PDA

View Full Version : McNabb just sat there!

[[Gary Kubiak]]
09-10-2006, 11:42 PM
No Pressure from front 4. #1 pick's bull rush is not working. Payne and the rest of the gang............

Thumbs down! I dont know what to do. Blitz more?

Brandon420tx
09-10-2006, 11:43 PM
]']No Pressure from front 4. #1 pick's bull rush is not working. Payne and the rest of the gang............

Thumbs down! I dont know what to do. Blitz more?

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=436019&postcount=48

texflex513
09-10-2006, 11:44 PM
I didnt see the game today did we blitz any LB's or Safeties at all?

Sarg01
09-10-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't recall seeing any blitzing going on. It was confusing, particularly given that Greenwood and Orr didn't seem to be doing anything ELSE.

blockhead83
09-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Orr got burned several times, he's by far our weakest linebacker, IMO. Maybe we should give Charlie Anderson a shot.

Our pass rush was abysmal. I remember seeing the highlight clips of Mario at NC State against Maryland and seeing him use his great strength/speed combo to come off the edge and nail the QB. I didn't see it at all today. He did get double teamed occasionally, but the rest of the time he seemed like he was trying to just push his man back. I'd like to see him try and use his speed to get around the edge like Peek and Babin were trying to do all game. Richard Smith needs to find something that will work by next Sunday. If you give Peyton that much time, he's going to make McNabb look like Kyle Boller.

infantrycak
09-10-2006, 11:59 PM
He did get double teamed occasionally, but the rest of the time he seemed like he was trying to just push his man back. I'd like to see him try and use his speed to get around the edge like Peek and Babin were trying to do all game.

This is a coaching issue (and something which should be obvious to both Mario and the coaches). Freeney doesn't get to the QB by bulling thru people--he gets there by spin moves, quickness, etc. Mario is not as quick as Freeney but they need to figure out a combo of hit, rip and release to get him in there instead of just bulling his way. His lateral movement is good--he should be able to hit disengage and make plays but he stays locked up too much.

Vinny
09-11-2006, 12:01 AM
This is a coaching issue (and something which should be obvious to both Mario and the coaches). Freeney doesn't get to the QB by bulling thru people--he gets there by spin moves, quickness, etc. Mario is not as quick as Freeney but they need to figure out a combo of hit, rip and release to get him in there instead of just bulling his way. His lateral movement is good--he should be able to hit disengage and make plays but he stays locked up too much.That poster at HPF that everyone jumped on as a moron/troll was pretty much spot-on as Mario played exactly like he said he would.

infantrycak
09-11-2006, 12:06 AM
That poster at HPF that everyone jumped on as a moron/troll was pretty much spot-on as Mario played exactly like he said he would.

While IMO that person has an agenda which has not been revealed he has some points. Mario is a very young player who clearly has the physical talent but needs significant coaching to perform well. IMO this moving all over the line crud and subing in 2nd and 3rd team players early in games is silly. I understand rotating the DL, but Malone shouldn't touch the field in the 1st qtr--guarantee Payne wouldn't say he is tired at that point.

Vinny
09-11-2006, 12:09 AM
IMO this moving all over the line crud and subing in 2nd and 3rd team players early in games is silly. I understand rotating the DL, but Malone shouldn't touch the field in the 1st qtr--guarantee Payne wouldn't say he is tired at that point.I'm not real hip on that either, but he doesn't look like an edge rusher at this point. Perhaps they think he can out quick some Guards and help out while he learns.

Revolution
09-11-2006, 12:10 AM
I understand rotating the DL, but Malone shouldn't touch the field in the 1st qtr--guarantee Payne wouldn't say he is tired at that point.

The point in rotating players is to keep them fresh, not wait until they need to come out for a breather. Philly did the same thing, only they were MUCH more effective (they also have a lot more depth!).

Blake
09-11-2006, 12:11 AM
IMO this moving all over the line crud and subing in 2nd and 3rd team players early in games is silly. I understand rotating the DL, but Malone shouldn't touch the field in the 1st qtr--guarantee Payne wouldn't say he is tired at that point.

Good point. I want to see him at RE, rushing the QB all game long.

Vinny
09-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Good point. I want to see him at RE, rushing the QB all game long.He just doesn't look like a weak side end to me, but your guess is as good as mine at this point...I think that he may be best suited for the LE and the strong side. I'd like to see him stay at one spot and build up a few NFL quality moves and be good at one position before they start moving him all over myself.