PDA

View Full Version : Have we improved from last year? Read here:

gtexan02
09-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I know its way way way too early to do this, but I thought I'd post comparisons from game 1 of this year to game 1 of last year and finally to our averages from last year so we can see if we've improved.

PLEASE do not tell me I'm crazy to do this after 1 game. I realize this. But this is all the data we have to work with, and I love Texans football, can't stop thinking about it, and thus will do it anyways.

Game 1 2006---Game 1 2005---2005 Average

Offense:
Total Net Yards: 241---120---253
Pass Yards: 208---70---139
Rush Yards: 70---95---113
3rd down conversion%: 27%---21%----34%
Turnovers: 0---5---1.375

Defense:
Total Net Yards: 441---316---364
Pass Yards: 311---170---220
Rush Yards: 130---152---143.9
3rd down conversion%: 61.5%---22%---38.3%
Turnovers: 1---0---0.93

So before I checked the stats, I was sure we had improved. But if you substract that 1st drive, we looked just like the Texans of 2005. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, because I know its going to take time. And its great promise that we showed so much signs of life. PLUS this was the EAGLES not the BILLS so that makes a huge difference. Anyway, luckily all our games won't be against the Eagles. Go Texans!

texan279
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Miracles do not happen overnight. We've got a new coaching staff and a lot of guys starting this year did not start last season. We looked good preseason but it was preseason. I do not expect to see any huge improvement over last season until the middle of the season. Any real improvement before that to me would just be a nice surprise.

Double Barrel
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
But if you substract that 1st drive, we looked just like the Texans of 2005.

Unfortunately, in oh so many ways. 5 sacks being one of them.

Anyway, luckily all our games won't be against the Eagles.

Yeah, they'll be against the Colts, Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys and Jaguars the next few games...all teams with winning records last year and expectations of playoff appearances this year.

Nice stat compilation, though. It is interesting to compare between last year, just for sake of discussion.

gtexan02
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Ah ha! This was the thread I was looking for:
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=27569&highlight=improve

I think the reason so many of us were depressed at the end of the game was because our preseason showed so much improvement, yet as you can see by the numbers, our regular season seemed to die out again. The thread shows our preseason stats in a great way

gtexan02
09-13-2006, 12:09 PM
we were top 10 preaseason, bottom 10 regular. :(

Texans Horror
09-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Ignore whatever you see in the preseason. - Phil Simms

Take away the good drive and yes, Houston looks a lot like last year's team. But in defense of the Texans, last year's team didn't have that drive. This year's team did. That's an improvement, however scant.

We haven't turned the corner, but I can see the turn somewhere up ahead.

Dread-Head
09-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Defenitely...but they need to light a fire under that defense. a defenses job is to intimidate, crunch bones and scare the opponets to the point where they question their own game plan. The Texans aren't doing that yet, and if this is EVER going to be a winning team they're going to have to.

DH

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Ignore whatever you see in the preseason. - Phil Simms

Take away the good drive and yes, Houston looks a lot like last year's team. But in defense of the Texans, last year's team didn't have that drive. This year's team did. That's an improvement, however scant.

We haven't turned the corner, but I can see the turn somewhere up ahead.

Didn't they say the Eagles outscored their opponents by 171 in the first Quarter??

That didn't happen Sunday.... so we still have some good stuff to build on. We've got some things to work on, and they aren't that big a deal. Now that our front seven is better against the run than we were last year(we are), our DBs can be told to lay off the playfake.... & we won't have the Debacle we had Sunday.

Insideop
09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Defenitely...but they need to light a fire under that defense. a defenses job is to intimidate, crunch bones and scare the opponets to the point where they question their own game plan. The Texans aren't doing that yet, and if this is EVER going to be a winning team they're going to have to.

DH

Welcome to the board DH!

