PDA

View Full Version : Texans vs. Eagles . . First impressions

Marcus
09-10-2006, 03:15 PM
First: the defense

We simply did not get much pressure on McNabb, enabling him to pick the secondary apart. Westbrook didn't help either.

The offense:

No running game, nada. With offense being run-oriented, you have to be successful running the ball. Neither Lundy or Morency was effective.

But . . . I made a comment earlier this week that I'd be willing to eat a loss, if only I could see concrete evidence that Kubiak was indeed making progress with the Carr project. I wanted to see if there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, today, I definately saw that light. As a matter of fact, I think David Carr played his best game in all his 5 years of being here. He wasn't perfect, but I saw poise from him today, I saw him step up into the pocket and hit his receivers downfield . . against an Eagles defense . . . without a running game.

A loss is a loss is a loss . . . but I saw progess. I'll take it.

Porky
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Good observations. I'll state what I put in the game thread, as it seems to fit better here:

Props to Carr today. He looked like a competant NFL QB out there. Payton Manning or Brady good? No, but he just needs to be what he was today. He had a better game today to my eyes that any of the 16 last year. He didn't just settle for the easy dump off, looking downfield often, and spread the ball around. Other than the one slip on the turf, and holding the ball too long a couple of times, he was very good today. I hope to see more of this from Carr. If so, we have a bright future. I give Carr a solid B+ today.

What I want to know is where is the balls to the wall, all out aggressive blitzkrieg defense of Richard Smith? They looked very much on thier heels all day, and let the Eagles dictate the tempo. In short, they looked like a carbon copy of last years "read and react" D. If I were Kubes, I would be reaming out Richard Smith. The Defense was simply awful. F

And, to throw in my 2 cents, I have said it till I was blue in the face for months. I finally stopped saying it, becase I was tired of the usual homerism. Saying your favorite team made a mistake is a punishable offense around here. But, who cares. This is a forum to state your opinion. So, I will say it again - Passing up Bush was a huge mistake, and will come back to bite them in the ass over and over again.

gtexan02
09-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Carr to AJ and Moulds was the only good thing ot come out of today.

Our other game sucked:
OL Protection - Decent
HB/FB/TE protection - Abysmal
Running Game - Deplorable
DL - Disgustingly embarassing
LB Corp - Terrible
Secondary - Hit or miss, especially given the DL

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Mcnabb faked out the defense several times today, he owned the Texas D in the second half.......:brickwall

GP
09-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Ummm....

I have made a long-term commitment to the belief that David Carr could be salvaged. I am not impressed with his performance today.

He killed two drives by tripping on his own, and trying to dance down the chalk when he had plenty of room to stay close to the sideline without risking stepping on the line. That's a potential 2 TDs worth of drives that HE killed all by himself.

O line pass blocking was awful in the second half. None of our TEs picked up big blocks on the guys they were engaging. Our RBs had the same problem. I don't recal seeing audibles by Carr into better plays, and instead saw us getting our arses handed to us all second half.

I felt the Eagles got away with holding on most of their running plays, with blockers grabbing the outside edges of Texans defenders' pads and hanging onto it as Westbrook went around the edges on his big runs.

And we lost. Which always pretty much sucks.

Marcus
09-10-2006, 03:29 PM
And, to throw in my 2 cents, I have said it till I was blue in the face for months. I finally stopped saying it, becase I was tired of the usual homerism. Saying your favorite team made a mistake is a punishable offense around here. But, who cares. This is a forum to state your opinion. So, I will say it again - Passing up Bush was a huge mistake, and will come back to bite them in the ass over and over again.
You may indeed be right, Porky. But if it was . . it was Kubiak's mistake. And IMO, I got to wait a couple of years before I decide he indeed made one.

Wolf
09-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Mcnabb faked out the defense several times today, he owned the Texas D in the second half.......:brickwall

that is what happens when an Offense can establish the run

Wolf
09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
You may indeed be right, Porky. But if it was . . it was Kubiak's mistake. And IMO, I got to wait a couple of years before I decide he indeed made one.

Bush would have held the Eagles under 400 yards offense :ok:

bigbrewster2000
09-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Ummm....

I have made a long-term commitment to the belief that David Carr could be salvaged. I am not impressed with his performance today.

He killed two drives by tripping on his own, and trying to dance down the chalk when he had plenty of room to stay close to the sideline without risking stepping on the line. That's a potential 2 TDs worth of drives that HE killed all by himself.

O line pass blocking was awful in the second half. None of our TEs picked up big blocks on the guys they were engaging. Our RBs had the same problem. I don't recal seeing audibles by Carr into better plays, and instead saw us getting our arses handed to us all second half.

I felt the Eagles got away with holding on most of their running plays, with blockers grabbing the outside edges of Texans defenders' pads and hanging onto it as Westbrook went around the edges on his big runs.

And we lost. Which always pretty much sucks.

I think that you didn't watch the game for what it was, if you think Carr was the reason why we lost. Our Defense looked like crap and Carr played just fine. You are a troll.

Goldeagle
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
We just got beat by a better team. They adjusted and we did not. I thought we came out with heart and emotion, but they just made better plays and better play calling on their part.

I dont think anyone looked to bad but our O-line and PUTZier who looked horrible with the dropped pass in his hands and the pathetic attempt to block Kearse...Then again that is the scheme and is on the coach rather than Putzier.

Brandon420tx
09-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Carr to AJ and Moulds was the only good thing ot come out of today.

Our other game sucked:
OL Protection - Decent
HB/FB/TE protection - Abysmal
Running Game - Deplorable
DL - Disgustingly embarassing
LB Corp - Terrible
Secondary - Hit or miss, especially given the DL

I have been ripping the LB Corp all offseason and preseason. Demeco looked pretty good, Greenwood still showed that he likes to hit people... after 5 yards, but I had to eat crow on that because he had a nice stop for no gain in the fourth ... you know, when we all knew they were running to kill clock ... but I digress.

LB Corp - Not terrible, Bad to below average.

TANSTAAFL
09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Face it....the Iggles are generally a better team with a Coaching staff and scheme that has been quite successful for many years. Houston on the other hand is starting relatively new on both sides. There is gonna be a definative learning curve on both sides of the ball. To expect immediate results, day one, against a quality opponent is a bit much. The key is to watch the progression through the season. And please leave Bush outta it. He had, what 60yrds or so against the Browns. Do you really think he would have done better against Philly. Just look what they did to the Chargers running game last year.

