PDA

View Full Version : My Hat Is Off...To REAL Texans Fans!

Luv_ya_blue
09-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I just want to take my hat off to the REAL Houston Texans Fans! :fans:
I've never really been able to get the "Texans Bug." I was devastated when the Oilers left town. I WAS a RABID Houston Oilers fan! Right there with the Derrick Dolls, the Blues Brothers and Crazy George, raising the roof in the "House of Pain"! My family had season tickets for like eleventy-hundred-years! If the Oilers were playing at home, I WAS THERE! Face paint, signs, and the big foam Luv Ya Blue Cowboy hat! I WAS THERE! I knew every stat! My aunt and I used to watch Moon's feet in the pocket and could predict with almost 100% accuracy when he would throw a pick ("happy feet" we'd call it). Ray Childress, William Fuller, Doug Smith, Lamar Lathon, Cris Dishman, Drew Hill, Ernest Givens...and the like! NOT saying that the Oilers were necessarily better...it was just easier for me to get "up" for football back then. And before someone says it...I do still live in the past when it comes to "Luv Ya Blue." I'm still holding out hope that the new commish will find a loophole in the contract and will announce "The Houston Oilers will be making a return to Houston, and on a technicality, Bud Adams will be tarred and feathered, dragged through the streets of downtown Houston and then thrown into the depths of the Gulf of Mexico." With that said, I digress...

But YOU GUYS are some of the most RABID FANS that I've seen since those days. Admitedly, I haven't been able to plug into the Texans like I did with the Oilers...don't have season tickets, haven't lived in the Houston area in 3 years (other than this past summer for a few weeks), and only been able to go to a couple Texans games. But I just wanted to say that I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU GUYS!!! You know your stuff. Sure there is the occasional "homer," but that's part of what makes you guys great. I myself, am NOT a Texans homer, but with the likes of many of you guys...I'm proud to call myself a fan! I never like to call people out by name because I'm always scared that I'm gonna leave someone off, but at the risk of offending someone (sorry if I do), I'll just say that being a Houston Texans fan is easy when you look around and see yourself surrounded by the likes of: Herv, Cak, DB, Toro, The All-knowing Banner-Waving Texans Chick :texflag:, Jerek, Lucky, Thunderkyss, Porky, SWT, PD, Texan Asylum, Red Zone, Vinny, Wolf, Led, Grid, Cloak, Chuckm, Gwallaia, TL13, TF881, and on and on and on! You guys are DIE HARD FANS! And I salute you! texanpride

Keep it up! Ward off the Trolls! And Fan the Flame of Houston Texans Football. Go Texans!
:gotexans1

ps--Riot, too!

Texan Asylum
09-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks Blue, I sense a season of change on the horizon.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

To you my Friend...

RiotCommander
09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Even though I was left out by some clerical error :cool: well said.

Edit: Ahahah thanks for adding me. :dance:

Jerry Jones
09-15-2006, 08:57 AM
great post!! ;)

gsbtxn
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Not to call anyone out by name, but one of your "diehards" is sporting a #10 Titan jersey in his avatar. I call that something other than diehard...

Texan Asylum
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
SWT IS a Texans fan...but he wanted Vince instead of RB or MW...that doesn't make him UN-Diehard. He's nobody's :homer: .
My list wasn't intended to be a listing of blind fans that are 100% PRO-(everything)-TEXANS...but what makes this board great is that it is full of fans of the GAME, and the Team, not just the players.
Well said Blue. SWT IS a Texans fan...his choice of attire is something that his Lady Friend will have to correct!:tease:

gsbtxn
09-15-2006, 09:23 AM
SWT IS a Texans fan...but he wanted Vince instead of RB or MW...that doesn't make him UN-Diehard. He's nobody's :homer: .
My list wasn't intended to be a listing of blind fans that are 100% PRO-(everything)-TEXANS...but what makes this board great is that it is full of fans of the GAME, and the Team, not just the players.

