PDA

View Full Version : Trade: Samkon Gado for Vernand Morency

Pages : [1] 2

BeerFan
09-13-2006, 02:26 PM
i was just poking around on the internet and i got to profootballtalk.com

they have announced a straight swap between GB and Houston. Gado for Morency.

www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill

infantrycak
09-13-2006, 02:38 PM
TEXANS, PACK SWAP TAILBACKS

A league source tells us that the Green Bay Packers have shipped running back Samkon Gado to the Houston Texans in exchange for running back Vernand Morency.

Gado, an undrafted free agent signed by the Packers in 2005, was one of the few brights spots in the team's dismal 4-12 season, rushing for 582 yards and getting five starts. He played college ball at Division I-AA Liberty, and plans to go to medical school when his football career ends. He had two carries for -7 yards on Sunday.

Morency was a third-round pick of the Texans in 2005. He rushed for 184 yards for the season. Morency had one carry for five yards in the regular season opener.

The move reunites Gado with former Packers head coach Mike Sherman, who is assistant head coach of the Texans.

Evidently Kubiak and Sherman don't share the affection of many here for Morency.

Texans_Chick
09-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Interesting.

Just saw that rumor myself.

Wow.

Weird time for a trade though.

Malloy
09-13-2006, 02:46 PM
What the H...

Farewell Morency, I hope you'll make #4 proud! :)

Doom Capers
09-13-2006, 02:50 PM
....wait, what?

EF55
09-13-2006, 02:50 PM
This guy can pound the ball and he is a between the tackles kind of runner, I think he will require less work as a project than Morency for Kubiak... Big problem is he fumbles way to often. But he is explosive

Malloy
09-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Anyone know if it was a 1on1 trade, or if any other picks/players are involved ?

Vinny
09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I was led to believe few of the coaches liked him...so much for that tripe I guess. Our first day pick for an UFA? If Morency blows up in GB I'm gonna be ill.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Wow! hate to see Morency go.
Wish you best Morency!

cdastros
09-13-2006, 02:54 PM
seams like an good move to me. He runs a 4.47 40, with some power. After his football days are over, he says that he want to be a doctor.

Here is a nice article on Gado http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=489603

In the article it talks about why the new coaching staff is down on Gado. Green Bay is switching to a zone blocking system and Gado is not picking it up well.

CarrIsFine
09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
2 carries for -7 yards last week. Wish he was on my FF team.

HJam72
09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
I thought Morency was coming along very well. I would have started him and I don't get this at all. I guess anyone who wasn't chosen by this regime, other than Carr, AJ, and Robinson, is hanging on by a thread. I don't know anything about this GB guy, except that he's a UFA from Sherman's old team.

Well, now in 3 days we've been beaten badly in game 1 and lost the guy who I thought was our best (remaining anyway) RB. All I can do is throw up my hands and wonder why.

wrestler4life
09-13-2006, 03:05 PM
This is a stupid trade! A third rounder for a UFA with no compensation!?!?!?!

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Is this true or some kind of sick early April Fool's joke? What? Huh? Someone tell me this is a nightmare? Gado for Morency? I just threw up a little in my mouth. Morency was hands down our best back in preseason, WTH???????????

TexanFan881
09-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Samkon has proven that he can carry the load in Green Bay. He's got more experience (even though not much more) than Morency, and most of all, he's shown he can get the job done. If he can just do what he did last year, I think we got the good end of the deal.

I was led to believe few of the coaches liked him...so much for that tripe I guess. Our first day pick for an UFA? If Morency blows up in GB I'm gonna be ill.

The Packers seemed to like Noah Herron a lot and Morency will start as the #3 back there, so it will be awhile before he gets in there and starts, if he does. Also, I think Samkon is 3 years or so younger than Morency so hopefully Samkon will be with us for awhile. Since I live in the area, I must say, a lot of Green Bay fans really liked Samkon and will be upset with this trade.

And an undrafted free agent for a 3rd round pick means nothing. That was a year ago. Would you trade Eric Winston for Mike Bell? Things change. All this means is that Green Bay hit the jackpot with Gado.

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Samkon has proven that he can carry the load in Green Bay. He's got more experience (even though not much more) than Morency, and most of all, he's shown he can get the job done. If he can just do what he did last year, I think we got the good end of the deal.

The Packers seemed to like Noah Herron a lot and Morency will start as the #3 back there, so it will be awhile before he gets in there and starts, if he does. Also, I think Samkon is 3 years or so younger than Morency so hopefully Samkon will be with us for awhile. Since I live in the area, I must say, a lot of Green Bay fans really liked Samkon and will be upset with this trade.

And an undrafted free agent for a 3rd round pick means nothing. That was a year ago. Would you trade Eric Winston for Mike Bell? Things change. All this means is that Green Bay hit the jackpot with Gado.

Gado started 5 games last season and sure got the job done, but how could we trade our best back for this guy??????????? I have trusted most decisions made by Kubaik and Co. up to this point, but if this is true I think I am gonna cry.

DBCooper
09-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Green Bay message boards reporting the same thing.

They feel THEY are getting the raw deal.

We'll see, I like Gado, I like Morency also.

Any good confirmation yet?

TexanFan881
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Gado started 5 games last season and sure got the job done, but how could we trade our best back for this guy??????????? I have trusted most decisions made by Kubaik and Co. up to this point, but if this is true I think I am gonna cry.

The reason we can trade our best back is because Lundy maybe a little worse if I want to be negative. Lundy is not a huge drop off from Morency, so at the worst possible scenario where Gado is horrible, it won't hurt us that bad. But yes, like I said before, the Packers fans are upset at trading Gado. They've seen him play more than we have, so they know what they've lost. And so do we with Morency. That's why we both feel we got screwed. It's a pretty even trade if you ask me, but Samkon has played in more games and has done more than Morency has. It's not like Morency went out there and had a 100 yard game and we traded him.

HomeBred_Texan
09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Must be blaming the backs and not the O-Line in this one...

Blake
09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Tack another one of our first day pick that are not on the team anymore...

I think we need to be looking for some safety help.

jerek
09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Has this been made official? Wasn't it PFT talking about Carr to Miami for a 2nd rounder a few months ago?

If true I'm cringing at the deal and will christen it the first real FO mistake of the Kubiak era. I'm not sure what Morency did to get traded for Gado.

El Tejano
09-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Think about it. Right now you got Lundi who is Kubiak's boy but he hasn't shown that he can carry the load.

You got Dayne who already knows the system, and now you got Gaddo who is a combination of speed and power.

Gaddo is also a pretty good pass catcher out the backfield.

TheCD
I'm not sure if everyone remembers the talk of Gado's role in GB when Green was injured...but he played incredibly well. If he continues that pace here, then (dare I say it) he has the potential to start. My only concern is that he was supposedly sent to us because he's having trouble picking up a zone blocking scheme...which is what we use.

infantrycak
610 am has confirmed the deal with Reliant.

El Tejano
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm not sure if everyone remembers the talk of Gado's role in GB when Green was injured...but he played incredibly well. If he continues that pace here, then (dare I say it) he has the potential to start. My only concern is that he was supposedly sent to us because he's having trouble picking up a zone blocking scheme...which is what we use.

I think Sherman knows what scheme to use with him. If there is anyone here who knows what to do with Gaddo, he does.

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
The reason we can trade our best back is because Lundy maybe a little worse if I want to be negative. Lundy is not a huge drop off from Morency, so at the worst possible scenario where Gado is horrible, it won't hurt us that bad. But yes, like I said before, the Packers fans are upset at trading Gado. They've seen him play more than we have, so they know what they've lost. And so do we with Morency. That's why we both feel we got screwed. It's a pretty even trade if you ask me, but Samkon has played in more games and has done more than Morency has. It's not like Morency went out there and had a 100 yard game and we traded him.

Morency has never really been give many chances at all during any regular season games but was impressive and our best back in the preseason and was going up against mostly #1 defenses if I remember correctly. And Morency was the only back who seemed to have even a slight clue on picking up a blitz in the preseason.

El Tejano
09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Dayne can pick up a blitz too.

Hey, does anyone know Gaddo's Madden ratings. I need to make sure I go home and adjust my roster.

HJam72
09-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Musical running backs. :wacko:

HOU-TEX
09-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Personally, I like the trade. I think Gado will more than fill the shoes of Morency.:yahoo:

HJam72
09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Good think we didn't get Bush, cuz we'd have traded him for a 3rd string free safety by now. :)

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
610 am has confirmed the deal with Reliant.

:sos: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/stinks.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/wheresmahead.gif

phantom17
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
We shall see how well this will play out for us, & I hope we get the better end of this deal:twocents: .

Vinny
09-13-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2872

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh please let this be true. Sam. Gado is awsome. I was watching the very first game he played in last year and he was awsome. The guy came from Liberty, and he just figured he would try the NFL and see what happend, just trying to find money for Med. School. He played awsome for the Packers and put up huge numbers before he was injured. We have a guy in the backfield who can move! He hits the hole fast and hard and can stretch the field. Great move if it is true. I can not believe GB let him go, he was a fan favorite big time!

Frills
09-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, Gado is a beast.

Smashmouth time

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 03:42 PM
OMG it is true!!!!! LOL GB are suckers!!!!:party:

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Oh come on the guy has started 5 games in the NFL and he's being called awesome??? Fact is he was apractice squad guy who was brought in after Green Bay's #4 back went down last season. Sure he got the job done but he has only started five games and neither Kubiak or Capers gave Morency a fari shot at the starting spot IMO...