While I agree with you that I would like to see an intimidating, bone-crunching defense, like the Steelers had back when they had Jack Ham and "Mean Joe Green," we have to remember this defense is very young and it's going to take time to mold them into that type of defense. I think Payne (10 yrs) may be the oldest player for the starting defense, and after that I think it's Lewis Sanders (7 yrs) and Greenwood (6 yrs) with most of the remaining starters being at 3 yrs or less. What I hope to see is steady improvement throughout the year for both offense and defense so that by midseason they are all playing well as a team and start winning consistantly. I don't know if that intimidating style of defense, that both you and I would like to see, will come this year, but it sure would be nice if it did! JMHO!

gjmac2
09-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I know its way way way too early to do this, but I thought I'd post comparisons from game 1 of this year to game 1 of last year and finally to our averages from last year so we can see if we've improved.

PLEASE do not tell me I'm crazy to do this after 1 game. I realize this. But this is all the data we have to work with, and I love Texans football, can't stop thinking about it, and thus will do it anyways.

Game 1 2006---Game 1 2005---2005 Average

Offense:
Total Net Yards: 241---120---253
Pass Yards: 208---70---139
Rush Yards: 70---95---113
3rd down conversion%: 27%---21%----34%
Turnovers: 0---5---1.375

Defense:
Total Net Yards: 441---316---364
Pass Yards: 311---170---220
Rush Yards: 130---152---143.9
3rd down conversion%: 61.5%---22%---38.3%
Turnovers: 1---0---0.93

So before I checked the stats, I was sure we had improved. But if you substract that 1st drive, we looked just like the Texans of 2005. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, because I know its going to take time. And its great promise that we showed so much signs of life. PLUS this was the EAGLES not the BILLS so that makes a huge difference. Anyway, luckily all our games won't be against the Eagles. Go Texans!

Did you post after the first game in Franchise history that the Texans would never lose a game? Did you predict that Billy Miller would score a touchdown every game? Did you predict that Gary Walker would be an animal on the defensive line for years to come? :tease:

Of course you didn't. You would have been laughed out of the message boards for being overreactive. Same thing here. It's only one game, under a new offensive and defensive scheme, with new players, and alot of rookies. Man, this Chcken Little...The sky is falling routine is getting so old. Give the new staff a fair chance. at least 6-8 games, before making any judgements.

P.S. The same thing holds true for judging..... :fireball:

wrestler4life
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Didn't they say the Eagles outscored their opponents by 171 in the first Quarter??

That didn't happen Sunday.... so we still have some good stuff to build on. We've got some things to work on, and they aren't that big a deal. Now that our front seven is better against the run than we were last year(we are), our DBs can be told to lay off the playfake.... & we won't have the Debacle we had Sunday.
Yes, it would be nice to let our DB's not have to worry about the playfake.
Indy uses a great playfake , but who knows how effective it will be w/o EJ.
They also have that fake draw that is so effective. Yikes!

gtexan02
09-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Did you post after the first game in Franchise history that the Texans would never lose a game? Did you predict that Billy Miller would score a touchdown every game? Did you predict that Gary Walker would be an animal on the defensive line for years to come? :tease:

Of course you didn't. You would have been laughed out of the message boards for being overreactive. Same thing here. It's only one game, under a new offensive and defensive scheme, with new players, and alot of rookies. Man, this Chcken Little...The sky is falling routine is getting so old. Give the new staff a fair chance. at least 6-8 games, before making any judgements.

P.S. The same thing holds true for judging..... :fireball:

*insert sigh* Its like some people don't want to read your original post at all. Did you not see this??

"PLEASE do not tell me I'm crazy to do this after 1 game. I realize this. But this is all the data we have to work with, and I love Texans football, can't stop thinking about it, and thus will do it anyways."

HJam72
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Man, this Chcken Little...The sky is falling routine is getting so old.

Oh, I wouldn't say the sky is falling. You're too late, 'cuz it fell in the Cleveland game in 2004 to end the season, if not sooner. :chicken:

We're still trying to get it back off the ground. :)

hollywood_texan
09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Did we improve from last year? I don't think so from what I saw at Reliant on Sunday.

Carr had a good first drive and had some okay stats. But something smells funny when you QB has a rating of 100 and you score only 10 points with 50 yards total rushing.

Kubiak's play calling was the same as last year's fiasco. I am surprised he ran Lundy on 3-10 in the second quarter. And that 4 down pass play that was batted down was typical Capers crew play calling.

