PDA

View Full Version : Trade: Samkon Gado for Vernand Morency

Pages : 1 [2]

gwallaia
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Gado?

Is that guy-doh?

or Gah-doe?

I was'nt even sure how Morency was pronounced.

Mr. White
09-13-2006, 10:05 PM
610's been saying Gad-do.

GP
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I find it odd that the Packers said that Gabo could not pick up the Zone Blocking scheme, isn't that what we are running too? I have said since we got Kubiak that this is a fresh start and that we could actually be 8-8 this season, but I agree with everyone else here, Gary is grasping at straws to deflect the Accountabilty he stands so strongly behind.
Do as I say not as I do should be Kubiaks new saying.
Let's face it you can't talk yourself out of a problem you performed yourself into.

Well said. Well said.

He's listening to Mike Sherman way too much or something.

I mean, is that NOT the case? I trust Sherman's coaching abilities, but I am not trusting his vision for personnel. Manning the LB was signed and promptly cut. And now we have Gado. We used some of GB's blocking scheme in the preseason and I wasn't nearly as impressed as I had been with Gary's true zone blocking scheme.

This trade is not even. They get a healthier guy than we get. That was a nasty knee injury Gado suffered. The only reason this trade is so "even" is because of Gado's durability issues.

BUT, I may stand corrected if Gado comes out and runs wild on Indy. If so, then it'll be the last time I second-guess Kubiak.

And for the record, this IS the first time I am second-guessing the guy. WHo can blame any of us for being "concerned?" We went all through TC with Lundy and Morency touted as the two guys sharing the carries...we go out and get Dayne who doesn't even dress out for Sunday. We cut Taylor, sign him to PS, then sign him to active roster, then cut him, then sign him to PS. And now Morency is traded to GB.

Talk about a lot of paperwork for the Texans FO. They've been single-handedly responsible for a steep decrease in forestry and octopus over the past week or so.

GP
09-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I've got to go back and check, but I think our successful runs were not ZB, but Man blocking..... I don't think Kubiak is comfortable with us running the ZBS, and hasn't been since the Denver preseason game.

To me, it looks like we'll be running a ManBlocking scheme....

I was almost certain that the Chiefs preseason game was ZB and the Rams game was either Man or a mix of ZB and man.

It "felt" like a Denver offense vs. the Chiefs, with the sliding run blocking and the bootlegs. and it didn't have that same feel for the remainder of the preseason games. And it was said by a coach or two (at the Rams game and then on forward) that we would also be trying some of Sherman's Green Bay man blocking stuff, as well, and not just ZB.

I don't know why we are not patterning our strategy more after the Chiefs preseason game. Unless...the Chiefs are the worst team in the NFL and they make anything look good. Which, could be the case. If so, I think I'll just re-watch the Chiefs preseason game against us every weekend and not the real game that's on. Then we'll be 16-0 as far as I am concerned.

Mr. White
09-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm feeling better now about the RB situation now than I was a week ago.

Gado and Dayne both had good showings last year. They just weren't gonna get anywhere on the depth chart where they were.

mexican_texan
09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
610's been saying Gad-do.
I believe that's it, but I didn't know that Wali Lundy's name was prounounced Wal-ee until the first game against the Chiefs.

GP
09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm feeling better now about the RB situation now than I was a week ago.

Gado and Dayne both had good showings last year. They just weren't gonna get anywhere on the depth chart where they were.

Oh, so they have the ability to get past defenders who beat the snap into the backfield?

Wow. No wonder Denver and GB were so eager to either cut or trade those guys. I just thought they were as expendable as Morency. My bad.:tease:

Mr. White
09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Oh, so they have the ability to get past defenders who beat the snap into the backfield?

Wow. No wonder Denver and GB were so eager to either cut or trade those guys. I just thought they were as expendable as Morency. My bad.:tease:

The OL situation is a whole different situation....I feel worse about that than I did a week ago. But who doesn't?

GP
09-13-2006, 10:32 PM
The OL situation is a whole different situation....I feel worse about that than I did a week ago. But who doesn't?

Sorry if I poked too much fun at your comment. I'm a little punch-drunk from the daily running back drama that I (and everyone else) had thought was going to be pretty firmed up by this point. Guess not.

This o line is not a bad one. I honestly think the Eagles are the best they have ever been, or we are the worst we've ever been. I tend to think the Eagles will return to their spot atop the NFC. A healthy McNabb, a slew of threats in Reggie Brown, Stallworth, LJ the TE, Westbrook, and McNabb himself are hard to stop--Along the same lines as the threats on the Colts.

I just think Kubiak is pulling the plug on the RBs too quickly. It was a bad opening day opponent for us. Period. Of course, the NFL did NO favors to us by making us go to Indy for our second game. Thanks a lot, you buttheads.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
This guy has a plan.

What did yall expect to happen? All the players Dumb and Dumber drafted were going to be kept? Look at all the dumb decisions that have been made by them by drafting players to high. (Please no references to Carr or Williams. That is a separate thread) The Texans of the past is going to be drastically different than the Texans of the future.

Kubiak is putting what his players should be in this team. Likewise in GB. Players we like will be traded and cut. Players that fit the description that we dont care for will be put in. Its a management thing. Its what happens. I wish we could hang a large banner saying "Under new management" on Reliant.

There is a plan. George Bush would call it "Strategery"<<<SNL reference.

Mr. White
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry if I poked too much fun at your comment. I'm a little punch-drunk from the daily running back drama that I (and everyone else) had thought was going to be pretty firmed up by this point. Guess not.

This o line is not a bad one.

No apology necessary....I think most of us are punch-drunk around here lately.

The line's good. They just need some time to gel. :hides:

12Gage
09-13-2006, 10:46 PM
I sense the trolls coming this way.

Wait for it...Wait for it....:hides:
what?

Mr. White
09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
This guy has a plan.

What did yall expect to happen? All the players Dumb and Dumber drafted were going to be kept? Look at all the dumb decisions that have been made by them by drafting players to high. (Please no references to Carr or Williams. That is a separate thread) The Texans of the past is going to be drastically different than the Texans of the future.

Kubiak is putting what his players should be in this team. Likewise in GB. Players we like will be traded and cut. Players that fit the description that we dont care for will be put in. Its a management thing. Its what happens. I wish we could hang a large banner saying "Under new management" on Reliant.

There is a plan. George Bush would call it "Strategery"<<<SNL reference.

I tend to agree here. Casserly's biggest mistake was hiring Capers. He had no track record of success as a head coach save for a fluke playoff run.

It was even bigger mistake letting that doofus tell him what personnel to bring in through the draft and free agency.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-13-2006, 10:50 PM
No apology necessary....I think most of us are punch-drunk around here lately.

The line's good. They just need some time to gel. :hides:

That they do, failing to pick up 3 defenders, on the left side of the line, is unacceptable....thank-god David Carr is one heck of a durable QB, if that was Chad Pennington he would of been out for the season.....

AlbinoRat
09-13-2006, 10:55 PM
or two he reminds me of Jack on will and grace

texan279
09-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Did anything about the pre-season running game re-appear on game day? The blocking was horrific, and neither running back could do anything.

Thank you. A voice of reason.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:00 PM
honestly im not at all worried by anything this staff has done so far. Im not regretting passing on Bush.. im not worried that we are shopping for RBs.

Everything... from trading Morency for Gado... to starting Spencer and Weary..to cutting Wand and Robaire.. to not blitzing until we get pressure from our front 4... all of this tells me that Kubiak and company HAS A PLAN. They are trying to create a system that they know will work.

I like this move because I dont think Kubiak would have done it if he felt Morency would succeed here. He apparently sees potential in Gado and decided that he would rather take a chance with him, than settle for what he knows Morency offers. Meaning.. he could make due with Morency, or take a chance on getting someone who could be a big contributor. He took the chance, and I can agree with that.

Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. We liked Morency for his POTENTIAL.. not what he ACTUALLY brought to the table. We traded him for someone with lots of potential as well. We have lost nothing here.. and since Kube wanted Gado.. id say its more likely that we have gained.

Morency was never allowed to SHOW what he could bring to the table, by either regime, except for in pre-season. I just had a feeling Morency would earn the starting spot at some time early in the season and he's traded after one game where neither back had success. Makes no sense to me.

TexanSam
09-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Morency was never allowed to SHOW what he could bring to the table, by either regime, except for in pre-season. I just had a feeling Morency would earn the starting spot at some time early in the season and he's traded after one game where neither back had success. Makes no sense to me.

I guess the coaches didn't think he was an everydown back. I do think Gado is a better running back than Morency, but that's because Gado has been given a chance to show himself and he proved himself well. Maybe the Texans thought he was too small or not durable enough. Either way, I'm happy with the deal.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I still don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is there so much love for Vernand Morency? For whatever reason, this ENTIRE board seems infatuated with this guy, and I can't tell if its a bandwagon reaction or what. Here's what we know about him:
nothing!

He played decent last year, averaging 4 ypc which is fine.

In the preseason, he WAS ALSO AVERAGE!!! Why does everyone think he had such a good preseason?

He NEVER NEVER NEVER started a single game. That means he was ALWAYS going up against 2nd string or worse defenses. Doesn't that mean anything? Lundy went up against 1st stringers and had the same stats that Morency did. If preseason is so indicitave, why don't people realize this?

Almost ALL of Lundy's great 5.5ypc stats is ERASED if you take out his 1 big run for 40+ yards. His ypc drops to a VERY average level, especially for someone going against 2nd string defenses.

I don't know if this was a good trade or not. VM looked elusive, and I like that. But Gado has the potential to be a great runner, and has showed in the regular season he can handle 25+ carries a game.

For one thing, he was the only back we had at all this pre season who seemed to have a clue about blocking. And what is with all the love for Gado on the board? Does anyone know anything about him except for the long run he made against a sorry Detroit defense on a Sunday night game last season? Someone even posted it on here earlier in the thread.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I guess the coaches didn't think he was an everydown back. I do think Gado is a better running back than Morency, but that's because Gado has been given a chance to show himself and he proved himself well. Maybe the Texans thought he was too small or not durable enough. Either way, I'm happy with the deal.

Well if the Texans really did feel that way about Morency, Davis should not be hanging around on IR...

LBC_Justin
09-13-2006, 11:15 PM
What where the Texans thinking? Morency was a "once in a decade" type player.

lol.

When I first heard the news....I smiled. I like Morency and wish him the best, but in Samkon Gato, I see a young guy, that is explosive, who has the right attitude, and does not have a lot of mileage on his tires. He could be just perfect for our system. Plus, we have guys on our staff that have gotten a really good look at both guys (not just game film) and they wanted him.

plus he has that big "Coming to America" smile.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:18 PM
What where the Texans thinking? Morency was a "once in a decade" type player.

lol.

When I first heard the news....I smiled. I like Morency and wish him the best, but in Samkon Gato, I see a young guy, that is explosive, who has the right attitude, and does not have a lot of mileage on his tires. He could be just perfect for our system. Plus, we have guys on our staff that have gotten a really good look at both guys (not just game film) and they wanted him.

plus he has that big "Coming to America" smile.

Man you sure know a lot about him, but his name is Gado, not Gato...

dirty steve
09-13-2006, 11:21 PM
ok noah webster. you probably couldnt spell his name before about 3 pm CST either.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:23 PM
ok noah webster. you probably couldnt spell his name before about 3 pm CST either.

Actually I could, I watched him in several games last year and knew about him last year, thanks for playing though.

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 11:25 PM
I was almost certain that the Chiefs preseason game was ZB and the Rams game was either Man or a mix of ZB and man.