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
GB suckers? Gado a beast? Smashmouth time?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/wheresmahead.gif

Brandon420tx
09-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Vinny beat me too it.

ojthecat
09-13-2006, 03:49 PM
I like it. Look it sends a message to the team that if you play poorly we will get rid of you.

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Did we just trade for Domanick Davis v2.0?

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh come on the guy has started 5 games in the NFL and he's being called awesome??? Fact is he was apractice squad guy who was brought in after Green Bay's #4 back went down last season. Sure he got the job done but he has only started five games and neither Kubiak or Capers gave Morency a fari shot at the starting spot IMO...

Dude you have no clue what you are talking about! Its o.k., but before you bash the guy, could you please tell me the last time Morency was NFL rookie of the month???????? In fact Gado was consistant 100 yrd a game back week in week out before his injury, and being the (third back) not #4!!! with HMMMMM Ahman Green, and Noah Harron is not that bad. You have no clue what you are talking about but hey, go ahead freedom of speech and everything. VENT YOU ANGER BUDDY!!!

Frills
His upside is much higher than Morency.

In his 8 games last year on a craptastic team he gained 171 yds on 29 carries, which is better than DD's best game.

He's from the Okoye mold. I'm happy we now have a back that will punish whoever tries to tackle him.

HOU-TEX

No!

Malloy
09-13-2006, 03:51 PM

That's pretty much how I felt it reading this post the first time. I'm gonna miss the guy, I think he'll be a VERY successfull player in the future.

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I like it. Look it sends a message to the team that if you play poorly we will get rid of you.

Morency had what 5 carries in our first regular season game??? Using that logic Lundy and Mario should be out the door with him.

DBCooper
09-13-2006, 03:53 PM
One thing for sure, this coaching staff is not afraid to make changes to get the job done. Straight up trade if you ask me. Winner goes to the back with the most heart. Gado has shown some heart. I don't care who carries the ball, just move it down the field and put it in the endzone.

ojthecat

The coaches are getting rid of players that they dont like and are getting ones that they are familiar with. This is an important step in creating the propar chemistry on the team. Kubiak and Sherman know what winning teams are like and this is part of the process.

texan279

In his 8 games last year on a craptastic team he gained 171 yds on 29 carries, which is better than DD's best game.

He's from the Okoye mold. I'm happy we now have a back that will punish whoever tries to tackle him.

Okoye mold? Because he is from Nigeria or what? The guy also sprained his right knee after starting 5 games.

gwallaia
09-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Don't go worry Gado, Mr. Roboto!

ojthecat
09-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Okoye mold? Because he is from Nigeria or what? The guy also sprained his right knee after starting 5 games.

He is a news flash for you. Running back is a violent position and they get hurt --- a lot.

Frills
09-13-2006, 03:55 PM
He grew up idolizing Okoye, mimicing his running style so ya basically.

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Gado is way faster and stronger than Morency! We came out smelling like a rose on this move.:yahoo:

texan279
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM

By the way, Gado is 5'10'' 225 pounds and Okoye played at 6'1'' 260 pounds, so Gado is from the Davis mold not the Okoye mold.

Snapple
09-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Quit comparing where Gado and Morency were drafted. That doesn't matter anymore.

Is Joey Harrington better than Tom Brady, because Harrington was the #3 overall pick and Brady was a second day pick? Of course not.

Gado has proven more in the league than Morency has. Go back and watch his game last year against Atlanta, where he absolutely destroyed. If Gado can't run the ball in Houston, it will be entirely because of our o-line talent and our run-bocking scheme. Because he can run.

Yeah, he fumbled the ball, but he was a rookie. Lots of rookie RBs fumble.

I like this trade a LOT.

TexansLucky13
"No! I don't believe it! It's not possible!"

-Neo

I dont believe it. Morency meant so much to me. :crying:

Vinny
By the way, Gado is 5'10'' 225 pounds and Okoye played at 6'1'' 260 pounds, so Gado is from the Davis mold not the Okoye mold.
Gado doesn't run like Davis either. Gado has the second gear Dom doesn't have.

TEXANS84
09-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Gado is a good pickup. We'll like him.

Honoring Earl 34
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
He is a news flash for you. Running back is a violent position and they get hurt --- a lot.
They average 4years in the league .

texan279
He grew up idolizing Okoye, mimicing his running style so ya basically.

So if I play guitar and mimick Hendrix, I am a Hendrix mold?

TEXANS84

Gado had a heck of a run 2 years ago, or maybe last year on Monday night football. He's definitley got the 2nd gear.

TommyS
09-13-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2006/09/13/1/

packers GM will be on live (streamed) at 1645 CT if anyone is interested.

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:00 PM

I know Vin but comparing Gado to Christian Okoye? Bit of a stretch if you ask me...

real
09-13-2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.kffl.com/transactions.php/NFL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texans | Gado acquired from Green Bay
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:58:53 -0700

The Houston Texans have traded RB Vernand Morency to the Green Bay Packers for RB Samkon Gado.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vinny

I know Vin but comparing Gado to Christian Okoye? Bit of a strtch if you ask me...Both of you are wrong, so there.

Frills
DD in 4 years hasn't been able to break a run longer than Gado did in 8 games.

We need to face the facts DD is done. Gado at 23 is a damn good back to have in years to come

TexanFan881
09-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Quit comparing where Gado and Morency were drafted. That doesn't matter anymore.

Is Joey Harrington better than Tom Brady, because Harrington was the #3 overall pick and Brady was a second day pick? Of course not.

Gado has proven more in the league than Morency has. Go back and watch his game last year against Atlanta, where he absolutely destroyed. If Gado can't run the ball in Houston, it will be entirely because of our o-line talent and our run-bocking scheme. Because he can run.

I like this trade a LOT.

DING DING DING :yahoo:

phantom17
i WAS WONDERIN' why will GB do this if Gado is such a beast?! hmmmm... stay tuned! :shades:

real
Did the Texans practice today ? I wonder how it feels to be with you "teamates" one second, focusing on playing the Colts...and then the next second you're in the middle of cheese head country...

texan279
Both of you are wrong, so there.

Huh? lol

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
i WAS WONDERIN' why will GB do this if Gado is such a beast?! hmmmm... stay tuned! :shades:

Thank you...

Malloy
09-13-2006, 04:03 PM
I know alot of people are comparing Gado to Morency in order to find out who's the best player for Houston. IMO there should be enough room for both. The GB-games I watched last season, Gado really impressed me, but so did Morency in Houston. Again, IMO, I would have liked to see Lundy on the PS and Gado/Morency on the active roster... But that's just me...

dantem
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
The last couple of transactions look like we are trying to fix our KO return problem... Buc and Roc got hurt.. That leaves the backs to do the honors. Is it possible he could fill those shoes? Maybe Morencey can't field Kickoffs.

Frills
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdarTD8Tp8

GB thought it was smart to hire the Offensive Coord. for the 49'ers as a head coach. Trying to make sense of that organization will drive a person crazy

TEXANRED
09-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Both of you are wrong, so there.
Did you just quote yourself and say you were wrong?

So this is what Casserly feels like. I drafted Morencey in my FF. Thought he would be a steal...............Wrong.

jdog
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't they have a good offensive line in Green Bay?

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Not really, not after they lost Wahle, Flanagan, and the other guard (can't remember his name).

Malloy
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM

Think they stopped using that stuff years ago. Overrated too ;)

infantrycak
09-13-2006, 04:09 PM

Not for the last couple years. Last year they lost both starting guards and this year the center. Chad Clifton is good at LT though.

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I went to a Packer fan base web site to read what their fans think and the majority of the fans are p/o that he was gone. A lot of the fans did not believe it. One fan said he checked our web site and said the confermation was legit. Then the fans started off on Sherman loving Gado and how Gado does not really fit their new current offensive scheme.

afcman
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9658483

real
09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Merge

jdog
09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Is this because of Morency's performance against the Eagles because I don't think Gado or Tomlinson would have helped our running game last week.

real
09-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Is this because of Morency's performance against the Eagles because I don't think Gado or Tomlinson would have helped our running game last week.

uh...yeah...he would have

TexanSam
09-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I like this trade. Gado is a much more proven runner than Morency.

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:13 PM

Agreed. Also am I the only one who thinks Morency was our best back this preseason? (not directed at you jdog)

Frills
09-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I liked Morency and was miffed when Lundy got the starting nod. Gado is an upgrade and will give us a breakaway threat.

Blake

I think it was more of Morency's inability to adjust to the zone running style. I heard about it a few times this pre-season, about how he was dancing around instead of one cut and run.

Errant Hothy
I didn't know what to think when I raed the thread title...and I still don't. Time will tell, but I do like the fact that the team is not afraid to get rid of personnal they don't think will work.

Didn't Moeency have all of the off season and the preseason to prove that he could play for Kubes? Didn't he get bet out by a rook? Maybe we missed the signs?

Blake
09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
That was quick...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernand_Morency

Vernand Morency (born February 4, 1980 in Miami, Florida) is an American football running back currently playing for the Green Bay Packers of the NFL.

jdog
Okay, if he ran well with a not so good line then I feel better about it. I thought he looked good last year. Madden liked him if you like Madden.

It seems like this is a knee jerk reaction to our poor running game last week. I don't think any running back would have helped last week with the blocking and play calling we had against that Eagles defense.

Divebomb
Gado steps in as the fastest running back in Texans History LOL! He also steps in as probably the most intelligent Houston Texan in our history. One thing is for sure, we have a guy that will have no problem memorizing the play book!

dantem
The last couple of transactions look like we are trying to fix our KO return problem... Buc and Roc got hurt.. That leaves the backs to do the honors. Is it possible he could fill those shoes? Maybe Morencey can't field Kickoffs.

Sorry to quote myself but I wanted to add to this..

