PDA

View Full Version : The Horseshoes

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
This is my first season reading this board during the season. When do we start talking smack about the Colts? Should I go into full smack mode that totally disregards reality or should I be realistic?

Here's my realistic view:

I think our running game is going to be better against the Colts than it was against the Eagles but I'm really worried about their pass rush. Hopefully DC will continue to improve but this one's going to be hard. We might be able to put up some points and that's our only hope at this point.

Of course, on the defensive side, I'm afraid Peyton is going to light us up like a Christmas tree. Now, we should be able to stop their running game but if we are so bad against the run that we make Addai and Rhodes look like the second comings of OJ Simpson and Jim Brown, then it's going to be a looooooooong year. I think it's still too early for our defense to be up to this challenge.

In the past, we've played the Dolts hard but we've never won. I don't expect to come away with a win this week and I'm just hoping it won't get too bloody.

So... what do y'all think?

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
This is my first season reading this board during the season. When do we start talking smack about the Colts? Should I go into full smack mode that totally disregards reality or should I be realistic?

Here's my realistic view:

I think our running game is going to be better against the Colts than it was against the Eagles but I'm really worried about their pass rush. Hopefully DC will continue to improve but this one's going to be hard. We might be able to put up some points and that's our only hope at this point.

Of course, on the defensive side, I'm afraid Peyton is going to light us up like a Christmas tree. Now, we should be able to stop their running game but if we are so bad against the run that we make Addai and Rhodes look like the second comings of OJ Simpson and Jim Brown, then it's going to be a looooooooong year. I think it's still too early for our defense to be up to this challenge.

In the past, we've played the Dolts hard but we've never won. I don't expect to come away with a win this week and I'm just hoping it won't get too bloody.

Make adjustments where you can and bring the kitchen sink. You can't learn by doing more of the same and playing conservative. Bring the pain and make the corrections via scheme or personnel in the off season. 2007 is the target year, anyone saying otherwise is selling something.

Grid
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
For the most part.. we keep our smack to ourselves unless we are up against the Jaguars or Cowboys :D

Mostly because we have nothing to back up our claims hehe. I look forward to the day when we are a playoff team, so that I can talk smack to some of these arrogant S.O.B.s that dog us.

As for this week. I think it will be an easier game than last week to be honest with you. Why, I dunno.. just that the Colts dont seem quite as aggressive on defense (though they have Freeney)..and thier offense, while it makes HUGE plays and will eat you alive.. it doesnt seem to have that same brand of trickery which made us look like dunces yesterday (though the colts run a mean screen pass).

All in all, I think its gonna be very tough..but a win IS a possibility. Ill be hoping really really hard for the win, because beating the colts would pretty much erase all the negativity that came from the philly loss. If we can beat the colts.. AND have Williams get about 5 tackles, 1-2 sacks, and a FF or blocked pass... that would be freakin awesome.

Nawzer
09-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Well one thing we learned yesterday from the Colts and Giants game is that their running game isn't what it used to be. Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes didn't run all that well. So we have to do what the Giants did yesterday, which is to force Manning to throw into coverage. He'll still beat you but this gives us a better chance. But once again if both side of our line don't play well we won't win.

WILLIEG
09-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Spencer is going to be a lot of trouble facing Freeney. And our secondary is going to be exploited more this week than last week. We are in for a long first half on the season, but we should see some brighter days whenever the compitiion gets easier during the second half of the season. As long as we improve in the new system and get better then I'll be happy whatever record we have wind up with.

Buffi2
09-11-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't think we will win Sunday but I do hope to see improvement - especially in our running game and defense.

As long as we improve - we will be ok over the long haul.

Go Texans!

utahmark
09-11-2006, 08:14 PM
you should go to the indy board and talk smack. that way if by some insane unforseable circumstance we win. you will look like a prophet.

Farough
09-11-2006, 08:26 PM
you should go to the indy board and talk smack. that way if by some insane unforseable circumstance we win. you will look like a prophet.

lol, but then you will look like an idiot if we get killed.

ColtsFan in CA
09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
lol, but then you will look like an idiot if we get killed.
Not really we have been dealing with Patriot trolls for three years...it would be refreshing to see you guys...

jerek
09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't think the Colts D compares to the Eagles D, and not their pass rush either. OTOH the Colts offense is probably better. Addai IMO is a capable back and of course the only way you can hope to stop Manning is to successfully, consistently pressure him. The Colts O-line isn't going to be much if any worse than the Eagles', so the pressure is going to have to come from improved performance on our D-line and better playcalling.

Our coaches will watch tape and learn from last game's mistakes.

This game is winnable but we're going to have to improve from yesterday.

Sarg01
09-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Using the only metrics we have, the 4 preseason games and week 1's performance, the Colts have the worst rushing average in the NFL at 2.4 yards per carry.

Peyton's whole game is play action. If coaches recognize the Colts no longer have a workable running game, the Colts are in for several big surprises this year. We all know what happens when the defense comes after him, and play action takes longer to develop - i.e. more time for rushers if they don't have to worry about staying home in case it really is a run.

tsip
09-12-2006, 03:56 AM
Not really we have been dealing with Patriot trolls for three years...it would be refreshing to see you guys...