That's what I said. Since Denver, we haven't run much Zone blocking.

KC, ZoneBlocking

StL... ZoneBlocking/ManBlocking

Denver....... ManBlocking

TampaBay..... ManBlocking...... a little ZoneBlocking

Denver... ManBlocking...... a little ZoneBlocking

dirty steve
09-13-2006, 11:26 PM
just seems a pretty petty thing to point out--you trying out for junior moderator in charge of gramatical correctness?

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:28 PM
just seems a pretty petty thing to point out--you trying out for junior moderator in charge of gramatical correctness?

The point was he claimed to know so much about the guy as a player and couldn't even spell his name right, if you want to get personal do it in a PM instead of trying to call me out in an open thread.

Grid
09-13-2006, 11:28 PM
I dunno what else to say.. id just be repeating myself.

We traded a second string RB for a second string RB that we liked more. Morency didnt just have one regular season game.. he had 2 years.. or if you prefer, he had a full offseason, 4 preseason games, and 1 regular season game, with Kubiak. That is enough time to show that you are too valuable to be traded. Morency didnt do it. He HAS been evaluated.. Kubiak isnt flying off the seat of his pants.

Dunno what else to say. I dont think anything is gonna convince some people to just chill and see what happens. There is a time to cry foul.. and a time to be patient. Kubiak is in his first season as our head coach..now is the time to be patient and see what he is going to do.

If you think we dismissed Morency too quickly.. then you must really be disgusted with yourself... you have dismissed Gado before he has even donned a Texans uniform.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 11:30 PM

:rofl: is there a position open :rofl:

:bag:

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 11:32 PM

We traded a second string RB for a second string RB that we liked more. Morency didnt just have one regular season game.. he had 2 years.. or if you prefer, he had a full offseason, 4 preseason games, and 1 regular season game, with Kubiak. That is enough time to show that you are too valuable to be traded. Morency didnt do it. He HAS been evaluated.. Kubiak isnt flying off the seat of his pants.

Dunno what else to say. I dont think anything is gonna convince some people to just chill and see what happens. There is a time to cry foul.. and a time to be patient. Kubiak is in his first season as our head coach..now is the time to be patient and see what he is going to do.

If you think we dismissed Morency too quickly.. then you must really be disgusted with yourself... you have dismissed Gado before he has even donned a Texans uniform.

wow. well said. people tend not to keep an open mind about things, hence the problem.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:33 PM

Gado was listed as a 3rd team running back behind Ahman Green and Noah Herron. I am not dismissing Gado in anyway, but some here act as if he is the second coming of Earl Campbell because of what he did last season in 8 games with the Packers. Fact is if Morency is as bad as some are making him out to be and Gado is as great as some claim why would Green Bay even make the trade?

Grid
09-13-2006, 11:39 PM
That is just optimism.. nothing wrong with it.

The high opinion of Gado stems from the fact that he is young..he is of prototypical size, with homerun speed. Also, he had some great games when he was the starter for the Packers. On top of that, we have a head coach that knows running backs, who comes from a system that is infamous for taking guys no one else thought was any good and turning them into one of the best backs in the league.

I think alot of the excitement comes from that last part. Gado is a guy that Kubiak has singled out as "a guy we want".. and that means that Kubiak probably feels that he could have what it takes to be our difference maker in the backfield. Coming from a guy with Kubiaks experience...that warrants some excitement.

Fact of the matter is that Gado has looked flat this year.. he has had alot of trouble with the zone blocking, and has apparently done poorly enough to make the Pack go out and find someone to replace him. So its no surprise that they were willing to trade him.

He isnt a sure thing by any stretch.. And I wouldnt say that we snuck in under the radar and grabbed a gem that no one knew about. But, as I said above, we have a coach that has had huge success with running backs.. and if he feels that Gado was worth getting, then there must be more to him than people realize... or at least, Kubiak thinks so. More than likely if Gado becomes a star, its gonna be because Kubiak did the right things to make Gado's strengths work in our system. Kubiak is capable of that though..so im excited about it.

I feel like this post is nonsensical and hypocritical... but i am too tired to proofread and word it better. Im sure someone will let me know if I contradicted myself :D

socalfan
09-13-2006, 11:40 PM
I thought Morency was a good player in the pre-season. He won't get very far because GB's offensive line is worse that Houstons.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:42 PM
That is just optimism.. nothing wrong with it.

The high opinion of Gado stems from the fact that he is young..he is of prototypical size, with homerun speed. Also, he had some great games when he was the starter for the Packers. On top of that, we have a head coach that knows running backs, who comes from a system that is infamous for taking guys no one else thought was any good and turning them into one of the best backs in the league.

I think alot of the excitement comes from that last part. Gado is a guy that Kubiak has singled out as "a guy we want".. and that means that Kubiak probably feels that he could have what it takes to be our difference maker in the backfield. Coming from a guy with Kubiaks experience...that warrants some excitement.

Fact of the matter is that Gado has looked flat this year.. he has had alot of trouble with the zone blocking, and has apparently done poorly enough to make the Pack go out and find someone to replace him. So its no surprise that they were willing to trade him.

He isnt a sure thing by any stretch.. And I wouldnt say that we snuck in under the radar and grabbed a gem that no one knew about. But, as I said above, we have a coach that has had huge success with running backs.. and if he feels that Gado was worth getting, then there must be more to him than people realize... or at least, Kubiak thinks so. More than likely if Gado becomes a star, its gonna be because Kubiak did the right things to make Gado's strengths work in our system. Kubiak is capable of that though..so im excited about it.

I feel like this post is nonsensical and hypocritical... but i am too tired to proofread and word it better. Im sure someone will let me know if I contradicted myself :D

Let me begin I am not directing this at you Grid. I have no problem with optimism, it seems though when some here get excited about certain players it is optimism, but when others get excited about other players, it is "homerism". Once again, it was not directed at you or anyone else directly, just a general observation of the board.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Gado was listed as a 3rd team running back behind Ahman Green and Noah Herron. I am not dismissing Gado in anyway, but some here act as if he is the second coming of Earl Campbell because of what he did last season in 8 games with the Packers. Fact is if Morency is as bad as some are making him out to be and Gado is as great as some claim why would Green Bay even make the trade?

You have two teams that did poorly. You have two new HCs. They traded for players that fit thier ideal system, repectively. The trade puts us one step closer to achieving Kubiaks team without the Dom and Casserly hangover. We hate to see Morency go, but we have faith in the HC that it will bring us a W.

The games we were hoping to win at the start of the season was probably written off. The whole season may have been written off. His building the team still. Have faith. Everything is going to be ok. Just sit back and watch.

:popcorn: texanpride :fans:

tburdette
09-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I think Gado will do very well here. He can't do anyworse than some of our other backs have done (Stacey Mack).

Grid
09-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Let me begin I am not directing this at you Grid. I have no problem with optimism, it seems though when some here get excited about certain players it is optimism, but when others get excited about other players, it is "homerism". Once again, it was not directed at you or anyone else directly, just a general observation of the board.

Yah.. optimism and homerism are interchangeable.. depending on which camp you are in and what point you are trying to make :rolleyes:

*edit* as possibly the biggest homer on the board, i try not to call others homers :D.. people and glass houses...

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:47 PM
You have two teams that did poorly. You have two new HCs. They traded for players that fit thier ideal system, repectively. The trade puts us one step closer to achieving Kubiaks team without the Dom and Casserly hangover. We hate to see Morency go, but we have faith in the HC that it will bring us a W.

The games we were hoping to win at the start of the season was probably written off. The whole season may have been written off. His building the team still. Have faith. Everything is going to be ok. Just sit back and watch.

:popcorn: texanpride :fans:

I have complete faith, I have been sitting here watching people go nuts all week because of last Sunday. I have said in the past months that I give the entire team at least 1 full season to see improvement, but I personally think we will start seeing some improvement by the middle of this season. Just because I don't agree with a trade or decisions made doesn't mean I am giving up, I have been here since day one, I am not going anywhere, and I have more faith in Kubiak after one regualr season game than I ever did in Capers in 4 seasons.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 11:51 PM

So, what you are saying is some people can voice thier opinion, and others cant about the same topic....hmmmmmm. What are your qualifications?

I hope anyone can get excited about this team. Whether they know fb or not. We are in need of quality fans that just dont want to criticize everything done positive or negative about a sports team. Fairweather fans are too common in Houston.

HJam72
09-13-2006, 11:52 PM
I do actually think that Capers gave Morency enough opportunity. The fact is that Morency danced around and didn't have much success at all until this last preseason with Kubiak. I don't, however, think that Kubiak gave him a fair shot. Sorry, but he showed quite a bit this preseason and Lundy was "favored". At the very least, Morency should've gotten more chances last Sunday, even if he didn't start. Nothing against Lundy, but I think Morency got a raw deal.

Regardless, I will still be OK with this trade if this guy comes in and plays well. It's upsetting to hear that we trading Morency for a UFA who's played so little (apparently), etc., but we'll just have to see. Some are really high on the new guy and one of them is somebody whose opinions I've learned to respect over time.

TexansBull
09-13-2006, 11:53 PM
I have complete faith, I have been sitting here watching people go nuts all week because of last Sunday. I have said in the past months that I give the entire team at least 1 full season to see improvement, but I personally think we will start seeing some improvement by the middle of this season. Just because I don't agree with a trade or decisions made doesn't mean I am giving up, I have been here since day one, I am not going anywhere, and I have more faith in Kubiak after one regualr season game than I ever did in Capers in 4 seasons.

Thats great man...I love to hear that stuff...ignore my previous post...

kingh99
09-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Bottomline is when you look up at the yards per carry stat at halftime of the first game and it's like 1.7 you turn to your buddy and say I don't care what the scoreboard says now, we are going to lose. And we got crushed. No way they go back to war with that kind of production. Move on.

Morency was probably putting off the wrong vibe about running style. Seeing his angry act when he first got the ball in preseason you could sense he was frustrated about being second behind the rookie. He was awesome in that preseason game but went back to bad in a hurry after the initial dissed rush wore off. Good luck bud. We'll have to take our chances. This guy we got is an Ebo, something about born to run in Nigeria. Good luck Ebo man.

Snapple
09-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Fact is if Morency is as bad as some are making him out to be and Gado is as great as some claim why would Green Bay even make the trade?

And if Morency is that great, why would WE make the trade? See how that logic works both ways and is self-defeating.

The trade was made because both sides obviously think they're getting a good deal. One side will be right, the other will be wrong.

Why did the Jets trade Santana Moss straight up for Lavernues Coles? If you were a Redskins fan at the time, you'd probably poopoo the trade because you'd say Moss must not be good if the Jets would trade him. Well, Santana Moss was one of the best receivers in the NFL last year, while Coles did almost nothing for the Jets.

So why did the Packers trade Gado for Morency? The same reason the Jets traded Moss for Coles, because they're morons.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:59 PM
And if Morency is that great, why would WE make the trade? See how that logic works both ways and is self-defeating.

The trade was made because both sides obviously think they're getting a good deal. One side will be right, the other will be wrong.

Why did the Jets trade Santana Moss straight up for Lavernues Coles? If you were a Redskins fan at the time, you'd probably poopoo the trade because you'd say Moss must not be good if the Jets would trade him. Well, Santana Moss was one of the best receivers in the NFL last year, while Coles did almost nothing for the Jets.

So why did the Packers trade Gado for Morency? The same reason the Jets traded Moss for Coles, because they're morons.