Morencey is our first string Kick return Guy and we are down to him and Edell Shepherd.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Interesting.

Just saw that rumor myself.

Wow.

Weird time for a trade though.
Not a rumor
Samkon Gado - RB - Houston Texans - Sep 13 2006 4:57PM est - Top Rotoworld.com News
News: Texans acquired Samkon Gado for Vernand Morency.
Impact: The Texans have confirmed the deal. Former Packers coach Mike Sherman coaches Houston's offensive line and surely was a factor in Gado's acquisition. It's great news for Gado, who should be picked up if available in all leagues. He should have a better chance to get carries and vie for a bigger role in Houston. A RBBC figures to ensure no matter what though.

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I think it was more of Morency's inability to adjust to the zone running style. I heard about it a few times this pre-season, about how he was dancing around instead of one cut and run.

Ummm...Did you watch any of the preseason games?

JDizzle
09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
That was quick...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernand_Morency

Vernand Morency (born February 4, 1980 in Miami, Florida) is an American football running back currently playing for the Green Bay Packers of the NFL.

Wow, that is fast. Wikipedia rules.

real
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM

I don't think thats what it was...I don't think they saw him as a full time back...I don't think they thought he was the type of back you could give the ball to 20+ times, and with a rookie, and aging veteran in dayne we needed that middle of the road guy that we feel like we can depend on...I heard he is coming off of an injury...not sure how severe of an injury it was, but obviously the coaches feel like he's fully healed and ready to go...

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Wow, that is fast. Wikipedia rules.

WOW Wikipedia is all over it!

jdog
09-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Ummm...Did you watch any of the preseason games?

Yeah, I'm thinking of the Rams game maybe?

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking of the Rams game maybe?

Yeah Morency had 11 carries for 95 yards that game and 2 TD runs.

Crazyhorse
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure which will make a better back but one thing for sure is that it won't matter who is carrying the ball if there is no hole to run through.
We didn't use Salaam at all and we have Winston inactive so the chances of fresh legs are slim. I'm willing to give anyone a chance but in Winston you have an aggressive stud who is still the more experienced and a better schooled tackle than Spencer. I guess he didn't bring the teacher an apple??!!

nunusguy
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
I think this guy played in a nationaly televised game last year. The name is
so unusual and I remember the fuss about him. He broke a real long run in that game ? The Pack was playing someone in their divison as I recall ?
Is this a statement that the Packers don't like Gado that much, or they really see something in Morency and are willing to part with value for a prospect ?
I thought Morency was very impressive in preseason, way superior to Lundy.

JDizzle
09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Wait, wait. Who gets Morency's number? Ordinarily I wouldn't care but #34 is kind of a big deal around here.

Tulip
09-13-2006, 04:25 PM
So they've turned the 2004 6th round pick into a 2005 undrafted free agent? Wow, that's awesome.

Kubiak needs to stop shopping and start coaching. The season has already started.

jdog
09-13-2006, 04:27 PM
so unusual and I remember the fuss about him. He broke a real long run in that game ? The Pack was playing someone in their divison as I recall ?
Is this a statement that the Packers don't like Gado that much, or they really see something in Morency and are willing to part with value for a prospect ?

I think it's saying the Packers are willing to straight trade a ufa for a 3rd round rb.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
09-13-2006, 04:27 PM

I, as a Bear Fan, can second that!!! he is not only big, but fast also.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Morency's Last year stats:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/417237/gamelogs/2005

Gado's last year stats:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/553379/gamelogs/2005

For an easier comparison.

Snapple
09-13-2006, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdarTD8Tp8

GB thought it was smart to hire the Offensive Coord. for the 49'ers as a head coach. Trying to make sense of that organization will drive a person crazy

I'm glad someone found that video. I almost forgot about that run.

Lest anyone forget, that happened in a real game, where is counts, not a preseason game. And that's against the same run defense that held Shaun Alexander to almost nothing this past weekend.

E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles
09-13-2006, 04:33 PM
This is a pretty good trade for you guys. You get another young running back who has proven what he can do in the league. He played well last year in the absence of Ahman Green and Davenport. He basically carried the whole rushing load for the Packers on a bad team. Once you get your run blocking scheme down he may challenge Wali Lundy for the starting spot if Lundy keeps running like he did on Sunday.

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Gado's last year stats:

Morency started one game, Gado started five games.

Yossarian
09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I think it's saying the Packers are willing to straight trade a ufa for a 3rd round rb.

People on these boards seriously need to get over where these guys were drafted, because it's irrevelent. The only thing that matters is their talent and their potential. I'm personally very excited about this trade because I saw Gado play last year and he performed quite well, and I feel that he's proven more at this point.

nunusguy
09-13-2006, 04:34 PM
" But Gado has struggled to adjust to the zone-blocking scheme being run by new Packers coach Mike McCarthy."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2586476
ESPNs take is that the Gado has struggled in the ZB in GB. Guess the ESPN guy doesn't realize we also run the ZB, or he would find some irony in his own remark. Management probably has him working full time on Reggie Bush propaganda, so doesn't have time to learn about other backs in the league.
Nigerian guy gonna like this climate, and Morency (I think from Texas), gonna
have to invest in some long johns.

jdog
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I'll guess I'll stop freaking out. I don't think it hurts us personnel wise. It just seems like a big change for the team so early. It seems like a bad message. This will be my first leap of faith for Coach Kubiak.

Go Texans!

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:37 PM

Gado's last year stats:

And if you want to look at stats, take a look at Gado's preseason stats...

27 carries for 65 yards for a 2.4 YPC average.

Frills
09-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Last year GB's head coach was SF's Off Coord.

Pendry's offense outgained his by almost 500 yds.

TommyS
09-13-2006, 04:38 PM
People on these boards seriously need to get over where these guys were drafted, because it's irrevelent. The only thing that matters is their talent and their potential.

thank you.

Gado has power and speed. Morency might be more polished but he's not got that second gear that you need in a one-cut system.
see the hole, BANG, there goes Gado... just watch that youtube link...

i think both teams did ok here. but the packers fans seem more upset to lose gado than we seem to lose morency, FWIW.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Morency started one game, Gado started five games.

Gado produced in those games, against decent teams. If he didnt fumble, he would look better.

Morency, not being his fault, only against that one team, but I remember them being in the running for Bush so they werent all that good.

Morency could be a good back, but Gado has a better resume.

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:40 PM
thank you.

Gado has power and speed. Morency might be more polished but he's not got that second gear that you need in a one-cut system.
see the hole, BANG, there goes Gado... just watch that youtube link...

i think both teams did ok here. but the packers fans seem more upset to lose gado than we seem to lose morency, FWIW.

Morency does have that second gear. I don't get where some are getting Gado is faster than Morency.

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Something I do not understand, why does the media feel they need to rip on the Texans with little stupid comments like adding the (ZONE BLOCKING COMMENT). O.K. (Gado struggles to pick up the Zone Blocking scheme) Now the media expects Texans fans to be stupid and freak out because they hear zone blocking scheme and Gado not picking it up well. HELLO!!!! "Sherman" Gado's coach last year, is our O-Line/assistant H.C. They used a zone blocking scheme in GB last year!!! Now everyone settle down. I am not a pro but I would probably guess that Gado will be fine with our style of zone blocking given his performance's last year in GB when sherman was maing the call's. Not everyone coaches the zone blocking the same.

texan279
Gado produced in those games, against decent teams. If he didnt fumble, he would look better.

Morency, not being his fault, only against that one team, but I remember them being in the running for Bush so they werent all that good.

Morency could be a good back, but Gado has a better resume.

Only because Morency has never been given a real shot by this team under two regimes.

Dunta_23
I personally am not sure what to think of this deal...Ive always liked Morency and liked what he did late last year and in this preseason..I feel he was never given a shot to be the # 1 here and it seems unless you were a "Kubiak guy" that you dont have much of a chance....I wouldnt say Gado is "proven" just yet....he has a 4.1 ypc and 6 touchdowns last year....nothing overwhelming....I really would have liked to see Morency play a couple games as the starter before dealing him off.....as a Texans fan I will cheer for Samkon but in a way home Morency blows up in GB and does awesome..ah well

BattleRed37
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
It don't matter what runningbacks the Texans have. It all start up front, the O-Line. If the O-Line play like last week game Lundy, Dayne and Gado going to put up 70 yards combine.

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Morency does have that second gear. I don't get where some are getting Gado is faster than Morency.

Morency ran 4.57 Gado ran 4.46, Gado has broken off huge runs in live NFL games, Morency has not. Gado is faster!

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Morency will be a kickoff return and special teamer in GB. Green is healthy, so odds are that Morency will never touch the ball.

Frills
I know this assumption is way out there, but I'm guessing Sherman knows what he can and can't do.

I trust Sherman more than I trust a crap offensive coordinator who could only beat the last coaching staff by 3 points

Hervoyel
Tack another one of our first day pick that are not on the team anymore...

I think we need to be looking for some safety help.

Yes but if the player we traded him for sticks then I'm not going to be too upset about this.

Honestly I think that Ron Dayne is going to be carrying the majority of the load before too long. I think that signing was far more significant than most of you believed at the time.

Ron Dayne started the preseason as the #1 back in Denver and sometime around the 4th-6th week he'll be the #1 back here (for what that's worth) barring Gado busting out.

The coaches clearly decided that Morency wasn't going to be their guy. Lundy might be but for now he's just holding to spot down. Same with Taylor. Wali Lundy will get the chance to hang on to the job and I believe that both Gado and Dayne will be given an equal opportunity to take it away from him. I bet Dayne does it.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
And if you want to look at stats, take a look at Gado's preseason stats...