Look, Kubiak needs to install more of the offense or this is going to be an ugly first half of the season. Defenses are going to continue to stuff the line of scrimmage for runs and blitzing Carr until they can get the ball downfield and make them pay for that strategy.

We all know Kubiak knows what to do, or at least that is why he was hired. I think it is safe to assume, considering what he has said with regard to the progress of the offense, that he does not have full faith in a player or players to execute those plays.

Double Barrel
09-13-2006, 03:31 PM

In all fairness to fans, our franchise is 19-45. I'm not one to declare anything over after the first game, and I can drink koolaide with the best of 'em...but still, our first actual game revealed some serious issues with this team. And some of these issues are not new....5 sacks...no pressure on the opposing QB...coming out flat in the 2nd half...no consistent running game...

Of course I think we should give Kubiak & Co. a chance (how's four years?), but we can still discuss what we've seen. And some fans will grip over it, and others will remain calm and relaxed in their seats...but that's all part of the great kingdom of fanatics in the world of football.

I'm not calling you out, gjmac2, but just saying that it takes all kinds. :redtowel:

HJam72
09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Is Carr still not allowed to call audibles to anything he wants? I thought that was a major problem last year and it could still be. If he sees the blitz coming from a certain area, he needs to be able to adjust and audible to something that will allow him to burn that blitz, as opposed to just hoping it gets picked up. There is usually an easy and quick pass somewhere behind where the blitz is coming from or, if not, then the safety is biting in on that side and either AJ or Moulds needs to burn up the sideline--AND I MEAN REALLY BURN IT. Right now, that's what I'm thinking is not getting done. I would hate to be a QB who can't audible to what I feel is appropriate for the situation.

I know the Cardinals sucked (and so did we), but that was a real eye-opener.

When the blitz is coming say from the right side (speaking offensively) and that safety is biting in, Manning will call the audible and throw a lob pass to a wide-out who's high-tailing it down the sideline on that same right side. That is enough to make you consider never blitzing again. If the safety is not biting, then he will have somebody catch a quick pass about 7 yds. downfield and start hitting safeties.

If Carr is being prevented from calling audibles of his choosing and the reason is his overall lack of success in this league, then THAT IS A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY or a bad, negative reinforcing cycle. He may not achieve success until he is treated like a successfull QB in the first place. It's like a kid in school that a teacher gives all the attention to and pushes because she thinks he is very bright. That kid excels, while the kids that are being ignored during all of this begin to decline. At some point, you gotta give Carr the wheel and see if he can drive this thing.

I know that this was his first game under Kubiak, but he is in his fifth year and it's high time he got real bullets for his 6 shooter. I don't even know if he is or isn't allowed to do it, but I thought I read some post saying that he isn't and that strikes me as a real problem.

Generally speaking, would you want to blitz a team really often that had Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds as wide-outs? What if they're QB had a gun for an arm? What if they had Putzier and others to go down the middle? Something smells funny here and I think it's a lack of audibles.

hollywood_texan
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Is Carr still not allowed to call audibles to anything he wants? I thought that was a major problem last year and it could still be. If he sees the blitz coming from a certain area, he needs to be able to adjust and audible to something that will allow him to burn that blitz, as opposed to just hoping it gets picked up. There is usually an easy and quick pass somewhere behind where the blitz is coming from or, if not, then the safety is biting in on that side and either AJ or Moulds needs to burn up the sideline--AND I MEAN REALLY BURN IT. Right now, that's what I'm thinking is not getting done. I would hate to be a QB who can't audible to what I feel is appropriate for the situation.

I know the Cardinals sucked (and so did we), but that was a real eye-opener.

When the blitz is coming say from the right side (speaking offensively) and that safety is biting in, Manning will call the audible and throw a lob pass to a wide-out who's high-tailing it down the sideline on that same right side. That is enough to make you consider never blitzing again. If the safety is not biting, then he will have somebody catch a quick pass about 7 yds. downfield and start hitting safeties.