So you are saying our front office is full of morons?

phan1
09-14-2006, 12:00 AM
I just don't know what to think guys. I like Morency a lot and thought he should be the starter. You know, the Packers use the zone blocking scheme too, and they are being coached with a guy who had direct ties to Alex Gibbs (just like we do). I forgot who it was... Could someone find out cause I remember reading an article about it.

Anyway, I do think of this as a more negative thing, cause it disrupts the team, and it feels like we're hitting the panick button here. All I can really say is to have a little blind faith in our front office and pray they knew exactly what they were doing.

All I know is that there were just no holes to run through against the Eagles on Sun. We need to fix that first. Plain and simple.

TexansBull
09-14-2006, 12:10 AM
mods please delete *EDIT*

i agree but it comes in handy sometimes.........:heh:

but anyways I feel we have beat a dead hourse and this is slowly becoming like the reggie and mario debate along with carr threads....time will tell and hopefully our FO made the right decision. I expect we will now be compairing two pairs of players throughout thier careers. Atleast one pair we can compare fairly.

I blame myself.:homer:

texan279
09-14-2006, 12:12 AM
I just don't know what to think guys. I like Morency a lot and thought he should be the starter. You know, the Packers use the zone blocking scheme too, and they are being coached with a guy who had direct ties to Alex Gibbs (just like we do). I forgot who it was... Could someone find out cause I remember reading an article about it.

Anyway, I do think of this as a more negative thing, cause it disrupts the team, and it feels like we're hitting the panick button here. All I can really say is to have a little blind faith in our front office and pray they knew exactly what they were doing.

All I know is that there were just no holes to run through against the Eagles on Sun. We need to fix that first. Plain and simple.

Their new offensive coordinator is Jeff Jagodzinski.

Jagodzinski served last season as the Falcons offensive line coach, a promotion he earned after his first year in Atlanta, 2004, as tight ends coach. While in Atlanta, he worked with offensive line consultant Alex Gibbs, the architect of some of the best offensive lines in NFL history, including that of the 1997-98 Super Bowl champion Broncos.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/jagodzinski_jeff/

michaelm
09-14-2006, 01:24 AM

Wrong.
Both players could be successful with their new teams in the future. Who's to say?
It is possible for the trade to work out for both teams.

michaelm
09-14-2006, 01:30 AM
they are being coached with a guy who had direct ties to Alex Gibbs (just like we do). I forgot who it was... Could someone find out cause I remember reading an article about it.

The head coach is:
Mike McCarthy, 49ers Offensive Coordinator 2005 - Saints Offensive Coordinator 2000-2004.

*edit*
when I posted this I thought you were talking about the new HC, not the OC... I decided to leave it in.

RiotCommander
09-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Wrong.
Both players could be successful with their new teams in the future. Who's to say?
It is possible for the trade to work out for both teams.

Portis for Bailey was a good trade for both teams. A much more high profile trade, but it can happen.

Double Barrel
09-14-2006, 01:39 AM
What would Dom do? He wouldn't have made this move! So we should do the exact opposite, which is what Kubiak did. :hmmm:

Besides, Morency was a player from the previous regime's decisions. So many of those player have been moved that I've lost count. It's obvious that either they don't fit Kubiak's systems, or they weren't that good to begin with.

I look at this decision as a positive, and really look forward to seeing Gado in action. Good luck to both players.

phan1
09-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Just to ask, We don't know who is going to start, Gabo or Lundy. Correct? It's a fantasy football question. :)

LBC_Justin
09-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Man you sure know a lot about him, but his name is Gado, not Gato...lol sorry about the spelling. Yes, I actually know how to spell his name, but I also know how to type really really fast and sometimes by the time it goes from the mind to the fingers it turns into a different more familar word.

I watched every snap he took last year. How many people here can say that?
(Thanks to Tivo and DirectTV NFL Sunday Ticket w/ NFL Superfan/ NFL shortcuts, I almost saw every snap for all 32 teams last year. My girlfriend calls it addiction.)

michaelm
09-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Just to ask, We don't know who is going to start, Gabo or Lundy. Correct? It's a fantasy football question. :)

Gado shouldn't start this week. Lundy or Dayne.

Don't be surprised if it's Dayne.

texan279
09-14-2006, 02:24 AM
lol sorry about the spelling. Yes, I actually know how to spell his name, but I also know how to type really really fast and sometimes by the time it goes from the mind to the fingers it turns into a different more familar word.

I watched every snap he took last year. How many people here can say that?
(Thanks to Tivo and DirectTV NFL Sunday Ticket w/ NFL Superfan/ NFL shortcuts, I almost saw every snap for all 32 teams last year. My girlfriend calls it addiction.)

Yeah I wasn't dogging you man, I saw 7 of the 8 games he started so I guess I cant say I saw every snap.

Malloy
09-14-2006, 02:47 AM
It could be that Morency wanted a trade and got it. He was pounding that trade drum in the pre-season.

Good point, I missed that one. May have been a morale thing too, but I have no idea, all I can do is speculate :)

HJam72
09-14-2006, 02:51 AM
I read somewhere that Dayne is supposed to play a lot next Sunday. Don't know if that necessarilly means starting.

LBC_Justin
09-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Hmmm...

Just got of the Jags board. They seem to think we robbed the packers and are wandering the the heck the packers are thinking.

link (http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic67679-7-1.aspx)

Let's all hope it plays out that way.

Malloy
09-14-2006, 03:30 AM
I leave you, with this special link, that expresses this conundrum....

in song: Frightening video, you've been warned!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdv8AHBAXEY)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hey TC, what's wrong with the Ant? :)

Malloy
09-14-2006, 03:41 AM
They've been single-handedly responsible for a steep decrease in forestry and octopus over the past week or so.

Hehe, funny :)

Malloy
09-14-2006, 04:05 AM
My girlfriend calls it addiction.)

I would call it "need a job" :)

beerlover
09-14-2006, 04:17 AM
WHO NEEDS REGGIE BUSH WE JUST TRADED FOR SAMKON GADO :yahoo:

PapaL
09-14-2006, 05:10 AM
What do you mean by flat out signed? He wasn't a free agent, and he wasn't on the Packers practice squad? Not as far as I can find...

That means a trade was the only way to get him, right?

Here you go:

Packers release RB Davenport in final round of cuts
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2570806

Steelers sign RB Davenport to one-year contract
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2579598

JDizzle
09-14-2006, 07:32 AM
deleted race baiting

LOL, somehow this comment doesn't surprise me.

TEXANRED
09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Gado shouldn't start this week. Lundy or Dayne.

Don't be surprised if it's Dayne.
First I draft Morency b/c I thought he would start

Then I have to trade Moulds to get Lundy

Dayne is already taken.

Deangelo is my reserve.

I'm screwed.

TexansAllTheWayBaby
09-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Okay, our Houston Texans gave up RB Vernand Morency for Packers RB Samkon Gado Wednesday. I think this was in effort to obviously improve our running game, and this trade just adds more depth to our team.

Samkon Gado gained 582 yards on 143 carries during the games he played for the Green Bay Packers last season, averaging over 4 yards per carry. This guy obviously has a tremendous amount of talent, and also fits our system very well, which includes being a good-downhill runner.

In terms of letting Vernand Morecy go, I wish him the best of luck in the future. I thought he had a good pre-season with us this season, got a few touches vs. Philadelphia last week, and he did everything that we asked of him.

Overall, I feel this was a good trade for both teams and hopefully this will improve our backfield status, as it should.

On a side note, my ''Preview of the Indianapolis Colts'' will be posted later today (Thursday), so please watch for that.

Texans34Life
09-14-2006, 08:04 AM
I like the Gado for Morency trade. But they should of went for someone who can help out the depleted secondary.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Why create a whole new thread though? There is alrady a good debate in the official thread...

AtheGreat
09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
my face lit up this morning when i opened the sports section of the Chron. this morning. I had no idea we pulled this off, we got a good deal. Now we have the speedster, the brusier, and the all purpose man. Think this would have taken 3 season for DC to pull off. Now if only we could get that C.C. Brown for Ed Reed trade.....:hmmm:

Sportsfan
09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
************deleted*****************

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Well someone gave me a negative rep point for posting this earlier in this thread, so maybe if I prove it with the stats, you won't be so angry. At least leave a message or your name so at least I can know what you didn't like...

Anyway. Here is my opinion on why we traded Morency. The FO believed him to be expendable, because they believed Lundy was the better all around back. Everyone keeps clamoring that Morency had a much better preseason, and that he should have been the starter on day 1, but I just don't see it. Here's the proof:

He was more effective than Lundy:
Wali Lundy
26 carries for 143 yards (5.5 ypc), long of 25, 1 TD
6 receptions for 52 yards, long of 13

Vernand Morency
24 carries for 131 yards (5.5 ypc), long of 43, 2 TDs
6 receptions for 39 yards, long of 10

Now heres the important part (I'm only counting the games both played in)
Game 2 vs. STL:
Lundy 1st play - 1st Quarter, 15 minutes remaining
Morency 1st play - 2nd Quarter, 11:45 minutes remaining

Game 3 vs. Den:
Lundy 1st play - 1st Quarter, 9:02 remaining
Morency 1st play - 3rd Quarter, 14:39 remaining

Do you see where I'm going? Morency never got a single snap against 1st team defenses, and probably got very limited action against 2nd teamers. Most of his playing time was against defensive players that aren't even on some of these teams anymore.

He is a better blocker than Lundy
During the preseason, I would agree that Morency had 2 good blocks, and Lundy had 0. If you'll remember Kubiak's press releases though, he claimed that Morency was having a lot of trouble with blocking as well. Remember again that Morency was playing against 2nd and worse team defenses. We all saw what happened when Morency tried to make a block in a regular season game against a 1st team D. It wasn't pretty. Reminiscent of Lundy's failed attempts. Proper place and effort, but wasn't capable of taking on such a big defender.

So here's the deal. Morency wasn't better than Lundy in the preseason. In fact, if you substract that 1 long run each had, Morency's yards per carry 3.8. You can't count on those long ones every time. Without that 43 yarder, Morency was 23 carries for 88 yards! That isn't great. Without Lundy's long one, he was 25 for 112 (4.7ypc). And against 1st team Ds.

Clearly, the coaches realized Morency wasn't productive and consistent enough. Thats why he didn't start. As such, he was expendable. And they didn't pass up the opportunity to get a guy who can carry the load himself, and was the sole offensive force on a horrible GB team for the last half of the season.

texan279
09-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Well someone gave me a negative rep point for posting this earlier in this thread, so maybe if I prove it with the stats, you won't be so angry. At least leave a message or your name so at least I can know what you didn't like...

Anyway. Here is my opinion on why we traded Morency. The FO believed him to be expendable, because they believed Lundy was the better all around back. Everyone keeps clamoring that Morency had a much better preseason, and that he should have been the starter on day 1, but I just don't see it. Here's the proof:

Wali Lundy

Vernand Morency

Game 2 vs. STL:

Game 3 vs. Den:

Do you see where I'm going? Morency never got a single snap against 1st team defenses, and probably got very limited action against 2nd teamers. Most of his playing time was against defensive players that aren't even on some of these teams anymore.

During the preseason, I would agree that Morency had 2 good blocks, and Lundy had 0. If you'll remember Kubiak's press releases though, he claimed that Morency was having a lot of trouble with blocking as well. Remember again that Morency was playing against 2nd and worse team defenses. We all saw what happened when Morency tried to make a block in a regular season game against a 1st team D. It wasn't pretty. Reminiscent of Lundy's failed attempts. Proper place and effort, but wasn't capable of taking on such a big defender.