27 carries for 65 yards for a 2.4 YPC average.

Preseason doesnt count......

But the only stat we really need to look at are the Ws. He got 2 out of 5.
thats half of the games GB won. Apparently he made a difference.

the teams were at home v.detroit, and away @ atlanta.

Just a better resume. He got a chance to show off and he did. Morency didnt get a chance, which shouldnt be held against him as not being worthy.

jdog
09-13-2006, 04:48 PM
People on these boards seriously need to get over where these guys were drafted, because it's irrevelent. The only thing that matters is their talent and their potential. I'm personally very excited about this trade because I saw Gado play last year and he performed quite well, and I feel that he's proven more at this point.

There is a lot invested in the draft system. I know Gado has performed well. All I'm saying is if I were Green Bay I would make the trade too...especially since he's like their third back.

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:49 PM
My bad he ran a 4.43 40yd. This is a great article about Samkon Gado!

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/index.php?ntid=62273&ntpid=251

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Morency ran 4.57 Gado ran 4.46, Gado has broken off huge runs in live NFL games, Morency has not. Gado is faster!

Old college 40 times mean nothing. Gado had 3 runs over 20 yards last season in 143 carries. Morency had 2 carries over 20 yards last season on 46 carries.

rmartin65
This is weird. I thought like many here that Morency was pretty good. Gado was good last year, but there are reasons for him not being drafted. Well, so was Priest Holmes, so people do get skipped. However, it still seems like we are getting the shaft.

Divebomb
I think if Sherman had another year in GB that Gado would be the #2 hands down after the cut of Davenport.

Frills
09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Last week Gado avg 19 yds on 3 KO returns.

TommyS
09-13-2006, 04:53 PM
giving a live presser, he doesnt know jack about morency. stats, weight, injuries, nothing. he said he watched film of morency but couldnt tell if we were running the zone blocking scheme - he said he couldnt tell the difference, that he didnt know.

but - he thinks morency's a good change of pace from the backs they have now (green, herron).

has good things to say about Gado, only that he wasnt as productive in the preseason as he wouldve liked. good character guy by the sounds of things.

apparently it has been talked about for a while and just happened today.

RiotCommander
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Gado did great last year for the Packers. I think we all liked Morency and wish him luck in the NFL he was a great back. There was something obviously that Kubiak didn't like about him however. And Sherman must have had a hand in this deal.

At least with Gado I know what he brings to the table. I hope no one is freaking out over this I think it was a good trade for both sides. Just sort of hoping that it doesn't bite us in the butt.

Welcome to the Texans Gado!

Snapple
09-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Ron Dayne started the preseason as the #1 back in Denver and sometime around the 4th-6th week he'll be the #1 back here (for what that's worth) barring Gado busting out.

Actually, Mike Bell was the starter by the first preseason game. And the fact that Dayne fell all the way to 4th on their depth chart should be much more telling than where they thought he would be at the beginning of the off-season.

And I seriously can't believe people are arguing using pre-season stats. If you would rather have the guy who does well in the preseason than the guy who does well in the regular season, then great. Maybe one day, we'll have the best preseason, worst regular season team ever. We'll celebrate our throne as preseason national champions.

real
09-13-2006, 04:55 PM
How much cap space did we get ?

texan279
09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Actually, Mike Bell was the starter by the first preseason game. And the fact that Dayne fell all the way to 4th on their depth chart should be much more telling than where they thought he would be at the beginning of the off-season.

And I seriously can't believe people are arguing using pre-season stats. If you would rather have the guy who does well in the preseason than the guy who does well in the regular season, then great. Maybe one day, we'll have the best preseason, worst regular season team ever. We'll celebrate our throne as preseason national champions.

Well we have only really seen Morency in the preseason, and forget the stats, this preseason he was our best back hands down.

Kaiser Toro
09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I just threw up in my mouth.

We have the Colts on Sunday, that should be the only objective at the moment.

Mmmm, Sonic Double Cheeseburger.

TEXANRED
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Honestly I think that Ron Dayne is going to be carrying the majority of the load before too long. I think that signing was far more significant than most of you believed at the time.

Thats what I keep saying but no one listens.

Dayne was a huge pick up. He has size and speed and already knows the system. Not to mention he is a vet with starting experience unlike the rest of our backfield. The only question is can he catch.

Texans_Chick
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Why didn't they do this trade earlier?

Did they both have to have badish games for it to be something that could happen?

rmartin65
09-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe they were not happy with the run game and are looking for a new spark. Hope it works, it will be needed against the Colts.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 04:58 PM
I know this assumption is way out there, but I'm guessing Sherman knows what he can and can't do.

I trust Sherman more than I trust a crap offensive coordinator who could only beat the last coaching staff by 3 points

GB had fallen from the previous years playoff run to a dissapointing record that cost Sherman his job. But a lot of players were injured on that team. I hope that means the team could have been better w/o the injuries.

Sherman and Kubiak have inside info on GB and Denver so we should trust them two in the decisions to pick up or trade for players from those teams. If it doesnt pan out, they will join Capers and Casserly.

Divebomb
09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
You should really read that article I posted it is great, and it will give you insight as to why we picked the young man up. read what Flannagin says about him!

Rightnow
09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
OMG it is true!!!!! LOL GB are suckers!!!!:party:

I second that! WTH were they thinking giving up Gado? Maybe Gado insisted on being traded and wants to be a starter somewhere. If I was a GB fan I'd be ticked.

Gado is a very good RB who did just fine last year. In his last four games last year he averaged 5.0 yards per carry.

Suckers! :perfect10:

michaelm
09-13-2006, 05:04 PM

I like this trade a LOT.
I agree with your post, but I have a question to you or anyone else who can answer it.

People here frequently suggest that someone 'go back' and watch a certain game.
Is there a source of games that you can just go back and watch?
I am being a little sarcastic, but I actually hoping that you'll point me somewhere.

Vinny
09-13-2006, 05:06 PM
It could be that Morency wanted a trade and got it. He was pounding that trade drum in the pre-season.

Nawzer
09-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I like this move. It gives us a guy who has produced even if it was for 6 or so games last year. I wouldn't be surprised if Gado took Lundy's job sometime in the season. As for Morency, I've always liked him since his days in Oklahoma State and wish him the best.

TEXANRED
09-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Anybody else see a problem with Lundy starting, Dayne coming off an injury and hasn't played within the last month, and Gado not knowing the system?

Will Gado even be activated for this game?

Tulip
09-13-2006, 05:11 PM
We have the Colts on Sunday, that should be the only objective at the moment.

That's my biggest problem with this. I don't see how playing musical players is really helping the team prepare for one of the toughest games of the year.

michaelm
09-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Agreed. Also am I the only one who thinks Morency was our best back this preseason? (not directed at you jdog)

I thought Morency was our best back, and would like to have seen him start.

I still like this trade, though.

Hervoyel
09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm starting to get the feeling that the team isn't preparing for one of the toughest games of the year. At least not in the way that we would expect them to prepare. I almost feel like we're still in a preseason mode and still finding parts for this thing, test fitting players, and exploring options to trade with other teams.

I sincerely believe we're looking at a team that will start looking dangerous around the mid-point of the season and anything they do early by way of wins will simply be gravy.

Next years draft is going to be really interesting.

Yossarian
09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
There is a lot invested in the draft system. I know Gado has performed well. All I'm saying is if I were Green Bay I would make the trade too...especially since he's like their third back.

But you're saying you would make the trade because of where they were drafted previously, which is completely irrevelent. They're just numbers.

You know who was also a third round pick? Maurice Clarett. Do you think that number holds any weight? Should it?

Vinny
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Anybody else see a problem with Lundy starting, Dayne coming off an injury and hasn't played within the last month, and Gado not knowing the system?

Will Gado even be activated for this game?I've noticed that we have lined up in that inverted full house backfield just like the Packers did under Sherman and I think he had a big part of how this offense was designed. I'd bet Gado knows this offense well enough for a back to play reasonably soon. I'm still not exactly sure what Kubiak sees in Lundy unless he wanted to turn the backfield over completely and he thinks he can be a nice back up for a few years. He kind of reminds me of a poor mans Gary Brown.

RiotCommander
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
I think Gado will be a great addition to our lineup. Sherman obviously knows what he can do. So at the very least in him we have a solid #2 back if not a #1. He isn't DD, but if the line can open those holes we could be looking great. I just hope he knows the system we could really use him in Indy.

I hope some Packers fans show up to back me up on this. I know A.Green is back for them so I doubt it effects them much.

Snapple
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I agree with your post, but I have a question to you or anyone else who can answer it.

People here frequently suggest that someone 'go back' and watch a certain game.
Is there a source of games that you can just go back and watch?
I am being a little sarcastic, but I actually hoping that you'll point me somewhere.

I don't actually know anywhere to watch the game. I just remember watching the game. Atlanta was heavily favored, and Green Bay won largely because Gado carried them to victory. Over 100 yards and 2 TDs behind a bad o-line, and more importantly, he got the hard yards, short yardage and first downs and whatnot. Kept the drives alive.

He also had 171 yards against Detroit, and 111 yards against Philly. Remember Philly? That team whose run defense is supposedly so awesome that they were being used as the scapegoat for our bad rushing in week one. Just sayin'.

And he only got better as the season went on. Very impressive for an undrafted rookie who didn't have any reps with the first team until he was thrust into the game because of injuries. One of the feel-good stories of last year. So it's not just a good statistical pickup for us, maybe it's a good karma pickup too.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe Kubiak sees Gado as a Mike Anderson type back.

GuerillaBlack
09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Did the Texans practice today ? I wonder how it feels to be with you "teamates" one second, focusing on playing the Colts...and then the next second you're in the middle of cheese head country...

