signed him I didn't consider Mario an option as our DE group looked solid, but even then we had a shot @ Grady Jackson and he got picked up by the Falcons. I think they'll have to deal with what they have @ DT and deal with it the best they can. Howeve IMO moving Mario in there is not the solution. You wanna know how I would do it if I wanted to maximize our personnel. Depending on which side we think will provide the better matchup. Weaver/DT/DT/ Mario or Babin/ DT/DT Babin third downs Mario/DT/DT/ Peek. You flip flop Mario while playing to your personnel strengths and when you wanna give Mario a rest Weaver/DT/DT/Babin. You know what I mean that's a solid DE rotation and then work out something similar for the DT's. I just don't agree that putting Mario inside will benefit us that much.

As for your last point. It shows us that Morrency picked up the blitz, but can't do anything else other than cutblock and give up the sack. (could this be a reason he's no longer on the team.) and that an empty backfield against the blitz is probably not ever a good idea unless the secondary is giving up alot of cushion so that we can immediately fling it to someone.