If Carr is being prevented from calling audibles of his choosing and the reason is his overall lack of success in this league, then THAT IS A SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY or a bad, negative reinforcing cycle. He may not achieve success until he is treated like a successfull QB in the first place. It's like a kid in school that a teacher gives all the attention to and pushes because she thinks he is very bright. That kid excels, while the kids that are being ignored during all of this begin to decline. At some point, you gotta give Carr the wheel and see if he can drive this thing.

I know that this was his first game under Kubiak, but he is in his fifth year and it's high time he got real bullets for his 6 shooter. I don't even know if he is or isn't allowed to do it, but I thought I read some post saying that he isn't and that strikes me as a real problem.

Generally speaking, would you want to blitz a team really often that had Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds as wide-outs? What if they're QB had a gun for an arm? What if they had Putzier and others to go down the middle? Something smells funny here and I think it's a lack of audibles.

Exactly, very well said.

The Texans have seriously changed everything in the offense, down to personnel, except for David Carr, and it looks like the same old thing.

I know things will take a some time to change, but I didn't really see a glimmer of a prosperous future oustide of that first drive.

fastpitchwoof
09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
This is a post I made in another thread.

I know we lost last week and we did not look like a contender.

But remember how bad we felt after 3:00pm last year on opening day. This year's Texans are far better than last year's Texans. WE HAVE STARTED OVER! It will take some time. My god, at least this year we can move the ball. It was even against a superior opponent (this year's Eagles vs last year's Bills). This year's Texans would soundly defeat last year's Texans. Isn't that progress? Isn't that what we want?

Too many people on this board want a video game fix with cheat codes. Real life doesn't work like that. How many teams have instant success when a new system is brought in. Hell, forget the system, we have replaced well over half of the starters.

I don't know how many of the Texan's players or coaches read these boards. But if you are, I support you. I am a fan. I do not like to lose. I want to embarrass Dallas. But I do realize that this will take some time and I support the Texans

blockhead83
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
You can't take away our first drive and say, hey we're the same because we sucked as bad from there on as we did last year. It's like saying our offensive line protected well if you throw out those 5 plays where Carr got sacked. If you throw out those 7 plays that lead to a touchdown, our only touchdown, then yea our offense wasn't very productive was it?

hollywood_texan
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
You can't take away our first drive and say, hey we're the same because we sucked as bad from there on as we did last year. It's like saying our offensive line protected well if you throw out those 5 plays where Carr got sacked. If you throw out those 7 plays that lead to a touchdown, our only touchdown, then yea our offense wasn't very productive was it?

Very nice! Keep it up!

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Exactly, very well said.

The Texans have seriously changed everything in the offense, down to personnel, except for David Carr, and it looks like the same old thing.

I know things will take a some time to change, but I didn't really see a glimmer of a prosperous future oustide of that first drive.

This team didn't look ANYTHING like the team from last year. I don't care if you throw that first drive out or not. This team looked much better than the team that got squished by the Bills and we were facing a much tougher opponent.

Right now, this team looks like a professional football team; last year, we didn't. I've seen several commentators talking and forecasting the worst team in the NFL and I really expected them to ream us... but not one of them selected us.

We're already better and we're going to get even better. Too bad we've got a brutal opening to this season.

tsip
09-13-2006, 07:50 PM
:homer: 's are always 'preaching' you can't judge anything after 1 game or 1 season, so how can they say we're better than last year after just 1 game? Too, :homer: 's always want other posters to 'verify' their opinions with
facts,data,sources,etc., so why don't they do the same?

We're a better team now than last year at the same time? Why?...back it up.:cowboy1:

blockhead83
09-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I assume by facts and data you mean stats, to which my retort is that if stats were the trumping factor then the Colts would be back to back NFL champions the past two years. Football is a sport you have to watch to get the pulse of what's going on. I watched the whole game last sunday (in HD mind you), and the Texans offense looked better to me, so there.

hollywood_texan
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
This team didn't look ANYTHING like the team from last year. I don't care if you throw that first drive out or not. This team looked much better than the team that got squished by the Bills and we were facing a much tougher opponent.

Right now, this team looks like a professional football team; last year, we didn't. I've seen several commentators talking and forecasting the worst team in the NFL and I really expected them to ream us... but not one of them selected us.

