PDA

View Full Version : Mario Is A Bust!

Pages : 1 [2]

BattleRedRaider
09-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm going to give him until week four to start showing SOMETHING. If he doesn't do it by them, I'm going to start calling him either Sorryo or Bustio

And I'll be laughing everytime you say "Sorryo" and "Bustio".

dwilt72
09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm going to give him until week four to start showing SOMETHING. If he doesn't do it by them, I'm going to start calling him either Sorryo or Bustio

I like the Sorryo name! Here is a quote from the Chronicle from Kubiak:

"The thing we don't want to lose sight of is that he's very athletic, and when he has a chance to take a gap and create some havoc and get to the quarterback, sometimes I think he gets a little apprehensive, assignment-wise, instead of cutting it loose.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4182838.html

This is exactly what I've thought all along. He is too apprehensive and doesn't seem to be a high motor guy. In college against lesser talented O-Lines, he ate them up and got a lot of sacks. However you put him against guys with similar talent he seems to be just watching the action on the field. They paid a lot of money for him to be a spectator.....shoot pay me that kind of money and I'll watch too!

Dread-Head
09-13-2006, 12:07 PM
God man you're a hard nose ain't cha? I'll admit the kid isn't as aggressive as a DB SHOULD BE at this level. But he'll get there. Besides which, this is the FIRST game of the boy's rookie season. He'll improve.

DH

Nawzer
09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Mario Williams to me is like Yao Ming in his first year with the Rockets. Remember those days? Yao at times was embarassingly bad and I still remember that Marbury crossover on Yao. That was bad. Anyway, Yao also plays a premier position which is the center position. Everyone in the league is looking for a good center just like everyone in the NFL is looking for good DEs. With time we saw Yao improve and it was much much harder for Yao. He came from another country, didn't play college ball, different culture and team mates, different style of ball all together. Compare that to Mario Williams I think Mario is not going to take a long while to develop into the type of player we want him to become. I think it's going to take a bit of time and comparing him to Reggie Bush is completely moronic. They play 2 completely different positions. It's Reggie's job to get yards and score and it's Mario's job to stop that. He didn't have a great first game but it's only his first game! Give him a chance and I think he'll show us why the Texans drafted him. The key is for the Texans to win and I keep saying that. And this is coming from a guy who was in in the pro-Reggie draft camp! :fireball:

phan1
09-13-2006, 10:04 PM
I think one commentator hit the nail on the head when they said he did not have a finesse game whatsoever. He's a DE that looks like he's playing a nose guard out there. What's also disspointing is that great pass rushers have sick speed. I didn't see much speed from Mario last Sun. And it's not something you can really learn. Mario just needs to find his game, and it's just going to take a couple weeks until he finds it.

But the lack of speed really bothers me, as it doesn't look like he can make an instant impact as a speed rusher.

mexican_texan
09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Mario is fast, but like any rookie, he has to work on footwork and technique. Most people don't notice all the minute details of pass rushing, it's not just trying to go around the linemen or push through them.

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I think one commentator hit the nail on the head when they said he did not have a finesse game whatsoever. He's a DE that looks like he's playing a nose guard out there. What's also disspointing is that great pass rushers have sick speed. I didn't see much speed from Mario last Sun. And it's not something you can really learn. Mario just needs to find his game, and it's just going to take a couple weeks until he finds it.

But the lack of speed really bothers me, as it doesn't look like he can make an instant impact as a speed rusher.

I thought Mario showed great speed on a few plays...... he showed great power on a few plays...... I think his problem is more about focus....

I think he looked great for a rookie. This crap about McNabb having all day to throw the ball, I couldn't find one play where McNabb didn't have more than 2.5 seconds to throw the ball, where he didn't scramble to make a play.

As soon as the game was over, that dude on the radio was all..... Mario wasn't doubled at all.. which is also totally false..... all of our guys were doubled at one time or another during the game...

I honestly think McNabb & the Eagles were given a lot of MichaelJordan calls. there was a lot of holding, and blocking in the back, that just went uncalled.

But as for Mario's speed......

Philadelphia Eagles at 00:57
1-10-PHI20 (:57) D.McNabb pass deep middle to D.Stallworth to PHI 43 for 23 yards (D.Ryans). Play Challenged by Review Assistant and Upheld.

On this play, Mario is doubled.
Babin & Peek run around the outside edges... they beat both tackles, pretty badly. Donovan steps into the pocket so he doesn't get hit by either of them.
The right tackle has his hand in Babin's shoulder pad, you can clearly see him leading Babin away from McNabb with this hold, and the way he pulls. kinda slinging Babin away. I can see a ref letting this one go..... it's kinda tickytacky.
Peek beats #88 bad... he pushes peek, both hands in the numbers on the back of Peeks Jersey, definitely should've been called.

1-10-PHI43 (:44) (Shotgun) D.McNabb scrambles left end ran ob at HST 47 for 10 yards (D.Ryans).

Mario plays tackle here. he blows past the LG, and attacks 88. Bullrushes him to the McNabb..... McNabb feels the pressure, and moves up into the pocket.

Babin meanwhile fakes an outside move, then races inside..... he's free to McNabb, but over runs him, he chases McNabb, out of the pocket.

1-10-HOU47 (:35) D.McNabb pass short right to L.Smith to HST 42 for 5 yards (D.Ryans).

Mario was doubled...... Babin gets fooled by LJ's block.... LJ catches this screen(check down)

2-5-HOU42 (:26) D.McNabb pass deep middle to D.Stallworth to HST 5 for 37 yards (D.Robinson).

Mario is doubled by RG & Center. Babin is led around the pocket... Peek is being held by LT.Peek is trying to pull away, as he has position, wants to get McNabb, but the LT has a bunch of jersey.

1-5-HOU5 (:17) D.McNabb pass short left to R.Brown for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

We send a blitz on this one. I think it's Mcleon in the backfield, with a clear shot at McNabb. Mcnabb does his play action thing, when he is face to face with Mcleon, Mcleon freezes, giving McNabb the time to throw his pass to Brown.

We got plenty of pressure on McNabb.... McNabb, like Peyton have the uncanny ability to handle pressure well.

Koolbrz
09-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't think Kubiak is contradicting himself there. & that's exactly what I see with Mario. Whether he was at tackle, or DE, he got into the backfield, but looked lost when he did. He doesn't have the killer instinct...... he should be thinking kill the QB on every down.....

maul the RB if he's in your way...... great if he has the ball, but if he don't oh well..
Sunday, Mario would get in the backfield free, look for the RB, see if he has the ball, then decide what he wants to do.

That isn't going to get it.

Then there were times when he'd lock up with a Tackle, a DE, or a TE, and try to prove that he is stronger of the two....... who cares who's stronger, shuck him off, and proceed to the QB...

He appears to me, to be thinking about the man in front of him. If that man blocks someone other than Mario(because of their scheme) Mario is lost for a second or two, trying to figure out what he wants to do.

