PDA

View Full Version : Guss Scott

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
09-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Any Florida Gator fans here? If there are, you know what a valuable guy Guss Scott is. He was one of the few bright spots during the Zook experiment - made plays all over the field. As a Gator and Texan fan, I couldn't be happier.

El Tejano
09-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Huh?

DBCooper
09-08-2006, 03:07 PM
SS - backs up Earl.

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
09-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Guss Scott......safety.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6854/

RiotCommander
09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Guss Scott......safety.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6854/

Please give me a reason to like this guy. I like Earl because he can really unload on people, but as far as coverage he is lacking. Does this guy have a chance to eventually get the starting job?

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
09-08-2006, 06:32 PM
This guy was/is one of my favorite Gators. He works hard, hits hard, hustles, and makes plays; great run stopper. Whether or not he'll be a starter in the NFL remains to be seen, as he suffered season ending injuries his first two years (he was not injury prone in college, by the way), but he's a really solid football player. I've heard him compared to Donovin Darius.

LORK 88
09-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Heres what my buddy Drew said from another site Im always on (that wont be named), he's a Pats fan:

We were hoping to groom him to become a good special teams player, but after that injury he was never really able to come back and win a job. I believe he set a record for most plays in a career at Florida, as he played pretty much every defensive and ST down throughout his career. I still believe he will be able to contribute on ST, it's just that Belichick vaues ST so much I guess he didn't see a spot for him and another guy to cut to let him on. He has decent speed and is a decent tackler. No real strengths and no real weaknesses, although I have to question his work ethic, as even when he was healthy and the Pats had nearly every DB injured, he wasn't able to get on the field and the Pats 2 FA signings (Hawkins and Stone) beat him out. Hopefully you guys can get the best out of him.

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
09-09-2006, 05:08 PM
A little off the mark. He was only healthy for two games after Rodney Harrison went down, and he did start those two games and played well. At this point, I don't think anyone has any idea how valuable he'll be, because he's had a lot of bad luck with injuries since coming into the league. Time will tell......hope I'm not wrong.

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
09-09-2006, 05:12 PM
From the Patriots website:

2005 Season
2005 (5/2/0/1): Placed on Injured Reserve on Oct. 19, 2005 ... Saw action in his first career NFL contest against the Raiders (9/8/05) ... Made his first career NFL start at safety against San Diego (10/02/05).

Oakland (9/8): Played on special teams coverage units in his first career NFL contest against the Raiders ... Registered a special teams stop. at Carolina (9/18): Saw action at safety on passing downs and collected two solo tackles on defense ... Stopped Kris Mangum short of the first down on a third-and-seven play in the first quarter ... Registered a special teams tackle in coverage duties. at Pittsburgh (9/25): Saw significant action at safety after Rodney Harrison left the game with an injury in the first quarter ... Notched five tackles (4 solo) in the Patriots' 23-20 victory over the Steelers ... Tied for the team lead with two solo special teams stops. San Diego (10/2): Made his first career NFL start at safety and notched five tackles (3 solo) ... Collected one special teams tackle on coverage units. at Atlanta (10/9): Tied for the team lead with seven solo tackles in the Patriots' 31-28 win over the Falcons ... Provided a solid hit and stopped Alge Crumpler short of the first down on a third-and-two play in the third quarter. at Denver (10/16): Inactive.

Extra Points
Guss showed a remarkable nose for the ball in his collegiate career at Florida, forcing a schoolrecord 11 fumbles in his four-year tenure in the Gators' defensive backfield.