PDA

View Full Version : Things I Learned from the Texans Board

Mr. White
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Running back=Defensive lineman
Basketball player=Football player

6 year contracts are unnecessary now that message board posters can determine if he is a bust after 1 game.

frankhad
09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
LOL - that's really funny - but so very correct.

If you think it's bad here, you don't want to waste a minute over on the Chronicle's Texan forum. Over there, it's painfully obvious one must fail a breath-a-lyzer test before posts are accepted. You can tell the ones with real football knowledge by how deftly they emphasize their remarks with color and larger fonts.

michaelm
09-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I learned that, evidently, it's possible for a team with a new coaching staff, a huge roster turnover, new starters throughout the lineup on both sides of the ball, and five rookie starters to win the Superbowl after week one of the NFL season.

At least that's what I think I learned...

Judging by people's reaction to this loss, that's obviously what they were expecting.

NederlandTexan
09-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Our staff has only one week to undo what Capers and crew had four years to booger. It's hard to believe some of these posters are actually Texan fans. It's going to be a long year. Instant gratification generation.:rolleyes:

axman40
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey I know The Texans lost a game but does that mean the season is over ? How are the Rockets doing? When will the pitchers and catchers report? WHO won The World Series? Did I miss Christmas again? Is Perry still Governor or did Kinky pull it out?
:cowboy1:

CharloTex
09-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Should we stay at number 1 or trade down?:crutch:

Hardcore Texan
09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Oh, good times.

I am hoping the flood of ranting subsides soon. I agree it is way too early to be over-reacting about one performance. It is instant gratification syndrome, that is for sure. Plain and simple it is going to take time for this team to turn it around. One thing is for sure, we have some tough oponents the first few games.

On a side note, while discussing the Texans and Eagles at work today, a goofball at work tried to tell me that the Eagles and the Raiders were going to play in the Superbowl this season. I told him 5-11 would be an accomplishment.....at that point I was just suprised he knew enough about football to realize that they are in different conferences. Yeah, the Raiders are going to be out the Bengals, Steelers, Miami, Indy, Denver, Patriots, etc. I am still chuckling about that one.

Tyr
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
It could be worse, it could still be the offseason. Be happy that we at least have football back and we are only 1 week down.

DRAMA
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Should we stay at number 1 or trade down?:crutch:

Now that's funny! :redtowel:

FirstTexansFan
09-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I've learned the majority of posters on this MB are positive, upbeat individuals, that let a few trolls, and pessimist ruin the experience. Cheer up, there are more of us than the group hereafter referred to as "The Whiny Bunch". Remember, if all else fails, and you feel the need to call them morons, mullets, or retards, the ignore feature is readily available, and easy to use. What was it brother Bill said? Oh! "I feel your pain" :)

Divebomb
09-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Running back=Defensive lineman
Basketball player=Football player

6 year contracts are unnecessary now that message board posters can determine if he is a bust after 1 game.

No lie, this made me laugh out loud, great post man!

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-12-2006, 01:35 AM
I learned that, evidently, it's possible for a team with a new coaching staff, a huge roster turnover, new starters throughout the lineup on both sides of the ball, and five rookie starters to win the Superbowl after week one of the NFL season.

At least that's what I think I learned...

Judging by people's reaction to this loss, that's obviously what they were expecting.

Very True !:redtowel:

TheOgre
09-12-2006, 06:42 AM
How many of you truly thought we would win this game? I don't mean hoped, but rather wholeheartedly believed we would do it?

I just think too many of the posters here had unrealistic expectations. The Eagles went to 4 consecutive NFC Championship Games and fell on hard times last year with a multitude of key injuries. They are likely to be towards the top of the heap again this year. We are a team that has averaged fewer than 5 wins a season in our four years of existence, plus we are coming off a 2-14 season. We have a new coach, a new system (on both sides of the ball), about a dozen new starters, and million questions on both sides of the ball.

So lets get to the real question: What level of success is reasonable for this season?

4 wins? 6 wins? 8 wins? Playoffs? Something other than record like rankings offensively and defensively?

Personally anything more than 6-7 wins is just not being realistic. Look at 2-14 teams over the past 10 years and I bet you could find one (2004 to 2005 Dolphins) maybe two that won more than that after going 2-14 the previous season. I'd be content with 6 wins and marked improvement in both units, finishing outside the bottom quarter of the league on both sides would do that for me.

I want success too and am frustrated with the losses, but I am still going to be realistic about this team at the same time. Are you?

Texans Horror
09-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I thought a .500 season was within reach. Everything looked to be building toward that goal. But about a week ago, Kubiak made some pejorative, weird moves. Hiring Ron Dayne, pushing Owens to the starting lineup, moving Wand from starting LT to off the roster. It dawned on me that the "win now" directive that McNair talked about in the offseason was shelved. They are building a team for 3 to 4 years from now. So I've changed my theory to a 5-6 win season, tops. I'd be happy with 4.

Txn_in_Oki
09-12-2006, 08:08 AM
I am hoping the flood of ranting subsides soon.

Don't worry, it will.

Just in time for next Sunday.

:redtowel:

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
09-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I thought a .500 season was within reach. Everything looked to be building toward that goal. But about a week ago, Kubiak made some pejorative, weird moves. Hiring Ron Dayne, pushing Owens to the starting lineup, moving Wand from starting LT to off the roster. It dawned on me that the "win now" directive that McNair talked about in the offseason was shelved. They are building a team for 3 to 4 years from now. So I've changed my theory to a 5-6 win season, tops. I'd be happy with 4.

Dont give up on the season after one game man. We play Indy. this week it's more than likely going to be hard to watch but we can only hope that the Intire team learned something from game one. Inprovement is the key word here. Mario gets his first sack and 4 tackles, Carr throughes for 250/275, Aj gets another 100 yrd game, the O-line gives up 2/3 sacks, Def. keeps the running game in check, Manning only get 350/400 yrds passing. These are the things we need to watch. NOT carr did this and not that, Mario did'nt do this hes a bust, O-line can't block, D-line no rush. Small inprovements each and every week and at the end of the season I do beleive we have a .500 season. We have a team now we saw glimps sunday(I had to read the game and MB) but I heard some VERY positive things. Its a start and its a long season, its just getting started.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-12-2006, 08:12 AM

Great post OSO, Just to add to what you said, I have learned just to be happy we have a NFL team back in Houston, and just to be able to enjoy Football every sunday as well here in the good old USA....... WIN OR LOSE I STILL AM A TEXANS FAN :redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:

Texans Horror
09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Dont give up on the season after one game man. We play Indy. this week it's more than likely going to be hard to watch but we can only hope that the Intire team learned something from game one. Inprovement is the key word here. Mario gets his first sack and 4 tackles, Carr throughes for 250/275, Aj gets another 100 yrd game, the O-line gives up 2/3 sacks, Def. keeps the running game in check, Manning only get 350/400 yrds passing. These are the things we need to watch. NOT carr did this and not that, Mario did'nt do this hes a bust, O-line can't block, D-line no rush. Small inprovements each and every week and at the end of the season I do beleive we have a .500 season. We have a team now we saw glimps sunday(I had to read the game and MB) but I heard some VERY positive things. Its a start and its a long season, its just getting started.

They have a tough year. I'm not giving up on them - I'm just trying to be realistic. (Not that you aren't.)

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
They have a tough year. I'm not giving up on them - I'm just trying to be realistic. (Not that you aren't.)

O.K. we are on the same page. LOL

Double Barrel
09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
How many of you truly thought we would win this game? I don't mean hoped, but rather wholeheartedly believed we would do it?

I just think too many of the posters here had unrealistic expectations. The Eagles went to 4 consecutive NFC Championship Games and fell on hard times last year with a multitude of key injuries. They are likely to be towards the top of the heap again this year. We are a team that has averaged fewer than 5 wins a season in our four years of existence, plus we are coming off a 2-14 season. We have a new coach, a new system (on both sides of the ball), about a dozen new starters, and million questions on both sides of the ball.

So lets get to the real question: What level of success is reasonable for this season?

4 wins? 6 wins? 8 wins? Playoffs? Something other than record like rankings offensively and defensively?

Personally anything more than 6-7 wins is just not being realistic. Look at 2-14 teams over the past 10 years and I bet you could find one (2004 to 2005 Dolphins) maybe two that won more than that after going 2-14 the previous season. I'd be content with 6 wins and marked improvement in both units, finishing outside the bottom quarter of the league on both sides would do that for me.

I want success too and am frustrated with the losses, but I am still going to be realistic about this team at the same time. Are you?

Good post, Ogre. We've got to keep things in perspective to keep it real. The fact of the matter is that any team with a new coaching staff and a huge turnover in players is going through a rebuilding process. And these things do not happen overnight, but rather over multiple seasons.

I was one that hoped for a .500 season before the first game. But realistically, I'm falling back to the "3-13 is better than last year" camp. 6-10 would be a huge improvement, IMHO, especially if they are competitive at all in those losses (Philly loss not included).

real
09-12-2006, 10:39 AM
... especially if they are competitive at all in those losses (Philly loss not included).

I think we were competitive in the Philly loss...We held the lead for the majority of the first half, and we weren't really out of the game until late in the fourth...

SESupergenius
09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I think 6-10 is realistic, however we are going to stuggle early in the season. Once we get our identity and start playing as a team under this new system, we should be lights out. Our rookies will have a lot of experience midway through the season and we play teams that have lesser talent than the Eagles do. I do however think that Sage Rosenfels will be our starting QB at the end because this line has been exposed over and over.

TheOgre
09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I think 6-10 is realistic, however we are going to stuggle early in the season. Once we get our identity and start playing as a team under this new system, we should be lights out. Our rookies will have a lot of experience midway through the season and we play teams that have lesser talent than the Eagles do. I do however think that Sage Rosenfels will be our starting QB at the end because this line has been exposed over and over.

Not to mention our first nine games are a list of mainly playoff teams, and our last seven games are a primarily a list of teams we are competing with for draft position. Our schedule has been like that two years running. Think someone in New York has it out for us?