So here's the deal. Morency wasn't better than Lundy in the preseason. In fact, if you substract that 1 long run each had, Morency's yards per carry 3.8. You can't count on those long ones every time. Without that 43 yarder, Morency was 23 carries for 88 yards! That isn't great. Without Lundy's long one, he was 25 for 112 (4.7ypc). And against 1st team Ds.

Clearly, the coaches realized Morency wasn't productive and consistent enough. Thats why he didn't start. As such, he was expendable. And they didn't pass up the opportunity to get a guy who can carry the load himself, and was the sole offensive force on a horrible GB team for the last half of the season.

One of the many things I have learned from Vinny is that you cannot judge players based on stats in football. And subtracting Morency's longest run of the preseason to drop his YPC is ridiculous.

real
09-14-2006, 08:45 AM
One of the many things I have learned from Vinny is that you cannot judge players based on stats in football. And subtracting Morency's longest run of the preseason to drop his YPC is ridiculous.

It's not really ridiculous...If he had constantly broke long runs then it would be ridiculous to subtract his longest...But he had one long run, and IMO that was all O-line...He was untouched all the way to the endzone...I think the point he was trying to make is that he wasn't consistent...He had one long run in 24 carries .....Even if we assume that he can break one 40 yarder every 25 attempts, that still wouldn't be good enough...And the likely hood of him breaking a 40 yarder every 25 attempts is reaching...

Cjeremy635
09-14-2006, 08:51 AM

Wali Lundy

Vernand Morency

Game 2 vs. STL:

Game 3 vs. Den:

Gtex, I like where you're going with this and it makes sense. I know you have to add in the long runs, because it is part of the game, but I do see the difference as well when you take them away. I only found out about this trade on my way to work this morning on the radio. I was in shock, but I do remember Gado from last year's games that I got to watch and he was impressive. I think he will be able to contribute and I put my faith in this coaching staff more so than I ever did in Capers' crew. These guys are trying to build a winning unit out of a bunch of losers, seriously, that's what we were last year. I know it's hard to say that. I watched and rooted each game, and each game I felt my heart sink a little deeper and deeper. I think this is one more move in the right direction for a bigger goal than winning in week two.

texan279
09-14-2006, 08:55 AM
It's not really ridiculous...If he had constantly broke long runs then it would be ridiculous to subtract his longest...But he had one long run, and IMO that was all O-line...He was untouched all the way to the endzone...I think the point he was trying to make is that he wasn't consistent...He had one long run in 24 carries .....Even if we assume that he can break one 40 yarder every 25 attempts, that still wouldn't be good enough...And the likely hood of him breaking a 40 yarder every 25 attempts is reaching...

I don't even know why I am responding, but if you take that 43 yard runaway from Morency in the St. Louis game, he would still have had 10 carries for 52 yards, or 5.2 YPC. In the same game take away Lundy's longest run of 21 yards and he would have had 6 carries for 19 yards, or 3.1 YPC. You can't take away a back's longest rush for the sake of stats no matter what the reason is for him breaking the long run. We could sit here and assume and play with stats all day if we wanted to make one back look better than the other on paper, all I know is IMO Morency was the better back in the preseason and he was given all of 5 carries in our first game before being traded.

MasterBasser
09-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Gadomighty! I just worked a trade to get Lundy in my fantasy league and now this? I had the starting RB job handcuffed as I also had Morency. Gado is already on a roster. being a huge Texan fan I think this is an excellent move. Texans running game was anemic last week so a change can't make it any worse.

texan279
09-14-2006, 09:00 AM

Oh, and if you guys are so big on stats, in the preseason Gado had 27 carries for 65 yards for a YPC of 2.4, and that was against 2nd and 3rd team defenses. In the Packers first game this season he had 2 carries for -7 yards.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 09:09 AM
texan279 - I wasn't saying that you had to take away that long run, i was just trying to make a point regarding consistency.

Can you argue that Morency was up against 2nd and 3rd teamers the entire time?

real
09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Oh, and if you guys are so big on stats, in the preseason Gado had 27 carries for 65 yards for a YPC of 2.4, and that was against 2nd and 3rd team defenses. In the Packers first game this season he had 2 carries for -7 yards.

First of all I am not a stat guy...I could care less about stats...I was just trying to explain to you what that guy was trying to convey...And I think he made his point pretty clear...over the course of the pre-season Lundy was our most consistent back...period....Breaking one long run in 25 carries is hardly consistent any way you spin it.....If you take away both players longest run...Lundy is the more consistent back...If you leave both players longest run in, the only thing Morency leads him in is touchdowns...Morency looked good to me also, but he was going against second and third teamers...Lundy was solid going against first teamers...Neither one of them had clearly seperated themselves from the other so it doesn't matter any way...Morency was 26...not old, but but older than the back we brought in and older than Lundy...We win either way...cheaper..younger...not much drop off in talent if any at all....

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 09:10 AM

I'm not trying to justify the Gado trade, I'm just trying to paint my picture of why I believe the FO thought Morency was expendable. And the fact was that Lundy outperformed him

dtran04
09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
If Morency was so great, he would have at least beat out a 6th round pick. Let's be serious, do some people think they know more than Kubiak? It's one thing if its a defensive player where he might not be an expert on but come on. I can sleep at night knowing that Kubiak knows his QB's and RB's.

Mr Shush
09-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Green Bay think Green's back to something like his best, so they wanted a shifty 3rd down back with good receiving skills out of the backfield more than a downhill bruiser. We were looking for someone to share the load in a more general sense as part of a committee, so we were more interested in just having the better pure rusher. Both teams are probably getting what they think they're getting, which probably means this is a win for both teams. Just not a very big one.

texan279
09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
If Morency was so great, he would have at least beat out a 6th round pick. Let's be serious, do some people think they know more than Kubiak? It's one thing if its a defensive player where he might not be an expert on but come on. I can sleep at night knowing that Kubiak knows his QB's and RB's.

Like others have said already, draft position means nothing. I never said I knew more than Kubiak, all I have said is that I do not think Morency was given a fair shot at earning a spot on the team.

HoustonFrog
09-14-2006, 09:50 AM
I find it odd that the Packers said that Gabo could not pick up the Zone Blocking scheme, isn't that what we are running too? I have said since we got Kubiak that this is a fresh start and that we could actually be 8-8 this season, but I agree with everyone else here, Gary is grasping at straws to deflect the Accountabilty he stands so strongly behind.
Do as I say not as I do should be Kubiaks new saying.
Let's face it you can't talk yourself out of a problem you performed yourself into.

I hear ya. That is what stunned me. Especially after picking up Dayne. Desperation is a stinky cologne.

GrandPa
09-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Finally a move that I like...

Samkon Gado can be the starter by the 6th week...

I think this is a great move by the Texans, he could have a huge impact to this team and even though I think Morency was a better back than Lundy, Gado has the ability to be far superior than either of them...

He will either be a homerun or a strikeout, I strongly lean towards a homerun. Only time will tell...

El Tejano
09-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't mean to sound elementary or anything but man I put that kid on my Madden with Dayne and all I can say is that if this can work anything like it did in Madden scheme wise, we might have a good thing going.

Try pounding it with this kid and letting Dayne come in and do even more pounding.

I know it is only Madden so don't go all nuts on me.

Who do you think he RESEMBLES running the ball? I think Bettis.

hot pickle
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
i miss DD:crying:

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
i miss DD:crying:

Why? Do you really think he could've done any better against Philly? IMO, I don't think so. I like what we've got. So cheer up little fella:redtowel:

Bsacamano
09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
People need to stop freaking out about this deal. By next season, BOTH of these guys will be on their respective teams, but NEITHER will be a starter. Gado provides us with an everydown back who is capable of starting THIS season and maybe be a #2 in the following seasons. Morency gives GB a change of pace type back. IMO I like what I saw from Morency in the preseason, but let's face it, he is not an EVERY down type of back. This deal looks to be a wash for both teams.

What I DO like, is that Kubiak is constantly looking to do things that he thinks will improve the team. This is in direct opposition to Caper's style which was to stick with something/someone even when it was not working

Txn_in_Oki
Just to ask, We don't know who is going to start, Gabo or Lundy.

When did we sign him?

http://www.snipp.org/aggeggioso/cards/cards/gabbo.gif

At least he'll add some comedy.

Hervoyel
my face lit up this morning when i opened the sports section of the Chron. this morning. I had no idea we pulled this off, we got a good deal. Now we have the speedster, the brusier, and the all purpose man. Think this would have taken 3 season for DC to pull off. Now if only we could get that C.C. Brown for Ed Reed trade.....:hmmm:

I dunno, under the previous regime we took care of it in 2 seasons by...

Drafting Jonathan Wells to get our bruiser, except that he ran like he weighed 190 and fell over as soon as you put a hand on him. Eventually he became a fairly average "all purpose back" though.

Drafting Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft to get our speedster, except of course that he could never really run away from anyone and fell over as soon as you put a hand on him)

Signing Stacy Mack to fill that bruiser role, except that he got himself some turf toe and lost his job to Domanick Davis, then found himself out of the league.

If you think about that staff would have had zero running game if they hadn't picked DD to return kicks and come in on third downs. It was just blind, stupid luck that he gave them around 3,000 yards the past three years.

Their one successful pick at RB was an accident. That about sums up their run.

hot pickle
09-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Why? Do you really think he could've done any better against Philly? IMO, I don't think so. I like what we've got. So cheer up little fella:redtowel:

i like what we got, but i just liked watchin DD break those big runs, and our running game would of been better against philly is he was here, but hopefully hes around next season

cuppacoffee
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
People need to stop freaking out about this deal. By next season, BOTH of these guys will be on their respective teams, but NEITHER will be a starter. Gado provides us with an everydown back who is capable of starting THIS season and maybe be a #2 in the following seasons. Morency gives GB a change of pace type back. IMO I like what I saw from Morency in the preseason, but let's face it, he is not an EVERY down type of back. This deal looks to be a wash for both teams.

What I DO like, is that Kubiak is constantly looking to do things that he thinks will improve the team. This is in direct opposition to Caper's style which was to stick with something/someone even when it was not working

Exactly.

The Texans are a work in progress.

I will not be suprised to see the roster 'tweaked' all year long.

:coffee:

66cobra
09-14-2006, 11:42 AM
i like what we got, but i just liked watchin DD break those big runs, and our running game would of been better against philly is he was here, but hopefully hes around next season

What big runs? DD had no breakaway speed. He was good for 4 yards and a cloud of dust, unless he caught a pass out of the backfield. I don't think he had too many runs over 25 yards and it seemed like whenever he broke open ahead of the defense, somebody would catch up to him and either drag him down or knock him out of bounds

I didn't think Morency was going to last long in Houston. This is because, in my opinion, even though there was an article saying he was working on "one cut and go", he still seemed to "dance" or even stutter step when he got the ball (especially in the last preseason game). Plus, his attempt at pass blocking was pathetic. Believe you me, I have seen enough football games and coached a few to know what I am talking about.

DayneBum
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Thats what I keep saying but no one listens.

Dayne was a huge pick up. He has size and speed and already knows the system. Not to mention he is a vet with starting experience unlike the rest of our backfield. The only question is can he catch.

catch the ball.....Dever jut rarely throws to there rb's..He had2 cathces this preseason fo 20yds.And last preseason against u guys he had a spectacular 1 handed catch. Do u remeber. As a matter of fact he a had feild day on the Texans last preseason. He led all rushes.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
catch the ball.....Dever jut rarely throws to there rb's..He had2 cathces this preseason fo 20yds.And last preseason against u guys he had a spectacular 1 handed catch. Do u remeber. As a matter of fact he a had feild day on the Texans last preseason. He led all rushes.

