PDA

View Full Version : Troy Vincent may be cut

tburdette
09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
I just saw on NFL Live that Troy Vincent might be cut. I know he is on IR but they said that he will be back before the season is over. Since the Bills put him on IR does he have to be on IR with us too? If not he would be a good addittion to our secondary.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I just saw on NFL Live that Troy Vincent might be cut. I know he is on IR but they said that he will be back before the season is over. Since the Bills put him on IR does he have to be on IR with us too? If not he would be a good addittion to our secondary.

Too old!

El Tejano
09-14-2006, 03:41 PM
If we are looking for a quick fix this would be a good dude to get. From what I understand he plays safety now. This would be huge for the developement of our safties and a guy like Dunta to have out there also.

Vincent can still play IMO!!!!! We should jump on that.

Holden135
09-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I heard that he will not be back this season. He is 35 right now and after a season ending injury i don't see how he could be back to his regular form afterwards.

Texans Pride
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
I thought you couldn't cut an injured player....

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
I heard that he will not be back this season. He is 35 right now and after a season ending injury i don't see how he could be back to his regular form afterwards.

This claims he'll be out 4-6 weeks. Who knows? He still too old though.:twocents:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player?statsId=2225

infantrycak
09-14-2006, 04:36 PM

He has a hammy issue just like Steve Smith, TO, Hines Ward. He will be available to play at some point this season which is why Takeo Spikes is PO'd about him getting IR'd. Once he is healed, he can be cut from IR by the Bills although he started the season with them so his $2.6 mil contract is guaranteed for the year. He can then play for any team but the Bills.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 05:00 PM
From 1st and 10:
"Putting safety Troy Vincent on the injured reserve list was an interesting move. Vincent is a leader. He's the president of the NFLPA, but he's a smart football player, the kind you want on a young defense in transition under Dick Jauron. He suffered a hamstring injury in the opener, but the Bills made the surprise move of putting him on injured reserve thus ending his season."

Str8tupg42k1
09-14-2006, 06:09 PM
didn't capers and crew try to get him before he signed with buffalo when he was a CB. Could be mistaken, i think it was antoine winfield don't remember i went to get hypnotized so I wouldn't have to remember about the previous regime.j/k

BigDTexansFan
09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
15 year veteran, just how good do you think he will be running after guys not even born yet when he came into NFL:twocents:

tburdette
10-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Alright guys he was cut today and our secondary isnt any better than it was 3 weeks ago. So lets go ahead and pick him up for this year and possibly next and draft a safety that can sit and learn from him.

Please_Evolve
10-12-2006, 04:41 PM
ugh seriously.

"too old" or my other least favorite " too injury prone"

Do any of ya'll remeber Darrell Green? The guy played CB into his late 30's.

Honestly i'm tired of refering to players too old when that is what has plagued this team pretty much after the first season is veterans getting cut and replaced with younger inexperienced players and no key veterans to help them develop. If nothing else it couldn't hurt us to bring him inand see what he has left. A few years ago Bobby Taylor and him made the premier CB tandem in the league in Philly. All it could do is help our secondary...which is ...just not there.

PapaL
10-12-2006, 04:47 PM
I.R. = out for the year

Hulk75
10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
ugh seriously.

"too old" or my other least favorite " too injury prone"

Do any of ya'll remeber Darrell Green? The guy played CB into his late 30's.

Honestly i'm tired of refering to players too old when that is what has plagued this team pretty much after the first season is veterans getting cut and replaced with younger inexperienced players and no key veterans to help them develop. If nothing else it couldn't hurt us to bring him inand see what he has left. A few years ago Bobby Taylor and him made the premier CB tandem in the league in Philly. All it could do is help our secondary...which is ...just not there.

Yea! Looks like Aaron Glenn is doing fine, everytime I watch the Cowboys I here his name, he is what 30+ and I wish (just like Dunta) that he was still here.

Troy can play ball, if he makes our team better then I am all for it.