Yeah I know.

First, you are looking at this:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9201/thegreathoustonpanobb1.jpg

Then on to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/33/Madison,_WI_skyline.JPG/300px-Madison,_WI_skyline.JPG

I wish Morency the best up there, and the cold up there is brutal.

michaelm
09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Old college 40 times mean nothing. Gado had 3 runs over 20 yards last season in 143 carries. Morency had 2 carries over 20 yards last season on 46 carries.

Funny, NFL.COM says morency had 1 run over 20yds in 46 carries. Not only that, but it's his career long.

Gado had 3 over 20 yds in 143 carries. His career long is 63.

Texian
09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
If Gado can produce the way he did on Monday night Football last year when Madden put him on the "Horse Trailer" then this is a great move.

hot pickle
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
i like morency but i think Gado will do better in our system so if it makes our team better then its aight with me:ok:

jdog
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
But you're saying you would make the trade because of where they were drafted previously, which is completely irrevelent. They're just numbers.

You know who was also a third round pick? Maurice Clarett. Do you think that number holds any weight? Should it?

Ryan Leaf sucked. Ricky Williams is crazy. I know, but a lot goes into picking players in the draft. It's not a perfect science. Basing your decision on a couple of short NFL resumes is not a perfect science either.

You're saying Gado is great based on a partial season. He doesn't even have college experience really.

It's not like Morency has been bad or had a lot of opportunities.

TexansMVP
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
The one thing that makes me favor this trade is b/c of Mike Sherman. The guy has been a respected head coach and I'm sure he must have some special insight on Gado since he was his coach last year. Either way, best of luck to Morency. Time to get a running game started.

CarrIsFine
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I hope it works out, but let's face it, the Texans are still trying to get a starting back out of guys that would be backups on most every other team.

Vinny
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
The one thing that makes me favor this trade is b/c of Mike Sherman. The guy has been a respected head coach and I'm sure he must have some special insight on Gado since he was his coach last year. Either way, best of luck to Morency. Time to get a running game started.He has been knocked as a poor talent evaluator in the past by some of the Packer fans. Don't want to lower your mood...just relaying some thought on him.

Tale Gator
09-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Houston we have a new starter! :cowboy1:

I love Samkon -- I think he is going to be a better fit than Lundy.

Bullpen Drew
09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Gado is the man!

Hulk75
09-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Say what you want about this guy he can run the football..............

Although I wanted to see Vernond get more plays, I like Samkon Gado, good stuff.

Only if we had a 1st rd pick last year we could have drafted a Running Back. JK:ok:

Gado only in his second year as well, 5 games 585yds..........Not bad for a rookie.

Titan "Tack" Fan
09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Wow this is making passing on Reggie Bush look even worse...

I feel for you guys. Hope it works out.

blockhead83
09-13-2006, 05:53 PM

Most of us are already over that, maybe you'll join us.

Brandon420tx
09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Houston we have a new starter! :cowboy1:

I love Samkon -- I think he is going to be a better fit than Lundy.

Is there any confirmation on whether or not he will be the starter? (I'm drafting today)

Hutch13
09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Gado! :yahoo:

jdog
09-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Yeah, it must be nice for you as a Tack fan. You know your team won't win this year, and if Vince plays it'll be a live practice situation with the Tacks down by four touchdowns.

cuppacoffee
09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
The one thing that makes me favor this trade is b/c of Mike Sherman. The guy has been a respected head coach and I'm sure he must have some special insight on Gado since he was his coach last year. Either way, best of luck to Morency. Time to get a running game started.

Maybe Kubiak felt he owed Sherman one.

Sherman supposedly wanted to keep S Wand but Kubiak cut him anyway.

:jk:

I haven't noticed whether anyone has signed Wand.

This kind of musical chairs with our RBs will just fuel the espn rant on us bypassing Bush, justified or not.

:coffee:

powerfuldragon
09-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Um... I trust the coaches, i think.

TEXANRED
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9658483

This is a good blurb from NFL.com

Can you imagine being in the middle of an interview and then told you are being traded?

nunusguy
09-13-2006, 06:02 PM
That's my biggest problem with this. I don't see how playing musical players is really helping the team prepare for one of the toughest games of the year.
You're right Tulip, but maybe we just need to accept the fact that its gonna
be nasty up at Indy this week, no matter what. Actuall, we may very well be
more disappointed about the season a week from today than right now.
But rejoice ! The worst part of the season is the first half, and the last half ain't easy, but its not as challenging as this end. And the team should be more comfortable with the new offense "and" the new defense by midseason.
For awhile though, it just ain't gonna be pretty.

rmartin65
09-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Is there any confirmation on whether or not he will be the starter? (I'm drafting today)
Ooh... Maybe a mid-rounder.

Capster67
09-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Wow this is making passing on Reggie Bush look even worse....

People don't seem to understand it wasn't just Reggie Bush they passed on - it was his flashy east/west style they passed on. Kubiak's system is all about north/south runners. This scheme tends to work for teams like Pittsburgh and Denver (last year's AFC Championship contenders!!!). I'm still glad we by passed Bush (who has yet to tear up the league from day 1 the way all the media folks predicted).
What we are learning from the teams moves the last couple of weeks is that when you inherit a 2-14 team there's a lot of work to be done. I'm just glad the new regime is doing the work. It might not pay off the first two weeks of the season, but I am confident it will starting in weeks 3 and 4.

Double Barrel
This is an interesting move. I liked Morency, but I wasn't attached to him. He seemed like he had some upside, but he never really proved himself to be the starter. And I don't have enough info on Gado to really form an opinion at this point.

But props to Kubiak & Co. for making bold moves. You don't pull a 2-14 team out of the gutter without some major policy shifts and player turnover.

I agree with Herv, though. This staff is still fitting peices together and is more concerned with getting it right than having to win the next game at all costs. I'm sure they want to win, and plan accordingly, but I don't think they are freaking out when we lose to a team like Philly or Indy.

In Kubiak we trust! :texflag: Go Gado!!

green_bowl_packer
Hello Texan fans, Packer fan here!!! Samkon Gado is big, fast, and a hell of a person, the kind that you want on your team. This trade most likely will be a wash for both teams, at least initially. You probably got the best of it since Gado is younger.

We didn't run the zone blocking last year, we ran a power gap system that Sherman liked with the U-71 stuff thrown in (tackle lines up as the TE) so that's where Gado made his yards last year. We had only switched to the zone blocking with McCarthy's staff this year. Gado and Herron were the only ones who participated in the OTA's and pre-season all the way through from May to August and he still couldn't pick up the zone blocking system with all the extra reps he was getting in Green and Davenport's absence. He also got some reps as a full back too when Henderson got hurt, but that expiriment didn't last too long.It's been said by the OC that he may be too intelligent for his own good, because he sits back there and analyzes the holes before he picks one and by then it's too late, evidenced by his 2 rushes for -7 yards.

And as for Sherman, I wouldn't put any weight in any personel recommendations he makes for you guys. He traded up to pick a punter in the 3rd round who is no longer in the league.

Texans_Chick
09-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Hello Texan fans, Packer fan here!!! Samkon Gado is big, fast, and a hell of a person, the kind that you want on your team. This trade most likely will be a wash for both teams, at least initially. You probably got the best of it since Gado is younger.

We didn't run the zone blocking last year, we ran a power gap system that Sherman liked with the U-71 stuff thrown in (tackle lines up as the TE) so that's where Gado made his yards last year. We had only switched to the zone blocking with McCarthy's staff this year. Gado and Herron were the only ones who participated in the OTA's and pre-season all the way through from May to August and he still couldn't pick up the zone blocking system with all the extra reps he was getting in Green and Davenport's absence. He also got some reps as a full back too when Henderson got hurt, but that expiriment didn't last too long.It's been said by the OC that he may be too intelligent for his own good, because he sits back there and analyzes the holes before he picks one and by then it's too late, evidenced by his 2 rushes for -7 yards.

And as for Sherman, I wouldn't put any weight in any personel recommendations he makes for you guys. He traded up to pick a punter in the 3rd round who is no longer in the league.

Thanks on sharing your thoughts about him.

Wolf
09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
http://www.sportscolumn.com/story/2005/11/27/204045/08/nfl_gb/You_Gado_Love_This_Story!

little background on him growing up

Samkon was clearly a great player, but he still wanted to be a missionary doctor in Nigeria. He decided to attend Liberty University, a Division I-AA university. Samkon was a solid running back in college, but he only started two games in his collegiate career. He played in thirty-nine games overall totaling twenty-two touchdowns on the ground and through the air during that time. His solid play as a backup running back, and his stellar play on special teams earned him a first-team All-Big South Conference pick. He was also on the all-conference academic team with a 3.66 GPA, and he graduated with a B.S. degree in health promotions.

This is where the Cinderella story really begins. What professional team would actually consider a backup running back from a small Christian School in Virginia? Samkon's coach at Liberty was Ken Karcher, a former backup quarterback to John Elway. Karcher was also an old friend with Al Saunders, the Chief's offensive coordinator. Saunders listened to Karcher's persistent pleas to give Samkon a chance. Saunders finally obliged and Samkon was invited to the Chief's training camp. Samkon really impressed the Chief's coaches and Saunders said that Samkon might be good enough to make it beyond training camp. Samkon was close to making the team, but he was put on the practice squad where he spent a few months. It probably didn't help that the people he was competing against were guys named Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson

edo783
09-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure either team moved forward much with this move. Guess we will have to see how it plays out.