Who didn't have a field day against the Texans last year. I think there were a couple of teams that had multiple RBs with over 100 yards on the ground against us.:stirpot:

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Exactly.

The Texans are a work in progress.

I will not be suprised to see the roster 'tweaked' all year long.

:coffee:

Totally agree, this will not be the last roster move this season.......

El Tejano
09-14-2006, 02:06 PM
What kind of affect do you think this had on the team though?

Cjeremy635
09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
What kind of affect do you think this had on the team though?

That would be interseting to know as well. It could go two ways:
1) The players realize that if they do not produce the results that the staff is demanding, they will be cut/traded away and not be here any longer. This could light the motivation fire that some players may need to excel (although a multi-million dollar contract should be enough)

2) They realize that the staff is trying out a bunch of different things to see what will be successful and what won't and the players become unhappy because there is no "constant" every week. They also have the fear that they could be traded to another team that they don't want to be at and would have to uproot their family's, etc. This could take their minds off the work related requirments, such as game planning and focussing on the upcoming opponent.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm for the Gado/Morency trade but this kinda caught me by surprise:

But Gado has struggled to adjust to the zone-blocking scheme being run by new Packers coach Mike McCarthy -- interesting to note since Kubiak employs a similar scheme.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2586476

I'm hoping it's just more poor researched reporting.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Another piece of bad news: GB messageboard reports Gado is a poor to average blocker, reminiscent of VM and WL

texan279
09-14-2006, 04:17 PM
Another piece of bad news: GB messageboard reports Gado is a poor to average blocker, reminiscent of VM and WL

I don't think I saw Morency miss one block in the preseason from what I remember.

real
09-14-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think I saw Morency miss one block in the preseason from what I remember.

What about the regular season ?

texan279
09-14-2006, 04:23 PM
What about the regular season ?

I didn't watch all of the game so I don't know, all I know is that Lundy whiffed on almost every block he tried to make in the preseason that I saw and 1 or 2 blocks last Sunday, that is what sticks out in my head when I think of Lundy.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
It was actually Morency who whiffed so badly on the block last Sunday, granted it was against a DL.

Morency looked good in the preseason, but coack K said he was having a lot of trouble in practice.

powerfuldragon
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
The Packers are giving up on the athletically gifted Samkon Gado because they feel they need someone who can take some of the load off starter Ahman Green. Because neither Gado nor backup Noah Herron is quick enough to excel as a pass catcher, Vernand Morency, should be able to take on some of the load on passing downs.
-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

pancho
09-14-2006, 06:58 PM
I've had this deja vu feeling for awhile but don't know the right way to verbalize it. I'm reminded of the run and shoot guys that were married to the system, had a point to prove. Sure a fullback or a tight end would be nice in certain situations but then it would'nt be pure run and shoot, it would contaminate the scheme. We are appearing to want to try and prove to the world we can have a successful running game with a 6th round pick and a undrafted free agent. It appears to be another scheme of egos. I really hope not.

Wolf
09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
since yesterday the thread was like the autobahn and honestly after 8 pages, I couldn't keep up with this..

I dont' know much about Gado except for stats.. guys at work hated the move.. they do the fantasy football thing and yes I know it is different,but all I heard about was Gato only had one game that was worth a flip and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

that is what they were talking about..

For me I haven't seen him play.. I almost feel that Kubiak is making a point of getting "HIS" guys in his system..

infantrycak
09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey,

im a big time packer fan and i live in wi. i have never missed a game and know just bout everything bout gado. I came on here tryin to find more out but the new guy just to see everybody droolin over gado.

I was a gado fan just cause he was the only bright spot last year. But truth be told he isnt as fast as his forty times, if he does get through the line he cant outrun anybody.

After proof of trolldom the rest of the post became worthless. The clip posted earlier in the thread shows Gado outrunning a DB. Odds are against this being a monumental trade for either team but ... oh nevermind ... continue on.

Houston_Fanatic
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, dabeene1 - you will get the whole gamut of opinions about Morency here from texan279 who is really upset we traded him and thought he wasn't given a fair chance to those that really don't think it was a big loss, but wish him well.

Morency has potential and perhaps he will be able to develop to his full potential in GB. Or he could remain a backup - time will tell.

gtexan02
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Morency is a quick, elusive, agile runner without good speed. That should sum it up to the GB fan

Grid
09-14-2006, 09:26 PM
honestly dabeene.. say what ya will about Gado.. I dont really care if the only rock he was capable of holding last season was Favre's superbowl ring while he took a shower.. fact of the matter is that Kubiak wanted Gado, and Kubiaks a smart guy.

Gado's performance last season is a nice bonus.. but the fact that Kubiak wanted him tells me alot more about Gado than whatever numbers you can dig up, or eyewitness accounts that the Green Bay fans can give.

Kubiak has been the mastermind behind a prolific running game for nigh on a decade, and if he says Gado can play.. ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

heh.. im gonna need vasoline and a crowbar to pry my lips from kubes butt after this post.

infantrycak
09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
It is true that gado was able to outrun a cb. But did you look who the cb is?

McQuarters, So fast and talented that he has played for 3 teams in 3 years.
He takes to many risks going for the int and is always out of postion which is why teams dont keep him.
He came running up and was out of postion. Gado didnt outrun him because he is so fast, he out ran him becuase he had a 5 yard or so head start and quarters couldnt make it up. Dont get me wrong he is fast as a average rb is, but he does not have elite speed.

At one point in the run McQ is almost even with him and then Gado pulls away. By no means is he the fastest back in the league but he is far faster than you make out with a statement like he will not outrun anyone. He does have better speed than many NFL RB's especially in comparison to interior RB's. Like I said, not likely to light up the league but a solid interior runner with the potential for some good open field runs.

Astonishment
09-15-2006, 08:35 AM
There seems to be allot of misconceptions here about Gato's game. If you don't mind I will try to give you a scouting report from a Packer's fan side. Hopefully someone could return the favor and do the same with Morency, because we seem to have the same misconception problem with someone calling Morency a scat back than he is a slower straight-line runner.

Overview:
Gato was definitely a bright spot on an otherwise dark season for the Packers last year. After Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport had season ending injuries the Packers were forced to turn to Favre to with offense, and the result was terrible (with an Eagle-type run to pass ratio)...until they played Gato. Part was an offensive line that improved throughout the year, part was the opposing teams focus shift to forcing Favre into mistakes, and part was Gato. In the end it is still in doubt how much was the first two factors and how much was Gato.

The part of Gato that is undisputable is that he is a great, great person and a really hard worker. However he was never a starter at any point in his short career until he filled in as the Packers 5th running back last season (yes 5 is correct - Green, Davenport, Fischer, and Lee were all tried before Gato). At some point there is a reason he has always been a backup.

Positives:
Gato is a very smart player, and as mentioned before a very hard worker. Once he gets into the open he has good, but not great open field speed. He won't pull away from many players, but he won't get caught from behind either. He is very patient and has a no-nonsense type approach to running. He won't do much dancing. Gato really accels by following his lead blocker especially on off-tackle and counter running plays. Gato will also play within the scheme - if the hole is supposed to be in gap "A", Gato will hit gap "A".

Negatives:
In spite of Gato's good open field speed, he has below average acceleration. As a defender if you want to stop Gato, just force him to make a cut. 1/2 the time he will go down by himself, the other half the time the blockers are already half way down the field by the time he gets out of the cut. All right that was an exaggeration, but his ability to make cuts is not pretty. It is true that Gato emulates Okoeye, but he will never push a pile like Okoeye did nor does he even fall forward like Dayne does. This isn't a knock on Gato's heart, but he rarely wins in trying to push for that extra inch. As good as he is off tackle he struggles on toss's and sweeps (because of his lack of cutting ability - if your blocking is good enough so he can round out into a turn he will do great), and dives and delays (because of he lack of acceleration and power - again give him some blocking and he is fine if he can get going). In the end the reason Gato is no longer a Packer is because his skill set is completely counter to a zone blocking running back. He waits to long to make his decisions, doesn't have the ability to make the quick cut required, and doesn't hit the hole the hole fast enough due to his patient style/lack of acceleration.

Conclusion:
Even though the negative section is longer, it doesn't mean Gato is a bad back in fact it is quite the opposite. He is a good player and a great teammate, but he shouldn't be a starter and in a perfect world is your 3rd string running back. In a man-on-man blocking style he can even be a good spot starter, but is terrible in the zone blocking scheme. If your coach uses him right he can be a productive player for you.

HJam72
09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Morency is fast in every way. Not Reggie Bush fast, of course, but he is fast. If he doesn't dance around too much and if he does a good job in pass protection, which he has done and then reverted back to not doing it, he will be good--maybe very good. He's also big enough, but not what you'd call a big back. I'm not happy about losing him at all, but I'll have to see how things go. I don't know about your RB situation in GB, but Morrency could be a starter. I believe he will be by next year, unless you've got somebody real special that I'm forgetting about.

Others will have more to say about Morrency.

real
09-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Morency is fast in every way. Not Reggie Bush fast, of course, but he is fast. If he doesn't dance around too much and if he does a good job in pass protection, which he has done and then reverted back to not doing it, he will be good--maybe very good. He's also big enough, but not what you'd call a big back. I'm not happy about losing him at all, but I'll have to see how things go. I don't know about your RB situation in GB, but Morrency could be a starter. I believe he will be by next year, unless you've got somebody real special that I'm forgetting about.

Others will have more to say about Morrency.

What about Amahn Green ?

HJam72
09-15-2006, 08:49 AM
What about Amahn Green ?

Beets me. :confused:

I knew I was probably forgetting somebody obvious. :)

HOU-TEX
09-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Beets me. :confused:

I knew I was probably forgetting somebody obvious. :)

Not to knock on the Pack, but thier line is worse off than ours is/was. They've got 2 or 3 rooks starting on the line this year. I don't think it matters who's in the backfield, they're going to get put on the ground quickly.:thud:

real
09-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Not to knock on the Pack, but thier line is worse off than ours is/was. They've got 2 or 3 rooks starting on the line this year. I don't think it matters who's in the backfield, they're going to get put on the ground quickly.:thud:

I think both starting gaurds, and their Center are new...Im not sure if they are all rookies though...but thats a good point....

HOU-TEX
09-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I think both starting gaurds, and their Center are new...Im not sure if they are all rookies though...but thats a good point....

According to thier DC, the 2 guards are rooks. The center is a 3 year.

http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/

Astonishment
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Both starting guards are rookies, but our center started half of last year.

Xman
09-15-2006, 10:55 AM
At least we are setting up a stable of cheap backups for the future. A true starter would be nice, but we can address that in the Draft or Free Agency.

Next years depth chart:

Adrian Peterson - stud RB or Free Agent Signing
Dayne - semi-cheap backup
Gado - cheap backup
Lundy - Cheap backup

michaelm
09-15-2006, 11:02 AM

Didn't Ahman Green bust a hundred yards last week? Against a very stout Bears defense...

HOU-TEX
09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Didn't Ahman Green bust a hundred yards last week? Against a very stout Bears defense...

By George! You're correct. I should've checked first.

http://www.packers.com/team/stats/2006/2006week1.pdf

There line is still bad though.

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
At least we are setting up a stable of cheap backups for the future. A true starter would be nice, but we can address that in the Draft or Free Agency.

Next years depth chart:

Adrian Peterson - stud RB or Free Agent Signing
Dayne - semi-cheap backup
Gado - cheap backup
Lundy - Cheap backup

Dayne, Gado, & Lundy can very well turn out to be starting quality studs before this is all over.