Divebomb
09-10-2006, 03:46 PM
QB = C+ He needs to deliver in the Red Zone and pick up the blitz
HB = D - Where were the guys during the first Quarter
OL = B - Played well to have 7 men comming every second and third down
DL = F Mario is going to take alot of work to become a DT because the _ Texans dont seem to like the idea of rushing him off the edge!

LB = C Played well on the inside rush but could not stop the Toss. Very weak pass protection.
DB = A- Only gave up one really huge play because of bad reads. It is hard to defend the pass when you give McNabb 7 seconds to sit in the pocket.

wags
09-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Jameel Cook blew up someone and then made the tackle on the first kickoff. Sweet play Jameel!!!

Carr looked better which is encouraging. He made some good throws, scrambled out of one or two potential sacks, and generally looked more poised in the pocket. He's far from Brady but he was better than he has been. I'm with Kubiak in that as long as he improves each week we will be ok as a team.

Our running game sucked DONKEY @#$%!!!!!!

CC Brown bit on the play action and left Stallworth open by 30 yards!!! I swear that Andy Reid turned to someone on the sidelines and said "watch this" before the play. He knew Brown would bite.

Mario Williams played bad. Maybe he needs to lose weight or something because he looks like he has no speed.

Peek ran sideline to sideline faster than Demeco on a McNabb scramble.

Our Linebackers are brutal. Orr is slow and Greenwood is as physical as a dead fish handshake.

Looked like we really did rotate our guards throughout the game.

Nice trip Carr, see you next fall.

Flanagan wasn't quick enough on a screen and the play ended up a loss for 5 yards.

Putz and Morency gave up one sack each. :brickwall

Our defense SUCKS!!!

I swear Sanders gave Greg Lewis a first down. Sanders was sitting at the first down line and waited for Greg Lewis to run at him. :confused: :um: :slap:

GP
09-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I think that you didn't watch the game for what it was, if you think Carr was the reason why we lost. Our Defense looked like crap and Carr played just fine. You are a troll.

I'm not a troll. I just have high standards for the guy I have defended since our last regular season game. I get that much: I get to break him down when I've spent more time on this board in a weekend than you've spent in an entire year.

Facts: He killed two drives by himself when we had GREAT momentum. Two drives that "might" have resulted in 2 TDs. But we'll never know, will we?

You and your 138 posts have no place to label me a "troll."

You guys who have "The Woodlands" as your location seem to have a knack for acting like you know everything and everyone else is stupid.

Brandon420tx
09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Jameel Cook blew up someone and then made the tackle on the first kickoff. Sweet play Jameel!!!

Carr looked better which is encouraging. He made some good throws, scrambled out of one or two potential sacks, and generally looked more poised in the pocket. He's far from Brady but he was better than he has been. I'm with Kubiak in that as long as he improves each week we will be ok as a team.

Our running game sucked DONKEY @#$%!!!!!!

CC Brown bit on the play action and left Stallworth open by 30 yards!!! I swear that Andy Reid turned to someone on the sidelines and said "watch this" before the play. He knew Brown would bite.

Mario Williams played bad. Maybe he needs to lose weight or something because he looks like he has no speed.

Peek ran sideline to sideline faster than Demeco on a McNabb scramble.

Our Linebackers are brutal. Orr is slow and Greenwood is as physical as a dead fish handshake.

Looked like we really did rotate our guards throughout the game.

Nice trip Carr, see you next fall.

Flanagan wasn't quick enough on a screen and the play ended up a loss for 5 yards.

Putz and Morency gave up one sack each. :brickwall

Our defense SUCKS!!!

I swear Sanders gave Greg Lewis a first down. Sanders was sitting at the first down line and waited for Greg Lewis to run at him. :confused: :um: :slap:

You saw that one too! I was so angry man. To his credit thought, he played some nice coverage in the game.

run-david-run
09-10-2006, 04:03 PM
You saw that one too! I was so angry man. To his credit thought, he played some nice coverage in the game.
Que? They threw at Drob about 3 times during the game, most everything else was agianst Sanders...he was brutal at times

Brandon420tx
09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Que? They threw at Drob about 3 times during the game, most everything else was agianst Sanders...he was brutal at times

If he had held on to those 2 picks, you wouldn't be complaining, I'm more aggrivated with the safety coverage, and the time he should have hit Lewis sooner.

TexanSam
09-10-2006, 04:22 PM
The passing game looked very good in the first quarter.

We had absolutely no running game at all today.

David Carr looked good. He didn't play as well in the 2nd-4th quarters as he did in the 1st, but he didn't play horrible in those other 3 quarters either. He'll improve week by week under Kubiak and by the end of the year, I feel he'll be a very good QB.

Mario Williams sucked. You can't spin it any other way. He was bad.

All our other defensive linemen were bad also. We put absolutely ZERO pass rush on McNabb.

Lewis Sanders shouldn't be starting. He made a few contributions and had some good pass coverage at times, but most of the time Donte Stallworth got the best of him.

Demeco Ryans is going to be good. Real good.

Chad Stanley is awesome.

The new bull during player intros is corny. Bring back the inflatable helmet.

blockhead83
09-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Don't have much new to say...

- Carr looked good. Not great, he didn't go out and win the game on his own shoulders, but considering the circumstances he played like a good starter against a good D. I'm very pleased with what I saw from him, and if he continues to improve we're going to be a much better team than last year.

- Moulds and AJ looked good.

- Our running game sucked, period. Big let down for me, I thought it'd be much improved. Our backs weren't that bad, but the blocking got their lunch handed to them by the Eagles D.

- Mario won't get sacks every game, but he looked fairly pedestrian to my untrained eyes, hopefully he gives us something to cheer about as the season progresses.

- Lewis Sanders and Dunta looked alright to me, alot of the big plays they have up were due to no pass rush. Sanders is good enough to step in at #2 CB, IMO.

- Demeco is going to be a great player for us.

- Babin was outperforming Peek on the edge rush.

That's about it, the bottom line is we got dominated in the trenches. Until either our OL or DL can beat the opposing line consistently, we're going to lose. I thought we did a good job improving our lines in the off-season, but Philly's lines are still considerably better or atleast are playing better together at this point.

GuerillaBlack
09-10-2006, 04:54 PM
DeMeco did well.

Texans Horror
09-10-2006, 05:16 PM
After so many years and so many changes, I am glad to see Houston still has a frustrated QB, a porous OL (this time around, they couldn't even open holes - what gives? they usually could at least run the ball...), and a defense that starts strong but fades. The first series of the offense and defense had me thinking the Texans had turned a corner. The rest of the game reminded me that they hadn't, even with new schemes and everything else.

I think this is cause they are still learning the system and they are playing a lot of young players, again.

Demeco really impressed me. Demeco, Dunta, and Moulds/Johnson were the bright spot in an otherwise denigrated game.

Porky
09-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Bush would have held the Eagles under 400 yards offense :ok:

This may be hard to understand, but when your team has the ball, usually the other one doesn't. Hope that didn't go too far over your head.

run-david-run
09-10-2006, 05:58 PM
If he had held on to those 2 picks, you wouldn't be complaining, I'm more aggrivated with the safety coverage, and the time he should have hit Lewis sooner.
That is definately true, but if he would have held on, they wouldnt be throwing at him so much. That was Drob two years ago...he got 6 or 7 picks and teams stopped throwing at him, thats how its gonna be with everyone else, until they constantly hurt the other team, they wont be respected.

jerek
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Not going to post much until I get to watch the DVR. This is just my first impression.

Richard Smith was killing me today. I don't think our defenders were well prepared for McNabb and Westbrook. I think our playcalling was mostly awful.

The Eagles played better than I gave them credit for. Their O-line was phenomenal but got away with some holding. McNabb was good but he had all day to throw.

Our secondary is a very serious weakness right now. We desperately need P-Buc to step up because Sanders just isn't fast enough to keep up and our safeties are not good enough in coverage.

Our O-line just got dominated.

I'm encouraged by Carr's obvious progress (BTW Carr is not typically given freedom to audible in this offense, so insisting that he should have audibled on X play is probably a stupid argument.) He demonstrated much better pocket awareness and poise, though I thought there were a few plays where he was still unloading too quickly. He looked improved and I like the direction he is going in. I'll need to watch the tape before commenting on his sacks and blame.

Hats off to Philly, they were just the better team today. I liked our progress but there are a lot of little things and a few big things we need to be a lot better at.

That's all I've got until I see my tape.

Texans Horror
09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Our secondary definitely looked weak, but that didn't surprise me. It's been a weak spot for a while now, but we have yet to really do something about it. We just need more skill back there, but there's only so much that can be done in one offseason.

Question: what was up with TJ's helmet? Seemed like it kept popping off. Somebody stitch that thing to his head!

Double Barrel
09-10-2006, 06:28 PM
This may be hard to understand, but when your team has the ball, usually the other one doesn't.

Yep. Our offense was on the field a whole 9 minutes in the second half. Our defense was just worn out because we had no sustained drives.

Our running game was pathetic, at best. Just goes to show why pre-season is fool's gold. I thought the ground game was possibly going to be one of our strengths.

And what happened to Richard Smith's advertised 'agressive defense'? It didn't show up today. idonno:

gjmac2
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Face it....the Iggles are generally a better team with a Coaching staff and scheme that has been quite successful for many years. Houston on the other hand is starting relatively new on both sides. There is gonna be a definative learning curve on both sides of the ball. To expect immediate results, day one, against a quality opponent is a bit much. The key is to watch the progression through the season. And please leave Bush outta it. He had, what 60yrds or so against the Browns. Do you really think he would have done better against Philly. Just look what they did to the Chargers running game last year.

BRAVO!!! 100% correct!!!! :thumbup

Lets keep some perspective. :twocents:

bpergrem3
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
This may be hard to understand, but when your team has the ball, usually the other one doesn't. Hope that didn't go too far over your head.

Let's see Bush get those yards against this Eagles defense. Your not going to compare Bush's performance against Cleveland to our running backs against Philly. We lost to a way better team today. We could have drafted Mario, Bush, and VY and not come close to beating Philly today.:twocents:

Vinny
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
My first impressions was Carr played better, Mario was a bit disapointing, Ryans is going to be a heck of a linebacker, CC Brown bites on run action, Sanders can't cover Stallworth and the first drive gave me hope. We looked like a young, thin team against a better football team. That last part didn't shock me at all...but I'm sure it did for many of you guys as I read your sunshine pumping posts leading up to this game. :)

Porky
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Let's see Bush get those yards against this Eagles defense. Your not going to compare Bush's performance against Cleveland to our running backs against Philly. We lost to a way better team today. We could have drafted Mario, Bush, and VY and not come close to beating Philly today.:twocents:

Was Westbrook a difference maker for Philly today? Did you see the way they used him? That's what Bush would have done for us. Comparing Bush to the way we used our convential RB's tells me you don't understand that their our differences among players, and how they are used.

Brandon420tx
09-10-2006, 06:46 PM
We didn't need any more WRs we needed a running back! (Don't get me wrong I like Morency and Lundy, just trying to put an end to the Bush Man-love)Even if we had one, it probably wouldn't have mattered, Our Line didn't make running lanes.

bpergrem3
09-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Was Westbrook a difference maker for Philly today? Did you see the way they used him? That's what Bush would have done for us. Comparing Bush to the way we used our convential RB's tells me you don't understand that their our differences among players, and how they are used.

We were trying the same things with our backs but the Philly defense was blowing the plays up quicker than that could develop. Put Bush in for Lundy and you would have the same result.

Hervoyel
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I was at the game for a change but this is what I got from this.

We came out hot, Philly adjusted and shut us down. The end.

Mario Williams? Not impressed but I'm still willing to wait. Not many guys at his position blew up in their first game. It's too soon to be reading "Mario is a BUST". I thought he looked like a rookie today.

Charles Spencer? Today he played pretty good IMO. He didn't get as abused as our rookie LT's usually seem to get.

All the same 5 sacks sucks. That's an 80 sack pace. If they don't get that solved ASAP we're going to lose this new, pretty decent David Carr I saw out there.

Speaking of David Carr I was amazed to find him playing much better than the guy who had me so worried in the preseason. That happy-feet wearing jumpy, gun-shy QB might come back but for today he wasn't the problem. The problem was IMO the running game.

Wali Lundy? There's a reason why he was picked in the 6th round and today we saw it. There's also a reason why Gary Kubiak felt it necessary to go out and get Ron Dayne when Denver waived him. Our young backs didn't get it done today. Either that or our line didn't get their blocking done today. Too many times I saw Lundy with no place to cut back. I suspect it was a little of both.

It was step one in the 2006 season. We'll be better over the second half of the season so I'm not too worried right now. I think we're still better than we looked today. Remember we're starting rookies all over the place and giving others playing time. Thats a lot of guys to get their first taste of real NFL action on the same day against a very good Eagles team. Remember also that we were 2-14 last year.

We only have one direction to go in this season and that's up.

Vinny
09-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Great meeting you at the game Herv....You are as grand in person as you are posing on a football message board. It was my pleasure....that's a first impression er... I mean...that's on topic...right?

Hervoyel
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Likewise. It was a pleasure talking to you and we're going to have to find a way to do that again. I'm not a big tailgater but I think it would be really cool if we could find a way to meet at someones tailgate before a game and talk some football.

Typing is great but I'd like to sit back and trade thoughts about what's happening with these guys once the weather cools down and the team starts to form a "pattern".

flylikeaneagle
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
First: the defense

We simply did not get much pressure on McNabb, enabling him to pick the secondary apart. Westbrook didn't help either.

The offense:

No running game, nada. With offense being run-oriented, you have to be successful running the ball. Neither Lundy or Morency was effective.

But . . . I made a comment earlier this week that I'd be willing to eat a loss, if only I could see concrete evidence that Kubiak was indeed making progress with the Carr project. I wanted to see if there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Well, today, I definately saw that light. As a matter of fact, I think David Carr played his best game in all his 5 years of being here. He wasn't perfect, but I saw poise from him today, I saw him step up into the pocket and hit his receivers downfield . . against an Eagles defense . . . without a running game.

A loss is a loss is a loss . . . but I saw progess. I'll take it.

You need to give credit to the Eagles O-Line. They are big and unbelievable today. The Eagles front four on D was just amazing. Do you guys want Dhani Jones. I cannot stand that idiot. We need to get rid of him. Worthless piece of............

I told everyone here about Trent Cole. He will be a probowler this year.... book it. He will lead this team in sacks.

D. Carr was very good today. No Texans fans should put this loss on Carr's shoulders. He balled out the best way he could.

DBCooper
09-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Offense looks like a legitimate West Coast Offense. Carr was hitting the slant and over the middle. Even took a couple of good shots downfield.
The Offensive Line needs to be able to block when the defense overloads the line, not crumble. We have got to get the run going.

The Defensive Line was held on most plays. How do you stop McNabb? Can anyone?
We need better tackling on the running back. Westbrook was everywhere.
Safeties were playing scared. They got schooled by McNabb.

Our two biggest problems last year were Offensive and Defensive Line play.
You get those units clicking and we have ourselves a pretty good football team.

Texans_Chick
09-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I just posted my take on the Chronicle FanBlog:

Link: Eagles beat Texans 24-10: Reaction (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/09/eagles_beat_texans_2410_reacti.html#more)

Story of the game is that veteran lines overmatched the Texans lines on both sides of the ball.

I didn't write too much on the offensive line because I want to watch my TiVO first. Watched a lot of the defensive line play with binoculars.

HeartofHouston
09-10-2006, 08:52 PM
We got no pressure on McNabb..

We are supposed to have a new aggressive defense but i don't see it.

Why are our DBs giving their recievers sooooo much cushion?!!?!?

Our running game was a train wreck!

Carr was decent but still needs to improve to keep me off the draft a QB bandwagon in the up and coming draft.

Seriously... 1st overall pick and he tackles that poorly?!? what's going on!?!

thunderkyss
09-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Good observations. I'll state what I put in the game thread, as it seems to fit better here:

Props to Carr today.

I agree. Props to Carr........ he played better today, than I expected. Hopefully those wideReciever slants will be a part of our offense in the future, as well as Carr looking Downfield.

but onto Reggie Bush....... what difference does it make, if Mario turns out to be a bust?? That alone doesn't mean we should've drafted Reggie. Maybe we should've taken D'Brick. maybe we should have traded down, out of the top 10, get Kiwanuka & Cromortie(sp).......

We've run the ball effectively in the past....... we didn't today....... but we will run the ball in the future, we may have to wait for DD to come back.....

But....... Mario= Bust or not, it doesn't matter. We didn't, and don't need Reggie Bush.

However, I thought it might be interesting had we had Reggie, with the number of times Kubiak ran Morency/Lundi out as a WR...... I've never seen Denver do that, especially not as often as we did today......... maybe GK is trying to tell us something.....

Marcus
09-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I just posted my take on the Chronicle FanBlog:

Link: Eagles beat Texans 24-10: Reaction (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/09/eagles_beat_texans_2410_reacti.html#more)

"And I have to say a part of me dies when after a game like this, people call talk radio shows to scream about how horrible David Carr is. I don't know how he will be long term, but he actually had a pretty good game considering how poorly the run game was going, how much he was getting killed from the blind side, and that he is running a new offense.

I guess it is too much to ask for sports fans to be reasonable."

Did you catch that response from one "fan" who actually cheered for the Texans to lose because they didn't draft Vince?:mad: :hairpull:

nunusguy
09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Losing wasn't disappointing as I expected it. What was disappointing and
discouraging was not being competitive in almost all phases of the game.
Carr's surprising performance and rapid transition from a shaky preseason was encouraging and one of the few bright spots, but one wonders how
quickly his new found composure and focus will be shattered again as in past
seasons as the team falls behind in more games this season and he faces a continued barrage of withering pass rushs.

vtech9
09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't get the bashing of Sanders. Sure he should have been more agressive trying to stop Lewis from getting the first down. Sure he should have held onto the ball when he had the chances for an interception, but overall, he had some pretty good coverage. Dunta got burnt on the 41 yard TD to Stallworth, and almost got burnt for another one to the rookie WR Baskett. If Baskett would have located the ball sooner, it would have been a TD. From what I saw, both Sanders and D. Rob had their good and bad moments, so to slam one and not the other is BS.

thunderkyss
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
All the same 5 sacks sucks. That's an 80 sack pace. If they don't get that solved ASAP we're going to lose this new, pretty decent David Carr I saw out there.

This is a big part of our problem last year.

Capers, Palmer, Pendry botched the fix.

Let's hope Kubiak doesn't panic like the old regime did.......... like some of our fans are....

Vinny
09-10-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't get the bashing of Sanders. Sure he should have been more agressive trying to stop Lewis from getting the first down. Sure he should have held onto the ball when he had the chances for an interception, but overall, he had some pretty good coverage. Dunta got burnt on the 41 yard TD to Stallworth, and almost got burnt for another one to the rookie WR Baskett. If Baskett would have located the ball sooner, it would have been a TD. From what I saw, both Sanders and D. Rob had their good and bad moments, so to slam one and not the other is BS.I wasn't impressed with his game. I thought he was picked on over and over. They were converting 3rd downs at will and Sanders didn't have the speed to play close to Stallworth and take away the short pass.

thunderkyss
09-10-2006, 10:38 PM
We got no pressure on McNabb..

I saw McNabb get flustered......... I saw him throw a pick, and a couple in the dirt. I saw him running around a lot.....

I thought we did fair......... to middle getting pressure on one of the more mobile QBs in the league.

Brandon420tx
09-10-2006, 10:42 PM
I saw McNabb get flustered......... I saw him throw a pick, and a couple in the dirt. I saw him running around a lot.....

I thought we did fair......... to middle getting pressure on one of the more mobile QBs in the league.

To add to your arguement:

Also remember, that the defense had to practice and play differently to account for McNabbs mobility. We didn't pin our ears back like we normally would, Our D-Line had to (try to) control their lanes.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2839&section=N%20Latest%20News
DE N.D. Kalu

(on Eagles QB Donovan McNabb) Hes so talented, with his feet, hes a great leader, he can throw the ball. Hes one of the harder quarterbacks to play, because when you play a guy like (QB Michael) Vick, you just worry about stopping him running or (QB) Peyton Manning, hes just a great passer, but someone like Donovan has a mix of those two, and thats what makes it so hard to defends him.

(on whether playing his first regular season game in his home town against his old team will mean more to him) Like you said, its huge. Even the preseason game for me were huge because ever since I left Rice I have always dreamed about coming back to the state of Texas, and to play in my home town, means that much more. Its going to be exciting this year, anytime I play.

LB DeMeco Ryans

(on Eagles QB Donovan McNabb) Its going to be a big challenge. Hes a great quarterback, a five-time Pro Bowler. Then you have (RB Brian) Westbrook, also a great player. Those are two great guys and they have won a lot of games over the past few years. Its a big challenge for our team, and were really looking forward to it.

Sarg01
09-10-2006, 10:43 PM

The problem is that was the exception. The INT was more a great play by Simmons than a hurried throw by McNabb. I didn't believe Simmons could make that catch, I can excuse McNabb for thinking the same thing. Yes, on a few plays we got some pressure. It was not consistent and rarely on 3rd down.

DBCooper
09-10-2006, 10:45 PM

I saw a few times McNabb was back there having a picnic.

blockhead83
09-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I wasn't impressed with his game. I thought he was picked on over and over. They were converting 3rd downs at will and Sanders didn't have the speed to play close to Stallworth and take away the short pass.

I didn't think Sanders was stellar by any means, but I thought he had a solid performance. His quick recovery on 3rd down of Philly's first series almost ended up in a pick, and he almost intercepted what would have otherwise been a sure TD later by stepping in front of a receiver on a long pass at the goal line. Dunta played better than Sanders overall but Sanders level of coverage was very comparable to Dunta on the majority of plays. He's no long term solution, but he can start for us for the time being without being too much of a liability, IMO. I thought the pass rush was more at fault than the secondary for much of our woes in defending the Eagles pass.

Vinny
09-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I thought he was awful for the most part. He had to give Stallworth too much room since he can't run with him and they exploited that over and over imo.

Runner
09-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Our running game was a train wreck!

Our running game was pathetic, at best. Just goes to show why pre-season is fool's gold. I thought the ground game was possibly going to be one of our strengths.

...a porous OL (this time around, they couldn't even open holes - what gives? they usually could at least run the ball...

What gives? Well, we cut one of the best run blockers this team has had (in regular season games that count). Interesting move for a run oriented team.

But don't worry - Salaam has played for Kubiak before.

Vinny
09-10-2006, 11:37 PM
What gives? Well, we cut one of the best run blockers this team has had (in regular season games that count). Interesting move for a run oriented team.

But don't worry - Salaam has played for Kubiak before.Kinda ironic we ran well in the preseason behind Wand huh?

Runner
09-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Kinda ironic we ran well in the preseason behind Wand huh?

I didn't say that name!

But yes, it is. We ran very well to the left in 2004 too.

Maybe I'm just biased, but if #78 had the same game as #77 did today the board would be lighting him up nit-picking every play.

cbnjwill
09-10-2006, 11:50 PM
lets see we use the number one pick in the draft this yr. used first round pick last yr both on defensive tackles our big free agent signing was a d lineman and this is what we get hmmmmmm...... somethings not right. but hey the important thing is that mario williams is 6'7 300 pounds and has a 40 inch vertical leap who cares if the guy actually makes plays on the field when his stats are so impressive in workouts.what d lineman will we pick next yr in the first round im sure we will pass on adrian peterson for a d lineman who puts up the most reps on the bench press at the combine

eriadoc
09-10-2006, 11:54 PM
I wasn't impressed with his game. I thought he was picked on over and over. They were converting 3rd downs at will and Sanders didn't have the speed to play close to Stallworth and take away the short pass.

Not many players have the speed. Stallworth is probably one of the 5-10 fastest players in the NFL.

I think we all realize Sanders is at best a nickel back posing as a starter, but then again so was Faggins, IMO. What I have been kind of wondering is - where was the safety help on the deep throws to Stallworth? I haven't reviewed my Tivo yet and it's tough to catch everything in person, so I'm asking for perspective.

Vinny
09-11-2006, 12:18 AM
It looked like they were boxing Westbrook and LJ with a DeMeco inside and a S or Orr outside when they went to the flat....This left Sanders with Stallworth giving too much cushion most of the time to stop the shorter routes...off the top of my head. They ran that little in route well and McNabb was sharp. I told Infantrycak they would take advantage of this box in the second half and go the other way. McNabb made some nice throws in the second half.

veazeyt
09-11-2006, 12:34 AM
The reality is....

The Texans looked outstanding in the first quarter, why?

Because the plays were scripted, which means rehearsed. So they played as though they were a fine tuned offense.

Which in counter, is the eagles. They obviously have a better team due to all of the veterans running around and team cohesion.

I underrated Mcnabb, I forgot how good he really is. And Stallworth definitiely helps them a lot. But a healthy Mcnabb and a fine tuned offense like the eagles has to spell trouble for the Texans.

I think its more that The Eagles are going to have a much better go this season. Hopfully, they will go 10-0 to open it up! Then I would not feel so bad.

For The Texans.... just more time together, they will get better...even though this is becoming a cliche.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2006, 12:44 AM

Dude. Who cares?

IF Domanick was healthy, he would have run for 223 yards on the Iggles in this one game and we would have dominated them 45-0... or not. IF we'd have drafted Reggie Bush and he'd played in this game, he would have rushed for -3 yards and not caught a pass. IF we'd have drafted Reggie Bush and he'd played in this game, he would have torn his hamstring. IF we'd have drafted Reggie Bush, he would still be holding out. IF we'd have drafted Reggie Bush, he would have run for 100 yards and caught another 100. It's easy to make up stuff about what Bush would have or could have done. He didn't and he won't. Because he's not here.

IF we'd traded down, we could have gotten Jay Cutler and traded DD to the Giants for Umenyura and traded Carr to the Raiders for Lamont Jordan. Then we would be SB contenders.

IF the Germans had won WWII, we'd be playing soccer now.

IF....

Think about this. If Barry Sanders had gone to a different team with a different scheme and different coaches, we might not even know who he is today. Used properly, he might have propelled the right team to a bunch of Super Bowl victories. OJ Simpson was a total bust his first couple of years because he went to a team that didn't use him right. He didn't get successful until the right coach with the right scheme came in (and even then he never won a championship.) Players don't succeed or fail because of who they are or how talented they are. They succeed or fail by being in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time with the right/wrong people. If Bush is successful in New Orleans that doesn't mean that he would have been successful here. Conversely, if Bush is a bust in New Orleans, he might have been a huge success here. To sit around and theorize and agonize over past draft choices is just mental masturbation. Let it go and move on already.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2006, 12:48 AM
I saw a few times McNabb was back there having a picnic.

No. That was no picnic. He actually had a table and a waiter bring him his dinner.

utahmark
09-11-2006, 12:53 AM

so we would be running a different scheme if we would of drafted bush?

PhillyFan
09-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I said I would be back, and I am. I wont be doing any gloating or anything like that though. Just want to insert my thoughts into one of the threads, and this appears to be the best one for that.

1. David Carr looked a lot better than I had expected. Even after getting hit pretty well, he hopped right back up, and got a few first downs. He looked like an NFL quarterback. He just didnt have the supporting cast to get it done.

2. It saddens me to say, but Wally Lundy looked like crap. I was in a way hoping for more from him, being as he grew up 5 minutes from me. But, he was almost a no show. Granted, the blocking wasnt great, but he didnt make anyone miss.

3. You took Westbrook for granted. Philly fans told you how much of a weapon he was...but I dont think the coaching staff listened. He is a dangerous player from every position on the field.

4. It was actually a more entertaining game than the score indicates. That was one of the best games Ive seen in a while...but then again, that was the first time Ive seen McNabb play in a long time. And he is a true gamer. You can never count him out.

5. Anyone who predicted the Texans to have less than 7 wins is going to look like an imbecile. They looked like a 8 or 9 win team to me yesterday, but they were playing what I consider a very strong opponent.

It was a fun couple of weeks Texans fans. I had a good time hanging out over here. Sadly, we wont be playing again for 4 years. I will be back rooting for you when youre playing NFC East teams though, so good luck. Hope you all have a good and fun season.

nunusguy
09-11-2006, 07:59 AM
5. Anyone who predicted the Texans to have less than 7 wins is going to look like an imbecile. They looked like a 8 or 9 win team to me yesterday, but they were playing what I consider a very strong opponent.

Ok, we really don't need your pity. But that's very nice of you.
But the Eagles are certainly a very good team and should go deep into the
playoffs this year and perhaps beyond.
I'm curious, does your team have a weakness ?

PhillyFan
09-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Ok, we really don't need your pity. But that's very nice of you.
But the Eagles are certainly a very good team and should go deep into the
playoffs this year and perhaps beyond.
I'm curious, does your team have a weakness ?

I think its the truth.

Now, if Kubiak could just script every play of every game, you guys would go undefeated.

Im not sure why he backed off of what worked...but he shouldnt have.

Chance_C
09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I swear that Andy Reid turned to someone on the sidelines and said "watch this" before the play. He knew Brown would bite.

I saw the exact same thing. I posted about it in the game thread during the game yesterday. In fact, he said it twice.

Philadelphia looked like a very good team with no glaring weaknesses. Hat's off to them. It's nice to come on here and talk about Carr's possible evolution into a decent NFL QB. Now if we can get our putting down to go with our driving, we may turn into a pretty good team.

Nice game Carr, AJ, Moulds, Demeco (edited to add TJ)

Come on Mario and the whole Dline, Wali and Vernand (running and pass pro), and last but not least, the O line

PhillyFan
09-11-2006, 10:15 AM
I saw the exact same thing. I posted about it in the game thread during the game yesterday. In fact, he said it twice.

Philadelphia looked like a very good team with no glaring weaknesses. Hat's off to them. It's nice to come on here and talk about Carr's possible evolution into a decent NFL QB. Now if we can get our putting down to go with our driving, we may turn into a pretty good team.

Nice game Carr, AJ, Moulds, Demeco

Come on Mario and the whole Dline, Wali and Vernand (running and pass pro), and last but not least, the O line

And he was smiling while he said it.

It isnt often that you see him smile...let alone be cocky :p

dalemurphy
09-11-2006, 10:16 AM

...And if we were to trade Wali Lundy for Brian Westbrook and play the game again, we'd still get beat by double-digits!

Once again, we were beat badly up front on both sides of the ball. I don't freakin' care about Reggie Bush. I want to see our lines play better!

Chance_C
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM
And he was smiling while he said it

Yeah, he definately said it with an air about him. I knew in my gut that a shot down field was coming, and it came...

Chance_C
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd like to also add that Donovan and Westbrook sold that play fake about as well as it can be done.

run-david-run
09-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I thought he was awful for the most part. He had to give Stallworth too much room since he can't run with him and they exploited that over and over imo.
I agree. It seemed we decided to take Reggie Brown away for the most part by putting Drob on him. But Sanders coudlnt contain Stallworth, so we switched before the half and Brown end up with the TD...Sanders wasnt put into a position to suceed, but he didnt help himself by droping those two that hit him in the hands.

jerek
09-11-2006, 11:57 AM

Which is why we really need Buchanan to pull his head out of his arse and be a starter for us. Not sure where he was supposed to factor in since I believe he came out with an injury.

hollywood_texan
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
My thoughts on the game are two things:

1. The defense had no answer for McNabb's short yardage throws --- McNabb and his receivers put on a clinic. It looked like the Texans were consistently only rushing the down 4 lineman and McNabb threw to the sticks with consistency. Really didn't see the Texans blitz.

2. David Carr had a good game in spurts and the play calling seemed a little off --- David gets these blitz packages because defensive coordinators are going to make David prove himself that he can burn them with the pass. Also, I think the playcalling on third down, particulary in the first part of the game did not do Carr any favors. On 3-10, Carr should be proving himself by throwing the ball downfield, not a running play to Lundy.

The defense is going to have to get aggressive, but the offense needs to put together long consistent drives during the game.

I see this loss more as a coaching issue than the players. I think Kubiak's offensive game plan was too conservative. Carr put up good numbers but it didn't seem like Kubiak made good offensive play calls to give Carr full opportunity to prove himself.

If Kubiak keeps calling the offense like he did on Sunday, defenses are going to continue to stack the line against the run and keep the exotic blitzs coming. I saw this game offensively as Kubiak holding Carr back because of conservative offensive play calling.

Vinny
09-11-2006, 01:39 PM
If Kubiak keeps calling the offense like he did on Sunday, defenses are going to continue to stack the line against the run and keep the exotic blitzs coming. I saw this game offensively as Kubiak holding Carr back because of conservative offensive play calling.Until Carr starts beating teams deep they will run blitz us to death. I told a few of the guys at the game I wish we took deep shots early in the game instead of waiting so long. Teams will take away your strength and make you beat them with your weaker element. If you notice, once the first drive was over the Eagles took away the roll/waggle and forced Carr to beat them from the pocket. Right now it's on Carr to help the run game out by making them pay for stacking the box and run blitzing all the time. Dinking and dunking looks great on the stat line...but it won't win any games.

Porky
09-11-2006, 01:53 PM
...And if we were to trade Wali Lundy for Brian Westbrook and play the game again, we'd still get beat by double-digits!

Once again, we were beat badly up front on both sides of the ball. I don't freakin' care about Reggie Bush. I want to see our lines play better!

So trading Lundy for Westbrook doesn't make us a better team? :ok:

Vinny
09-11-2006, 01:54 PM
So trading Lundy for Westbrook doesn't make us a better team? :ok:not in the unreal world of message boards.

Porky
09-11-2006, 01:57 PM
not in the unreal world of message boards.

Apparently so. :brickwall

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
If you truly expected us to win this game or you have not gotten over the emotional jilting on draft day I can understand how people want blood. However, most sane people will be honest with what happended and did not happen. Our offense stunk except for the first drive and our defense stunk except for the first quarter. We played a very good team on both sides of the ball and against a staff that did what good coordinators do, expose the other team's weaknesses.

They scored 21 points in a 15 minute stretch. We had almost the entire 2nd half to orchestrate a comeback and as usual we were awful in the red zone going for 0-2. Yes we did not turn the ball over the whole game, but against teams like the Eagles you must convert RZ opps to TDs.

We hit hard and we got pressure on McNabb's 5 and 7 step drops. Babin looked good. We got smoked on the 3 step drops which were aplenty and I am not sure what Hall of Fame DE outside of Too Tall Jones would have an impact against a WCO team hitting on all cylinders for a quarter. DeMeco is special. Dunta got toasted, but hit hard. CC Brown looked like a fool. Lewis Sanders may try to hit you, but most will barrell over him. I have a hard time believing we will perform well against a WCO until we get a more tenured secondary who can close and wrap guys before the line to gain. If Lewis Sanders does so in the 2nd quarter, the fragile confidence we had may have not been broken by the next play from scrimmage with McNabb's play action.

This is a 60 minute game and we slept on defense for 15 minutes and slept 3/4 of the game on O. We will get better, I am sure of it. We have some talented young players to be excited about, but they were greener than the Eagles puke green uniforms and the Eagles knew how to exploit it.

WILLIEG
09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Here's my take- D. Carr looked really good compared to previous years. The only thing that bothered me is why he didn't check down whenever the Iggles loaded the Def line with extra pass rushers. He should have recongnized that, but I'm sure that will be part of his new learning process that GK will bring tio his attention. I don't know either if he was still locking unto his potential WR, so if someone could let me know if he improved in that are it would be great. And a Pump Fake would seem to really help D. Carr in not allowing those Def. Linemen to knock down his throws.
The right side of our O-line looked really horrible, espeacially Weigert. McKinney shouldn't be playing or even rotating in for Weary, because he is soft. Spencer made some mistakes fro a rookie and should have never let his man blow pass him and allow a sack. He's young and maybe he will prove me wrong, but I still believe he is better suited as a Guard in this league.
Our RB's looked like crap period!
Our secondary is going to be the weekest link this year. D. Robinson is our best CB, but that isn't saying much, because he is very lucky that he didn't have a couple of big plays happen against him for TD's. He seems to have lost a little in his ability to place himself ion the right postion to make plays during pass coverage. To his credit he is one heck of a tackler. Everyone else is just plan slow out ther in our secondary and can't cover very well at all. I thought that Brown and Earl were good enough to play those postion until I saw there play in the game. I don't know what I was thinking.
The only bright s[ot in our entire LB corp is Ryans. Boy can that kid play or what? Everyone else is below average and that's being nice.
Our Def-line played an alrightgame, but Williams is still locking unto defenders instead of using his hands to get free and make a play. He's young and as long as I see progress from him I'll be happy. T.J. was looking pretty good out there. Peek was flying everwhere on the field and would probably serve the team better playing OLB instead of DE. Babin looked really good and I think he is one of our better DE's and needs to play a lot more. I didn't catch to much of Weavers play at DE, so again if someone could comment on that I would appreciate it. In all I would have liked to seen our Def. blitz a lot more and think Peek would be a better LB than DE.
This is constructive critisism and I'm only pointing out what other fans and i were talking about at the game. As long as we can keep improving and seeing things for what they are I believe this team will eventually find itself and start winning some games in the latter half of the season. What I noticed the most is progress even though we lost, I saw a team getting better and that's what matters most.

SESupergenius
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
QB - David Carr played out of this world in the 1st qtr and really looked good. After that, the offensive line just fell flat. There is not enough credit being thrown around today by all the Carr Haters today, but that is too be expected, the Eagles fans that are actaully unbiased either way have made it a point that Carr did well so those people can just wallow in their "Vince" jerseys. Considering we couldn't run the ball (see below), the QB wasn't going to be very successfull in this type of offense.

RB- Rookies make rookie mistakes...and then some. I expect Dayne to start on this squad by the end of the year if his toe gets better, they just looked intimidated until well into the 3rd quarter. The Eagles have a great front 7 so I'll have to pass judgement more the next few games, but we totally couldn't rely on the running game to set up the pass. RB blocking situation scares me that we will see Rosenfels real soon....and not but design.

OL- Wow...and not in a good way. I thought that our offense would be stale against the Eagles front line, but I didn't think it would be that bad. Spencer just got handled like a rookie today, Pitts and Flanagan actually looked decent, but Weary and Wiegert we getting blown up quite a bit. On one play in particular Weary was shoved back 2 yards behind Carr and if the DT would have just looked right he would have saw Carr and sacked him. I'll chalk this one up to a good dline and unit inexperience, as I was in the trade down and draft D'Brick Ferguson camp, so we still would have not seen a great line this week either way.

TE- Horrific. missing balls, bad blocks, not getting open. Where was our Starter Daniels all game??

D-Line - Mario needs to just stay in 1 spot for a while and get comfortable and confident, right now he's playing too timid, looks lost and out of game shape. Our D-line up the middle looks ok, but we get owned on any screens or misdirections. Peek was just getting manhandled and overall our line was just getting stood up. Imagine if Carr had the time that McNabb did? That was just insane for him to have that much time.

LB- Ryans is all over the place but everyone else is just dumb at reading plays. Get Wong back as soon as possible.

CB- Dunta made some nice tackles in reading the run, but got torched by a receiver that has been with the team for less than a week. This is why I keep telling people he's a 2nd CB and not a top tier CB that can be counted on to make the big play. Sanders actaully had 2 ints in his hands and let them slip away. If we get those 2 int's, it's a whole different ball game. Imagine Dunta on that side, we'd more than likely get the int. Anyone see PBuc? He's missing (not missed however)

Coaches - Good game plan from the beginning, but they didn't make the halftime adjustments as well as the Eagles. Our defensive coordinator fell into a pattern of blitzing after a certain play and the Eagles exposed that with a screen. It kept happening over and over.

I felt that as a team we started off well, something Carr was not doing in preseason, we just couldn't sustain it. We still lack considerable talent at LB, CB, DT and OL, all which were addressed partially in the offseason, however with so many changes to this team it's going to take time.....where have I heard that from? Call me cazy.

SESupergenius
09-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Here's my take- D. Carr looked really good compared to previous years. The only thing that bothered me is why he didn't check down whenever the Iggles loaded the Def line with extra pass rushers. He should have recongnized that, but I'm sure that will be part of his new learning process that GK will bring tio his attention.
I think if he does check down, the Eagles can then check off. They bring in Dawkins to the line, just like Palomalu of the Steelers, and on any give play he can blitz you or drop back into coverage because they are so quick to get into positions. If Carr sees Dawkins come down and Carr changes the play but Dawkins goes back into coverage, Carrs options are limited.

PhillyFan
09-11-2006, 03:18 PM

Nice game Carr, AJ, Moulds, Demeco (edited to add TJ)

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=376820&hl=Watch++This

Vambo, the Marble Eye
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Did anybody at the game wonder why we didn't try running outside more?

We had one pitch to the right side for about 7 yards... then I never saw it again.

srstex
09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
After watching the game, it left me wondering if Capers was calling plays from Miami. The first TD was after a drive that consisted of 66 yards in the air and 10 yards in penalties. Then Kubiak went to the run with no success and stuck with it ? Carr looked like he enjoyed the no huddle, and he looked comfortable running it. The play calling was predictable and that helped to create a great eagle defensive show. This kind of play calling got us to 2-14 last year, and that play calling will make us an easy mark for any team that pays attention.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Did anybody at the game wonder why we didn't try running outside more?

We had one pitch to the right side for about 7 yards... then I never saw it again.

We're waiting for the regular season to start. Don't want to show off the whole playbook in the pre... oh... waittasecond...

Nevermind.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
After watching the game, it left me wondering if Capers was calling plays from Miami. The first TD was after a drive that consisted of 66 yards in the air and 10 yards in penalties. Then Kubiak went to the run with no success and stuck with it ? Carr looked like he enjoyed the no huddle, and he looked comfortable running it. The play calling was predictable and that helped to create a great eagle defensive show. This kind of play calling got us to 2-14 last year, and that play calling will make us an easy mark for any team that pays attention.

I forget who it was during the game thread but there was someone who is normally not a Carr fan who was saying... "why the hell are we trying to run? Put the ball in Carr's hands! He's the only chance we've got!"

It was pretty funny.

BradK10
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
First...can someone get Travis Johnson a working chin strap?

Second...I thought Babin looked pretty decent, definitely super fast off the edge, but many times he just made the tackles job easy by running straight up the field, allowing McNabb to just step up. I still liked his energy.

God Bless you David Carr for finding AJ and Moulds early and often. That made my heart smile.

I'm not even gonna waste time on the running game right now. The Eagles have a good defense, and got embarassed by Denver last year, so that defense and Jim Johnson in particular took this game very seriously, and took out that frustration on us.

Demeco...you the man dawg. My only lead pipe lock prediction of the year is this man wins DROY, no question.

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2006, 10:58 PM
There was a moment in the first quarter that I was actually thinking that the talent on the field was at the same level as the talent on the Cheerleading squad.

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2006, 12:39 AM
There was a moment in the first quarter that I was actually thinking that the talent on the field was at the same level as the talent on the Cheerleading squad.

But unfortunately the difference was greater than you could have imagined... or... so I imagine.