Then if he's doubled, he wants to show that he's stronger than the two...... again, who cares.

He needs to forget about that guy in front of him, and keep his eyes in the backfield. Never take his eyes off the QB. Run through the man in front of him, and get the QB.

Babin did this very well... whether he got tied up, or was trying to get around the man in front of him, he's looking at the backfield. he sees the RB running past him, he'll toss the guy he's working on, and get the RB.....

I think Babin again was awesome, he has some improvement to do, but he's going to be an awesome DE.

Mario...... you could see his speed..... when he used his speed. You could see his power...... when he used his power... but he wasn't playing very smart or aggressive. He definitely has the potential to be much better than Babin. But Babin is better than him now, and when those two figure it out, we will have a fearsome D.

I really hate to see say this Thunder, but this Mario dude is a joke. Hell of a number one pick!!! He just plain out looked lost out there. I almost watched the entire game in slow motion keying on him and what i saw was not a very good thing. I hate the fact that now everyone is making excuses about his play. We all just need to accept the fact that he is no where near being the next J. Peppers. He did nothing to impress me in college and he is doing nothing to impress me in the pros. Oh, by the way, we are now scrambling looking for a running back, picking up everyone elses left overs. Not a good thing when we could have had RB, Deangelo Williams, maybe even Maroney, but hey what do i know about football right? One thing is for sure "Mario Is Not The Man" Dont get me wrong i would love for him to dominate and be a Beast on defense, i just dont see it. He does not have the same fire Ryans has. He is a Rookie also, by the way.

thunderkyss
09-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I really hate to see say this Thunder, but this Mario dude is a joke. Hell of a number one pick!!! He just plain out looked lost out there. I almost watched the entire game in slow motion keying on him and what i saw was not a very good thing. I hate the fact that now everyone is making excuses about his play. We all just need to accept the fact that he is no where near being the next J. Peppers. He did nothing to impress me in college and he is doing nothing to impress me in the pros. Oh, by the way, we are now scrambling looking for a running back, picking up everyone elses left overs. Not a good thing when we could have had RB, Deangelo Williams, maybe even Maroney, but hey what do i know about football right? One thing is for sure "Mario Is Not The Man" Dont get me wrong i would love for him to dominate and be a Beast on defense, i just dont see it. He does not have the same fire Ryans has. He is a Rookie also, by the way.

I bet he sacks Manning..... would that make everything okay??

I'm not making excuses for him. what you quoted, is me saying where he screwed up.

The post above yours, is where I'm pointing out him being doubled on every play of a particular series.

I'll make excuses for him later on in the year.... about why he can't snoop out a screen or something.

But I truly think he is everything we thought he was, and he will be everything we hope......

phan1
09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Nice post Thunderkyss (the analysis one). You definitely now how to use your Tivo don't you? LOL Yeah, Mcnabb's pocket presence is really awsome now that he's much older and mature. I'd say he's the best QB in the league after Manning, with Palmer not far behind.

texan279
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
I bet he sacks Manning..... would that make everything okay??

I'm not making excuses for him. what you quoted, is me saying where he screwed up.

The post above yours, is where I'm pointing out him being doubled on every play of a particular series.

I'll make excuses for him later on in the year.... about why he can't snoop out a screen or something.

But I truly think he is everything we thought he was, and he will be everything we hope......

It seems Mario could sack Manning 10 times and Bush could rush for -100 yards and people would still be calling Mario a bust and still cry about not taking Bush.

real
09-14-2006, 08:59 AM
It seems Mario could sack Manning 10 times and Bush could rush for -100 yards and people would still be calling Mario a bust and still cry about not taking Bush.

how does it seem like that ? Be honest with yourslef...Bush was a great RB coming out and most people didn't know who Mario was...If you weren't a Texan fan, or even if you were a casual fan, you would probably think the same thing...get over it....Bush is going to recieve the hype and IMO, he deserves it....He won the Heisman, two national championships..and on and on...Mario hasn't accomplished as much and he's a DE...We know Mario was the best move for us...all this whining and complaining about Bush has just passed ridiculous and is on it's way to looneyville....give...it...a....rest

texan279
09-14-2006, 09:06 AM
how does it seem like that ? Be honest with yourslef...Bush was a great RB coming out and most people didn't know who Mario was...If you weren't a Texan fan, or even if you were a casual fan, you would probably think the same thing...get over it....Bush is going to recieve the hype and IMO, he deserves it....He won the Heisman, two national championships..and on and on...Mario hasn't accomplished as much and he's a DE...We know Mario was the best move for us...all this whining and complaining about Bush has just passed ridiculous and is on it's way to looneyville....give...it...a....rest

Get over what? That the majority of the board jumped off the Bush wagon and onto the Mario wagon after we drafted Mario but now after one game everyone is ready to jump back on the Bush wagon? And for the record I didn't whine about anything, all I did was state my opinion. You are the one who seems to have the problem when someone mentions Bush in a negative light.

real
09-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Get over what? That the majority of the board jumped off the Bush wagon and onto the Mario wagon after we drafted Mario but now after one game everyone is ready to jump back on the Bush wagon? And for the record I didn't whine about anything, all I did was state my opinion. You are the one who seems to have the problem when someone mentions Bush in a negative light.

I am just tired of the Bush bashing....This is a Texans board...Bush plays for the Saints...yet in every thread someone brings up his name..most of the time negatively....I don't know how "most of the board" feels about Bush...and honestly I don't care...it's just so annoying to see...why do they love bush, Bush sucks, He hasn't proven anything...waaaahhhhh waaahhhhh....every where you turn...get over it...thats all i'm saying...It is what it is....He deserves more publicity than Mario at this point...Don't be mad at Bush....Root for Mario...

texan279
09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I am just tired of the Bush bashing....This is a Texans board...Bush plays for the Saints...yet in every thread someone brings up his name..most of the time negatively....I don't know how "most of the board" feels about Bush...and honestly I don't care...it's just so annoying to see...why do they love bush, Bush sucks, He hasn't proven anything...waaaahhhhh waaahhhhh....every where you turn...get over it...thats all i'm saying...It is what it is....He deserves more publicity than Mario at this point...Don't be mad at Bush....Root for Mario...

I never said anything negative about Bush, just stated an opinion. I'm not mad at anyone. And so who cares who says what about Bush? People can say whatever they want here as long as it is not vulgar, we all have opinions and we can post them. And honestly I have not seen anyone whine about Bush, but even if they do who cares? If you don't like reading people's opinions about him or if people's opinion's anger you that much about him I don't know what to tell you.

real
09-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I never said anything negative about Bush, just stated an opinion. I'm not mad at anyone. And so who cares who says what about Bush? People can say whatever they want here as long as it is not vulgar, we all have opinions and we can post them. And honestly I have not seen anyone whine about Bush, but even if they do who cares? If you don't like reading people's opinions about him or if people's opinion's anger you that much about him I don't know what to tell you.