Not trying to say he's not a fan or anything. If he wants to be a Texans fan and sport Titans gear, that's his business. It just doesn't fit into my personal categorization of a diehard.

michaelm
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Hang in there Luv_ya_Blue.
I know it's hard to (as you say) 'plug in' to the Texans, but when they become a perennial winner here in the not too distant future, it will be easier to get past the pain of the Oiler betrayal and become a die hard too.
Enthusiasm is contagious!

FirstTexansFan
09-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Good post Luv_ya! Unlike most of the folks here, I don't claim to know a dang thing about football. I'm just a fan. I pull for my team, and as I don't live in Houston anymore, my choices for Texans news is limited. I look to these forums daily to read the latest information available, and it's a joy to have a great place to come and see some very knowledgable fans post their views. Some posters anger me, some make me laugh, and some should be coaches I think because they start talking greek football formations, as I attempt to decipher what the heck they are talking about hehe I have bookmarked every link given to blogs, media outlets, and even video footage of days gone by that I still remember with fond memories. So thanks posters, you make my day, each and every day.

Texan Asylum
09-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Good post Luv_ya! Unlike most of the folks here, I don't claim to know a dang thing about football. I'm just a fan. I pull for my team, and as I don't live in Houston anymore, my choices for Texans news is limited. I look to these forums daily to read the latest information available, and it's a joy to have a great place to come and see some very knowledgable fans post their views. Some posters anger me, some make me laugh, and some should be coaches I think because they start talking greek football formations, as I attempt to decipher what the heck they are talking about hehe I have bookmarked every link given to blogs, media outlets, and even video footage of days gone by that I still remember with fond memories. So thanks posters, you make my day, each and every day.
Good post yourself FirstTexansFan...:)

Nbkan
09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I just want to take my hat off to the REAL Houston Texans Fans!
I've never really been able to get the "Texans Bug." I was devastated when the Oilers left town. I WAS a RABID Houston Oilers fan! Right there with the Derrick Dolls, the Blues Brothers and Crazy George, raising the roof in the "House of Pain"! My family had season tickets for like eleventy-hundred-years! If the Oilers were playing at home, I WAS THERE! Face paint, signs, and the big foam Luv Ya Blue Cowboy hat! I WAS THERE! I knew every stat! My aunt and I used to watch Moon's feet in the pocket and could predict with almost 100% accuracy when he would throw a pick ("happy feet" we'd call it). Ray Childress, William Fuller, Doug Smith, Lamar Lathon, Cris Dishman, Drew Hill, Ernest Givens...and the like! NOT saying that the Oilers were necessarily better...it was just easier for me to get "up" for football back then. And before someone says it...I do still live in the past when it comes to "Luv Ya Blue." I'm still holding out hope that the new commish will find a loophole in the contract and will announce "The Houston Oilers will be making a return to Houston, and on a technicality, Bud Adams will be tarred and feathered, dragged through the streets of downtown Houston and then thrown into the depths of the Gulf of Mexico." With that said, I digress...

But YOU GUYS are some of the most RABID FANS that I've seen since those days. Admitedly, I haven't been able to plug into the Texans like I did with the Oilers...don't have season tickets, haven't lived in the Houston area in 3 years (other than this past summer for a few weeks), and only been able to go to a couple Texans games. But I just wanted to say that I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU GUYS!!! You know your stuff. Sure there is the occasional "homer," but that's part of what makes you guys great. I myself, am NOT a Texans homer, but with the likes of many of you guys...I'm proud to call myself a fan! I never like to call people out by name because I'm always scared that I'm gonna leave someone off, but at the risk of offending someone (sorry if I do), I'll just say that being a Houston Texans fan is easy when you look around and see yourself surrounded by the likes of: Herv, Cak, DB, Toro, The All-knowing Banner-Waving Texans Chick , Jerek, Lucky, Thunderkyss, Porky, SWT, PD, Texan Asylum, Red Zone, Vinny, Wolf, Led, Grid, Cloak, Chuckm, Gwallaia, TL13, TF881, and on and on and on! You guys are DIE HARD FANS! And I salute you!

