PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2006: Can Kubiak bring wins to Houston?

Texan Asylum
09-08-2006, 09:09 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texanspreview&prov=ap&type=lgns

By KRISTIE RIEKEN,
AP Sports Writer
September 8, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Gary Kubiak had just one losing season in his nine-year playing career, and as an assistant coach in Denver he hasn't seen one since 1999.

The Houston Texans have never had a winning record, much less reached the .500 mark.

So what does the perennial winner expect from a team that plummeted to 2-14 last season?

"I just want to see us get better every time out," he said. "I want to see us keep preparing the way we're preparing. I know there'll be some good times and there'll be some tough times, but I just want to see us playing hard and be playing toward a common goal, and that is becoming a winner..."(cont)

HJam72
09-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Just once, for laughs, he really needs to say that he just wants to see these guys execute. :tease:

infantrycak
09-08-2006, 10:37 AM
"I just want to see us get better every time out,"

Where are the people to parse this statement out and make it into Kubiak being a loser because he didn't say "I just want to see us win every game?"

NJ Texan
09-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Where are the people to parse this statement out and make it into Kubiak being a loser because he didn't say "I just want to see us win every game?"

Doing better doesn't imply winning or losing. You can still win the game but play terrible. And the reverse is true as well, they could play their hearts out but still get beaten.

infantrycak
09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Doing better doesn't imply winning or losing. You can still win the game but play terrible. And the reverse is true as well, they could play their hearts out but still get beaten.

It was a reference to a past dumb episode of parsing words too much.

El Tejano
09-08-2006, 10:48 AM
They're in another thread talking about how Carr is already putting the blame for a loss on the running game.

Just sit tight. They will be here in a moment to say that Kubiak is saying this now because he knows Carr isn't the answer anymore.

Grid
09-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Since I am not allowed to give out rep.. i am mentally projecting positive rep at you right now.

Divebomb
09-08-2006, 01:01 PM
NEWS FLASH, no one plays to loose!

edo783
09-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Kind of like the rat hole we went down with "Not a must win game, but have to play well and show improvement" of last year.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
The most important thing is that the players stay healthy this year, ecspecially A.J. we lost him last year along with Domanick, I truely believe if this team stay's healthy, we will go a long way.....:redtowel:

profan
09-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Well i just want to see us execute better. If we can execute better than the other team, then our execution will allow us to improve. I think we showed we can execute in the preseason and hopefully we can continue to execute in the regular season. Improvement began when we executed our previous coaching staff. The previous staff just could not seem to get the players to execute.

afcman
09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I look for us to improve this season. But it's NEXT season that interest me. Especially the next draft.

wags
09-08-2006, 04:10 PM

That's exactly what I thought when I read that. A certain former college QB probably would have b-slapped Kubs for saying that because he doesn't tolerate losing. I'm talking about the winningest college QB ever of course...David Greene.

texflex513
09-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Well i just want to see us execute better. If we can execute better than the other team, then our execution will allow us to improve. I think we showed we can execute in the preseason and hopefully we can continue to execute in the regular season. Improvement began when we executed our previous coaching staff. The previous staff just could not seem to get the players to execute. speaking of dom and crew was that lethal injection or gas chamber?:shades:

PoolMaster21
09-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Well i just want to see us execute better. If we can execute better than the other team, then our execution will allow us to improve. I think we showed we can execute in the preseason and hopefully we can continue to execute in the regular season. Improvement began when we executed our previous coaching staff. The previous staff just could not seem to get the players to execute.

Effort

Execution

Edge

It starts with effort, but undisiplined effort does not lead to execution. An excellent system and outstanding talent are meaningless without executing.

but

For the Texans to finally become a team that exites the fans for something other than existance, we need to be edgy - aggressive on defense, creative on offense, confident in the clutch. The only time we've shown true edge was in our opening game against the Cowboys.

When the defense gets angry and the offense gets confident then we'll have the edge.