12Gage
09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I like this trade. Morency never proved anything here, nothing. He has physical tools but hasn't converted them to rb skills. He has potential, but at 26 we can't wait for him to develop forever. Did anyone see our running game last week? And maybe Ron Dayne doesn't look as good as hoped. This guy Gado was one of the better rookie rbs last year. He has done more than Morency and is younger.
good enough trade
But as someone stated earlier this will add fuel to the "they should have took Bush" fire.

ghostlight
09-13-2006, 06:21 PM
I have to base my opinion on the positive replys in this thread. I beleive it is a good move based on the reading. I'm also trying to keep up with the Kubiak & Co. blue prints.

RiotCommander
09-13-2006, 06:41 PM
I have blueprint for you

80% Denver + 20% Packers = New Texans

BattleRedRaider
09-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I have blueprint for you

80% Denver + 20% Packers = New Texans

2 teams that played each other in a Super Bowl. I like that.

Tulip
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
2 teams that played each other in a Super Bowl. I like that.

9 seasons ago.

FILO_girl
09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Gado is awesome! I watched him own the field last season for the Pack, and frankly...I love this switch! I do know Morency is good, but think Gado will be better!!!!!

GO TEXANS!!!!!!
GO PACK!!

IshouldbeGM
09-13-2006, 06:54 PM
This is not a bad deal in my opinion. It doesnt matter where either player was drafted, or not drafted. This is a new regime, vernand morency may have been a 3rd round pick, but he has performed like a 7th rd pick. The player value is equal . Gado excelled under mike sherman, if he's healthy, i expect him to do the same here. Great move by the texans!! We now have 2 big backs to wear down the defense...if this offensive line can be a little more physical, make less mistakes we can dominate with our run to set up the playaction just like we want!!

Grid
09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
if Gado has homerun speed..that is already an improvement over any RB we have had in the last few years.

Morency hadnt proven anything to me... I liked what I saw of him in preseason but it didnt translate to the field on gameday.

Kubiak has been teaching backs to hit the hole and run for years.. if Samkon is at all capable of being productive in a zone blocking scheme, we will find out here in Houston.

BattleRedRaider
09-13-2006, 06:56 PM
9 seasons ago.

Hey, I'm just happy that I remember that, because I don't remember much as a 10-year-old.

Tulip
09-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Morency hadnt proven anything to me... I liked what I saw of him in preseason but it didnt translate to the field on gameday.

Did anything about the pre-season running game re-appear on game day? The blocking was horrific, and neither running back could do anything.

BradK10
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm glad to see Morency go because he's always been to stubborn to get cleats that keep him from slipping all the damned time :)

jgl35
09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Gado had 111 yards on 26 carries in a loss against the Eagles last year. He was their best player that day.

cbnjwill
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
is this organiztion grasping at straws for runningback help or what? first we pass on bush because we have DD then hes done for the season. we bring in antwain smith and cut him draft walli lundy make him a starter pick up ron dayne off the scrap heap and in one last move trade for gado....... hmmmm they are really making their argument for passing on bush. whats next? bring spencer tillman out of retirement..

DontTreadOnMe
09-13-2006, 07:13 PM
GO TEXANS!!!!!!
GO PACK!!

alittle giddy today??? hahaha GO NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This might be a good trade... it sounds like the coaches in GB couldnt get through to Gado and im a believer in the idea that kubes can get it done with the right type of back (in that i mean, a non "superstar", but a system back).... but you never really know what could happen, hell... morency could go up to GB and be the next.... errrr...dare i say.... reggie bush??? hahaha j/k... this thread was lacking the RB.. it wouldnt be a texan thread without it... peace

hollywood_texan
09-13-2006, 07:14 PM
This trade is meaningless, just a sideways transaction.

The problem I see with the offense right now is coaching. Kubiak needs to call the right plays and then let's see if they can execute. This playing it safe crap is just like 2005 all over again.

AustinJB
09-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Just gotta add my two cents...Of course only time will tell, but I think this could be a great trade for us. Morency never proved anything. Granted, he didn't get many chances but there has to be a reason for that.

Like many have already stated in this thread, Gado was a huge surprise for the Packers last year and very productive in his first NFL action. I recall watching him last year and being very surprised that this undrafted 5th-string RB was able to produce so well. Not only did he produce (granted it was limited action b/c of injury) but he produced on a team that wasn't much better than the Texans were last year....and he played for Sherman and w/ Flannigan FWIW. I'm not proclaiming this the "trade-of-the-year" yet...just saying don't go slitting your wrists thinking we got robbed (especially if you don't remember the way Gado ran last year.)

TheCD
09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
He has potential, but at 26 we can't wait for him to develop forever.

I sense the trolls coming this way.

Wait for it...Wait for it....:hides:

GP
09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
is this organiztion grasping at straws for runningback help or what? first we pass on bush because we have DD then hes done for the season. we bring in antwain smith and cut him draft walli lundy make him a starter pick up ron dayne off the scrap heap and in one last move trade for gado....... hmmmm they are really making their argument for passing on bush. whats next? bring spencer tillman out of retirement..

I have been overly supportive of Kubiak's decision to pass on Bush.

But this is getting old. Quickly.

I suggest all of us NOT watch any of the NFL shows for the next day or two because they are going to crucify us over this issue.

If we passed on Bush just to play Fantasy Football waiver wire & trade "games" for our starting RB...then this is going to get ugly if we don't pick up some wins in the next few weeks.

You have to admit that the amount of promoting/demoting/releasing/signing/re-releasing/re-signing/trading is wearing on all of us, even the most "loyal" of Texans fans.

Come on, Texans management, get this thing right and get it done...and move on for the season. You've been shifting Mario all over the line, you've been giving our running backs false security. You ran pretty much perfect plays in the first preseason game, only to revert to some stale version of Green Bay's run block scheme and less bootlegs and playaction passes.

Quit second-guessing yourself, Kubiak. Play a season and see what you have.

dat_boy_yec
09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
I think this move improves our team. Not because Gado is better than Morrency, but because he's a change of pace back. I mean Lundy and Morrency phisically were eerily similar. While Morrency was more productive in the pre-season he wasn't that much ahead of Lundy and that with a yr. in the league. I'm sure Morrency will do fine. I don't think Gado was brought here to be the starter. I don't think our current staff puts that much weight into the starter as how they will share the load. I just think everybody needs to calm down and see that we have improved, but it's not like we're gonna change overnight.

GP
09-13-2006, 07:42 PM

IMO, the reason Gado blew up in GB last year was because he sneak-attacked opposing teams. Those teams "let up" because they felt Ahman Green out of the game meant easy pickins' for them.

Gado had the benefit of being an unknown. And, IMO, it fueled his performance because he felt like he WAS an underdog.

Now, he's coming here and clearly expecting to perform well. It's a far different scenario than what he inherited last year in GB.

Gee, when Kubiak said "nobody's roster spot is secure" he wasn't foolin'

AustinJB
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
IMO, the reason Gado blew up in GB last year was because he sneak-attacked opposing teams. Those teams "let up" because they felt Ahman Green out of the game meant easy pickins' for them.

Gado had the benefit of being an unknown. And, IMO, it fueled his performance because he felt like he WAS an underdog.

Now, he's coming here and clearly expecting to perform well. It's a far different scenario than what he inherited last year in GB.

Gee, when Kubiak said "nobody's roster spot is secure" he wasn't foolin'

Sooooo...if we're using your logic then Lundy & Morency should have "blew up" Philly b/c they're unknowns too.

GP
09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
I think this move improves our team. Not because Gado is better than Morrency, but because he's a change of pace back. I mean Lundy and Morrency phisically were eerily similar. While Morrency was more productive in the pre-season he wasn't that much ahead of Lundy and that with a yr. in the league. I'm sure Morrency will do fine. I don't think Gado was brought here to be the starter. I don't think our current staff puts that much weight into the starter as how they will share the load. I just think everybody needs to calm down and see that we have improved, but it's not like we're gonna change overnight.

They have no clue which back on our team is capable of producing.

We're into the second week of the season...and we pull off a trade like this? That sends a lot of red flags up, if you ask me.

Why drag Morency through camp just for this? And why make a "lateral" move, who the heck benefits from it? Nobody.

More smoke and mirrors, if you ask me.

Not a good way to start off his head coaching tenure with us.

I'm probably going to change my signature from "Kubiak can turn water into SHiner Bock" and maybe scale it back to "Kubiak can turn water into Natural Light."

Losing....my...patience...with...the...same...old. ..song...and...dance...

AustinJB
09-13-2006, 07:50 PM
OMG!!!! I hope Gado turns out to be the next TD/Mike Bell/Mike Anderson **insert other low-profile RB turned savior of your choice here**

I would love nothing more...obviously b/c it would help our team, but also to see all the crow that some people would have to eat...lol!!

FILO_girl
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I think a couple posters are beginning to self destruct right in front of our eyes on this very thread.

Do I call 911 or just sit back and watch?

Its a conspiracy, everyone thought we were Denver South when actually we are secretly the humid Packers now. First Sherman, then Flanagan and now Gado...

:yahoo: (just messing with ya, but a couple of you are beginning to make me wonder if an NFL Intervention is needed!)

GP
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Sooooo...if we're using your logic then Lundy & Morency should have "blew up" Philly b/c they're unknowns too.

Uhh, which BIG NAME RUNNING BACK went down with an injury and then had Lundy and Morency fill in for them?

The face of that Packers team was Ahman Green, you prepared to STOP Ahman so that you could make Favre pass all day and get 12 interceptions. Stop Ahman, and you stop the team.

So teams began to gameplan AWAY from the run and moreso on Favre. The Gado got seriously injured and was lost for the season. And now we've inherited a guy who was injured.