We're already better and we're going to get even better. Too bad we've got a brutal opening to this season.

I completely disagree. Conservative play calling, an offense that couldn't do anything in the fourth quarter, 5 sacks (which is a pace 80 for the year), and a defense that got manhandled is so similar to 2005 it is ridiculous.

If Kubiak calls the offensive plays like he did on Sunday against the Eagles, the Texans will probably go 0-6.

Kubiak needs to call the right plays (which is why he was hired as I understand it) and let's see if they succeed.

All I am asking for is glimmer of hope, and I didn't see it on Sunday. Which is the same feeling I got all last season, including the preseason.

tsip
09-13-2006, 08:12 PM
I assume by facts and data you mean stats, to which my retort is that if stats were the trumping factor then the Colts would be back to back NFL champions the past two years. Football is a sport you have to watch to get the pulse of what's going on. I watched the whole game last sunday (in HD mind you), and the Texans offense looked better to me, so there.

Sorry, I'm not asking for stats--wrong assumption:homer: -you said the offense looked better. Why did it look better to you? Surely, you have maybe just ONE reason why...or not.

...and, if it means anything, I watched the game on my 'custom' designed/built computer media center in HD with built-in DVR and advanced surround sound The family has 4 season tickets on the 50 yd line (25 rows up) but I let my Aggie neices take their boyfriends.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2006, 08:13 PM
:homer: 's are always 'preaching' you can't judge anything after 1 game or 1 season, so how can they say we're better than last year after just 1 game? Too, :homer: 's always want other posters to 'verify' their opinions with
facts,data,sources,etc., so why don't they do the same?

We're a better team now than last year at the same time? Why?...back it up.:cowboy1:

1. What's wrong with loving your team and being a homer?

2. Did you watch that game and did you watch the Buffalo game last year? Either the Eagles are a lot worse than the Bills, or we're a lot better. We played a much better game against a much better team.

3. EVERYBODY tries to use the stats to prove whatever it is that they're preaching. That's why Mark Twain said there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. You can spin anything to whatever you want. Winning and losing is another statistic and if you just judge by wins and losses, you're missing a lot of important information.

Right now, we don't really know if the Eagles are any better than the Bills were last year (although I think we're all pretty sure that's true.) It might be that we just suck so bad that we made the Eagles look great just like we made the Bills look great last year. Hell, after that game against us, people were thinking Losman was the second coming of Montana. And we might have the same thing happening here. But...

Carr had 70 yards passing and threw 3 interceptions last year. He had over 200 yards, 1 TD, and no picks this year. You cannot tell me that's not improvement.

Last year, Davis went 14 for 48 yards and a long run of 7 yards; this year, Lundy/Morency went 16 for 45 yards and a long of 12 yards... so the running game is a wash statistically.

Our top three tacklers last year were Seth Payne (7-1), PBuch (6-1), and Coleman (6-0) and we had no interceptions or fumbles. Our top tacklers this year were Ryans (12-1), Greenwood (7-1), Dunta (7-0) and we had 1 interception. So, I think our defense is making strides; we've got a rookie linebacker making plays instead of having our DB's having to make the tackles.

So... sure, you can make judgements after one game, but people's judgment is frequently colored by the glasses they're wearing and my glasses are half full. Or... something like that...

The bottom line for me is that after watching the first game last year, I knew I was in for a long year. After watching the first game this year, I'm excited because I think we're going to kick some butt this year. Not in the first two games, but after that...

hollywood_texan
09-13-2006, 08:17 PM

2. Did you watch that game and did you watch the Buffalo game last year? Either the Eagles are a lot worse than the Bills, or we're a lot better. We played a much better game against a much better team.

3. EVERYBODY tries to use the stats to prove whatever it is that they're preaching. That's why Mark Twain said there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. You can spin anything to whatever you want. Winning and losing is another statistic and if you just judge by wins and losses, you're missing a lot of important information.

Right now, we don't really know if the Eagles are any better than the Bills were last year (although I think we're all pretty sure that's true.) It might be that we just suck so bad that we made the Eagles look great just like we made the Bills look great last year. Hell, after that game against us, people were thinking Losman was the second coming of Montana. And we might have the same thing happening here. But...