Keep it up! Ward off the Trolls! And Fan the Flame of Houston Texans Football. Go Texans!

ps--Riot, too!
:fieldgoal

Awesome post. I sent our Texans a letter to pump em up via fan feedback email. I hope it finds em well. I just wanted to let them all know that each and every Texan fan is there with them for the 60 minute fight they endure each game. They ain't alone and we won't abandon them. I have a feeling the 9th time is it. Manning shall taste his own turf several times.

:mario: and the rest are coming :superman:

gooneybird
09-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Hello - Love ya Blue.

Do you remember Coach Bill (?) Peterson and 2 succesive 1-14 seasons?
How about Skip Butler?
It seems to me that Dan Pastorini was sacked a whole bunch at the beginning of his career (Deja Vu?).
How about the first time White Shoes ran a kick back late in the 3rd quarter and half the fans (?) had already left the Dome?

Every year, I hope this will be OUR year.

I have been a Texans Fan from day 1 and no matter how negative the media is or some of the posters on this message board, I WILL continue to look for a positive spin as the Texans proceed toward Houston's first Super Bowl.

Please, keep your positive thoughts coming, too!

Thanks.

santo
09-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Good post Blue.

I have to agree with you about the Houston Oilers. I was heart broken when they left the City of Houston, so I really didn't get into the Texans until now.

Just wanted to mention to all the people here that you all have been a blessing. In the short time that I have been here, I have enjoyed reading people's posts about the players, coaches and games as well as the other things this message board has to offer. My hat goes off to all the Texans fans that have been here thorugh the beginning.:fans:

I really don't consider myself to be a diehard Texan fan yet due to the fact that this is the very first season that I have been keeping up with the team, so I really don't know too much about previous years, other than the 2-14 season from last year when I started watching the games.

To me, this season feels like when the Oilers were rebuilding right before they left to Tenessee.:hides:

Once again thank you all for the insight of the games, players, and coaches especially during OTA's, Training Camp, and Preseason.

I feel excited this season because I know this is a start for Kubiak and co. to see this franchise become great in the years to come! :trophy: :logo:

real
09-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Good post Blu...I agree with you...this mesage board is definitely passionate about their texans...too bad the General population isn't....e to come here and hear positive news about the team...

swtbound07
09-15-2006, 12:30 PM

That might be one of the nicest things people have said about me on these boards. Thanks blue. I call them like I see them....but thanks for putting me on the initial list. Its an honor to be up there with those names

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 12:31 PM

In that case, thankyou very much.....

Porky
09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks for mentioning me! I am a little different type of fan than some. I am less of a real homer, but a die hard fan I am. I haven't missed a snap, pre-season, or regular since August 2002, and unless I am dying or dead, I won't miss any.

I think my philosphy of fandom is summed up pretty well in a post I made a bit ago - Click Me! (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=440579&postcount=25)

DontTreadOnMe
09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
you forgot me... thats DontTreadOnMe... D as in Dog... thanks

Honoring Earl 34
09-15-2006, 02:10 PM
:yahoo: I did'nt get mentioned ... does that make me a bust ?

Tailgate
09-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Its these fans here and many elsewhere that have stuck it out through thick and thin....that will be getting the ultimate satisfaction when this ship is afloat and sailing for the playoffs year in and year out. Our time WILL come.

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 02:45 PM
No busts, in my mind HE-34.
Sorry for leaving you off.
Like I said originally, it's hard to mention people because it's inevitable that I would leave someone off.
:hides:

Way too many guys around here to not miss a few........

jerek, Morknolle, CoachC, Texan279, HonoringEarl-34....... too many good posters....

Insideop
09-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Great post LYB! I gotta ask though, how did a diehard Oilers fan end up in "Big Sky Country?" Was it the job, retirement, etc.... Just curious.

Honoring Earl 34
09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
No busts, in my mind HE-34.
Sorry for leaving you off.
Like I said originally, it's hard to mention people because it's inevitable that I would leave someone off.
:hides:
I just was looking to use the word of the week . :yikes:

swtbound07
09-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Not to call anyone out by name, but one of your "diehards" is sporting a #10 Titan jersey in his avatar. I call that something other than diehard...