It's hard to remember, but people weren't always infatuated with Marshall Faulk, TikiBarber, and even Larry Johnson was being called a girl, and a baby by his coach.....

And who is Willie Parker again??

Astonishment
09-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Dayne, Gado, & Lundy can very well turn out to be starting quality studs before this is all over.

It's hard to remember, but people weren't always infatuated with Marshall Faulk, TikiBarber, and even Larry Johnson was being called a girl, and a baby by his coach.....

And who is Willie Parker again??
This is a very good point, the Packers also got Ahman Green for a corner who was out of the league the next year. Good running backs seem to be diamonds in the rough more than other positions - Thurman Thomas and Terrell Davis are a couple more examples.

Maddict5
09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
ive been away all week...and couldn't believe this story...ive supported kubiak with all his other decisions but ive got to say- i hate this 1

Divebomb
09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
ive been away all week...and couldn't believe this story...ive supported kubiak with all his other decisions but ive got to say- i hate this 1

Tell us, why do you hate this move? Is it because he(VM) played so well in the preseason or because he played like crap during week one?

Maddict5
09-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Tell us, why do you hate this move? Is it because he(VM) played so well in the preseason or because he played like crap during week one?

well there was a general consensus among this MB(including me) that he was our best overall RB- has speed, was doing what kubiak tells him-not dancing(also what kind of message is that to be sending out to other players-morency had done what he had been told but was still gotten rid of), could pass block...etc. just because we couldnt run last week-due to philly's d-line overpowering our o-line (not because he played 'crap') you shouldn't get rid of arguably your best RB because of it...it reeks of a desperation move despite kubiak saying the trade happened '5 minutes b4 the game':rolleyes:
gado, from what i saw of him last year, is honest but limited...hes not fast on film and his moves are limited...im trying to make sense of the move but i just dont see it...plus im down already from last weekend :crying: and my optimism is fading fast....to me it looks like vernand was let go instead of lundy because lundy was kubiak's pick and not because lundy was better than him and that stuff kinda makes me disillusioned and makes me wonder if kubiak is as great a coach as everybody says...........or maybe im just waaaaaay overreacting

texan279
09-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Yeah Lundy looked outstanding in week one...:sarcasm:

michaelm
09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
well there was a general consensus among this MB(including me) that he was our best overall RB- has speed, was doing what kubiak tells him-not dancing(also what kind of message is that to be sending out to other players-morency had done what he had been told but was still gotten rid of), could pass block...etc. just because we couldnt run last week-due to philly's d-line overpowering our o-line (not because he played 'crap') you shouldn't get rid of arguably your best RB because of it...it reeks of a desperation move despite kubiak saying the trade happened '5 minutes b4 the game':rolleyes:
gado, from what i saw of him last year, is honest but limited...hes not fast on film and his moves are limited...im trying to make sense of the move but i just dont see it...plus im down already from last weekend :crying: and my optimism is fading fast....to me it looks like vernand was let go instead of lundy because lundy was kubiak's pick and not because lundy was better than him and that stuff kinda makes me disillusioned and makes me wonder if kubiak is as great a coach as everybody says...........or maybe im just waaaaaay overreacting

Couple of points.

1. Do you really think the coaching staff said "Damn, we couldn't run against the Eagles, let's trade Morency!" ?
Come on, man. Give them more credit than that. They didn't base this move on just whatever limited action Morency had in one game... your post reeks of over reaction.

2. Morency may well have been our best back ( I thought so), but that doesn't mean that:
A) he was very good at all
or
B) Gado isn't better.

3. Maybe out of the two of them, the Texans would have preferred to trade Lundy, but GB didn't want him, who knows.

And one last thing. What the hell has Kubiak ever done or said to make you doubt that he's telling the truth about when the trade happened. Because you don't approve of the trade?

It's pretty easy to call someone that you've never met a liar from behind a computer monitor I guess.

*edit* Yes, I do believe you are waaaaay over reacting. But you can take solice in the fact that you're far from alone.

:logo:

Maddict5
09-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Couple of points.

1. Do you really think the coaching staff said "Damn, we couldn't run against the Eagles, let's trade Morency!" ?
Come on, man. Give them more credit than that. They didn't base this move on just whatever limited action Morency had in one game... your post reeks of over reaction.

2. Morency may well have been our best back ( I thought so), but that doesn't mean that:
A) he was very good at all
or
B) Gado isn't better.

3. Maybe out of the two of them, the Texans would have preferred to trade Lundy, but GB didn't want him, who knows.

And one last thing. What the hell has Kubiak ever done or said to make you doubt that he's telling the truth about when the trade happened. Because you don't approve of the trade?

It's pretty easy to call someone that you've never met a liar from behind a computer monitor I guess.

*edit* Yes, I do believe you are waaaaay over reacting. But you can take solice in the fact that you're far from alone.

a few replies:

obviously i dont think their convo went like you said but i think maybe they felt like they had to do something to change it and chose to get rid of morency because he wasn't theirs....and lundy was which is why your no. 3 wasnt considered

to me..morency is a shiftier, faster rb than gado so to me he is a better rb..moreso when its reported that gado wasnt thriving in the ZBS

and sorry..but i think in the run up to his 1st ever competitive game kubiak's focus would be on philly and not on a trade...

put it like this- if kubiak is telling the truth ie-he was traded b4 the philly game...why was he played at all(i know it was limited carries but still)...wouldn't that be putting himself in a very awkward situation- what would he do if morency broke another long td run....sorry if you've unwaivering faith in him but i dont buy it at all

Grid
09-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Gado is faster and bigger than Morency. Morency is.. "technically"..more shifty. I say technically because he IS more shifty when he doesnt trip over a blade of grass and eat turf..which was about 50% of the time.

michaelm
09-15-2006, 09:12 PM
a few replies:
obviously i dont think their convo went like you said but i think maybe they felt like they had to do something to change it and chose to get rid of morency because he wasn't theirs....and lundy was which is why your no. 3 wasn't considered You're just speculating, and I'd be speculating if I said that I knew you were wrong, but it seems pretty obvious which RB they thought was better by virtue of the depth chart that they established.

to me..morency is a shiftier, faster rb than gado so to me he is a better rb..moreso when its reported that gado wasnt thriving in the ZBSI heard the thing about the ZBS too, but I heard today on 610 that Sherman said that we use (at times)the same blocking scheme that was used on Gado's 65yd TD last year.

and sorry..but i think in the run up to his 1st ever competitive game kubiak's focus would be on philly and not on a trade...I agree that his focus would be on the game, but teams make roster moves and trades all the time between games. He may have given his approval of the trade hours or even days in advance of the trade being finalized. Once he gave his go ahead, the rest of the deal would have been taken care of by Rick Smith. It's not like GK was on his cell phone with the Packers in the locker room while he was giving his pregame speech...

put it like this- if kubiak is telling the truth ie-he was traded b4 the philly game...why was he played at all(i know it was limited carries but still)...wouldn't that be putting himself in a very awkward situation- what would he do if morency broke another long td run....sorry if you've unwaivering faith in him but i dont buy it at all I agree with you here, but there weren't really a bunch of better options on the bench, plus, as you said, he was trying to win the game, not trying to avoid the potential of looking bad if Morency broke a run. Also, I don't know if I'd say I have unwavering faith in him, but he has been way more straight forward and truthful than just about any coach I have ever seen, and I can't think of any good reason for him to lie about this.

Divebomb
09-15-2006, 11:12 PM
I think in the preseason Morency looked great, I do not practice with the team and I am not aware of what plays have been called and how he graded out. What if he had those great runs but had three or four screw ups. We do not know the inside story if their is one. Maybe Sherman feels that Gado is the style of back we need, he is the assistant head coach!!! I do know Kubiak seemed really excited after practice. I guess we will see!

Maddict5
09-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Gado is faster and bigger than Morency. Morency is.. "technically"..more shifty. I say technically because he IS more shifty when he doesnt trip over a blade of grass and eat turf..which was about 50% of the time.

whatever..i love the way players go from good to bad when they leave the texans

and michaelm i know im probably getting too down about this...and you make some decent points but lets just agree to disagree...i think we got a raw deal though

michaelm
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
...but lets just agree to disagree...i think we got a raw deal though

I can get with that. As always, time will tell all.
I'm sure you're like I am, and hope that Gado will prove your concerns to be unfounded...Maybe we'll talk about it again later in the season and Gado will have grown on you..
Cheers.

Texican
09-16-2006, 09:10 AM
from what I hear it wasnt that VM couldnt play is that he had a attitude problem and the new coaching staff did not like that
I have talked to him before and you can tell he has some problems just by the way he carries himself

GP
09-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Is it possible that Gado is a little bit more gritty and hard-nosed than Morency?

Could it be that Kubiak and Sherman feel that we need Domanick Davis' running style, which is less finesse (as we see in Morency) and more bulldog (like we saw in Domanick)?

I think this could be good thing.

Grid
09-16-2006, 10:22 AM
whatever..i love the way players go from good to bad when they leave the texans

and michaelm i know im probably getting too down about this...and you make some decent points but lets just agree to disagree...i think we got a raw deal though

:ok:

Ive been chastising Morency for his tripping for 2 years.. so youre barkin up the wrong tree chief.

PapaL
09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Well I must say I am excited to see our stable of RBs this week, regardless of who is on the actual roster come sunday. Pretty sure we'll see Jane - I mean Dayne in on Bronco formations, Gado in on Packer formations, and Lundy running in and out all game long. Don't care who is successful as long as we do well. (Thats my positive thought of the day)

Maddict5
09-16-2006, 11:18 AM
:ok:
Ive been chastising Morency for his tripping for 2 years.. so youre barkin up the wrong tree chief.

:rolleyes:i spent, literally, 5 minutes searching

3 weeks ago-

Morency won me over in this game. I liked the physical way he played, i liked his speed, i liked how fast he hit the hole, and of course I liked his pass blocking.

Morency = 15 Carries a game
Lundy = 8-10 Carries a game

:tease:

and to whoever said it-gado doesnt have homerun speed- more like DD speed...look at any film from last year..im not saying hes useless but dont make stuff up
basically thats what ive said in my last few posts-he was getting it and was our best rb.....

Grid
09-16-2006, 11:42 AM
The reason you didnt find anything is because I said the last two years, not the last 6 months. The forums only go back to this years draft.

I, like everyone else, liked what I saw out of Morency this offseason. But im not such a fool that I think we cant do without him. And im not so ignorant that I think he was invaluable to the team.

look at any film from last year.

Quit talking out your ***.. I suppose you sit back on the weekends and watch film of Green Bay? :shoot:

Why am I defending myself? Unless you are blind or stupid, you know that Morency had an issue staying on his feet.

Maddict5
09-16-2006, 12:15 PM
The reason you didnt find anything is because I said the last two years, not the last 6 months. The forums only go back to this years draft.

I, like everyone else, liked what I saw out of Morency this offseason. But im not such a fool that I think we cant do without him. And im not so ignorant that I think he was invaluable to the team.