Carr had 70 yards passing and threw 3 interceptions last year. He had over 200 yards, 1 TD, and no picks this year. You cannot tell me that's not improvement.

Last year, Davis went 14 for 48 yards and a long run of 7 yards; this year, Lundy/Morency went 16 for 45 yards and a long of 12 yards... so the running game is a wash statistically.

Our top three tacklers last year were Seth Payne (7-1), PBuch (6-1), and Coleman (6-0) and we had no interceptions or fumbles. Our top tacklers this year were Ryans (12-1), Greenwood (7-1), Dunta (7-0) and we had 1 interception. So, I think our defense is making strides; we've got a rookie linebacker making plays instead of having our DB's having to make the tackles.

So... sure, you can make judgements after one game, but people's judgment is frequently colored by the glasses they're wearing and my glasses are half full. Or... something like that...

The bottom line for me is that after watching the first game last year, I knew I was in for a long year. After watching the first game this year, I'm excited because I think we're going to kick some butt this year. Not in the first two games, but after that...

The way I see it, the Bills kicked our butts last year, and the Eagles did the same thing this year. End of story.

tsip
09-13-2006, 08:29 PM

We didn't show up for the second half Sunday and--as Kubiak said--were totally dominated by the Eagles. They ran the clock for 21 minutes and were headed for a score when the clock ran out. We played worse as the game went on, gave up 5 sacks, got no pressure on their QB, couldn't stop their rush, couldn't move the ball let alone score in the second half, gave up over 400 yds offense, are ranked 'dead' last in defense and 26th in offense (?) and folks are talking about how--'yeah, we lost, but we looked better doing it?!.'

It's all about expectations and accountability...:wild:

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I completely disagree. Conservative play calling, an offense that couldn't do anything in the fourth quarter, 5 sacks (which is a pace 80 for the year), and a defense that got manhandled is so similar to 2005 it is ridiculous.

If Kubiak calls the offensive plays like he did on Sunday against the Eagles, the Texans will probably go 0-6.

Kubiak needs to call the right plays (which is why he was hired as I understand it) and let's see if they succeed.

All I am asking for is glimmer of hope, and I didn't see it on Sunday. Which is the same feeling I got all last season, including the preseason.

Give me an example of a conservative play.. please.........

I didn't think we were anymore conservative than the Eagles.

srstex
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Carr's QB rating was 102, that was GOOD.
Weaver had the only sack-not so good.
70 yards running for the entire team for the game Bad
Play calling 27 pass & 20 run - when you knew you couldn't run Inexcusable.

As to the Accountability-Kubiak needs to drink from that cup first, he made the play calls.

srstex
09-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I liked Carr in the no-huddle, he looked poised, calm, and seemed to enjoy the pace. Let's upen the play book past chapter one, I think Carr and the rest of the team can handle it.

blockhead83
09-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Sorry, I'm not asking for stats--wrong assumption:homer: -you said the offense looked better. Why did it look better to you? Surely, you have maybe just ONE reason why...or not.

...and, if it means anything, I watched the game on my 'custom' designed/built computer media center in HD with built-in DVR and advanced surround sound The family has 4 season tickets on the 50 yd line (25 rows up) but I let my Aggie neices take their boyfriends.

You asked for facts and data, so first let me ask you, if you were not meaning statistical evidence, what were you looking for that could be considered FACTUAL information; (excluding quoting players which was mentioned separately) because my reasoning is based on what I saw at the game, which is NON-FACT, it's opinion.

But I digress, sure I'll tell you why I thought it looked better. I thought David Carr played as well as I've seen him play in two years. I thought he stepped up in the pocket to make throws, went through his progressions, displayed heightened awareness of pocket pressure, and threw the ball downfield instead of relying on dump downs for the majority of his throws. I also thought that our offensive line, while still playing very poorly on dozen plays or so, looked better in it's protection of Carr on the whole than it did last season. Let me validate that statement by explaining what I mean. Last season Carr was lucky to have 3 seconds on those plays where he was not sacked, where as against the Eagles (who field a top notch D-Line) the Texans OL was able to provide some semblance of a pocket and time for Carr on those occasions when he was able to hit a receiver downfield. Also speaking to how we looked improved, Moulds provided us with a honest-to-goodness explosive play from the #2 WR position for a 25 yard touchdown. How often have we received that from our #2 in the past? Continuing on that tangent, AJ received much less double coverage, more than likely due to Moulds presence, which allowed him to get into the game.