Yeah, someone says "Why would GB trade for Morency?"

Why would we trade a healthy guy for an injured one? It's an even trade because one guy is healthy but unproven...and the other guys is a little prven, but not 100% healthy. That's the only way this deal went down, straigh up for one another, if you ask me.

Gado will pass OUR physical with flying colors. There'll be no sign of a lingering leg injury. It'll be like nothing ever happened.

Packers get rid of an injured guy, and we give up a healthy guy.

I'm really liking this trade...........

GP
09-13-2006, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=AustinJB]OMG!!!! I hope Gado turns out to be the next TD/Mike Bell/Mike Anderson **insert other low-profile RB turned savior of your choice here**[\QUOTE=AustinJB]

LOL.

Yeah, I'm not too afraid of that happening.

This team is in desperation mode.

What's next? It's like a bloomin' soap opera around here: Tune into tomorrow's episode for the "conclusion" to this nail-biting story line.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 08:02 PM

I suggest all of us NOT watch any of the NFL shows for the next day or two because they are going to crucify us over this issue.

If we passed on Bush just to play Fantasy Football waiver wire & trade "games" for our starting RB...then this is going to get ugly if we don't pick up some wins in the next few weeks.

You have to admit that the amount of promoting/demoting/releasing/signing/re-releasing/re-signing/trading is wearing on all of us, even the most "loyal" of Texans fans.

Come on, Texans management, get this thing right and get it done...and move on for the season. You've been shifting Mario all over the line, you've been giving our running backs false security. You ran pretty much perfect plays in the first preseason game, only to revert to some stale version of Green Bay's run block scheme and less bootlegs and playaction passes.

Highly agree......If Morency has a breakout year, I will be sick, he was not given enough time I think, what's next Lundy on the Block, because he did not do so hot against Philly.......Come on Gary you picked the best 53 out there at the end of august, no reason to go looking for a rabbit in a hat, a new back is not the answer, it's called missed blocking assignments, 3 Eagles going against 1 texan, watch the tape again.....the backs had no where to go..........:ok:

AustinJB
09-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Uhh, which BIG NAME RUNNING BACK went down with an injury and then had Lundy and Morency fill in for them?

The face of that Packers team was Ahman Green, you prepared to STOP Ahman so that you could make Favre pass all day and get 12 interceptions. Stop Ahman, and you stop the team.

What?? Dude, I'm not trying to pick on you or anything, but since when did Ahman Green become a "BIG NAME RUNNING BACK?" He is a big name back but DD isn't? If I recall, Green has had almost as many injuries over his career as DD has.

Maybe I misunderstood your point, but you said that,
"Gado had the benefit of being an unknown. And, IMO, it fueled his performance because he felt like he WAS an underdog."
I am simply stating that Morency also had the benefit of being an unknown. Why didn't it fuel his performance b/c he was an underdog too. If I have to choose between the two, I choose Gado....it seems as if he at least has an extra desire to succeed by your own observation.

Okay, I'm done. Enough of this going around and around and around to make a point...:francis:

mexican_texan
09-13-2006, 08:08 PM
We finally get a regime that makes changes when they don't play well and the lot of you complain? What happened to "In Kubiak we trust?"

BradK10
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
um...saying Ahman Green is not a big name RB just might be the single dumbest thing I've read here

and there's a lot of dumb things written here

BradK10
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm probably going to change my signature from "Kubiak can turn water into SHiner Bock" and maybe scale it back to "Kubiak can turn water into Natural Light."

Losing....my...patience...with...the...same...old. ..song...and...dance...

Hey, if you're a beer drinker, that's still improvement! :)

Grid
09-13-2006, 08:10 PM
honestly im not at all worried by anything this staff has done so far. Im not regretting passing on Bush.. im not worried that we are shopping for RBs.

Everything... from trading Morency for Gado... to starting Spencer and Weary..to cutting Wand and Robaire.. to not blitzing until we get pressure from our front 4... all of this tells me that Kubiak and company HAS A PLAN. They are trying to create a system that they know will work.

I like this move because I dont think Kubiak would have done it if he felt Morency would succeed here. He apparently sees potential in Gado and decided that he would rather take a chance with him, than settle for what he knows Morency offers. Meaning.. he could make due with Morency, or take a chance on getting someone who could be a big contributor. He took the chance, and I can agree with that.

Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. We liked Morency for his POTENTIAL.. not what he ACTUALLY brought to the table. We traded him for someone with lots of potential as well. We have lost nothing here.. and since Kube wanted Gado.. id say its more likely that we have gained.

Honoring Earl 34
09-13-2006, 08:12 PM
:cowboy1: This team was 2-14 last year . How many players worth a %#$# does it take to go 2-14 ... I'm thinking very few .

How many Texans from last year do we count as building blocks , hmmm lets see theres AJ , Dunta , Pitts , hopefully Carr , possibly TJ , and under the radar Weary who benefitted by the other coaches ignoring him .

They can trade anyone else from the previous team but I don't see a market .

PapaL
09-13-2006, 08:12 PM
So let me get this straight, we trade for a guy who was the backup to the guy (Davenport) we could have signed flat out (instead on Ron Dayne)? As much as I like Gado, this move reeks of the sky is falling syndrome.

Changes in week 1.5? We just settled on the roster 2 weeks ago. I'm all for fixing something, but we have to see if its broken first.

PapaL
09-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. We liked Morency for his POTENTIAL.. not what he ACTUALLY brought to the table. We traded him for someone with lots of potential as well. We have lost nothing here.. and since Kube wanted Gado.. id say its more likely that we have gained.

The man was never allowed to be in the same room as the table, much less sit at it.

So what other coaches do we have from other teams and who are the back RBs there? Dayne-Kubiak, Gado-Sherman, who is next?

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Just because the Texans lose one game, does not mean you go digging through other teams trash cans, and getting thier garbage, and bringing it home, it's called start with the O line that has been Carr's problem and the running game problem.....I think Kubiak is grasping at straws a little early....he had the 53 best players he thought at the end of August what changed his mind now........I don't know what he is mixing in the :stirpot: but this is not Denver you can not take every no name running back and make them a star, with the line we have.....Denver has a quicker and smaller line that allows them to run effective.....Spencer Tillman told everyone that on channel 13 on Sunday night........guess Gary and Mike Sherman changed the station to watch Emmit Smith dancing with the stars.......

srstex
09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I find it odd that the Packers said that Gabo could not pick up the Zone Blocking scheme, isn't that what we are running too? I have said since we got Kubiak that this is a fresh start and that we could actually be 8-8 this season, but I agree with everyone else here, Gary is grasping at straws to deflect the Accountabilty he stands so strongly behind.
Do as I say not as I do should be Kubiaks new saying.
Let's face it you can't talk yourself out of a problem you performed yourself into.

Grid
09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
when you spend an entire offseason with a player.. coaching, playing, and evaluating them.. then you can sit and tell them whether or not they are cutting him too soon.

as a person who has seen just as much of Morency as you have, I would say that he hasnt shown ME anything that makes me think he is indespensible.

PapaL
09-13-2006, 08:24 PM
I dont think anyone is saying he is indespensible, but if he wasnt worth being on roster they why didnt we make this move before and give the new guy time to run with us durning TC? We always talk about seeing what our guys have to offer, but in this case we get rid of guy who we only have limited game film on. Not mad or anything, just find the move very strange and coming out of left field.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 08:25 PM
So let me get this straight, we trade for a guy who was the backup to the guy (Davenport) we could have signed flat out (instead on Ron Dayne)? As much as I like Gado, this move reeks of the sky is falling syndrome.

Changes in week 1.5? We just settled on the roster 2 weeks ago. I'm all for fixing something, but we have to see if its broken first.

Highly agree with you LCROD,.........So I guess we should get rid of Mario, since he did not produce much.....

Grid
09-13-2006, 08:28 PM
are ya that afraid of change? We have been wanting someone to come in here and actually MAKE CHANGES.. and make people accountable.. and do what needed to be done to make this a good team.. now, 1 week into the season, yall are gonna throw a hissy cause they made a "big" change (and I use the term big lightly..considering we swapped second string RBs...can you even name the second string RB on half the teams in the NFL?)

We saw an opportunity to get someone we want more. They may have been willing to trade Morency much earlier, but the opportunity didnt arrive until Gado went for -7 yards on 2 rushes.

michaelm
09-13-2006, 08:30 PM

You've certainly got everything figured out after one game.

I think people need to slow down some. We were a 2-14 team just two regular season games ago.

We just traded a back up running back, and people are acting like the freakin sky is falling again.

Personally, I'm not tired of all of the promoting/demoting/releasing/signing/re-releasing/re-signing/trading... we had a crappy team, and alot of changes needed to be made.

FILO_girl
09-13-2006, 08:30 PM
I have went and haunted a couple GB boards I am on...

All posters caught off guard with this news (the trade), a handful have a soft spot for Gado because of his 'story' (like us with Lundy). Few think he may have been a one season wonder. Lots think it is a straight across trade. They are now digging for all of Morency's info.

I wiped my feet and didn't leave a trail. So no trolls are my fault. :ok:

TFL
09-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Everybody saying that your worried that he is already changing the roster after all ready having it set maybe he wanted gado more then morency hence it was not excatly the way he wanted it.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Just don't understand it GRID, You do not see any other teams doing this 2 weeks after the 53 cut, besides the Branch thing from New England...just think it's a little early to start changing tires on a car that are not flat.....

Grid
09-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Not every team went 2-14 last season.. and not every team has a starting RB on IR.

Not every team has an offensive genius for a head coach that has made no name UFAs into thousand yard rushers for the past decade.

Its a different situation.

Wolf
09-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
We finally get a regime that makes changes when they don't play well and the lot of you complain? What happened to "In Kubiak we trust?"

we trust as far as we can throw ;)

srstex
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
In Kubiak we Trust died when our defense stopped the Eagles twice in a row and he called running plays and punted twice in a row. We throw we look good we run we suck, same as last year Carr sacked 5 times, same as last year, the D gets ONE sack, SO WHAT. ACCOUNTABILITY starts with the Head Coach, he lost the game since he made NO changes after half-time.

Doing the same thing the same way and expecting a different result is ( by definition ) insanity.

Texans86
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM

Absolutely agree with this one. Morency showed nothing more than potential, and Kubiak said before the season that he had a long way to go to get away from that shake 'n bake running style. And if I remember correctly, it was Morency who completely missed a block this past weekend and ended up with Carr on his back. Finally someone is held accountable and the Message Board explodes with complaints. Football is a business, and you can't get too attached to anyone. I do not know anything about Gado, but I'm willing to give him a chance before blasting off on him. You'd think people would support the team instead of jumping to conclusions about what a terrible idea this is.

Texans86
09-13-2006, 08:47 PM
In Kubiak we Trust died when our defense stopped the Eagles twice in a row and he called running plays and punted twice in a row. We throw we look good we run we suck, same as last year Carr sacked 5 times, same as last year, the D gets ONE sack, SO WHAT. ACCOUNTABILITY starts with the Head Coach, he lost the game since he made NO changes after half-time.

Doing the same thing the same way and expecting a different result is ( by definition ) insanity.

I believe in the Monday press conference Kubiak himself said they didn't adjust well in the second half. He's not making excuses, he said he screwed up. While Sherman is guiding him, he is still a first time head coach. Will he bounce back this week? I'd like to think so. We lost to a team that could go pretty far in the playoffs, and people think the sky is falling. I'd like to think Kubiak is getting paid for his expertise, and I'm not getting paid because I don't have one. Let him make his decisions as head coach.

Texans_Chick
09-13-2006, 08:50 PM
The question is whether this is a sign of desperation or seriousness in fixing the team.

Retooling into the season gives some of us flashbacks of *fixing* an offense on the fly last year. You know, OMG, no running game, let's grab a RB.

OTOH, the Texans have gotten into to trouble because they didn't cut bait and upgrade positions when they could.

Kubiak has said that competition at each position is serious. That he wants the best guys to do what he needs them to do, no matter how they were acquired.

Rick Smith has been brought in to leave no stone unturned for upgrading players and finding guys suitable to what they are doing.

My Denver friends have said that the key is to get Kubiak's kind of guys in place.

I leave you, with this special link, that expresses this conundrum....

in song: Frightening video, you've been warned!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdv8AHBAXEY)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

michaelm
09-13-2006, 08:50 PM

What do you mean by flat out signed? He wasn't a free agent, and he wasn't on the Packers practice squad? Not as far as I can find...

That means a trade was the only way to get him, right?

DRAMA
09-13-2006, 08:51 PM
are ya that afraid of change? We have been wanting someone to come in here and actually MAKE CHANGES.. and make people accountable.. and do what needed to be done to make this a good team.. now, 1 week into the season, yall are gonna throw a hissy cause they made a "big" change (and I use the term big lightly..considering we swapped second string RBs...can you even name the second string RB on half the teams in the NFL?)

We saw an opportunity to get someone we want more. They may have been willing to trade Morency much earlier, but the opportunity didnt arrive until Gado went for -7 yards on 2 rushes.

I think you hit it on the head. People on this board act like they're scared to death of anything and everything. Good Lord - I mean, "Oh, Gado was unknown so people weren't worried and then uhh...well....they planned for Favre and uhh...Gado was trying real hard......and then uhh...." So, Lundy wasn't an unknown?

If you're going to whine about every move then start a board because you all are sounding like a broken record. WAAAAHHHH EVERYTHING IS WRONG WAAAHHHHH!! KUBIAK SUCKS WAAAAAHHHHH MORENCY WAS EMMITT SMITH! WWAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Grid was right. Somebody finally holds someone accountable and all of a sudden Kubiak's wrong because some mechanic down in the 'nickel' thinks he knows how to run a football team. Here's some advice - tune in on Sunday and just shut up for a little while. Let the Texans fans intelligently critique the moves instead buttpuckering some WAAAAHHHHH out of your backside.

If Kubiak and Sherman wanted Gado, good! I support him. If he carries for 12 yards every week then maybe one day we can start questioning this. But after 20 minutes? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
:brickwall

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Not every team went 2-14 last season.. and not every team has a starting RB on IR.

Not every team has an offensive genius for a head coach that has made no name UFAs into thousand yard rushers for the past decade.

Its a different situation.

Hope he pans out GRID.....I love the Texans no matter who they have playing, change is good, and sometimes bad........I wish Morency the best...I tend to follow other players after they leave, to see how they turn out....another one I will be watching is Tony Hollings........All the Best to Gado and welcome to Houston.....and have a healthy season..

michaelm
09-13-2006, 08:53 PM

Thank God you dropped by to psychoanalyze the coach after one game...

Texans86
09-13-2006, 08:54 PM
From MSN

"He'll (Gado) be joining the Texans style of offense that uses zone blocking and requires the running back to cut once and head upfield. Gado, who runs best inside, appears to fit this style better than Morency, whom the coaches thought hesitated too much in the backfield."

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/5963954

This is a pretty good summary of what's been happening and why.

mexican_texan
09-13-2006, 08:55 PM

Pittsburgh and Miami had an advantage in signing Najeh Davenport because if Davenport was signed before a team's week 1 game, his contract would have been guaranteed. Since the Steelers and Dolphins played their game early, they could sign Davenport to an unguaranteed contract before everyone else played their game. I actually expected Davenport here since he was in Sherman's system in GB.

Grid
09-13-2006, 08:56 PM
boy ive heard these arguments before.

Definition of Insanity huh?

Ignorance: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed
example: Saying, with conviction, that a player or coach sucks after one game

Incompetent: not qualified or suited for a purpose
example: You passing judgement on Kubiak and the Morency trade at this juncture.

Windbag: A talkative person who communicates nothing of substance or interest.
Example: The people who say they want change, and they want a good team, but then complain when change happens.

Texans86
09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
boy ive heard these arguments before.

Definition of Insanity huh?

Ignorance: The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed
example: Saying, with conviction, that a player or coach sucks after one game

Incompetent: not qualified or suited for a purpose
example: You passing judgement on Kubiak and the Morency trade at this juncture.

Windbag: A talkative person who communicates nothing of substance or interest.
Example: The people who say they want change, and they want a good team, but then complain when change happens.

I knew I liked you Grid. Excellent post

K.D.
09-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm not all that surprised by this move. I liked VM, but what he gave us Lundy can give us also.I saw Gado play a couple of times and really impressed me with his speed and toughness. The game on Sunday showed us that we need a back that can break thru an arm tackle. Gado has explosiveness and can take the ball the distance without the shake and bake. Once he gets acclimated to our system, believe it or not he's going to take alot of Dayne's PT.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm not all that surprised by this move. I liked VM, but what he gave us Lundy can give us also.I saw Gado play a couple of times and really impressed me with his speed and toughness. The game on Sunday showed us that we need a back that can break thru an arm tackle. Gado has explosiveness and can take the ball the distance without the shake and bake. Once he gets acclimated to our system, believe it or not he's going to take alot of Dayne's PT.

Nice Post......I can't wait to see Ron play on Sunday......I knew we would get our Heisman Trophy winner.....nice to have him here.......

Texans_Chick
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM

Nice picture of this on the Fanhouse post (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/13/running-back-exchange-morency-to-green-bay-gado-to-houston/) I did on the trade.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Nice picture of this on the Fanhouse post (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/13/running-back-exchange-morency-to-green-bay-gado-to-houston/) I did on the trade.

Very Nice Texans Chick..........:shades:

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I find it odd that the Packers said that Gabo could not pick up the Zone Blocking scheme, isn't that what we are running too? I have said since we got Kubiak that this is a fresh start and that we could actually be 8-8 this season, but I agree with everyone else here, Gary is grasping at straws to deflect the Accountabilty he stands so strongly behind.
Do as I say not as I do should be Kubiaks new saying.
Let's face it you can't talk yourself out of a problem you performed yourself into.

I've got to go back and check, but I think our successful runs were not ZB, but Man blocking..... I don't think Kubiak is comfortable with us running the ZBS, and hasn't been since the Denver preseason game.

To me, it looks like we'll be running a ManBlocking scheme....

gtexan02
09-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I still don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is there so much love for Vernand Morency? For whatever reason, this ENTIRE board seems infatuated with this guy, and I can't tell if its a bandwagon reaction or what. Here's what we know about him:
nothing!

He played decent last year, averaging 4 ypc which is fine.

In the preseason, he WAS ALSO AVERAGE!!! Why does everyone think he had such a good preseason?

He NEVER NEVER NEVER started a single game. That means he was ALWAYS going up against 2nd string or worse defenses. Doesn't that mean anything? Lundy went up against 1st stringers and had the same stats that Morency did. If preseason is so indicitave, why don't people realize this?

Almost ALL of Lundy's great 5.5ypc stats is ERASED if you take out his 1 big run for 40+ yards. His ypc drops to a VERY average level, especially for someone going against 2nd string defenses.

I don't know if this was a good trade or not. VM looked elusive, and I like that. But Gado has the potential to be a great runner, and has showed in the regular season he can handle 25+ carries a game.

gtexan02
09-13-2006, 09:35 PM
I meant "Almost ALL of MORENCY's" not Lundy's