Mr teX
10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I like Troy, always have since his days in PHilly, but IMO anything is better than CC @ FS. We could pick him up, stick CC on the pine for depth @ the SS, & if Petey comes back, we'd be OK for Nickel situations instead of relying on Mccleon.

tburdette
10-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I.R. = out for the year

I am pretty sure that since the Bills put him on IR and they cut him that he is no longer on IR. And I also think that in order for him to make our team he has to pass a physical.

AustinJB
10-12-2006, 05:05 PM
15 year veteran, just how good do you think he will be running after guys not even born yet when he came into NFL:twocents:

Ummmm...so, are you telling me you don't think he would be an upgrade over CC??

infantrycak
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
I am pretty sure that since the Bills put him on IR and they cut him that he is no longer on IR. And I also think that in order for him to make our team he has to pass a physical.

The Bills designation of IR for Vincent only means he can not play for them this year. He has passed a physical in order to be released. He is guaranteed his salary of $2.6 mil for this season by the Bills. He can go sign with anyone but the Bills at this point.

Dexter McCleon is 33 years old running around out there now. They need to think long and hard about this one.

GP
10-12-2006, 05:50 PM
didn't capers and crew try to get him before he signed with buffalo when he was a CB. Could be mistaken, i think it was antoine winfield don't remember i went to get hypnotized so I wouldn't have to remember about the previous regime.j/k

Winfield was who we had targeted.

My analysis on the Troy Vincent ordeal: IT IS A GIFT.

You don't get players like this dropped into your lap every day.

We have shown we will make a tough cut to make roster space. I believe we have been saying that we were always looking for DBs. The guy is a solid character and would be a good locker room presence. He's playing Safety and not up on the line as a CB.

Age is his only knock against him.

I'd sign him.

AggieTexanFan
10-12-2006, 06:18 PM
They did cut him, and they did for salary cap reasons

A lot of eyebrows were raised when he went on IR for a hamstring injury that was not season ending, but the Bills did it so they could release him after the years end and not be held accountable for his remaining contract

They cut him lose today and he is free to sign with another team from what I understood

Vincent was hurt how the Bills treated him, but is looking to move on

run-david-run
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
I dont see how he could hurt our secondary, get him in here

tburdette
10-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Winfield was who we had targeted.

My analysis on the Troy Vincent ordeal: IT IS A GIFT.

You don't get players like this dropped into your lap every day.

We have shown we will make a tough cut to make roster space. I believe we have been saying that we were always looking for DBs. The guy is a solid character and would be a good locker room presence. He's playing Safety and not up on the line as a CB.

Age is his only knock against him.

I'd sign him.

Finally someone with a little sense. Yes Vincent is old but CC is incompetent and couldnt make a play on my grandmother as a WR let alone TO. If we do not pick up Vincent now while we can then Kubiak is no better than Capers. Plus look at the pickup of Moulds. He isnt getting any younger but look what he has done to open up our passing game and improve Carr. All around bc of his locker room presence and skill Vincent is a solid pickup.

GP
10-12-2006, 07:02 PM
They did cut him, and they did for salary cap reasons

A lot of eyebrows were raised when he went on IR for a hamstring injury that was not season ending, but the Bills did it so they could release him after the years end and not be held accountable for his remaining contract

They cut him lose today and he is free to sign with another team from what I understood

Vincent was hurt how the Bills treated him, but is looking to move on

And you gotta' feel good about a former Bills player (Moulds) who could make a phone call and maybe sweeten the deal with a little "pep talk" to Troy.

Nothing fuels players like getting the shaft from their team and then going to another team to prove they still "have it."

PapaL
10-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Depending on money, why not? The guy is obviously a great locker room presence, can teach all of our DB's something, and is an all around fan favorite. Hopefully he is fully healthy and can contribute right away.

TexanSam
10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
The Texans should be interested. I don't think Vincent would sign here though. He's probably close to the end of his career and he probably wants to go somewhere where he can win this year. I hope the Texans try to sign him at least. It's up to Troy Vincent where he wants to play though.