Patriot trolls!?...guess I missed that-can't even remember one

Timbuck2
09-12-2006, 04:11 AM
For the most part.. we keep our smack to ourselves unless we are up against the Jaguars or Cowboys :D

Mostly because we have nothing to back up our claims hehe. I look forward to the day when we are a playoff team, so that I can talk smack to some of these arrogant S.O.B.s that dog us.

As for this week. I think it will be an easier game than last week to be honest with you. Why, I dunno.. just that the Colts dont seem quite as aggressive on defense (though they have Freeney)..and thier offense, while it makes HUGE plays and will eat you alive.. it doesnt seem to have that same brand of trickery which made us look like dunces yesterday (though the colts run a mean screen pass).

All in all, I think its gonna be very tough..but a win IS a possibility. Ill be hoping really really hard for the win, because beating the colts would pretty much erase all the negativity that came from the philly loss. If we can beat the colts.. AND have Williams get about 5 tackles, 1-2 sacks, and a FF or blocked pass... that would be freakin awesome.

the only way super mario touches peyton this week is if he's playing de, takes off 5 seconds before the snap, and the running back can't get his hands on his shoulder pads and stand him up. freakin awesome is if we're within 7 points at the end of the game. just kiddin:tease:

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-12-2006, 08:46 AM
This is our year to beat the Colts, hopefully on thier home turf like everyone else does to us.......:challenge

DBCooper
09-12-2006, 09:56 AM
The Texans need to play angry and with a chip on thier shoulders.

They should be pissed about being on every other teams highlight reels.

They need to take it personally.

TEXANRED
09-12-2006, 10:15 AM
This is my first season reading this board during the season. When do we start talking smack about the Colts?

When smack talking the Colts, try not to say something you will regret five minutes after the game starts. Something like, we are gonna win this game, or Payton is going down or Freeney is overated.

In short, don't embarrass yourself.

Texans Horror
09-12-2006, 10:33 AM
As horrendous as the Houston schedule is, scheduling helps the Texans out against the Colts. The first time the Texans play them, it is between the Giants and the Jags. They could "blow Houston off" and the team start looking to the Jags. Ill-prepared, the Texans could give the Colts a real run for the money.

The second time the Texans play them, heck - it's the end of the season and they could be resting Peyton. On the other hand, it is nestled between Cin City and Miami. Again, there is the potential that the Texans could be overlooked.

But I think the Colts are building towards the Jags game, and it being so early in the season, the Texans won't be overlooked. I think the Texans' first win against the Colts will come at home on Christmas Eve.

powerfuldragon
09-12-2006, 10:58 AM
we're going to need to use more rollouts and have a more effective play action game.

SESupergenius
09-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I won't talk smack (Avatar is doing that). But we seemed to have played the Colts well the last few times, maybe they were letting up. Our defense needs to bring something other than towels to wipe off the turf from their faces.

jaayteetx
09-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I hate to say it, and I mean really hate, but we're going to get smoked. Here's to me being wrong. I was last week, so lets go for two in a row!

El Tejano
09-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Let's set the pace and just blitz from beginning to end.

FILO_girl
09-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I find it hard to smack on the Colt fans, as we really have nothing to bring to the table. 0-8 doesn't give you much trolling power. :rolleyes:

If you are in dire need of smack, there is always the familiar foes...Smack a Tack or Nag a Jag. :cool:

DBCooper
09-12-2006, 01:09 PM
I find it hard to smack on the Colt fans, as we really have nothing to bring to the table. 0-8 doesn't give you much trolling power. :rolleyes:

If you are in dire need of smack, there is always the familiar foes...Smack a Tack or Nag a Jag. :cool:

I agree. We have been Peyton's Beeeaaatch our whole existence.
Pretty hard to talk big.

Smack a Tack!

Rightnow
09-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I think the Colts game will be a loss for the Texans barring Peyton going down in the first half.

What is more important is how the team plays and responds after last week. They know that they are 0-8 since the Colts have the Texans' number, and that the shadow of last season's 2-14 lingers over them.

If the Texans play well they should keep victory within one or two scores and show progress with the pass rush, the run game, and fewer mistakes in the secondary. It is also important for Carr to continue to improve, or at least not to regress any. If they do all of that, then the next week agains the Redskins can be a win.

On the other hand, the Texans are young and have a new system. It is entirely possible for them to lay an egg and get blown out 31-7 or such. If that happens I don't see us winning until the Titans game--and even then it won't be a sure thing, the odds are just in our favor.

Kubiak has a tough road ahead of him this season. Several losses are going to take its toll on him and the team. This season will define where the Texans will go for years.

srstex
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM
It seems to me remembering last year is easy when this coaching staff did in the first game what got the last coaching staff fired. If we look at film from the teams that played Indy well, you will see that the teams showed the opposite on the pre-snap read, than what they actually did. Show blitz, back into coverage, show zone, play man, wear a Texans uniform, but still show up and play hard, these kind of things.

BigBull17
09-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Let's set the pace and just blitz from beginning to end.

I agree, they have too many weapons to sit back and cover. Just open up and come from all sides. The teams that do that, the Pats and the Steelers last year in the playoffs, were the ones who beat them. You take your lumps and hope for a mistake.