Anyways, there's my opinion, if you'd like some facts and data you'll have to let me know what you mean first because I don't understand.

tsip
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Give me an example of a conservative play.. please.........

I didn't think we were anymore conservative than the Eagles.

We were conservative after the 1st TD and had no offense in the 2nd half.
Eagles had over 441 yds offense (including 311 yds passong)-avg over 16 games would be 7000 Total offense and almost 5000 yds passing--oh, and 3 tds would be 48 for the year. Eagles controlled the clock for 21 minutes in the 2nd half and were headed for a score when time ran out.................We're ranked #26 in the NFL--Eagles are #1.

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 11:15 PM
We were conservative after the 1st TD and had no offense in the 2nd half.
Eagles had over 441 yds offense (including 311 yds passong)-avg over 16 games would be 7000 Total offense and almost 5000 yds passing--oh, and 3 tds would be 48 for the year. Eagles controlled the clock for 21 minutes in the 2nd half and were headed for a score when time ran out.................We're ranked #26 in the NFL--Eagles are #1.

After the first touchdown, we had a 37 yard pass or something to AJ, to get the ball on the Philly 7 yard line. That definitely was not conservative.

Not picking up yards is not the same as being conservative. We weren't successful, but we didn't try to play it safe. I believe we had many plays with one on one coverage but David chose not to pull the trigger.

Houston Texans at 11:28
1-10-HOU17 (11:28) PENALTY on PHI-M.Patterson, Encroachment, 5 yards, enforced at HST 17 - No Play.
1-5-HOU22 (11:23) W.Lundy right guard to HST 25 for 3 yards (M.McCoy, J.Trotter).
2-2-HOU25 (10:52) W.Lundy left guard to HST 27 for 2 yards (M.Patterson).
1-10-HOU27 (10:19) D.Carr pass incomplete to E.Moulds.
PENALTY on PHI-M.Lewis, Defensive Pass Interference, 15 yards, enforced at HST 27 - No Play. 1-10-HOU42 (10:11) D.Carr pass short left to E.Moulds to HST 45 for 3 yards (M.McCoy).
2-7-HOU45 (9:38) W.Lundy right end to PHI 44 for 11 yards (M.McCoy).
1-10-PHI44 (9:02) D.Carr pass short middle to W.Lundy to PHI 40 for 4 yards (D.Howard, J.Trotter).
2-6-PHI40 (8:30) D.Carr pass incomplete short right.
3-6-PHI40 (8:22) D.Carr sacked at 50 for -10 yards (J.Kearse).
4-16-50 (7:46) C.Stanley punts 42 yards to PHI 8, Center-B.Pittman, fair catch by B.Westbrook. (Punt hang time 4.8 seconds.)

8 offensive plays, not counting the final punt. our third play is a 15 yard pass attempt....

& Like I said, I bet the wide recievers were on deep routes when we threw those short passes...... but in David's defense, McNabb beat us with a bunch of short passes..... Philly's LBs played the passing game much better than ours did.

I just don't think we were being conservative.

HJam72
09-14-2006, 12:40 AM
I think shorter passes are many times misconstued as more conservative play calls. It's probably just that the wide-outs didn't have time to get open before Carr felt pressure, or the coverage was deep and nobody was open deep. You can be left with conservative play, despite not making conservative play calls. Having said that, I watched it on TV, so I couldn't see receivers running without the ball. I could always be wrong.

I also think that the reason our offense was not ranked a whole lot higher is because our running game was better last year than what we did Sunday. Hopefully not better than what we will do, but better than last Sunday. Sure, Carr had a 102.1 passer rating, but we only had (I think) 57 yds. rushing. That's pathetic.