Quit talking out your ***.. I suppose you sit back on the weekends and watch film of Green Bay? :shoot:

Why am I defending myself? Unless you are blind or stupid, you know that Morency had an issue staying on his feet.

firstly-dont worry i didnt do an in-depth search or anything so there could be stuff there giving out about morency but i knew you- like everybody else- was impressed with him the last month...and then to just write him off because he used to trip up times in the capers era was stupid- a bit like saying 'when will the giants get rid of Tiki Barber and his pesky fumbling problems' last year..

yes morency HAD some problems staying on his feet during Dom's years but kubiak told him to change how he was running and stop dancing-which he did..and he didnt have those problems then in what we saw of him...and looked like he was thriving inthe new system

i dont think morency is invaluable- he was our best rb though (on a team that doesnt have much in that position) so im questioning why they got rid of them...and i cant find an answer yet - if he was old or injury prone id understand

and no, surprisingly enough, i dont study GB games every weekend..however i saw 2 of their games live last year and all their highlights.. and since gado was a bit of a story last year, id notice him more than normal..and you could see Gado isnt fast- hes adequate and thats about it..and im guessing he hasnt turned into a speedster in 9 months...he wasnt very shifty either although i did see him do a nice spin move 1 week(highlights) v SD i think

Grid
09-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Everything ive heard about Gado is that he has good speed. Good enough to run it in for a touchdown from 30-40 yards out.

I still saw Morency trip this offseason..though only a couple times. He was running well enough that it wasnt a huge problem..but he STILL had the issue.

As for Morency being the best RB on our team.. I think people here have done a pretty good job of breaking down just WHEN Morency played, and who he was playing against (2nd stringers)..though I agree he looked as good as Lundy most of the time..and better some of the time. As to "getting rid of our best RB".. well... at one point Matt Stevens was our best FS.. just cause he was the best one we had, that didnt make him good. Thats an extreme example but the point is the same. Id rather take a chance to get a great player, than take the safe road and keep our average one.

TEXANRED
09-16-2006, 01:30 PM

Morency reminded me of Allen Pinkett

Maddict5
09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Everything ive heard about Gado is that he has good speed. Good enough to run it in for a touchdown from 30-40 yards out.

I still saw Morency trip this offseason..though only a couple times. He was running well enough that it wasnt a huge problem..but he STILL had the issue.

As for Morency being the best RB on our team.. I think people here have done a pretty good job of breaking down just WHEN Morency played, and who he was playing against (2nd stringers)..though I agree he looked as good as Lundy most of the time..and better some of the time. As to "getting rid of our best RB".. well... at one point Matt Stevens was our best FS.. just cause he was the best one we had, that didnt make him good. Thats an extreme example but the point is the same. Id rather take a chance to get a great player, than take the safe road and keep our average one.

like i said adequate speed..ie theres no slow rb in the nfl..hes not a breakaway runner in my mind though..

referring to the last line of your post(i agree), i can say with reasonable certainty, from what ive seen, that morency has the better physical attributes to be a good/great rb....which is why im so confused/ down about this trade

as to his tripping...well we can say he's vastly improved that in the short time kubiak was here...and likely would've/will get better still...also if morency was our best rb then he should've been kept no matter what that says about our rb group...

hopefully gado will surprise me and be much better but right now id bet against it

texan279
09-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Well I didn't get to see the game today, how did Gado and Dayne look?

Frills
09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Gado > Morency

Other than 1 dropped pass he looked good

O.G.
09-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Gado > Morency

Other than 1 dropped pass he looked good

Gato to me looked faster than our other backs when he hit the crease. I think he will be the starter by the time we get to the Dallas game.

AggieTexanFan
10-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Vernand had a decent game, 26 car. 99 yards

These numbers would have been the best for a Texan thus far

Does anyone think that the Gado trade was a bad deal?

real
10-03-2006, 05:13 PM

I trusted Kubes at the time...But right about now Im wishing I had a lil Morency in my life...

AggieTexanFan
10-03-2006, 05:15 PM
true that, especially with Wali being on the inactive list

I thought he was traded b/c they had silmilar running styles and we needed a bruser, now we have none that fit Morncy's style of running

kingh99
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM

This doesn't surprise me. Remember how he came out a ball of fire when he finally got his turn in game 2. If he maintains his enthusiasm and production after his first week indignation/chip on shoulder then I will be surprised.

ccdude730
10-03-2006, 05:20 PM
like in the other thread, i believe that we are having problems with the run blocking - i doubt morency would be able to produce behind this line right now.

real
10-03-2006, 05:22 PM
like in the other thread, i believe that we are having problems with the run blocking - i doubt morency would be able to produce behind this line right now.

Well Greenbay has three new interior lineman...GCG....and the two gaurds are rookies...They played the same philly D we played minus Kearse....That my friend..is debatable....

NJTexanFan
10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I guess that you also forgot to mention that last night he had a fumble and tipped a pass intended to him which resulted in a touchdown

hollywood_texan
10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe Morency couldn't have produced those same number for the Texans.

But it seems Green Bay got the better end of the deal thus far. They played him a lot even though he did make a few mistakes.

Has Gato played that much to even make mistakes?

texan279
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM

I said it was a horrible trade the day it happened and after last night I think it's probably Kubiak's worst move to date.

gtexan02
10-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Um, Morency played the exact same D, and did much worse with us. Clearly he has either
A) received better coaching
B) responded to the trade he didn't like
C) GB has a better OL

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 07:26 PM

before we can even begin to compare, we have to get a game where we can give a runningback 26 carries.....

Well Greenbay has three new interior lineman...GCG....and the two gaurds are rookies...They played the same philly D we played minus Kearse....That my friend..is debatable....

Wasn't Morency on our team when we played Philly?? How'd that go??

Um, Morency played the exact same D, and did much worse with us. Clearly he has either
C) GB has a better OL

Or when people play greenbay, they don't plan for the running game......

texan279
10-03-2006, 07:31 PM
before we can even begin to compare, we have to get a game where we can give a runningback 26 carries.....

Wasn't Morency on our team when we played Philly?? How'd that go??

Or when people play greenbay, they don't plan for the running game......

Dayne and Gado combined for 28 carries against Miami and racked up a total of 67 yards.

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Dayne and Gado combined for 28 carries against Miami and racked up a total of 67 yards.

ahh...... my bad... what about the rest of my post??

texan279
10-03-2006, 07:39 PM
ahh...... my bad... what about the rest of my post??

Morency had 5 carries against Philly for 13 yards. As far as teams not planning for the run when playing Green Bay I doubt that, especially when Ahman Green is healthy.

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Morency had 5 carries against Philly for 13 yards. As far as teams not planning for the run when playing Green Bay I doubt that, especially when Ahman Green is healthy.

But Ahman Green wasn't healthy..... that's the only reason Vernand got 28 carries(or what ever). & while most teams don't ignore the running game, they usually focus on #4.

Vinny
10-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Green Bay has a crap O line....one of the many reasons they are struggling.

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Pass blocking & run blocking are two totally different things.:ok:

GP
10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
C) GB has a better OL

Man, that was garbage time when he had very easy running lanes to exploit. He had one, maybe two 10-yd. runs in garbage time which looked nice, but he wasn't exactly creating anything for himself to justify us keeping him for what we had initially thought was going to be game-breaking ability.

I think Philly was in a don't-get-hurt mode when you're up 326-9. Why waste the energy and risk potential injury to tackle a minor league baseball player who is trying to impersonate an NFL RB?

Morency fumbled the ball (shocker) and he still danced too much instead of trying to find the right lane to exlpoit. I watched closely, and there were times when he couldn't get his feet underneath him in enough time to make the cut...same thing he did with us...and he fell down or allowed the defense to react and catch him before he could really bust a big run.

I truly rooted for him on MNF, even though my comments above may seem to prove otherwise, but after a few plays on MNF...I saw why we traded him.

texan279
10-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Man, that was garbage time when he had very easy running lanes to exploit. He had one, maybe two 10-yd. runs in garbage time which looked nice, but he wasn't exactly creating anything for himself to justify us keeping him for what we had initially thought was going to be game-breaking ability.

I think Philly was in a don't-get-hurt mode when you're up 326-9. Why waste the energy and risk potential injury to tackle a minor league baseball player who is trying to impersonate an NFL RB?

Morency fumbled the ball (shocker) and he still danced too much instead of trying to find the right lane to exlpoit. I watched closely, and there were times when he couldn't get his feet underneath him in enough time to make the cut...same thing he did with us...and he fell down or allowed the defense to react and catch him before he could really bust a big run.

I truly rooted for him on MNF, even though my comments above may seem to prove otherwise, but after a few plays on MNF...I saw why we traded him.

Either you watched a different game or didn't watch the entire game. Morency looked better last night than anything I have seen from our running game and he also made a few catches out of the backfield as well, one I remember was a nice over the shoulder one handed catch IIRC.

Vinny
10-03-2006, 10:51 PM

wtf? No kidding Einstein.....that really wasn't what I was talking about...this board is really kind of dysfunctional lately. All this topic shifting stuff is just goofy.

:challenge

texan279
10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
wtf? No kidding Einstein.....that really wasn't what I was talking about...this board is really kind of dysfunctional lately. I can't take it

LOL I was thinking the same thing, I am literally speechless...

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 10:56 PM
wtf? No kidding Einstein.....that really wasn't what I was talking about...this board is really kind of dysfunctional lately. All this topic shifting stuff is just goofy.

cool your jets hotrod......... I was being sarcastic..... that was the kind of crap I always got when I'd point to DD's ability to produce behind a line DavidCarr couldn't.

Vinny
10-03-2006, 10:57 PM
so what does that have to do with the Packers losing their quality linemen and having to go with lesser players?

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 11:00 PM
LOL I was thinking the same thing, I am literally speechless...

& what do you mean?? this falls right in line to what you've been saying. You are one of the guys who has been "schooling" me on the difference between run blocking & pass blocking.

You're going on about how Vernand had one good day in Greenbay, against a team he couldn't stay on his feet against here in Houston.

Someone says they have a better OLine, Vinny says they have a crap Oline, I use your runblocking line,

& I'm changing the subject?? WTF is right.

thunderkyss
10-03-2006, 11:06 PM
C) GB has a better OL

I think we all know the answer is C.

so what does that have to do with the Packers losing their quality linemen and having to go with lesser players?

When did we start talking about the Packers attrition?? this whole thread is about Morency & Gado...... most recently about the production Morency was able to get in GreenBay vs his production here against the same team only three weeks apart.

texan279
10-03-2006, 11:06 PM
& what do you mean?? this falls right in line to what you've been saying. You are one of the guys who has been "schooling" me on the difference between run blocking & pass blocking.

You're going on about how Vernand had one good day in Greenbay, against a team he couldn't stay on his feet against here in Houston.

Someone says they have a better OLine, Vinny says they have a crap Oline, I use your runblocking line,

& I'm changing the subject?? WTF is right.

Chill. I haven't tried to school anyone on anything. For whatever reason Morency had a decent game against Philly behind a worse offensive line in Green Bay than ours. He only had 5 carries against Philly with us. People who make sarcastic remarks should use the sarcasm smiley, it's hard to detect sarcasm from a general statement on a messageboard.

Vinny
10-03-2006, 11:11 PM
When did we start talking about the Packers attrition?? this whole thread is about Morency & Gado...... most recently about the production Morency was able to get in GreenBay vs his production here against the same team only three weeks apart.Morency and his production has something to do with his blocking. Just like any other back. Please....just pretend I didn't start talking to you....I can't take exchanging posts with you sometimes. I have to check myself...I get too frustrated.

Blake
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
To be honest, I dont know how Morency didnt stay on this team. I know he wanted another pounder to go with his "smallish" backs.

Maybe he is looking into next year with a healthy DomDavis. That would give him...

Domanick Davis
Wali Lundy
Ron Dayne
Samkon Gado

Goldeagle
10-03-2006, 11:14 PM
I said it then, and I WILL SAY IT NOW!