For you sir.

To quote my good friend Mos Def in one of my favorite movies

"You don't like me? Thas aiight....I Like me"

I was a texans fan before you were here and i'll be a texan fan after your gone sir. What kind of man calls out another man for his wardrobe? Not to call anyone out by name or anything....

Yankee_In_TX
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Even though I was left out by some clerical error :cool: well said.

Edit: Ahahah thanks for adding me. :dance:

Maybe he's a 'no spin zone' reg? LOL.

Honoring Earl 34
09-15-2006, 04:12 PM
does "REAL" include fans that expect organizational accountability to the fan base when poor franchise decisions (ie. blowing #1 draft picks, signing free agent cadavers, etc.) are made which ultimately impact the quality of the product put before season ticket owners

or

does "REAL" refer to hopelessly delusional, excessively homeristic fans who never second-guess or question a team's direction? see also: Chicago Cubs fans
Start your own thread or stay on the feel good subject .

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
does "REAL" include fans that expect organizational accountability to the fan base when poor franchise decisions (ie. blowing #1 draft picks, signing free agent cadavers, etc.) are made which ultimately impact the quality of the product put before season ticket owners

or

does "REAL" refer to hopelessly delusional, excessively homeristic fans who never second-guess or question a team's direction? see also: Chicago Cubs fans

Luv-Ya's list include individuals who have expressed disappointment of Mario's first outing. But they've all explained in real football talk, and not the usual "Mario sucks" talking out their backside kinda talk.

None of them.... save swt have expressed any disappointment in the decision, because it was a sound football decision...... you can't argue that, without showing a lack of intelligence, & swtbound wouldn't have picked Reggie either.

TexanDave
09-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Great post. You have feedback coming your way.

mexican_texan
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Does this have anything to do with me refusing to call you a Texans fan when you were first starting(the Oilers/Titans thing)?

bigTEXan8
09-15-2006, 06:07 PM
well i would like to say that i'm a texans fan...i feel i am a REAL texans fan. i was off the post board for a while because i got caught up with baseball. but i always kept an eye on this.

phantom17
09-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Terrific post luv_ya_blue! But you forgot something............................you forgot to mention me!:drool: :)

BigDTexansFan
09-15-2006, 08:11 PM
great post!! ;)

speaking of trolls....:hunter:

Double Barrel
09-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Does this have anything to do with me refusing to call you a Texans fan when you were first starting(the Oilers/Titans thing)?

Dude, you're so mean. :cowboy1: I called him out, too...sorry Lyb

Thanks for the props, Luv ya blue. There are a LOT of hardcore Texans fans on this forum...matter-of-fact, I find that the majority of posters (irregardless of post count or sign up date) really care about this team, which is why we find ourselves congregating at this forum.

I was a huge Oiler fan back in the day...born and bred to luv the blue. My mom, of all people, even had an Oiler shrine in our living room, complete with the Luv Ya Blue placard surrounded by pom-poms.

I never stopped loving the team...sure, lean times during the early/mid '80's (along with discovering girls) meant I didn't follow them religiously, but when they got Glanville and Moon, I was hooked again.

The run & shoot days were crazy fun. It was something to watch them breaking records and dominating teams (until it really counted, of course ;)). But...it's like an old girlfriend that I loved with all my heart (at the time)....those days are long gone, and all we have is memories.

And being a FOOTBALL fan to the core, my heart was truly broken thrice (as opposed to just being cracked): Pittsburgh (x2), 35-3 and when Bud took our team and gave it to someone else....this last one being a bummer beyond belief. There was a void for those years without a team...football Sundays still found me watching 9+ hours of football (the "+" being pre-/post-game coverage), but it was never the same. I tried to pick other teams to follow...Green Bay, Denver...but it ALWAYS felt wrong....dirty even.

So when Bob McNair rode into the picture on his white horse, I didn't even flinch about devoting my fanaticism to our new HOMETOWN team, come hell or high water. There was simply no question that this new team would have my undying devotion.

And if it takes decades to get a winning team, I'll be with them (doesn't mean that I won't gripe a lot about them, but I will keep buying season tickets). Because being a fanatic means devotion, through it all, good and bad, because when they do win (and they will), victory will be that much sweeter.

Loud, Proud & Texan :texflag: :redtowel: BEAT THE COLTS!

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
09-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Great post Blue. Must say it is nice to have the MB to come to every night to catch up on our Texans. The guy/gals you have commented on are the best of the best in regards the keeping those of us away from the great state of TEXAS informed on our team. To all on the Board my undieing Thanks. Cant wait for Sundays but the Board helps tide me over till then. Again great post blu and thank to all.

TexansLucky13
09-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Herv, Cak, DB, Toro, The All-knowing Banner-Waving Texans Chick :texflag:, Jerek, Lucky, Thunderkyss, Porky, SWT, PD, Texan Asylum, Red Zone, Vinny, Wolf, Led, Grid, Cloak, Chuckm, Gwallaia, TL13, TF881, and on and on and on! You guys are DIE HARD FANS!

Thank you, Blue! In my eyes you are one of the most respectable and hardcore fans I have ever had the pleasure to talk to. I am honored that you are a Texans fan! If there were ever an NFL Fan Draft.... you would be a 1st rounder, no doubt!

:texflag:

texan279
09-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Way too many guys around here to not miss a few........

jerek, Morknolle, CoachC, Texan279, HonoringEarl-34....... too many good posters....

Thanks TK, as well as you, I know me and you have had our "discussions" before lol, but we're all here for the same reason, love of the Texans. Now everyone gather 'round...:grouphug:

TexanBorn51
09-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Great post and I second the motion BigTime. I'm with you and go Oiler back just as far and this forum has been a wonderful tribute to all Texan Fans and eveyone here. Not to mention it's one great looking forum site I have ever seen. Thanks HoustonTexans.com for the info, memories, and excitement that it brings and always looking forward to a Texan game and the seasons to follow.:fans:

Hardcore Texan
09-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Dude, you're so mean. :cowboy1: I called him out, too...sorry Lyb

Thanks for the props, Luv ya blue. There are a LOT of hardcore Texans fans on this forum...matter-of-fact, I find that the majority of posters (irregardless of post count or sign up date) really care about this team, which is why we find ourselves congregating at this forum.

Loud, Proud & Texan :texflag: :redtowel: BEAT THE COLTS!

Nice choice of words!!! :cool:
It will be very sweet when our team is doing great, as we have stuck with them through thick and thin.

sk8termom
09-16-2006, 10:20 PM
Texans fans are the classiest in the NFL! I have to admit that's why I've stuck around so long and adopted the Texans as my #2 team. All of you DESERVE to have a winning team! Hope it comes soon. :respect:

Brandon420tx
09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
I'll just say that being a Houston Texans fan is easy when you look around and see yourself surrounded by the likes of: Herv, Cak, DB, Toro, The All-knowing Banner-Waving Texans Chick :texflag: , Jerek, Lucky, Thunderkyss, Porky, SWT, PD, Texan Asylum, Red Zone, Vinny, Wolf, Led, Grid, Cloak, Chuckm, Gwallaia, TL13, TF881, and on and on and on! You guys are DIE HARD FANS!

Thanks dude!

I think that there is a good mixture of both types of fans on the boards. It takes both kinds to make it work, IMO. For me, the guys/gals mentioned in my original post MOST DEFININTELY represent a fanbase that have (moreso than most on this board) held the FO, Coaches, Players and even fans to a certain level of accountability by reporting accurate and opinionated comments for the rest of us. But I think that the :homer: 's represent a certain type of "fan" as well. Just a very different type of "fan" than I'm referencing on this thread. IMO, the type of Texans Fans that I'm referencing are far from Homers! Those guys are the REAL DEAL!

I guess I'm in the :homer: catagory.

Oh well, I embrace it with open arms!

GO TEXANS 15-1 WHOOOOOOOOOO:redtowel:

Doug
09-17-2006, 07:52 PM
When I first started out on this board I was a big time homer. It was my first time on a message board and my first time following a team from the get go. My Texans players or any of it's personnel could do no wrong; They were the best in the world and nobody could tell me different. I've gone from being overly optimistic to extremely pessimistic and on into realistic (most of the time). I still always pick the Texans to win in the predictions thread but if I didn't expect my team to win then my interest in the game wouldn't be what it is. With people like Vinny, Infantry, Texans Chick, Grid, etc. pointing out the facts, stating their own opinions, and bringing important details to light it definitely helps you become a more realistic and knowledgeable fan. I've been here a long time now but my amount of posts don't show it. I tend to only say something when I feel the need to, even if it's just to say, "Huh?". You're a good man Blue for pointing out something that I think alot of people take for granted, we are fans of an NFL team in Houston, TX.

Texan Asylum
09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Doug...I think you just summed me up to the "T".

Not being a football guru, I too get most my facts from this forum and the likes of the people you posted as well as others here.

Also, I am quite possibly the biggest homer there is. The day I quit being a homer to something, is the day I've lost faith in it.

I haven't lost faith in the Texans and still am convinced that this ship will sail!

Great post Doug...

Oilers/Texans
09-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I just want to take my hat off to the REAL Houston Texans Fans! :fans:

But YOU GUYS are some of the most RABID FANS that I've seen since those days. Admitedly, I haven't been able to plug into the Texans like I did with the Oilers...don't have season tickets, haven't lived in the Houston area in 3 years (other than this past summer for a few weeks), and only been able to go to a couple Texans games. But I just wanted to say that I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU GUYS!!! You know your stuff. Sure there is the occasional "homer," but that's part of what makes you guys great. I myself, am NOT a Texans homer, but with the likes of many of you guys...I'm proud to call myself a fan! I never like to call people out by name because I'm always scared that I'm gonna leave someone off, but at the risk of offending someone (sorry if I do), I'll just say that being a Houston Texans fan is easy when you look around and see yourself surrounded by the likes of: Herv, Cak, DB, Toro, The All-knowing Banner-Waving Texans Chick :texflag:, Jerek, Lucky, Thunderkyss, Porky, SWT, PD, Texan Asylum, Red Zone, Vinny, Wolf, Led, Grid, Cloak, Chuckm, Gwallaia, TL13, TF881, and on and on and on! You guys are DIE HARD FANS! And I salute you! texanpride

:gotexans1

ps--Riot, too!

Thanks for talking about the Oilers. Those are some great memories. I could talk Oilers all day long, I sure do miss 'em. I like what you said about wanting the Oilers back, I've thought along the same lines ever since the franchise was put to rest.

Doug
09-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Great post Doug. Rep coming your way.
Thank you, sir. Your initial post that you started this thread with was pretty inspiring and it made me think of the high's and low's that we as fans go through. We all know how quickly we can go from one extreme to another.

ghostlight
09-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey, just posted this in another thread before finding this one. I agree with what Luv_ya_blue said.

The old Oiler fans have been through this before and it doesn't get any easier. I haven't lived in Houston since the 70's however I've continued to go to Houston for all of my sports games whenever I can. I love Houston and have a strong bond with the teams there. The fans I have always sat by are very proud and would rather watch the Texans lose than to watch the Cowboys win if given a choice. This board is a testament to the fact that the love of Houston sports is a way of life for some and a great emotional outlet for others.

This place is great!

Doug
09-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Doug...I think you just summed me up to the "T".

Not being a football guru, I too get most my facts from this forum and the likes of the people you posted as well as others here.

Also, I am quite possibly the biggest homer there is. The day I quit being a homer to something, is the day I've lost faith in it.

I haven't lost faith in the Texans and still am convinced that this ship will sail!

Great post Doug...
Thank you TA. I agree with you that this ship will sail and once it does, I believe we'll be in for a great ride. For the people who've been here since day one, it will be even sweeter.