Reddevil63
10-13-2006, 01:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2622987

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Troy Vincent got his wish Thursday when the Buffalo Bills released the veteran defensive back.

The 15-year NFL veteran said he's fully recovered from a left hamstring injury that led the team to place him on injured reserve four weeks ago.

Vincent is prepared to seek offers from another team.

"I'm ready to go," the 35-year-old Vincent said. "To be fair, it was the right time for me. ... Now's the time for me to look at where I'm at. And I still want to play some football."

While Vincent said he enjoyed his two-plus seasons in Buffalo, he's not pleased with how the team handled him after he was hurt in the season-opening loss at New England. Citing their depleted depth at safety, the Bills placed Vincent on IR even though his injury was considered relatively minor.

Vincent, who has three years left on his contract beyond this season, believes the move was a way for the team to cut him by taking the unusual step of placing him on what's known as IR-minor

SF49erFaithful
10-13-2006, 01:46 AM
The New England Patriots recently worked out three safeties -- Lance Schulters, Keion Carpenter and Brent Alexander. Vincent would be considered an upgrade over any of them.

The Miami Dolphins have been calling around the league, seeking help at safety, and there aren't any better solutions than the player and person the franchise already knows well.

And should the Patriots and Dolphins begin pursuing Vincent as some around the league now expect, then the safety-needy New York Jets are sure to follow.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9724028

Niners hope to sign Troy Vincent

Troy VincentThe 49ers are hotly pursuing five-time Pro Bowl defensive back Troy Vincent, two league sources told The Press Democrat today.

"It's safe to say the 49ers are interested, certainly interested," a source said. "But I think there will be other teams involved in it."

Vincent, a highly respected 15-year NFL veteran whom the Bills released earlier today, is free to sign with any team. The 49ers believe there will be competition for his services. They are prepared to offer Vincent a two-year contract, one source said.

The 49ers are $7.523 million under the salary cap, giving the organization plenty of room to work out a deal for Vincent.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=220601

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...................

Second Honeymoon
10-13-2006, 01:51 AM
We need to look long and hard at Vincent. He can't be any worse than the current play of our secondary including Dunta.

doug

Reddevil63
10-13-2006, 02:04 AM
We need to look long and hard at Vincent. He can't be any worse than the current play of our secondary including Dunta.

dougIf he was brought here he would start over CC Brown

ccdude730
10-13-2006, 02:06 AM
If he was brought here he would start over CC Brown

i think thats the general consensus of the board. cc brown is a backup SS

dbspi
10-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Troy Vincent has already been released by the Bills on his own request. Here is the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-vincent&prov=ap&type=lgns

HOOK'EM
10-13-2006, 04:54 AM
We should get him for sure!

amazingandre
10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Anyone with news on the situation and whether we are looking for him please post something. Sunday is coming real fast............

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd like to know why he was cut.

Attitude probs?

Would he fit here?

Another P Buc?

AtheGreat
10-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I'd like to know why he was cut.

Attitude probs?

Would he fit here?

Another P Buc?

He got placed on the IR for a "minor injury" that he has said to have fully recovered from. Looks like the guy just wants to play for another team than sit on the bench for a year. Our whole FO should be on the phones from now untill the time hes signed. DEFINATE upgrade.

tburdette
10-13-2006, 11:00 AM
He was cut because the Bills were pretty much tired of him and wanted to make room for their new young safeties. They just used the excuse that he was injured for a reason to dump him.

SF49erFaithful
10-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Here is a little update.........

Free-agent DB Troy Vincent, whom the 49ers are pursuing, finally made it to his home in Pennsylvania yesterday evening after being stranded in Buffalo's snowstorm. He got a ride to Rochester, N.Y., and took a flight out of there.

I just spoke with his agent, Linda Bodley. She said Vincent plans to get settled down a little, talk with his family and then spend today, and possibly tomorrow, returning phone calls from teams that contacted him. He will be returning the 49ers' calls. Vincent will probably negotiate his own deal because it is not expected to be a blockbuster contract.

Because there was no power in the Buffalo area, Vincent could not charge his cell phone after the Bills granted his release on Thursday. The 49ers were unable to get in contact with him for the first two days after his release.

The 49ers would love to have Vincent sign with them, but they realize there will be competition for his services. Personnel chief Scot McCloughan said he anticipated half the teams in the NFL might want him. Vincent fits the profile of the veteran player Nolan said he wants on his team.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/

Redskins | Team reportedly has interest in Vincent
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:12:17 -0700

Ryan O'Halloran, of The Washington Times, reports the Washington Redskins are interested in free agent S Troy Vincent (Bills), according to a source.
http://kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Hervoyel
10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd be shocked if the Texans went after him or even made any kind of noise about being interested in him. It took me a while to accept it but I don't think winning is in the forefront of this coaching staffs collective mindset right now. They're building and they know that they can take all year to build if they please and they're not going to be held accountable for much in the way of results this season. Basically I think they've fixed about as much in terms of talent as they're going to fix this year.

Expect the exciting stuff to resume once the season ends and we get to free agency. Until then I think they're going to be trying to get it done with the players we have here.

I can accept that and I even kind of "get" it but I'm not real thrilled about it. I still think the second half of the year will be fun to watch. It will be too late and we'll be out of it but they'll be pretty good over the last 6 or so games. They're just not going to add any old-guy "band aids" even if the old guy can play and improves our team. The last staff was like that and it seems to me that the current staff has that same problem. They like guys who have all the nifty "upside" and who have all the measurables but they're not looking for "players". They're looking for athletes.

It isn't hard to upgrade CC Brown but they're not going to do it. He'll either turn into a player this year or he'll be out the door next year.

Next season I expect the Texans to make some noise in the win column but until then I think we're watching them build and that's about it.

SF49erFaithful
10-14-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd be shocked if the Texans went after him or even made any kind of noise about being interested in him. It took me a while to accept it but I don't think winning is in the forefront of this coaching staffs collective mindset right now. They're building and they know that they can take all year to build if they please and they're not going to be held accountable for much in the way of results this season. Basically I think they've fixed about as much in terms of talent as they're going to fix this year.

Expect the exciting stuff to resume once the season ends and we get to free agency. Until then I think they're going to be trying to get it done with the players we have here.

I can accept that and I even kind of "get" it but I'm not real thrilled about it. I still think the second half of the year will be fun to watch. It will be too late and we'll be out of it but they'll be pretty good over the last 6 or so games. They're just not going to add any old-guy "band aids" even if the old guy can play and improves our team. The last staff was like that and it seems to me that the current staff has that same problem. They like guys who have all the nifty "upside" and who have all the measurables but they're not looking for "players". They're looking for athletes.

It isn't hard to upgrade CC Brown but they're not going to do it. He'll either turn into a player this year or he'll be out the door next year.

Next season I expect the Texans to make some noise in the win column but until then I think we're watching them build and that's about it.

But players like Vincent aren't just signed for their play on the field. He is the type of player that can teach younger, inexperienced guys in the secondary and to be looked up to.

Hervoyel
10-14-2006, 09:21 PM
But players like Vincent aren't just signed for their play on the field. He is the type of player that can teach younger, inexperienced guys in the secondary and to be looked up to.

And don't misunderstand me on this, we need someone like that in our secondary. We need someone who can play back there and who can take charge of the unit. We need someone who has the "innate authority" that only comes with being a starter for years in this league. Someone like that knows how to play and they know how to lead. We don't have jack back there in those catagories right now.

Dunta can play but he's not a leader. Glenn can play but he's in the same boat IMO. CC Brown is depth and special teams on most other teams in the leage and whatever stiff they start at the corner opposite Dunta is just that, a stiff. Young guys need leaders to learn from and they're not going to get it from other young guys and journeymen.