HORRIBLE TRADE! We now have 3 Running backs that are basically the same and you TRADE AWAY YOUR GUY WITH THE BURST OF SPEED?

BTW I was at the Redskins game, Gado is FREAKING fat (looked like me in pads and that is not good).

Vinny
10-03-2006, 11:14 PM
To be honest, I dont know how Morency didnt stay on this team. I know he wanted another pounder to go with his "smallish" backs.

Maybe he is looking into next year with a healthy DomDavis. That would give him...

Domanick Davis
Wali Lundy
Ron Dayne
Samkon Gadono team can rely on a "healthy Dom Davis"....he has never been healthy and he has gotten worse each year. I'd be SHOCKED if we didn't address the RB in FA or the draft.

LORK 88
10-03-2006, 11:22 PM
no team can rely on a "healthy Dom Davis"....he has never been healthy and he has gotten worse each year. I'd be SHOCKED if we didn't address the RB in FA or the draft.
Michael "the burner" Turner is a FA this year . . .

infantrycak
10-03-2006, 11:24 PM

He will be an RFA and they will likely tender him at the high level which carries a 1st and 3rd compensation. Something less might be worked out but it won't be cheap.

texan279
10-03-2006, 11:25 PM

Well we signed Dayne and traded for Gado, I am scared to see who is next. I'd like to see Chris Taylor get a chance. I can't figure out why we are only carrying 2 active RB's on the roster right now.

LORK 88
10-03-2006, 11:31 PM
He will be an RFA and they will likely tender him at the high level which carries a 1st and 3rd compensation. Something less might be worked out but it won't be cheap.
Nevermind the idea then, thats too costly. I just want someone other than Ron Dayne, it kills me seeing him just run straight into the pile lunging forward. Gado is a hardworker and looks real good in pass pro, just needs time. I say we draft someone day 1 if we cant get Turner or theres no better option at RB. Possibly Ahman Green? Just throwing ideas out there . . .

wags
10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I can't figure out why we are only carrying 2 active RB's on the roster right now.

Our #3 guy is collecting his welfare check and the line is wicked long. He should be through the line by week 7.

texan279
10-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Nevermind the idea then, thats too costly. I just want someone other than Ron Dayne, it kills me seeing him just run straight into the pile lunging forward. Gado is a hardworker and looks real good in pass pro, just needs time. I say we draft someone day 1 if we cant get Turner or theres no better option at RB. Possibly Ahman Green? Just throwing ideas out there . . .

Yeah RB and DB should be our top priority right now and in the near future. I'm not getting my hopes up on Davis returning and even if he does, he won't be able to carry the load.

Frills
10-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Davis is done. Won't play till knee feels better, knee won't ever feel like it used to, refuses to have it worked on again.

GB cut a 1st round DB today. We'll be better when Faggins gets back, but I'm more concerned about Brown than the CB's

TexansSeminole
10-05-2006, 01:30 AM
If Morency blows up in GB I'm gonna be ill.

100 yards last week.

Malloy
10-05-2006, 04:08 AM
no team can rely on a "healthy Dom Davis"....he has never been healthy and he has gotten worse each year. I'd be SHOCKED if we didn't address the RB in FA or the draft.

I'll hate it if I'm right, but I think DD is gone from the NFL next season :(

Early traft or expensive FA pickup... or our other current RB's might pick it up and deliver the goods.

real
10-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Yes, but it is still better than the Texans's O line. That is why I said C. I wasn't indicating that Green Bay has a "good" O line, only that it is better than Houston's.

Thats arguable...They have two rookies starting at gaurd...and a second year center I believe...1st year starting for all three...

real
10-06-2006, 09:12 AM
How many Sacks or QB pressures or negative rushes has the GB O-line given up this year? Is it more or less than the Houston O-line has given up?

That is totally irrelevant...Im not going to even look that up.....Once again...Stats don't tell the whole story....If you want to beleive that 2 rookies, and a second yr center are better than what we have ....go ahead....

Jim Nayzium
10-06-2006, 09:32 AM
First of all, there is no way Morency is Faster than Gado...

For those of you who missed the Detroit game last year, Gado's 64 yard td run where he outran the two safeties that had the angle pretty much proved his legit 4.3.

Morency may have more shake and bake than Gado, but not more speed.

The line play has been incredibly terrible every time Gado has gotten the slightest chance of a touch.

Again, mark my words....you guys will be singing Gado's praises before this is over. The same progression happened last year in Green Bay....every one hated him at first, then when he got into some rhythm and got some carries he was golden.

And don't tell me he got his chance vs. Miami. He played the second series, which ended abruptly with the weird turnover/strip play, and on his second, the team's fourth series...they went incomplete, incomplete, third and long....

Gado scores on the long run by dayne that got called back for holding...

Again, bookmark this thread....and when Gado rushes for 150 yards vs either Dallas or Tennessee come back and post comments here.

rafterticket
10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
];461810']I am i'll! Kubes has his vision of a RB. Capers and Kubes did not think Morency had what it takes.

I always thought Morency had average vision, but tremendous burst.

I hope the guy does well in Green Bay. If he wasn't what Kubiak wanted, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope his idea of a running back shows up very soon.

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
10-06-2006, 04:29 PM
The Texans should have a decent shot at drafting Kenny Irons out of Auburn. Domanick Davis is finished.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2006, 05:35 PM
First of all, there is no way Morency is Faster than Gado...

For those of you who missed the Detroit game last year, Gado's 64 yard td run where he outran the two safeties that had the angle pretty much proved his legit 4.3.

Morency may have more shake and bake than Gado, but not more speed.

The line play has been incredibly terrible every time Gado has gotten the slightest chance of a touch.

Again, mark my words....you guys will be singing Gado's praises before this is over. The same progression happened last year in Green Bay....every one hated him at first, then when he got into some rhythm and got some carries he was golden.

And don't tell me he got his chance vs. Miami. He played the second series, which ended abruptly with the weird turnover/strip play, and on his second, the team's fourth series...they went incomplete, incomplete, third and long....

Gado scores on the long run by dayne that got called back for holding...

Again, bookmark this thread....and when Gado rushes for 150 yards vs either Dallas or Tennessee come back and post comments here.

The difference in Morency's speed and Gado's speed is a small fraction......Morency also makes people miss, that is way more important than a hair of a 40 time. Making people miss is the name of the game for runningbacks. Walter Payton wasn't that big and he wasn't very fast, he made people miss, ran hard and went on to set a record that no one though would be broken. E. Smith wasn't that big and he didn't have world class speed, but he made people miss and went on to break that unbreakable record. 40 times are the most overrated measurable in sports.

Running the ball is about elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

Morency has more elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

DD had those qualities, thats the reason why he was so successful here, especially for a 4th rounder.

thunderkyss
10-06-2006, 06:01 PM
The difference in Morency's speed and Gado's speed is a small fraction......Morency also makes people miss, that is way more important than a hair of a 40 time. Making people miss is the name of the game for runningbacks. Walter Payton wasn't that big and he wasn't very fast, he made people miss, ran hard and went on to set a record that no one though would be broken. E. Smith wasn't that big and he didn't have world class speed, but he made people miss and went on to break that unbreakable record. 40 times are the most overrated measurable in sports.

Running the ball is about elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

Morency has more elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

DD had those qualities, thats the reason why he was so successful here, especially for a 4th rounder.

There are actually several kinds of runningbacks..... depending on your system, & personnell, those other kinds may prove to be more productive. There was some guy named JohnRiggins(I believe) who wasn't very elusive, but broke records set by GayleSayers.

We also have a brutish type back who breaks tackles that morency would have to avoid, or succomb to. He also holds the career NCAAF rushing record.

Carr Bombed
10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
There are actually several kinds of runningbacks..... depending on your system, & personnell, those other kinds may prove to be more productive. There was some guy named JohnRiggins(I believe) who wasn't very elusive, but broke records set by GayleSayers.

We also have a brutish type back who breaks tackles that morency would have to avoid, or succomb to. He also holds the career NCAAF rushing record.

Riggins was a powerback. He ran over people. Gibbs loved him because he forced the oppisition to stack the box, then he was able to run his smurfs all over the field.

I don't see anybody on our team running people over right now.

I like Gado and hope he does well, he's a Texan now, I just don't buy into the theory that just because he has more top end speed than Morency that he's the better back.

Jim Nayzium
10-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Go to www.packers.com and watch the highlights from the oh-so talked about 100 yard game and watch for the highlights of Morency. You'll see only one play that made the highlight reel....a fumble inside his own five.

I am telling you...based on last year's performances for the Packers, NOT, 40 times, Gado has proven he is a bona-fide every down back in the NFL.

And its not all about elusiveness. The way the eagles and falcons ration their carries to their 'elusive' 180-pound tailbacks is really the reason they keep coming up short in the playoffs.

The NFL running back is more about what you do with your 19th carry through your 27th carry. IF a team is good enough in the box to warrant you getting 20 carries....what kind of physical shape is your body in to deliver the type of performance you delivered in the first quarter?

That is where Gado will shine. There is not a player in the NFL in better physical shape than this kid. His first real game for the Pack he had 26 carries versus the Steelers and got physically pounded. He got better as the game wore on.

The DB's don't want to tackle this guy. Try and find the eagles highlights from last year's game versus the packers...and watch Dawkins (all-pro Dawkins) dive at his feet ... No one wants to tackle the guy once he has a head of steam.

The difference between Dayne and Gado is they both instill fear in the would be tackler, but Dayne seeks out that tackler and tries to run him over...Gado just outruns him and if he gets in the way he makes him pay.

Seriously, before you act like Morency is the better back you need to see film on last year's Falcon, Lions, Steelers, and Eagles games.

Who had the most rushing yards versus the steelers last year in a single game???

GADO~!

Jim Nayzium
10-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Noah Herron comes off the bench today for the Packers and rushes for 100 yards. Evidently, the Packers didn't feel like Morency's fumble in the first quarter was something they were willing to tolerate...and actually they were.

It was his second fumble in the half that got him benched.

That's 25 carries - 3 fumbles???

Wolf
10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Morency has one and favre has one fumble according to NFL.com

Yahoo just showed 2 fumbes but only showed Morency in the stats.

I didn't know Morency was fumble prone coming out of college, but that is not a good thing

real
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
More hindsight fun.

TexansSeminole
10-23-2007, 04:56 PM

18 carries and I havent seen anything golden or any type of rhythm at all.

Glad Gado was released today.

Kaiser Toro
10-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Gado made a living off of one MNF game with Green Bay. I am glad he is gone because I was tired of Waiting for Gado.

I just threw up in my mouth after reading this thread.

Maddict5
10-24-2007, 12:03 PM

gado, from what i saw of him last year, is honest but limited...hes not fast on film and his moves are limited...im trying to make sense of the move but i just dont see it...plus im down already from last weekend :crying: and my optimism is fading fast....

hated it then, hated it now

Maddict5
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
i wonder what will become of samkonfan and his crazy garuntees though :)

PapaL
10-24-2007, 12:09 PM
i wonder what will become of samkonfan and his crazy garuntees though :)

Follow Hulk's lead right out the door.

Maddict5
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29571

Samkon Gado has a big run in the first half early, gets most of the reps and rushes for over a 100 yards. He is still raw but a better upside to him than Dayne. Gado has the power and speed that Houston needs to be an every down back

btw he finished with 4 carries for 5 yards... must've been saving that power and speed for later :)

disaacks3
10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Gado made a living off of one MNF game with Green Bay. I am glad he is gone because I was tired of Waiting for Gado.

I just threw up in my mouth after reading this thread. Is that the football version of Waiting for Godot? :tomato: