PDA

View Full Version : Local Houston Press Texans bashing...

SBTexans08
09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
ARTICLE (http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2006-09-07/news/hairballs.html):brickwall

FUN PAGE (http://www.houstonpress.com/tpls/hou/Art/media/hballsfunpages.pdf):rolleyes:

SESupergenius
09-06-2006, 04:26 PM
We he has them pegged at 6-10, which is where I have them. We are not going to have a playoff year people, we just need to see improvements. Going 6-10 is a good improvement in my book, but most fans are just way to unrealistic and want an instant success after the debacle we've seen over the last year. And I say just the last year because we were 7-9 heading into the 2005 offseason and that's when we made some seriously bad decisions all the way up to the 1st game in 2005

grnydrowave
09-06-2006, 04:29 PM

It's Madden. Not a crystal ball. By the way, Reggie Bush is godly in that game.

Wolf
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
more spindoctoring

Wolf
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
We he has them pegged at 6-10, which is where I have them. We are not going to have a playoff year people, we just need to see improvements. Going 6-10 is a good improvement in my book, but most fans are just way to unrealistic and want an instant success after the debacle we've seen over the last year. And I say just the last year because we were 7-9 heading into the 2005 offseason and that's when we made some seriously bad decisions all the way up to the 1st game in 2005

yep

powerfuldragon
09-06-2006, 04:31 PM
6 - 10 sounds right.

who reads the houston press for sports info... that p. of s. is for kids who think they're trendy and only watch indie movies because they don't want the big studios to get thier cash. have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical? ignore that drivel.

SBTexans08
09-06-2006, 04:37 PM
6 - 10 sounds right.

who reads the houston press for sports info... that p. of s. is for kids who think they're trendy and only watch indie movies because they don't want the big studios to get thier cash. have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical? ignore that drivel.
A co-worker of mine brought one up to me physically. I then figured I'd go into their website to pull it up and it was there. It sucks but hey, I figure the best is to laugh at it and put it behind us, hoping that things turn out for the better from here on out.

Texans_Chick
09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Hey, outta all the things out there on the team, at least it is original.

Things won't change until the team changes.

MightyTExan
09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I thought it was painfully truthful, and funny.

4. 2002: Drafting Jabar Gaffney ahead of Clinton Portis. The writing was on the wall -- Florida RBs are products of the system. Charley ignored the obvious and passed on the future All-Pro Portis.

1. 2004: Casserly signed tackle Todd Wade to a six-year, $30 million contract. Wade played two years and was cut. I'm not sure which was worse, the money they paid or the beating David Carr had to take last year because of the shoddy protection by Wade.

On Madden:
That's Reggie Bush, 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, he of the 1,766 yards rushing (just one big run away from setting an all-time rookie record) and the 404 yards receiving. With Bush, the Texans top the Cowboys in OT and beat the Colts twice (with Reggie getting 316 yards in one game). We assume Bush also walked on water at some point, but the Madden game didn't show it.

michaelm
09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical?

Can't say I have...:whistle:

Wolf
09-06-2006, 05:05 PM

4. 2002: Drafting Jabar Gaffney ahead of Clinton Portis. The writing was on the wall -- Florida RBs are products of the system. Charley ignored the obvious and passed on the future All-Pro Portis.

1. 2004: Casserly signed tackle Todd Wade to a six-year, $30 million contract. Wade played two years and was cut. I'm not sure which was worse, the money they paid or the beating David Carr had to take last year because of the shoddy protection by Wade.

On Madden:
That's Reggie Bush, 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, he of the 1,766 yards rushing (just one big run away from setting an all-time rookie record) and the 404 yards receiving. With Bush, the Texans top the Cowboys in OT and beat the Colts twice (with Reggie getting 316 yards in one game). We assume Bush also walked on water at some point, but the Madden game didn't show it.

I did too..
when I read the Portis thing, I was thinking that some people don't think things through. Portis wouldn't be the RB you see right now due to our OL in 2002 and so on couldn't compare to Denver's Portis wouldn't have had the same am't of production.

and the Bush thing.. I didn't know Bush played defense that could shut down Payton and crew

chuckm
09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I stopped reading at the Clinton Portis blurb ..... the NFL draft is a crap shoot for the most part, highsight is an exact science .....

SESupergenius
09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it. It's not like it was in hindsight that we knew Portis was going to fantastic back, it was more like he was the better player judged by popular opinion at the time. More like Hindsight that had some foresight.

chuckm
09-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it.

and if I had the access and the inclination I could probably dig up a bunch of other threads and posts about other guys that slid to us, weren't taken, and didn't pan out ...

Second Honeymoon
09-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it. It's not like it was in hindsight that we knew Portis was going to fantastic back, it was more like he was the better player judged by popular opinion at the time. More like Hindsight that had some foresight.

Love your avatar, that thing is awesome.

Anywho.....Yup, when Portis was there we could have been all over it but were scared away because of his injury problems in Miami...which have actually still been evident in the NFL. Drafting Carr, Joppru, and Ragone have been big wastes of picks....then you have the horrible signings of Wade, Greenwood, Carr (re-signing), and Riley....

doug ftw

SESupergenius
09-06-2006, 05:21 PM
and if I had the access and the inclination I could probably dig up a bunch of other threads and posts about other guys that slid to us, weren't taken, and didn't pan out ...
I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts B) We always drafted high.

We did pass on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Derrick Johnson recently. We'll see how they turn out.

chuckm
09-06-2006, 05:22 PM
I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts

agreed

I suspect there won't be many because B) We always drafted high.

irrelevent, to a degree, after the 1st round

BigDTexansFan
09-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts B) We always drafted high.

We did pass on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Derrick Johnson recently. We'll see how they turn out.

well look at their preseason stats, Reggie Average, Vince Average...does anyone ever hear about Derrick Johnson...the media blew smoke up his skirt when he was drafted, but I don't recall much after that.:challenge

dirty steve
09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
let's take Portis and put him behind the Texans O-Line circa 2002, see if he is force he was in Denver.

pittbull
09-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Porits may not ahve rushed for 1,500, but he would have rushed for at least 1,200. If DD can rush for 1000 plus, Portis would get that, plus would make the other players better. DD is a good running back, but he doesn't scare defenses the way Portis does. A threat everytime he touches the rock!

run-david-run
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Porits may not ahve rushed for 1,500, but he would have rushed for at least 1,200. If DD can rush for 1000 plus, Portis would get that, plus would make the other players better. DD is a good running back, but he doesn't scare defenses the way Portis does. A threat everytime he touches the rock!
People dont give DD the credit he deserves. In his rookie season, he started 8 games and finished with 1000 yards. Not quite LJ stats, but pretty damn good. Since then, injuries have limited his carries, but he still managed 1700 yards from scrimage his second year. I really dont think not drafting Portis was a huge mistake, drafting Gaffney on the other hand, is subject to far more criticism...

infantrycak
09-06-2006, 06:37 PM

I love how folks virtually always do this--Gaffney was the wrong pick instead of Portis at #33. Folks, Pitts was picked at #50 right in front of Portis at #51. Maybe they should have taken Portis there but if you're playing hindsight put him in the right spot. If you want real hindsight complain about not taking LeCharles Bentley at #33 and Portis at #50.

Wade's contract was a nightmare, but let's not revise the facts--he played 4 years in Miami and was not cut, but signed a contract with Houston as an UFA.

On Madden:
That's Reggie Bush, 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, he of the 1,766 yards rushing

I'll eat my Texans cowboy hat if Bush gets 1766 on the ground this year.

texplayer2
09-06-2006, 09:49 PM
well look at their preseason stats, Reggie Average, Vince Average...does anyone ever hear about Derrick Johnson...the media blew smoke up his skirt when he was drafted, but I don't recall much after that.:challenge

The key word is PRESEASON. We will see soon .

sakebomb
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Portis's own college coach didn't even draft him.

therealdon
09-06-2006, 10:09 PM

It's Madden. Not a crystal ball. By the way, Reggie Bush is godly in that game.

Hell Yeah he is. I put him in on Kick Return to start game.....TD. Got the ball again with turnover on downs and then ran a counter and TD. Two touches two TD's! After that he broke a few long runs and had 1 more Kick return for TD. The guy I was playin just kept kickin it out of bounds after that. I think he got tired cuz i used him like every play but he had a couple TDs on offense too . Don't remember how many yards but it was a lot.

michaelm
09-06-2006, 11:58 PM
but let's not revise the facts--he played 4 years in Miami and was not cut, but signed a contract with Houston as an UFA.

I agree with the rest of your post, but I believe that he meant Wade played two years for us and was cut...

infantrycak
09-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I agree with the rest of your post, but I believe that he meant Wade played two years for us and was cut...

Now I see it. Oops.

TexanFanInCC
09-07-2006, 12:42 AM
stupid question: is the houston press a new local newspaper?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
09-07-2006, 12:53 AM
Plenty of players you could get on the cheap if you had the magic 8-ball. Why would anyone think that a general manager wouldn't miss a diamond in the rough every once in while?

Texans86
09-07-2006, 01:07 AM

I'm not saying it's even close to likely to happening, but if he gets 1766 rushing yards, I'll pay to watch you eat your hat. I'm glad this article was a joke. Madden is fun to play, but impractical.

pittbull
09-07-2006, 08:25 AM
The problem with draft picks past on, there is no way of really telling how the player would have fared on your team. The only determining factor, is guys that end up playing for multiple teams. Talent doesn't stop in one place. For a guy like Clinton Portis, he is a success everywhere he goes. Under different systems, etc. It will be determined what Jabar Gaffney will end up becoming. He is now going to a proven team, with a proven system and winning attitude, if his talent is better than what it showed in Houston, is should show in Philly. As for Pitts, he has been a bright spot for the TExans Overshadowed by the woes of the entire O-line, but durable with multiple positions, andseems to have the ability to be a good, if not great starter along side of better o-linemen.

infantrycak
09-07-2006, 08:43 AM
It will be determined what Jabar Gaffney will end up becoming. He is now going to a proven team, with a proven system and winning attitude, if his talent is better than what it showed in Houston, is should show in Philly.

Gaffney was released by the Eagles.

phantom17
09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Can't say I have...:whistle:

Me too:spy: :hides: !

Snapple
09-07-2006, 06:43 PM

Barry Sanders couldn't get 1766 yards in New Orleans this year, because they have a crappy O-line, and whoever is in there has to split carries with a pro bowler in Deuce McAllister.

Even if Bush ends up being excellent, he will have a hard time getting 1000 yards this year, if only because of those two things.

By the way, I loved the "Lil Texans fun page." Hey, at least it's original, and I found it kinda humorous.