The coaches brought in Moulds and he's done wonders for AJ. Aaron Glenn opposite Dunta made him a much better player. This kind of reminds me of back when the Rockets brought in Steve Francis and then right after that all of the veteran leaders on our team vanished and Steve was it. Junk like that doesn't work. It never works.

Either they'll do something like that during the off-season (add a veteran ala the Eric Moulds move) for the secondary or they'll draft another kid and have them all grow up together. That works too but it always feels like it takes forever. I've seen so many defensive backs move around over the last couple of years who everyone said were "too old" and "too slow" but a lot of those guys are still playing and still getting it done. We passed on them (hell some of them we sent packing) and our secondary still sucks. We've got our "youth" and our "speed", and, don't forget that "athleticism" but we just don't seem to have any people who can get the job done.

SF49erFaithful
10-15-2006, 02:48 AM
And don't misunderstand me on this, we need someone like that in our secondary. We need someone who can play back there and who can take charge of the unit. We need someone who has the "innate authority" that only comes with being a starter for years in this league. Someone like that knows how to play and they know how to lead. We don't have jack back there in those catagories right now.

Dunta can play but he's not a leader. Glenn can play but he's in the same boat IMO. CC Brown is depth and special teams on most other teams in the leage and whatever stiff they start at the corner opposite Dunta is just that, a stiff. Young guys need leaders to learn from and they're not going to get it from other young guys and journeymen.

The coaches brought in Moulds and he's done wonders for AJ. Aaron Glenn opposite Dunta made him a much better player. This kind of reminds me of back when the Rockets brought in Steve Francis and then right after that all of the veteran leaders on our team vanished and Steve was it. Junk like that doesn't work. It never works.

Either they'll do something like that during the off-season (add a veteran ala the Eric Moulds move) for the secondary or they'll draft another kid and have them all grow up together. That works too but it always feels like it takes forever. I've seen so many defensive backs move around over the last couple of years who everyone said were "too old" and "too slow" but a lot of those guys are still playing and still getting it done. We passed on them (hell some of them we sent packing) and our secondary still sucks. We've got our "youth" and our "speed", and, don't forget that "athleticism" but we just don't seem to have any people who can get the job done.

Good post.

In fact we brought in an experienced vet over the offseason in Walt Harris who I think has really helped the team. Although the defense has a whole hasn't been playing great, he has done a good job. He already has 3 picks, 2 FFs and 1 sack this season. Plus, both he and Bryant Young were voted as the defensive captains.

But anyway, I wouldn't mind a guy like T. Vincent on my team at all.

Reddevil63
10-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Just saw on the bottom line on ESPN that he signed with the Redskins

V Man
10-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Just saw on the bottom line on ESPN that he signed with the Redskins

Redskins are quickly becoming the NY Yankess of the NFL. They sign or try to sign every high dollar player who hits the market.

Reddevil63
10-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Ya and you see how well its working out for both of them.

HomeBred_Texan
10-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't understand why we didn't bring him in at least for a looksie. But oh well. He is not available now...

Second Honeymoon
10-16-2006, 04:53 PM
The Skins picked up Vincent today meaning we effectively passed on him. After Sunday's embarassment in the secondary I dont see how you could not sign him. He could have really helped as the season progressed and given us first dibs to sign him up for next year as well.

I hear about the Texans having all this money to throw around but I only see them bring in overpaid underachievers and then let proven (though costly) veterans go because they were making too much $....ala R.Smith, Walker, Glenn, Sharper, McRee....then I see them not making moves for quality defensive help (j.peterson, j.abraham, vincent, and others all within the last year) and then overpaying for guys like greenwood, weaver, etc.

here is to hoping the texans can field a competitive defensive squad for 4 quarters on Sunday

doug ftw

Osso
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
why didnt we pick him up?

YoungTexanFan
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
We don't like to improve our secondary.