:ok:

Porky
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
For those of you downplaying Bush's performance, you do realize that he had the most yards from scrimmage in his first pro game since Marcus Allen in 1982. Call a spade a spade. We blew it. We are now the laughingstock of the NFL, and we should be.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
For those of you downplaying Bush's performance, you do realize that he had the most yards from scrimmage in his first pro game since Marcus Allen in 1982. Call a spade a spade. We blew it. We are now the laughingstock of the NFL, and we should be.

Why isn't anyone talking about Maroney of the Pats? He had more "all purpose" yards than Bush did. This Bush talk is getting rediculous.:brickwall

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NE
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NO

Porky
09-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Why isn't anyone talking about Maroney of the Pats? He had more "all purpose" yards than Bush did. This Bush talk is getting rediculous.:brickwall

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NE
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NO

Maroney had a very good game as well. I think that was a great pick by NE, and I was high on him as well coming out. But, it is a bit of apples and oranges in comparison. Much more of his yardage was return yardage. And kickoff return yardage at that, which will inflate his numbers some. Bush had the better game. Let's look at non-return yardage:

Maroney -
17 rushes for 86 yards
0 catches for 0 yards
86 total yards

Bush -
15 rushes for 67 yards
7 catches for 52 yards
119 total yards

Txn_in_Oki
09-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Maroney had a very good game as well. I think that was a great pick by NE, and I was high on him as well coming out. But, it is a bit of apples and oranges in comparison. Much more of his yardage was return yardage. And kickoff return yardage at that, which will inflate his numbers some. Bush had the better game. Let's look at non-return yardage:

Maroney -
17 rushes for 86 yards
0 catches for 0 yards
86 total yards

Bush -
15 rushes for 67 yards
7 catches for 52 yards
119 total yards

But he still had 19 more yards on only 2 more carries. If you break it down even futher to only rushing yards then Maroney had the better game.

Right?

I just think the constant Bush stuff is getting tedious. The fans are just feeding off the media hype and letting it get to them. The problem I have is with the people who are screaming bust after only one game. Gimme a break.

Let.
It.
Go.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Maroney -
17 rushes for 86 yards
0 catches for 0 yards
86 total yards

Bush -
15 rushes for 67 yards
7 catches for 52 yards
119 total yards

I see your point. I just like the way Maroney runs with the ball. I watched the replay on NFL Network and really noticed how he looked so mature with the football. Holding the ball correctly, switching arms with the ball when needed. I think he's going to be a really good back for years to come.:twocents:

real
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
:tease:

thunderkyss
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM

I really don't think it was poor performance by Mario that sparked this Mario hate. I think it was the fact that we lost, and we can't(I can) blame David. Then with all we're hearing about our running game....... we came out flat. Never mind the fact that we didn't run much zone blocking for whatever reason. Then David get's sacked 4 times(tripped once)....

McNabb slid behind the LOS outside the tackles, but nobody's criticizing him, because he won...

When we drafted Mario, we knew this was what we were going to get here on the board. We talked about it.. & now we're getting it.

Porky
09-14-2006, 11:32 AM
But he still had 19 more yards on only 2 more carries. If you break it down even futher to only rushing yards then Maroney had the better game.

Right?

I just think the constant Bush stuff is getting tedious. The fans are just feeding off the media hype and letting it get to them. The problem I have is with the people who are screaming bust after only one game. Gimme a break.

Let.
It.
Go.

The difference is that Bush was there for the taking. We would have had to swing a deal to get Maroney, as taking him first would have been a major reach given the known factors at the time. Apples and oranges. Oh, and BTW, you better get used to it.

srstex
09-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Just read the article on the texans sight and found some interesting stuff, The Texans have gained the most yards on the ground then the other opponents, against the Colts and have lost 8 in a row, the Colts had about the same on the ground last week as we did and they won, the Giants ran the ball more than us and the Colts and lost to the Colts. So when anyone says that we need to run to be able to pass, thay're giving an opinion not a fact. I think too many people follow what some great coaches have said, but even Bill Parcells, who lives and dies by the run, had Bledsoe-in the Patriot days- throw the ball some 60+ times to get a win. Losing taste bad, not trying to win with what works taste worse.

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Just read the article on the texans sight and found some interesting stuff, The Texans have gained the most yards on the ground then the other opponents, against the Colts and have lost 8 in a row, the Colts had about the same on the ground last week as we did and they won, the Giants ran the ball more than us and the Colts and lost to the Colts. So when anyone says that we need to run to be able to pass, thay're giving an opinion not a fact. I think too many people follow what some great coaches have said, but even Bill Parcells, who lives and dies by the run, had Bledsoe-in the Patriot days- throw the ball some 60+ times to get a win. Losing taste bad, not trying to win with what works taste worse.

I believe in the offensive scheme we now use, the pass is set up by the running game. Plat action passing and the Bootleg are both set up by the run. :twocents:

real
09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I believe in the offensive scheme we now use, the pass is set up by the running game. Plat action passing and the Bootleg are both set up by the run. :twocents:

Thats true...but when you are playing against good DE's the bootleg will be taken away like it was last sunday...

HOU-TEX
09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Thats true...but when you are playing against good DE's the bootleg will be taken away like it was last sunday...

You don't think it was taken away due to the lack of running well? If we were running the ball like we are supposed to, I believe the bootleg that Kearse foiled would've been avoided.:twocents:

Porky
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
What does any of this have to do with Mario Williams? Let's get back to talking about how much he sucks! :bananasplit:

real
09-14-2006, 12:08 PM
You don't think it was taken away due to the lack of running well? If we were running the ball like we are supposed to, I believe the bootleg that Kearse foiled would've been avoided.:twocents:

Running well will only greatly affect the linebackers and safeties on the bootleg...They knew we were a bootleg running team so they probably told their DE's to stay home when they see runs away instead of coming down the line...A good DE who knows we run bootlegs is going to stay home and make sure the QB doesn't have the ball...The only way he may start crashing is if we are absolutely gashing, but even then i'd be surprised to see a good DE leave his responsibility and just sprint down the line....If we weren't a bootleg team Kearse would have come down the line regardless of how well we were running the ball ,just to try and get a tackle...

Texans Front Row Crew
09-14-2006, 01:01 PM
For a more recient comparison, hows about Julius Peppers 1st game as a rookie. Humm...............ONE ASSISTED TACKLE!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302214/gamelogs/2002

M. Williams 2 Tackles 1 assist.

Compair apples to apples PEOPLE!!!!

I really don't like haters.... give the guy a season to figure it out. He is a rookie (21 years old). How were you like at 21.

real
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I really don't like haters.... give the guy a season to figure it out. He is a rookie (21 years old). How were you like at 21.

I will find out in 6 days!!!!

Texans Front Row Crew
09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
I will find out in 6 days!!!!

You know you 21 when you can pay for beer with a Credit Card:shots:

Does anyone know how Jevon Kearse did his first game (1999?). I know he won ROY and had 14+ SACKS. But I can't find the first game info????

I didn't know he (Jevon) was related to P-buc.

Mr. White
09-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Somebody probably knows better than me...weren't the defenses already set when Kearse, Peppers, and Freeney were drafted?

Seems like all 3 teams already had good defenses. To add a big pass-rusher to an established defense might give him more opportunities.

El Tejano
09-14-2006, 01:34 PM
As far as Kearse goes, no the defense was not that good. Gary Walker was just another DL and the LB crew of guys like Eddie Robinson and Joe Bowden.

Mr. White
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
As far as Kearse goes, no the defense was not that good. Gary Walker was just another DL and the LB crew of guys like Eddie Robinson and Joe Bowden.

Seems to me like the defense wasn't in a rebuilding mode then. They at least had a system there that they'd been using for years.

I could be wrong...I wasn't following the Titans too closely back then. The extent of it for me was rooting against them in the playoffs.

infantrycak
09-14-2006, 02:49 PM

Gary Walker left for Jax in 1999. The D wasn't great, but it wasn't anything like what has been here. 1998 the Titans went 8-8 and then 13-3 in 1999.

Honoring Earl 34
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
:wild: Well then the question is ... will the defense take off as Mario takes off or will Mario take off as the defense takes off ?

South Texan
09-14-2006, 04:33 PM
:wild: Well then the question is ... will the defense take off as Mario takes off or will Mario take off as the defense takes off ?

Yes.

Koolbrz
09-14-2006, 06:51 PM

I would love to root for Mario....If he only gave us SOMETHING to root about. I don't mean to bring up Bush at all, i would have been very happy with DeAngelo or Maroney at running back. Instead we go after this guy because we can, SIGN HIM BEFORE TRAINING CAMP, and not because of what he can do. We are really hurting at the RB position right now and a fresh couple of them legs i mentioned would have been nice to have on this team. Instead we are trading players for other players other teams dont want...lol. I said it a few mths back, The RB position was gonna be our achilles heel, and here we are. Oh well, we can all sit around now and watch our running game go to hell, oh and watch Mario get smacked around all season long too. I Love this freakin team, I just dont agree with that damn #1 pick and the players that we are putting in at RB.

TexanBronco
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
OK....I drank the kool aid when we drafted Mario thinking he might be a stud. The first mistake of the new coaching staff. HE HAS NOT DONE ONE THING TO IMPRESS, and our defense gave up over 400 yards. Nice F%$#ing game Texans. We look like last seasonm. TEERRIBLE!

0-6 here we come

Ok thats a real set of stats to say that he is/will be a bust LAFAO but anyways do you think its all Marios fault that we gave up 400 yards? and another thing its one game chillout people :taz:

Wolf
09-14-2006, 07:20 PM

Maroney -
17 rushes for 86 yards
0 catches for 0 yards
86 total yards

Bush -
15 rushes for 67 yards
7 catches for 52 yards
119 total yards

in all fairness anyone can juggle the numbers to prove a point.Bush was know for coming out of college as a triple threat whether receiving,returning and rushing.. plain and simple..

I am not arguing with your point but that those 3 things in college is what made everyone love Bush.

thunderkyss
09-15-2006, 07:18 AM
I would love to root for Mario....If he only gave us SOMETHING to root about. I don't mean to bring up Bush at all, i would have been very happy with DeAngelo or Maroney at running back. Instead we go after this guy because we can, SIGN HIM BEFORE TRAINING CAMP, and not because of what he can do. We are really hurting at the RB position right now and a fresh couple of them legs i mentioned would have been nice to have on this team. Instead we are trading players for other players other teams dont want...lol. I said it a few mths back, The RB position was gonna be our achilles heel, and here we are. Oh well, we can all sit around now and watch our running game go to hell, oh and watch Mario get smacked around all season long too. I Love this freakin team, I just dont agree with that damn #1 pick and the players that we are putting in at RB.

2 tackles, 1 assist for a rookie DE, I think, is about the same as 150 yards from scrimage for a rookie RB.

No doubt 150 yards isn't an every day occurence, but it isn't exactly rare in the NFL. In Domanick Davis' first start, he ran for 129 yards, and recieved another 70 yards. I don't know what he did in the return game(or if he was even used)..... He did it 6 times in his second year, once going over 200 yards total against the Colts.

Now if that were 150 yards with a touchdown....... that would have definitely been better. 150 yards with a win.... looks better, but when our offense only scored 10 points......

200 yards from scrimmage...... would've been "amazing"....... and definitely better than 2 tackles, 1 Assist.

But what they did, I think is about equal.

PhnzUp
09-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Mario a bust after ONE NFL regular season game. Guess Wali Lundy and Owen Daniels ought to be put on the practice squad too? Come on. Our team will be lucky to come out of the first half of the season with 2 wins. Look for a 2nd half where it starts coming together. Then a decent draft of skill players, and secondary. Watch this team mature and kick butt in '08. We're having a NFL mulligan here. 4-12 in 2006, 7-9 in '07, 11-5 and a playoff team in 2008.

COME ON SUNDAY!

goodnews boy
09-15-2006, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=Koolbrz] Instead we go after this guy because we can, SIGN HIM BEFORE TRAINING CAMP, and not because of what he can do...[QUOTE=Koolbrz]

I don't know if you know this but Williams was rated a few points below Bush by most teams . So he should not have been a bad choice.

[QUOTE=Koolbrz] We are really hurting at the RB position right now and a fresh couple of them legs i mentioned would have been nice to have on this team. Instead we are trading players for other players other teams dont want...lol. I said it a few mths back, The RB position was gonna be our achilles heel, and here we are. Oh well, we can all sit around now and watch our running game go to hell, oh and watch Mario get smacked around all season long too. I Love this freakin team, I just dont agree with that damn #1 pick and the players that we are putting in at RB[QUOTE=Koolbrz]

We didn't know Davis would be out for the season. Davis was a top 15 fantasy draft choice. most people believe he is a great back

real
09-15-2006, 08:18 AM
We are really hurting at the RB position right now and a fresh couple of them legs i mentioned would have been nice to have on this team. Instead we are trading players for other players other teams dont want...lol. I said it a few mths back, The RB position was gonna be our achilles heel, and here we are. Oh well, we can all sit around now and watch our running game go to hell, oh and watch Mario get smacked around all season long too. I Love this freakin team, I just dont agree with that damn #1 pick and the players that we are putting in at RB

Thats what a trade is...You are trading a player that you think you can do without in order to get someone who you think will help you more....

RiotCommander
09-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Why are we giving Mario such a hard time after one game? Carr was drafted #1 overall too. He is just now starting to come around. I don't suggest that we just wait years and years, but we really should relax.

I see whats fueling this sentiment that Mario is a bust. Bush fans who feel cheated want to vent about the decision. Just realize that neither player is right now what they will be in three years. Also, like it or not Mario is our player, and we should support him.

I was not for drafting Mario, but I will support him as long as he has that jersey on.

Anyway thats my view on all this... Feel free to flame away. Go Texans!

Koolbrz
09-16-2006, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=Koolbrz] Instead we go after this guy because we can, SIGN HIM BEFORE TRAINING CAMP, and not because of what he can do...[QUOTE=Koolbrz]

I don't know if you know this but Williams was rated a few points below Bush by most teams . So he should not have been a bad choice.

[QUOTE=Koolbrz] We are really hurting at the RB position right now and a fresh couple of them legs i mentioned would have been nice to have on this team. Instead we are trading players for other players other teams dont want...lol. I said it a few mths back, The RB position was gonna be our achilles heel, and here we are. Oh well, we can all sit around now and watch our running game go to hell, oh and watch Mario get smacked around all season long too. I Love this freakin team, I just dont agree with that damn #1 pick and the players that we are putting in at RB[QUOTE=Koolbrz]
We didn't know Davis would be out for the season. Davis was a top 15 fantasy draft choice. most people believe he is a great back

In all honesty dude, i believe Mario was overrated in college and Anyone could have seen the writing on the wall concerning DD. I have said it since before the draft that we needed to draft a top RB, dont believe me look at some of my past posts. In regards to Mario, he really did not do anything in college and he really wont do anything in the NFL. I have seen a few games that he played in, in college and they were standing him up at the line of scrimmage the way he is bein stood up now. I believe we paid to damn much money for what we are getting. J. Pep he will never come close to being. I would rather the Texans have traded down and picked up Deangelo Williams and maybe a veteran or two...you know maybe like a cornerback or something, but then again what do i know. I agree with you about DD. He was a great RB, just to bad he was not very durable. His days are over as an NFL rb. Hate to say it dude, but we are now stuck with scrubs at the running back position and a scrub for a number 1 pick.

Koolbrz
09-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Thats what a trade is...You are trading a player that you think you can do without in order to get someone who you think will help you more....

Come on Dude...Samkon Gado...give me a break. If they were serious about bringing in a RB they should go after someone like Thomas Jones maybe. Anyone can be had for the right price. They just need to know how to play there cards right. Samkon is damaged goods also...had a knee injury to end his season last yr also, did he not.

texan279
09-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Come on Dude...Samkon Gado...give me a break. If they were serious about bringing in a RB they should go after someone like Thomas Jones maybe. Anyone can be had for the right price. They just need to know how to play there cards right. Samkon is damaged goods also...had a knee injury to end his season last yr also, did he not.

Yeah and if the running game is as bad against Indy as it was last week are we going to turn around and trade Gado for another RB?

Hervoyel
09-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Maybe we will ;) Wonder who else is out there we could give a one week audition to?

Tomorrow the running game will look a lot more like it did in the preseason. I bet it would look better even if we hadn't traded for Gado. Philly and Indy are completely different animals on defense. The Colts defense can definitely pressure David Carr and our line will have it's hands full trying to protect him. What the Colts defense can't do is stop the running game. The Giants had over 400 yards of offense on Indy last week and almost two hundred of it was on the ground.

We'll run on Indianapolis.

thunderkyss
09-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Paging mario Williams.....Paging Mario Williams

Come in Mario Williams

The Giants have played the Eagles, and the Colts......
The Texans have played the Eagles, and the Colts.....

Why don't you tell us how Michael Strahan did in those games compared to Mario Williams in those games...........

hmm??

texan279
09-18-2006, 07:37 AM
The Giants have played the Eagles, and the Colts......
The Texans have played the Eagles, and the Colts.....

Why don't you tell us how Michael Strahan did in those games compared to Mario Williams in those games...........

hmm??

Nine tackles and zero sacks.

real
09-18-2006, 07:58 AM
At this point it's not really fair to compare Mario Vs. Strahan....Strahan has been in the leauge for years and Mario is just a rookie....I think the problem most people have with Mario is that he hasn't looked good...We know Strahan is better than Mario...We know Strahan at this point is a better pass rusher than Mario...because both of them have 0 sacks means nothing.....The problem I have with Mario is this....Our defense is lacking talent on all levels...D-line, LB, and DB's....now having said that, Mario hasn't stood out what so ever and I believe that if we take someone with the number 1 overall pick, and put him on a defense pretty much filled with scrubs, he should atleast stand out some what from the bunch...he hasn't...He has just come in and fit right in...I know Travis Johnson, and Babin have more experience than Mario, but they look much better...With the "physical tools" Mario has, IMO, it shouldn't be too difficult for him to have made some kind of statement in these past 2 games....and I recognize it's only been two games, but I haven't seen Mario do much of anything....He's strong...he's fast...he's quick....But when is he going to start coming off the ball...when is he going to get his pad level down...when is he going to start looking like a beast ? I'm not asking for d.r.o.y...I just want Mario to show some signs, and thus far he hasn't....I am really hoping Mario turns out the way he is supposed to but right now he and the rest of the rag tag bunch haven't been giving us much to be optimistic about...

New_Texans
09-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Why do people do this?

Its 2 games and mario almost b*tch slapped Peyton.

Honoring Earl 34
09-18-2006, 08:04 AM
It took Strahan 2 or 3 years to become the Michael Strahan of today .

Mr. White
09-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Why do people do this?

Its 2 games and mario almost b*tch slapped Peyton.

I don't think some people watched the same game we were. He was up in Manning's grille all day.

Mr. White
09-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Last week- 2 tackles.
This week- 5 tackles.

Looks like improvement to me. I don't think we can ask for much more. It's like having a bad defense is something new around here.

Honoring Earl 34
09-18-2006, 08:08 AM
How many sacks would Mario have if he played the Texans ?

New_Texans
09-18-2006, 08:13 AM
How many sacks would Mario have if he played the Texans ?

3 no doubt about it...then people would be like..."why didnt we draft him, Reggie Bush/Vince Young is a bust" Go drink your beer and eat your brauts so-called Texans fan.

real
09-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Last week- 2 tackles.
This week- 5 tackles.

Looks like improvement to me. I don't think we can ask for much more. It's like having a bad defense is something new around here.

Im not sure where you get your stats from...but NFL.com has him down for 5 total over the course of these 2 games....Mario had 2 tackles this past game....

And about your little note at the bottom of the screen....You are right...our defense is horrible....thats the problem I have....If our defense is so horrible, why doesn't Mario stand out ?

Mr. White
09-18-2006, 08:16 AM
And about your little note at the bottom of the screen....You are right...our defense is horrible....thats the problem I have....If our defense is so horrible, why doesn't Mario stand out ?

What should he do...drop back into coverage?

New_Texans
Im not sure where you get your stats from...but NFL.com has him down for 5 total over the course of these 2 games....Mario had 2 tackles this past game....

Because, hes a rookie who is getting double and triple teamed not to mention he doesnt have to basic skills that a DE like strahan would have at this moment.

real

He has before...

real
09-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Because, hes a rookie who is getting double and triple teamed not to mention he doesnt have to basic skills that a DE like strahan would have at this moment.

He is not getting double and tripple teamed...That is something that has been repeated over and over again, and now people think it's a fact...He probably has been double teamed before...not on a regular basis, and I never recall him being tripple teamed....I'll put it this way...He hasn't been shown anymore attention(on the field) than any elite DE at this moment...Why would they ? he hasn't proven himself yet....

And you are right...he shouldn't even be compared to Strahan...I never did that...I am not a stat person, so I could care less how many tackles Mario had...I think Manny Lawson has a sack...first of his career...doesn't mean he's better than Strahan, or Mario for that matter.....Mario hasn't looked impressive in real time and thats a problem...I have seen positives from him, but that is after I have watched the game again, looking specifically at him...I think Mario will get better but I will reserve my judgement for how much better...

real
09-18-2006, 08:25 AM

He hasn't even stood out amongst the D-lineman....Lets wait till he becomes our best D-lineman, and then we'll worry about him being our best defender...

New_Texans
09-18-2006, 08:29 AM
He is not getting double and tripple teamed...That is something that has been repeated over and over again, and now people think it's a fact...He probably has been double teamed before...not on a regular basis, and I never recall him being tripple teamed....I'll put it this way...He hasn't been shown anymore attention(on the field) than any elite DE at this moment...Why would they ? he hasn't proven himself yet....

And you are right...he shouldn't even be compared to Strahan...I never did that...I am not a stat person, so I could care less how many tackles Mario had...I think Manny Lawson has a sack...first of his career...doesn't mean he's better than Strahan, or Mario for that matter.....Mario hasn't looked impressive in real time and thats a problem...I have seen positives from him, but that is after I have watched the game again, looking specifically at him...I think Mario will get better but I will reserve my judgement for how much better...

If you saw the HEY Rookie Welcome to the NFL doc, you could tell that Mario had alot of learning to do. He didnt know the "swim" move properly and he was just use to running over people. In college he was a man among boys, his strenght dwarfed the other OL men he went against. In the NFL those Olinemen are as strong if not stronger. Be patient!!! for crying out loud! it will take time, and I absolutly hate how everyone expected him to be Shaun Merriman all the sudden.

DEs take longer than LBs to look impressive because DE are not going to be in every single play.

Mario will have his sack next week but we wont see him be amazing (well as amazing as a rookie can be) until later on in the season. Just be patient!!!!!!! HES A ROOKIE!!!!!!!!

real
09-18-2006, 08:37 AM
DEs take longer than LBs to look impressive because DE are not going to be in every single play.

Mario will have his sack next week but we wont see him be amazing until later on in the season. Just be patient!!!!!!! HES A ROOKIE!!!!!!!!

I respect your opinion...And I never expected Mario to come out and make a bunch of plays...I never expected Mario to be a superstar from day 1...but what I did expect I haven't seen....I expected a player who knew how to play football...Mario comes off the ball high, has no moves, and tries to use strength and speed all the time...I haven't seen any instincts...I basically haven't seen anything that a 3rd or 4th round DE couldn't have done...and I know he will get better as the season progresses...but at this point I am wondering how much better...the only difference between Mario and some other DE's that were in the draft were his measurables...Hopefully our coaches can translate that into on the field production...

New_Texans
09-18-2006, 08:40 AM
I respect your opinion...And I never expected Mario to come out and make a bunch of plays...I never expected Mario to be a superstar from day 1...but what I did expect I haven't seen....I expected a player who knew how to play football...Mario comes off the ball high, has no moves, and tries to use strength and speed all the time...I haven't seen any instincts...I basically haven't seen anything that a 3rd or 4th round DE couldn't have done...and I know he will get better as the season progresses...but at this point I am wondering how much better...the only difference between Mario and some other DE's that were in the draft were his measurables...Hopefully our coaches can translate that into on the field production...

Well, thats what happens when you can dominate in college by just bull rushing the OL that he was facing. Its the "If it aint broke then dont fix it" rule. Now, since he is in the NFL it the "Its not really broken but you must make improvements then dont fix it" rule.

Bsacamano
09-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't think some people watched the same game we were. He was up in Manning's grille all day.

Ummm....yeah, that's why Peyton had over 400 yards passing

Thanks for playing

Mr. White
09-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Ummm....yeah, that's why Peyton had over 400 yards passing

Thanks for playing

I didn't say he sacked him.

Sorry that you didn't see what I saw. I saw him put pressure on the QB.

A TV broadcast pretty much just follows the ball. You can't really see what's going on in the trenches by watching the game on TV....you didn't see anything...I did.

Peyton had over 400 yards passing because the DB's gave it to him.

Bsacamano
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I was watching Mario on EVERY play. He got within sniffing distance a couple of times, but NEVER put "pressure" on Manning

real
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
I didn't say he sacked him.

Sorry that you didn't see what I saw. I saw him put pressure on the QB.

A TV broadcast pretty much just follows the ball. You can't really see what's going on in the trenches by watching the game on TV....you didn't see anything...I did.
Peyton had over 400 yards passing because the DB's gave it to him.

So he got pressure after the ball was thrown ??? :francis: :homer:

real
09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
I was watching Mario on EVERY play. He got within sniffing distance a couple of times, but NEVER put "pressure" on Manning

ehhh...thats not true either...he actually hit manning on one play a long with another Texan...

Mr. White
09-18-2006, 09:38 AM

Maybe your CBS broadcast is different than mine. Mine shows where the ball's going, so I can't really focus too much on how a lineman plays. If I'm at the game, I can focus on one guy that doesn't get the ball.

Looked like pressure to me. :twocents:

real
09-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Maybe your CBS broadcast is different than mine. Mine shows where the ball's going, so I can't really focus too much on how a lineman plays. If I'm at the game, I can focus on one guy that doesn't get the ball.

Looked like pressure to me. :twocents:

What you're saying makes no sense...the QB has the ball until he throws it...The Camera is on the QB until he throws it...therefore we can see the QB, and DL until he throws the ball..am I missing something ?:tease:

Mr. White
09-18-2006, 09:46 AM
So he got pressure after the ball was thrown ??? :francis: :homer:

Go watch the game again.

Call me a homer all you want. Maybe I am. I can deal with the fact that we didn't take Reggie Bush in the draft. I'm not going to judge the guy that we did draft by the same standard that he gets judged.

You can turn up every Monday saying "Mario didn't do this, Mario didn't do that."
All I'm hearing is "Mario isn't Reggie Bush."

Bsacamano
09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Still bent over the reggie bush thing? I knew if reggie played against a real team he wouldnt do so well. He had like six carrries and five yards in the last game. :crutch:

Nope.....I just want to see SOMETHING from the guy who we picked #1 overall and gave a $54 Million contract too

chuckm
09-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Nope.....I just want to see SOMETHING from the guy who we picked #1 overall and gave a $54 Million contract too

then you'll probably want to cut holes in your paper bag, Champ ....

Bsacamano
09-18-2006, 10:48 AM
then you'll probably want to cut holes in your paper bag, Champ ....

LOL....yes, I think that would help

powerfuldragon
09-18-2006, 10:49 AM
this thread is wah-mazing.

chuckm
09-18-2006, 10:50 AM
LOL....yes, I think that would help

My post wasn't meant to make you laugh .... it was meant to show the hypocrisy in posting that you'll be wearing a paper bag (in another thread) and then that you want to see ..... nevermind :cool:

BigSaint8050
09-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Still bent over the reggie bush thing? I knew if reggie played against a real team he wouldnt do so well. He had like six carrries and five yards in the last game. :crutch:

How bout the 8 receptions for 68 yards and some critical 3rd down conversions?

dantem
09-18-2006, 11:32 AM

Lets face it ...

Bush and Mario and most of the other first round picks played like rookies in there first 2 games. (imagine that!) The only difference is the Saints played 2 struggling teams. and the Texans played 2 playoff level teams.

Give it half of a season and then we can do the almost rediculous comparisons between a DE and a RB.

Bsacamano
09-18-2006, 11:32 AM
My post wasn't meant to make you laugh .... it was meant to show the hypocrisy in posting that you'll be wearing a paper bag (in another thread) and then that you want to see ..... nevermind :cool:

There is nothing hypoctrical about it... the fact that he hasn't shown squat doesn't mean that I won't be rooting for him or this team. They are an embarasssment

Honoring Earl 34
09-18-2006, 11:37 AM
:fireball: You got yourself a fine WR.

DocBar
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
:fireball: You got yourself a fine WR.
And let a better one(Stallworth) go. I think Mario is doing OK for a guy w/ 2 games under his belt. He had the gumption to ask the coaches to let him stay at DE and quit moving him. Pretty ballsy for a guy with the weight if the Texans world on his shoulders. He also has only 1 move-the speed rush. Pretty common for rookie DE's to need time to develope a repitoire of moves after being THE stud in college and "a man among boys" at that level. i bet all you doom and gloom "Mario's a bust" guys were just perfect when you got your 1st job in your chosen career. Have some perspective and patience. And RB ain't exactly tearing it up, so 'nuff of THAT stuff.

thunderkyss
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM

Stallworth would've had almost 200 yards on 8 catches...... but if you're happy with your trade off......... :ok:

DominickDavisFan76
09-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I dont know why u all are judging Mario's performance on every play, I mean, he got pressure on Peyton Manning, and that is what he is supposed to do, just because Peyton threw for 400 yards doesn't mean that is his fault, He isnt a DB, so as far as I am concerned, once the ball is thrown, whether it is caught or tipped or intercepted, or anything.....that part isn't Mario's Problem!

I'm just waiting for his first sack....

BigSaint8050
09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
I love how some fans will lie to themselves just to make them feel better about their team. I keep hearing everyone compare him to Peppers. Yeah Peppers had a bad 1st game, 1 assisted tackle, but went off in his second game with 5 tackles and 3 sacks. Remember Peppers had 12 sacks in 12 games his rookie year.

I am not saying Bush is the greatest player of all time, but has made a contribution to both wins this season. Running they have used him as basically a decoy, but have really utilized him in the passing game. He has converted 10 1st downs in two games. That says alot.

BigSaint8050
09-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Stallworth would've had almost 200 yards on 8 catches...... but if you're happy with your trade off......... :ok:

Whats Stallworth have to do with Bush? Stallworth was traded because they thought 7th round draft pick Colston could handle the job. Btw, Colston has caught 8 balls for 102 yards and 2 TD's. They also got MLB Simoneau in the trade, who has started both games at MLBer for us.

I am not saying Mario is a bust, but you can no way be happy about his performance thus far, I don't care how big of a homer you claim to be.

real
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I love how some fans will lie to themselves just to make them feel better about their team. I keep hearing everyone compare him to Peppers. Yeah Peppers had a bad 1st game, 1 assisted tackle, but went off in his second game with 5 tackles and 3 sacks. Remember Peppers had 12 sacks in 12 games his rookie year.

I am not saying Bush is the greatest player of all time, but has made a contribution to both wins this season. Running they have used him as basically a decoy, but have really utilized him in the passing game. He has converted 10 1st downs in two games. That says alot.

We've been through this 2059621059626571687661376873637 times.....and counting....

Why are we still comparing RB and MW ???

What does one players success have to do with another players success ?

Mario was the better pick for us, and RB was the better pick for you all...period...

Reggie isn't better than Mario and Mario isn't better than Reggie...

I honestly hope both are great players, but It seems like all saint fans want to do is boast about some early success...Other fans come here to talk football and most Saint fans just talk about Bush...Man ya'll got him...hooray...:shoot:

real
09-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Whats Stallworth have to do with Bush? Stallworth was traded because they thought 7th round draft pick Colston could handle the job. Btw, Colston has caught 8 balls for 102 yards and 2 TD's. They also got MLB Simoneau in the trade, who has started both games at MLBer for us.

I am not saying Mario is a bust, but you can no way be happy about his performance thus far, I don't care how big of a homer you claim to be.

Colston does look good....

If you don't watch the game and only look at stats you'd be dissapointed with a lot of players that are supposed to be doing big things...It's harder to judge a DE's success compared to a RB/WR/KR....He has 3 ways he can build his stats...All people care about with Mario is Sacks....

kingh99
09-18-2006, 07:41 PM
So far he's a major bust because the surface is so much faster than he played on in college most Saturdays. This league rewards speed rushers, little guys who can tunnel past OT's. I cannot believe the schedule that made our young team play in Indy the second week. Indy's surface is a lightening fast track. Putting Spencer up against the preeminent pass rusher on his home surface, poor kid. It makes me sick to death Spencer got hurt bad.

Again, Mario is looking to hook arms with guys and wrestle. He's a tackle in this league. He aint no edge rusher on a fast track. That would be the guys for Indy.

PoolMaster21
09-18-2006, 07:49 PM

Exactly - I'm a Giants fan, and I remember how everyone thought that amiable, overweight kid from a small Texas school would never make it in Gotham.........patience!

Vinny
09-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Exactly - I'm a Giants fan, and I remember how everyone thought that amiable, overweight kid from a small Texas school would never make it in Gotham.........patience!
he was also a second round pick that was injured for most of his first year and was considered raw and a bit of a project. We are paying premium money to Williams at the top of the draft where you aren't supposed to be a project.

PoolMaster21
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
he was also a second round pick that was injured for most of his first year and was considered raw and a bit of a project. We are paying premium money to Williams at the top of the draft where you aren't supposed to be a project.

true...........

Vinny
09-18-2006, 07:58 PM
If Mario Williams turns out to be Strahan I'd be happy.

WiiBrawler
09-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Mario Williams Is A Bust

And they found Bin Laden

TreWardTxn
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM

I wonder if any of these Saints fans have actually looked at their remaining schedule. Good for them that they got their two wins right off the bat, cause they don't get to play the Packers and Browns anymore, everyone is getting a bit ahead of themselves. As far as Bush goes; be happy that he's so great catching passes, because he sure isn't running the ball; he'll have a highlight here and there, but not much else....

Dawgnme
09-19-2006, 12:55 AM
As far as Bush goes; be happy that he's so great catching passes, because he sure isn't running the ball; he'll have a highlight here and there, but not much else....

No doubt! If I see that 70-yard punt return for a net 5-yard gain on ESPN one more time...

TK_Gamer
09-19-2006, 05:36 AM

every rookie is a project, what league are you watching?

real
09-19-2006, 07:37 AM
So far he's a major bust because the surface is so much faster than he played on in college most Saturdays. This league rewards speed rushers, little guys who can tunnel past OT's. I cannot believe the schedule that made our young team play in Indy the second week. Indy's surface is a lightening fast track. Putting Spencer up against the preeminent pass rusher on his home surface, poor kid. It makes me sick to death Spencer got hurt bad.

Again, Mario is looking to hook arms with guys and wrestle. He's a tackle in this league. He aint no edge rusher on a fast track. That would be the guys for Indy.

You have absolutely no clue...

srstex
09-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I like Mario, but on game day the BEST need to be on the field NOW and Mario is not it. Weaver & Babin have sacks. Why not start with the players that have accomplished something in this league and bring in fresh-young legs if that doesn't work. Mario will learn more if the players he is working with are succesful.

real
09-19-2006, 08:03 AM
I like Mario, but on game day the BEST need to be on the field NOW and Mario is not it. Weaver & Babin have sacks. Why not start with the players that have accomplished something in this league and bring in fresh-young legs if that doesn't work. Mario will learn more if the players he is working with are succesful.

I don't know if you knew this but...If you have the means go back and watch the Colts game...Mario would have had his first sack when Manning slid down, but he jumped over him and greenwood came in and touched him and got credit for the sack...Rookie Mistake...

1-10-IND18 (14:55) (Shotgun) P.Manning sacked at IND 18 for 0 yards (M.Greenwood).

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20060917_HOU@IND

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
This week should give us a good idea what to expect from Mario, when we play the redskins.....hopefully he will have a better shot at getting to the QB......at least I hope so.....Mario we need you help......:superman:

texan279
09-19-2006, 09:28 AM
This week should give us a good idea what to expect from Mario, when we play the redskins.....hopefully he will have a better shot at getting to the QB......at least I hope so.....Mario we need you help......:superman:

Oh he will have a better shot. Especially since we are playing against immobile Mark Brunell.

texplayer2
09-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh he will have a better shot. Especially since we are playing against immobile Mark Brunell.

Are we hoping he plays well against bad teams? or just wanting to try and get confidence for the future? He needs to play good against all competition. I want to see plays that make my eyes do this :yikes: . And I hope it doesn't just occur against Tenn.(bad team)

run-david-run
09-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Seeing as he is 34, I would think it took him about 34 years to become the Michael Strahan of today...

This fufills my one jackass statement per day...sorry

bomber
09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
OK....I drank the kool aid when we drafted Mario thinking he might be a stud. The first mistake of the new coaching staff. HE HAS NOT DONE ONE THING TO IMPRESS, and our defense gave up over 400 yards. Nice F%$#ing game Texans. We look like last seasonm. TEERRIBLE!

0-6 here we come

ok Mario might be a bust right now but say 2-3 years down the road he will get better and houston will not go 0-6

bomber
09-20-2006, 08:38 AM
What I saw from our defense today made me SICK! This team weill be lucky to win 1 of ita first 6 games.

man all yall sit here and say 0-6 yall aint got no hope and yall say yall texans fans look who we have play what do u expect to go into philly and blow them out and the week after go into indy and put the biggest upset of the nfl it takes time to rebuild a team

cuppacoffee
09-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Whats Stallworth have to do with Bush? Stallworth was traded because they thought 7th round draft pick Colston could handle the job. Btw, Colston has caught 8 balls for 102 yards and 2 TD's. They also got MLB Simoneau in the trade, who has started both games at MLBer
for us..

I was hoping the Texans would have drafted Coulston. Of course this was before we acquired Moulds. I posted this in Feb. during draft discussions.

"Marques Colston
Wide Receiver

6-4, 230, Senior

Harrisburg, PA/Susquehanna Township H.S.

Fifth season on the Hofstra Football roster…Slated to return to a starting role at an outside receiver spot after missing the entire 2004 season with an injury…Solid pro prospect…Is a 2005 Preseason All-Atlantic 10 second team selection by I-AA.org…Needs 791 yards to break Charlie Adams’ Hofstra career receiving yards record…2004: Red-shirted the season with an injury…2003: Started all 12 games…Led team in receiving yards with 910 on 51 receptions…Averaged 17.8 yards per catch…Ranked fifth in the Atlantic 10 in receiving yards per game (75.8)…"

Post on Coulston (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=19095)

What film I've seen on him on espn looks real encouraging for the Saints.

:coffee:

Vinny
09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
ok Mario might be a bust right now but say 2-3 years down the road he will get better and houston will not go 0-6Projects are supposed to be taken in the later rounds since they don't fry your cap waiting on them to "get it".

jlam
09-20-2006, 10:34 AM

Perhaps, but Stallworth would have walked for nothing at the end of the year (contract year and we wouldn't be able to match market value), so we decided to get something for him while we still could. He didn't want to be in N.O. anymore, he wanted a fresh start. I don't claim Mark Simoneau to have the same talent level as Stallworth, but we didn't trade Stallworth for Simoneau. We traded Stallworth for a 4th round (will become 3rd when he signs long-term) pick, with Simoneau thrown in. Trust me, nothing feels worse than letting talented high draft picks go, except getting nothing for them when they leave. We did it with LeCharles Bentley and Darren Howard, and I'm glad we didn't do it with Donte'.

And Colston is looking like the steal of the draft at this point, which certainly softened the blow. 7th round compensatory pick, talk about value.

infantrycak
09-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Projects are supposed to be taken in the later rounds since they don't fry your cap waiting on them to "get it".

cough***VY***cough

Malloy
09-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Damn, I had hoped I had seen the last of this thread but... it's back!!.

Damn :(

Texans86
09-24-2006, 09:36 AM
I wonder if the average playing lifespan of a DE and a RB ever played into the considerations of our FO. Reggie Bush could be really good for a couple years until he loses a step and the defense gets much faster than him. A DE can be solid for nearly a decade. Of course both are purely hypothetical.

Napa Auto Parts
09-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I wonder if the average playing lifespan of a DE and a RB ever played into the considerations of our FO. Reggie Bush could be really good for a couple years until he loses a step and the defense gets much faster than him. A DE can be solid for nearly a decade. Of course both are purely hypothetical.

From the way the off season played i dont think that had anything to do from what has been reported it was all about money.

powerfuldragon
09-24-2006, 10:29 AM
why do people keep reviving this waste of cyberspace?